[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 51 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: 41VC+CAzdTL._SY400_.jpg (18 KB, 310x310)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Does /out/ fuck with radio equipment?

I want to get into some of this stuff and am thinking about getting pic related for emergencies and listening to amateur radio. What kinda stuff do you guys use/recommend for /out/ings?
>>
File: i-BsBH4fq-L.jpg (97 KB, 799x450)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
Yeah ... a little bit.
ARRL for getting amateur license. AA9pw.com for practice exams.
>>
File: uv-5r(4)LG.jpg (81 KB, 500x500)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>1139264
I have been looking at this one.
It's the Baofeng uv-5r a portable cheap ham radio.
It's recommended by lots of sites and shit.
>>
>>1139264
I bought a shortwave so I could listen to ReviewBrah's radio show.

https://swling.com/blog/2017/01/vorw-radio-international-now-broadcasting-weekly-over-shortwave/
>>
File: IMG_20170126_221716.jpg (88 KB, 720x1280)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1139282
As babbys frist ham adio, they'll do the job. Cheap, but you get what you pay for.
For talking with friends on frs/gmrs, get an frs/gmrs radio. Easier to use and way better rf performance.
For receiving/scanning, buy a scanner. Baofengs scan real slow.
>>
>>1139264
30 year + licensed ham here
CW loving anon since 15
>>
>>1139293
Out of curiosity, what do you actually do with your license?
>>
>>1139298
I have been in and out of the hobby for many years, but have always kept my license valid.
I primarily do CW operating on HF. It's what I have always enjoyed the most.
I have a small setup at home - just wire antennas on account of restricted space.
>>
>>1139284
couldn't you listen to this on websdr.org?
>>
>>1139300
not exactly sure what CW operating is, total noob here. Is this a service you provide?
>>
>>1139324
No, morse code. I prefer this to using a microphone. I have only done a few field trips in my time however, primarily setting up a station in the bush for scouts out camping etc.
>>
>>1139316
Or this: http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
>>
>>1139331
yeah, not as aesthetic as using a physical radio but still cool

>>1139324
you should check this websdr out >>1139331 and start fucking around with it
>>
>>1139330
so you just broadcast morse code for scouts to pick up? seems pretty neat.

>>1139335
>>1139331
cool link, used this before. Just really usin it to listen. Seems incredibly powerful but no clue what im doing.
>>
>>1139316
Not in tha woods champ
>>
>>1139348
tru. forgot what board i'm on for a minute
>>
>>1139347
Talk to other ham operators. Locally and across the globe.
Yep, its pretty neat.
>>
File: russian sausage.jpg (61 KB, 456x516)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1139264
I have this Radio with an external wind up antenna. Has been great, we just got back from traveling around Australia for 12 months in my old Land rover and I had this out most nights. We were mainly pretty remote so this was great to listen to BBC, ABC and Chinese english channel. I also had had a Barrett 950 HF that got us out of the shit more than once.
>>
File: barrett.jpg (11 KB, 194x259)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1139379
Just realised Barrett is Ausfag so=
The Barret 950 tranciever is a sophisticated yet easy to operate, 450 channel HF SSB tranciever with a frequency range of 1.6 to 30 MHz. Designed to operate in the most arduous environments, as encountered in off road vehicles, vessels and aircraft, the Barret 950 will provide many years of efficient and trouble free service. The Barret 950 supports features such as selective calling (selcall), direct dial telephone connection to base stations fitted with telephone interconnect systems (telcall), GPS location, ALE (automatic link establishment, data transmision and remote diagnostics. Operating from 12 volt (13.8vdc) dc supplies, the transmitter is rated at 125 watt PEP in voice mode and is protected from over voltage or reverse voltage application.
>>
>"fuck with"
>not "are you interested in"

Don't talk like that, anon.
>>
>>1139379
>>1139383
Just starting to have issue with auto tune so am going to have to learn more and go for my licence (In Aus we dont need licence for CB = UHF and AM. We do need one to operate a HF but can join HF networks that you can just operate under their licence. We just use it for remote 4X4 touring so joined VKS-737 which are set up for this and have road reports and SKEDs)
>>
>>1139388
VKS are great for that, we ere broken down 500km from a town in the Northern territory and they organised a tow through RACQ (roadside assist) which were not going to pay but with VKS going in to bat for us RACQ paid up for the $5000 bill. We had to wait 36 hrs for them to turn up though
>>
>>1139385
>>1139385
>>1139264
Yes I love to fuck with radio equipment
>>
>>1139284
Nice, I bought a Tecsun PL-660 to listen too. I usually tune in on 7490, sometimes 9395 or 11580 kHz.
>>
>>1139324
CW is Continuous Wave. Its ham speak fr using morse code, normally with really low power.

CW is one of the earliest forms of radio

basically you have a constant powered wave that you can cut off temporarily.

