[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: bg.jpg (235 KB, 1272x716)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>Be British
>Decide to go on a day hike in the wilderness of Canada
>Make sure to have up to date paramedicine and "Hillwaking" certifications
>Have advanced medical kit with field sutures, antivenom and defibrillator
>Bring 5 days worth of food, specially calculated down to the last calorie
>Wear the latest RAB™, BG™, and Fjällräven™ clothes
>Wear my new Ray Mears bushlore knife
>Bring a GPS with latest maps, InReach communicator, Iridum satphone, and PLB
>Leave a highly detailed routeplan with the local authorities
>Quickly pick up 2 cans of Bear Spray and Flares to defend form predators.
>Go on a hike on a well known route
>Still somehow manage to get need the local SAR to come get me.

I'm Canadian, and I'm lucky to live very close to some prime /out/ings. I always make sure I'm prepared and have what I need when I go /out/, but I find that people from the UK take a particularly autistic approach to going /out/. Is it because the never get out normally?
>>
>>1117249

They live on land that has been domesticated since, basically, the bronze age.There isn't a square foot that hasn't been touched and probably reshaped by Man.

Expecting them to make a comfy shift to Canadian wilderness is like expecting them to thrive at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.
>>
>>1117264
>There isn't a square foot that hasn't been touched and probably reshaped by Man
pic very related
>>
>>1117286
Wow, almost no /out/ in England.
>>
>>1117249
>Hur dur small country folks with little nature experience take a more precocious approach to /out/doors in countries they're not familiar with
>Hur dur people are consumerist fucks and buy tons of shit they don't really need
Who would have thought that. You probably would be paranoid if you had to go through the urban jungle of Luton or Birmingham.
>>
>>1117286
https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/
says it all really.
>>
>>1117287
Just as well, it's not safe there anymore anyway.
>>
File: 1507649715283.jpg (59 KB, 495x481)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1117298
We've angered the Britbong.

I'd be bloody terrified navigating a grimy cobblestone alleyway that reeks of oily people and rat sex, not to mention the gnashers of the local population or the ungodly accents with which they've sodomized their own language all 360 degrees of fucked.

MFW convicts sent to prison continent end up in an infinitely better place to live than their plague riddled homeland.
>>
>>1117264
>>1117286
>>1117298
>>1117301
>Feelsbad.jpg
I really didn't understand how bad you guys had it. To be fair, my country wouldn't exist without brave britons who decided to go /out/
>>
>>1117286
>all that enclosed farmland area
I feels those poor bastard.
Im french and live near the capital roughly 30km away and finding an /out/ting area away from the capital is tough because everything is farm and the few existing forest are either <1km wide or just filled with roads from inside and surrounded by crop or roads again, not to mention everything is flat.

I browse /out/ with no actual outdoor skills and experience, i just buy outdoor gear and hope someday i'll move out in nearer natural area
>>
>>1117414
Aller au Québec.
>>
>>1117305
What's it like dodging Asian rape gangs?
>>
>>1117249
some may over-do it, it's also generally frowned upon by the /out/door community in the uk to ever need to be rescued or require a call-out, since we also have nothing left that can injure or kill you, first time adventurers in a foreign land may be particularly weary of risks and over compensate for them
>>
>>1117477
If you need assistance for anything other a medical or fall situation in western europe, then people need to take a serious look at themselves and stop going /out/.
>>
>>1117264
Most of Canada and much of North America have remained basically the same since the end of the last ice age. people also forget how enormous the continent is, you can walk a thousand miles in any direction and still be in a lifeless frozen shithole. The most remote and untamed part of the British Isles is somebody's backyard in comparison.
>>
>>1117249
Story time

>Be me.
>Go on hike with best mate
>Finally find secluded spot in provincial wilderness preserve.
>hear yelling and screaming
>quick annon someone's being raped by a bear!!!
>family of Germans crash threw undergrowth.
>fucking tourists
>mfw

