[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 142 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: IMG_5813.jpg (139 KB, 2100x1386)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
What happened to homeless general. Been a while since I've been back here as my /out/ relating activities (fishing) has died off due to circumstances. I used to enjoy lurking the homeless thread as I live in a van and sometimes would get some good tips. I saw it bred a lot of hate and some homeless fags were being somewhat insufferable though. So what happened? Was it purged or did they all just die? Am I the last living homeless guy?
>>
File: rsz_img_20171217_151939.jpg (162 KB, 1328x747)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
I stopped making threads 2 threads ago. I will do em again but i dont have much new content right now since ive just been working on the bus. Just been sticking my head in giving my 2 cents where its applicable.
>>
>>1165335
Damn. Nice work. I'm assuming you are using a generator.
>>
File: rsz_img_20171224_214117.jpg (113 KB, 1328x747)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>1165339
Thanks man its all coming together. I have a generator and im about to start hoarding batterys for the battery bank. Its nuts having a nice computer again.
>>
>>1165343
I'm looking at getting a generator that's advertised as being only 3-6db louder than the Honda quiet. I have an auxiliary battery and am using a yellow top. Want to get a second one to make a bank but everything is all fucked up because my last van's timing chain fucked up and I'm stuck financing another van for a year or so.
>>
where do you park?
>>
File: rsz_20170512_133735.jpg (124 KB, 1280x768)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>1165352
I have a 3000 watt generac. Its loud as shit outside but you can barely hear it in the bus. A generator is a game changer if you have a bunch of electronics or use it to charge a bank when youre parked instead of running through the alternator. An inverter like the ones you find at Flying J/Loves is plenty to run lights and a laptop. Im doing the bank/generator so i can fuck off into the mountains year round instead of running off when it gets too cold/damp. I have electric heat and ac and also a propane heat system.
What kind of van did you get?
>>
File: rsz_img_20170418_173430.jpg (142 KB, 926x1223)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>1165378
Anywhere my dude
>>
>>1165378
Your mom's ass
>>
>>1165352
>my last van's timing chain fucked up
How?
>>
>>1165382
E150 cargo van
>>1165474
Just out of the blue backing out of a parking space at the gas station at 280k miles on the dash. I'm not 100% sure it was the timing chain but based on my experience trying to get my timing right after a head gasket swap on a different vehicle I'm pretty sure that's what it was. I just hit reverse and started backing up, felt a slight *wump* and the fucker died. I could crank it and it would catch while still cranking and die after a little bit. Did that about ten times and managed to hobble it in to a Walmart parking lot and there it sits. Won't even catch anymore. Could feel all kinds of misses when it did fire up.
>>
>>1165382
Also, I'm very curious about what kind of AC you're running. I won't be getting one this year and will have to tough out another summer but I'm at least going to try and get a basic swamp cooler setup this time.
>>
I live on a boat, do I get to hang out here
>>
File: DSCN1071-762x456.jpg (49 KB, 762x456)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
I'm going innavan but I'm going to do it in one of these, they're fucking cheap as hell and get incredible mileage.
>>
Any tips for a guy who's parents are homeless? They've been so for 3 months and talking about a fucking suicide pact.
>>
>>1165962
Then they are weak and must die
>>
>>1165962
Set up a go fund me and keep the money
>>
>>1166006
Pretty much this. 3 months is baby stuff. They need to go to a shelter and get a job.
>>
>>1165962
KMFDM
No sympathy for the weak.
>>
Anyone here do any dumpster diving?
Any tips for a new guy?
>>
File: 15142607381780.jpg (422 KB, 768x1280)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>1166167
Go look in the dumpster

I could really break it down but you're best off going and looking for a few hours, walk the alleyways behind stripmalls and businesses. Take a good flashlight/headlamp at night, if you're really interested in finding good shit you'll need to find the shit people have thrown in the dumpster while moving. Apartments, townhouses, etc.
>>
>>1165962
www.cheaprvliving.com
Any and all info about vehicle living.
>>
>>1166167
>>1166238
^ Gonna second the poster here, OP, but I'll slap down some advice; Headlamp all day every day, frees up both hands. Wear gloves; I used to dive at retail locations all the time, especially Walgreens because they seem to toss out really good stuff but it always tended to smell like soap/perfume. So I'd always do rubber gloves under sturdy work gloves. If they can handle getting wet, even better.
Bring a bag, if you drive to your locations, try not to park somewhere conspicuous. I always walked to my places, so I guess I had that on my side. Don't bother diving at actual malls, all the businesses usually toss their stuff in one big compactor, same with Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

My Walgreens always seemed to have one good toss day a week, Tuesdays, and it'd be all sorts of stuff; damages, 'old' food, etc. Once, I hauled probably two or three entire cases of protein shakes out that were 'expired'.

So, my hitlist for diving, based on experience alone: Walgreens, small bakeries after close, Little Caesars. CVS sometimes? They'd toss good stuff but I always had trouble diving there. They seemed to operate under the same lines as Walgreens.

Used to dive because I couldn't afford to live in my apartment -and- eat. Sometimes it worked out great, sometimes it didn't. Glad I'm in a spot where I don't have to do that, but damn if I don't miss the rush of a great dive.

Oh, and those dumpsters with the bar lock on them CAN be bypassed, it just takes a lot of bending the plastic lid back enough to slip over the bar. They're a bitch to crawl out of, though.
>>
>>1165872
Its uncommon for the timing chain to break completely.
There is a chance that only a single row is broken, and the other row has stretched, causing the timing to go off. There is a chance its still fixable
>>
Yeah I miss homeless general. It was comfy.
>>
File: rsz_img_20170430_104317.jpg (136 KB, 1134x711)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>1165872
Did you ever replace it? Most of the time you're supposed to do it at the 200k mark. Like other dude said though, hold onto the van, find somewhere to put it til you have funds/time/energy to fix it. Is it an e150 too?
My Cobalt died the same way. I bought it off a lottery scratcher ticket someone put in my hat while busking. Drove it 210k miles and the timing belt broke. I had the bus by then though so it worked out OK.
>>1165883
It's just a combo heat/ac window unit from Lowes. 12k btu, slide out chassis.
>>1165929
Yes post boats
>>1165954
Damn man you could fit like 8 midgets in that thing
>>1165962
wat? Are they addicts? This is solid advice: >>1166035
>>1166167
Other anon has you pretty well covered. I'd add bagel and donut shops to that list. Bigger stores tend to all have compactors now but you may get lucky at your local grocers. Hit every pizza shop ever. Gas stations like Caseys, QuikTrip etc.
>>
>>1165335
Dude, you are one of my personal heroes. This looks amazing.
>>
>>1167116
>A drugged out dumpster diving grifter is my hero

Why are your life expectations so low?
>>
>>1165343
>still spend money on weed
for what purpose
>>
File: rsz_img_20171205_163937.jpg (146 KB, 1328x747)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1167116
Thanks dude I'm really happy with how it's turning out. Kind of blowing my own mind a bit.
>>1167142
If all you want is to travel and live outside it's a pretty god damn achievable goal there buddy. Good luck with whatever lofty aspirations you're holding yourself to. Some of us are happier with less.
Also you forgot the part where I'm a child kidnapping rapist.
>>1167255
I have about 5oz of weed right now and it was all free. However, when I do buy it I don't fret. There's plenty of money floating around even if you don't count on the weed fairies.
>>
>>1167414
hey i'm planning to join the great homeless mass soon, i was wondering what is the best way to get a little money for eating? aside from begging. do you do odd jobs once in a while for people?
>>
>>1167414
nvm, dumpster diving is apparently the best. what about for getting water?
>>
File: rsz_img_20161027_110251.jpg (184 KB, 1328x747)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>1167442 #
>eating
Dumpsters, community/bum feeds at shelters or churches, drop ins, food pantries, food stamps if you want. Water is everywhere. You can always fill up a jug wherever you want.
>money
I have done odd jobs but i dont typically seek them out. Ive played music for 70% of my money, otherwise panhandled/flown a sign for 20% and worked for 10% in the 6 years ive been homeless.
If you want to make money you have to keep moving. New town every couple days keeps everything fresh. You can fly a sign or play music, gas jug if you have a vehicle. Its easy as shit and you end up with quite a bit of cash on top of seeing the country. Being homeless in one place without traveling is basically the fuck my shit up starter pack. If you want to continuously enjoy yourself you need to travel.
>>
>>1166504
It's an e250. I don't have anywhere to put it really. I could pay to have it towed to a storage lot and act like it runs if I smoothed talked enough. I just got rid of the truck my wife gave me back after the breakup though. I don't want to pay storage lot fees I need to pay this van off ASAP so I can get back to saving money. I wish I would have been more foresighted and saved some money to just get another random beater but I was out of vacation days at work and needed a ride literally that day so I bit the bullet. It's all good though. After two years living in a van already, I know how to live cheap and I picked up an extra job.
>>
File: rsz_img_20170513_195501.jpg (124 KB, 1328x747)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>1167530
I get it. I'm pretty much just shoving my pov onto your situation since my van went a while back. It needed a new engine soon and I just didn't have the cash to do it as I had just finished putting one in the school bus. I had a place to store it for $25 a month but instead I just gave it to an old dude who planned to fix on it then take off in it when he retires next year. I'm glad I did that, but after seeing what the next few months had in store I definitely could have stored it and gone back for it.
Easy come easy go. Hopefully that old man actually fixes the thing.
>>
>>1165384
Could your van just break down on you? How are you prepared for that? And are you playing video games on that pc
>>
>>1166167
Most dumpster diving food is expired junk food. Unless you get lucky and find a restaurant that throws out fresh leftovers. Which is more common in cities.
>>
>>1167414
How do you bathe

How do you clean dishes
>>
>>1167459
>Being homeless in one place without traveling is basically the fuck my shit up starter pack. If you want to continuously enjoy yourself you need to travel.
This has truth, but its harder to build connections. And aftrr about a year of traveling I started to tire of having my few connections scattered hundreds or thousands of miles apart
>>
Where do you poop?
What if your house breaks down?
Where do you shower?
Isn't this illegal?
Don't people mess with you?
Do the "Van by the river" Chris Farley jokes get old?
How do you explain the huge gap in your resume?
What if you get sick or hurt?
Isn't it lonely?
Do angry rednecks ever try to shoot you?
Do you worry about break ins?
Isn't it expensive and exhausting?
What about mold, mildew, moisture?
Doesn't it smell in there?
Is it claustrophobic during extended bad weather?
>>
>>1167623
In a bucket/composting toilet/stores
Fix it
Gyms, mostly
gtfo bootlicker
Do people mess with you?
eh
digital nomad babyyyy
go to the hospital, what's wrong with you?
Aren't you?
Same question to you
Don't you?
150000$ house vs 10000$ van
What about that in your house?
^^^
Eh can be but don't be a pussy and get out faggot
>>
File: 1503591998685.jpg (132 KB, 720x960)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>1167630
I'd probably steal one of those goal zero generators with the solar panels. I guess they can hold a few days worth of charge and they can be bridged.

