[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1499283639563.jpg (779 KB, 2048x1357)
779 KB
779 KB JPG
going to move to northern cali next weekend and i plan to stay in my car(4 door tacoma) until i find a place to stay. my car doesnt have a heater so i plan to use a portable propane heater. i know i must vent. been looking at coleman catalytic heaters ranging from 1000 to 3000 btu. will 1000 btu be enough. or should i go with 3000btu. would appreciate advice and tips from anyone whose done this sort of thing

pic slightly related. it can get pretty wet in eureka
>>
>>1170658
dude you dont need a heater
>>
You don't need a vent if you use this style heater, I have one in my Taco camper

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-57331-Olympian-Wave-3-Catalytic/dp/B000BUV1RK
>>
>>1170664
lol im from so cal. i need to stay warm

>>1170668
way too expensive. the coleman heater im looking to buy is going to run me about 100 dollars used on ebay. i caould go for the mr heater little buddys too big and might put too much heat out at 3800 btu. unless its adjustable, does anyone know?
>>
>>1170673
haha Im literally living in my car in norcal right now and been pretty comfy so far. Hasnt dropped below 30s so far and I dont think its gonna get too much colder.However I'm from Michigan so my tolerance for it may be different than yours I suppose.
>>
>>1170680
our winters are warm as fuck here. i can tolerate the cold, but i dont want to freeze. do you just get by with a blanket? any tips for living out of your car? where do you park? ever get harrassed?
>>
>>1170688
I have a sleeping bag and a fleece blanket that I usually put inside of my bag. Im pretty low key as I stay in a toyota sedan and cant really be seen unless youre right up on me. I had to stay around Sacramento for a while for a job and the cops are dicks but being from socal you probably know that. I'll stay in walmart parking lots, at the gym or in industrial areas. Im pretty happy to be getting the fuck out of this area and being able to camp normally again, which Ill get to start doing tmrw, but living in a car in populated areas really isn't too bad once you get used to it.
>>
>>1170698
do you ever get scared? ive been watching a lot of missing camper/hikers stories on youtube, not gonna lie, im kinda scared now lol

is it really this easy sleeping in your car during the winter in norcal?
>>
>>1170717
I cant really think of any time Ive been scared since Ive had a car. The only times I was actually scared it was really only my own irrational paranoia .Ive been homeless for a while and have pretty much gotten over a lot of stuff that used to bother me. If you dont want bad things to happen to you just dont put yourself in bad situations, it's really that simple bud.
>>
>>1170717
>>1170723
The only difficult thing about staying in the car in more populated areas is that food is logistically difficult. Usually I have a camp stove or can build a fire, but in developed areas thats not really feasible
>>
You fucking pussies. I’m from northern Canada, and have done it with a blanket and a few candles in my truck. It’s not rocket appliances
>>
>>1170658
Done that. Get a carbon monoxide detector. It'll probably go off. Condensation inside from your breath & the propane will be really bad
>>
>>1170723
good advice.what did you have to get over? i wont be broke homeless, but i have considered living out of my car for extended periods while studying to save money

>>1170725
eureka is in a pretty rural place. i plan cook on a propane stove out of the back of my truck by the beach

>>1170728
>rocket appliances
lol thats crazy. were you scared or is that something you guys do often?
>>
Southern Oregon fag here basically same place it's been a dry winter and very warm you're probably ok with the 1000 or just get a nicer sleeping bag
But do us all a favor and kys so Cali fag
>>
File: 1500172192466.jpg (35 KB, 484x497)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1170776
>>
>>1170658
Im living in van in albuquerque. 60s during day doesnt drop past 30 at night most days. Was actually considering driving to cali and living out of car there.
>>
>>1170796
the winters are warm in so cal, other than that there isnt anything much there thats not in albuquerque. except the coast if youre into that. nor cal is much prettier but colder, at least for me
>>
If your stupid car doesn't have a heater you can /diy/ a solution.

You can get a heat exchanger like the type used for biodiesel, hook it up to an oil-filled radiator, and make use of the car's cooling system to heat it up.

It should stay warm for hours. Or maybe consider a blanket.
>>
Why the fuck are you faggots living in your cars?
>>
>>1170878
>a valid question appears
>>
>>1170878
my parents dont pay the bills sweety:P

also, i just want to save money while i look for a place to stay
>>
>>1170673
I have the little buddy heater. Its 9k btu with 3 settings, pilot, low and high. Itll keep you toasty man, the heater and a 4 pack of gas runs about 95 bucks at lowes.
>>
>>1170673
>i caould go for the mr heater little buddys too big and might put too much heat out at 3800 btu. unless its adjustable, does anyone know?

