[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1324785766001.jpg (136 KB, 745x504)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>woke up at 7am
>water in glass near bed is froze over
>30F/-1 inside
>go to take hot shower but no water, pipes are froze
>-15F/-26C outside
>time to fire up the wood stove!

Thank god. I've been missing weather like this for years now. I love having half a foot of wool blankets on the bed and 2 feet of snow outside. This horseshit of the past few years with 60F winters and mud drove me nanners. I'm stocked up with extra water jugs and cocoa powder already. My wool socks are huge and comfy.

How's winter treating you, anons?
>>
File: acttemp_1280x720.jpg (137 KB, 1280x720)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>
Sounds like god tier living, OP. Camped out in the 0 F weather for a while to get used to my new sleeping bag. Planning some ice fishing for next week
>>
File: 20180103_084739.jpg (4.95 MB, 4032x2268)
4.95 MB
4.95 MB JPG
Got some flurries in North Florida
>>
Plenty of rain, not too cold but cold enough for it to be uncomfortable if you sit doing nothing.
>>
File: 20180103_084727.jpg (2.82 MB, 4032x2268)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
>>1171778
>>
File: 20171231_121415.jpg (4.13 MB, 4032x3024)
4.13 MB
4.13 MB JPG
Winter hiking > summer hiking
>>
>>1171813
>Winter hiking > summer hiking
Lol no.
>>
File: 1511708308004.jpg (10 KB, 260x194)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1171813
>>
>>1171773
>be southernfag
>get some time off work in January
>want to go backpacking for a few days out in Western NC
>fucking weather gets colder than my winter gear is rated for
>>
File: Pellet stove.jpg (109 KB, 1000x1000)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>1171772
Been cold here, normally -7F. Central heat by natural gas. Running almost every 20 mins. My bill is going to hurt. I need to get my pellet stove setup to help offset those costs.
>>
>>1171846
-10F this morning and the gaslines froze off. I've been without heat for like 6 hours until just now. I have bot electric and wood stove as backups.
>>
>>1171772
It's comfy for sure. But it's always ruined by having to go to work.
>>
File: snow-winter-dog.jpg (535 KB, 1920x1200)
535 KB
535 KB JPG
>>1171876
>not getting a small parcel of land in BFE, paid for in cash then selling enough crops in summer to pay for taxes and small expenses
>>
>8-11" forecast for tomorrow
>day off from work
Set that cruise control for comfy
>>
>>1171813
Amen to that. Nothing beats clear winter nights in the woods. Best stargazing ever, plus comfy cozy fireside cocoa.
>>
>>1171813
you're off your fucking rocker, m8
>>
>>1171846
>thinking like this

You _need_ insulation.
>>
>>1171772

Man I really wish there was an /in/ board for retarded ass threads like these. How come only northerners make these threads about hiding from the elements?

Gonna laugh when this evolves into southern fags talking about how comfy they are, firing up the A/C to hide from 110+ temps all day.
>>
>>1171845

