[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: whipsnake-video.jpg (55 KB, 448x330)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcczjFRcVcU
>>
File: IMGP2120.jpg (156 KB, 662x1438)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
Just the other day I was hopping rocks down by the harbour while drunk and stacked it really bad. Feet slipped backward on a slick sandstone boulder, head went forward and I fell down to the next tier of rocks below me. Thought I broke my hand completely but by some miracle I did not. Busted knee, about 7 busted fingers, busted left shoulder, busted right hand, skinned cheek and 7 stitches in my chest. It's been 6 days and I can still barely tie my shoes. My friends thought I would have broken bones or snapped my neck or something. Stupid as horsecocks.

I think it was more dangerous when I fell off a tower I was building when I was about 14, but since I didn't get hurt nearly as bad and I was young (and not a fragile grown-up) I think this current situation was worse.
>>
>>1151237
I was a delivery truck driver for 3 years. I had 6 accidents in that last year. None were my fault and thankfully the trucks are covered in cameras for insurance purposes. People are fucking morons though, holy shit.
>>
>>1151264
What happened? Break ins?

>>1151261
At least you've got a cool new pattern on your T, it looks like a $400 Saint Laurent shirt.

Thank fuck you didn't land on your coccyx or head
>>
>>1151273
Thanks friend. Sadly the blood has all turned brown now and it's not quite as /fa/. I'm keeping it anyway though.
>>
>>1151277
Hell yeah
Good reminder to stay away from edges when inebriated, I went morning skiing while still pissed from the night before and plummeted about 7 feet off a piste cliff into a deep drift, didn't really realise what had happened until i was wiping snow from my eyes and looking up at my incredulous mates

Heal well bud
>>
Russian roulette.
>>
>>1151306
With a gun and a bullet you mean or do you just fuck black chicks?
>>
There's already a thread for this same shit. If you tell me it's not, fuck you, it is.
>>
>>1151237
Ive played with a rattlesnake when I was about 6 hours of swift hiking away from ANY road.
>>
>>1151398
Link pls
>>
>>1151264
I'm also a delivery driver. Can confirm people don't know how to drive. When you spend 40hr on the road a week you see some fucked up driving.
>>
>>1151237
Camped in a forest at the German/danish Border while the refugee influx was rampant. While cooking my meal I actually saw 1 family and a group of men pass by. I didn't want to be killed and robbed in my sleep and went further innawoods in between bushes and nettles and finally found a use for that tacticool moonlight mode my flashlight has.
In the night I could hear distant Arab sounding gibberish and general shouting from time to time.
>>
>>1151487
>a group of men
Bad goy, they're all wimmin and children
>>
Used a fallen tree to shimmy down a sheer cliff about 50-75 feet while tripping on acid. One of my favorite times camping honestly.
>>
>>1152507
I was smoking a blunt and there was a tree across a 50 foot crevice to a rock island type thing. Crawled 20 foot with one hand on the log the other on that blunt.
>>
>>1151487
I'm glad you're alright brother, they might have attacked you for not being arab.
>>
>>1151487
>>1152318
>>1153127
Racist antisemite
>>
File: tree.jpg (334 KB, 1280x720)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
Had a a couple "Oh shit" moments cutting down trees.
>>
>>1153508
If it's falling towards you, can't you just... run away?
>>
>>1151237
Not me but my dumbfuck of a friend stepped on a rattlesnake innawoods. Missed near certain death by a few inches
>>
>>1156048
I missed a brown snake onnatrail yesterday by a couple cm. Little fuck was crossing the trail and I was clomping around the corner and almost fell on it because I almost tripped trying to not step on it. I wasn't totally in the middle of nowhere but that would have been really shit.
>>
File: DSC01438.jpg (562 KB, 1600x901)
562 KB
562 KB JPG
Nothing too dramatic, but I nearly lost control (first time) while crossing a stream this year. Had been walking for about 8h straight, sun was going down and couldn't be fucked with going around the mountain, had ~1h left to walk and it'd take me at least another hour going around.

First attempt I had to turn back half way and lost footing but managed to not fall down completely. Second attempt went better.
It's like walking among slippery big stones where you can't really see the bottom, and cold rushing water that wants to sweep your legs away and makes you dizzy. Also cold and numb feet.
>>
>>1151237
Bushwacked my way up Lizardhead at 1:00PM in the middle of monsoon season in the San Juans. Ran into a mother black bear and her cub while thunderclouds gathered over me at 13,000 feet, in an area I knew the general topography of but had no map for. Good god I was a fucking stupid kid.

