[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

#200-“2nd Annual Secret Santa" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1137675

It’s getting about that time... Fry that turkey, get drunk with your uncle who molested you as a child, and wait for those Bass Pro gift cards! If anybody wants to celebrate the holidays with fellow fish-minded anons, get in on the 2nd Annual F&T Secret Santa!
>Send email to GetSomeMemes at Gmail dot com
>Include your shipping info and what type of fishing you typically do
>Closer to Xmas, I will draw names to match Santas up with their Anon
>Everybody will get an email with the shipping info for the person they will shop for along with the type of fishing that person enjoys
>Go on your favorite website, spend around $25, send your anon a few pieces of tackle you think they will like, and wait for your gift!
It worked out well last Xmas and Easter. A few people have added homemade lures or gifted stuff they already had and that’s fine as long as it’s fair for everybody, but ordering directly from one of the big online retailers seems to be the easiest. Don’t use a burner email because I need to keep in touch with people to send them the person they shop for, exchange shipping info, etc. For the paranoid anons, the only people who will see your info are me (I have yet to rape anybody from 4chan yet) and the person that shops for you, so either relax and have fun or quit bitching and don’t join in.

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
File: lmbvSmb.jpg (719 KB, 2518x1024)
719 KB
719 KB JPG
I wish smallies were still biting like they used to in the summer. I havent caught one let alone see one in the rivers in a while. Have to focus on pickerel, crappie, and the stockie trout
>>
>>1143392
Fly rod
>>1143404
I don’t think I would catch anything even if it was a “good fishing” day. Mostly just practicing and working out the kinks seeing as this is my first time I’ve been up here since salmon season
>>
>>1143404
Eh this kind of depends. For example I really like fishing post-storm in the summer. It's easy as hell to predict where the bass will be. They may bite a little slower, but you can still get them to bite fairly easy. Where as when its overcast the bass tend to scatter all over the place, so you have to find where they are first. And where you caught that one bass there may only be one, where as after a front a good piece of cover can hold multiple fishes.
>>
>>1143422
Word. I'm not sure what Salmon typically hit but sometimes All-Around streamers work. This pattern has worked for me for big bluegill/bass/crappie etc etc

https://www.flytyer.com/the-white-demon/
>>
>>1143432
At first I started with a normal egg imitation like I used for salmon. Then I switched over to this streamer. I tried to return my ten weight rod but the guy wasn’t there so I had to use my eight weight which wasn’t too bad but I still did it catch shit. Not like I didn’t expect it but oh well
>>
>>1143437
I always go more realistic with my flies when nothing else works. Tho sometimes the weather is just a bitch and you get skunked
>>
>>1143439
I think I’m just trash In general. My drifts were subpar at best.

Think I might try and switching to spinning gear next time to build some confidence and get an idea where they are willing to eat and what kind of water they are in when that happens.

I saw one steelhead when I was walking back. It was very green with a
>>
File: 20171025_132408-2241x3984.jpg (1.31 MB, 2241x3984)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
Who has a Fenwick HMG? Bought the new gen for $80 and will probably try it out Friday or Saturday
>>
>>1143456
Whoops. Meant to say it was very green with a super bright pink on its head and along its side. Looked exactly like pic related
>>
>>1143456
>>1143458
Ironically I do the opposite when I'm having a bad day lol.
>fuck flyfishing not workin
>switch to size 18 beetle and catch small baitfish
>sling baitfish out with traditional rod
River flyfishing can require some finesse - desu when I was a teen I just watched tons of trout/salmon fishing videos to learn casting techniques etc. This was before youtube.....just str8 VHS tapes but I'm sure there are good YT channels. Always another day tho
>>
>>1143461
I dont even think i could catch a bait fish if I tried on that river. At least not that far up. Current is way too high to really do anything subtle.
>>
>>1143456
>>1143437

you should be swinging that fly
>>
>>1143524
I was
>>
Looking for a good spin combo around the $250 mark, preferably a light but strong 7ft 2 piece rod. Any suggestions?
>>
How was your fishingday lads? Caught a few speckled trouts and even more little jacks. Hopeing to get some larger ones next time. No pic because why take pics of little fish.
>>
Well the blank that I didn't order came in today and it doesn't look like a light rod. It's the same butt diameter as the ML I got and bigger than the broken light. I guess imma call em tomorrow about the light rod and see what's what.
>>
>>1143596
Why two pcs? 7' is short. Also what lures/techniques do you need it for?

>>1143456
I wish I was closer to good steelhead water. Closest spots are two states away and packed with plunkers.
I kind of hate holidays, because I know I won't be doing any fishing during family time.
>>
>>1143734
I really really appreciate how you put the water stamp of your "face".
>>
File: newcombo1.jpg (95 KB, 497x899)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>1143734
I got a one piece instead, 7ft Abu Veritas Graphite rod and a Pfleuger Echelon spin reel. Wanted something very light and touchy to flick small lures around for Golden Perch and Redfin but with enough strength to handle a metre plus Murray Cod if need be.
>>
>>1143780
Why is your reel so underspooled?
>>
File: 1497230742437.png (148 KB, 222x293)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>1143783
Because I didn't look at how many metres the spool of spider wire sitting in the bargain bin had. 100m is fine for bank fishing for now. One I find my Fins braid spool that's going on it instead.
>>
>>1143786
Ah okay. Good rod choice btw.
>>
>>1143421
>Smallmouth are the best fighting game fish

True. Pound for pound best fight hands down

>Largemouth worst fight

Disagree. They fight pretty good. Way better than walleye do.
>>
>>1143780
> that absolute mismatching reel and rod color
Shit nigga what are you doing
>>
>>1143788
Cheers, the owner of the store who's big into fishing himself says the next gen (gen 3) are getting bad reviews due to the crappy build quality, guess if any of you are thinking of getting one get a 2 before they are all sold out.

>>1143794
>caring about that sort of shit
>>
File: PicsArt_10-08-03.47.54.jpg (111 KB, 665x580)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>1143780
God damn those based Aussie fish. I want to catch a Barrimundi or Toga so badly but I'm an Amerifat.
My buddy tells me that the second run of Red fish in the chesepeak never happened. I only caught this one puppy and will prob have to wait a year till the next run.
>>1143793
Really floored by how fucking gnarly Wolf fish and Golden Dorado fight on YT videos. Snook seem badass aswell.
>>
>>1143793
Bluefish are heavyweights as far as fight goes, real monsters in my experience.
>>
File: prettyflyforapinkguy.jpg (2.35 MB, 7499x2012)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
Pic: First pike fly I've tied in approximately 15 years. Turned out better than I expected desu.
Tied on a weighted hook in the hopes of being able to cast it on my UL rod. Might need to trim it down a bit as it weighs ~15grams when wet. Gonna try it next time I head down to the pond.
And I need to get my hands on some rabbit zonker strips. Was planning to tie it using rabbit strips but alas, not enough rabbit to be found in my fathers fly-tying box.
Hate and rate welcome.
>>
File: Cod blowering 550.jpg (43 KB, 550x397)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1143943
That sort of looks like a Barra, neat. One of my dream goals is to get a fabled 1m+ Cod, sadly they all died out where I live and I have to go travelling a few hours into other states to have any chance of getting one. Biggest one I've got so far was only 42cm lel.
>>
>>1143943
Also one of these days I'm keen to go to the NT or QLD and go Barra fishing, guy I work from is from QLD and says it's some of the best fishing he's done. Sucks that you have to look out for crocs up there though.
>>
File: 20171122_135320-3984x2241.jpg (1.46 MB, 3984x2241)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
Literally just got my HMG from amazon and it came with two rods somehow. Pretty stoked.
>>
> bass pro finally have good sale
> it’s in store only
> no store near me
Well guess you don’t need my money then bps. It’s not like I gonna buy that pflueger president or anything.
>>
>>1143780
Those Veritas feel like toys to me desu
>>
>>1144197
How so?
>>
File: sidechannel.jpg (94 KB, 473x354)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Hey guys, I live in the great lakes region, I want to get into ice fishing. I'm a medifag in training so I don't really have the money to spend on an ice rod and reel, I do have a bunch of odds and ends from other fishing rods and a couple extra reels. I was thinking of taking the first 2 feet of a rod and somehow attaching it to the stub end of another and putting a regular reel on. What do y'all think.

