[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: laurence02.jpg (471 KB, 950x633)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
Get a Canadian work visa and come work innwoods

Treeplanting.

average 200$ per day

9.5 cents per tree.

25$ camp costs

live in tent. drink and smoke on the job all while loving the great outdoors.
its hard work though, besides lobster fishing its some of the most brutal conditions. snow, rain, sun...Ive been 29 celcius on a Friday, and a foot of snow Monday morning. great fun though

AMA
>>
What are you planting just now? What's your spacing like?
>>
>>1113004
Species you mean? lots of black spruce and jackpine

spacing is 6 feet. 7 feet on white pine
>>
>>1113011

Aye! Are black spruce as annoying and spikey to handle as Sitka?

So what's that? Two paces if you're on uneven ground?
>>
>>1113018

2 steps tree 2 steps tree ya.

depends on the nursey. SB can be nice a firm pods and they stick up nice n straight. most issues are with the pine, oversized pods that come out of the box pre-Jrooted.

Ontario planting with PRT
>>
>>1113018
also my company has wild quality standards. I know the concensus for BC planters is that Ontario is a free for all but on my particular contract you had client on the block everyday digging up trees throwin plots.

my company is an outlier though, I know brinkman is shiesty with quality.
>>
>>1113002
>25$ camp costs
does that mean it costs $25 to camp, or that you receive $25 stipend to defer the cost of food/gear to camp?
>>
>>1113041
you pay 25 dollars for unlimited food, cook, transportation to work
>>
>>1113046
Alright, how do I get a visa?
>>
>>1113002
Out of the way!
>>
>>1113058
D-DOUBLE TIME!!!
>>
>>1113050
i donno im canadian, diversity is our strength just come on up
>>
>>1113002
I work with many tree planters, they all agree its slave labour................................................................................................... basically if you dont do drugs and drink every night you're gonna hate your life.
so, where are ya planting?!!! BC here!
>>
>>1113089
Onatario and QC

hiballr report
>>
>>1113002
are the girls super lonely and suck your doink?

i applied for a company in N. Ontario but didn't hear back :(
>>
File: Ten_tree_hi_res-7.jpg (608 KB, 950x633)
608 KB
608 KB JPG
>>1113102
If you work hard and hit high numbers girls will be all over you.

theres usually a bunch of rookie planters every year. careful though because once females get the hang of it they tend to be faster than males.
They carry the weight better on their hips.

just keep applying, theres dozens of companies and huge percentages of rookies quit within the first few weeks so they want people.

hiring begins in january and februaury and most contracts begin May 1st weather permitting.
>>
>>1113145
What kind of hours are these jobs?
>>
>>1113145
leave camp at 7AM
leave worksite at 5PM

could be 30 min drive or 2 hour
>>
>>1113087
Just got my permanent residency visa... no, it's not that easy, sorry bro. Took years.
>>
Why would I have to come to Canada to do this? Is there nothing similar in the US?
>>
>>1113089
Thats funny. I work at a place that grows the trees to sell to the people who plant them and its slave labour here too.
>>
>>1113002
>average 200$ per day

Fuck that. The way people talk I always thought it was well paid.
>>
right I really want to get a contact next year never planted trees before so BC QC ONT or NB whats the difference where should I apply I was told contracts get posted in the newyear
yes I can be /out/ living in a tent w/nothing isn't all that new for me I've rode freight trains and oogled it out for many years also worked on a family farm

I just want a vacation for a few weeks and to work like a robot make some dosh also gear wise I hear 350-400$ is the norm the get started true false? BOOTS BOOTS BOOTS
>>1113257
whats chopped down is replanted every year and lumber is fucking massive here look how much Canadian lumber you guys import
>>1113050
by applying for one I think you can get a special one for seasonal agriculture work
>>
How do you apply? Is this through a national park agency like ZSI here in the states?
>>
>>1113002
>average 200$ per day
>9.5 cents per tree.

So over 2,100 trees planted each day. About 25$ an hour, if it was an 8-hour day.
>>
How is that possible
>>
>>1113002

>200$ a day

(Citation needed)
>>
>>1113058
Now even i could do tree planting if they gave me a tool like this
>>
File: 1507147762816.jpg (41 KB, 720x518)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1113352
>>1113430
>>1113726

200 a day is like shit-tier rookie 1st year planting. im 5th year and average over 300$ per day.

ive hit 2k at 2pm during 7-5 shifts
>>
>>1113770
>>1113770

12PM **** not 2pm
>>
>>1113368
shovel is 60 bucks, bags around 60 bucks i think I donno...
BC doesnt hire rookies you need atleast 5 years or know people personally
New Brunswick's economy is monopolized by one family , the Irvings and they pay 6 cents a tree compared to 10 cents in the rest of the country and 15-20 cents in BC.