Also steal a dodge ram promaster van and install everything in a storage unit over a few years. Steal a license plate off a similar van and just drive it out to the middle of nowhere and live like a hobo king for a year or so and just leave it there and go home eventually or if the cops are called on me
>>
>>1167646
>steal
>steal
>steal
fuck off faggot
>>
>>1167652
Ah yes, the rules only apply when I like them arguement. Oh the irony
>>
>>1167659
There's a difference between being a bootlicker and being a dick. Pretty easy to see you're both faggot
>>
>>1167609
>Could your van just break down on you? How are you prepared for that?
Sure, has. I'll fix it in a parking lot or find some good old boy to work on it for cheaper than a shop. All else fails I pay some mechanic shop their blood money to fix my shit for me. I'm prepared mostly by keeping a constant eye on anything I'm worried about breaking. Maintaining is always easier than fixing. There isn't much to these old vehicles though, they are easy to work on and figure out.
>are you playing video games on that pc
Yeah. I've been playing Insurgency, BF1, SC2, TESO and catching up on some single player games I missed while I didn't have a computer. Gaming has always been part of my life. Used to play a bunch of shit on DOS then I started playing CS when I was 9. I had a gaming computer I had built as a teenager that I had stored for years when I started traveling, ended up selling it because I had to replace two wheels on the bus. Just put this new rig together over the past few months.
>>1167614
>How do you bathe
Truck stops, people's showers, streams lakes rivers ponds rainstorms sinks hoses pools puddles water jugs and buckets etc.
If you think you can take a bath in it, I have probably taken a bath in it.
>How do you clean dishes
I have a cup and a bowl. I clean them with water.
>>1167616
After 6 years of traveling I have connections everyfuckingwhere I go. The gaps eventually close down into a nice tight little network, and that's with little focus on socializing. Most of the time I'm just doing my own thing.
>>1167623
Anywhere
Fix it
Not one bit
Nope
Nope
I'm "self employed"
You just deal man. Been sick a handful of times and hurt with broken bones that didn't heal for over a year. Life goes on.
Nah, I got my dog and friends anywhere I want em.
Nope
Nope, never had anything approaching one
It's the easiest, laziest, most profitable life you can have whenever you want.
No prob
It definitely can
Nah. Its comfy. Much better in a bigun than a little car tho
>>
how are you guys using internet? do you just park by a mcdonalds and use their wifi?
>>
>>1167674
>Living the metal box life
>>
>>1167623
>Where do you poop?
At Bucees (best restrooms on planet) or the gym
>What if your house breaks down?
In my case I had to get another one. I couldn't work on it I depend on it for work
>Where do you shower?
Gym or truck stop
>Isn't this illegal?
Yes but not at Walmart. I've been told even by cops I'm allowed to park there.
>Don't people mess with you?
Yes. They think work vans are full of crack and break into them or they get super paranoid from all the crack if you park near them.
>Do the "Van by the river" Chris Farley jokes get old?
I love Chris Farley.
>How do you explain the huge gap in your resume?
I don't have a gap. I'm working rn and just got a second job.
>What if you get sick or hurt?
I don't.
>Isn't it lonely?
Yes.
>Do angry rednecks ever try to shoot you?
No. I would shoot them.
>Do you worry about break ins?
Yes.
>Isn't it expensive and exhausting?
No and yes.
>What about mold, mildew, moisture?
Can be an issue but insulating helps a lot.
>Doesn't it smell in there?
It can.
>Is it claustrophobic during extended bad weather?
The heat is the worst. It can be hell trying to sleep one off sometimes xD
>>
>>1166318
work at krispy kreme always get some divers. there's nuthing wrong with them fyi. not even out of date. :)
>>
>>1167767
Man, see. I always wanted to dive at the Dunkin near me because I knew they'd toss perfectly good donuts at the end of the night but I was worried about them calling the cops or something ;w;

Bless up tho, thanks for the word!
>>
File: 15145038851400.jpg (291 KB, 768x1280)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>1167767
>>1167793

Krispy Kreme is the best donut dumpster. Several contractor bags full of glazed donuts. Recently found out "99 cent only" stores have produce and other food, they throw that shit out. Picture related, a box of sour cream that still hasn't expired yet.
>>
File: 14913121476250.jpg (370 KB, 1280x960)
370 KB
370 KB JPG
>>1168108
>Theo's chocolate in Fremont, Seattle
>Organic chocolate factory
>regularly see groups of hipsters on dumpster 'tours' stop by on bikes and get shown dumpsters by some hipster who is leading the tour
>once saw little old couple get in and get a bunch of chocolate bars out
>always has chocolate
>almost always knee deep in fucking chocolate flakes in the dumpster, baking chocolate, spicy chocolate, solid chocolate easter bunnies etc
>>
>>1167730
>Living the wooden box life
>>
File: 20171228_171300.jpg (193 KB, 566x528)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
UPS van, wtc?

Seems breddy gud.
>>
>>1168133
i'd live in one. those things are huge inside
>>
>>1165325
Any advice for someone that' about to be homeless for 4 months?
Dont have a car, can couch surf for a few weeks and sporadicly go back for a week. Got 250 in the bank, got a place to stash my stuff. Will start a PT job next week so I'll have an income of around 230 a week. Also got a gym membership to shower and stuff.
>>
File: 1483242178498.png (365 KB, 442x580)
365 KB
365 KB PNG
>>1168113
>not discounting this shit heavily and still making money and getting people in the front door to potentially buy other shit
i'm no business major but are they not literally throwing away money here? i can understand places like walmart throwing mass amounts of shit away because policy but what the fuck
>>
>>1168139
How's the weather where you live? What camping equipment do you have already?
>>
>>1167612
I ate like a healthy king when I was dumpster diving. Hit up Kroger and Aldi, they throw out produce every day. Salads, oranges, apples, potatoes, day old bread. And always could have fried/rotisserie chicken at the end of the night
>>
>>1168139
first thing you should get is a good sleeping bag if you don't have one already
no matter where and how you sleep, a good sleeping bag makes all the difference
get a decent tent, you can find them cheap or bum one off a friend or a blue tarp and a rope is fine
assuming it isn't ridiculously cold where you are you can make do with a 3 season tent just fine
its much easier to have a peaceful setup if you can travel around more to and from your job
if you have a bicycle then go setup camp innawoods and ride in to work, urban camping sucks
if you have a national forest near you then that's perfect, dispersed camping is where its at
bike commutes are easy up to 20 miles and further should be doable if you have time
if you don't have a bike, then come to /bbg/ on /n/, we'll help you find something
you could try looking for an old motorcycle too, but bicycles are cheaper and easier to work on
>>
>>1168143
t. Millennial retard hobo who thinks he knows more about business than the owners
>>
>>1167759
>Yes but not at Walmart. I've been told even by cops I'm allowed to park there.
I remember being told in another thread that Wal-Mart was the one place you SHOULDN'T park as a vandweller...the anon said that you'd have way more people problems and contact with cops and other trouble.
>>
File: rsz_img_20161016_192947.jpg (418 KB, 1328x747)
418 KB
418 KB JPG
>>1168316
Was I there calling him a lying faggot?
Because he was a lying faggot.
>>
>>1168143

The cost of keeping and selling the inventory at discount rates is likely too high to offset the profit that could be obtained by tossing it and making new chocolate.
>>
>>1168295
calm down dude, he even said he's no business major. he admitted he doesn't know for certain, but that he thinks it would be a loss for the company.
>>
>>1168143
Costumers are incredibly picky, they will barely buy a product that has slightly worn packaging, let alone out of date, the mindset is so ingrained that people will not buy product with days of date left, And you expect them to buy it out of date? It won't happen.

Also you can't trust food banks to give the product away, the one store I know who fooled with it, had their product basically sold off by the "food bank" so they said fuck it and throw it in the dumpster.
>>
File: clarke.jpg (106 KB, 828x1104)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>1168295
t. asshurt faggot insulting random people for hypothesizing about pointless shit on the internet

>>1168386
>>1168456
i guess you're right. i don't think these dumpster diving hipsters are very picky though, they would be the market for the $2 trash-bag-o-chocolate so they don't have to pick each piece individually from some steaming hot smelly roach infested dumpster
>>
>>1168461
>roach infested dumpster
dude what? I have dumpster dived for the last ten years, the dumpsters I found the most food all the time were the cleanest dumpsters ever. all their stuff was thrown in there in bags, so the only dirty thing in there was water soaked card board and the like, I'd get bags full of food in the same pristine condition as it went in the bag.
>>
>>1168465
the post above with the chocolate in the dumpster shows it not in a bag so that's what i was talking about. even if the food is in a bag, i guarantee there are roaches chilling in with the rest of the shit where you're climbing, maybe you don't see them for the 3 minutes a day you're in there. you also didn't deny it's steaming hot and smelly. wouldn't you avoid all that by going in the front door like a human being and buying the $2 bag-o-chocolate and support your local small business?
>>
>>1168461
Y'all should market your business consulting services to Starbucks and Krispy Kreme. Maybe set up an office inside their dumpster to advertise your professional qualifications.
>>
File: C444AeOXAAAXoRe.jpg (234 KB, 1187x1200)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>1168477
Only downside is that you would become so rich that you would lose your hobo credentials and be just another schmuck at Price Waterhouse Cooper's. Better stick to stealing copper from the electric grid
>>
>>1168477
>that anon is a real go-getter and had the wild innovative idea to not throw away literal tons of perfectly good product each day
>turns out there is a massive untapped market of dreadlocked suburbanite van dwelling vidya playing "hobos" who have plenty of money for weed and don't mind paying for discounted shit
>>
Any Europeans? Stories, experience?
>>
>>1168471
the picture above is a dumpster I wouldn't dive in for nothing, most businesses in the US do not toss out food in those conditions, you just don't know where to go to my man. Second of all "local small business", there is no such thing anymore, they're all part of a chain and not locally owned.

Not everywhere is texas or florida, you don't have roaches in a dumpster when its 35 degrees, you don't have roaches in a dumpster that has no food exposed or is clean, you also dont have them in places that are kept clean which includes grocery stores, I have been to grocery stores and dollar general stores that were gutted because they had critters, your concern over critters at the dumpster is over blown. if you dont want the products then dont dive in it.
>>
>>1168526
The Theo's chocolate dumpster is surprisingly clean and I've never seen roaches in the northwest like I have in the Southeast or Southwest. Even then, I've been dumpstering for years and off the top of my head I've never seen a roach infested dumpster, but I'm sure there's plenty in those KFC or taco bell dumpsters but I don't go near those. There's always lots of flies at fastfood/restaurant dumpsters.

Seattle makes all the businesses compost, they don't throw it out in bags because it's a giant compost dumpster. The cocoa flakes are like husks, not dirty or melted any time I saw. The bars are usually suspended in the flakes, and obviously nobody is going to want to eat anything that's sat in the dumpster juice at the bottom of any dumpster but there's no dumpster juice in that dumpster.