Tl;Dr is greentext on mobile the same as real posting?
>>
>>1117524
Yes it is
>>
Why are bongs and ze germans the ones the people always make fun of?
I never see people talking shit of italians, french, spanish, russians, polish. It's always krauts and bongs.
>>
>>1117528
Honestly there's alot more German outdoor tourists in my area senpai. I'm sure everyone sucks equally. especially when they don't know the norms of the area desu....
>>
>>1117301
>>1117286
But Britain has one of the largest wilderness areas in western Europe. Sure most of the country is farmland, but the highlands are god-tier.
>>
I'm Australian, but I always take a map, compass, PLB, and snake bite bandage with me always; unless it's the shortest of short daywalks. It must be the britbong ancestry coming through. I don't want to get lost, or die alone in the bush from a snake bite.
>>
>>1117393
most of those settlers who went /out/ to build what we now call Canada were Scottish and French. most Brittans were / are to tender
>>
>>1117556
>But Britain has one of the largest wilderness areas in western Europe
that's not praise for britain, it's condemnation of the state of /out/ in western europe
>>
>>1117594
Yeah, we get it, Murica has great nature. Now can we just go enjoy being outdoors and stop shitting on everyone else's countries on a nepalese architecture chatroom?
>>
>>1117528
>bongs and ze germans the ones the people always make fun of?
Because they're idea of readiness is reading Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and buying a bunch of gear.

italians - only go /out/ to the discotech
french - france don't go /out/ - quebecois chads of /out/
spanish - stick to scrubbed trails
russians, polis - can survive months off soup made from a single beetroot and a boiled leather belt scrap.
>>
>>1117298
Any good Englishman should feel nervous about walking through Luton or Birmingham.
>>
>>1117528
Germans normally fit the stereotype of being prepared like Brits.
I've seen Frenchmen wander into week long treks through mountain ranges wearing jeans and little dingy toy compasses and roadmaps for navigation.

Frogs are clueless yet somehow still survive.
>>
File: D54G7bD.jpg (695 KB, 2252x1689)
695 KB
695 KB JPG
>>1117693
>Germans normally fit the stereotype of being prepared
do they have a simulator for that too?
>>
>>1117706
Kek, no doubt they do.

>sailing simulator
>Diving simulator
>enough farming simulators to feed Africa
Jesus Christ Germany.
>>
>>1117286

Scotfag here. Actually the majority of the highland ‘wilderness’ has also been sculpted and cleared of the ancient caledonian pine for sheep farming and grouse shooting.

Now we have wind-farms and hydro-electric schemes popping up everywhere, as well as English holiday homes.
>>
>>1117710
>Bridge constructor
I always knew germans were obsessed autists but friggin hell.
>>
File: german games2.jpg (662 KB, 2332x1756)
662 KB
662 KB JPG
>>1117710
work hard play hard
>>
File: 1466065167617.jpg (1.51 MB, 3888x2592)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>1117249
it gives them the illusion that their island is larger than my backyard and they can actually get lost and die to stroke and hypothermia and starvation in a fucking sheep pen where the lowest winter temperature is 10°C.
>>
>>1117796
>>1117706
>no Gothic
>no Two Worlds 2
>no Stalker

fake. this can't be german or it's just a shitty tesco.
>>
>>1117298
This
Big market of people that buy /out/ clothing in the UK for some reason
>>
bong here
I literally need to take a long bus ride or a train to get /out/, and get back, that with a load of soggy and muddy gear on the way back (or just soggy on the way there) isn't fun.
When I do want to camp if I am not at a national park that allows camping (pretty much none) then I need to pay a stupid amount at a camp ground to even pitch up, that is if there is space or one near.
When I am out there is just the option walk about, no hunting, hardly good wild life, people every 20min or so along with roads and buildings, so no truly outdoor feeling.
It is this reason most of us don't go /out/ much in the UK, alot of the people who do are in some scout group or club.
Because we don't go out much and have a shitty outdoors, we prepare much more to not die alone in a Canadian forest from bears while lost. You can never get lost in the UK, but outside it you can.
>>
File: Camping-Gear-in-canoe.jpg (72 KB, 325x250)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1117839
>a bus can take you /out/?
>you pay to set up camp when /out/?

damn, the only time I pay is when I go gal pal who thinks we are safe from grizzlies in a provincial camp site.
My last trip /out/ we spent 8 hours paddling to an uninhabited island, just where we launched the canoe was a 3 hour drive out of the city. have also regularly do multi day canoe trips camping on the shore wherever looks good. thinking of doing a multi week trip next summer, will probably have 3-4 guys and 2 boats.
would like to cross the country one day Vancouver to Halifax over 6000km
>>
>>1118014

Cost of car ownership is also something like quintuple to octuple over there.
>>
>>1118022
still, just looking at your map, I regularly do 3-4 day trips by canoe of the distance from Blackpool to London and that is still without crossing a provincial border and sometimes also without seeing another human other than my fellow paddler. cars or trucks are needed here because sometimes nothing goes to where you want to get to and are parking at a clearing on a logging road.

