[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: googletrail.jpg (706 KB, 1465x839)
706 KB
706 KB JPG
Today I was on google earth in my hometown and when I grabbed the street view guy to drop on the map I noticed what looked like a road I'd never seen before. When I dropped the street view guy it was a local trail. So far they have done about 4 of them.

It also looked like the same guys. I had no idea they were doing this.
>>
>>1115244
Well, thats not good.
>>
>>1115244
I use google earth to find unmarked trails.

The rest of your post doesnt make any sense.
>>
>>1115247
Why not?
>>
>>1115289
Google is hiking local trails with their GPS backpack and mapping trails. The pic I posted was a screen grab from a local trail they hiked and mapped.
>>
this can be useful, you can find where all the trails are and use it to avoid other people
>>
>>1115386
>>1115304

People will be able to find trails easier???? maybe it's a hunting/fishing thing but I don't want people shitting up a spot.
>>
File: Capture.png (1.47 MB, 1065x593)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
>>1115403
no i mean like this
pretend the lines are trails, yellow is where i would rather set up camp because its far af from the trails = less likely to have people near it
>>
>>1115403
But trails are already pretty well mapped, at least in the US. What difference do some pictures make?
>>
>>1115453
>that loop in the red trail
>imagining a neat-looking stone and log overpass bridge you walk under and over

>>1115244
Seems like busy work to me. Good way to get a paycheck.
>>
The entire black mountain crest trail 12 miles to the top of mt mitchell is on google street view
>>
>itt people who don't GIS
>>
File: google treks.png (44 KB, 1600x788)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>1115244
wew
>>
>>1115244
i don't know where you live or if it's available but here in UK we can use an ordinance survey map overlay on google earth, you have to download the google earth app and install it, but it tells you everything, the public paths who owns what land, national parks etc. really handy.
>>
>>1115775
>Google Earth is a good GIS program
good luck running a spline interpolation
>>
>>1115244
i use google earth satellite images to find good places to shoot nearby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q36G7MApWYE

vid related is an example of where i go
>>
>>1115763
Sounds like something that would be fun to use with that google maps bike/tredmill thing. Where you pedal/walk on the device while watching a monitor and it advances as you exercise. Nice when it is -40 outside and there's 6 feet of snow.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.