Many businesses don't compost anyway, and I don't think they have to unpackage units if the product has been packaged(catering companies). Catering companies that work at an almost industrial scale, that have their own packaged products sold separately, is essentially the best come up dumpster you can find.
>>
>>1168488
https://youtu.be/4K-kaeNCtXY
>>
>>1167443
Carry a spigot key with you.
>>
>>1168139
Start scouting places to set up. I'm no longer homeless but I still can't stop considering spots I notice when I'm going past them.
>>
File: 1502587599133.png (499 KB, 388x520)
499 KB
499 KB PNG
>>1168561
>college humor
>>
>>1168594
>mfw some bum opens up a city water spigot and gets drenched
>>
>>1168163
Not to cold, but rainy. I got a sleeping bag and a tent but it's one of those 1 minute tents and flashy green so it isn't easy to hide. Going to buy a cheap second hand one. Also got a light and camping bag.

>>1168266
I got a bicycle. Did you ever get caught "camping"? I have a few camping places in mind that aren't too far away from where I work. But I'm not 100% sure I won't see people there.

Any advice on how to store clean clothes? I work in the service industry so I need a clean, ironed shirt and outfit everyday.
>>
>>1168958
Camo or brown tarp from walmart to cover your tent
>>
>>1168958
>Any advice on how to store clean clothes? I work in the service industry so I need a clean, ironed shirt and outfit everyday.
clean plastic trash bag + 2 pieces of cardboard and a bit of tape or twist ties
fold your nice shit up, put the cardboard on either side and use it to keep the clothes pressed flat, wrap in trash bag to keep dry
if you have a rack on your bike or you can find a cheap/free one, you can make a decent pannier out of a canvas grocery bag
just zip tie the fucker to your rack, at an angle so that your heel doesn't hit it as you pedal, much comfier than a backpack
have a couple campsites planned out for each night, pick the least populated one, and keep an eye out for people snooping around
i've been caught camping in a city by random highschool kids smoking weed in the greenbelt many times, not a big deal
realize that most people don't give the slightest fuck about some guy minding his own business in the woods
make sure to chain your bike to a tree or something, and cover it in a tarp or it might get stolen which would suck ass
in the absolute worst case, a cop might tell you to pack up your shit and move on down the line, in that case just lay low somewhere else
have a story ready, eventually someone will ask you questions, be honest and just say you're having temporary cash flow issues
you have a job and sound like a reasonable guy, so you should be fine, but be chill and make sure not to spook people
>>
>>1169581
Solid.
>>
>>1168500

Not Van Dweller but do Busk and Beg and Dumpster Dive. You can make a 5 figure income easily depending on what patch you're working and what shops are about. In the UK you cant beg or you'll get moved on but you can busk freely and you dont need to be able to play, just get a cheap amp and rig up your phone with some pan pipes music and off you go. Start at 7am and work through until late and you'll skin one to three hundy easily in London and the big cities and 50 to 150 elsewhere.

If youre not sure about busking buy a cheap painting from Aliexpress and an easel and just dab a brush on it to make it look like you painted it.

If youre in the UK get a Pedlars license for £12 and you can sell anything anywhere so long as you move along every now and then. I once bought a load of Bird Whistles and set up in a nature park; sold loads and madeover £300 profit over a weekend.

Bin diving (dumpster diving) can be tricky. When you find a good spot make sure you treat the bin gently or the owners will just double pad lock it. Easiest to get inti are the ones in shopping malls. Put on a fluorescent jacket and get a clipboard and a box so you look like you're making a delivery. When I worked at a Mall we had lines painted on the floor in the basement and these would normally lead you to the bins; alternatively stake out the place and wait for collection lorrys to arrive. Make sure you know your rights - tresspass in the UK is not a criminal offense, aggravated tresspass is. Is someone approches you and calls you out tell them you didnt know you were on private property and leave. If they stop you ask them politely to prove to you that they are the property owners. Always offer to move on. If they act silly and try and detain you or call the police tell and if you have a phone record yourself saying over and over that you are happy to leave. If the Cops turn up question them politely as to why they are attending a civil matter.
>>
>>1165325
Living in a van for a month now in albuquerque. This citys getting old fast. Where should i head
>>
>>1167255
clearly to meet the frownies
>>
>>1167614
>How do you bathe
There are heaps of ways to setup a camping shower, or can just shower at work or the gym or bathe in lakes and rivers. There are showers at populated beaches too.
Could rig something up like link below, or just use the old canvas-bag tied to a tree branch like people use when camping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4sXd4VY1m0

>How do you clean dishes
With water, duh. You dont even need a foot pump or electric pump, can just set up a gravity feed in the sink in your van.
>>
>>1168139
get a full-time job as a housekeeper for a hostel. they're always hiring and will usually let you live in a room for dirt cheap.
>>
>>1170790
Chaco Canyon via northern route.
>>
>>1170833
>sleeping with bedbugs
>>
I'm in school and have plenty of shit to deal with in my home state, but almost every day I think about just loading up my truck, leaving this state, and just traveling around for a while. Maybe even without the truck. I just want to do it for a while to get it out of my system and then continue on with my serious goals and stuff. Has anyone done anything similar? How did it turn out?
>>
>>1167759
>Bucees
Are you based in Texas?
>>
>>1170790
If you have camping shit that’ll keep you warm head north to the enchanted circle
>>
>>1165954
Did a google reverse image search, still couldn't figure out what model or year of Honda this is.

What year and model is this and where is the best place to get a van like this?
>>
>>1170933
Some fucking foreign turd. Get a Mercedes Benz van.
>>
>>1170864
Looking at doing this once I get out of debt. I think the important thing is to make sure you don't leave any loose ends before you leave so you don't have to worry about coming back to an absolute mess when you decide to reintegrate to "normal" society.
>>
>>1170790
Santa fe
>>
>>1170451
I like that sneaky chinese painting idea
>>
File: 15149450392460.jpg (473 KB, 1280x768)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
>>1170790
Las Cruces is nice. White Sands national monument is down there, it's dope.
Between there and Tucson is a lot of amazing places. You could also go over to Flagstaff and down to Phoenix but be warned Flagstaff is 7k elevation so it's cold as fuck. If you're trying to avoid the cold/elevation, go south to Las Cruces and then west into Arizona from there.

I'll be in Arizona for a few months, already been here a little over a month. Just got a job in Quartzite so I'll be here for another month at least. There's a gem show and some other things going on, you should come here to be honest. There's thousands of snowbirds and travelers and all sorts of transient folk in Quartzite. The rubber tramp rendezvous is out here, and just about anyone who deals with gems and rocks is probably out here so if that's your thing the town is great.

It's my fourth year coming to the Desert for winter, it's nice.
>>
>>1168266
>if you have a bicycle then go setup camp innawoods and ride in to work, urban camping sucks
I was hiking in my local park and found a homeless camp. The retards started a bonfire when it's illegal to do so in this county park.
Within 2 days of seeing them I saw police patrolling the outskirts of the trails and they were kicked out.
There are some decent homeless spots in this park like where I grew some bud once about a half mile from any trail but so many deer ticks it would be unbearable to live there.
>>
>>1171177
You'll always be tying up loose ends.
If you can leave everything and go, just up and do it.
>>
>>1171588
There's a difference between tying up loose ends and missing court dates
>>
>>1170933
Nice dubs.
Its a Honda Acty Van. Mid 90s
>>
>>1171573
bugspray is a thing you know
>>
>>1171595
Thanks senpai, still interested if anyone knows if there's a site or something to buy these babies?
>>
>>1168133

Phoenix?
>>
Anyone done vanlife in NZ? I'm planning on moving there, setting up a van and doing /out/ trips on the weekends but I'm hearing that it's actually difficult to park. Also hearing about self-containment/non-self-contained rules for the first time.
Anyone got any tips?
>>
Happy to see you busanon
>>
How did vandweller anons pick their vans?

Anything you wish you knew going in that you had to learn the hard way?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>1165325
They don't make vans fucking awd anymore because muh fuel economy and emission standards now
>>
>>1173156
Fucking lame. I just wanted to ski bum but now I have to buy a van that needs a ton of work just to get to the mountains
>>
>>1173156

Also they have more complex transmissions to keep the car in an ideal geese ratio, adding cost and complexity. Cars are switching to shitty cvts as well.
>>
I'm probably gonna be homeless in the coming spring/summer, I'm not the anon who made the other thread, but do you have any tips? Like, invest in lots of warm clothing? Vice versa for in the summer? Where should I hang? I can shower and workout at the nearby community centers. Looking to get another job and I could get an apartment or roomie with others at that point easily, but 200~1000 dollars a month sounds like a real drain on me. Would I basically be paying the same in replacement parts if I were to get a van? What are particularly reliable ones?

Sorry to type up a novel, I'd just like to be prepared for whatever may come my way
>>
holy fuck this winter is brutal got minor frostbite on my big toe its so freaky I cant feel the tip of my toe shit had a tiny bit of black on it

wearing shoes with 3 pairs of wool socks was really retarded on my part I didn't notice what happened till 2 days later I got boots now oddly after getting frostbite I found a pair of kick ass lowas on the street that just needed the heel to be glued a tad these things are in perfect condition no idea why someone tossed them out these aint a cheap model either

point being hope your staying warm anons
>>
good luck guys. Im leavin my house when the winter breaks in order to save up what little money I get so i can afford a car. the next two months ill be buying everything I need and preparing. any tips on what I should get are welcome.
>>
Do anyone on this thread that lives in their van have guns or any weapons for self defence?
>>
>>1174031
Frost bite will get white and waxy before it gets black.
T. Canadian
>>
>>1174045
it is I just got a few black lines/dots on the tip rather tiny thankfully srsly I fuck winter this year I should have went to BC/NFLD
>>
>>1174054
Are you Canadian? How is living in this country and living in a an? I think the cold would seriously fucking suck and would resort to staying in a city or 2 the whole winter
>>
>>1174055
it hasn't been this cold and windy in quebec for a while normally I don't mind the cold but holy fuck its been at least -20 for the past two weeks

also I aint living in a van I wish I was fucking fancy rich bastards
>>
>>1174035
Id assume a lot of warm clothing. If you have a thrift store near you you could get some, and maybe some blankets too. Believe me, you'll need a lot, especially if it's cold where you live. I used to skip school back when I was in HS, and it got cold as fuck, even in my car, because I didn't want to use gas. If you absolutely have to, use gas, of course. It's better to be alive then save on a couple shekels, I assume. Good luck friend
>>
>>1173996
just get a job with staff accom, like in a hostel. better than sleeping on the street, always hiring and pays well.

if you get a van this late in winter you'd wanna hope it's already equipped or you have somewhere to fit it out in a couple of days so you dont freeze in the cold.