By controlling the time in between the powered signal and cuts in the signal, you can create the dots and dashes of morse code.

that is a very very layman description of how CW works.
>>
>>1139392
ah I fuck wit that lit plain
>>
>>1139390
>$5000 towing bill

jesus christ, is that in didgeridollars or real money?
>>
File: 1510028743164.jpg (170 KB, 750x738)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>1139559
no fucking way I would pay that, it was covered by insurance but yet $5000 AUD which is about $3800 Burger and 2900 Bong. They wont even leave the depot without billing you credit card out there in the desert. As it can take them a day or 2 to make it out to you and if you fix it in the mean time your not going to hang around or drop the $ at the depot when you pass through and they are out in the desert looking for you. The bloke that picked us up owned a brothel on the Philippines
>>
>>1139293
>>1139300
I read in another thread that some people are wanting to use the wideband recording ability of SDRs to make spectrum archives that could then be shared online. I'm wondering what someone actually into amateur radio thinks about the possibility of there being archives of everything you say on the air that people could look back through.
>>
Could one of those handheld ham radios help if you're lost in the middle of nowhere?
>>
>>1140452
If you know what you are doing, yes. If not it is dead weight. The real important basics are covered in tech exam or you can just lurk around /k/ and here for threads and learn. You do not need a license for emergencies, FYI. Personally it is comforting to just listen to people ragchew when I am out really remote. A few good repeaters out here with some hams that are super entertaining.
>>
pretty old /k/ guide not sure if its still useful.
>>
File: codan.jpg (114 KB, 500x375)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>1139383
>Barrett is Ausfag

As is codan.
>>
>>1139806
You mean like the feds already do with gigantic amounts of tape drives?
>>
File: 1509984003676.png (165 KB, 200x231)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>>1140975
>>
bump
>>
>>1139264
I was thinking about getting a cheap sw radio but since demand is so low all the stores upped the price to 500 USD a pop.
>>
>>1141533
>demand is low
>price goes up

are you sure this is how it works?
>>
>>1141555
It shouldn't but that's what happened. They used to be like 100 USD.
>>
>>1141562
What radio are you looking at? There's some good radios out there under $50.
>Tecsun PL-380
>Tivdio V-115

You'll still be able to pick stuff up on those radios.
>>
>>1139282

My baomeme is on the way from China. Looking forward to it although would probably just use it to scan or in emergencies.
>>
>>1141591
Sangean ATS-909X
>>
File: DXMapLarge.jpg (67 KB, 1024x645)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>1139264
daddy was seriously into HAM. had a 150 square foot room for a battle station and more in the basement. multiple dx maps on the walls
got 2 radios and a very large amount of radio gear. like an excessive amount of radio stuff
the 2 giant towers are gone
have a portable radio and 4 foot antenna
have a high quality handheld radio bigger than ops pic.

we are talking about an almost unreasonable amount of radio gear. I still remember dads call sign
>>
and I forgot to mention the cb radio stuff

there is basically 2 full military grade radio set ups with extras

daddy died. I think 2006?
>>
>>1141725
You dont remember what year your dad died? I remember.

My dad convinced everyone I was gay. He just made up his mind and that was how the world was.
>>
what's this about needin a liscense? how will they find me if i don't have one?
>>
>>1141744
there is all the amateur radio operator junk

it will be obvious to the other guys
>>
>>1141744
Triangulation of your broadcasts.
>>
I can find records of my dads callsign
Heavy Metal Amateur Radio Rally
dx spottings

stuff from like 14 years ago
>>
>>1141744

Ham radio is the ultimate boomer hobby. These assholes have turned finding illegal broadcasting into a sport.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmitter_hunting
>>
File: 9622294_orig.jpg (344 KB, 1066x800)
344 KB
344 KB JPG
can my HAM pick up frequency from dead people?
>>
>>1142558
Have you been watching "Contact" or are you just stupid?
>>
>>1141913
I do a lot of SW listening each day, in the U.S, if you broadcast for a short period of time (1-2 hours a week) between 6900 kHz - 7000 kHz, you should be fine.

I've heard some pirate stations for years and they haven't been busted yet. As soon as you interfere with ham operators, licensed broadcasters or military/aviation frequencies the FCC will come knocking.
>>
>>1142639
you got it!
I watched most of it years ago. don't remember it. should watch it again

I thought of it after writing about how I still have all my Dads radio stuff
>>1141721
>>1141725
>>1141752
>>1142558
>>
My dad and my uncle had multiple pirate radio stations
Fuck the FCC

both died when I was too young
but you cant do anything about it
>>
>>1139554
dah dit dah dit / dah dah dit dah

Love my CW. It's use though is gradually declining
>>
File: HAMRADYOYOYO.jpg (95 KB, 807x602)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
So I just bought a Yaesu FTM-400DXR to put in my jeep. How bad did I fuck up?
>>
>>1144037
That depends on your Jeeps ability to be secured?
>>
File: i-8fNTBgR-L.jpg (69 KB, 799x450)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1144037
Nice. The C4FM stuff looks interesting, but not interesting enough to spend money on it (to me).
DMR has some ham adoption, but the fact that a lot of users either can't (like the chinese stuff) or don't (laziness/unwilling to learn) take the time to adjust audio levels makes the mode difficult.