I'm near Asheville. How about you?
>>
>family own many acres of property
>area has been a farm since around 1690
>stone walls and patches of wild apple trees pepper the landscape
>patches of dark cedar forest, swamps, fields of berries, streams, acres of ferns and paper birch
>at the edge of the property is a huge hill of about 100 acres
>farrow hayfield, still owned by a farmer from another town who hays it once or twice a year
>grew up in those woods. adventures, injuries, campouts, blizzards and autumn foliage, skunks and coyotes, finding old artifacts and stone foundations from the early inhabitants
>fight through the prickers and vines to gain access to the hill field
>magical place, endless weaves of long grass blowing in the wind
>views of the whole town
>>
File: CRW_0041.jpg (243 KB, 1228x921)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>1173329
>fast forward some 25 years
>billionaire oil family buys 200 acres of land, including the entire field
>promptly closes all the local ATV/snowmobile trails that pass over the hill
>they build a gigantic disgusting mcmansion atop the hill
>never again will i touch the grass, the milkweed, look out over the valleys and hills
>lazy snowmobilers simply go around, chopping and clearing a road through our property
>spent 18 months battling ATVs and dirtbikers making a round through my woods
>several signs, all defaced and vandalized, fences broken and logs removed
>local snowmobile club publishes their official trail map of 2018
>includes the route through our and our neighbor's property
>they take money from their members to fund destroying our land so everyone can trespass on it
>finally go to police, didn't want to have to do this
>police call snowmobile club
>anyone who passes through will be arrested
>trail is permanently closed, snowmobiling is canceled this year
>offer refunds on trail passes to their members
>feelsgoodman
ƒin
>>
>>1173256
I take it you missed all the cabin threads in /out/ over the years. Those are extremely /in/ and have no place at all on /out/. You can report them as much as you like and the staff will just tell you to stop reporting them.
>>
File: Chain Across a Trail.webm (2.72 MB, 720x404)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB WEBM
>>1173330
Christ, what dicks. ATVs enthusiasts are the fucking worst. They destroy so much shit around here. Two of them have been decapitated though when someone put up wires across all the trails. No one knows who did it since t hey put up wires on tons of people's lands along the trails.
>>
>>1173256
If you want to police content, go to Reddit. 4chan board "topics" are significant only for the groups of people they attract, i.e. the same people who are interested in cabin life are likely to be involved in countless outdoor activities (of which the cabin itself is merely the focal point)
>>
Finally we get a winter I can go and enjoy, but my boots are fucked up and water is leaking through the bottom of them and I cant afford another pair. Shit sucks
>>
>>1173414
put your feet in plastic. its a waterproof airtight layer
plastic sheets garbage bags grocery bags
>>
>>1173422
I do this regardless. The soles of completely waterproof boots are terrible. The last pair I had the heel of the sole was undercut by design. I ended up spraining my ankle so bad I couldn't walk on it for over a month. The material it was made out of was also slick as snot on regular surfaces. I went to take a step forward and since there was nothing there for my heel to make contact with, because of the undercut, my foot slipped and I got all mangled up. I had them for like 2 hours when that happened and I had to cut the boot off to get my foot out.

Now, I wear normal sneakers and thick wool socks with a plastic shopping bag over each foot before I slip them into the shoes. My feet have never been warmer or drier and the shoes never slip on anything, even most ice. The plastic bags make it much easier to slip the shoes on and off and I just trim the tops down if the bags are too tall.
>>
>>1171780
Look at him go!
>>
>>1172325
Why are stars clearer in the winter? Less particles in the atmosphere?
>>
>>1173407
Wow, like, full on beheaded/killed?

I think any off road vehicle user is human garbage, but physically injuring them is a little hardcore
Didn't realize wires were a thing bit it makes sense
>>
>>1173411

t.stays /in/
>>
>>1173422
>>1173424
Don't your feet get all nasty and swampy if they've been in plastic for too long? Seems like there wouldn't be any breathability at all like that.
>>
>>1173446
that's the point
its a waterproof airtight layer
if its below zero at noon its very nice to have the plastic layer

or if you are walking where your feet will get dirty water for sure it is normally better to get a little more sweaty than normal and keep that dirty water out.
I don't know about you guys but a lot of times if my boot got full of dirty nasty water my foot was probably going to be extremely itchy later that night and possibly a little bit of infection

I started wearing rubber boots everyday but still wear plastic for winter
I had problems even with dew on grass. If I was outside at 8 30 am or earlier the grass is soaking wet and the leather shoes got wet on the inside and stayed wet all day because nothing ever dries out here. I can wring out my shirt from sweat. desert inhabitants never understand
>>
>>1173430
Colder air means less light disruption. You can even try it with water.
>>
Well, it's finally starting to lighten up here in the North. Gonna finally go /out/ for the first time in 1,5 month. Starting off lightly with a 16km hike over some mountains. Not so comfy though since there are pretty much no trees until the last 5 or so kilometers, which means I can't get a fire going until I'm pretty much done with the hike.
>>
>>1173407
That shit is diabolical. I tried literally everything to stop them, spent so many hours and so much money putting signs and posts and fences and building walls of logs and dragged trees across the trail with a winch, etc. They just don't give a single fuck. You literally cannot stop them without a chain or piano wire.
>>
Gotta say, my favorite part about winter is the fact that there are no bugs.

What's your favorite part about the outdoors in the winter?
>>
>>1173446
Not me. Wool socks can be soaking wet and fine, but they don't get that way. I stay layered so I can adjust my clothing to remain a proper temperature even when working. So, I don't sweat like crazy. That's very important in the cold.

