[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 32100.jpg (88 KB, 1200x1200)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Anybody use a dehydrator for their /out/ meals? Considering buying one, wondering if their worth while. If you use one share some of your recipes
>>
Posting for interest. Would like to know this as well.
>>
>>1114002
I use one for deer jerky and drying fruit. Really want one of the freeze dryers but I feel like they're overpriced. $2k is a little out there
>>
Also interested.
>>
File: 1503394309112.jpg (745 KB, 1261x1158)
745 KB
745 KB JPG
>>1114002
I bought one from amazon for 120 bucks for making beef jerky and dried plants / spices and its amazing.
there are some things you should look after :
a temperature controler (35-85 degree)
metal plates ,dont buy shit with plastic plates
a times is nice but not reallly nececeary
bonus points if its light
>>
>>1114002
I do.

>worth while

Highly.

>share some of your recipes

Why? There's no mystical ingredients you only use for /out/ meals. I just eat the same things at home as I eat while /out/. The only things that change are when the season changes.

You can take just about any meal and dehydrate it for rehydrating later. Just remember that for everything you want to rehydrate, you'll need to bring water for it or filter your water on site. Meaning, if you plan on bringing dehydrated beef stew, but are also packing in water to rehydrate it, you may as well just being canned beef stew. For things like trail mixes, fruit leathers, jerky, etc, it is really great. If you gather your water on site, it is great since it will reduce weight and take up less space.
>>
>>1114002
My jerky:
Teriyaki sauce, full bottle.
Brown sugar, about 1 pound.
Liquid smoke, full bottle.
Favorite bar b que sauce, about 1/4 a bottle.
Vinegar (I use the liquid from a jar of jalapeƱos)
Onion powder (onion salt can be used)
Garlic powder (garlic salt can be used, so can fresh garlic- just be careful on fresh garlic, it can be over powering).
Crushed red pepper optional.
Slice meat to 1/8 inch or so.
Prepare sauce ahead of time. Place each piece of meat in your container of sauce and be sure its completely covered before you pile more on top. I try not to "stack" the slices so that the sauce can percolate in between them all. I kind of swirl the pieces around so their orientation is random.
Marinate at least overnight, I usually go for 24 hours, shaking up the container a couple times to make sure there's no"dry" spots.
Check often once they're in the dehydrator. Some pieces will be ready before others- they can get crispy and turn to leather.

Grapes are a waste of time. You'll get a handful out of a packed dehydrator.
I'm not a fan of bananas, but banana chips turn out well. So do pineapple and peaches.
>>
>>1114002
Any recommendation for one?
>>
>>1114002
got a simple Klarstein for my jerky and fruit leather needs its really great.

don't have much recipies just fruit from the mixer or basic jerky.

it really worth in my opinion. jerky is very nice for plenty of reasons and this makes it very cheap.
if you have a garden or buy cheap seasonal fruits you can make lots of excellent snacks. or veggies or mushrooms for cooking.
>>
>>1114909
How do you know exactly when they're done?
>>
>>1114002

I pretty much only use mine for making beef jerky. Interested in dehydrating meals tho like Joe Robinet.

My jerky recipe is:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe-2103581
>>
i have a cheapo round one. Got it mostly because I used to dumpsterdive a lot of produce. Get a cheap one first to see if you enjoy it. If you wanna expand and do this on a regular basis you could invest in something better and keep the cheap one for things than smell. Like onions and stuff.
Cheap ones gets the same result, only slower.
>>
File: Peppers 2016.jpg (622 KB, 1022x1534)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
>>1115046
Seconding something like this. They are great and easy to clean. The trays on mine have holes that are a bit too big for some of the stuff I dehydrate. I'd love to have some stainless steel trays with holes the size of that mess in your image.

pic related
>>
>>1116215
Takes trial and error.
I have a "bend" test- where it doesn't feel like a wet noodle but still has flex. After awhile you start to recognize it by sight.
When its too dry it won't flex, it will just crumble. Compare that to what a store bought jerky feels like and what raw steak feels like.
>>
File: raisin.jpg (501 KB, 1080x1440)
501 KB
501 KB JPG
>>1114002
They're great. Try getting a mid-priced one with metal trays, the plastic ones get very brittle and crack after you use them for a while.

I mostly dry apples, bananas and peaches for snacks on the trail, they're like candy. Raisins aren't worth the time desu, they're better than store bought but take ages to dry and don't make much(pic related was a full batch).
>>
Look into granola recipes, create a huge batch in one go just takes hella long time
>>
I used one of those round ones when I went of a month long outing. Weekending its hardly worth it unless your enthused about it.
>>
>>1116215

For jerky the key is slicing the beef in the right thickness, drying it after the marinade, and adjusting the amount of hydroscopic component (honey) that adsorbs (yes ADsorb, look it up) moisture. Follow Alton Browns recipe exactly and just adjust these very slightly to your liking.

I also set my dehydrator to the lowest temperature setting (95 deg F) and dehydrate for about 18-24 hours. Plus or minus 2-3 hours isn't going to change anything. Like I said the key is in the amount of honey added, thickness, etc. Speaking of slicing the meat the right thickness, you should freeze the flank steak for 2-3 hours first and use a large knife. Halway through slicing it may start to thaw and you should refreeze it before continuing. I slice it about as thick as thick sliced bacon.

Alton's Recipe for marinade:

>2 lbs flank steak
>2/3 c Worcestershire
>2/3 c Soy sauce
>Tablespoon honey (I use a TEAspoon)
>1 tsp Liquid Smoke
>2 tsp black pepper
>1 tsp onion powder
>1 tbsp Red pepper flakes

I also dust the strips with some extra black pepper and a little salt before dehydrating.
>>
>>1118768
You need to cook dehydrate the jerky at 160 F to kill the bacteria anon...