You could honestly do both. One of the many perks of working in a hostel is free access to tools, access to the maintenance workshop, a place to park your vehicle, a bit of free food/booze/drugs and good connections and you could live in the van. You'll also have showers and a kitchen to use at work. When I was supervisor at a hostel we let a guy use tools from our workshop to fit out his van.

I'm aussie, so cant recommend you many heating ideas, but work on insulating your vehicle then getting some sort of gas heater. Electric will eat up too much power and you wont have much sunlight to work with in the winter months.
>>
>>1174193
I actually had no idea what a hostel was before I googled it! I live in America, and apparently there's a whopping whole two ones in my entire state :(

Thanks for the information though, it's been noted!
>>
>>1173207
AWD is stupid.
You can still buy 4x4 vans brand new
Older AWD and 4x4 vans didn't just magically disappear
>>
been van living for 4 months and travelling for 2.5. heading to Tucson soon to stay for a month or so. im hoping find some work there as to not dwindle all my savings. any ideas
>>
>>1165325
have you tried not being unemployed? or do you like it when you bring a girl to your car only to have her laugh at you. or do you have a rape van?
>>
Would hate to be homeless on a night like.tonight, going below 0 f.

Of course being homeless as a woman doesn't exist because muh vagina
>>
>>1174910
>Of course being homeless as a woman doesn't exist because muh vagina
Does it hurt to be this stupid? It seems like it would be really painful.
>>
>>1167623
>Where do you poop? nice stores, gas stations otherwise ...anywhere really under cover of dark
>What if your house breaks down? AAA to a shop, buy a new engine, or pack my bike + go-bag and sell the truck for scrap
>Where do you shower? fresh rivers or hopefully someone invites me over and i ask for a shower. i have a couple tricks i want to try
>Isn't this illegal? quasi-illegal and i feel morally just doing it
>Don't people mess with you? not yet, oddly
>Do the "Van by the river" Chris Farley jokes get old? not yet, oddly
>How do you explain the huge gap in your resume? i was farming, fishing and travelling
>What if you get sick or hurt? wait it out, drive home, or dont go back to that state i got hurt in >>1167623
>>1167623
>Isn't it lonely? i make friends at skateparks or go with a girlfriend
>Do angry rednecks ever try to shoot you?
>Do you worry about break ins?
>Isn't it expensive and exhausting?
>What about mold, mildew, moisture?
>Doesn't it smell in there?
>Is it claustrophobic during extended bad weather?
>>
>>1174995
>>Do angry rednecks ever try to shoot you?
nope, im brown too
>>Do you worry about break ins?
yes, nothing is worth taking except my propane stove, this $50 netbook, my toolbag hidden in the cab and my bike which is u-locked inside the campershell. if they bust in my window, they probably wont then start angle grinding my u-lock to steal a dis-assembled kids bike
>>Isn't it expensive and exhausting?
it is quite the opposite. only really exhausting part is looking for lost stuff
>>What about mold, mildew, moisture?
yeah i wonder about that
>>Doesn't it smell in there?
not to me
>>Is it claustrophobic during extended bad weather?
super fucking cozy with another, cozy by myself
>>
>>1168594
i have a spigot key butt i cant find spigots anywhere. how long do i let them run in case the water hasnt been run in a while. is there a way to tell?
>>
>>1170790
i know a cave you can live in about 15miles east of alburquerque up a hiking path next to a fresh spring. its probably freezing there and where would you keep your car. i lived in that cave for five days with a crazy girl from NM
>>
>>1172254
>How did vandweller anons pick their vans?
i was using my truck for oddjobs and got really into scrapping metal. then opec happened, scrap prices and gas prices tanked so i swapped my highsides for a canopy, threw a bed in the back and started road tripping at $1.27/gal

ive also hopped in other peoples cars
>>
>>1174396
gasjug for fuel, use bike as transportation when you reach destinations
food pantries and dumpsterdive for food, learn how to cook
dont buy alcohol and drugs
buy things second hand, half price
>>
>>1175005
Always found them outside of businesses mainly. Was homeless innacity don't know about letting them run. I only did for a few seconds to not attract attention.
>>
>>1175021
gasjug, you mean asking?
i will bike
ddive i have yet to and im sure my partner has reservations about. cook all the time, we love it
struggling leaving alc. and only drug at fests.
always beeen a work horse. so looking for suggestions of that manner. to just counter the dwiindel of savings
>>
what dry foods do you keep in your vehicles? i buy what i need within my county of residence and keep it in my vehicle. and then drive off
i buy lots of stuff from winco
bulk mre's
bulk gronola, bulk trailmix,
potatos, onions, carrots, peppers and yams i keep in a cardboard box, they seem not to go bad
quinoa and lentils,
cans of soup i thickin with hempseed
canned vegetables, and other canned stuff, lots of canned salsa
parmesean cheese
wheat tortillas seem to be the most mold resistant
i suppliment my food with trips to the foodbank and aim for food that looks like it was going to get thrown out anyways.
the hardest part is making sure i keep my car in a cool place which is kinda okay in the winter but i have to be hypervigilant not to get fucked up and leave my car parked in the sun a whole day
>>
Fucking colds.
Nothing worse than getting a cold from some over-inflated fleshbag of walking mucus at the autoparts store and having to sweat it out with Whiskey while cooped up in your little box on your thin foam mattresses.
>>
how do I get those crusty hippy cooking oil converters to run my van?
>>
>>1168133

Whats a good dependable cheap bus you can retrofit and not stick out in?
>>
>>1175962
All buses stick out.
>>
>>1175968
Whats the largest vehicle then? Rv? Ups truck?
>>
>>1167459
>>1170451
what music do you guys play when you busk?
any tips?

been off and on considering living in my car traveling around and busking. used to busk a bit a while ago.
>>
>>1175971
Van probably.

Everyone knows what's going on when they see an RV or privately owned bus/ambulance.
At best, you can write the name of a church on your bus and at first glance most people won't notice someone is living out of it.
>>
So authentic fecal matter. I live in Texas and have access to Walmart, home depot, Lowe's and academy. What are my chances of stealing one of the 1000 dollar quiet generators? I know steak I is wrong and shit but where I am financially, i wont be able to actually buy one and the whole idea is "this won't really hurt a big corporation like it would a regular person" so in okay with it. Will I be tackled if I just walk out with it or something?

I've never stole anything before so I'm not sure what to expect. Help plox
>>
>>1175971
a UPS truck or tall van prob, for stealth. Put some fake plumbing company logo on the side and the phone number of someone you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5pi3sLRVZ0
>>
>>1175986
>steak I

I meant stealing. Mobile poster here
>>
>>1175986
Go in with a plan, act casual and don't stop.
>>
>>1175986
Lowes will literally help you load your stolen generator.
Just wheel it out the front door, cashiers are trained to say "can I help you ring that up?" Just ignore them. They aren't allowed to chase you. They will probably call the cops, so cover your plate before entering the lot. Then leave town, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1175920
were yoiu kissing the person from the autoparts store and confineed in a small area theyve been festering in for hours? you probably got sick from something else. like bacteria filled poo residue resting on a seldom used doorknob or something
>>
any idea how to get a girl from tinder to ditch her life and hop in my truck with me?

ive heard of dudes doing that irl (not tinder) but usually its some nasty looking rank bitch
>>
>>1176212
Show her cool nomadic vangirls on instagram.
She will get jelly because she's a woman.
>>
>>1175986
they're lojacked stupid. also fuck your quiet meme no one gives a shit that you live in your shitmobile. look at the dude in the bus. cant be more on blast than him he even has a generator. just buy a cheap one, they start at 100 bucks.
>>
>>1176349
How can they be lojacked? Does the battery for the GPS run on magic?

I hope you don't mean RFID.
>>
>>1176363
you right i'm retarded
still wouldnt steal one tho
>>
>>1175986
Check your local laws to see the maximum cash value you can steal before it becomes fellony theft.
Then steal one cheaper then that amount
>>
>>1176349
all this talk of generators, just get a solar panel. cheaper, lightweight, can get portable foldup ones and free power.

wont even need a big one unless you're running a fridge
>>
So I've been thinking of picking up and wandering, and this thread seems like the best place to ask.

What can I do for cash? What jobs and other things can be done on the road to keep gas in the tank?
>>
>>1176528
Either be a digital nomad or follow seasonal work around. A lot of long-term #vanlife types use Insta, Youtube and Patreon for a bit of money on the side.
If you have some sort of craft, art (visual or performance) or trade you could make shit to sell at markets probably.

Thing is assuming you own your vehicle outright, you're not paying for rent or utilities so you don't need to work as much as you would think. Your only expenditures are basically gas, food and maybe insurance (if you have any compulsory insurance or fees for the vehicle in your country/state).

I remember Jimbo (Gary the Goat dude) saying he runs his truck off of old cooking oil he gets for free from pubs/restaurants and he grows his own veges and bean sprouts in the back of his truck. He even admits at one point before he got really famous that he only lived off of about $4-5k a year and makes his money from donations & comedy gigs in remote pubs.
>>
>>1176528
>>1175959
Couldn't find the one on his finances or vege growing setup (they're easily 5+ years old now) but according to him any diesel truck older than 1995 runs off of oil without any sort of conversion. I don't know shit about cars personally so couldn't tell ya.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpgo7xDHUrs
>>
>>1176528
>What can I do for cash? What jobs and other things can be done on the road to keep gas in the tank?
farm harvest followed by fishing season, potential to make like 30k in 4months but i suck at office politics and made like 5k this year and last year... im a cheapass and made it last the whole year, lol

i want to be a 'digital nomad'
i have an engineering degree, i should be able to make that work, ya?
>>
>>1176587
A degree don't mean shit. What can you DO? PCB layout, Solidworks? You need a specialty.

t. Eng that hires contractor scum.
>>
>>1176587

Are these jobs easy to get? Just show up in the areas in season and you can expect to be hired?

Going to be homeless soon and want to take the oppertunity to backpack around America for a while. Not talented enough to busk yet and I really don't want to have to bum.
>>
>>1176592
>A degree don't mean shit. What can you DO?
i can push paper work around
ive had 5 brief construction internships/jobs

>>1176601
>Are these jobs easy to get?
i had to know a lot of hippies and rednecks to get these opportunities
>>
>>1175986
Same guy as post in replying to. Would it be easier to buy/take a solar panel and power storage device (battery?) large enough to run shit like a laptop, hot plate and mini fridge with a couple small lights?
The idea of living on a smaller bus does sound cool and all.
>>
>>1176610

>i had to know a lot of hippies and rednecks to get these opportunities

Thanks, I'm planning to start my journey with the rainbow so hopefully I can get some connections.
>>
>>1175986

The anon who suggested looking at laws is right. 1000 will be a fellany in many locations.

And thats what its all about, location, location, location. Some places will fucking stop you even if its not legal. I watched a friend get ambushed by 3 black guys for stealing magic cards from the wrong walmart. That said if they were to stop you, and for some reason hurt yourself, you would be entitled to sue and probably afford your generator. Just go to an area that isn't constantly being stolen from.