Also steelhead this year anyone? They've been evading me on the fly, so I'm trying again with egg sacs
>>
File: IMG_20171020_081119.jpg (1.57 MB, 1944x2592)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
Officially in Jersey and fishing on Friday.
Also didn't need a license, just had to register as a saltwater angler so that's cool.
>>1144066
I'd fish it
>>1144304
I got one this year swinging a white wooly bugger with beadchain eyes
>Pic related
>>
File: 20171122_172145.jpg (4.3 MB, 4032x3024)
4.3 MB
4.3 MB JPG
Bought all this for $40 , howd I do?
4 1.5 strike king kvd crankbaits
2 football head jigs
1 buzz bait
Trailer hooks
Popping frog black
Havoc black/blue craws
>>
>>1144304
Just fucking handline if its legal.
>>
File: carppropaganda.png (496 KB, 1122x871)
496 KB
496 KB PNG
>>1143415
tfw don't know where to target carp
>regular spot blanked last week
>conditions will probably be the same.
>Air temps in the low 50's high 40's for highs, upper 30's for lows.
>Water Temps around 50 deg

idk if I should fish a bay, or fish the main lake atm.

Im thinking a bay just to change things up. Finally got my sportbrella, so fishing in the rain wont be such a bitch.
>>
i found a pond near me which has rumored 40 pound carp... how do i catch them
>>
>>1144333
Throw a few handfuls of corn kernels into the water, put some kernels on your hook, cast hook out to where you threw the kernels, wait.
>>
>>1144333
Bow and arrow
>>
File: chumming.jpg (22 KB, 500x407)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>1144333
Prechumming/chumming is a big component of carp fishing.

It depends on how much you want to try hard pulling the largest fish in the pond.

If you want to casually go about it, prechum the spot Monday-Wed-Friday with a can or two of sweetcorn each time (this will cost like 6 bucks for the week), then fish on Saturday and Sunday with Sweetcorn and worms in the same spot.

Use a hair rig and bolt rig. If you don't have a bait runner real, set your drag super light, and make sure you have a sturdy rod holder, or else your rod is going to go flying into the water.

If you want more specifics let me know. What area is this?
>>
>>1144304
I also live in the Great Lakes region but I wouldn’t shorten a rod because they are designed to work at that length the tension of the shortened piece will be too sturdy and hook setting will be very aggressive and will most likely jerk the bait out of their mouth

My plan is to get a Disney princess rod or something and just use that since they are relatively short and simple to use for ice fishing
>>
R8 my ultralight tackle

Reel I use is zebco omega 144, I prefer spin cast for ultralight as I can’t be bothered to constantly operate a spinning reel during ultralight fishing

I try to keep soft plastics hard bodied lures and some hook and bobber with live bait when the goin gets tough
>>
>>1144356
Pic didn’t attach
>>
>>1144357
Bitch lasagna
>>
>>1144375
Okay
>>
>>1144357
>Closed bail zebko

Oh boy, I've had at least three of those, they get fucked up easier, plus it's super awkward having the reel on the top. If you're bass or pan fishing I guess that's good.

6/10

My car fishing kit includes the smallest rooster spinners I can find, a couple tube baits, a couple small plastic worms, jigs, a spoon. Small rapala, topwaters, snells and lead, a little container that I put worms and grubs I find in. I have a Shakespeare UL combo I found under a bridge once.
>>
>>1144388
I love my zebco I only had the line come off one time in like 4 months

Also I don’t feel much of a difference with reel positions so it doesn’t bother me much

Personally I’ve never caught anything on tube jigs. I prefer a larger rooster tail because it’s less likely for the fish to take all three hooks. Not included but I do have a rebel crickhopper that works everywhere I take it. I probably should add a spoon to my kit now that I think about it
>>
File: carped2.png (690 KB, 808x455)
690 KB
690 KB PNG
>>1143415
How can other fish even compete?
>>
>>1144330
They're in deep water and lethargic as heck right now
>>1144357
Toddler/10
>>1144391
Probably by being worthwhile
>>
File: royalty.jpg (158 KB, 1273x720)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>1144453
Carp are the most Valuable Fish on the Planet. They were integral parts of the Roman, Chinese, and British Empires. They have colonized nearly every part of the globe, and have evolved to deal with extermination attempts from the governments of the World.

Carp are practically the Apex Species on the Planet.
>>
>>1144459
Okay they eat literal shit
>>
>>1144234
They feel plastic-y. Like the coating is junk. Plus I don't like the "foam" grips. It feels like a $30 rod, not $80 or however much it is
>>
File: proofs2.jpg (7 KB, 240x135)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>1144464
>>
>>1144453
It’s more safisticated then that
>>
>>1144465
The foregrip feels way small, other than that I haven't really used much expensive blanks to know better. Love how it pretty much feels like a bullwhip when casting though. I feel like I could at least cast 10 metres further than the Samaki blank I have for my baitcaster setup.
>>
>>1144356
>can’t be bothered to constantly operate a spinning reel during ultralight fishing
What did he mean by this

>>1144465
>It feels like a $30 rod, not $80 or however much it is

That's like, your opinion man. And EVA grips are dope whatchu mean nigga.
>>
>>1144661
It is my opinion. If you like it, that's awesome.

I don't mind foam grips. The foam on my Falcon and Fenwick rods feels so much better than the Veritas. Granted, I haven't actually fished with it, only held it in the store.
>>
>>1144349
Does the triangle work for saltwater?
>>
File: 14lb-2oz-barbel.jpg (3.01 MB, 3264x2448)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
Had a great day for Barbel and Chub on the river.

Conditions were perfect. River had risen up a couple of feet, unusually warm water temp for this time of year, overcast.

I had 5 barbel and 2 chub. Biggest barbel was just short of 10lb.

Caught on luncheon meat, boilie and lob worm. Using a swim feeder with hemp and pellet in as loose feed on one rod, and a pva bag of broken up boilies on the second rod.
>>
>>1144827
Is this Europe, ive never heard of these fish?
>>
Where are all my Secret Santa anons? You’re ruining my plan!

>tfw email 10 anons telling them they all got Pepsi
>get lots of gifts and don’t buy shit for anybody

Seriously, join the S.S. before it’s too late!
>>
>>1144829

Yes, I am from the UK. Barbel are my favourite species to fish for.

Really powerful and strong fighting. In the UK, pound for pound they are probably the strongest fighting freshwater fish.
>>
>>1144874
Is it legit? Im newish to this general and it feels like a way to give my adress and info away. Id like to do it but im hesitant to give out info to anonymous people on a micronesian spider identification form.
>>
File: image.jpg (339 KB, 750x1334)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
>>
>>1144661
during ultralight fishing i find myself casting and retrieving a lot more usually then when i'm using a regular setup. To me it is much easier to just click the button and cast instead of having the get the bail to the right position open and cast and close again
>>
>dinner is being made
>this means the house is a war zone of agitated females for the next three hours
>fuck it, I'm going fishing
>get to the river
>ugly muddy flood water
>freezing 35℉ water
>fuck it, better than home
>throw a chicken liver on a treble hook in a side pond with slightly clearer water
>nothing for an hour
>whatever didn't expect much
>dump chicken livers in water start reeling in
>suddenly pole is bent over and drag is screaming
>fuck yeah
>fish gets off as quick as he got on
>no more bait
>walk bank looking for free gear
>not one but two Mepps brand mepps memetastic spinners
>three crankbaits
>a pencil case full of spoons ranging from 1/2 inch to 5 inches in length
>various bobers, jig heads, hooks, weights, steel leaders and soft baits
>even found a yo-yo reel tied to the bridge
>a minnow bucket (the good old metal kind)
>never had a better haul in my life
>about to sit down and eat some turkey

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
>>
>>1144965
Sounds like some poor bastard flipped his yak or boat nearby recently. Happened to my bro in law years back, the bimini shade stopped around $200 of lures and other fishing gear sinking 10 metres to the bottom of the river
>>
Going fishing tomorrow. Hope I get something
>>1144893
It's trustworthy, we all did it last year.
>>
Essential features to look for in a baitcaster?
All around pole size to buy?

Dumb question can I put a baitcaster on a push button pole? It has that trigger piece on the pole already... save some bucks.

