[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 112 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: gun_holster.jpg (25 KB, 400x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
Does /out/ carry any kind of firearm with them when they go on trips? Not necessarily hunting trips specifically, but just regular hikes/camps/expeditions?

Curious to see what the feelings about them are around here, seems like something you'd want to have if you were innawoods like that

If you do carry, what do you pack and how? and have you ever used it?
>>
I don't because europistan but if I lived in the US I would probably carry a pistol or rifle on multiple day camping trips if I planned to hit some targets. For backpacking or long distance hikes I would not bother carrying useless weight around.

>B-but I used to trek 20 miles a day in Afghanistan while carrying 120 pounds of gear, you are a pussy
>>
File: 20170614_190653.jpg (386 KB, 1280x960)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
>>1168120
Yup, oc.

It's not just for "original content" any more!
>>
>>1168127
yeah ive got a couple of rifles right now but if i were to go out with one of them i'd feel more comfortable with a handgun or something. The only rifle i have that's small enough to carry for long distances is just a lil .22

>>1168129
huh, very cool. ever had to use it? or ever have any trouble carrying it, whether legally or otherwise?
>>
>>1168162
No trouble, never used it, never brandished it (display w/intent or aggression). A very light Airweight .38 S&W. OC is lawfull here. 'Course CC w/o permit is, too.
>>
>>1168120
I carry rifles only when hunting, plinking and walking doggos. I know how to avoid trouble with my bear population but I take the puppers off leash and i'm worried the dummies will spook one and lead it back to me.

And before anyone spergs out, I walk them on crown land in Canada where no other humans frequent.

Most places I'd do "hiking trips" I only bring a knife cause I don't want to freak other people out.
>>
File: DSC_5006_-L.jpg (86 KB, 800x533)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Because I can, and because fuck you that's why. I don't need to justify it to anyone but myself.

EDC is in an IWB tuck; on the moto, level 2 OWB paddle holster.

Never "needed to", but i've been safety-off, ready-to-go twice now. Not a fun situation to be in.
Couple of real shitty neighbors, one of them got evicted with the assistance of several armed officers. That was an interesting evening.

I prefer CC... don't care for the attention having a sidearm visible gets me.
>>
>>1168120
I usually just my normal carry piece (9mm Shield) in an iwb holster or sometimes a fanny pack if I'm feeling extra autistic. If i know I'm not going to be around a ton of people, I'll oc my Sig 2022 (also 9mm). If I know I shouldn't be seeing anyone at all on the trip, I might opt to carry my AR, WASR, or 870 if weight isn't going to be too much of an issue. I never really worry about animals, I carry because I'm worried about people.
>>
There's a range nearby a site I frequent so I usually bring my sks and get a little plinking in before heading out
>>
File: 20170903_101825.jpg (2.32 MB, 2576x1932)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
Takedown, folding, suppressed SBR. Haven't taken baby girl hiking yet...
>>
File: 20170903_095121.jpg (2.44 MB, 2576x1932)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>1168256
'Natch, wrong pic.
>>
Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp .357 magnum for innawoods with 180 gr hardcast hot loaded Buffalo Bore boolits. (pic related)

Kimber K6S .357 magnum for EDC with hot 125 gr Barnes TAC-XPD.

Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp .357 magnum for home defense with 125 gr bonded gold dot hot loaded Buffalo Bore pew-pews.

I have many more, but this is my current rotation.
>>
File: 1506154723594.jpg (11 KB, 357x412)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1168202
>doggos
>puppers

Please stop
>>
>>1168261
I love my pupper wuppers
>>
>>1168260
I'm sensing a trend...
>>
>>1168258
ugly
>>
File: 20170725_193549.jpg (620 KB, 1600x1200)
620 KB
620 KB JPG
>>1168315
>beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
I think not.
>>
File: reece[1].jpg (29 KB, 600x494)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1168294

Yes. All my rifles and handguns are in the .30 caliber range except 5.56. This includes .380, 30-30, 30-06, 9mm, .308, .327, .38, .357, and many more.

Why? because in a pinch I could cast bullets for them all using the exact same cast mold and lead, and I only need 1 complete set of cleaning gear for them all.
>>
>>1168258
whats the most packable rifle that comes in something bigger than a .22? Might be fun to have one around for plinking/game/etc.without having a big rifle hanging off the pack
>>
Never leave home without it.
>>
>>1168334
I’m not the person you responded to, but I would think a lever action that breaks down into two parts is good. I think hicock45 did a review on a 30-30 repeater that was designed for those who live in Alaska—lever has more room for people who wear gloves, and can be broken into two pieces for easy storing.

Other than that specific type of gun, I would say any gun that can easily be folded, or comes into two parts. I personally carry a 30-30 Winchester, and it’s not too heavy, but for some that is too much. To each their own, I guess.
>>
File: download (33).jpg (141 KB, 800x450)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>1168334
Depends on what you want from the gun. A TC Contender (pic) gives you multiple options for size and caliber b/c it lets you hot swap with no re-zeroing because the sights are on the barrel piece. For pistol calibers there's the Keltec Sub2000 but honestly a good AR pistol is easily packable when broken down.
>>
>>1168349
i do really like that Contender...
>>
File: IMG_0694_zps0ed5fbda.jpg (174 KB, 1000x581)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>1168260
>>1168332

This guy here again.

Look, THIS is what you want. A Ruger 77/357. Chambered in .357 magnum, your rifle AND handgun use the same caliber ammo. Not to mention that a 158 gr .357 magnum out of an 18 inch barrel rifle can exceed 2200 fps! That's a plus .30 cal heavy bullet with more velocity and energy than a .30-30, reaching into actual large rifle caliber performance.

You can also get this combo in .44 magnum and others as well.
>>
>>1168357

Oh, the rile is a 6 shot. 1 in the chamber, 5 in the rotary magazine underneath.
>>
>>1168120
Walking around in the wild with a gun seems useless unless you're a hunter. Also, you'd need a very good reason to have one to be allowed to do that here.
>>
>>1168383
unexpected animal encounters?
>>
>>1168384
I guess if this was somewhere like Yukon or something, there's barely any bears or wolves here and anyone that gets hurt by them is entirely at fault for not staying away.
>>
>>1168383
>Walking around in the wild with a gun seems useless unless you're a hunter.
/thread
>>
>>1168120

I conceal carry a glock 19 90% of the time.
380 in super hot weather
And 357 mang for innawoods
>>
>>1168120
No, I don't live in constant fear.

the only time I take a gun /out/ is if I'm target shooting or hunting.
>>
>>1168120

I sometimes carry a shotgun with various loads with me in the Oz outback on private land (state land doesn't allow firearms).
>>
>>1168334
Many good suggestions so far...
But, since you were asking me, I'd agree that the Sub-2k is the most correct answer. I have one, mine takes Glock mags.

The custom takedown levers are well over $1k, so the best answer there is a takedown Browning BLR in .223. A config banned in no states, unlike AR pistols.

My AR pistol is gathering dust now, with my SBR stamp rcvd. I may start with it again. SBR AR15 is a good choice, but an impractical suggestion, IMO, due to wait time and state to state variance in laws, if in US. Canada highly restricts or criminalizes ARs, but has liberal SBR laws?

A similar caliber rifle or carbine/pistol combo is a perfectly valid suggestion, mine in .44rem mag, but hardly suits the "most packable" criteria. Unless, LARPing upon horse back while driving cattle from Texas to Kansas City!

