[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: 1509485807045.jpg (165 KB, 1160x1160)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
Hi Out, i'm a high school senior and i'm already sick of the fucking rat race. what career can/should I choose that will let me be /out/ all the time, and how would one go about becoming that?
>>
Forestry and environmental science jobs will have you out and about. If you're going that route get a profession that requires a certification like forester. Stopping at a bsc will get you nowhere.

This still involves being part of the rat race as you will be living from wages. The only real way to escape the rat race is to become an entrepreneur desu.
>>
>>1137116
>Find highly qualified with huge wage career
>Work your ass off for a couple years
>Resign and live comfy live in your own way without worrying about money.

Unless you can find some nice /out/ job you really like, you will always have to remember that you will be working so most of the time it will suck and you want to reduce the time that you spend working to a minimum and the best way to it is a highly paid job.
>>
Instead of finding an /out/ career, find a career that let's you have plenty of free time to go /out/. This usually means self employment.
>>
>>1137116
You should choose whichever career leads to you jumping face-first into a running wood chipper.

Bitch you haven't even SEEN the real world yet, you're a pampered whiny little bitch and will forever be a drain on society. Your prompt and swift death will be a net gain for the world.
>>
>>1137116
> park ranger
> game warden
> fire watcher
> wildfire fighter
All pay shit so take that at what you will
>>
>>1137116
Become an archaeologist. Love this shit.
>>
>>1137116
be a teacher

>all federal holidays
>thanksgiving week
>3 weeks of winter
>1 week spring break
>ALL summer
>>
>>1137310
Depends on the state you’re hired in. Here in NY, forest rangers make a pretty comfy salary.

Also, there’s plenty of conservation jobs available that will allow you to be /out/, OP. Geologists, biologists, environmental engineers, forest rangers, etc etc. It really just depends on what you would be interested in studying and doing as a career.
>>
>>1137116
Fighting forest fires is awesome if you can get on a good enough crew. The I.C. will send you to really badass shit if they know your crew is hardcore.
>>
>>1137317
yeah i think that's why one of my teachers is a teacher, he built his own camper and seems to camp a lot, pretty cool dude
>>
>>1137116
NPS but you have to get in line after Military veterans; good health insurance.
>>
>>1137145
>This usually means self employment.
what this really means is being a NEET
>>
>>1137309
I wanted to say something like this.

OP is screwed. Best option for him is to start doing heroin so he will become a homeless junkie and has an 80% chance of dying and 20% chance of recovering and getting a job so he appreciates a job and a roof over his head.
>>
>>1137378
Self employment is how neeting was supposed to work. You just work when you need to and live your life as a free man the rest of the time.
>>
>>1137116
See if your state has a conservation corps and join.
Started working with the California Conservation corps three seasons back. Now I get to work for the Forest Service on a trail crew. Just dont be a whiny bitch if do this work.
Havent had a bad day since I started.
Also make personal growth a priority in your life and dont take shit from anyone.
Youre young and have a whole life ahead of you. Join the Montana Conservation Corps. Or consider it. Its a great place to start, with alot kids just like you who want to experience true life.
Dont listen to these fucks who say to suffer for two years just you can live a life without true emotion.
Please just do some research. You wont regret it I promise.
>>
>>1137116
Apply for seasonal work at USAjobs. A firefighter crew is /out/ always. Other seasonals as well, but not as good pay. But you get more free time. Prepare to work the summer away as a firefighter
>>
>>1137388
Yeah wildland firefighting pays very well I did a two week roll and made 4000. Cant beat working outside.
>>
>>1137390
I just got back from a role. Didn't do shit, made about the same doing jack shit
>>
>>1137116
Go to trade school. Learn to use tools. Become a man.
>>
>>1137309
>>1137382
>i didnt get to work in a career i wanted so fuck everyone else who tries to
>>
>>1137309
LE REEEEEEEL WERLD
End it now you statist
>>
>>1137116

thanks a lot man. I live in massachusetts but could relocate to any state. montana you say?
>>
>>1137116
Trade school or military, seriously. Neither one is /out/ really but done right either can set you up really well for a leisurely life.
>>
>>1137316
You mean you are one??? Careers like that or geology or even meteorology are super interesting to me but they seem so vague?
What are some actually job titles one night have with a degree in archaeology?
>>
>>1137406
Maybe a less ridiculous way to say what they mean is, its alittle early to say fuck it i hate all but one career field.
>>
>>1137489
Careers* fuck me twice
>>
>>1137489
Because a hundred years ago the government and large corporations did not exist.
Go back to work.
>>
File: aaaaf.jpg (11 KB, 255x198)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1137445
Well, If you are in the US you will need to get a degree in anthropology. With this degree you can go in many directions, one being archaeology. I am still in school (undergrad) but work in the summers doing filed work. Note: to do field work you will need to take a field school (It's a learn on the job sort of thing, a dig that you take as a class). Once you have the field school out of the way you can do field work. This will be in the form of two different possibilities. An archaeological dig, think camping in remote areas but you spend the whole day slowly digging. Or you do survey work, hike around looking for sites. This sort of work is called shovel bumming. low level stuff but pays ok sense you are away from home so much, nothing you could support a family with. If you want to look deeper into it and do it as a life long practice you should think about getting a masters degree.
>>
>>1137116
Computer Science

Now before you get all upset, hear me out. You can work remotely from home with a laptop and 3g... even if home out in the innawoods or innamountains.