Lived to tell about it though.
>>
>>1151237
crossing an abandoned and condemned bridge over a river.
you could literally lift any of the boards up and toss them, they weren't attached at all and many were missing or rotten.
>>
>>1151237
Discussing the divorce papers with my now ex-wife while being on a climbing trip in the alps with her.
>>
>>1151487

> Decide to take my family and some friends on a field trip
> Germanyisnicethistimeoftheyear.jpg
> leave car at the camp, take kids for a walk around the campsite before we set up our tents and stuff
> 1 hour of walk from camp we spot this weird dude in greasy oversized army clothes that don't even match together.
> has the biggest knife I've ever seen strapped on his belt... makes weird sounds everytime it pokes him in his belly
> Is that a plastic bag tied on a stick?
> flashlight taped on his shoulder
> as soon as he sees us he bolts it into some bushes
> decide to ignore him, don't see him again but we can hear him mumbling something in german while making his way through a shrubbery right next to a fucking road
> whathever.jpg
> Later at night, can't stop thinking about the person we saw in the woods
> some weird flashes in the forest, sounds like someone with asthma is desperatelly trying to catch his breath after running, twigs snap etc.
> shuffle in my sleeping bag, fall asleep hoping I won't get murdered in my sleep

> leave early and find another campsite for the rest of the weekend
>>
>>1157038
Ich vas just trying to ask if you knew the vay to the /k/ meetup, sorry if mein accent vas too strongk
>>
>>1151237
shimmied along a 2 inch ledge full body flat against the wall in Zion national park off the main trail.
>>
>>1153508
>>1153520
run to the side not away from it
>>
File: ub89898.jpg (923 KB, 2700x1800)
923 KB
923 KB JPG
Damn near freezing to death in Chicago when I was hobin' through there. Always be prepared for the worst.
>>
>alway go alone because nofriends
>saw a female moose off the trail when backpacking, just continued on while it froze
>came over a rise once and a cat was in the middle of the trail, took the fuck off so i didn't see what it was other than a cat
>go scrambling solo
nothing too major
>>
File: 7587987.jpg (44 KB, 600x600)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1159578
>>
>>1159593
Hey, better safe than sorry.
>>
>>1151237
a lot of hunters died in my area one day long ago
it was a very warm day
ducks everywhere
suddenly high winds blew in a dangerous winter storm. rapidly dropping temperatures and blowing snow
big waves and ice quickly building at the banks made the river extremely dangerous.
river is normally very slow moving and even today some boats are 15 horsepower or less

read the better story here
http://www.ducks.org/hunting/duck-hunting-stories/the-great-armistice-day-storm-of-1940
>>
File: sweatmanintense.png (509 KB, 200x600)
509 KB
509 KB PNG
>>1159612
>+55 to -55 just like that
>>
>>1159628
With repeading numbers there is a higher meaning to it.
>>
>>1159644
>44
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1159677
44 is half of 88
the post does not contain the number 2 so we multiply by 2
so we have 88
now we take the first number and the last number.
put them together and it makes 14

>>
>>1151237
>Hiking/scrambling decently sized mountain in WA with a friend.
>We go off-trail to scramble some good looking rock.
>End up on a ridge and we decide to bushwhack towards the trail.
>We made it through dense brush to a gully/waterfall near the trail.
>Decide to pack it in, try again next weekend and downclimb through the rocky gully.
>All the rock is damp from mist.
>Things go pretty well until buddy slips and takes a tumble, sliding ~20 feet down like a dry waterfall while looking for a route down, hitting rocks along way.
>All I can do is watch and yell 'Oh shit!'
>He's all fucked up but I can't get to him.
>I run around in kind of a panic looking for a way down
>...
>>
>>1159712
>After ten or twenty minutes I find a way to bushwhack it.
>He can't walk, back is fucked up, ankle may be broken, other stuff
>Get his keys; give him my gloves, food, and water; set marker with my GPS app; and run back to trailhead.
>Run into two hippie types on way down who stay with him until rescue.
>Drive his 4Runner like a lunatic to rangers station.
>Tell them what happened/location and they contact Snohomish SAR.
>Go back to trailhead to meet SAR guy.
>Sit in his jeep with him while he directs a (free!) helicopter evacuation via radio.
>Meet buddy at hospital a few hours later.
>Injuries less serious than originally thought, but still two compression fractured vertebrae, broken wrist, ankle fucked up somehow.
>>
>>1151308
underrated
>>
>>1159035
what if the tree decides to change trajectory?
>>
>>1159776
then start running the other way dummy
>>
>>1153520
trees fall slowly, you won't die crushed by a tree
what kills you is falling branches and machinery
i was falling a tree and its branches touched a tree close to it which was half dead and its top broke and planted itself in the ground in front of me, but i noticed it in time and moved away
>>
>>1159558
>Not fucking the moose
wew
>>
>>1151237
I went to AZ and went on a semi-spontaneous hike up some buttes in trail runners. One rock had a smooth incline with no level spots or footholes, but it was a steady 45-60 degree ( or so) incline the whole way for like 100 yards. I walked up the whole way, looking back if I slipped I'd be in great pain or death. Similarly in Canada I did a lot of lone free cliff climbing an hour away from the nearest town, and two hours from the nearest hick hospital.
>>
>>1159612
do you think this is God's revenge against those harming his creations?
>>
>>1162347
Moose in fall are more dangerous than bear and mountain lion. I'd rather be in sight of a mountain lion than a bull moose in October by a long shot. most of the year they're pretty docile
>>
File: tacomanarrows.gif (4.61 MB, 350x289)
4.61 MB
4.61 MB GIF
>>1159612
that's the same storm that collapsed the Tacoma Narrows
>>
>>1159714
holy shit... dude's very lucky. what a nightmare. At least Washington is used to these rescue operations.
>>
>>1163512
>>>1159612
>that's the same storm that collapsed the Tacoma Narrows
LOL I read that as "taco man arrows" at first
>>
File: 172074506.jpg (323 KB, 1500x1120)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
>>1151237
once climbed up once of these with a m8 in canada. it was about 200 yards or so straight up it took us like an hour to climb with a paintball gun on a sling (we were looking for spots to play in the woods) was like 13 and felt like some sas shit. when we got up we were on top of a mini mountain. we got a sick view of Vancouver island and shot paintballs off a cliff. was completely retarded and we coulda died but good memory and it seems like no one had ever been up there literally no human traces, probably cause you have to be retarded to get up there. was a nice spot id go outing there if i still lived in BC
>>
Freeclimbed in the Shwangunks. Pretty dumb.
>>
>>1156095
Where is this? This is beautiful
>>
File: 1984-ATC250R.jpg (120 KB, 900x512)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>1151237
>What's the most dangerous thing you've done while /out/?