But... allow one other in .22LR?

This one I don't have, but do want, the Pack Rifle. Barely creasting 1#, a very accurate .22 takedown for a few 100's of dollars. Think 5 or 6? I haven't followed that one for a couple yrs, but seemed a stable and reliable build to order guy in UT, iirc.

>>1168332
>pinch I could cast bullets for them all using the exact same mould
>.30
>.357

Ok.
>>
>>1168335
Nice!

>>1168398
Boring!
>>
File: 20170821_113556.jpg (270 KB, 2576x1932)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>>1168428
>pack rifle
>15.5 oz
>$425, bare bones
>Logan, UT

https://www.packrifle.com/product/pack-rifle/

I drove through Logan on my way to the eclispe path of totality last Aug. A wonderful town! OC related.
>>
>>1168357
Is that a Horace Kephart pattern knife?
>>
>>1168383
Gotta keep people from being friendly to you. A .45 automatic on your chest eliminates the need to endure all of those tiresome, empty, and awkward greetings.
>>
>>1168458
>hey anon, fuckin nice 1911, what kind is it?
>can i dry fire it to feel the sweet sweet trigger pull?
>>
>>1168460
I have never had this happen, but if it did
>stares at his feet
>Uh, h-hi
>It's a R-ruger
>kbye
>>
>>1168458
I'm sure this is more than just a figment of your imagination
>>
>>1168357
What is a flat trajectory?
What is maximum point blank range?
While the 357 and 44 are fun guns they are not the best choice for hunting past 150 yards
>>
>>1168387
Lets keep our headin the sand and hope nothing bad ever happens.
It’s better to have it and not needed than to needed and not have it.

I carry a med kit too, never needed it. I guess I should just leave it at home.
>>
>>1168509
Well, if your laws allow it, I guess have fun but it's still unnecessary. As for me, I have no need for a gun. There are no dangerous animals anywhere near me. And i wouldn't comapre a gun to medical supplies.
>>
>>1168357
Made this comparison for you
200 yard zero
The trajectory of the 30-30 is superior to the 357
The 357is 8 inches high at 100 yards
>>
>>1168524
And the numbers.
357 falls off at longer ranges. The reason why trajectory is important
>>
>>1168515
But both can save your life.
>>
>>1168532
There will never be a threat that I would need a gun for, though.
>>
>>1168120
No. I have not ever carried a gun with me while hiking, even in bear country, and I’ve never felt like I needed one either. However, I’ve only ever hiked/camped in the Appalachians, where we only really have black bears and the odd mountain lion. Nothing you really need a gun to deal with.
>>
I grew up in deep dark West Virginia. Carried a shotgun from maybe 9 years old when my brother enlisted and left it to me until I bought A heavily used Security Six at 16. I'm envious of the lives of those itt saying these tools aren't needed, probably have never been chased and beaten or had buckshot pulled out of them. I may have moved away but that beat magnum stays on me everywhere I can get away with it.
>>
>Doug Wesson got off a train in Wyoming in 1936 with a brand new Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum and 250-rounds of factory ammunition. He proceeded to blow minds with the capabilities of this mid-sized round. He shot an antelope at a distance of nearly 200-yards. This was followed by an awe-inspiring shot on a bull elk at 130-yards. The round passed through both lungs, taking the animal clean. Finally Wesson shot a bull moose with that .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson at 100-yards. North America’s largest ungulate made it only forty yards before he dropped dead. Later Wesson found that the factory round had gone through the moose’s neck at the base, cut through one rib, passed through the big bull’s lungs and even had enough juice left to cut a divot in a rib on the other side.

Unfortunately they say that factory .357 isn't as hot as it used to be, but you can always hand load and use it a in a rifle/ properly constructed magnum framed revolver.
>>
File: self-flagellation.jpg (114 KB, 750x612)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>1168532
only one can end a life...
Jesus I can already feel the faggot flowing in my veins, im very sorry anon
>>
>>1168383
t. Bear
>>
>>1168578
>West Virginia
Well there’s your problem!
>>
>>1168642
Yeah, it's fucking great, keep out bitch. I'm back home for the holidays now and I've been squirreling/ grousing with kin every morn.
>>
>>1168120
Yep. I don't go anywhere without a gun. Depending on what I'm doing I will alternate between an LC9S Pro and a Smith 629 3".
>>
>>1168669
Nice!
>>
>>1168387
I guess this really depends on where you live, are there no dangerous wildlife in England or wherever you are in Europistan? Because I've heard liberal people say the same even in "safe" suburban areas of the northeast US, yet shit happens. A college kid got eaten by a large adult male black bear in Northern New Jersey, about an hour outside of manhattan, a few years back. There was also a woman who was killed by a pack of coyotes in Nova Scotia a few years back as well. I have seen black bears a number of times in a place where there is supposedly no population of them.

Its too bad you aren't allowed to defend yourself wherever you live, but like
>>1168509
said, I bet you carry some medical kit, and I also bet you've never used it before. Will you also stop carrying medical supplies because you'll probably never need it?
>>
Depends on how I am feeling that day.

Some days it is a Finnish M/39 Mosin, some days an AR-15 carbine, and some days a .22 pellet rifle.

If I take the Mosin or the air rifle I also take a pistol (right now a Turkroach USP clone) that has a flashlight on it. I would prefer to carry something heavier than a 9mm, but right now it is the only pistol I have with a light rail on it.

Maybe for my birthday I might pick myself up a new Glock 20 or 40 to take instead.
>>
>>1168535
t. bubble boi
>>
>>1168724
As I've said, you really can't compare medical supplies and a weapon.
I live away from the bear and wolf territory and the transit area where they move through so the chance of meeting either (or a lynx or any other animal like that) is miniscule. The people who do live in those areas don't usually walk around with guns, either. They're just more careful. If this was Alaska and there'd d be grizzlies all over the place, I'd understand being safe but otherwise, there's no need. The animals don't want confrontations, either. People who live around bears have done so for a very long time and it's really mostly just the idiots who act in the woods like they would in their garden that get hurt.

>>1168730
As I've said, I don't live in the middle of Alaska.
>>
>>1168734
t. Or Serbia.
>>
I wonder how many posters ITT are indeed sc/out/s and how many are just /k/ spillover once a year car campers. Since inception of this board I remember one legit gun (non hunting) poster, Ruger Blackhawk in Idaho iirc and one semilegit because crystal meth heavy neighbourhood. But then, those guys had plenty of OC showing them deep out on the trail with their firearms and full kit.
>>
>>1168740
that is what i wanna be, desu

the 45-70 that was mentioned somewhere in this thread seems like a good choice, honestly

something that can handle anything anywhere with lever action reliability
>>
Western Montana, I open carry almost everywhere I go when out because bears are scary.