Its not a 2 week vacation, you sign a contract if you decide to skip out before the trees are planted the company can choose not to pay you.
>>
>>1113775
>BC doesnt hire rookies
tabarnak and ya I got family in NB the whole irving thing is creepy as fuck
>Its not a 2 week vacation
correct its hopefully around 2 months I fucking hate the city but can't move atm technically
>>
Get an Australian work visa and come work innpaddock

Lamb marking

https://youtu.be/X-L_BN9FOIw

Average $350 per day
33c a lamb
$30 per day to stay in quarters or live wherever the hell you like
Live in a tent or a house, drink and smoke all you like, no amphetamines, outside all day.
Its hard work though, harder than being a pansy fucking deckie. I've seen it 1C and sunny in the morning and 20C and overcast in the arvo. Great fun though.
>>
>>1113002
>Ive been 29 celcius on a Friday, and a foot of snow Monday morning
Stop bitching about weather that millions of people deal with constantly.
Fucking Americans
>>
File: 1493177381920.gif (885 KB, 480x270)
885 KB
885 KB GIF
>>1114448
>Fucking Americans
>>
>>1113002

>Doesn't mention you likely won't make money your first season because it takes a long time to get the skill down. You're paid by the tree, and the break even point is quite high.

>Doesn't mention you'll be paying food and camp fees that eat a huge chunk of your paycheque.

>You will get STDs because everyone is fucking everyone else.

>You will - not might, will - encounter bears.

>The company doesn't give a fuck about you. You are cheap labour.

Tree planting is good and all, but only if you use it to springboard to something better in forestry. If you want to make money and build a resume you're better off becoming a wildland firefighter.

>T. Wildfire Ranger in Western Canada.
>>
>>1114418
Everything in Oz is also at least 3x as much as it is in that states... $40 for a 700ml bottle of captain Morgan, sheeeeeeit
>>
>>1113002
I've planted tons of heavy as fuck trees all around up here in North Dakota for a nursery and I'm a little Nordic manlet. I've kept up with a 59 year old Mexican dude from Northern Mexico who grew up on a ranch, I could probably do this shit, that and I love showing off when doing physical labor.
>>
>>1114943

This isnt a blog.
>>
>>1114946
I thought this was 4chan?
>>
>>1114669
>you're better off becoming a wildland firefighter.
ya whats the deal with that is it really just doing a 40-50hr course
>>
>>1114448
>Fucking Americans

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone, even an online shitposter, refer to "Canadians" as "Americans".
>>
>>1113257
I live in timber country. Central Georgia. Most of our pine is used for paper production though. But like other anon said, whatever gets cut down is re planted.
>>
Planted in ON in 2016 as a rookie and didn't drink smoke or fuck. You lose your mind pretty quick but not in a bad way. I loved the camp life but the work was shit. Had a Bear almost break into my tent because some asshole left food around the campsite. The feeling of coming home after that was pretty massive. Would recommend to do at least once. The companies don't give a shit about you though and will take as much as they can get from you.
>>
>>1116340
>didn't drink smoke or fuck.
Why not, amigo?
>>
>>1116347
Religious and health reasons. I guess I had a different way of coping with it. I kinda just zoned out when I started planting and would kinda rezone when I needed to fill up my bags. I also had this weird shared fantasy with this other guy from camp about being generals from the Roman empire or some shit like that. It usually changed from day to day, but that helped a ton.
>>
>>1115193
This is Patrick
>>
>>1116358
But fucking some rosties isn't a big part of the reason to take these types of jobs?
>>
>>1116364
I mean I was tempted to do it before hand but our selection of women were pretty greasy. I feel like a good motivator for me though was the money aspect and the fact that once it was over I'd have a shitton of cool experiences and stories to tell. Also I was a baby compared to everyone else there. I turned 18 a Month before I went.
>>
I worked last spring for 2 months despite having bilateral cochlear implants (hearing aids basically, I'm deaf). had to keep them dry and clean, also had to get my parents to mail me some replacement parts.
If I made it, so can you!

