[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 39 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

How do you get used to the cold
Please accept my offering of a bear gif
>>
File: uh.jpg (80 KB, 500x378)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
Watch the docos on "wild children" and realize you're a pussy. Temperature sensitivity is learned behavior.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3i5x05
>>
>>1137880
Well shit, iv always preferred the heat and had a high heat tolerance but always hated the cold, would like to change that
>>
What are we talking here?
>camping
>hiking
>walking
>sleeping
>fishing
>working
>driving
>sledding
>flying
>biking
>motor cycling
and countless others

fucking what OP
>>
>>1137874
Spend more time in it

I've worked in a freezer for 2 years, the first couple months I could barely stay in for 10-15 minutes, now I can stay in for upwards of 4 hours, and that's with fan forced air blowing temperatures of -15 to -25 around at me
>>
>>1137883
Just the cold in general, Im planning on innawoods shit but Maryland is either really hot or really cold during the year so....cant really get used to the cold
>>
>>1137889
get your shit together, the quality of the board depends on the poster.

what. are. you. gonna. be. doing. in. the cold.

then we can help you, you dont "get used to the cold" unless you are literally 8 years old. sounds harsh, but I/we want to help
>>
>>1137889
the solution is skinny dipping in a freezing cold lake. If you stay there for 15 minutes you will never feel cold ever again in your life. Trust me.
>>
Wear shorts until snow goes above your boots.
>>
>>1137901
Unironically tried this last week in the mountains ( 1200m mountainlet but still) and even though there was a freezing breeze my legs stayed comfy as fuck.
>>
>>1137893
>what are you going to be doing
Most of the time Im currently outside im just taking in the atmosphere or walking doggo. Though I plan on doing a bunch of innawoods type shit when I get a fun
>>
Keep moving.
Have a full belly
Drink hot drinks
Wear a hat or beanie
Dress in layers
Keep track of what parts of you get cold, and cater to that.
>>
Wear one of those moisture wicking polyester shirts like underarmor or wool first . Then wear a warm sweater over that. Kinda heavy long sleeve shirts work too. Then wear a sweatshirt over that. If you want you can wear a vest over that. Up to here is my 32°-20F get up although depending on your tolerence maybe the temp may be a little bit warmer. Then wear a winter jacket that protects against the wind. I've got a nice Spyder one I use. Always layer because I usually take off two layers when hiking as I get warmer. On a calm day at 20-30's F sometimes I have just my first shirt on. As far as pants go if you're gonna be in the snow good moisturizer wicking sweatpants with a light wind and snow proof pair of snow pants over it is great. Watch what you wear on your feet and hands. If you're gonna put the most money into something make it boots and gloves. I mean you can get warm gloves but you can never do anything with your hands. If you're gonna cheap out on gloves get those cotton liner ones and a pair of warm mittens. If not spend money on gloves that don't limit you from doing basically everything but are still warm. As far as boots get something insulated. There's nothing worse than cold feet and cold hands. And then for a hat, I have one with fur and one with wool inside and my head has never been cold. If you get a good jacket scarves may not be as important. If you're gonna be really cold like North Canadian snomobiling then you need a baclava, really warm winter jacket /coat with lots of layers. Really warm mittens, really warm boots, you get it. Hand and toe warmers work, don't disregard them. They work better in mittens though. Definitely saved the nimbleness of my fingers especially when you really need it. Wool socks.
>>
>>1137928
What hat do you reccomend? Ushanka?
As for dressing in layers my usual clothing consists of a hoodie with a tshirt under and long pants
>>
>>1137874
I generally overdress and then if i get too hot I will unzip some layers, remove hat/gloves if necessary
>>
Cold is kinda relative, too. I was working by Fairbanks last winter and it got down to -56F at one point. After the cold snap broke, 25F felt like T-shirt weather.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (54 KB, 800x800)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>1137889
>Maryland
>really cold
>>
>>1137998
>>1137874
>Not being in Northern Quebec where Mercury thermometers stop working because it's so cold.
>Never knowing what it's like to have your hair frozen solid.
>Never tried walking two miles in 8 feet of snow

Do you even cold
>>
>>1138051
>not wearing snowshoes
>not wearing a hat
Why are easterners so cheap
>>
>>1137874
stop being a pussy

t. Alaskan
>>
>>1137998
The farthest north iv been is like...Maine or something. I know cause we went to Canada as a trip one day but never really minded it. Most of the time I head down south with famila but the coldest times I experience are like PA/MD winters
>>
>>1137907
I feel the same way. My legs never get cold.
>>
>>1138083
buthowtho
>>
>>1138182
Opposite for me, its mostly the legs that suffer the most for me in the cold, that or my hands which grow sore and numb
>>
>>1137874
col showers. As cold as you can get. once you are used to that, go for an ice bath.