Also don't fuck with target.

>>1176611

If you axe the mini fridge then 100%. You would need a pretty big pannel for a fridge though.
>>
>>1176587
Farm harvest seems easy enough. Stop by a farm, offer a hand, pick crops, get paid right?

But what's this about fishing season? You mean fishing invasive species bounties?
>>
Hey folks, I'm about to give this homeless gig a try in a couple weeks. There's a nature reserve near the city and its only a 5 minute bike ride from my work which has a shower and a locker to keep my clothes.
I found a spot that is off the walking track next to a clearing. It's out of sight but only just. I really want to do it and maybe even move some furniture in there but I'm concerned about being bothered by people. I dunno, maybe people who live nearby wouldn't take kindly to it?

>tl;dr Has anyone tried camping in a nature reserve? Do people mess with you much?
>>
>>1176509
Are you retarded? Solar is shit.
>>
>>1176611
>laptop
if you're so broke you're considering stealing stuff then a laptop's probably the last of your worries, mate.
Look up some on google, should only need 30watts to charge a laptop.
>hot plate
nigga use a propane camping stove
>fridge
if you're that poor then use an Esky with bags of ice or learn to cook/eat food that doesn't require being refrigerated
>lights
you can get ones that charge from solar in the day, or battery operated ones. LED-based ones are really energy efficient.

Work like a week or two in a normal job and buy shit you need, you dont need to buy it all at once.

>>1176630
>is going to be homeless
>worrying about furniture
>>
>>1176542
>>1176539
The year is not that important but sometime around 1997 is where cars started to get overly complicated.

As a general rule, all older diesel engines can run on cooking oil, Kerosene, aviation fuel, motor oil, white spirit, and a lot of other oils.
IDI -Indirect Injection engines are best for running garbage oil. DI is ok depending on the design and CDI or CRD -Common Rail you can fucking forget it

Used/Waste oils need to be filtered to remove water content and other garbage that's floating around.
Since oil rises above water all you need is to run the oil trough a filter, then let it settle in a tank and just skim the clean oil off the top.
You can run it straight, but mixed with 10% pump diesel or petrol or a small amount of white spirit or other solvent keeps your pump, rings, and injectors from getting gummed up.
Throwing in some two stoke oil masks the chip shop smell and lubricates your pump too.
Two stroke oil is a good additive for modern diesels on pump diesel too.

Lots of info on the internet if you want to know more.

I run my pickup on a mix of used fryer oil and white spirit.
>>
>>1167414
How do you get so much free weed? I hope the cops don't pull you over with that much, especially since you move interstate.
>>
>>1167709
4G
>>
>>1176804
4G is expensive unless you're in Russia or something like that.
>>
>>1176791

90s vehicles were the best. Advanced enough to be reliable without the dodgy electronic items of the 80s, simple enough for you to be able to repair yourself without proprietary software.

Do you run a preheat system on your fryer oil to lower the viscosity any?
>>
>>1176811
I pay 80 a month for unlimited 4g calls and texts
>>
>>1170790
Tucson az, everyone's heading out here for the gem show
>>
>>1174396
Go ask around at the gem show once it starts. Or go apply at afni, it's the Verizon call center, they hire everyone if you have no felonies and pay $11.25 an hour full time. If you cant pass the drug test buy synthetic urine I got some at headhunters smoke shop that worked
>>
>>1176895
And I've lived in Tucson for years now and grew up here and was a hobo at one point, If you guys have questions lmk since I know all the travellers are starting to come this month
>>
>>1176898
What part of town you in? How's living year round in Tucson? Is there anything there besides the gem show and prison? What happened to all those bum boxes they had downtown a few years ago, who's awful idea was that anyway? I'm talking about those little coffins on wheels around congress, it was hilarious

>walking to downtown Tucson, three years or so ago
>tents on the sidewalk on Congress
>bums and addicts everywhere
>weird ~4x7 boxes on wheels everywhere, painted cute like, maybe 3-4 foot tall with clouds n forests n shit
>Bum boxes with addicts and bums hanging out, boxes circled like wagons
>everyone acts like this is normal
>come back next year
>no bum boxes, no tents downtown nobody knows what I'm talking about
>come back this year
>even less bums/addicts

Nice town you got there famalam
>>
>>1176855
Lots of reasons to pick a 90's vehicle over an 80's like fuel economy and stoppan power.
5 speed, turbo, disc brakes, abs, and power steering are all game-changers in my opinion.

My pickup has a factory heat exchanger built into the fuel filter, so I add 2stroke oil. Veg oil loses it's lubricating properties when its hot and runny.

I also add a small amount of white spirit just to make it a little bit less viscous.
A little goes a long way. But too much won't hurt either.
I've used straight white spirit as an injector cleaner before. Works wonders.

I've used straight fryer oil too for a while.

I also have silicon heat bands on the injectors to help pre heat the injectors on cold starts but they're not a requirement.
>>
>>1172238
bumping this question
>>
>>1175983
>what music do you guys play when you busk?
>any tips?
learn what songs are popu,ar on the radio and play them
>>
>>1176698
ohhh, if this guy is broke then he needs to figure how to not be broke before spending a grand on electricity

i dont have electricity, i am fine. not as well off as probably most people here ... actu
>>
>>1175983
>>1177226
This plus some classics. Make sure you look into state/local laws for busking where you go. Some towns or cities it can be illegal or you'll need a permit.
>>
>>1171496
>>1170790
I live in Tucson and have family in Albuquerque that i visit annually so I can corroborate some of this. I dont know if i would call Cruces nice its shittier than ABQ. But its warmer and cheaper. Burque is higher in elevation than Denver it gets pretty chilly there. Granted Flagstaff is way colder than ABQ but if he's vanning there he's no stranger to cold. White sands is great, they've got free primitive campgrounds cause most people arent trying to camp in whats basically the Sahara desert.
I am going to caveat this next chunk with I have never been homeless and have little interest in that lifestyle so maybe my opinion is skewed in a different direction than most people here but IMHO the space between ABQ but more specifically Cruces and Tucson is a desolate shit land. Elephant Butte isn't terrible but I wouldn't stay anywhere else in that region if you paid me. Truth or Consequences, Hatch, Demming, Lordsberg are the only towns worth mentioning and they are shit. Like I try not to even gas up there on my way through. All the country west of Demming is totally fucked nothing but scrublands and fucked up agriculture that has led to outrageous dust storms through that whole area. Not 6 months ago I was stuck for 2 hours on the side of the 10 because the dust was so thick you literally could not see the car in front of you. If you are gonna head west stick to the middle of the state. Head through Gallup or go west after Socorro. Springerville pinetop and Holbrook aren't much better than the towns down south but the country is a hell of a lot nicer. The New Mexico playa gives way to mountains and forests and it's great camping country. This dude says he likes Quartzsite though and that's another shit hole so different strokes for different folks I guess.
>>
>>1170790
>>1177414
Tucson is probably a good bet. It sits in a valley surrounded by state/national parks so camping is stupid easy and it's easy to get a change of scenery. Scrub desert to alpine forests in a 30 minute drive. Be prepared for pretty significsnt temp swings. We were hitting lows of 30 with highs of 80 mid December. Fucking deserts. Gem show comes through in February and it would be cake to get a temp job for 2-3 weeks helping out vendors. And to be totally frank they are used to hiring illegals around here so getting side work is easy year round. Full disclosure they find bodies in the desert southwest of town all the fucking time. We are 60 miles north of the border and a whole bunch of cartel drugs get muled through the space west of Nogales and south of the 8
>>
>>1176611
You'd need around minimum 500w of solar, 200ah of deep cycle battery, a 2000w peak inverter, a charge controller, battery isolator, cables, terminals, mounting points, outlets, and the fridge itself.
You're looking at slightly over $1000 for the whole kit, assuming you have the tools required.

The main costs are;
Panels - $500
Battery - $200
Fridge - $100
>>
>>1176687
Agreed. Solar has efficiency rate of 20% or something like that and decreases if the sun isn't out. You can only power LED strip lights or charge your phone and that's it. Source: wikipedia
>>
>>1169581
Listen to this anon
>>
>>1177414
Albuquerque is nicer than Las Cruces but I didn't say anything to the contrary. He said he's bored and he's homeless, I don't care how 'nice' flagstaff is, it's not worth being at 7200 elevation as a bum. Also you're forgetting he's in a van, probably not a brand new sprinter or anything, so he probably actually needs to refuel gas more than you think and also doesn't want to stress is on mountains - he's living in it and if he's asking for advice because he's pretty green, there's practically zero chance he's going to be able to sustain himself for more than a day or two on BLM land. Granted we need more information and he hasn't posted, like if he has a heater, cooking method, cold storage etc, but I highly doubt he's going to want to go as desolate area as you suggest. Going to Las Cruces (or even cutting it out) and then taking that highway to Tucson is the safest and most obvious choice.

The 'west after soccoro' alternative you've suggested could put him in prime fuck your shit up teritory, even moreso than if you'd suggested flagstaff. At least if shit went wrong that way there'd be a ton of people passing through who might be able to lend a hand. You're replying under the assumption his vehicle is in prime conditon, he had stacked money in the bank or cash in hand and that he has his 'van' converted beyond a mattress in the back. This is 'homeless/shitpost general' not 'Boomer Snow Birds and Tiny House Hipster General'. That isn't to say eastern mid Arizona isn't amazing, just that I don't think an anon posting in shitpost general has the luxury to go that direction without knowing the landscape well.
>>
>>1177418
The only work you're going to find at the gem show without knowing even the most basic of stones or being anything but a somewhat attractive charismatic individual is unloading trucks, except all the shows go up at similar times across town so you'll have a few days unloading here and there. As it was told to me by a few years ago, it's a 'gem show' not a 'rock show'. The vendors mostly need cute women and charismatic guys who speak English well to run their booth for 7 an hour.

Which leads me to why I suggested Quartzsite. Quartzite is the world's largest swap meet with a few rock/mineral/gem shows, a pow wow, a sports and recreation show for millionaires to buy million dollar rigs, plus a few other things. It might be a shithole but there's thousands of other travelers from exceedingly wealthy to exceedingly poor. There's always something new to learn around here. Coming here before the gem show in Tucson can give you connections for a job there or even the knowledge about the rocks so that you can actually identify them and speak about them with confidence and land a gig in Tucson.

There's a bunch of other shit i could pick apart but this is running long, at least you tried etc, just understand how much of a gringo you sound like. Different strokes for different folks, sure.
>>
>>1177642
I had not considered the possibility that his van is such a POS that it couldn't make the downhill trip from ABQ to Tucson through eastern AZ. The only mountainous passage that is necessary on that route is the salt river valley which granted would be nasty in a beater. If his van is in that condition he shouldn't be thinking about going anywhere he should stay where he is and put time and energy into maintaining the only thing of value that he possesses. I think that it's reasonable to assume someone asking where to travel has the things necessary for travel to tide them over until their destination but maybe I gave him too much credit. All this aside I would unironically rather break down along the route I suggested than on the route along the 10. People travel my suggested route constantly. There are a half dozen small towns in that area and the Arizona camping scene is strong year round. If he had to wait more than an hour to see anyone I would eat my shoe. Look up the theft autotheft assault crime rates for the demming Lordsberg route. It is appaling. I would rather spend a chilly evening on a mountain road than get stabbed by a meth head any day of the week.