Im entry level, I been using spinner reels for too long, and want to try a baitcaster this year.

Freshwater Lake fishing, South East region. Bass, pickeral, gar, sunnies, walleye, catfish.
>>
>>1145037

Buy a New Curado K, never buy anything other than Shimano im telling you right now they will last you your entire life if you take care of them.
>>
>>1145037

Go with a Medium Heavy 7ft-7'3 Fast action rod for all around use.
>>
>>1144459
Are they good to eat?
>>
>>1144012
If we are going to saltwater, Jack Crevalles are great for a fight.
>>
>>1145048
If you have no tongue
>>1145051
Giant trevalley
>>
File: 20171124_100742.jpg (1.04 MB, 2560x1536)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
Pest or Friend?
>>
>>1145273
For me friend, they never try to eat the bait off my hook and keep me company.
>>
>>1145273
I love tall boys. They're always friends of mine.
It's the short birds that are dicks. Manlets never learn regardless of species.
>>
Well I got one bite but didn't land anything. Still had fun though
>>1145273
Friend; they're pretty quiet, keep to themselves, and have good posture.
>>
>>1145273
Anything is better than a Pelican.
>>
>>1145273
Friend, a well-behaved guy all around. The rowdier birds are also mvp in their own way though, they show where bait is all the time.
>>
File: 20171124_165201.jpg (1.19 MB, 1440x1010)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
Can anybody ID this species?
Found in a small inland river in the SE US
>>
>>1145446
Type of gourami, Asian aquarium fish

It’s like 3” right?
>>
File: cormorant.jpg (41 KB, 425x320)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1145273
Cormorants, the ones that dive into the water and swim, are the pest. They're more of them compared to herons.
>>
Jiggies
>>
>>1144893
We did it last Xmas and again around Easter. It was fun. Most of us are typical neckbeards who mean no harm. Just keep your pets away from Skid.

Anyway the only people who see your address are me and the anon shopping for you. I have like 150 anons’ info from sending free stickers on /o/ and I don’t have the time to do anything with it.

It’s only like $25 anyway.
>>
>>1145273

Friend, throw them all my small ones.
>>
>>1145457
Not him but tempted myself to do it and try out some of those NA lures we don't get in straya.
>>
>>1145368
I got my 3wt blank in today. Holy shit this thing is tiny lol. Gonna be fun. What reel should I get?
>>
>>1143415
What does the water temperature have to be for the bass to get lazy and suspend deep?

Chickamauga is about 58ish right now and I’m wonder if it’d be even worth it to attempt to fish.
>>
>>1145476
I’m not sure how shipping would work. So far YuroSaintsFan was the only one from outside the US to do it, and he ordered from a US website for his anon, and the anon who got him ordered from a Yuro website so there was no crazy postage.
>>
>>1145476
>>1145495
Herein lies the issue...

If you did it, I would ask you for a few AUS websites so anon could order you stuff from there.
>>
>>1145497
Welp I was thinking there were heaps of people around the world doing it.
>>
>>1145515
Yeah if somebody had access to a commercial account it would be easier, but I believe USPS required you to do “Priority Mail” for anything over 8oz. Like when I send out all of the Twingo plushies for /o/, I think with packaging it was <8oz so I got away with First Class Mail and it was only $3. For the Easter exchange, I bought in-store and it was a few bags of soft baits and stuff so I figured shipping it the same way would be maybe $5 since the Twingos were so cheap. But it was closer to 1lb and post office lady said it had to be Priority Mail and this tiny box shipped 4 states away was like $15.

I was looking at the postage rates and commercial accounts can still do First Class over 8oz so it would be maybe $10-$15 shipping to AUS for some lures instead of $35+ and would probably only take a couple more days.

Unless there is a US website that is willing to ship Int’l without raping the buyer...
>>
>>1145521
What an absolute pain in the ass. Also never knew you were the twingo plushie guy.
>>
>>1145534
I didn’t make them. Some dude in Yurop did. But the first batch it looked like it would be cheaper sending a big box to the US and then having somebody there send out individual ones so it wasn’t $$$ sending each one from Yurop.

But then the second round the dude just sent them direct because it was only a few bucks more in the end and less of a headache.

Also I tried to go fishin. Didn’t expect shit but was nice to get on the water.
>>
File: auspost.jpg (102 KB, 1369x739)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>1145497
Shipping international isn't so bad. I do it regularly. Just have to find the proper post service.
>>
File: Tacklebox1.jpg (154 KB, 1060x870)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>1145539
Eh, maybe I'll get my head around it next year.

Finally got time today to empty and clean out the old busted Plano tacklebox and put all of it into my new one. Wish they had some sort of strap system for it because I've only filled it to about 75% capacity and it's heavy as fuck already.
Lures and spinnerbaits on top
2 spools of line, knife, filleting knife, descaler, multitool, 2 small stowaway boxes of lures, lip grips and trigger hook retriever in the large section underneath.
First big tray packed to the brim with hooks of all sizes and makes
Second tray half sinkers, the rest floats, swivels, float stoppers, running sinker snaps, snap lights, bells etc
Other 2 trays are mostly empty save for some small spoon lures, might swap them out to put some of my 150mm+ freshwater lures into 1 taller tray
Side compartment has a rain poncho, spare spin spool with 8lb line, another tray with small lures, a little waterproof pocket book of knots and a bag or soft plastics with a bottle of scent. Fuck this thing has insane amounts of room, could almost tuck a basic first aid kit in there as well.
>>
>>1145574
>Wish they had some sort of strap system for it
Find a cheap duffle bag at a thrift store that is just a little bigger than it.
>>
File: maowmaowmaow.png (560 KB, 1920x1080)
560 KB
560 KB PNG
>>1143415
Carp are a superior fish.
>>
>>1145583
I have like 5 spare duffle bags from working at various wineries, good idea, cheers.
>>
File: crap1.jpg (418 KB, 1535x760)
418 KB
418 KB JPG
>>1145584
Carp deserve death.
>>
File: Carp = Crap.jpg (226 KB, 986x739)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>tfw showing people how to put Crap out of their misery by tapping a knife into their brain or just stomping onto their head with a boot
>they are disgusted yet have no problem simply throwing them off onto a pile of sand or dirt to slowly die for an hour being cooked in the sun, struggling to breathe while getting eaten alive by ants and wild Goannas.

Don't we all wish for a swift death? Crap are the same.
>>
>>1145497
Not to mention import taxes. They vary from country to country ofc.
Here in Denmark they suck ass. For any commercial goods (bought and sent from a store) from outside the EU you get taxed 160DKK (~25USD) + ~25% of the package value for packages over 80DKK (~13USD).
For gifts I think the limit is 360DKK (~58USD).
For international shoppers (a fancy way of saying cheapskate who don't wanna pay anything) it kindda sucks.
Don't know about other countries and their limits and taxation systems ofc.

>>1145558
$15.85 is still a big chunk out of $25. But even that is not that bad for sending a package around the globe in a week I agree.

>>1145593
Aye! Always pisses me off when people make animals (yes, even carp) suffer needlessly. Here in Denmark people in general handle trout like it was a fragile flower and unhook under water and kill it fast if its for eating etc.etc. Yet the same people (I generalise) happily let eg. herring and needlefish flipflop around on the ground till they suffocate. Makes me wonder why some fish are treated with more respect and dignity than others...
>>
>>1145618
That's just what it costs to mail a package 4000 miles. I don't know how aliexpress gets their generally free shipping but it usually takes a month to get something over from china by boat. I got no idea how to do that though.
>>
>>1145620
Chink shipping is dirt cheap or 'free'* for several reasons. I won't bother go into the details as you can easily do a search and come up with it yourself (try 'why is shipping from China so cheap').
Most 'free shipping' packages from China has one thing in common: small and lightweight. Just thing how many packages with a phone cover (example) can fit in a regular shipping container on a ship or a cargo cage (correct term?) and what it costs to ship said container/cage on a ship/plane.
Also it is mostly automated and due to the cost of living being lower the little manual labour that has to be done is quite cheap as well.
All in all there are several reasons but as I said you can easily look it all up and find said reasons on your own.