Also because there's a lot of meth-head retards out here.
>>
>>1168535
>>There will never be a threat that I would need a gun for, though.
I have not taken the time to read all of your post,and probably will not either.
I would like to add though, as maybe one the most experienced person on this thread as far as outdoor pursuits goes (im not trying to start a pissing contest), that i rarely have toted any firearms while /out/, and most dangers are far and away more perceived than real with needing one.
Now having said that in conclusion i must add that the top statement could only be made by someone with NO real world experience or knowledge, or has a really great set of rose colored glasses.
To believe that under NO circumstance would be compelled to need a forearm...damn.
>>
>>1168760
>under NO circumstance
Nah, but believing that the risk is virtually zero and doesn't justify to drag a gun around with you makes sense.
>>
>>1168760
I live in one of the safest countries in the world, in an area where there are no large predators roaming around. My grandfather used a gun when he was fighting nazis and his father when he fought against Italians in the first world war while I live a safe life.
Our laws demand that you fill out paperwork where you have to give out a good reason as to why you will acquire a gun; playing wild west isn't one of them, as isn't saying that you want a gun on the off chance that it might come handy to your great-great-grandson one day.
>>
>>1168763
Have been fucking hit by shot on multiple occasions
>guys no one NEEDS a gun, they're heavy, ok, grow up.
>>
>>1168774
Your favourite trail sure must be a hell of a warzone. You're a real hero anon!
>>
>>1168773
>Our laws demand that you fill out paperwork where you have to give out a good reason as to why you will acquire a gun.
what poor hell hole do you call home?
Not knowing human history.
>>
>>1168783
A "poor hell hole" where I don't need a gun to defend myself in shootouts.
>>
>>1168785
Those rose colored glasses are top tier, lad
>>
>>1168783
>what poor hell hole do you call home?
Slovenia if my history knowledge is right.
>>
>>1168786
On the plus side, he posts OC and interesting threads on a regular basis, most I see ITT is burgers doing family photos of their guns in their own backyard.
>>
>>1168780
It's West Virginia so it is a fucking war zone and it always has been. Check your privilege, shitlord!
>>
>>1168763
we would have maybe ended it here in agreement, but....
>>
>>1168786
Well, it's the truth. I'm not sure what other point I can make other than what I've already written. I have never been in a shootout, the only shots I've ever heard from a guy were by hunters and the closest I've been to a dangerous predator was at the zoo.

>>1168787
I'm not sure how you picked it up from my posts but you're correct.

>>1168789
I think you're thinking of someone else, I couldn't post any OC in this thread other than an air gun.
>>
File: 1436246296396.png (96 KB, 255x255)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
i'm having a laugh at the soybois who can't even fathom someone just having some simple fun plinking in the woods with an ebil gun
>>
>>1168792
>against Shitaly in WW1
>against Gnazis in WW2
makes you former K.u.K/Yugoslavia
>not a shithole and save
makes you Slovenian because it is the only non shit Balkan country. Didn't you post some OC on hiking in Slovenia lately?

>>1168790
Thats great for you anon, please accept that this doesn't make your opinion any more relevant for most anons here.
>>
>>1168793
>plinking
plinking is legit (please collect your brass/shells), so is hunting. It's just the muh self defence anons which are highly annoying.
>>
>>1168796
i dont think anyone is expecting to get robbed or something in the woods but worst case scenario i'd like to have some way to protect myself againt whatever
>>
>>1168795
Oh, of course. I guess I'm getting too tired.

>Didn't you post some OC on hiking in Slovenia lately?
Nope. There's a bunch of us here. For some reason, there's even a thread up right now.

>>1168793
Can do the same with an air gun.
>>
>>1168797
fair enough anon, thats legit.
but please don't treat everyone as soyboy when they make different choices for their own reasons. Especially not when those guys actually carry /out/ with most of the OC here, so far I have seen very few summit pics involving handguns.
>>
>>1168792
you are confusing me with another poster im afraid.
never mentioned any shootouts so you're off on that.
i would have thought (mistakenly it seems)that someone that close to the balkans could not see a possible use for firearms (even if not required for most outdoor adventures).
one last thing is i would love to see your country some day, even with dreadful gun ownership laws.
>>
>>1168799
Will take a summit pic with a handgun and a rifle just for you anon, just for you. Gonna be awhile but it will happen.
>>
>>1168803
Looking forward to it anon and will feel honoured.
>>
>>1168803
Not that anon, but would be better subject matter than the typical friday night ATF thread on /k/.
>>
>>1168801
why do you care, though? It's their country and their fucking constitution allows them to, so they rightfully exerce their liberties. For some reason you seem to be scared of an inanimate object which leads me to believe that under the right circumstances you would be against knives, axes or similar tools. It also makes me thing that you expect that the bobbies will always be there for you which they don't. Also before you say something I'm >>1168127
and I live in a country safer than Slovenia.
>>
>>1168812
Dude you are all fucked on your replys.
Let me say again, im not that anon.
>>
>>1168815
aren't you >>1168792 ?

>even with dreadful gun ownership laws.
if not you said, so it still applies.
>>
>>1168822
Nope.
You took a wrong turn on your cyber trek, lad.
>>
>>1168826
I apologize
>>
>>1168828
no problem.
Also thank you for your service.>>1168828
(seriously)
>>
>>1168830
>Also thank you for your service
But I have never served, senpai. And desu I would never do it because by being part of a nato country that means being deployed to ME to protect (((their))) interests.
>>
Kind of want to pick up a makarov or Smith and Wesson model 10 stubby boi for carrying when /out/.

I hike in Missouruh so I’m just afraid of stumbling upon some stupid fucking meth head on the way to good spots.

Fuck this state.
>>
>>1168801
I don't think I was confusing you for anyone, it was just a general statement. I'm aware there are possible threats lurking around but that doesn't mean I'd need a gun. I don't wear a life vest just because there's a possibility I might fall in a river at some point, either.
Your remark about the Balkans is a bit perplexing - are you saying I need a gun in case of a civil war? I wouldn't worry about that, honestly.

>>1168812
I suppose this was meant for me.
I honestly don't care. If Americans want to parade around with guns, it's their choice but it doesn't seem to make it a very safe place. Still, I made it clear that I don't see a reason why I personally would need a gun - as I have written several times by now, I'm sure someone living in a wild part of Alaska would need one.
Also, I wouldn't say I'm afraid of guns (or any of the tools you mentioned, peculiarly), although I'm not sure how I'd feel if everyone who wanted to play soldiers could walk around with a gun. So far, I never needed to call the cops (and I don't put much faith in them, mind you) but a potential threat doesn't sound a good enough reason to own a gun.
>>
File: IMG_3652.jpg (1.71 MB, 4032x3024)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
What's with all these edgy faggots

> i dun need a gun because i dun live in a constant state of fear. am big stronk boi

Neck yourselves. There's nothing wrong with carrying, and there's nothing wrong with not carrying either. The important thing is to not be a cocky douchebag about it either way.
>>
>>1169305
Nice saturday night special.
>>
>>1169313
>semi
Pretty sure that's a Friday night special.
>>
>>1168841
Where at? I live in south western area and there isnt much to see here
>>
>>1169346
But it's Saturday night and you're special to me, anon.
>>
>>1169508

kek
>>
File: 1490068496690.jpg (33 KB, 400x400)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Speaking of trips, check em.
>>
when I was a kid I saw a guy put down a deer that got hit by a car, that's what made me realize the utility of carrying daily.
>>
>>1168120
Heritage Rough Rider
homemade holster out of an old pair of Carhart brown overalls
use it on bottles and junk but always consider the possibility of getting in a gun fight
>>
File: 20170722_170121.jpg (716 KB, 1600x1200)
716 KB
716 KB JPG
>>1169044
> but a potential threat doesn't sound a good enough reason to own a gun
>self-defense =/= survival

Carry on, literally.