Enjoy the mammalian diving reflex as your face is submerged in cold water will drop your heart rate and you should be able to hold your breath longer. Shit is dope.
>>
>>1138202
Iv thought about cold showers and will start doing them
>>
File: meme.png (2.12 MB, 1125x1125)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB PNG
exposure and recovery
>>
>>1138195
Get better long johns. Better yet, wear a cheap thin waffle pair under fleece or merino. Extra warmth and it'll probably make them last longer too. Easily remedy.
The top of my feet cold easily if I get any snow on the top of my boots (thinnest part), so I'd need to invest in toe warmers for that. Too expensive honestly, might just have to get a boot liner
>>
>>1137895
this
>>
>>1138051
New Brunswickan here. can confirm
>>
>>1137874
Use thermo cloathing (For skiing). Thats how I dealt with coldness all the years. I'm not homeless anymore but it gets down to -20° where I live. Also I wear a hoodie.
>>
>>1138264
I constantly wear a hoodie, literally only in the summer I stop wearing hoodies
>>
when you buy a winter hat, make sure that it does not sit flush to the top of your head. You need to have a small pocket of air up on top - this is what will keep you warm. If the hat is too tight on your head.. the heat just disappears - thus you get cold.
First layer of clothes however should be skin tight - long underware, long sleeve tops. tuck shirt into underware.. block any wind from hitting exposed skin.
>>
If you are still a big baby when it comes to cold - an old trick was to swap vaseline all over your feet before putting them in your socks.. then over your sock a clear plastic bag -- and then your boots. Its oldschool.. but still works.
>>
i dont notice the cold when im asleep. its when im awake that the cold becomes miserable
>>
>>1138301
....what
>>
>>1137874
Wear layers
Move around a lot
Build fires everything else in this thread is a dumb gimmick

t. Minnesnowtan who now lives in the rockies
>>
>>1138317
My place is colder than your place and I'm telling you much of this isn't a dumb gimmick.
>>
>>1137874
Eat a fuckton of butter. On a cold morning I'll eat 4 pieces of multigrain toast with as much butter as I can fit on them and that keeps me warm for a few hours working outside. That idea that butter clogs your arteries has to be bullshit because I'd long be dead. I probably eat a pound and a half a week December through March
>>
>>1138355
Id rather not be a tub of lard thank you, though a whole fuckton of protein plus some /fit/ shit could help
>>
>>1137874
>1.burn your vests, tshirts, jumpers and coats.
>2. watch every match at St James Park ever.
>3?????
>4.PROFITT
>>
Move to the tropics.
>>
>>1138414
Cultures which develop in cold climates invariably eat high fat diets. Try reading some advice that's actually applicable to your situation. The foods you need to look good in a gym mirror aren't the foods you need to be comfortable in harsh conditions.
You should also think about getting enough sunlight. Read about seasonal affective disorder, consider some Vitamin D supplements and maybe even get one of those "HappyLight" UV boxes people use up in Alaska.
Wait, it's fucking Maryland? Man, just find a good hot toddy recipe and some nice wool socks and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1138433
Im a fuckin Skeleton I cant gain weight if I tried, im forced to get fit for some padding
>>
>>1138051
>never knowing what it’s like to have your hair frozen solid
That’s not that impressive. Shit it even happens down here in Texas
>>
>>1138535
Because you dont wash yr mullets enough
>>
>>1138414
butterlord here who made the butter post, I'm not obese or even overweight, but can't see my abs. 185@6ft tall and moderately muscled as in I don't go to the gym but work outside for about 5 hours a day which easily burns the calories.
>>
>>1138414
ITT: OP wondering why he can't get warm
>OP eats a protein only diet
>>
>>1138313
stay frosty faggot,if you cant understand. IT WORKS.
>>
>>1137895
>tfw I’ve done this more than once
Swimming under ice is cool and all, but I’m still a pussy when it comes to cold. I don’t think I could ever handle actually living in a climate like that.
>>
>>1137874
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyc81tIooZg

Learn how make a fire.
>>
>>1137874
Your body gets automatically used to it. Don't worry about it. When I go outside in -31 fahrenheit, sure it's going to be a little snippy at first, but your body starts to focus on keeping your vital organs safe so it draws heat away from outer regions of your body. Thus you get more "adjusted" to the cold. Tbqh, just have a good layer of clothing and you won't feel a thing.
t. Finn
>>
File: download (2).gif (3.43 MB, 266x150)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB GIF
>>1137874
>>
>>1137874
>always stay busy
>always be fed
>always have GOOD layers
>go to bed early (cozy time)

These will keep the winter camper happy.
>>
>>1139834
I would add, if you are healthy and exercise regularly then it will help your circulation and general comfort in the cold.

Also, I think using a sauna helps. Something about the transition from hot to cold is relaxing and keeps me feeling comfy the rest of my day.
>>
>>1138620
>not obese or even overweight

6'0". 185lbs. BMI over 25. In the overweight category. Doesn't go to the gym. "Moderately" muscular.

Ok then m8 whatever you say.
>>
File: 1510871379111.png (35 KB, 408x450)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>1137880
>Temperature sensitivity is learned behavior
>>
File: wim-hof.jpg (106 KB, 604x300)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>cold exposure
>breathwork (pranayama)
>endurance training

pic related stayed in a ice bath for nearly 2 hours, climbed the peak kilimanjaro and mount everest to 6700m in shorts and ran a marathon in -20C, all in just shorts and shoes

The breath work is cycles of hyperventilation and holding breath, flooding your blood with oxygen and tuning up your metabolism, producing heat from within
>>
>>1139880
Taking a sauna on the regular is one of the greatest things that ever happened to me
>>
>>1140275
where are all these retarded wojacks coming from? point me to the meme kernel
>>
>>1140013
>BMI (body mass index), which is based on the height and weight of a person, is an inaccurate measure of body fat content and does not take into account muscle mass, bone density, overall body composition, and racial and sex differences, say researchers from the Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania.
>>
I literally sat in a hole for 4 hours freezing to death and I was never cold again
>>
>>1137874
your body needs to get used to the rigors of circulatory adjustment.

the better cardio you have, the warmer you will be.
the pain you experience from the cold needs to be felt, eventually your body will just numb itself out, however you have to avoid frostbite.
always go to sleep shortly after a large fatty/carby meal to stay warm through the night.
the secret to cold is staying warm when youre not moving around, adapt your gear around that scenario and have a quick changing layer to moving temperature.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.