*Free shipping just means the shipping charge is included in the price - nothing is truly free.
>>
File: alienexpress.jpg (41 KB, 1105x346)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1145623
It sure doesn't feel like it's included in the price.
>>
>>1145624
>It sure doesn't feel like it's included in the price.
That's the chink magic. I shit you not that $1 lure with free shipping might not have cost more than $0.1 to make. Things are ridiculously cheap to produce. I wonder sometimes as well how the hell they can do it so cheap and still make money. But even that $1 lure with free shipping is making a profit for the seller.
>>
>>1145624

The Chinese economy is largely based on export and the government is trying to aid the economic growth by keeping the export as cheap as possible.

btw I have the pike version of this swimbait and other models. They are quite good and don't even look that cheap.
T
>>
File: squid_luv.jpg (118 KB, 960x751)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
give me some alternative hook system for squid fishing with live baits. Pic related my last squid I catched.
>>
Any Txfags fish Brazos Bend statepark after Harvey? Heading out there tomorrow and just wanna know if there's any spots to avoid or try
>>
Hey Skid do you still live in the same place that I sent the gift last year? I just got my first deer for this year and can send you some hair.
>>
>>1145618
I know nothing of Herring and Needlefish, but aren't they edible too?

>>1145624
After seeing on Liveleak some guy opening up his "Samsung" HDD only to find it was just a thumb drive with a few nuts and bolts glued to the case to make it heavy I'd hate to see how Aliexpress skimp out on lures.
>>
>>1145393
>Pelican
I once hooked three different pelicans on the same bait, while I was wrestling with the one before it, the next would grab the bait out of the other's mouth.
>>
>>1145785
>Needlefish
From personal experience needlefish aren't that tasty. And they can be a bitch and a half to handle, fraying your lines and swinging their sharp teeth around. As for herring people don't always care about stuff they will use as bait.
>>
>>1145492
Yeah it's tiny. I recommend the echo base 2/3. It's cheap, light, and works. On a 3 weight the reel doesn't matter nearly as much as on an 8 or even a 6 wt, but the echo base is still pretty good. Tack on normal 20 pound Dacron backing and a cheap 3 wt line (I recommend Cabela's brand) and honestly, just go for a double taper.
>>1145708
I moved but I'd sure appreciate it, my email is skidindingo@gmail.com if you wanna iron out the details there
>>
>>1145852
Yeah I didn't think the reel would matter too much. What leader/tippit size am I looking at?
>>
>>1143415
Is there any technique or skill involved in fishing swim jigs, or is it just cast and slow retrieve?
>>
>>1145863
Give them a little hop every so often.
>>
>>1145863
I mean it's basically the same as fishing a paddle tail. Don't just use a slow retrieve. Mix it up. I've caught a lot of fish burning one past cover. You might also want to give it some twitches. I've also caught fish yo yoing it through the water collumn like a lipless crank.
>>
>>1145872
You gettin in on the SS?
>>
>>1145785
From videos that I see on people using them, they are definitely held together by cheapest material possible just to hold the outward appearance. The more sophisticiated the design, more flaws will be shown. Hard crank/jerkbait will get filled with water right out of the box or after a bit of use since the pieces aren’t sealed well and plastic is cheap. Maybe half of them will run right out of a box and probably more than half will stop running right after a bit of use.

Of course, you can still catch fish if the lure isn’t perfect because sometimes fishes are aggressive enough to hit a lure that doesn’t run right.
>>
File: IMG_20171116_141738.jpg (1.51 MB, 2592x1944)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>1145859
6 foot to 9 foot, 4x to 7x. 7.5 foot 5x would be my go-to. Long enough for a good presentation, short enough to be accurate in tight quarters, heavy enough for a reasonable fish, light enough to break my line before my rod.
>>
File: reeintothevoid.jpg (2 KB, 143x121)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>Got skunked
>Spilled Tiger Nut glug all over my fishing bag
>Ducks bullied me all day
>It gets dark at 4:30 now
>>
> All these deals
Who spent more than $100 on fishing shit this black friday here?
I spent around $60 from DSG and spent $55 more on tacklewarehouse today
>>
File: notice.png (660 KB, 612x608)
660 KB
660 KB PNG
>>1145624
its subsidized by the chinese govt. packages under a certain weight and size are shipped free by the service. shipping is not included but a form of tax is levied which pays usps for tracking services.
I had one of those cheap lures ripped in half by a striper.
>>
File: lunkrpunkr.jpg (204 KB, 960x540)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>1146033
almost 16x what you spent
>>
>>1146033
I spent $60 on lures I would otherwise never buy, from Dicks
>>
Think they will ever make a decent pedal kayak for less than 1 grand?
>>
>>1146071
No.
>>
>>1145959
My friend makes hardbody lures out of timber and doesn't paint them and they still catch fish, depends how hungry/greedy they are I guess. I bought some cheap ass Chinese 5 jointed Carp swimbait from ebay and the thing swims beautifully, dunno how It'd go if it actually caught a fish though.
>>
File: 1469943222564.jpg (53 KB, 355x678)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>1146033
>tfw no black friday in my country
>still spent just over $500 over the last 2 weeks on a new rod, reel and tacklebox regardless

I need a woman in my life to keep my finances secure.
>>
>>1146096
>Woman
>Keep finances secure
Lol don't know about that one buddy
>>
File: 707.png (1.45 MB, 1151x815)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>
File: q10.jpg (75 KB, 800x533)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>
>>1146100
If they have their own job and separate bank account then sure.
>>
JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST WHOPPER PLOPPER. HOW HYPE SHOULD I BE?
>>
>>1143415
Lets talk about baits that give you the most bang for the buck in various categories.

Fruits
Vegies
Meats
Etc.

For particle bait chumming Field corn is by far the most cost effective.

What are some cheap baits you guys use in bulk?
>>
>>1146117
For saltwater, I believe squid is the easiest and cheapest universal bait to have. It works whether it's fresh, or frozen then defrost. Not many many bait can maintain such integrity like squid after being in the fridge. It's very durable and can keep small fishes from stealing your bait. It's texture is also make it easy to cut and shape into durable chunk trailers that stay on the hook after many casts. Otherwise, catching your own fresh live bait is the best, but sometimes you don't have that option.
>>
File: kl loon.jpg (193 KB, 960x720)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>
File: 213.jpg (230 KB, 691x607)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>
>>1146129
Given the height of the boat they have probably already gaffed it through the skull to land it and it's already dead. If it was CnR then fuck those brochad pieces of shit.
>>
File: p1455827995.jpg (28 KB, 600x347)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>
>>1146141
That looks like absolute pain in the ass to rig. The rubber wacky o ring seems to be significantly simplier and better
>>
File: IMG_20171125_111128.jpg (3.96 MB, 3120x4160)
3.96 MB
3.96 MB JPG
Hey you guys r8 my trout I caught in a stocked shithole. I'm pretty proud of myself considering Im mostly a pier fisherman.

Also, do you guys have any tips on catching stocked trout?
What's good for bait?

Pls no bully.
>>
File: Wacky Jig Rig.jpg (74 KB, 628x690)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>
>>1146146
>That looks like absolute pain in the ass to rig
How so? It's literally just sliding a stickbait through a hole lol
>>
>>1146162
Well for starter not every stick/worm bait are exactly the same diameter. Since it's a solid metal opening, it won't stretch to accommodate different worm size. If the worm is too small, it won't even work. If the worm is big, you have to be careful to not rip it when trying to force it through.
>>
>>1146173
That's fair but I would assume it's made for senkos and like size lures. I couldn't get over the hook sticking out of the back like that. It would bother my tisms something fierce.
>>
>>1146179
Yea that is true as well. I would be paranoid about missing hook up or the fully exposed hook with hook guard freaking the fish out a bit. That also makes me try to imagine what a hilarious abomination it would be to stick another artificial soft plastic on the hook.
>>
>>1146180
>senko through the hole
>rage craw on the hook

If we threw a skirt and a blade on there it would be the ultimate meme lure
>>
File: P3ZR9Yd.jpg (63 KB, 683x908)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1146129
>>
File: IMG_20171101_011803.jpg (105 KB, 448x816)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>1146129
Nice dink
>>1146141
Okay that's cool
>>1146226
>White people
>Being weird as usual
>>
>>1146129
>>1146226
>Drunk retards being retards
These people are a threat to other people when on a boat.
>>
>>1143415
I just made a kayak anchor out of a 5lb plate and some paracord. Will I drown myself if I attempt to use this thing?
>>
>>1146314
It will probably just skid around if there's any wind or current. I use a 5 pound Danforth that hooks every time. I had a cannonball on a Paracord once, like from a downrigger , it never kept me in place even in still water.
>>
>>1146314
On a small lake that will be fine, anything else it will be completely useless.
>>
File: shamwow.jpg (72 KB, 636x520)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1146236
>>
File: UCmerolling.jpg (26 KB, 600x450)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1146314
used one for a couple of years. didnt work that well but it did slow down the drift
>>
I wanna get into fly fishing, what's a decent combo for a beginner ?
>>
>>1146314
I just use a 5lb dumbbell and it works good
>>
>>1146387
Reddington Rod
Cheapo Real

Don't Dump money into a real unless you are targeting large (10lb+) fish that need a drag.