New mobile going in my pickup too.
>>
strategic bump
>>
Anyone have any experience with C.Crane shortwave radios? Right now I use a portable Tecsun but am thinking about trying out one of theirs.
>>
File: 20171127_172222.jpg (4.65 MB, 4032x3024)
4.65 MB
4.65 MB JPG
>>1145079
It's like any Jeep with a soft top, not at all.

These also just showed up.
>>
>>1139264
I have the radio in your pic there. I don't really know how to utilize all of its features. Got it at an estate sale for $5 because I thought it might be neat. Any tips on how to find stations that aren't just regular fm channels?
>>
>>1142558
When I was a platoon sig I was told that HF broadcasts can bounce around the world for years, so you might in rare circumstances where you're on the right frequency at the right time hear the voice of some long dead soldier. It would have to be unencrypted and you would have to be listening without encryption also.

One night I got a random burst of asian language and wondered if it was bouncing around since the vietnam war
>>
File: ok.jpg (120 KB, 999x564)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
i got a little l cheapo car ham with a ac adapter in the house. I just use it to listen to public radio so far. Thinking about getting an antenna for the roof.
>>
saving this thread
>>
I've been using an sdrplay rsp1 on my desktop for 8 months now, been living it so far. Anyone know of a handheld sdr with that kind of frequency range? (10khz-2ghz) or better. Preferably something that will do p25 as well. I've been looking at getting a rackrf with a portapack, but it's not very weather resistant.
>>
>>1152547
How frequently do they catch pirate stations? I'm considering buying a small fm transmitter and streaming stuff over an unregistered channel in my small college town late at night. What are the chances I get caught and how much of a fine would I have to pay?
>>
>>1153494
what do you spin ?
>>
>>1153494
chances are no one will care or the FCC just tells you to stop
there are ways to improve your odds. maybe you should try to google search it

but if you put out a signal amateur radio operators can find you
they even practice by locating a transmitter
>>
>>1147251
Look for an app/website called repeater book.
Program the local ones in answer scan around.
Press and release the talk button, if you get an aromatherapy greeting or static back it means you've successfully made contact.
Look up a yt video on how to use Chirp for ham radio uv 5r
>>
>>1153494
I would recommend doing a pirate station on shortwave if you don't want to get caught, there's more listeners out there than you think.
>>
Literally picking up the radio in OPs pic tomorrow. Am a dirty commie who wants to listen to Radio Havana while /out/ing. Definitely dig the idea of eventually starting a shortwave pirate radio station. Best part about radio is it will be around even if the internet goes out.
>>
>>1141679

I have the RadioShack version of this radio, the DX-398. I've had it for many years and my only complaint is the tuning knob makes a "chuffing" noise. It's something that can be modified if you're handy with a soldering iron but it gets old fast and makes tuning by ear difficult.
>>
>>1153494

yo

>>1154829

this anon knows whats up. i operated a pirate station on broadcast fm for quite a while and got caught because i was stomping on other stations that paid for their frequency allocation.

i got a cease and desist letter that seemed serious enough that i knocked it the hell off. it was mailed to my transmitter address and nobody had ever approached me.

finding radio transmitters is a definite sport these days and a lot of dudes get raging hardons tracking this stuff down. i broadcasted only on the weekends at the time for about an hour each time.

keep your power low, don't clobber transmissions either on your desired freq or in adjacent freqs (splatter is a thing), and make sure your equipment functions well.

shortwave will get you the greatest distance for power but you won't get as many local listeners as the receiving equipment is not as pervasive. broadcast am is maybe a safer option than fm, but again, don't stomp on other stations.

good luck.
>>
>>1153494

also, hide your antenna very well. this is likely how i was found after my signal was located. my antenna was pretty visible and it was obvious that it wasn't a tv antenna or something.
>>
>>1141679
>>1155512

Oh, nevermind. I just noticed the X in your model number. I have the older version and it's a very capable radio. Maybe the new one doesn't make the chuffing noise?
>>
>>1147379
>HF broadcasts can bounce around the world for years
No
>>
>>1153653
>if you get an aromatherapy greeting or static back it means you've successfully made contact
No, it means you kerchunked a repeater; Way to go, lid.
>>
File: 1477728736362.png (44 KB, 739x568)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>1139264
>>1139282
Are there any radios that can also be a radio ?