This retarded shit right here is why I never argue with the handicapped.
>>
>>1170623
We're surviving without guns quite well, thank you. In contrast, America's abundance of them isn't doing you any favours.
>>
>>1170632
Yet, I am favored.
>>
>>1168120
Yes, I OC a Glock 20 with a lone wolf barrel anytime I'm /out/; full house 10mm loads will handle any 2 or 4 legged threat I might run into in my area. I've had the misfortune of stumbling upon a meth lab out in bumfuck nowhere and getting shot at, will never be in that situation unarmed again.
>>
>>1170797
Isn't it strange that the worst encounters you have in the woods are with other humans, not animals
>>
File: EDC.jpg (119 KB, 1280x960)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>1168120
>Does /out/ carry any kind of firearm with them when they go on trips?

I always carry my NAA .32 Guardian but when camping, I also keep my .357 S&W M686-5 in the tent for Bigfoot defense.
>>
>>1168120
Nope, probably should because I live in AK but I have pretty bad sensory issues and it's way too uncomfy.
>>
>>1172740
>strange
Nope.

When you consider the urbanization of former wilderness, over population (humans) and the marginalised and pressured wildlife, the rise in drug use and drop in the median income (USA), I'm not suprised at all.

Don't get me wrong, I either carry or have one in the truck _every day_ and I DO get /out/ into the backcountry. But it's the two legged critters that are the problem.
>>
>>1172740
>strange
Maybe I'm a jaded fuck, but it doesn't really surprise me much. We have a huge meth and opioid problem in the US, it's not that surprising that you would run into it in areas that have little law enforcement presence. What actually surprises me is that more people haven't had experiences like mine or treat the backcountry like some magical place that is immune to violence and take zero precautions.

>humans, not animals
Don't get me wrong anon, animals are a real concern in my area; It seems every year we have somebody get attacked by cougar or black bear. I do openly admit that humans are in general much more likely to be a problem though. The 10mm was chosen because it will make anything listed above regret it's life choices if it catches a 220gr hardcast bullet.
>>
>>1168792
>Well, it's the truth.
The truth is that the "shootouts" in the US are contained in ghetto neighborhoods where strict gun laws have been in place for decades. As ironic as it is, the states and counties with the most lax regulation of firearms are - in general, with few exceptions - the safest to live in.

PS. The wild west wasn´t exceptionally "wild" (i.e. violent), despite 60s spaghetti westerns portraying the period as such.
>>
>>1170632
> In contrast, America's abundance of them isn't doing you any favours.
They´re only an "issue" (in the way you define the word in this context) when illegally acquired by violent ghetto gangbangers. Your media will not report the FBI-gathered statistics that clearly prove this to be the case, but it nevertheless remains the truth of the matter.
>>
I got into handgun hunting a while ago. (Thanks dad!). I carry a python with an 8 inch barrel and a scope for hunting.
>>
I bring a ruger 10/22 and right before dusk I bushwack off the trail to go shoot little targets. its very fun. Idk if its legal or not
>>
>>1168401
>No, I don't live in constant fear.

Wow, badass. Epic too
>>
>>1169044
>Also, I wouldn't say I'm afraid of guns

I would.
>>
Can you carry in Upstate NY? I read some laws and they either say yes or no, so I'm quite confused.
>>
File: IMG_20170623_144149.jpg (353 KB, 1070x870)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
I'm never /out/ without at least one of these.
>>
I LOC my ar15 strapped to the side of my pack while in national forests in California.
Although it's getting more annoying because "Das not a hunting rifle" ect.
>>
>>1175921
I would be if I lived in a country where any random nutjob could be carrying one with him at any given moment.
>>
>>1168120
I carry a FIGHTING knife
>>
>>1176247
>>1176247
>I would be if I lived in a country where any random nutjob could be carrying one with him at any given moment.

BITCH
>>
>>1176233
>AR15
>CA
Doubtful.
>>
>>1168357
>suffering the weight and bulk of a rifle for slightly improved handgun ballistics

Just carry a sporter rifle in a full sized chambering unless you need to cosplay cowboy THAT badly
>>
>>1176260
It's chambered in 458 socom, and uses a 10 round magazine, which is maglocked. The magazine also is the exact same as a 30 round 5.56 mag, so it looks scarry.
It is fully featured and legal as it requires the rifle to be disassembled to remove the magazine.
>>
>>1168217
this is a cool picture. i like that bike. what is it?
>>
>>1168256
thats a nice fuckin gun m8
>>
>>1175493
>the states and counties with the most lax regulation of firearms are - in general, with few exceptions - the safest to live in.

But 5 of the 10 safest cities in the US are in California. So you're totally wrong.
>>
>>1176278
Sure, and Chicago and DC have huge gun violence problems despite having extremely strict gun laws. What your looking at is more a function of demographics, black on black gun violence is a plague on these cities; Poor cities with large black populations tend to have high levels of violent crimes.
>>
>>1176264
I see. A good way to go, given...
>>
>>1176286
>poor cities
Affluent cities, too.
>>
>>1168383
Not everyone hikes in their grandmother's backyard.
>>
>>1176296
Neither do I and I've never come across any dangerous predators (pic related). If you're an American, you're probably risking getting shot in your grandma's backyard.
>>
>>1168515
>There are no dangerous animals anywhere near me.
You are a member of the most dangerous animal species on the planet you goddamn numbskull.
>>
>>1170632
Oh look, its the "guns cause violence" meme again.
>>
>>1176317
Doesn't sound like a good reason to let everyone have a gun. In fact, sounds like the exact opposite.

>>1176326
You're right, there's also the fact that Americans are more violent by nature. Still, limiting how many people have guns is a good precaution.
>>
>>1176332
Making it so only the government, farmers and criminals have guns does not help anybody.

The USA has 80 million legal gun owners 99%+ of whom do not commit crimes with their guns. Its the thousands of gang members and criminals with illegally acquired guns that are the problem.
>>
>>1176303
>If you're an American, you're probably risking getting shot in your grandma's backyard.

lel euros will just make up shit to feel superior
>>
>>1176434
he does have a point there
if I ever took a gun with me while hiking, it would be only in the US and only in case of humans, not animals
besides, any 9mm you could get in Europe with permits would do fuck all against a bear
>>
>>1169305
This. Let people make their own choices based on the laws of their country and live with the consequences.
>>
>>1176441
>he does have a point
no he doesn't
>>
>>1176467
yes he does
>>
>>1176480
No, he's right. He doesn't.
>>
>>1176484
wrong, he does
>>
>>1176487
No, there was a vote, he does not.
>>
>>1176489
That settles it
>>
>>1176278
>>1176294
>cherrypicking this hard
The correlation between homicide and availability of guns is almost non-existent, while the opposite is true for homicide and "ethnically diverse" densely populated urban areas. This is scientific fact, mind you, and not a mere anecdote concocted by me to fit my world-view.

One google search query, while probably too much of a hassle for you, is all it takes to find the aforementioned data.
>>
>>1176332
>You're right, there's also the fact that Americans are more violent by nature.
Latino and black Americans, yes. White Americans, no.
>Doesn't sound like a good reason to let everyone have a gun. In fact, sounds like the exact opposite.
Arming the government, which is always ruled by more or less amoral power-hungry megalomaniacs, is a surefire way to wreak wide-scale havoc and upset the social order. For reference, take what happened in Russia, China, Cambodia, many South American states, and numerous African states in the 20th century.

Here´s a hint: giving up your stick to the charismatic leader serves no useful purpose.
>>
>>1176489
>>1176490
I have not been partaken in this vote and thus I call it null
>>
>>1176850
America does have the most serial killers, most of them white
I wonder why
>>
>>1168120
9mm derringer
2.5 inch barrels
I like it a lot more than a snub nose revolver
>>
>>1168812
>>1168798
>>1168795
>>1168787
Lol I am from Slovenia.
Safe 12/10, but own a beretta from black market
>>
>>1177064
>documentation

The rest of the world has them to the same degree and numbers. More for rapists. It's just not documented.