Hand Stripped in the line works just fine, and you can give line easilly with your hand.

Even Cheapo line will probably be ok.

Put most of your money into a decent pair of waders, tippet/leader, and flies.
>>
File: chub 4.jpg (490 KB, 1600x1200)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
Went Chub fishing today on the river,

Was hard going, fecking freezing.

Managed 2, both caught on cheese paste. Largest was just over 4lb.
>>
well im home now, and going steelheading tomorrow. wish me luck
>>1146387
cabelas three forks/prestige plus combo
it can be had for about 70 usd on sale, comes with a nice rod, a nice reel, and decent line, as well as a leader. i've fished mine in freshwater, saltwater, and i have had no issues with it.
>>
File: molecrab.jpg (27 KB, 1024x602)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>1146236
>>
File: image.jpg (2.32 MB, 2303x4096)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
I finally caught a fish on the rod I built lol
>>
>>1146549
i mean its cool but i wasnt going to go to the fly shop for chinelle that they probably wouldn't have, and whatever dubbing that is. im content with my spun deer hair.
>>1146554
nice fish and nice looking rod too
>>
File: GJ.jpg (66 KB, 960x960)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1146554
>feels goodman
>>
File: SanFlies.jpg (228 KB, 653x489)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>needs orange egg sack
>>
>>1146590
mine have them when viewed from behind or underneath
>>
File: heeb.jpg (60 KB, 960x720)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>
>>1146601
I saw someone use those to catch 3 250+lbers at my local BPS the other day.
>>
>>1146555
Thanks. The fish almost looked like it was pregnant. Had a really fat belly.

Oh and do you think I'll be able to find craw patterns that will work on that 3wt or am I better off just using my 8wt if I want to do that?

>>1146558
It really does
>>
File: they.jpg (165 KB, 960x720)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>1146624
They should've tried harder to get three
>>
Secret Santa is gonna be fun...
>>
File: mud.jpg (57 KB, 550x734)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1146642
mudhole's cyber monday started..75% off rod making stuff.
>>
>>1143415
Is it ethical to stock fish illegally where they don't belong. Shitty troy lake near me that I think would be good for bass. Literally no trout in there, and there's nothing else that Obama the lake. Would it be okay if I though some smallies in there? I honestly don't even think there are minnows or bait fish in there. Is it totally wrong for me to stock it?
>>
>>1146642
i'm going to say no. the biggest thing you will probably be able to cast is a size 4 unweighted wooly bugger, and you are going to be wrestling it. for something bead head, i wouldn't try bigger than six, and a cone head you are looking at an 8 at most. you have to remember 30 feet of your 3 weight line will only weigh about as much as a .380 bullet (the projectile, not the whole round) so you wont be able to cast much. your best bets will probably be micro buggers, micro clousers (i will send you some if i get you for the secret santa thing) foam crickets, and other smaller stuff
>>
>>1146672
God damn that's light. It'll be used with little foam poppers mostly. I'm down with the micro clousers tho.

>>1146664
Thanks anon! Good lookin out.
>>
>>1146674
i've never seen one in a store, and i tie them on a #12 hook out of (basically) marabou. i hooked in to an easily 13 inch bass on one once with my 2 weight (only judging by the size of its mouth when i saw it get inhaled, he broke me off quickly because i had tied on 8x tippet by mistake)
>>
>>1146688
>out of (basically) marabou
Please don't send me your pubes.

I'm excited to finish this little rod though. Probably won't get around to until next week. I wrapped some of the guides cause I was bored, but I want to wait until I have everything to make sure it's all straight. Probably won't get much use out of it right now, but it'll be dope in the spring.
>>
>>1146669
Unless you're a biologist it's never really ethical to introduce a new species. With that said, do you have lmb naturally but just not in that body? Not every lake can be a bass lake, look into what species you do have and adjust your tackle accordingly.
>>
File: IMG_20171126_090918974.jpg (4.18 MB, 4320x2432)
4.18 MB
4.18 MB JPG
Friend caught a nice rainbow. Black marabou jig
>>
>>1146688
Been a bit since I was in these threads. I tie up tons of conehead marabou jigs for my 6wt. They worked perfect when I was fly fishing for smallies in Kentucky over Thanksgiving. I was definitely thankful for dink smallmouth for helping me avoid my family.
>>
>cabelas has waders on sale for $20
>only in size 7

I mean I'm sure they weren't great but for $20
>>
>>1147035
Wish Compass360 did a Cyber Monday sale. Been eyeballing their pant waders for a bit.
>>
>>1147035
>size 7
Like shoe size? Are you a footlett, I couldn't imagine most people fitting into anything smaller than a 9. Correct me if wader sizes are different.
>>
>>1147156
Yeah and I'm a size 12 lol
>>
>>1147156
Size 7 honestly isn't that small. I'm a 7.5 WW, which means I have short but very wide feet, like size 10 width. I wore size 9-10 shoes for years until I actually measured my feet and realized that I was nowhere near that size.
>>
>>1147192
>Size 7 honestly isn't that small.
Yeah let me just slip my 11.5 EEEE into one, I am sure it will be fine.
>>
Should I buy a lews speed spool tournament as my second baitcaster? I already have a shimano curado. Its between lews or something from 13 fishing
>>
>>1147192
size 7 is honestly that small,
i know for a fact as a size 13 shoe size i cannot fit into cabellas cheap boot foot waiders size 11,
i can squeeze into a 12, but no smaller
>>
well i didn't catch anything but my friend showed me some things, like how to mend better, helped me cast better, taught me how to read water better (i really do need glasses though, just for fishing. he was pointing out boulders on water that looked super flat to me from that distance, but when we closed distance it was clear as day)
he also gave me an old sink tip which was pretty cool
>>1146712
it's the fluff off of the base of a white feather, chill.
>>1147002
10/10
>>1147035
>I'm sure they weren't great
the neoprene ones are actually really nice for steelheading imo, but for down there you will probably want something really nice like gortex so you dont bake.
>>
>>1147235
They were just some unisulated ones. Had either 5 stars or 1 lol. I think the retail was like $90 normally. I also wouldn't use them all that much, so I don't know if I want to get a really nice pair.
>>
>>1147240
fair enough. just go wet wading, and bring an old credit card to scrape off leeches
>>
>>1147242
Eh I don't really want to wet wade when it's 50 degrees out lol. I dont mind wet wading in the summer though. That's comfy.
>>
>>1147216
Lews speed reels are kinda trash.
>>
>>1147242
I have never seen a leech. I do not think they are a worrisome problem in Texas.
>>
>>1147035
That’s why I like having 13 feet. Whenever shoes go on clearance, the 9-11 sizes get wiped out and there’s nothing but 7 and 13 so I swoop in and grab em.

>>1147192
Nah man, that’s pretty small. Hopefully you know how to work it proper or she gonna find herself a Pepsi guy.
>>
>>1147262
I've had exactly one very very small one. Was about the size of a grain of rice.
>>
File: MDCL0yc.gif (1.99 MB, 420x275)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>1147269
The horror. Honestly I am more worried about the tiny fish.
>>
>>1147270
Reminds me of when I got bit by the nipple fish. The little fucker hurt.
>>
>>1147192
I work with shoes and men's sizes start at 7.5, if you wear a 7 those are youth shoes.