I'm currently running my Mr.Heater "Portable Buddy" propane heater in the basement (Michigan here, where its 17*) and its rated at 3000 btu on low and 9000 on high (no med.) and even on low, that's way too much heat for sleeping in the back of a pick-up truck.
>>
Dude you're coming to live in fucking Eutweeka, and living in your car lmao? You're going to be broken into at least twice a week
>>
>>1171225
i bought a coleman catalytic heater rated at 3000 btu with an adjustable dial

>>1171261
im not staying in the city lol
im not stupid

i'll probably pitch a tent at a campgroud. i'll pretty much have it to myself
>>
File: 1511137865123.png (43 KB, 900x900)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
Jesus Christ OP it doesn't get much below 40 degrees where you're staying. Get a fucking 20 degree sleeping bag or a couple wool blankets and you'll be plenty warm in the back of your truck in those temps.
>>
>>1170658
>willingly moving to fagafornia
wew fuckin lad
>>
>>1170860
>implying a homeless fuck can even figure out how
>implying a homeless fuck can ever find the motivation to try
New hights on sides, anon!
>>
File: 1502431923334.jpg (69 KB, 591x594)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1170658
California Fag here, native to the Arcata region. Man this years been really light, not even any snow on the ground. Granted it gets cold. Lowest I've personally noticed this year is like 20 ish. Get a zero degree sleeping back with some warm blankets and as long as your inside your truck you should be fine.
>>
File: RealityCheck.jpg (38 KB, 439x428)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1171031

>this answer
so... once your parents were done paying your bills you decided, "i guess i'm homeless now" instead of getting a jorb. got it.
>>
>>1171593
all i do is work and study. since im moving, i plan to stay in my car until i can find a place to rent. i make my own way you fucking cunt

>>1171585
>all of cali is san francisco
you dont get out much do you

>>1171590
20 is pretty low even for arcata isnt it?
>>
File: sleeping bag.jpg (46 KB, 736x850)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1171282
>i bought a coleman catalytic heater rated at 3000 btu with an adjustable dial

A pic would be nice, but I slept in the back of a Ford Explorer last spring on a steelhead fishing trip to the Manistee River and it was in the low 30s at night and very windy and all I had was a medium weight polyester fill sleeping and I was plenty warm.

Still, I suppose it would be nice to kick on some heat once in a while.
>>
I just lived in a old Camry for a week in Santa Rosa area, you'll be fine man. Just a sleeping bad that's comfort level = 40ish and a blanket for emergency
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (125 KB, 1600x1000)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>1172012
this is it. i think its a coleman blackcat. it will make it possible to just chill under a tarp and take in the scenery from our camp

>>1172016
for what reason?
do you ever get harrassed by anyone, where do you park? santa rosa is pretty populated right?
>>
Ayy I'm already here Lad, I don't think you'll need a heater, it drops to like the mid 40s overnight, you could probably just bundle up.

>>1170680
Where at?
>>
>>1172056
the heater will help me transition to colder weather. are you from the area or did you fall for the college meme too:P
>>
>>1172005
>20 is pretty low even for arcata isnt it?
It sure is, I'm 30 mins south of Arcata and it's never been close to that for me. Maybe I just havnt been paying attention though

I'm surprised there's so many people okn /out/ that are in Humboldt
>>
>>1172061
Nahh I've lived here forever, atm going to CR but will be transferring to HSU in spring of 2019
>>
>>1172062
humboldt is so beautiful, it only makes sense lol

>>1172064
im moving up there to study at CR next week. so fucking excited
>>
>>1172068
Are you OP caranon? And CR is fortunately pretty cheap cheap
>>
>>1172072
yeah im car anon lol
cheap and beautiful. pretty sweet deal
>>
Why did you go to norcal when there are better shelters in socal already? You been to Anaheim near Santa Ana river?
For topic you just best get some cheap new comforters from walmart. That's going to be the cheapest and safest for you. Don't be an idiot and buy them used from goodwill as they won't last.
>>
>>1172090
im not homeless lol. just going to stay in my car a few days until i find a place to rent.
>>
>>1172099
checked the dubs. good luck
>>
>>1170680
Anyone from anywhere north of Maryland has a freakishly high tolerance for cold in my experience. I knew a guy from Chicago who used to go jogging in shorts when it was 10F outside. Fucking insanity. Those types of people melt in the heat though, and can barely tolerate anything over 80F.
>>
>>1172160
Yeah I'm in northern Cali, about 40.8 degrees north, and I feel that about the 80 degree heat shit
It blows
>>
>>1172241
I grew up near Atlanta, I don’t really feel the heat till it gets into the 90s.
>>
>>1172252
How cold is too cold for you in the middle of the day?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.