Other than the obvious moral story of Hansel and Gretel and the cannibal witch.
>>
>>1177060
Too late. Poll is closed, you lost. Chad hanging crybaby!
>>
>>1168120
At camp it's either a M&P Shield in 9mm or a a Ruger 22/45 lite.
For my Alaska trip its a Glock 40 MOS in 10mm
>>
File: nu-PC9.jpg (23 KB, 825x190)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1168334
Ruger is revamping the PC-9 carbine into what is essentially a 9mm 10/22 Takedown that can take Glock mags.
>>
>>1177175
ugly af though
>>
>>1177178
>ugly
I like it enough to be annoyed that I blew all my disposable cash on a generator a day before Ruger announced this.
>>
File: 20170903_094534.jpg (2.75 MB, 2576x1932)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>1177196
Yeah....
>>
>>1168840
You missed out. Best camping trip EVER. They give you guns and shit.
>>
>>1177064
And just how many people are killed by serial killers each year?
>>
>>1177229
Like, a number of them.
>>
>>1176269
KTM 525.
>>
>>1177236
A relatively minuscule number of them.
>>
>>1177263
>not admitting a life is a Glory and relative to the Universe as such. This precious jewel is to be held in Sanctity and above all else. The miracle of life is worth Praise!

So, yeah. A number.
>>
I almost always carry my glock 17. never needed it, but always happy that it is there. Usually carry my .17 Hornet just in case I see a coyote that needs to die.
>>
>>1177275
>fuckinh glock
>no.22lr, no .22wrm, no 17hmr

Fuck his WHORE WIFE!
>>
File: best BOB gun.jpg (43 KB, 640x480)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1177201
>>
>>1177299
>sweat death, thou embracth doth coddle mine bodkin!
>oh, how art tho so finne in thine grasp?
>>
>>1168120
I only have a Tanfoglio handgun I carry around innawoods, but since I'm moving to bear and boar country innamountains I'm probably going to pick up a Glock 20 or 40MOS.
>>
>>1177299
I have the non takedown of that with the same stock. It still only comes out to 27 inches, which fits fine in my larger pack.
I kinda want to get a trick barrel for the extra inch, but ehh, cost mone
>>
Rifle for certain settings is a necessity
a handgun to give you a false sense of security from encountering weird hillbillies (and so forth!) is ridiculous
>>
>>1177355
A big bore or magnum handgun is much better suited as a backup in case of something like a moose or bear attack, unless of course you're lugging around an AR-10 which isn't legal in a lot of places.
>>
>>1177357

i'm sure there are instances where a handgun is preferable but they are few and far between

i had in mind more the sort of people who feel it necessary to carry a firearm principally in defense of human threats

you might as well carry a trash can lid over your head in case of boulder falls
>>
>>1177359
You're stupid
>>
>>1168120
i need muh gun for da hood

>USA
>>
File: 1484459924129.jpg (563 KB, 913x1144)
563 KB
563 KB JPG
>>1168120
My EDC in a P320 9mm. I shoot it well and from many torture test it handles water and mud better than average (torture test online, I don't do that shit to my weapons). I think carrying when out is a good safety measure.

Also, it seems like people get targeted a lot on trails (especially women who should carry concealed). There was a guy not to long ago who stabbed some woman to death with a combat knife near here and they luckily caught him. She was trail running if I remember correctly.

Animals are another concern. Wild bigs, bears, feral dogs, etc. it just depends on your area. This also brings in the question the type of caliber you need to carry. For example, you don't want to shoot a bear with 9mm.

Last, you don't feel as vulnerable when camping. It's nice to grab your pistol (attached to a lanyard), lay back, and go to sleep knowing you can defend yourself.

If you are new to holsters Kydex holsters are the way to go (outside the waistband if hiking). I usually buy from On You 6 Designs, Ozark Holster Co, or Blacksmith Tactical.
>>
>>1177201
How are you liking the AGP folder? Do they still have blem sales like they did with the 1st gen stocks?
>>
>>1177368

You're paranoid and afraid of death.
>>
>>1177373

It's not for the hood, it's for the hoodlums.
>>
>>1168120
ffs not this thread again
>>
File: 1515607666990.jpg (32 KB, 534x339)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1177964
>You're paranoid and afraid of death.
I disagree. You carry a first aid kit because you might get injured/sick, rain gear because hypothermia sucks, and water purification because giardia blows floppy donkey dicks. All these things can save your life when your /out/, does that mean you're "paranoid and afraid of death" for carrying them? A firearm falls along the same lines of reasoning as the above, you carry a firearm because something might decide it wants you dead and people generally like living.
>>
File: 20170903_103349.jpg (2.3 MB, 2576x1932)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
>>1177925
>blems
Yes. Mine was spotless? Think perm sale for savvy shoppers?

I took off the rails, but they fit perfectly. Too much girth. You could go without a butt pad or go 1/2" to save weight. It is heavier than you'd expect. I went for proper LOP. You could go bull bbl and do the TacSol or Volq carbon bbl (which I would) but I went SBR, so. I just cut the factory bbl and get great accuracy. Primary Arms dot.

I would do the AGP over Magpul Packer every day. Suppressed and subsonic ammo it is just the action cycle, like a finger snap. A quite finger snap.

My other sweetie, pic related. Tacsol SBX bbl.
>>
>>1176270
A Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308 win, thanks. Burris scope does really well. Don't listen to the bitchers, they work as advertised. That setup was ringing 8" steel @220yrds that day. First day of sight in.
>>
>>1177977

>You carry a first aid kit because you might get injured/sick, rain gear because hypothermia sucks, and water purification because giardia blows floppy donkey dicks. All these things can save your life when your /out/, does that mean you're "paranoid and afraid of death" for carrying them?

It's a question of degree. If I were in the Arctic Circle doing /out/ stuff, I would certainly want a large caliber handgun for polar bears.

But if I'm going on an overnight trip in a State Park in July, you don't fucking need it at all. What are you defending yourself from? What are you worried about? Getting robbed? Getting attacked by a crazy rural serial killer? Those are honestly the only things I can think of that a gun would help with, in which case the odds of encountering them are so low it doesn't warrant carrying the extra weight.

I really think people bring guns into the woods for a false sense of security. They don't like the idea of getting cornered by a wild animal (highly unlikely) without a gun. They don't like the idea of encountering a human threat (highly unlikely) without a gun. The loaded gun helps them sleep.

But I want them to realize: there are many ways you can die instantly in the woods for which you have no defense. If a boulder falls under you (or out from under you), oh well, bad luck, you're dead. It's one in a million but it happens every year to some unlucky bastard. If you slip and fall and break your back in a crevice, oh well, you might be dead. If you a bear decides to bite your head while you're asleep, oh well, you're probably dead. If you catch a freak viral infection in the water and get severe diarrhea in the woods when you're out of water, oh well, you might just die.

There's risks inherent to being alive. A gun does very little except make us FEEL safe.
>>
>>1178004
>But if I'm going on an overnight trip in a State Park in July, you don't fucking need it at all. What are you defending yourself from? What are you worried about?

Read the thread imho
>>
>>1178004
You don't fuck around with a hand gun and polar bears. You start at .338 Win Mag moving quickly to .375 WEA, .378 WEA, .416 REM MAG and up, if need be.