chances are you'll be too tired to fuck except on party nights, the night before a day off. everyone gets drunk af since you're often dehydrated, then you go into town for some non-camp food

every contract is a bit different in terms of days off, camp costs etc. Price per tree depends on terrain, employer and province

don't expect to make much if you're a first year planter. it takes time for your body to get used to the motions, and land management is something everybody has trouble with. if you want to plant, get into shape (back, legs, forearms, shoulders and cardio all help) and assume a two year commitment. otherwise you're wasting time and money
>>
File: 1431232417194.gif (897 KB, 500x281)
897 KB
897 KB GIF
>>1116371
>women were pretty greasy
>>
File: jazzmusicstops.jpg (49 KB, 540x720)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1116570
>>
>>1116371
I wanna see a pic of a greasy treeplanter woman now.
>>
>>1116575
What are you, a faggot?
>>
>>1116584
Naw I'm just not into the crazy vegan women that I was with. Had I met the lass in the pic I would have been down for that. Also to be fair everyone gets gross after a certain point too. Also kinda hard to get in their pants when every conversation started with them had to be about either the Patriarchy, the wage gap or some other bullshit thing.
>>
>>1116589
>either the Patriarchy, the wage gap or some other bullshit thing.
Sorry lad, I remove my previous question. I seriously hope you're joking and this is just internet memery but I fear these things are part of real life nowadays. Either way they still deserve a good hate fuck.
>>
>>1116593
>Either way they still deserve a good hate fuck.
This, m8. Nothing like slamming her good with a hand wrapped around her throat when you tell her about the patriarchy.
>>
>>1116593
>>1116607
K E K
Thanks m8
Yeah it's a shame really. It's like that one south park bit "Looks like things have gotten all PC again." "How long do you reckon it'll last this time?"
>>
>>1116607
>when you tell her you are the patriarchy.
ftfy
>>
Why does it pay so much?
>>
>>1114669
>>1115392
>wildland firefighter
Do they make good money?
>>
>>1113002
>average 200$ per day
>9.5 cents per tree.

man, that makes more than two thousand trees planted per day!

about 500 workers * minimum 200 workdays/year * average 2000 trees = 200 fokkin' million trees planted every year, wtfuckin' fuck
>>
>>1113002
What's your PB?

4220 - Ont
3330 - Berta
>>
>>1114418

Hang on just a damn minuet... you're telling me that you make $350 a fucking day for taging/banding/marking lambs? Fuck I'm lucky if I make $350 a day sheering here in the states...
>>
>>1113059
This thing seems like a terribly uneconomic and slow paced way of planting trees. You still need a damn operator to plant the trees and your range is limited to the terrain that an excavator can reach. not to mention that it's pretty damn slow at what it does too. A human can plant the same two trees in the same time.
>>
>>1113352
It's above min wage and you're rent and food bills are subsidized through whatever camp cost you might have arranged. You could realistically TAKE HOME 200$ a day, 6 days a week after taxes with minimal monthly expenses. I have a few friends that survive over the year off 3-4 months of planting. It could be a comfy outdoor lifestyle to work at a ski hill for the winter then work as a tree planter for the spring then get ei for the late summer-fall.
>>
>>1118206
depends on the season (lots of overtime vs not very much), where you're working geographically (ditto, and also government wages adjust for COL), who you're working for (fed base rate is better than contractors but depending on seniority some contractors will pay better at least when you're on a fire), your experience and skills, and a certain amount of dumb luck.

Most contractors will pay around $200 a day plus food and "housing" on a fire to absolute scum rookies. A little more if you're an EMT or have fire experience or get your chainsaw certification or work 16s instead of 14s, less (if you have project work, thinning, etc) or nothing (if you don't) if you're not on a fire.
>>
>>1118635
Those are Ozzy dollhairs.
Translates into about 250 USD.
>>
>>1118635
It's about 30c a head for lamb marking. Great money if you do 2000/day shit if you do 200/day. I'm guessing it averages to $350/day over the season.

$3a head for shearing. Depends what sheep you're on but 200/day is doable most days.

You hear of plenty of Aussie shearers going to Europe to shear but I've only met one who went to the U.S. He basically said it wasn't worth it money wise but the scenery was nice.
>>
>>1115791
>Central GA
Holy shit, I live there. Do you think I could still manage to get a job doing that if I'm a scrawny 19 year old guy with no previous work experience? I know it will be incredibly difficult, and I'm okay with that. It just seems like a good way to improve my life. I'm in a pretty bad place at the moment.
>>
>>1116564
How much did you saved at the end?
>>
>>1119724
And how much am I investing the first season (gear, equipment, etc.)?
>>
Bump
>>
What about the other side of the industry, I'm a tree surgeon in the UK, any way my tickets and experience could be applied to forestry in Canada/US?
>>
>>1120204
Did you get a ticket for an unregistered pruning saw or did you not get consent from the tree?
>>
>>1120206
My mistake. Tickets is a colloquial term for qualifications. As in I am a fully qualified chain saw operator and tree climber.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.