[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

What does /out/ think of Darien Gap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzRcf1MTHfU

I'm really planning to cross there next month.
And no I have no plans of illegal migration or anything lol,
I'm already happy with the country I live in, its just that for me,
being able to cross the Darien Gap, is the ultimate mark of /out/doorsman.

And I think its not too scary these days anymore, since I'm sure to meet lots of people on the way who are actually crossing to migrate.
>>
The Gap is Closed
>>
>>1135176
fpbp

Nice to an ancient /trv/ meme still living
>>
>>1135119
nice car
>>
>>1135119
How are you planning on crossing ?
On foot?
Boat?
Motorcycle?
>>
la brecha está cerrada
>>
>>1135119
>being able to cross the Darien Gap, is the ultimate mark of /out/doorsman.
since when?
>>
>>1135119

This Summer a group of Royal Marine Commandos elected to NOT cross the Gap because it was too dangerous.

Are you better than an elite infantry soldier?
>>
File: crispbean.png (69 KB, 296x200)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>1135970
>Are you better than an elite infantry soldier?
Those guy are way down by huge penis.
I am faster
>>
>>1135970
Lol not OP but definately
>>
>>1136707
What
>>
Expect both snakes and giant spiders. Terrible mosquitos. I lived in Panama. Never again.
>>
>>1136860
Sorry for bad penis english was not my first
>>
Try to check before hand with the SENAFRONT in Panama. Thy are the border guard and those guys do not fuck around. I guess on Colombias side it is the same. It is to avoid of them thinking that you are a drug mule or something similiar.
>>
>>1135176
WHY
>>
>>1137385
This is a fair question.
There is no good reason a nice road with a few bridges could not be built across two HUGE FUCKING CONTINENTS !
Jesus fucking incompetent christ, a few peasants with guns is stopping a potentially huge amount of commerce
>>
>>1137394
this. drumpf should build darien bridge instead of mexican wall
>>
>>1137419
He should build both at the same time for the dramatic contrast.

Although really, the main reason nobody builds a bridge is that not that many people want to move things on land from Canada to Chile.

Planes do passenger service better and ships do cargo better.
>>
>1137425
This is true for 99.9 percent of people and cargo, but two continents and only 90 miles of highway?
Look DEEPAH
That .01 percent is more than enough to fund the project
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFjH9rm202U
>>
>>1137425
>>1137394
The ecological impacts are too severe, that's why.

There have been attempts previously but they've been halted. Not to mention the diseases contained within those forests would break into farther regions if the forests are cleared.
>>
>>1137514
>The ecological impacts are too severe, that's why.
Oh for petes fucking sake
>>
>>1138107
What?
>>
>>1138211
No gives a fuck about some newt that might go extinct
>>
>>1138564
That's because you're dumb.
>>
>>1138564
u go extinct fag
>>
>>1138564
nigger do you know what board this is
>>
>>1138792
Go back to pol with your enviro bs
>>
>>1138842
are you retarded
>>
>>1138629
>>1138640
>>1138792
>implying i should care about things that cant survive

Im a human, an easily cold soft skin, no clawed, no fanged, slow, bag of meat that dehydrates quickly, and has to eat often.

If other animals cant do it while I can, fuck em.
>>
>>1138874
Discussion about your retarded pet cause that your stupid teacher brainwashed you about belongs in pol as it has nothing to do with going out
>>
>>1138925
i dont know any teacher that does that nowadays. maybe back in the 60s. stop being a retard. it destroys places you can actually go /out/, and paves the way for tourists.
>>
>>1138925
No, your reactionary rants belong on /pol/.
>>
>>1135119
>And I think its not too scary these days anymore
Almost certainly true. FARC have mostly handed in their guns now and you'd have to be extremely unlucky to run into any remaining conflict with them. A bigger problem would be the general bandits and shitbags that accompany any movement of migrants so prepare to be robbed, not saying it will happen but it's definitely not unlikely. There's not too much cartel violence down that way so it'd probably just be a simple robbery without you ending up flayed alive or some shit.

For everyone else in this thread. One of my life-long dreams has been to convert a 4x4 to something I can live in indefinitely and drive it from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego.
Any advice on how to get it across the Darien Gap?
I'm guessing there aren't any car ferries I can drive it on to so would I be forced to have it shipped? I guess from Panama to ... some port in S America?
>>
>>1139013
>I'm guessing there aren't any car ferries I can drive it on to so would I be forced to have it shipped? I guess from Panama to ... some port in S America?

This is correct and its a huge pain in the ass. Budget 2 weeks and about 3k american for the ordeal. Some guys try to make a system so the truck can be drven but no access to the rv part.
Otherwise the shippers will steal you blind
>>
>>1135968
>since when
Since your mom, you dingus
>>
>>1139013
Honestly, pay a guide. A smuggeler/guide would be able to show you a passable route by 4X4 that wouldn't be too steep of an incline or too deep of a river. Otherwise you would have to survey a route yourself and deal with any natives on your own. This summer I'm debating going down there just to check it out and see what options are available for getting across. If I go I'm going to see if they would even let someone make the north to south transit as both governments in Columbia and Panama have paramilitary types patrolling they area. If it proves to be too dangerous or difficult I 'm going to check out all the ports in Panama and see what rates you can get for a single vehicle shipment. I have seen people taking cargo and making the passage north, but never anyone going south.
>>
>>1140944
>Honestly, pay a guide
wow thats bad advice
no one that is not in dire fucking straits does this

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.