You really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to guns.

You have convinced yourself you understand the "psychology" of guns, but you don't know that either.
>>
>>1178014

1. I read a story in National Geographic about this guy crossing the bearing straight when it was frozen in winter and he carried a 50 caliber handgun with him (which ended up getting him arrested in Russia when he made it to the other side). Since I did not pull that idea out of my ass but in reference to this story, I won't let you talk to me as if I'm a moron when I'm not.

2. I will leave aside how stupid the phrase "psychology of guns" is, for a moment, only to encourage you to:

Stop being a pussy and just get over the fact that there are things in the world that can kill you, and stop trying to wave your big steel dick around in the woods like it's going to save you from getting shot in your sleep by a sadistic woods-dwelling creep.
>>
>>1178026
yeah i'm sure entering russian territory illegally had nothing to do with his arrest

i will talk to you like you're moron btw
>>
>>1168383

And you're a Noguns euro faggot
>>
>>1178026
I can see you've lead a protected life and haven't had to back up your shittalk in a while.
>>
File: 1510622535376.jpg (138 KB, 890x656)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>1178004
Nihilism: The Post. If you feel that way, why take any precautions at all?

>>1178004
>If I were in the Arctic Circle doing /out/ stuff, I would certainly want a large caliber handgun for polar bears.
>large caliber handgun for polar bears
>handgun for polar bears

That's straight up retarded, You would either want to carry a large bore rifle as per >>1178014 or a 12ga with a 3.5" chamber and some seriously hot slugs. For comparison:

Handguns
>44 Mag
300gr JSP has ~1000 ft/lbs
>500 S&W
400gr PTHP has ~2900 ft/lbs

Rifle
>338 Win Mag
250gr SP has ~3900 ft/lbs
>375 H&H Magnum
300gr SPBT ~4650 ft/lbs

Shotgun
3.5" 12 Ga 600gr Sabot has ~4750 ft/lbs

A charging bear is probably only going to give you time to get one, maybe two shots off, so it needs to be something that will seriously fuck it up even with a non-vital hit. Handguns are generally a poor choice for this as you can see from the muzzle energy stats.

>>1178026
>I read a story in National Geographic about this guy crossing the bearing straight when it was frozen in winter and he carried a 50 caliber handgun
Just because someone does something doesn't mean it's advisable or that you have the skill to pull it off.
>>
>>1178038

>[a friend of the walkers] admitted the walkers' gun, ammunition, GPS system, video camera and satellite phones would have aroused the suspicion of the Russian authorities.

Neat post. I'll check back tomorrow to see if you have anything of substance to say tomorrow since:

1) we're off course (the argument is about whether a person needs to carry a firearm with them into the woods, not whether or not Karl Bushby was arrested for carrying a firearm or illegally entering a territory)

2) you're still wrong (about the off-course argument)
>>
>>1178042

>Nihilism: The Post. If you feel that way, why take any precautions at all?

I can be a perfectly normal, healthy human being with any belief system and still leave home without my meteor protection device. I'll take an umbrella when it rains. Does that make sense? As I said, it's a question of degree.

>Just because someone does something doesn't mean it's advisable or that you have the skill to pull it off.

I have not been trying to argue that I have survival skills, just providing an example of someone carrying a gun outdoors where I agreed it seemed reasonable to do so.
>>
>>1178042
Yeah no shit rifles are more powerful than handguns, doesn't mean big bore handguns are useless against large animals

>>1178044
I bet entering Russian territory illegally raised even more suspicion than a gun, GPS, satphone, etc.

Do you think they'd have just let him continue on his way without all that shit?
>>
>how quickly KAL007 is forgotten
>>
>>1178045
>It's reasonable because I said so
>>
>>1178051

Yes, the aggressiveness of the Polar Bear makes it a serious threat to anyone who encounters it on foot.

It's reasonable because the increased danger (the aggressiveness) should be proportional to increased protection (the gun).

I don't suppose you have Polar Bears where you go out-and-armed?
>>
File: 1514770241781.jpg (68 KB, 519x519)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1178026
>stop trying to wave your big steel dick around in the woods like it's going to save you from getting shot in your sleep by a sadistic woods-dwelling creep.
Nah, I'll pass. I've had to use my gun against a black bear during a charge and been shot at by meth heads while /out/; I'll continue to carry wherever it's legal, which luckily is essentially all federal land. The bonus is it really brings out the butthurt fags like you when I OC.

>>1178045
>meteor protection device vs firearm
Nice strawman you got there. CDC recorded 20,666 self defense shootings in 2012 while only 20 people have been killed by meteorites in the last CENTURY. Fuck, those CDC numbers don't even include defense against animals. These occurrences are so disparate probability wise it's not even funny.

>>1178046
>Yeah no shit rifles are more powerful than handguns
That's kinda the point. When your life possibly comes down to a single trigger pull you'd probably rather have the better inherent accuracy and power that the rifle/shotgun delivers. People have killed Grizzlies with 9mm, doesn't mean it's actually a good round for the job.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/
>>
>>1178056
I don't go /out/ armed with a .416 Rem Mag, if that's what you mean, fuck wad?
>>
>>1178059

Take a gun out if you're in Alaska for fuck's sake, you don't need one in Virginia, is my point.
>>
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/131738-22-HORNET-or-222-Rem-Which-has-killed-the-most-BROWN-BEARS
>>
>>1178059
You don't always want to take a rifle where you're going and there are a number of revolvers powerful enough for big game. One of the selling points of the S&W 500 is that it will take out any North American game with one shot (placed well of course)

At close quarters rifle accuracy vs. handgun accuracy doesn't mean shit and the handgun is way faster to grab and fire. Another benefit is that a handgun only needs one hand for operation.
>>
>>1169305
You emt?
>>
>>1178062
Whoa you're wrong. A decade ago in Georgia, a serial killer was stalking people on public land and decapitated a young hiker. Grow operations are getting more and more common on public lands as well. Read the thread
>>
>>1178070

A few years ago a Chinese girl was crushed by a falling rock in the White Mountains.

Should we all wear helmets now?
>>
>>1168120
I take my 9mm every now and again for plinking, but I don't feel particularly uncomfortable in the woods without a weapon (not counting my knife), and I respect those who feel the need to carry. It really comes down to how much you care about the small chance you'll have to use it. That said, if I was in grizzly territory I'd definitely carry something hefty, probably a .44 and a 12 gauge.
>>
File: retard-cartman.jpg (30 KB, 450x450)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1178074
I know one thing for sure, you're so dense that you should be wearing one.
>>
Ever notice how the /noguns/ can't simply keep it to themselves? They have to shit up EVERY gun thread on here?

If you don't want to take a gun innawoods no one gives a shit, but don't preach to us we shouldn't either. Fuck off.

>>1178074
No, we're not all in the White Mountains

What was your point?
>>
>>1168433
Sick photo! Were you in the /out/ eclipse thread? Driving down to North Carolina and camping out with my buds while shitposting on /out/ is honestly one of my best memories. Can't wait for the next eclipse.
>>
>>1178081

We can't take everything we might want out with us. We have to choose the most useful/necessary things. Most of the time, we don't need to take a gun, just like most of the time we don't need a helmet.

If a threat is remote, it's best to not think about it, like getting struck by lightning or getting decapitated by a deep woods serial killer.