If you didn't know for years that you had 3cm of space in between your toes and the end of the shoe, you might want to get your IQ checked. Plus you and >>1147194 have freakishly wide feet
>>
Rank of this black friday/cyber monday fishing sale

Tacklewarehouse> DSG = tackledirect > cabelas > BPS
>>
>>1147266
What in the hell is a 'pepsi guy'? My penor isn't a size 7 if that's what you mean.
>>1147352
I did know, but they were the only shoes that fit my wide feet. Nothing else felt right, it was either too tight or just disproportionate. My outer toes are still getting crushed a bit after daily wear in a 8EE boot (my measurements are 7.5EEEE). Huge improvement, though.
Not even casual sneakers fit because the problem is with the base of my foot, not the upper. You can loosen the upper, but the base is mostly inflexible and tapered. You should know this.
No, shoes start at 7, even 6 at some places, in adult men's sizes. Don't generalize based off of one chain. And besides that, I'm a 7.5 going on 8.
>>
>>1147192
>>1147424

post feet no homo. I want to see what kind of abomination your feet are

I wan
>>
>>1147424
>My penor isn't a size 7 if that's what you mean.
Translation, "I might not reach the bottom but I will bust the sides out of a tuna can."
>>
Has anyone here ever had to unhook an octopus? How did you do it?
>>
Good winter rigs? The obvious jerkbaits and spoons I know, and anything finesse- drop shots, shakey heads, ned rigs, grubs, etc

But what else? Carolina rigs? Jigs? Spinnerbaits? Chatterbaits? Beetlespins? What else works for you guys when water temps are in the 40's?
>>
>>1147496
i did once, but i forget how i did it.
>>
File: IMG_20170603_081853.jpg (276 KB, 727x968)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>1147216
The Curado you already have is better than the Lews or anything made by 13. Buy another Curado or a Diawa Tatula.
>>
File: IMG_20171118_144206.jpg (124 KB, 418x556)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>1147538
Jerkbaits, jigs, and shakey heads. Maybe a lipless crank. Leave your spinnerbaits/chatterbaits in the box until the water gets back above 55.
Caught this pig on a jerkbait two weeks ago.
>>
>>1147561
The concept A is pretty damn good though

>>1147563
Slow rolling big spinnerbaits is a pretty common winter technique. I'm sure it works better in deep lakes though.
>>
>>1147573
>slow rolling spinnerbaits
Have heard some guys do this, but I've had zero success doing this over the years. Conceptually it's really no different than slow rolling a lipless crank which has worked for me. Good luck to you if you try, but I leave the spinnerbaits alone until the prespawn period comes up.
>>
>>1143415
Post dinks
>>
>>1147573
>concept A is breddy gud
It's Quantum-tier. Good but not great. You can do better, and since he owns a Curado he already has.
>>
File: unnamed (2).jpg (74 KB, 475x721)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
so wat i learned yesterday fishing with my buddy lou is that i need to learn how to spey cast, and that i want a spey rod.
>>1147583
dink!
>>
So the first batch of my black friday spree is here. I typically fishes smaller , lighter swimbat but I’m interested in trying out bigger one. Gonna venture out to the deeper jetties and see if I can land nice calico or halibut with them. These mc viejos are interesting since they are long but has really skinny profile with big ass thumping tail.

Also, I ended up ordering an okuma btx-40 from tacklewarehouse as well for $70 to replace my symetre. My symetre, which was already running into a bit of problem after a really bad dunk into wet sand, somehow end up with a completely bent bail assembly as well today. I’m not sure I got it during my last fishing outing at the rock jetty or I mess up and bang it somewhere at home when putting it away. I finally “gave up” on it and drop it off at shimano center in irvine to see what they do with it. At best but unlikely, they fix everything for only $25. At worst, they might give me a new reel for half price. It’ll take a while though since even though they said they will get back at me in 2-3 weeks, I’ve read online that sometimes i takes 6 weeks + to get stuff back from them.
>>
>>1147678
I have like 3 or 4 rod blanks and various components coming. I might've bought something else and not remembered. I was pretty toasty on Friday.

>>1147581
Yeah it's weird how some people have really good luck doing one thing and then you don't have any when you do it lol.

>>1147586
I'm just saying there's never been a situation where I've been like man I wish I had my Curado instead of the concept A. I agree the Curado is better, but not by much in my opinion.
>>
File: butters my toast.jpg (12 KB, 268x200)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1147697
>it's weird how some people have really good luck doing one thing and then you don't have any when you do it lol
i know, right?
>be me, yesterday
>dead drifting eggs under an indicator
>"hey, let me show you something"
>"okay" i say as i hand my friend the rod
>he does one a single handed spey cast and tells me it's spomething worth learning
>lands the rig exactly where i've been casting
>mends the exact way i've been mending
>gets a take and hooks it
>mfw
>>
Anyone have experience with LurePartsOnline? Good prices but I don't want to be scammed
>>
>>1147697
What beer do you drink?
>>
>>1147708
90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the people. That's how it goes. I've been trying over a dozen trips and still no steelhead.
>>
>>1147849
i get that part of it, but he did the exact same thing i was doing in the exact same way that i was doing with literally the exact same rod/reel/line/leader/weight/fly that i was using and got the fish that he said should be there on his first bloody cast.
>>
You goys should go check your local Sears and see what these ring up as. $44...
>>
>>1147859
Damn, is that sale still going on?
>>
File: 20171128_202605.jpg (4.07 MB, 4032x3024)
4.07 MB
4.07 MB JPG
>>1147859
Why would I need a second and inferior tool?
>>
File: image.jpg (1.65 MB, 2303x4096)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>1147846
I like Corona Extra (with a lime of course) the best, but I like LoneStar, Banquet, and Budweiser.

>>1147859
The girl got me a Gerber multitool for my birthday. It's pretty sweet. I wish the knife profile was different, but that's my only complaint.
>>
>>1147864
I just bought it today. I’m soooo tempted to go back and get one for myself and girl and my mom both offered to buy it for me but I don’t need it.

>>1147866
Because the price mang! I don’t need it either but it’s a steal. Leathermans rarely go on sale, and when they do it’s like $10 off the ones that nobody buys, not th Wave.

>>1147868
I have a Skeletool in my tackle bag and I like it because I didn’t need a 3” saw n shit.

Anyway girl’s dad’s birthday is Friday and he left all his tools n stuff in Venezuela when they moved so we were at the mall and she got him a little Craftsman set that was on sale for $40 off $100. She saw the Gerber Suspension there too for like $35 and was like “Oh! He used to have one of those and loved it!” but I said tools because that set was much more for the money. Then she gets home and her mom bought him some Stanley set and I’m like “Tell your mom to bring it back, yours is better anyway” but mom is stubborn as hell so it wasn’t happening. So she has to work the next few nights and I was like “Ok I’ll bring the tool kit back and grab a multitool, but I’m gonna spend a few extra $$ and get him a Leatherman because they’re the go-to” and had to explain to her that he probably bought that Gerber in Venezuela because a Leatherman would’ve been like $300.

So I stopped at Sears and they had the Sidekick with no price tag and it rang up like $40 but didn’t even have a sheath. So I was like fuck it, just spend the extra $50 and get him something nice and the Wave rang up $44 and some change.

End blogpost
>>
>>1147877
The only reason I didn't want a leatherman is because I can't stand their styling and I've always used Gerber since I was a little one. Plus it's just gonna be used for fishing, so it won't see any hard use either way.

That skeletool looks dank though I might get one.
>>
>>1147883
the reason i dont have a leatherman is because i generally think multitools are shite considering i usually already have a better pair of pliers, a better knife, a better hook/knife sharpener (still pretty trash though) and never used anything else on a multitool ever
>>
>>1147886
Well yeah but it's also inconvenient to carry all that shit around lol. It's more of a "this will work for now" thing. I should make and patent a fishing specific multitool so you can do minor repairs on reels and stuff while you're fishin.
>>
>>1147889
pliers i have in my tackle bag regardless, a knife is in my pocket fishing or not, the hook sharpener sits in the bag taking up as much space as a pen and not weighing much more either, and they already make a fishing reel tool kit that is not much bigger than a cellphone if any bigger.
>pic related
but lets be real, if your reel is actually broken to the point that you have to open it up, you probably won't be able to clean it well enough without a mini work-shop or actually fix it without a spare part on hand.
>>
>>1147886
I used mine 3 times at work today.
>>1147889
>ou can do minor repairs on reels and stuff while you're fishin.
Penn reels come with a tiny tool, with it and my multi tool I can do almost every repair I have ever needed to do no my reels and my AR.
>>
>>1147886
That’s why I got the Skeletool. Pliers, locking blade, screwdriver is a bonus if you need it. Light and super easy to grab from your beltloop when you have a fish in the other hand. Only thing I would change would probably be a spring in the pliers.
>>
>>1147891
That's all fair in a fishing context for sure.