Back in the 80s, my buddies and I would go Up North several times per summer and ride dirt bikes and wheelers around like maniacs while dunk.

Never saw any DNR or Forestry Service and we'd literally strap cases of beer to our wheelers and go racing thru the woods in the middle of the night without helmets.
>>
>>1151261
Lol can you tell the tower story?
>>
>>1159714
Was this on the news? i think i remember hearing about this
>>
>>1162195
If you don't know what you are doing the trunk can also split. Some guy was smacked in the head and instantly died, he even wore a helmet.
>>
File: dsc00463.jpg (553 KB, 1024x683)
553 KB
553 KB JPG
>>1169295
Northern Sweden.
>>
>go to spend the night in a mountain cabin on the last weekend of the season
>2700m altitude
>trail turns into a scramble at the end, make it up ok
>next morning have to go down at the break of dawn
>temperature dropped during the night
>scramble is now covered in ice, no other way down
>slipping means falling a couple hundred meters in a glacial lake

somehow made it down
>>
>>1157024
Underrated kek
>>
>>1153520
Sometimes (especially with hardwoods) the trunk springs backward after landing from the crown. That shit happens fast and in unpredictable ways.
>>
3 weeks ago, i did some rock climbing at night without any harness or rope.
A girl is now paralyse on the right side.
I won't do it again.
>>
>>1151237
> What's the most dangerous thing you've done while /out/?
I HIKE
>>
>>1153184
He's
>>1153184
He's not wrong, you brainwashed cuck.
>>
>>1151308
kek
>>
>>1166438
How did you get back down? Funnily enough I did a similar thing and I still have a dodgy ankle and scars all along my back and legs to prove it
>>
File: 1504973011209.jpg (31 KB, 326x253)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1151237
Free climbing

Looking back it was extremely stupid, but I was young and have/will never do it again. I was with a group of 5 friends and one of us fell from the rock face when a chunk of it gave out. He couldn't move and we had to climb down, retrieve him, and then carry him to the truck where we drove him to the hospital. Ended up breaking his back, but not seriously. Was in a wheelchair for a bit but made a full recovery.
>>
>>1153184
kike detected
>>
>>1172487
Rough to hear. Mind sharing the story?
>>
>>1169538
Maybe, it happened in October. http://www.heraldnet.com/news/hiker-is-rescued-after-falling-on-vesper-peak-near-verlot/
>>
>>1159680
>mind=blown
>>
File: trollin_boxxy.jpg (21 KB, 467x337)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1162456
>God
>>
>>1169332
This sounds like Michigan... yes?
>>
File: solo-climb.jpg (105 KB, 800x534)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Free soloed a 5.10.

Free soloed trees with dead limbs.
>>
File: 1514147829321.jpg (179 KB, 1192x830)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>1151237
I wanna do that so bad
>>
>>1159593
>6% of the population
>commit nearly half of all violent crimes

I think it's justifiable

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.