>>1177645
A bunch of this is only true of the convention center scene. The freeway adjacent popups start a month before the official show. Building setups start weeks out. Most of these places have to pack in and out nightly since they don't have the luxury of being in the TCC. You can find a hundred vendors between Grant/Oracle and I10/Congress that are all outdoors all the time. I go every year and know from experience that these ones are dominated by swarthy middleeasterners exploiting cheap local labor while screaming at customers in broken English. But who's to say he doesn't speak English well enough to get a convention side job. Regardless with setup and breakdown it's a solid month and a half of work if you explore all your options.
>>
>>1177679
The Convention Center isn't what I was talking about at all, not even the holidome. Nobody is going to get a 'gig' at those places. I've never seen anyone besides ragtag comeup from the groundup picking their shit up every night, except on the weekends at empty lots around downtown. I'm not even sure those people make enough money to pay you 70 dollars a day. My experience with the Tucson gem show has primarily been with the hotel/motel shows and the parking lot shows setup out of people's campers and under an easyup etc, but I've also been around people who've gotten consistent work over the years. They were all couples, the female got a job working during the day selling shit and the guy would get hired on later to pick shit up and load it back up. Besides the end of the show and the beginning there's very little 'easy' about finding a gig, let alone a month long one. The people setting up tents and carpet are all separate crews that work for companies. Literally the only work you're going to find if you can't make cabochons, can't grade stones etc is going to be quick bitchwork that won't last more than a few days. That is, unloading someone's rocks to their tables and when the show is over loading their rocks into their truck.

I think you're grossly overestimating the work available to the average person during the gem show. There is very little 'labor' to be preformed beyond the setup and takedown. Everything between is a retail clerk position which is mostly covered by the people who own the shop.
>>
>>1165335
How would one get internet access this way? It seems quite difficult to imagine that you're going around stealing wifi.
>>
>>1173156
Mercedies Benz just released a line of sprinter 4x4 vans recently, if you can afford 53k...
>>
File: rsz_1002161852.jpg (359 KB, 1328x747)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>1170864
I walked out of my hometown with my dog and a backpack. Do it faggot.
>>1171212
I like Santa Fe. Was at the walmart getting drunk and stoned in a pickup when cops surround us thinking we had hired a prostitute who works the lot. We didn't, they left us to our drink and drugs and we watched them take her down hours later. Broke a string 6 times in a row busking there too. Good times.
>>1172239
Ayy you too anon.
>>1172254
I picked this bus because it was $500. As for learning the hard way, this is the easy life. It's easy. Ridiculously easy. I had no idea what I was doing when I started, pack weighed 150 pounds, i'd never even talked to a traveler outside of KCMO basement punk shows when i was young enough that i didnt even realize what the fuck they were talking about and too much of a faggot to say i didn't get it. If i had listened better then, i would have left sooner. That's the only thing i'd change about it.
>>1173996
Get something in the e350 range. Parts and gas do not even come close to rent and bills. If you get a job and all that income is going straight in your pocket you will be rolling in it. Go from there.
>>1174031
Fucking hot hands dude jesus don't freeze your shit off. I just got some fresh boots too, fuckyea
>>1174035
Most important thing is staying warm and being able to sleep comfortably. Figure that out and go from there.
>>1174044
I have two rifles, bunch of knives, machete, camp axe, brass knuckles, leather cestus and some padlocks floating around. That's not counting the prybar and mini bolt cutters as weapons.
>>1174396
Quartzite
>>1174910
You can find all sorts of groups of travelers to go around with. muh vagina is no excuse.
>>1175011
Story pls
>>1175962
Any of them. School bus is best bus.
>>1175983
It doesn't matter what you play, just play constantly. When I started guitar I knew 3 chords and i found out later i was playing them wrong. Still made 50+ a night, easy 100 for all day.
>>
>>1177679
>people asking where to travel probably have the money to get there
Again, we're here in /shitpostgeneral/ on /out/, not /trustfundtravelers/ on /trv/. A large portion of this thread is about stretching dollars and bum tactics. If the guy was living in Albuquerque for a month in his van and didn't start out by already living there it's safe to say he's a certain type of homeless; a type that either relies on a city or resources nearby for a multitude of reasons, be it to panhandle, to be overlooked in the sea of homeless because you're poor and technically car camping, to work and save, to get into public resources, health care, drugs and alcohol, the list goes on. I myself found Albuquerque rather hospitable and had several good parking spots by the time I left but I only stayed there a little over a week. I digress, the anon really posted nothing else so it's silly to try and guess his capability before he comes back and explains a bit more. If he's set-up my advice might as well be useless and I'd suggest going into the mountains.

I've broken down or gotten stuck a few times along the 10, but always between Quartzite and Tucson. The first time my alternator belt broke and the battery slowly died, pulled off the highway to a side road for the night. Next day had to walk 7 miles to a truck stop and pay someone to drive me 25 miles to an auto parts store and then 32 miles back. Shit happens, having a truck stop to walk to was nice because all the locals within walking distance of the van acted like we were terrorists for using the water spigot on the outside of the local church without asking and didn't know nothin bout no ride to town.
>>
File: IMAG2220.jpg (1.35 MB, 2688x1520)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
>>1175986
Come on man generators are cheap. What the fuck you need a $1000 generator for?
>>1176509
Gas generator cheaper and more bang. I would need a ridiculous solar setup that would outcost my $400 generac by a ton. Running lights, ac/heat, pc, 900watt speakers, recording shit, amps etc.
>>1176528
Panhandle, gas jug, busk on the bum side of things. Combine all 3 for best results. On a slightly more respectable scale you could rockhound and sell your finds, make jewelry for cents and sell it on the street, any number of other crafts/art, leatherwork, wire wrapping, tie dye etc. you could sell water, popsicles, sandwiches, beers, candybars anyfuckingthing if you just come at it right. There are opportunities for legit work, festivals, harvests, weed, farms all sorts of shit when you're traveling. Money is easy.
>>1176616
Be sure to do all the drugs
>>1176630
Small camp that's easy to break down and move. Staying in one spot illegally you WILL run into trouble only a matter of time.
>>1176802
People just give it to me. Having this much isn't common, i was given 4 ounces at once. When I'm traveling hard I don't have much most of the time, just a few grams. Right now I'm posted up working on the bus near Kansas City so I just brought this shit from Oklahoma. I've given away 2 ounces since I posted that.
>>1177387
Don't worry about permits or laws. No one really cares as long as you're in and out. Staying around the same area though you'll have to deal with that crap. Always easier to travel.
>>1177693
This is what I hear from a lot of people
>>1177721
I use my phone's internet. Unlimited on the phone, 15gigs of hot spot which is actually enough to game pretty regularly.
I have cracked and stolen wifi 4 times ever.
>>
>>1177728
>pack weighed 150 pounds
holy fug anon, how far did you lug it? also can you tell me anything about like, what happens if you are a missing person? you can just call police and provide ID and say you're not missing? what sort of ID and stuff do you need to buy a vehicle from a private seller? can you just do all that with cash?
>>
>>1177813
You need both your parents permission to even ask most of those questions.
>>
>>1177836
i'm 18
>>
>>1177861
You're not legally a responsible adult until you're 21.
>>
File: IMAG2356.jpg (1.17 MB, 2688x1520)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>1177813
From Kansas City to lake Michigan on the Wisconsin side. Then i threw a bunch of shit away.
This last year I met a 17 year old runaway, due to the missing persons thing he was caught and taken home to his mother twice, once from 2 states away. You're 18 now though so you're good.
>>
This thread is max comfy
>>
>>1174396
Swamp cooling is still big in that part of the country. Pad yards have started stocking up for the season. 90% of the pad makers are illegals or migrants or choose your preferred politically correct term. They get paid per pad and you'll never get a job making if you can't keep up with them but they need yard runners. People who haul the fresh pads out to dry then collect and bundle them. Can make a decent number of bucks and most of those guys have a handle on other work in the area. My grandpa ran the shop at one of these places and I used to do this from 10-16. It helps if you speak Spanish but it's not necessary.
>>
File: 1510524157337.jpg (65 KB, 736x593)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1178129
needs more pics of vans though
>>
File: 1514539494019 (1).jpg (99 KB, 682x1024)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>1178150
sorry, thought the last one was a van from the thumbnail but it looks comfy anyway
>>
File: 1514539419384.jpg (56 KB, 700x468)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1178151
>>
File: 1514539356715.jpg (58 KB, 500x375)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>1178153
>>
>>1178154
>>
File: Native2_26.jpg (2.36 MB, 4896x3264)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
>>1178160
>>
>>1178162
>>
I'm guessing the last three tumblrbait vanlife memes posted above do not have have a dog.

Every piece of uncovered fabric will be full of doghair by the first week. Within three days dog hair becomes a staple of every meal.
>>
>>1177884
only in your state
>>
File: RosetheHat.jpg (422 KB, 495x700)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
Travelling like 'True Knot' nomads from King's 'Dr. Sleep' is literally my dream.
I don't have money and camper tho.
>>
>>1178233
Is that a parallel universe with a Ford and FIAT merger?
>>
>>1178150
>edgy teenage fuckpad
>>1178151
>look i made a dorm room in my van
>>1178153
>check out my pillows no you cant use them
>>1178154
bed in the back of a minivan or something? nothing wrong with this one
>>1178160
>check out my westie i never drive it though no you cant make an offer and no you cant hang out in there
>>1178164
looks good for one guy
>>1178164
ask me how i know this never moves
>>
>>1177745
Using aircrack-ng or reaver to crack the wifi?
I am curious since no huge data plans here sadly ;_;
>>
>>1178493
cool blog, upvoted
>>
>>1165382
Did you let him in?
>>
File: IMAG0589.jpg (903 KB, 2688x1520)
903 KB
903 KB JPG
>>1178615
It was a program the dude across the street from me wrote himself back when i was 16. He was an uglier version of JP from Grandmas Boy. All i did with it was hop on a couple neighbors wifi when mine was out. Don't know anything about cracking current shit.
If you are homeless you can take wifi from tons of businesses. If you're in the states there's a fuckload of cheap unlimited plans for surfing, they're too slow to do anything else though.
>>1178734
Door wasnt latched, couldve come right in if he wanted. He and the dog sniffed back and forth for about 5 mins then he just turned and left. 10/10 would bear again
>>
>>1175829
does anyone else do this with food? i ave a small cooler bag and when possible i have a frozen gallon water bottle in there. goood for up to a week if it is cool out, you keep it insulated and away from bodyheat and engine heat. kinda a bitch really. i can stuff ice from gas stations into a widemouth waterbottle to keep leftovers cool for 16hours
>>
>>1177642
as long as he doesnt do meth and isnt retarted, he'll be fine
>>
Out of curiosity how do you anons with the nicer vans with electronics handle power supply and internet connections and such?
>>
i brokie down in a girls $700 van in NM. in front of the skatepark actually, i rode it for 2 days while she taught herself how to change the spark plugs :D, great time
>>
>>1177728
>Story pls
I went to burningman and afterwards hitchhiked to alberquerque to meet a girl i had spent a day with and then spent the next month walking around a crazy hot desert city full of crazy people on drugs playing arouend whereever i went with this girl, myself on drugs as well. lol,it was weird. the highlight was the shit got too crazy so we decided we would hitchhike out to whereever with food and water, and our ride clued us into a cave we could stay in, so we sat in the cave and talked for almost a week. i hiked in 6gallons of water and there was a spring there :p
get this, we stayed at her retarted sisters house, which was just ...abusrb. one of her husbands jobs was cleaning the cats butthole. and then the time when the cop showed up and she started making fun of him for being bald, ahhhaha, goodtimes
>>
So the crazy bastards finally pulled it off, after 5 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW73Y-Ern7E
Thoughts?
>>
>>1177887
where's that busbro with the dog? he was cool!
>>
>>1178986
Fucking, I'm glad. I've been watching for a while now and I was starting to think he wasn't going to make it when he ran into that whole impossible to replace transmission problem.
>>
>>1165335
would it be hard to do this within city limits? I've thought about moving my stuff to a storage unit and sleeping in my car for a few months.