Being safe and comfortable outdoors is all about anticipating threats/risks/problems accurately, and then preparing for them in proportion. Most of the time, you don't need a gun.

I would only take a gun going:

1) deep wilderness (Canada, Alaska that sort of thing, hundred+ miles away from a town etc., and it should be a rifle)

2) polar bears, maybe heavy/unusually active grizzly bear area too and obviously other wildlife I'm not familiar with (lions, jaguars etc.)

Taking a gun for safety against human threats is anticipating an extremely unlikely threat with a heavy piece of legally complicated metal. It also indicates a general attitude of fear (towards others and towards being vulnerable) that is not the mark of a good outdoorsman.
>>
>>1176247
So...literally anywhere? Everywhere has guns, some places more than others but all you're saying is that the risk where you are doesn't justify carrying. Not everywhere is like that.
>>
>>1178085
I cannot get over what a bitch you are

>laws
Duhhh guuhhh buhhh I can't use the internet and find out whether I'm legal or not in 5 minutes

>Taking a gun for safety against human threats is anticipating an extremely unlikely threat
So is crossing paths with a bear, but you said your would take a gun for that. You're just living in irrational fear anon leave your gun at home lol

>not the mark of a good outdoorsman.
What in the hell is more outdoorsman than guns idiot
>>
File: 22v2.jpg (171 KB, 750x1334)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
Canada
>>
>>1178089

>What in the hell is more outdoorsman than guns idiot

actually needing them?
>>
File: 1495474246833.gif (352 KB, 500x300)
352 KB
352 KB GIF
>>1178045
>>1178074
>>1178085
Your head and back must hurt from that cognitive dissonance and shifting all those goalposts anon, maybe you should take a break...
>>
>>1178081
OP posed a question, is there a reason why one kind of opinion wouldn't be allowed?

>>1178040
Damn, I will not be able to recover from that one.

>>1178087
In much of the civilised world, it would be quite strange to see people that aren't part of law enforcement to walk around with guns
And you're right, I did write that it depends on location. I would own one too if I lived somewhere in Alaska where I could get attacked by bears several times a day. But again, owning a gun just because seems unnecessary.
>>
File: 1509849370337.jpg (38 KB, 500x479)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1178177
>Civilized
>Europe
You almost had me up until that point. Enjoy your rapist "asian" migrants, no go zones, knife confiscations, grenade attacks, and trucks of peace. I'd call you and most the rest of your continent beta cucks, but that would be an insult to beta cucks everywhere.
>>
>>1178191
I don't live in this Republic of Europe you speak of, there's none of that here.
>>
>>1178203
Oh really? Then where do you live?
>>
>>1178205
I've already written I live in Slovenia. Europe is not a country and the closest warzone is in the Ukraine.
>>
>>1178206
>I'd call you and most the rest of your continent beta cucks
>rest of your continent
>continent
Reading comprehension anon, I was generalizing about the European continent as a whole. I stand by my post that countries on your continent as a whole have imported a massive number of problematic people recently.

>Republic of Europe
I know you were trying to be cute, but the EU is slowly creeping closer to that idea, your current situation is actually coming to resemble the federalist model we settled on in the US for better or worse.

>closest warzone is in the Ukraine
After the debacle that was New Year's in France I'd beg to differ.
>>
>>1178206
>Croatia, Serbia
>no threats

Pick one.
>>
File: 20170821_091423.jpg (2.26 MB, 2576x1932)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
>>1178082
>eclipse thread
Did not contriboot. I was in (near) Jackson, WY on the north bank of the Snake river. That was a cell phn pic with special zoom and filter, believe it or not.

I planned ahead. Much like planning ahead in taking a gun /out/. I took my trusty .38 across 5 state lines to get there, three up, two back. Never had a concern about the legality. Never had a concern about falling rock or polar bears. Did see a moose in UT, that was a bit of a nice suprise! Did camp over 9k', so burrs.

Never leave home without it. Don't live in fear, as suggested, because I don't have much of anything to fear. I rely upon myself and I am very trustworthy.

I plan ahead, pic related.
>>
>>1178208
I am not threatened by anything, including in the outdoors which is the topic of the thread (and the board).

>>1178227
I'd never pick the first option, luckily the second one applies.
>>
>>1178004
>in which case the odds of encountering them are so low it doesn't warrant carrying the extra weight.

>manlet detected
>>
>>1177978
>Think perm sale
Nice. Just checked it out. For $60 I'm in.

I specifically want one so I could cram a T/D into my tiny cycling hydration pack. I can just barely do it with the factory stock, but it prints a "gun stock" silhouette pretty noticeably and it really stretches the seams.

(my apartment lease has a "no-funs" policy, so I have to be discrete)
>>
>>1168120
i bring my homemade javelins and chuck them @ anyone in a 50m radius
>>
File: 20171113_201024.jpg (1.95 MB, 3264x2448)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>1168120
When im /out/, I carry one in my hands, she carries the other on her back.

I might be an ultralighter fag, but 7lbs of big iron is always worth it.
>>
>>1178004
>What are you defending yourself from?
Fags like you obviously, Innawoods, people are more of a problem than animals ever will be.
>>
>>1178177
>OP posed a question, is there a reason why one kind of opinion wouldn't be allowed?
Yes
>>
This is my innawoods gun. I have shot a a charging grizzly with it, I keep it loaded with slugs and has never failed me after years of abuse
>>
>>1178767
Terrible picture, my bad
>>
>>1178768
Just installed a Mesa tactical side saddle on it the their day, should have gotten one years ago
>>
File: 20170704_120331.jpg (2.24 MB, 1360x3264)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>1178767
>>1178768
>>1178771
Nice heres my innawoods shotgun, Its basic since im just a poorfag, but ive used it agaisnt some hogs and it works great
>>
File: 20170704_120355.jpg (1.62 MB, 3264x988)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>1178789
>>
>>1178346
>no threats
You are deluded. The mark of a simplton's perspective. Grow up.
>>
>>1178523
>ouch
>>
>>1178827
*oh, if you don't have the qd cups on hand, pay the price. Check the pic, the rear by the hinge is #1, but you may want options. And I have the std qd cups, so you can save through Brownell's.
>knowledge is pwr
>>
File: 20161217_105834.jpg (974 KB, 2560x1536)
974 KB
974 KB JPG
>>1178831
Lessee, any shittalkin' posts to respond to?

Nope.
>>
File: 20161217_105807.jpg (2.04 MB, 2560x1536)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>1178790
@
>>
>>1178064
>and nobody?
>>
>>1178790
I’m a mossberg guy, but Remington’s make good shit, except the express ones. Never get rid of that bad boy, how old is it? Is it a 3” chamber? What shells are always loaded in yours when you go innawoods?
>>
>>1178639

nice roleplay bro
>>
>>1178864
>never get rid
Police, average wood, poor finish, fixed choke, crap forestock, not much there.

