[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: mappaclr.gif (20 KB, 500x283)
20 KB
20 KB GIF
Hey /out/

I got a new job that will have me doing training in Northern PA between Eerie and Pitt for a few months.

Been in FL for 7 years so I'm pumped to see some real woods and maybe do some hiking before the snow. I leave in 8 days.

Any PA natives that could recommend some activities for fall/winter in Northern PA?
>>
File: ocspderrick.jpg (44 KB, 450x299)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1113985
Former Venango resident here. If you enjoy hunting then rifle season for deer is coming right around the corner. Also Cooks Forest/ Allegheny national forest are good places for going hiking. My favorite spot was going Oil Creek State Park and going on the bike trail to bike/run/just walk it for a few hours, it's also got a lot of nice trails to walk around and even has one trail that goes along the entire perimeter of the park.
>>
>>1114072
thank you anon

whats the bear situation up there like?
>>
>>1114081
I've never had too many run ins with them personally, just a couple times. Even still they were just black bears and had no interest with me nor I with them so I just went about my hike. However in some more suburban areas the fuckers like to rummage through garbage cans like no other and it's always a nuisance having to clean up the mess.
>>
Mind the ticks. Lyme disease in PA is legit.
>>
File: IMG_20170620_183451.jpg (781 KB, 3072x1728)
781 KB
781 KB JPG
>>1113985
Most beautiful part of PA is Clinton/Potter/Cameron/Lycoming County area

In wintertime you can go cross country skiing /skating /ice fishing in some of the state parks there
>>
>>1114506
Already had it twice in childhood. Shit sucks. I will be sure to pack my bugspray with DEET.
>>
>>1113985
hunting and hiking is the way to go mate. beautiful winter weather
>>
I personally recommend Moraine State Park near Butler, or McConnels Mills, even better.
>>
>>1114541
This Anon knows.
>>
Anybody live in Allegheny? I want to go hunting and have no friends who do it.
>>
>>1114541
You forgot Sullivan County.
>>
>>1114072
I did Oil Creek's big loop (36 miles) a few weeks ago. It's challenging enough that you can get a feel for what typical Appalachian backpacking is like. The two campsites are really nice, with shelters, latrines, some water, free firewood, and bear boxes. Cuts down on what you need to pack. Plenty of good scenery, too. The abandoned oil stuff makes it pretty unique.
>>
>>1115462
The old oil production equipment is really amazing to see. It gets better when you sign on to a hunting lease in the area and out walking around the woods you see some old equipment from who knows how many years ago.
>>
>>1113985

When I lived up in PA, I'd ski in the winter, but the resorts I went to were down in the southern part of the state (Somerset County). Nothing as impressive as the resorts out in the western US, but perfectly serviceable.
>>
Anyone out by Allentown got some recommendations?
>>
>>1113985
Protip, never call Pittsburgh Pitt
>>
>>1115874
Yeah, listen to this and try not to cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV2jvngnvqg
>>
>>1115874
>Hawk Mountain
>Hickory run state park
>Lehigh gorge state park
>Pinnacle/Pulpit rocks
>state game lands 141/Glen Onoko (pls be respectful to hunters, we paid for that land)
>applachian trail through SGL 168
>Ricketts Glen up by Wilkes Barre
>>
>>1115942
Whattabout them elks?
>>
Kinzua bridge state park is a neat visit. Also northern PA has ideal topography for cross country skiing. I'm from Potter so I could shill all day for God's Country but all that's special wbout it is the crazy amount of state forest land interconnected up there. Perfect for long backpacking or skiing trips. Lots of land to hunt

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.