[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1488602385033.jpg (69 KB, 630x420)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
If you had the option to retire in 10 years and receive a steady income for the rest of your life would you abandon society and build a comfy cabin in the woods? Go into town ever so often and get supplies/ see how the normies are fucking up civilization.. I think this is my goal. Human interaction let's me down on a daily basis.
>>
In a heartbeat. We're gonna make it, my dude
>>
>>1112150
>We're gonna make it, my dude

I sure hope so, friend.
>>
>>1112136

My friends and I are conspiring to put together our own shire in a semi-rural area once we can get the money together. The only conflict is I want to go to central AZ in the pineywoods I loved as a kid, while the others want to stay in central TX's hill country. I've had asthma and severe allergies since birth and not having regular access to a doctor and medication would be a fate worse than death if I had to stay in cedar fever country.
>>
I'd go half way with a rural house.
>>
>>1112182
have them start a headquarters in tx and create a satellite location in az
recruit some more people for the az location and exchange and barter with the tx location
>>
>>1112182
Id move to az in a heartbeat. I wanted to make my escape in Colorado but unfortunately real estate has gone apeshit since I left home. Fukn tragedy.
>>
>>1112136
Everyone can retire in 10 years "almost" no matter how much money you make now. Learn to save money dude.
>>
>>1112150
Retiring to a cuck shed in the woods =/= making it
>>
>>1112942
What's your idea of making it?
>>
>>1112945
Becoming what OP hates, a normie. Keep the family alive by marrying and having kids, raising future generations. Have enough wealth to live comfortably. Be a contributing member in a community. Genocide shitskins.
>>
>>1112136
I'm working on it right now, the wife and I are just waiting to close on 22 acres of Northern Minnesota lake shore property. She wants to keep working her good union job and wants me to raise children on a farm.

We are all going to make it, but stay the fuck away from me.
>>
No, because if I'm retiring I will be old. When I'm old I don't want to be splitting wood and living in isolation.
>>
>>1112136
these are my feels
do not want to be part of this game anymore
>>
>>1112958

>wants me to raise children on a farm.

Enjoy your divorce and having no job skills when she tires of being married to a housewife
>>
>>1112997
>What is alimony for being a kept spouse

Then I wouldn't even have to work on the farm as much.
>>
>>1112136
don't think i can live without internet sorry
otherwise it would be tempting
>>
>>1112908
i'm not sure it's all about your savings ratio. for 10 years you need about 50%.
>>
>>1113064
Yeah, and if you do not have kids (most young people on this board), you can save 50% quite easily.
>>
>>1112182
Same here. We're trying to decide between AR, OK, and MO. Basically near the Ozarks
>>
File: Vario-499.jpg (87 KB, 1024x560)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1112136
>a comfy cabin in the woods?

nope.

I'd rather buy a camper, and live in the woods... waking everyday to different woods
>>
>>1113324
harder for young people to get well paying jobs
>>
>>1112136

The only thing that would prevent me from saying yes is my son. He's the best thing to ever happen to me and I couldn't bear not seeing him grow up to become a man and father one day.
>>
>>1114063
>he doesn't want woods to make his own by planting fruit trees and building a treehouse with his kid
>>
>>1112136
I just did it
Don't AMA
>>
Yep. Definitely.
>>
>>1113007
Men generally don't get alimony regardless of the circumstances. Hell in some states they are statutorily prohibited from receiving alimony, marital restitution, or child support regardless of the circumstances
>>
>>1114065
Much easier for unmarried childless people to cut expenses
>no you do not need cable/satellite tv, premium internet, a luxury 2 bedroom apartment, designer clothes, or a new vehicle every 3 years
Unless you're bad with money or live in one of the crazy expensive cities like SF, you should be able to live COMFORTABLY on $1000 a month which is right at 30 hours a week at Federal minimum wage
>>
File: absolutewaifutier.jpg (77 KB, 407x460)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>1112136
Only with a wife. I'd off myself within the year without a strong and beautiful woods wife by my side.
>>
>>1114065
How hard are you willing to work? There are semi skilled labor jobs where you can work as many hours and make as much overtime as you can stand. Take floor covering, for example. Do that for a store for a while, then start an LLC and work as a contractor doing the same thing nights and weekends. Eventually after you have built up a customer base you can quit the store altogether and work as a contractor full time, hire your own cash crew and do bigger and bigger jobs. Eventually you will be able to afford a loan on a nice chunk of undeveloped land, and have made the connections to build your house on it on the cheap. I'm in phase one of this now, I went to college like a good goy on loans, couldn't find decent employment in my field, so I quit and started kicking carpet. Paid off my loans in two years. No wife, no kids, saving over 60%.
>>
>>1114163
That's why I'm glad I live in MN, alimony and custody are not based on gender.
>>
>>1114249
>wanting an obese post wall roastie
>>
>>1114276
Yup, I cannot stand to hear any bitching about the cold. And wherever I end up, it's going to get cold. Now don't you have your own way to go, Fleetwood?
>>
>>1112136
No shit this is my retirement plan.
>>
>>1112182
Heh, my wife wants to do that here in IA. She loves the idea of just having a community of our friends living their own lives, but also getting together to share resources every so often. Basically a hippie commune without the "praise the Earth mother" bullshit.