Look for a Wingmaster.
>>
>>1168120

Not really, my firearms are primarily there for possible suicide.
>>
>>1178864
Its a police surplus police magnum, dinged up walnut stocks 3 in chamber cylinder bore no choke. i usually run high brass slugs when im out and it was made in the 80s pre all the bullshittery with Remington. Action is smooth like butter and its a great shooter
>>1179040
Is a faggot and has no idea what hes talking about wingmasters are trash and most cant handle 3in slugs unless its a wingmaster magnum.
>>
>>1179043
Same. If I get 127 hours'd I want to have a solid seppuku option
>>
>>1179040
>>1179072
i love wingmasters, but wouldnever get one unless its a 3" chamber. hell, a have a 1972 ithaca 37 that is a fucking gorgeous shotgun and i dont shoot it because its 2 3/4 only, and yes it slam fires also. just make sure your extractor is good before you go innawoods on your 870
>>
>>1168357
What is your knife?
>>
>>1178523
if you're in the US and not in subsidizef housing then that part of the lease likely wouldnt hold water in court.
>>
>>1168261
yeah, 20 and 30 something boys LARPing as outdoor enthusiasts that havent faced any real adversity in their lives haven't matured into actual men, news at 11.
>>
>>1179086
>127 hours

idgi
>>
>>1179072
>wingmasters are trash
>likes 870s, wingmasters are trash
Dismissed.
>>
>>1179854
Nowadays? yeah, wingmasters are largly garbage that gerneally dont have 3 in chambers and have chintzy furniture.

I like my 870 Police magnum, the furniture is already beat to hell so I dont care, and it has a 3 in chamber, its pretty straightforeward.
>>
>>1179858
I see. But mine are older classics and I have a 10ga double for ravens, sand cranes and geese. My 20ga is for the light stuff like rabids, dove and quail.

The 12ga is versital, but other gaugers have there place.

>facepalm, passed on a combo gun from pre-war Germermens: .22horny/28ga.
>friend's first show told me after he had a thou inna truck! I was only about $3 large short!
>>
File: 20180113_095432.jpg (465 KB, 1600x1200)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
>>1179893
>>
File: 20180113_095720.jpg (676 KB, 738x1486)
676 KB
676 KB JPG
>>1179958
>>
File: 20180113_095651.jpg (737 KB, 917x1317)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
>>1179959
>>
>>1179958
>the Holy Trinity
>>
>>1177064
>I wonder why
Police and government that does not actively fiddle with crime statistics for the purpose of political propaganda, as well as a large population.
>>
>>1177373
Private citizens are rarely allowed to carry arms in "da hood" (i.e. NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Baltimore etc.).
>>
>>1178085
>If a threat is remote, it's best to not think about it, like getting struck by lightning or getting decapitated by a deep woods serial killer.
This same argument could be applied to any other active or passive protection of your health and life. I suppose you do not own home insurance, wear a seat belt or wear a motorcycle helmet either?
>>
>>1178177
>In much of the civilised world, it would be quite strange to see people that aren't part of law enforcement to walk around with guns
The areas of the world you describe are not civilized in the least. Arming the strong and disarming the weak is literal stone-age barbarism that has no place in a so-called civilized society, in which all participants ought to have a right to preserve their life, liberty and property by default.

It is immoral to place unarmed men, women, children and elderly people at the mercy of criminals who, by definition, ignore the law and thus gain the upper hand, force-wise, in every confrontation.

It is right for the pensioner to shoot a robber. It is wrong to let the robber rob the pensioner blind.

> But again, owning a gun just because seems unnecessary.
One day, you will understand the savage nature of man - after all, one needs only glance back a few decades in history to learn about gross atrocities committed by regimes that exist - with minor or no change in the political landscape - to this day. Until that, I sincerely hope that you need not meet violence with violence.
>>
>>1180007
A valid question to people with an obvious anti gun agenda.

But dot let reason stop them to pause and think.
>>
>>1180011
>Arming the strong and disarming the weak is literal stone-age barbarism that has no place in a so-called civilized society,
Are you RAH reincarnation?
>>
>>1168332
I hate to break it to you but you will not be casting lead bullets for all of those from one mold.
>>
>>1168383
inb4 "I hike around Europe all the time and never have run into any dangerous animals" You guys killed everything off centuries ago...outside of Europe there are still actual animals which can attack you.
>>
>>1180011
That's a lot of melodrama

>>1180033
There's bears and wolves here but sure, this isn't the Yukon.
>>
>>1180041
How do you prevent a rabid, happy forest friend from biting you, throw a rock at it?

https://arizonadailyindependent.com/2018/01/11/vail-woman-bitten-by-fox-rabies-suspected/
>>
>>1168120
I think it should be a must when hiking a new area. Even if you read reviews, study the map and scouted the area, people are still fucked up, animals are still fucked up and I think that there is nothing wrong in protecting yourself. Specially here in the East Coast United States. For the most part most people have been nothing but nice and kind, it doesnt mean there isnt a crazy fuck out there.

I saw 9mm going through this thread as a popular choice but I would feel more comfortable with a .45 since it could also bring down wildlife or at least scare them. I also carry a nice concealed knife with me at all times.
>>
>>1168383
I see you got a whole raft of responses, with all manner of justifications. Fact of the matter is, most of us do it because we feel like it. And we can. It’s something we’re entitled to.
>>
>>1168120
I usually just carry a fullsize 9mm handgun, but when I'm LARPing in the hills I bring a rifle for fun and added weight.

I've come from /k/, for context.
>>
>>1170632
>America's abundance of them isn't doing you any favours.

More people die annually in car wrecks than by gunshot. Think how safe we’d be if cars were banned. Opioids kill about twice as many people annually as guns, maybe we should ban painkillers. That’ll save some lives! Alcohol takes very nearly 3X the number of lives per year as guns do, we should ban that... oh, wait, we tried that in the 20s and 30s. Guess what happened? Crime skyrocketed, and our cousins across the Atlantic happily smuggled us a bunch of booze.

Meanwhile, tobacco kills right around 16X as many people annually as guns, yet you fail to make any smarmy and snarky remarks about that. You do make some tepid commentary about “burgerfats”, which I guess could be taken as some snark about our obesity deaths- around 11X the number of gun deaths.

Why, exacty, are you compelled to bitch and whine endlessly about our guns? They barely make it into the top 20 leading causes of death in this country. We don’t incessantly piss and moan about your Muslim problem, how about you return the favor and stfu about our guns? Ok? Can you do that?

I’m glad we could have this little talk. Really cleared the air.
>>
>>1177060
Too late. We had a quorum. You also have to buy doughnuts for everybody.
>>
>>1179639
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/127_Hours
>>
>>1168334
This Bad Jackson right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRrFWQXl-RE
>>
>>1170632
But the US proves that gun control literally does nothing.
>>
>>1177064
Because 350 million people, of which 60% are white, also the US unlike many other countries actually has decent law enforcement; imagine how many serial killers are active in China right now.
>>
>>1178004
Why do people who don't own guns try to think they know the psychology of people who like guns? Honestly, being around firearms and using them demystifies them extremely.
>>
>>1178206
Ukraine is only a few hundred miles away from Slovenia
>>
>>1178206
>Europe is not a country.

Yet.
>>
>>1178523
try a x-22 backpacker stock.
>>
>>1176264
>I enjoy cucking myself
>>
I always carry a glock 20 in 10mm for bears or asshats, if I'm going hunting I take an appropriate rifle as well.
>>
File: 1499986751805.jpg (26 KB, 680x447)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1180611
>Best mm
>>
File: 1355718240370.png (88 KB, 1490x902)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
SKS inna truck
>>
>>1180522
So does Mexico
>>
File: image.jpg (1.23 MB, 2119x1359)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
24oz 44 mag. Have better bullets now that penetrate better.
>>
>>1179958
>a nice brace
Just makes sense to use different tools for different jobs.
>>
>>1181082
>gorgeous
A little muzzle flip never hurts!
>>
>>1169313
Yeah, I work county EMS where I live
>>
>>1168433
Is this worth it?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.