I used a very similar recipe to this. I used worcester sauce, soy sauce, honey cayenne pepper powder, and onion powder. I made my jerky (Using the oven trick) pretty thick and it came out great, it was delicious.

Hopefully if early next year I can go boar or deer hunting I can make some jerky from that, because the meat can get expensive.
>>
>>1118795
You only need to reduce the amount of moisture until it reaches 10% or less. For instance, biltong is a type of jerky that never uses heat. It uses low humidity conditions and spices as the base. However, most biltong is only brought down to 20% or 30% moisture content. Coriander is the main ingredient for the spices and really wrecks bacteria as well.
>>
File: osmosis.gif (8 KB, 528x432)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
>>1118795
>You need to cook dehydrate the jerky at 160 F to kill the bacteria anon...

Nope actually. The salt content kills basically everything. It's sliced thin enough for the solution to reach everything. I actually eat a couple of the beef strips right out of the marinade and it's delicious.. Remember HS bio and how cells will either explode and die or shrivel up and die when placed in either very hypotonic or hypertonic solutions? There also should be very little bacteria on properly handled beef to begin with.

Dehydrator instruction manuals will advise to use the high temp setting purely for liability reasons. A dehydrator should be used to dehydrate, not cook. The key is convection and relatively dry air, temperature should not be a factor.

this and it explains jerky...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3JetOoEngs
>>
>>1118808
>>1118810
I see, after thinking about it everything makes total sense. Sorry I just assumed it was 160 F because that is what everyone mentions.
Will that temperature make the jerky much better? I assume it will.
>>
>>1118824
i'm not sure if it might be better may be a bit softer as maybe Protein denaturation starts at higher temps?

but some people do it anyways and there regional differences. like some people don't use chicken because of salmonella. but in my country salmonella is so rare you are more likely to get it from pork these days.
>>
>>1118824
The temps really depend on the recipe and cuts you use. Some recipes won't preserve the meat for very long at all while others will preserve it for a very long time. Because we have refrigeration, people have been doing some weird things and calling it "jerky". I've seen a few recipes that recommend you store the "jerky" in the fridge since it will rot if you don't. Thus, you can see a serious problem cropping up.

The best thing to do is to use established recipes instead of venturing out on your own with your own recipes. The ingredients play a major role in the preservation of the meat and not just for flavor.

As far as temperatures go for flavor, yes the flavor of the meat will be changed when you change the temperature it is preserved at.
>>
File: 20170116_143223.jpg (3.5 MB, 5312x2988)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
>>1114002
I got a wesson(I think that's the brand). It's one of the front loading kind, which I like better than the round ones.

Only meals I've done is a burrito filling, pesto pasta, and red beans and rice.

The burrito filling is pico, venison barbacoa, salsa leather, and refried beans. I just buy instant refried beans instead of doing those myself.

The pesto pasta I did sundried tomatoes, olives, pasta, and mushrooms. Just packed the pesti sauce in a small bag.

I've found it's better to dehydrate ingredients separately from each other, rather than dehydrate the entire meal together. For example the mushrooms and olives were done in different trays.

I've got some reusuable nonstick liners but you can use parchment paper instead for easy cleanup.

Overall I've enjoyed making the meals. Got several in the freezer now for a hunting trip next month.

Pic related
>>
I'm thinking about making some machaca, but I'm not sure how I'd go about rehydrating it. Any suggestions? Thinking about making a beef and rice burrito deal.
>>
>>1120334
Just put it in some water and heat it up. The amount of water will determine the consistency. Just keep stirring if you are using very little water and lower the heat a bit.
>>
>>1118768
>For jerky the key is slicing the beef in the right thickness

For people who arnt skilled enough with a kiife to cut it extra think you can also take slightly thicker cutlets and pound them thin with a tenderizer.

I actually prefer beating my meat thin. It makes the jerky much lighter and easier on the teeth.
>>
>>1120386
Also I recommend a marinade composed of soy sauce, terryaki sauce, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper.

I don't have exact numbers, but I usually use a 2:1 ratio of soy to teriyaki. Just enough to cover all the meat when sliced. Then I add the powdered ingredients over the course of about 12 hours until it tastes good and then I let it rest over night.

Once I put the meat on the trays I use a medley of fresh ground peppercorns over the top fora little extra kick.

My father and I have been using this marinade since I was a little kid and everybody loves it. Usually 3-5lbs of venison jerky wont even last a week.
>>
>>1114002
>set oven to low temperature
>put wooden spoon into door so it doesn't close fully
>dry your shit

I bought a dehydrator. Shit takes forever and doesn't offer as much room as the oven.
At the same temperature setting, my oven was drying my hot peppers about 5 times as fast as my dehydrator. Just make sure there's an air flow and not just heat.
>>
>>1120578

You bought a shitty dehydrator then. Air flow and amount of exposure of surface area are the key. Ovens are not dehydrators...and dehydrators are not ovens.
>>
>>1118843
>>1118845
I see. Any recipes you recommend for the low heat jerky?
>>
>>1120782
>low temp dehydrating beef

Should be lean and long grained. Flank steak is great. Use a salty marinade with a tiny bit of honey and dehydrate it 24h.
>>
>>1120578
How many watts does the dehydrator use? Mine is 1,800watts and does a fantastic job so long as it isn't raining outside and the humidity is super high.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.