I just want to fuck off to the countryside away from the cities, if friends are invited then that's cool with me.
>>
>>1112136
Don't do it because you hate people. Do it because you love the outdoors. Doing it for the first reason will not satisfy you, because it's not the real solution to your problem.
>>
I could do this after saving for a few years at what I make now by living frugally, but no, I wouldn't either way. Isolation/primitive living is great because of contrast from the life many of us are living now. Turning it full time may seem like a dream, but it will lose it's charm. Find a balance and do both.
>>
>>1112136
No, I'm content with living on a farm and I'd just focus on it if I didn't have to worry about finances. Although I live the woods, living in a shack in the middle of the woods does not sound like the way I'd want to live.
>>
So, I'm nearly complete setting up my income stream, but I'd honestly never consider going out in the woods. As long as you don't have any obligations, you've escaped society.
>>
>>1114063
Literally my life right now. Mine is a fifth wheel though, and I am moving to a metropolitan area forty minutes away to live the normie life through the winter. I've almost made it.
>>
>>1114295
She wants to share her pussy with their dicks while you chop wood. Which is cool if you're into that, I'm not judging.
>>
>>1112951
Back to /pol/ please. I don't disagree with you, but stop shitposting /pol/ onto other boards.
>>
>>1114067
Seems like you should be doing this anyways then. Don't you want to teach him how to not have to do work that makes him want to kill himself his entire life?
>>
>>1113064
Closer to 70%
>>
>>1114295
>he fell for the marriage meme
lmao, enjoy paying alimony for your wifes forest orgies you fucking retarded faggot
>>
>>1112136
Yes, definitely. Your post really resonates with me.
>>
>>1114164
>obviously lives somewhere extremely low cost
>studio apartment rent in Denver is 1400 a month

average wages are good, but living on 1k a month is utter fantasy in any populated area. maybe in bum fuck nowhere 75k cities, but then you don't have jobs that pay 50k+ a year
>>
>>1112136
I've been retired for just under 4 years. I retired at 30 due to a work injury (yes I get an actual pension plus government disability).

Even if I were capable of maintaining a good quality of life away from society and routine medical care (I'm not) I wouldn't abandon society. Too many things that are good about it, even if it is starting to get rotten.

I'll settle for rural living on a ranch.
>>
>>1112136
I put this thread up a few weeks back,i spent a fortnight up there and have welfare coming in every week

best advise out could give was to jack off more to kill time and jump off a bridge.

since then i gained permission to stay on commonage and am building a small cottage from the stone and timber available. even found an old disused shed to use until i have a roof on the cottage.

total cost of the house = $0
>>
Pretty much what the man this book is about did.
>>
>>1114675
>>1114798
>>>/r9k/

>>1114295
Those two were your fault; by mentioning your wife, you opened the doors for their butthurt to flow forth.
I like your/her idea, but be aware that in a communal situation you're gonna need a way to weed out the lazy fuckers. Someone will want to ride coattails and just be a useless shit, you'll need a community-approved method of asshole removal.
In addition to communal lifestyle, you might also look into communal outbuildings (smithy, slaughterhouse, granary, etc). Seems like it would save resources.
>>
>>1114164
>$1000 a month for 30 hours a week at minimum wage
Mississippi's minimum wage is 7.25 mate, slow your roll
Not a poor fag but don't exaggerate
>>
>>1115282
Federal minimum wage is $7.65. Either you're out of date or your state is breaking a lot of laws.