I would like to go there one day, is camping allowed on the shores of your canals?
>>
>>1117528
When I was in Norway I saw a ton of German tourists, nearly all of them with some Fjällräven gear, don't think I saw anyone from the other countries you listed. There were a few bongs too.
>>
>>1117839
Where do you live? Unless you're in Cornwall, south of London or the east cost (literally why would anyone live in any of those places) you're never more than 3 hours from prime /out/ for camping.
>>
>>1118049
>I would like to go there one day, is camping allowed on the shores of your canals?

That sounds awesome. All those canals would make for amazing comfy paddle trips.
>>
>>1117286
Holy shit, with the exception of some bits of Scotland, this looks mega depressing. No wonder Brits are so degenerate
>>
File: UK_parks.png (141 KB, 1218x1256)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>1117477
Yet retards still get stranded when the Sun goes down without a head torch or lost in fog. When I was hiking Tryfan's North Ridge we passed a guy with nothing but T-Shirt, Shorts, Trainers and a phone (for music). This was clear skies and glorious sunshine but 20 Minutes later it was pissing down with rain and freezing cold. At this point the rocks become lethal slippy and have absolutely no traction. Fuck knows how he got on. I think the trouble with us Brits is because it's pretty tame here, people underestimate the conditions and the skills required and can quickly find themselves in trouble. They think they're just going for a casual walk but before they know it they're calling 999 and asking for mountain rescue.

>>1118177
That makes it look worse than it actually is. This one might be a better indication. Pretty much most national parks are decent for /out/ings although they'll be a bit crowded during the Summer months. To be fair, even our farmlands are pretty comfy for just walking through with a wide network of public footpaths. I mean yeah, the UK doesn't have massive expansive wilderness but it's a tiny island that's been inhabited for thousands of years, what the fuck do you you expect?
>>
>>1117594
>>1117556
>>1117286
>>1117264
Worth noting that the vast majority of that ''moorland and heathland'' was originally forested. Britain had more land under cultivation in the bronze age than it does now, entire primeval forests were stripped for farms, the farms died out and now everyone thinks the moors are some natural wilderness.
Same with all that ''seminatural grassland''
>>
>>1118208
Oh and the vast majority of the forests were cultivated to some degree too.
>>
>>1118200
>our farmlands are pretty comfy for just walking through with a wide network of public footpaths
I can vouch that large portions of those paths through farmland in the South West are Lord of The Rings Shire comfy tier.

The UK is ancient and that history can be seen nearly everywhere.
>>
NZ fucking hates tourists getting lost. It's always either stupid chinks who have no idea what /out/ is or stupid euros who think they're top shit when really NZ bush is much harder than Euro bush.
Example:
>Have a mountain called mt. Taranaki that's about 2500m
>Old volcano that's surrounded by flat and cause it's by the sea it sucks up any cloud and turns it into a fucking ice out on the top.
>Stupid eurotrash think "hurr durr I climb 4000m peak in a day, 2500 m easy"
>They check weather and ignore the fact it's starting to cloud over
>Try to summit but they get caught out by the clouds which cause it to be like -30º with wind chill
>Try call rescue but rescue aren't dumb and wait until weather has calmed down so they don't get killed trying to rescue euro trash
>Get to top of mountain and find bodies of euro trash.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, just finished my shift.
>>
File: 1432057864622.gif (3.97 MB, 395x235)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB GIF
>it's an commonwealth faggots think they're better and tougher than the rest of the world episode.
>>
>Live in South Devon
>Have Dartmoor at my disposal
>It's pretty harsh terrain by British standards at least
>Always bump into dog walkers on the southern side
>The North side which is the more inhospitable part is a total arse ache to get to
>Want to camp on the South Downs
>All farmland and yet more dog walkers

This is the main problem, you never feel like you're /out/ like >>1117839 said. You're never more than 200 metres away from another person I swear and I go /out/ to get away from other people for a few days. Besides friends who I take of course
>>
Murica just mad cos no history/culture
>>
>>1118532
It makes no sense that the South Downs is a national park. There's nothing interesting about the landscape whatsoever, it's exactly the same as 90% of the British mainland.
>>
>>1118208
Get /out/ Lindybeige
>>
>>1118401
>tfw you live in a cosy countryside village in the South West
>>
File: 1482418970767.jpg (94 KB, 601x508)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>1118688
yeh haha america has no culture, who cares if they have over 5 times the land mass and wealth hahaha lol get some histroy america
>>
>>1117380
Danm I have not seen Aussie bant like this in years.
>>
File: Tor.jpg (604 KB, 1200x675)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>>1118713
I know that feel.

Somerset Pride World Wide.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.