Need to save up to about 4,000 so I can be a tattoo artist. So roughly 6-7 months?

my biggest concern is that i work nights and sleep during the day.
>>
>>1179414
After he got his visa to the US (he was banned for almost a year) they had a random guy fly a new transmission from LA to vancouver for them, but they heard that their Van had a fire while they were away.

They had to replace basically everything inside the van, re-did the entire engine, transmission, the works. Just as they head off again they're breaking down in the Yukon like every 10min. Wait 20min, drive 10min, break down.

A random couple that pulled up on the highway drove 2 days return trip to get a device to look inside their fuel tank. A piece of tape was floating around blocking the fuel pump. lol.

Fucking Kombis man. If anything I've learned from watching that series is never get a VW.
>>
>>1179430
Watch some vids on Youtube. Largely depends on your vehicle too.
Sleeping in the day might be hard because of noise, maybe make sure you have ear plugs. The same locations as night camping should work, remote corner of Walmart parking lot, or if you have friends in town ask if you can camp in their driveway 1 night a week, do a rotation.

Just don't do suburban streets because people get suspicious about strange vehicles in their neighborhood. Industrial areas are good for night camping but would be no good in the day.
>>
>>1179445
well what about like heat and shit?
I live in North Carolina if it helps. I don't want to end up like those kids who get left in the car or some shit. (I like to dream a bit)
>>
>>1179439
>never get a VW
THIS. I had a westy. The head gasket went 10 days after I got it. The transmission went at Christmastime. The starter went and left me stranded on the 395 in the middle of the night on the way back from burning man. And paying to replace all that shit? Engine fire. I owned it a grand total of 14 months.
There are only two kinds of VW's. Those that have caught fire and those that are waiting to catch fire.
>>
>>1179439
That sounds a lot like the old marble/pong-pong ball in the gas tank story.

Highly unlikely story in this case either way.
Gasoline would have dissolved that tape pretty quickly.

And the fact that in a fuel tank, the pickup line is located at the side of the tank as low as possible and also has a mesh screen on the end meaning you'd have to be running almost completely on empty for something like that to affect you.

Plus, the gas tank for the VW T2 is fully boxed in behind the engine, and requires the engine to be removed, or an access panel to be cut from the interior of the van which is dangerous for obvious reasons.
>>
>>1179526
They catch fire for a reason and they break down for the same reason too.

Poor maintenance and neglect on account of bad owners.

Inspect your fuel lines regularly and they won't leak on the exhaust and catch fire.
Change/top-up your gear oil too once in a while maybe your transmission won't commit suicide prematurely.
>>
>>1179561
Yes, me letting the oil get low is why the headgasket went 10 days after purchase.
niggah, what?
>>
>>1179449
Cuz you've got a car, I'd say get some of those reflective sheets to put over your windows. Keep some of the heat out (or heat inside in winter). Park somewhere cool in the shade, get a USB fan for when it's hot and make sure there's airflow. Pic related are surprisingly cheap and effective too.
If you can park/camp out of town in a remote area then you could use a tarp. It'd look suspicious as fuck in a town though.

toilet/shower > use the gym or do it at work
Same with food. Maybe invest $20 in a camping stove for food/coffee. Can heat up water to pour into hot water bottles for sleeping when it's cold too.

Internet cafes are a good option too, I dont know about where you live but where I'm at you can pay $10 to use one all day and they dont care if you sleep there. They have showers, a kitchen with microwaves and the works.

The hardest part will be learning where you can park/sleep/camp in your town/city and knowing how much you can get away with. Maybe see if there's like a vanlife forum or FB group for your area and get some more advice there. For starters if you have 2 walmarts then you can just go back and forth between those while you get shit sorted.
>>
>>1179561
Kombilife's VW caught fire because of the batteries freezing/warping while it was parked half-covered in snow in Alaska while they were out of the country waiting on a visa to be shorted, they suspect.
In the video of them going through the burned remains it seems like the fire started from there and is where there was the most damage.

That sort of shit scares me off of putting any sort of electrical set-up in the back of my van.

>>1179557
seems the tape somehow got into their tank when they were fixing everything else up in the vehicle in the last town they were at. https://youtu.be/pxx2wUFGAxc?t=1102
They're lucky bastards, especially to have strangers drive 2 days out of their way to help you fix it.
>>
>>1179674
>2 days
meant 100 miles, but they didn't come back until the next day so close enough.
>>
>>1179674

Use AGMs instead of marine gel or flooded cells. Nothing to freeze.
>>
>>1165962
backstory?? are you yourself homeless? what led you three to this point?
>>
>>1179666
Sorry forgot pic
>>
>>1179585
That's my favorite part of your story.

Head gaskets exist to keep water out of the combustion chamber, and generally blow because of the cylinder head overheating.

So on a water cooled engine it normally points to a problem with the cooling system.
Like a stuck thermostat, blocked radiator, air bubble in the system, dead/dying pump or a leak somewhere.

Or could just be the system is functional but can't cope with the demands of an environment that's too warm or the engine is pushed too hard.
Same applies to the gearbox. If it's pushed too hard it will overheat.

But none of that applies in your case because guess what - air cooled engines don't have head gaskets since they don't run water.
>>
>>1179585
Wrong. my 1990 westy had a waterbox bucko.
>>
>>1179793
>>1179790
Whoops, that's for you.
>>
>>1179718
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind but where I live winter doesn't get cold enough for anything to freeze. More-so just worried about something like a short circuit a spark or a battery leaking/exploding starting a fire instead.
t. know nothing about electrical systems in vehicles.
>>
>>1179793
The T4 from the 90's was front engined and water cooled like a normal car and was no longer prone to catching fire.

The older ones caught fire because fuel lines would degrade to the point of leaking, and then start to drip on the exhaust.
This problem was specific to the rear engined VW.

Did you ever find out why the gasket on your van blew or how the fire started?

Catastrophic failures of the head gasket is almost always due to overheating.
>>
i have an old 4cyl MT pickup truck, almost 500lb in the back most of the timee
if i cruise at 50/55mph in 4th gear, will i get better gas mileage than cruising 60/65 in OD?
im hwy miles, just keeping it in 4th going slow unless there is a tailwind or descent, then ill throw it in OD and cruise at 60/70mph, what do yall think?
>>
>>1180713
1250 - 2000rpm on the highest gear is the sweet spot for fuel economy in almost every vehicle.

On my single cab 4cyl 4speed manual pickup that translates to roughly 70kmh or 35mph.
>>
>>1180718
>1250 - 2000rpm on the highest gear is the sweet spot for fuel economy in almost every vehicle.

i dont have a tachometer, but after 10 years i can feel when my engine is lugging in too high a gear or spinning out at too low of a gear
>>
File: 81OS2fsEGSL._SL1500_.jpg (911 KB, 2968x1003)
911 KB
911 KB JPG
>>1177721
we use our phones as a wireless hotspot. works good for netflix.
this is what we use for our battery/power set up to charge electronics and run the led's in our bus.
>>
>>1180543
Like I said, the head gasket went a 10 days after I purchased the used westy...I strongly suspect the former owner of letting routine maintenance tasks go unperformed.
As for the fire, the fire department said that it looked like one of the fuel lines leaked. I ended up selling it after the fire.
>>
>>1180543
btw....the radiator was in the front on this westy but the engine was still in the rear.
>>
>>1179666
Ok I'll look into some reflective sheets, probably have to start looking for areas. Doing this at night would be no problem, but I work nights and sleep during the day and I'm afraid I can't change that at this time.

Guess I'll have to start scouting for a few remote areas that have shade.

My job has showers and I also have a Planet Fitness and a couple of Starbucks I frequent already anyway.

Food is a good concern I haven't thought about, the entire point of doing this is saving money so I'd rather not eat out. I was thinking of maybe buying a mini fridge and with my rice cooker/slowcooker make a few meals I can put in some rubbermaid plastic containers. Probably doing this out of an A/C controlled storage unit.
Truth be told I'm not entirely opposed to just sleeping in one of those either assuming I could pull it off during the day.
>>
>>1165962
Assuming they aren't disabled or too old I'd say a Church is a good place to go. Alot of them offer programs to help people like them back on their feet with cleaning supplies and job interviews.

Won't be anything good or fancy likely a McJob but between the two of them they could pull themselves back together. Might help them out of that suicide pact shit too.
>>
>>1180850
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOdWdfe-xJs

Man that's kind of worrying though, I really don't want to fry in my car. It's fine now but it will get hot here in the summer.