And $7.65 an hour for 30 hours a week is $918, pretty fucking close to my claim.
>>
>>1115178
>or live in one of the crazy expensive cities like SF
Denver is the 4th most expensive city to live in in the US.

And I live in St Louis, the 19th largest metro area on the continent. My mortgage for my 2000sqft house is barely over $1000 ($1068.77).
>>
I make about 70k/yr in a low cost of living area. I have about 100k in cash/investments (renting, no mortage). I probably will not break 100k/yr income (STEM field but not upper management or phd level).

If I drive about 30 mins in any direction I'm in the wilderness. I figure just chill with a decent income close to town and get out when I can. Working full time means I'm always grinding and couldn't really enjoy or maintain the "cabin in the woods" lifestyle. Just get some regular resets with the dogs at least once a month with some backpacking.

Maybe if I bank enough over time I can take a lesser paying job and not give a fuck and do what I want until I die.
>>
I'd live somewhere where my nearest neighbor is at least a mile away. I still enjoy a few things relating to society.
>>
File: M-BLM-School-1.jpg (77 KB, 640x359)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>1114249
>fat white bitch with a watermelon?
>>
>>1114295

Where in IA did you have the idea if I may ask, nothing specific, like N, S, W, E or middle part of IA?
>>
>>1114164
wtf, do you live in Pigfuck, Arkansaw?
>>
>>1115387
>mfw that watermelon is literal niggerbait
>>
>>1115273
How do regular hippie communes deal with slackers? I admit the idea of people not pulling their weight was one I hadn't considered.

>>1115549
Eastern Iowa, ideally somewhere along a river like the Wapsi.
>>
>>1112951
Fucking loool, Thanks for that one m8
>>
>>1115577
>>1115387
Everyone fucking loves watermelon. It is delicous and you can grow it all over the country. The mormons on the Green grow a fuckload of them.
>>
>>1115356
he didn't say mortgage he said live on, as in everything from a car, gas or public transit, insurance, rent, food, utilities, internet, etc. Its a utterly BS claim, 98% of the US has to spend more than 1k a month to live, not chooses to, has to.
>>
File: 1477273862008.png (222 KB, 1011x1049)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
>>1114164
let's settle this, post your 1000 dollars a month "comfortable" life.

>tfw you can't with real numbers
>>
I would do it, but I wouldn't retire in 10 years because I am still young (Would only be like 30 in 10 years.)

Anons I want to leave this city life, I fucking hate it. I love the outdoors a lot but I never have the chance to do it because of where I live (Miami.) I don't want to spend the rest of my life being a wagecuck and dealing with a women that would leave you in a few years taking half your shit.

How can I achieve a life in a nice location surronded by woods?

I am thinking about getting a few trades, and certifications while I am here. Saving some money also sounds like a good idea. I want to be gone ASAP though! In like 5 years.
>>
>>1116211
Step 1 leave miami. Go west, work in forestry or an oil rig. It won't take long to build a small fortune. Especially if youre single.
>>
>>1117021
I want to move to Montana or Wyoming, around that area.

Don't I need a forestry degree? Oil rig sounds cool but dunno how many jobs there are in that field. I am single, and plan on being single.
>>
>>1112136
Yes. That essentially is my goal right now. Except not to a cabin in the woods but to a small town, population like sub 100 and live out the days doing what I love and raising a family. Gotta word hard those 10 years though. Hopefully this engineering shit pays off.
>>
10 years? I plan to do it in 5!
>>
>>1117172
right on motherfucker, same here

good luck anon
>>
>>1115354
You forgot about uncle Sam's cut.
>>
>>1112136
Yes, already on the edge of "civilization," living in a small community, everyone watches out for each other. Out my driveway I can turn left and be in town, "normal" life, but turn right and it eventually turns to dirt, inna woods adventures to be had. I love this life. I still have to work, but no debt, no mortgage, no rent (except property tax, utilities, etc), no car payments, kids almost done with school.

Most important is I'm fucking happy. Life is great, even with all the stupidity I read about.
>>
File: 52cbb4999abe8.jpg (56 KB, 720x445)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1115273
>not claiming production rights on the resources slackers ought to produce one by one
>not monopolizing the means of production and consequently all the sharing decisions for the resources
>not slowly turning the rest of the community into slaves as you and your wife enjoy your sultanate
>>
>>1117376
No he didn't. It's $995 gross subtract 8% social security gets you to $918

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.