If you are more into networking, you can look into getting a job with companies who set up connections in rural areas. That can range from hooking up internet for people who live in the countryside to being part of a project to set up communication/ internet infrastructure in the aforementioned areas. (Look up Boeing's Liquid Robotics for example)

You could also join some kind of wildlife management or research team as the tech guy and get to along with them.

The last thing I can suggest to you is to look into GIS as a career.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>1137116
>haha are you me?
>7 fucking years ago?
Like others have said go into a trade or a career that will quickly net you money that you can afford to retire on.
I went with that way and am a good way on my path to buying my freedom. Even IF you do the smart thing you got no idea how hard the rats are going gnaw at your soul.
>>
>>1137402
How can I become a man anon? I want to be able to do everything myself.
>>
>>1137406
High school was the easiest shit ever. If OP is already that much of a pussy, he's never going to work hard enough to get a career like that. He will end up workin retail for the next 20 years and the only thing keeping him from putting a bullet thru his head is that he spent his gun money on Costco vodka.

Does he really sound like somebody with goals?
>>
>>1137762
Start with answering this question yourself
>>
>>1137116
>Park ranger
State benefits. 60-100k a year depending on where you live. Get to carry a gun and lots of gear payed for by the state. Explore and actually are tasked with enforcing laws meant to preserve the environment. Overall a cushy gig. As a cop in the north east myself I’m thinking about transferring to North Dakota or something.
>>
>>1137496
>a hundred years ago the government and large corporations did not exist
wat.jpg
>>
>>1137583
This. If you're a park ranger you're pretty much stuck with the park that you're assigned to/employed by. But if all you need for work is a laptop and a connection then all of the outdoors becomes your office and you can go anywhere you want.
>>
>>1137317
When I was teaching English abroad one of my co workers was a primary school teacher, the lad had been all over the world and was /out/ as fuck, told me the only reason he got into teaching was the time off.
>>
File: IMG_0653.jpg (368 KB, 982x1024)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
>>1137116
3rd year engineering student here, my grades are pretty terrible, and I'm out of money so I have to start taking loans next year. Really debating dropping out and learning how to weld or become an EMT. Unless you're using college as an investment and are okay with the super competitive dickheads and the high school drama, learn a trade.
>>
>>1137489
Because 100 years ago being a full adult at 14 meant having an unskilled labor job, often while still living with the family that raised you. Standards have changed because we know that as a society we get more out of educating people when they're young and reaping the benefits of an educated populace and skilled workforce later, and government programs and regulations have made that wide-spread.
That's why America is the first country to reach the moon instead of a nation of sweatshops that sells its labor to other, more prosperous countries.

>>1137116
OP, >>1137309 is 100% right that you haven't seen the real world, yet. Don't be discouraged by something you haven't seen for yourself yet. Doors open when you graduate high school and you're going to learn a lot of shit in your early 20s if you put yourself out there and keep an open mind. Also 4chan has never been a great place to ask for advice.
>>
>>1138570
4th year Mech E. here. At a 2.80 GPA, one internship under my belt. Supposed to take an extra semester (2 more courses) after this year. Really fucking deterred though man. Probably just failed a test today. Only two problems, had 1.5 hours to do it and got overwhelmed.
>>
File: CdgrFOtUEAAd-58.jpg (38 KB, 479x473)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1138570
To be honest .... finish what you started. You've made it this far.

Push through it and get the degree, even if you go a different career route later. SHows a future employer in any field that you can stick through a big project to the end. That, to me, is more important than the paper saying you have whatever degree.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>1137116
Work at a farm for a few years, anon. It makes a man healthy and strong. You will be outside most of the time and learning valuable lessons. I highly recommend a mixed farm that has animals and crops. To work hard for a season, watch your work grow, and reap the harvest, that is the meaning of life. Pay is the same as Target and it's harder work but I literally get high off thinking about my farming days do it while you're young.
>>
>>1138633
This. Don't give engineering anon. You are very close to the finish line...
>>
>>1138570
I agree with people telling you to finish it. Even if you go into an unrelated field, you will always get hired over somebody without a college degree given you both have the same experience.
>>
>>1138633
Agreed, as someone who dropped out after three years of college it’s worth keeping with it. It’s the biggest regret of my life dropping out.
>>
>>1138633
......mule?
>>
>>1138570
Are you me? Third year as well and was considering dropping to go back to my full time shitty high school job but is /out/ actually not that shitty. But I’m with the other anons, I’m gonna stick it out and you should too anon. Who knows, maybe I’ll go back to my other job but I don’t want to squander this opportunity I’ve been given.
>>
>>1137583
I'm an Environmental Scientist working as a GIS analyst for an engineering consultancy here in Aus, but it's not a really /out/ job. I do a few environmental surveys and things, but most of my time is spent in the office. Can't even fuck off to the bush and work from home because a lot of my work involves running interference between council and clients. How do I make my GIS career for /out/ based?
>>
>>1140667
>for /out/ based
*more /out/ based
>>
>>1140667
How did you get into your current position, I'm about to finish a BS environmental science and GIS has been one of the most interesting parts of the program
>>
>i'm a high school senior
>i'm already sick of the fucking rat race
go fuck yourself
I'm only like 3 or 4 years older than you, but fuck me, our lives have just started lad.
I've only just begun the "fucking rat race". It's a little too early to assume you're not going to like it seeming you are yet to start.
It just sounds like you yearn for freedom. All of us do when we're teens. That'll come with time. It's got little to do with civilisation. You can have your freedom both innawoods and outtawoods
>>
>>1137116
>Don't spend money on stupid pointless shit
>Don't spend time on stupid pointless shit
>???
>Find yourself living the life you want to live

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.