Maybe I would be better off sleeping in a Climate Controlled storage unit, and cooking my meals at work?
>>
>>1180850
camping stove, theyre like $20
cooler with ice for beer, should last most of a week assuming you dont open it too much. cook/eat using dry stuff that doesnt need refrigerating. a solar/battery set up for a fridge will set you back at least $1k.
>>
>>1180889
shady quiet area, usb or solar fans, crack a window, the reflecting things. get to work early and shower there. these are great too>>1179742

t. ausfag. used to sleep in my car after parties all the time in my uni days
>>
>>1177725
sheeeit, why not just put a down-payment on a house, kek
>>
>>1167623
>Isn't it lonely?
>>1167630
>Aren't you?
Fuck you cunts I didn't need to feel these feels
>>
>>1181147
A house doesn't move.
>>
File: 1515887502440 - Copy.jpg (198 KB, 494x1357)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>
What nutrition is there in discarded fag ends lads?
>>
Anyone have a good source for living in a boat?
>>
>>1181524
maybe try the boat thread. a lot of the best shit to put in a van is shit salvaged from boats or gotten from marine supply stores.
>>
>>1181298
Nicotine.
>>
Why not just buy an RV?
>>
>>1181978
If you live on a boat you can harvest what you need from the sea or from sheeple who are relatively unfleeced compared to their landlubbing brethren
>>
>>1181978
they're big, dumb, and ugly
>>
>>1170790
Throw a pizza on breaking bad Walters house. I've heard the people living there loves it
>>
>>1182063
Nobody lives there now.
An 3000 member strong investment group from r/roofpizza bought it last year.
>>
File: 1512709899374.jpg (30 KB, 720x438)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1166035
cheers for the laugh
>>
so lately my balls have been getting sweaty within like 3-5 days instead of like 6-10 days

iv been wearing jeans over pajamas over boxers and every morning i wake up with reallllly sweaty balls

i wore the same shit in the same weather last year and it didnt happen ...with a onsie over it all as well

my theory is because i have been washing my balls with soap lately whicch removes the natural oils and skin bacteria, so when new shit grows it grows back stinky and sweatry as fuck
or
do you think becuase ive been shaving further and further down my balls that i have virtually no more asshair any longer and that was getting a fluffled ventilated space down there?
>>
>>1176791
I forgot an important detail.
Even though almost all engines will run on vegetable oil, not all injections pumps can handle it. Especially the CAV/ Lucas / Rotodiesel ones.
Bosch pumps and similar designs like those found on almost all Japanese vehicles, older Mercedes and Cummins engines, and others are the best.
Sometimes you'll get a car that was made with both types of pump. Like 80's and 90's Peugeot.

The Lucas CAV pumps will self destruct and may throw a timing chain because they cannot handle the viscosity of vegetable oil.
You will have to install a filter pre-heater and a dual tank system if you want to use an engine with a Lucas.
>>
Okay that ok
>>
>>1181978
different vehicles for different reasons:

Van
>stealthy, can park almost anywhere if you're clever
>customizable. can set it up how you want
>cheap. people do $100 builds in these. for under $1k can make one really comfortable
>decent milage, cheap and easily available parts

Car
>smaller, less comfortable
>not as stealthy
>not as easy to customize
>no toilet, no shower/electricity/kitchen unless you have portable camping ones

Kombi/VW
>people assume you're a hippie
>constant break downs, expensive and rare parts
>obvious as fuck
>usually already set up though
>instantly "in" with other kombi owners, respect from other vanlifers, mechanics think you're a madman
>360° windows

RV/bus/towed-camper
>basically a house on wheels
>obvious
>huge
>not so good milage
>difficult to maneuver
>cant just park anywhere, if you cant find a walmart you'll have to pay for a camping ground most likely
>have a toilet and shower in them though
>better if you're traveling/living with a family or kids
>>
>>1176941
Probably shipped the homeless to California, the degenerate white trash.
>>
File: sheriff.jpg (19 KB, 376x280)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1168461
>>1168295
>>1168480
>>1170840
>>1170840
>>1181298
>>1182545
Boo boo doo doo caca papa
>>
File: h1.jpg (134 KB, 540x662)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
LPT: Turn your self into a big fluffy wad. Keep your body TROPICAL temperature. As if you are barefoot and shirtless on a beach in the sun. After that, you can do anything. You are your very own walking/cycling/van-dwelling home.
>>
>>1165384
that is a flipping HUGE parrot
>>
>>1175986
just go for it, worst case scenario you get a free generator, best case scenario your thief ass goes to jail and your life is ruined with felony :) :)

good luck nigger! (im assuming youre black)
>>
>>1175959
don't, unless you want to buy every fuel filter in the state and still watch your motor die when fried gunk goes through it.
>>
>>1175962
Get a Chevy/GMC express 1500 painted white with no windows. Maybe put a fake business name on it with cheap decals.
>>
>>1182489
>stealthy,
>not as stealthy
>obvious as fuck
>obvious
when will the stealth meme die?
have you ever even been out living in a vehicle?
you can stay most places for like 3 days before someone will bother you, and the places that will bother you before then will bother you just as much in a van as in a bus/rv; on top of that, nobody is fooled by the guy camping in a van, everyone knows that you're living out of it, they just don't give a shit
>respect from other vanlifers
lol
>mechanics know to gouge the fuck out of you
fixd
>>
>>1182948
and one more: the stealth meme is as asinine as if you tried to "stealth" backpack by looking as much as possible as a dayhiker. Fucking why? In most places people won't care, and the giveaway isn't how you're dressed, it's that you're camping out of a backpack.

You think the people at truck stops, rest stops, walmarts, haven't seen hundreds of other guys pull up in a van, park in a corner of a parking lot, then stay there except to come in and go to the bathroom or buy food? You think they're leaving you alone because you fooled them good, they have no clue you're in there, "it must be some tradesmen's van and he's only in there for fifteen minutes to buy a sandwich" for the last eight hours? Or is it just that they don't give a shit?

And if you have a conversion van it's just as obvious as an rv.
>>
i was about to set off across the country and my fuel pump died, lol
i ran on low gas about two weeks ago
>>
>>1182959
>>1182948
Not everyone lives in the walmart parking lot and.
>>
is it really bad to travel with weed?
I've been going up and down the west coast smoking joints with a bunch of different bags of weed and weed pipes and stuff, not a problem

but I know outside of California,police try to get people in trouble and while I usually don't ever get pulled over, I'm still a long haired hippy in a beater van.

I'm going to smoke all my weed before I head east but what about my edibles and/or topical CBD creams and stuff, do I need to get rid of that too?
>>
>>1183347
around the states where its legalized especially around borders i would expect them to crack down on it
>>
if im homeless how can i do a conversion? where would i be able to do it? do i just have to get all the materials and take it out to the woods to assemble it so i don't get shit all over a parking lot like sawdust? or would that even be that big of a deal?
>>
>>1182948
you're supposed to move every day.
even better, scope out where you're gunna sleep in advance and only go there late at night just before bed, then get out early morning to your day spot.
>>
>>1182959
why the fuck would you build a stealth camper just to park at walmart?
>>
>>1183387
friend's place
family's place
at work depending who you work for.

could even live at a hostel for a week and do it there. its pretty common for people to do it there, some hostels will even lend tools or give you old bedding, furniture and off-cuts if you butter 'em up.
>>
>>1183347
DO NOT drive into the Midwest with weed. If you do, make sure you hide it well, don't carry more than a 1/4 or so, and definitely don't smoke in your vehicle. These cops are assholes and have a crazy hard on for busting stoners. If you can, drive through Nevada and Colorado if possible for obvious reasons. East of Colorado you're fucked until you get through all the shitty hicklands
>>
>>1183347
Oh yeah, and cbd creams and edibles are probably okay as long as you don't keep them in the packaging. Just assume that every cop is going to pull you over and search your shit for being a hippie from the coast, because they pretty much will
>>
>>1172238
Bump. I heard it can be hard to park.
>>
>>1183397
I dunno ask the guy I was originally replying to
Or do you think you need a stealth camper to camp innawoods?
>>
>>1183405
>Just assume that every cop is going to pull you over and search your shit for being a hippie from the coast, because they pretty much will
what are the laws with my camper shell/dwelling being locked while I drive?
if a cop pulls me over he needs some reason of suspicion to search me, ya? can he just make stuff up, they way they may come up with a rediculous reason to pull you over.

and if they do justify search can they demand I unlock my trunk? what if I keep the key to it on a separate key ring or some technicality like that?
>>
What should I go for next in my conversion?

>captain seat
>leisure battery and installed wiring

Also,does anyone have a rock and roll bed here? I'm trying to decide whether or not installing one would actually suit my purposes. I usually travel in my van for 3-14 nights with a lot of sports gear, usually I just sleep on two camping mats and its comfy enough. Sometimes my partner comes along too, I think that I would be sacrificing too much space if I got a small double bed.
>>
People doing this right I think of modern day homesteaders.

Wrong your a fucking homeless shit in the street maybe I can dump out this bottled water for 10c double team this skank in an alley stand around all day staring at the pavement shout at non existent foes j-walking someone put me out of my misery waste of skin.

All I could think of on short notice
>>
>>1183387
Jesus nigger, you have a van.
What do you think tradesmen work out of?

Do it in the Home Depot parking lot nobody gives a fuck. You'll be in and out of there buying shit anyway.
>>
>>1183570
sorry bls i just dont want to be a nuisance to them
>>
>>1183575
People care way less than you think they do.
I've rarely been bothered by anyone.

I do all my repairs in parking lots.
Only ever been asked if I needed help but never to leave.
But I guess it would depend on the area you're in.
>>
>>1183558
Yeah, they're not suppose to search your vehicle without having a good reason, but they'll make up whatever excuse they can find to do it anyway. I think your camper/trunk would be mostly safe if you kept it locked and refused to open it. Most of the cops know that shit is borderline illegal and won't push their luck too hard even in these states that worship the police force, so you would actually have to give them a reason to go that far. Most of the cops here aren't as bad as I'm making them sound, but I've had some of them do shady shit to me where weed is concerned, so just be careful.
>>
Hey bums on how little dosh can one survive comfortably on a day while sleeping/out/?
>>
>>1165335
>homeless
>clearly has a (mobile) home
What the fuck.
>>
>>1183558
A lot of times if they're looking for drugs they'll have dogs with them to sniff them out. If the dog indicates on your locked truck I believe that is considered just cause to search it.
>>
>>1183629
$0
>>
>>1183684
A dog can't indicate shit.

The handler ultimately decides if the dog has found something or not.
So if the police get a dog out, it means they will toss your shit without question.
>>
>>1183670
We get the odd shitposter in the thread who consider anyone not living in a 4 bedroom house to be homeless hippie scum.
>>
File: 1511542212259.jpg (171 KB, 898x1177)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
i miss the guy who was posting these pictures, i want to hear his folk punk!
>>
>>1183700
>A dog can't indicate shit.

border patrol took my weed once
I was road tripping and then pull over after a while to smoke a joint and walk around. after about half an hour I get back on the freeway and within a minute/mile away I'm at an immigration checkpoint
"so what were you doing back there?"
"looking at my phone"
"do you have anything in here were looking for?"
"no"
"why is our dog barking at your car then? , can we search it?"
"can I decline you're request for a search"
"you can but our dog signaled that we should search you so we will anyways"
"okay go ahead... FYI i have a little bit of pot of there,"
~they find the pot within seconds~
"well sir, this is a federal checkpoint and pot is federally illegal so we're going to confiscate this and destroy it, you can be on your way now"
-this was in Cali, mind you
>>
File: rsz_img_20160412_232814.jpg (119 KB, 581x1033)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>1184203
outinnawoods@gmail
drop me a line man i'll email you what im working on
>>
>>1165962
What the fuck

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.