>it's also inconvenient to carry all that shit around lol.
Was more in a general context where it's easier to just carry the multitool and not a separate set of pliers, drivers, ect.

Obviously you shouldn't use it to replace the actual tools, but it can be handy, especially since it's all in one package.

>>1147893
I need to check the box for my battle and see if it's in there.

>>1147895
>Only thing I would change would probably be a spring in the pliers.
I bough a set of rapala split ring pliers and the spring on those sucked. It was just a leaf spring between the grips and I'm fairly certain it's sitting in the bottom of one of the canals on Padre Island. I pretty much only use it for removing hooks so it's not a huge deal.
>>
>>1147895
The spring on my Surge is really smooth, and the scissor blades feel really heavy-duty. If I could change anything I would remove two of the three (3) flathead screwdrivers that it comes with for something more useful.
>>
File: 20171128_183023.jpg (1.01 MB, 2160x2160)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>
File: 1128172045-1.jpg (871 KB, 2962x1638)
871 KB
871 KB JPG
>>1147897
>I need to check the box for my battle and see if it's in there.
Ok correction they have only came with my conventional reels not the spinning.
>Pic of the one from my 209
>>
>>1147897
>it can be handy, especially since it's all in one package.
i mean fair enough, but whenever i have used one to save the effort of having to dig out the "right tool" i got pissed off with it and wound up digging out the right tool anyways
>>
File: 20171128_182840.jpg (1.62 MB, 2160x2160)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>1147899
>>
>>1147895
>>1147898
If you look for them you can sometimes find the parts online then disassemble the multi tool and rig parts that you want into it. I did this a couple of times for some of my friends, just keep in mind that you have to have space for the pilers to go.
>>
File: 20171128_185543.jpg (1.48 MB, 2160x2160)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
>>
Great lakes region fella here. Just had a near 70°F day today, and I'm doubting the lake or even ponds around here will freeze over enough to fish , or at least not until after classes start back up in the end of January. What if I took my kyak on a couple little lakes and ponds and jigged like I was Ice fishing. It's not something anyone I've ever talked to have experience in and I don't even know what to google search.
>>
>>1147905
The sawblade and file are removable, I wonder if it would be worth it to make a fish scaler that would fit into the locking mechanism. Do you think it would be too short to be useful?
>>
File: 20171128_191430.jpg (1.66 MB, 2160x2160)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
>>
File: 9.jpg (20 KB, 312x473)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1147912
i'm imagining you're talking about going out when the lakes are just barely frozen over? like, there are patches of open water and patches of thin ice? if so probably what i would do is buy a cheap wal-mart canoe paddle, and a piece of thin bar stock from lowes, take both home, rip the handle portion of the canoe paddle with a saw that has a simmilar curf as the thickness of the metal, then fit the metal in there temporarrily, drill two holes for pins through both the metal and the wood, and draw an outline of the paddle handle on to the metal. sharpie in jagged teeth like in a cartoon saw that will be sharp enough to dig in to ice but not sharp enough to hurt a gloved hand, cut them out, then epoxy the mess in to the handle of the canoe paddle so that i can paddle in the water, and slide across the top of ice that is a little too thick to break through. it is also very probable that i am being autistic/completely misunderstanding you. just go fishing and find out what your needs are, then invent something to meet those needs.
>>
>>1147901
Ah yeah I don't think I got one, but for some reason that looks vaguely familiar. I'll check anyway just to be sure.

>>1147912
So you basically want to be vertically jigging? It's a pretty common thing off shore and in deeper lakes. Spoons my friend. Use spoons.

>>1147899
I don't mean any offense by this but you gotta be Mexican
>>
>>1147868
>I like Corona Extra (with a lime of course) the best, but I like LoneStar, Banquet, and Budweiser.
Disgusting
>>
>>1147951
I'm not gonna spend good money on "good" beer when they all taste the same after awhile anyway
>>
>>1147868
>>1147961
i go for the redds apple ale because it tastes good for the first beer, and i usually don't go past the second because usually by then im comfortably crossed and having a good time
>>
>>1147970

Drunk off two beers? Maybe skid isn't the degen that we have been lead to believe he was.

Fuck I can kill a case in an hour and I'm hardly buzzed.
>>
>>1147973
i drink maybe once or twice a month, and only smoke on weekends, so my tollerance for both is pretty low. my friend is usually happy to smoke me out, and i just slip him a tenner whenever we agree that i've smoked about a gram. i've seen nitwits be violent over a single perfectly legal piss beer, meanwhile the biggest argument i can recall while high is a heated debate over what exactly constitutes a jalapeno popper. we settled on "a crispy, stuffed, bite-sized snack based around the jalapeno pepper" or some such thing, because we decided you didn't have to batter and deep fry them when you can wrap them in bacon and make them crispy that way, and why should the stuffing be limited to cheese?
>>
>>1147919
That's one nasty looking catfish dude. Would not eat. The clearer they are the better tasting
>>
>>1147970
Found the faggot
>>
>>1147913
You could probably rework a saw blade into one. I do not know how well it would work as I do not scale my fish.
>>
>>1144330
Applaud this man. Bass fisherman deserve to be gassed.
>>
Fucking go to discord you circle jerking tripfags jesus christ.
>>
>>1148057
>discord
>using botnet chat platforms
>not just using something like IRC
Oh yeah that's right this place got overrun by newfags.
>>
Why does braid keep getting backlashes on my baitcasters? I have two of the exact same reels, one with braid and one with mono, and the braid gets backlashes on every cast unless I heavily thumb the spool which kills casting distance. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>1148048
>implying that's news
>>1148149
probably not setting the mechanical and magnetic drags properly
>>
>>1148061
Put your trip back on soy boy.
>>
>>1148155
My brakes are set kinda high, I dunno about my drag though. No idea how to set that
>>
>>1148238
there's the brakes on the opposite side of the crank arm, but on the same side of the crank arm there should be a little knob that you can tighten and loosen. that is your spool drag. set it so that your lure falls about 1.5-2 feet per second with the rod horisontal as a starting point, then tighten and loosen as you fish to dial it.
>>
I will eventually get into memecaster one day. Are left hand reel widely avaliable? Left hand reel makes so much more sense for a right handed person for me
>>
>>1148149
What size is it compared to the mono?
Are you 100% sure you spooled it tightly?

>>1148247
Yes they're easy to find
>>
>>1148266
What is a good basic baitcaster for inshore saltwater fishing. I heard that unlike spinner, you need to spend a bit more for functional baitcaster that won’t give you headaches.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.43 MB, 4032x3024)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
Not a bad deal... somebody else had Revo SX reels for super cheap too, like $80. TackleDirect maybe?

>>1148294
Check out the Abu Orra Inshore reels maybe?
>>
>>1148294
What's your budget?
>>
Found this on a picnic table near the river while eating lunch/watching the water.

What is it? I'll take it with me this weekend and see if it actually catches fish, but just what the hell am I supposed to do with it?
>>
>>1148301
Probably around $200 for rod + reel. I probably can buy a good used rod and spend more on reel. I probably don’t plan on getting one right now though as I just bought a new spinning reel. Maybe in a few months or even a year.
>>
>>1148310
it's daft.
>>
>>1148241
Jesus fucking Christ Skid, no, just no.

>>1148238
Anon go spend 5-10 min reading.
amateuranglers.wordpress.com/2016/01/22/braking-the-confusion-on-baitcaster-brakes/
>>
>>1148318

Obviously, but what is it for? Seems like a decent amount of effort was put in to making the thing, I can't imagine there wasn't a purpose to the design. Why is there a single hook draped over the treble? what purpose does the rope over the treble serve? Why is there a fluff ball tied to a swivel? Why not drop the swivel and tie it to the hook?

