[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Okay guys. I dont have either one of these brand knives however my little brother wants a knife for Christmas. Instead of paying through the nose for something decent at first which of these two brands should I give him for shit kicking in the swamps of florida.
>>
>>1153478
Get him a stainless steel folder.

Teach him how to sharpen it.

If he keeps it in good shape, then you'll know what to get him every year.

I recommend a Kershaw. Won't break the bank, quality that will last if you take care of it.
>>
>>1153485
this
byrd cara cara and rat-2 are good cheap ones
>>
File: 434_02.jpg (333 KB, 1800x1200)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
>>1153478
>Instead of paying through the nose for something decent
But anon both if these are very decent. Personally I like the Mora the better but maybe a folder is the best option. I would get him pic related instead. Just with plain edge blade, it's also very cheap.
>>
Stainless mora
>>
>>1153478

I use a carbon mora when I go out and I keep a (9 or 8 size, I dont remember) opinel in my pocket everyday. They are both good starter level knives
>>
folders = meme
>>
make america great again
>>
>>1153571
Chisel??
>>
>>1153571
America is plenty great, fag
Get a stainless mora OP
>>
>>1153478
mora is harder to fuck up and easier to sharpen for a beginner, plus it's big and bulky enough he won't be tempted to carry it to school.
>>
I'd go the Mora just because the handle prevents your index finger from Slipping onto the blade, wet hands or gloves that can't feel properly and poor knife control and he's cut his finger.
>>
>>1153590
>he won't be tempted to carry it to school
>Not carrying your knoife everywhere
Fuck this gay earth
>>
>>1153478
ugly useful fixed blade vs "pretty" useless folding knife

If you want to give him something useful go with a Mora, if you want to give him something pretty go with something else.
>>
>>1153478
Stainless mora in a bright color that'll be hard to lose.

>>1153639
Opinels aren't useless, just less useful for your only knife innawoods.
>>
>>1153478
>Instead of paying through the nose for something decent
OP you fucking gearqueer. Both of them are good knives that will get much more use than an expensive one that you never use because it was so expensive. Post your drawers full of knives that you bought, sharpened, then put away forever.
>>
>>1153640
>opinels aren useless,you just need to carry another knife on top of it because they are unreliable pieces of shit as outdoors gear
>>
>>1153478
>implying mora and opinel aren't decent

Wew lad.

If he wants to do wood work get him a carbon mora, if it's wet, near the coast, and or mostly for food prep get him a stainless mora.

At the cost get him both. An opinel 6 or 7 Complements a mora nicely
>>
>>1153687
One question : do you own an opinel?
>>
>>1153564
Same here. Own a well worn carbon opinel 9 for edc and smaller stuff like food preparation.

For the tougher work like carving, its a mora (dont like to have pine tree sap on my fish)
>>
>>1153640
Opinels are terrible for anything other than whittling and cutting food. It's a knife but it's more a picnic knife. It has its uses but a Mora would be infinitely better when you're innawoods.
>>
>>1153687
f a l s e
>>
>>1153711
That's basically what I said.
>>
>>1153636
kids shouldn't bring knives to school nignog.
i of course carry 2 blades everywhere. 1 multi and 1 sturdy ass folder that you can even baton with.
but i'm not in school anymore so there is that.
>>
>>1153920
I took a knife to school everyday
I am not exactly sure when I started but it was definitely before 7th grade when I didn't even get out of bed without a knife in my pocket

other kids were the same.
>>
>>1153927
How old are you that your school didn't have a retarded zero-tolerance weapons policy?
>>
>>1153920
>kids shouldn't bring knives to school nignog
Only if you are a unlucky fag who grows up without a dad. I had multiple knives as a kid and when I was like on the third of fourth grade I carried it to the school too and I obviously never threatened or even showed it around there. I also never had never had a single problem regardless. It was just natural having it, the same way my dad and granddad had theirs.
It's about education, you can't even have a pencil with you and being a shithead who beats kids, disrespects teachers or shits in the middle of the football field.
>>
>>1153945
>you can't even have a pencil with you and being
you can even have not a pencil with you and still be a shithead.

Fuck, my english is broken as fuck sometimes.
>>
My dad already spoiled him with a benchmade folder. I was thinking the mora because there seems to be less of a chance for him to slip and cut his hand. thanks guys
>>
>>1153945
>It was
but it's not anymore. kids are shitheads and having a knife in school is something no fucking body wants. the parent's don't want it the teachers don't want it and most kids don't want it and the cops and politicos especially don't want it.
world changed a lot. it was not a good idea even back then but it's a stupid idea nowadays.
>>
>>1153478
just get a mora he cant break it if he wanted to and its even better to learn from and mora is like $12 on amazon.
>>
>>1153947

It's all about your education Anon.
>>
File: 2139620322.jpg (59 KB, 800x337)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
but yeah
>>
>>1154017
Tbh other than the internet boom I don't think much have changed. I live in a country where things like metal detectors or school shootings are 100% a foreign concept that simply doesn't happen around here, no gang related stuff either so I may have a different perspective.

>>1154278
Lel good one, in my defense I'm not an Anglo tho.
>>
>>1154341
alright think about it this way:
would you let people carry weapons that are not accountable for their actions? like mentally ill deranged people? kids are not accountable for their criminal actions (except for certain countries and circumstances) they have no voting or reproductive rights. they have slightly higher social status than property or dogs. they should not have fucking weapons on them! it's a stupid idea.
>>
>>1153920
Negro my 8 year old took his Opinel No.6 to school to whittle in lunch break. He goes to a semi-outdoor Steiner school though so that pretty much throws all the normal school culture out the window.
>>
>>1154562
if the school policy allows knives sure it's on them whatever happens. which school is this exactly? i'm gonna exchange some mails with the director if you don''t mind ask him about this...
>>
>>1154566
>please let me dox your child
Fuck off you ain't getting shit
>>
>>1154570
i didn't ask for his name i was just curious about the school policy and how they handle the responsibility coming with allowing kids to have knives at school grounds.
purely out of curiosity. cause i never heard such a thing. there was a summer camp where i carried a knife as a kid i remember sticking it into my knee by accident. that was the moment the supervisors realized they are legally responsible for injuries and that was the end of kids carrying anything. i was pretty mad it was just an accident. but you know adults.
>>
>>1154577
I don't live in the US and our accidental injury compensation system is state owned and operated on a "no fault" claims system, so we probably don't have the same issues surrounding fault and litigation for medical expenses. One of the benefits of a single payer public health system I guess.
>>
>>1154587
well then you can surely name the school that's all i ask.
>>
>>1154592
It's a very small school. No.
>>
File: lindseylohan.png (240 KB, 377x427)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
>>1153478

both are durable cheap knives

I like Opinel because the design is from the 1890's and I like the wooden handle
I like Moras cuz they're only about 10-12 bucks if you order from Amazon and find the sellers that are just starting out, i.e., FREE shipping

are these becoming the "hipster" knives? seeing more and more about them

would still bang
>>
>>1153646
only have one but thanks for being the kinda guy that smells his own farts and knee jerks to everything he reads online. suck wrangle stars cock you cunt muscle :)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.