(both talkie-walkie and AM/FM radio receiver)
>>
File: 1474184832016.png (58 KB, 575x544)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>1142558
Bonjour P.
>>
>>1155805
am/fm not typically if it's a handheld. there are some all band units but they're usually large. many popular handhelds made for vhf/uhf will also pick up broadcast fm or weather, especially since many are just sdr these days anyway. most hf rigs will be more specialized and focused on specific bands and were not likely to pick up broadcast am, nor are they likely to be handheld.
>>
I have two friends in to amateur radio.

This is THE MOST autistic hobby, but it is sort of cool. You can pick up broadcasts from long standing propaganda stations run by the US, some of which translates digitally to an image. Or listen to numbers stations, or even build an antenna to pick up the ISS.
>>
>>1155805
Baomeme receives am/fm
>>
>>1156557

Amplitude Modulation the mode, yes, but it won't receive US broadcast AM bands from 540 to 1600 kHz. I believe it will pick up US FM broadcast bands.
>>
>>1157037
Can it receive HF broadcast bands?
>>
>>1139264
Complete neophyte here, i've stumbled upon a few videos of number stations recordings and i'm kinda interested. There is a strange yet charming feeling to it.
But could I listen to regular FM emissions and just switch to an amateur mode when i want with a simple model? Keep in mind i don't know shit about radios, so sorry if it sound dumb.
>>
>>1158244

136-174/400-520 MHz

No.

https://baofengradio.us/baofeng-uv5rv2-black.html
>>
>>1158495

I don't understand your question at all. Most number stations will be heard on "shortwave" radio which is usually around 1.6–30 MHz, above the AM broadcast range (US 530 to 1700 kHz in 10 kHz steps). They're pretty difficult to find, though. I've been listening for decades and have only heard a couple of them.

A "ham" radio could be one of a very wide range of radios for various purposes as amateur radio spans a large range of bands and frequencies.

If you want to listen to amateur radio, try to find number stations on shortwave, and listen to broadcast FM (US 87.9–107.9 MHz), find yourself a shortwave radio that includes sideband (upper and lower) as well as FM capabilities. Most of them you come across will be capable of that.

websdr.org has already been mentioned and for ham stuff, look up the amateur radio band plan (applies mostly to the US).
>>
My dad has over 10k in ham radio equipment in the basement and a 70 ft tower in the yard. He doesn't use it any more since he contacted someone on every possible country and island. My opinion is that the whole thing is a waste of time since they never said anything of substance like we do here on the 4chan.
>>
>>1158507
I also got a little off topic, that was probably better suited to /g/. To keep things /out/, many shortwave receivers are marketed as travel options and can be carried innawoods. I've done quite a bit of swl while hiking.
>>
>>1158508
hobbies are designed to waste time desu
>>
>>1158507
Thanks, i'll look into it.
I live in western europe so things might be different. I'll start looking for tutorials for my zone. The amateur hobby might not be as big as it is in the US but there should still be something, hopefully.
>>
>>1158519
All sorts of radio is very active in Europe, especially amateur radio.

Just listening is super inexpensive, especially for HF. You can often get by with literally a long piece of random wire for an antenna and the receivers are reasonably priced. Look at swling.com for info on getting started with shortwave listening. primetimeshortwave.com has broadcast schedules. If you want to tune around for free and listen to all kinds of stuff from your mom's basement, check out websdr.org

When it come to transmitting and getting an amateur radio license, there is a massive array of things to do and ways to communicate. Voice communication isn't the only option. There's all sorts of data modes as well. Signals can be bounced around the ionosphere, off satellites, off the moon, off meteors and aircraft, or just repeated through other radios or the Internet. You can send voice and data, hunt transmitters, and even control aircraft.

If you do decide you want to get licensed, find a local club first and hang out with them for a bit. That way you can figure out what aspects of the hobby you want to pursue.

Often while /out/, I'll work satellites, maybe do morse code over HF with low power, listen to nearby repeaters with my handheld, or try to play with data on a tablet and a tiny portable radio. SOTA and IOTA are good /out/ related amateur radio activities, too.

I generally prefer not to take my radios innawoods but sometimes it can be a nice diversion.
>>
File: radio1.jpg (44 KB, 640x480)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
this one is pretty good, but it won't help you get rescued from an uncharted desert isle
>>
File: 1508138166834.jpg (7 KB, 231x218)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>1158508
>they never said anything of substance like we do here on the 4chan.
>>
VX6r
>>
File: radio.jpg (99 KB, 640x554)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>
kinda haven't messed with it in a while.
I need a list of ham channels worth listening to.
>>
>>1159649
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band%20Chart/Band%20Chart%20-%2011X17%20Color.pdf

hit up 80m phone for the nightly shitshow of large drunk trumpers with expensive equipment talking at each other. it's a bit like 4chan, actually.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.