I guess without meeting whoever made it I'll never know, but this seems like it was purpose built for something, I would like to know what.
>>
>>1148332
>Fluff
Probably just trying to add movement to their lure/bait
>Fluff on swivel instead of hook
Probably so hooks/lures could be changed out
>String on treble
Probably trying to conceal the hook some?
>Single hook on treble
Probably an attempt at a trailer hook?
>>1148326
That feels like what I remember doing with my frogging stick but I've not even touched it in months
>>
File: C9_Y8BvUMAARpsz.jpg (181 KB, 900x1200)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>1148332
Looks like a homemade lure. The longer hook is there to allow the grub to be attached. Then he nig rigged the bucktail and swivel. It's like a modified grub, looks stupid but it should work
>>
>>1148332
This may come as a surprise to you but some people just do stupid things because they are stupid.
>>
>>1148315
Look for the last gen Curado. They retail for ~$150 but you can probably find them used for a good price.
>>
>>1148368
I do see someone selling a curado 301e with a mh teramar for $250. It sound like an okay deal but I spent quite a bit already this year and just got a new spinning reel so I might not pull the trigger.
>>
>>1148368
So the fan boys are going to REEEEE extra hard but... Daiwa Laguna reels are really good. I know all about how you should clean and maintain a reel for saltwater, and will advise anyone to do so. The truth of it is I have been rebuilding reels for 20+ years so I just do not care as I can rip one apart and clean it on the spot and be back to fishing in 30 minutes. So I do not keep up with cleaning after I use my gear at all. That being said I have been using my Daiwa Laguna for 5 years with out ever needing to open it up and clean it, hell not even a quick wash off after casting in the surf. They are not the best of the best but they are very well made.
>>
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 720x1280)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>open orvis catalog
>see bamboo fly rod
>$2500
>into the trash is goes

>>1148383
Is that the old school green one?

>>1148389
Eh I think most Shimano fan boys are Daiwa fan boys too so
>>
>>1148395
Yup, the green color is sexy as hell. However, I did spend too much recently I probably won’t pull the trigger.
>>
>>1148395
Nah Shimano fanboys = Glock fanboys Daiwa fanboys = Walther fanboys.
>>
File: IMG_20170603_194848.jpg (259 KB, 700x816)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>1148408
Shimano and Diawa are equally good
>>
>>1148412
They really are and that is kinda my point. Shimano shills will come out of the crawl spaces to tell you how much better their reels are and that you need to spend all the monies on them. Where as Daiwa fags just sit back and fish and keep quiet as they know they have a good product but do not want to deal with the other assholes.
>>
tfw completely satisfied with sub $20 combos
>>
Just bought a fly rod, what are some good lures for small mouth and large mouth bass? We have a ton in the canals out here
>>
>>1148408
>Daiwa = Walther
So, Daiwa deserves more credit than it gets but is still special snowflake?
>>
>>1148618
I'd say Shimano and Diawa are HK and SIG respectively - their high end stuff is the best there is, so it gets shilled by elitists and shit on by poorfags.
Walther is more like 13Fishing - pretty good but not a household name.
>>
>>1148462
Because you haven’t tried anything better. Expensive spinning reels don’t really cast any better than cheap ones, but drag, durability, and weight will be a factor. I can’t stand super cheap wobbly rods anymore though. It’s fine for soaking bait but tryin to work a shakey head is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>1148626
>their high end stuff is the best there is

Sounds like something a JDM fanboy would say
>>
File: three-ice-cubes.jpg (430 KB, 1920x1200)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
This shit right here.
Fuck it so hard.
There I was, happy as a clam finally having all afternoon to myself. No wife, no child, no tasks that needed to be done, just me being ready to go fishing for the first time in a month. Time to try out the new gear I bought and catch some pike from a nearby waterhole.
Having been busy the past few days it completely eluded me that temperatures had dropped and there was ice on the water. Fuck ice.
Sorry for blogpost. Pls to no bully.
But really, fuck ice.
>>
>>1148626
13 Fishing is a meme company that produces good products.

They're more like Kimber
>>
>>1148735
>good products
>Kimber
pick one
They've been cutting corners and producing overpriced dogshit for years now, based solely off their once-good reputation. At least they aren't Remington or Colt tier yet. Not sure who their fishing counterpart would be. Think of someone that didn't used to suck but is still expensive.
>>
>>1148310
>>1148318
>>1148332
>>1148339
>>1148345
>>1148340

Had an hour over lunch today so I took it out. In the spirit of stupidity I swapped out the treble hook with string for a treble with a spring on it and filled the spring with punch bait. I also swapped the single hook with an old make jig head I had because the damned thing was so light I couldn't get it down on the bottom. As haggard as it looks I caught a nice little 12 inch bass on the second cast. Didn't get another bite after that so I switched to my go to copper spoon but didn't get fuck all for the rest of the day.

I'm going to try making a few more and try
>>
>>1148825
>old make jig head
Naked jig head*
>>
>>1148735
13 makes cool shit but it’s like Lew’s where I would be weary of spending a lot on their high end stuff. I would rather buy from Shimano or Abu because I know if I ever have any issues with the reel, I will have no problem getting it resolved.
>>
>>1148626
>HK and SIG
Fuck no Weatherby and FN.
>>
>>1148747
>At least they aren't Remington or Colt tier
Remington 700 is still good for what it is...I say this while I hunt with a savage trophy, but the 700 is still ok...ok fine they are shit and holding on to the old reputation.
>>
>>1145863
I went on a trip down to the okefenokee swamp for a few hours and fished swim jigs for a while, not one bass bite, but multiple pickerel and lots of bowfin were caught with a simple lift and drop technique, they didnt have paddle tails on em but simple zoom flukes (the smaller ones because I was using smaller booyah baby boo 5/16oz jigs)

also keeping the rod tip a little higher and twitching the rod tip to get the skirt constantly moving is a good way as well
>>
>>1146103
So that's how Kayaks are made
>>
>>1148972
> okefenokee swamp
I always forget that Georgia has a redeeming quality to it.
>>
>>1148974
Only if the bottom boats motor was oscillating at the time.
>>
>>1148969
>they are shit
I have a 700 ADL chambered in .308 that I shoot 0.75" groups with at 100yds.
What makes them shitty?
I mean the stock feels like a toy and I'm not fond of the small bolt handle but the bitch works.
>>
>>1149005
>bitch works
They do work, but that is all. For less money my savage trophy performs as well or better.
>>
>>1149013
Got my ADL for $399
How much is a Trophy?
Not trying to have a pissing match because I've shot a 0.8" group with my dad's Savage Axis in .223 which was like a $220 or $230 gun
>>
>>1149017
$400-450 on sale with a scope. Like I said the 700s are good but Savage has realy stepped up thier game.
>>
File: 1506767955738.png (72 KB, 390x492)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>1149022
>with a scope
And you use that scope?
>>
>>1149025
>>1149025
>>1149025
>>1149025
>>
>>1149026
>Nikon
Yes untill I upgrade to a thermal after this season.

Anyway new bread incoming.
>>
>>1146554
very nice, i have the same okuma reel. does yours have drag tightening issues?
>>
>>1145042
>Curado K
Thanks, I'll check it out. I see they got 6 models - half go out the window, because I retrieve lefty.
do you recommend any particular fishing string or is it like a spinner - where the type is based on the water conditions and what I am fishing for?
For instance, I never used braid, but I have used steel leads on monofilament for catfish / carp and other strong fish that like to use rocks to get off the line.
I also like to fish ultra light and finesse baits. To simple worm and bober chilling.
>>
>>1145493
not sure, but try jigging off the bottom.
>>
Figured this would be a good place to get some advice. I've decided on getting my niece and nephews fishing rods and reels for Christmas. Now, they are pretty young. 8, 5, and 3 respectively. The 8 year old is easy cause thats about how old I was when I started fishing, But what about the younger ones? Any suggestions?
>>
>>1150102
If you opt for a MH 7' like the other guy said then you'll be better off with either 20# braid (buy 832 but power pro is suitable) or 15# fluoro (seaguars). If you're new to the memecaster then definitely go for the braid instead.
>>
>>1147538
Nightcrawler and patience.
>>
>>1150167
Thanks, but am I buying one with or without that little trigger part on the bottom?

I always thought that trigger part on the bottom was for push-button reels only.
>>
>>1150806
If you get a low profile baitcaster like a Curado then you need a trigger rod.
The rod should say "casting" or something similar on it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.