>>1173467
One summer I had to wear shoes all the time, normally I wear nothing, but my job required it. I had to walk through dew covered grass a lot and my feet stayed soaked all damn day. Changing shoes and socks didn't help since they'd get wet again. I got a toenail fungus because of that. It took 3 months for the nail to grow out and I put tea tree oil on it 2 times a day until it was 100% better. Now I always slip some bags on before going out, just to keep my socks dry. No problems at all now.
>>
>>1174537
the gear. I love down and wool.
>>
>>1174537
That is a pretty good reason, especially when you are a farmer. A harder freeze gets more pests. I like a good winter because I hate a muddy winter.
>>
>>1174548
there are these things called gaiters, goretex socks and lucotape
>>
>>1174558
The plastic bags are free.
>>
>>1173407
Hohohohoholy shit
>>
>>1174537
This, my least favourite part of camping is the bugs. But snow in general is super comfy, I can’t get enough of it.
>>
>>1174581
>be a piece of shit human for years
>have comeuppance for 10 seconds
>repeat
meh
>>
>>1171772
rained practically everyday so far
>>
File: taylor-yach.jpg (71 KB, 620x349)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>1173435
>Wow, like, full on beheaded/killed?

I didn't see it, but that is the word tossed around about the incidents. I'm sure you can google about it. Wire across trails is pretty common:

https://www.google.com/search?&q=decapitated+wire+trail

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1548300/Motorcyclist-decapitated-by-wire-across-path.html
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/16-ote/226745-atv-rider-killed-booby-trapped-trail-wire.html?action=thread
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1036930/First-picture-trail-bike-boy-17-killed-trip-wire-track.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/atv-quebec-accident-police-1.3734155
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/pulaski_man_killed_by_wire_acr.html
http://farmersforum.com/booby-traps-that-hurt-atv-trail-riders-can-put-a-landowner-in-jail/
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/13/border.wire/index.html
>>
>>1171772
>>30F/-1 inside
>>go to take hot shower but no water, pipes are froze

Retard, always keep it at least 40℉ unless you really like emergency plumbing jobs.
>>
>>1174736
PEX doesn't burst from freezing. It can still happen, but it is nothing like copper, pvc, and cpvc. For people who use wood stoves, those temps are pretty common in them morning. I wake up to ice in my water glass most mornings in the winters.
>>
>>1174747
>For people who use wood stoves, those temps are pretty common in them morning.

No, it's not. I heat with wood and the only time it's ever that cold is when I don't fill it up before bed.
>>
>>1174753
Pretty much this, banking the fire with hardwood before bed and before I leave for work is a necessity.
>>
>>1174753
>>1174780
My house gets to freezing regularly. It is a huge house and I have a small stove in the living room. I'd need to put wood into it 2 times at night at like midnight then at 4am to maintain a good fire/bed of coals. My bedroom is a floor away and on the other side of the house. So it is always super cold already. -10F outside and 39F inside the bedroom right now and getting colder.
>>
File: house frozen pipe.jpg (43 KB, 540x405)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1174801
Make sure you don't freeze any pipes anon! Freezing pipes are like a pet raccoon. It'll destroy both your home and your life simultaneously.
>>
>>1174804
see
>>1174747
>>
>>1174825
nevetheless
>>
>>1174801
>>1174804
Been trying to find the right way to design a cabin to stop this from happening. Where I know I can leave the cabin all winter without full heating if needed but not having to "winterize". Basically came up with having all piping be in the same area and have a tiny wall space about 36 inches wide to split the bathroom and kitchen sink wall. Work space if I need to work on pipes. Then heat up the middle room electronically so it maintains at least 40 degrees. With 2 small vents to under the kitchen sink. Then small floor heating in the bathroom. Again temp controlled but door is always closed. As long as the house has a battery backup/solar in case of power outage, or just off grid. There shouldnt be any issue.
>>
>>1174842
I have a well and pump. When the water freezes off, I flip the breaker for the pump to shut it off. Thank you for your concern though, you are a good person.

>>1174901
I've given it lots of thought and design, should I build another house. Basically, water lines are buried 3+ feet in the ground and only come up in the very center of the house, near the warmest rooms. From the ground up, they are well insulated and the ground itself is insulated with several inches of foam extended in a 10 feet radius around the pipes. All the pipes inside the cabin are to be as short as possible, so the design should allow everything from all sinks, toilets, showers, etc to be very close together. All pipes are insulated together so that the hot water pipe is close to the cold water pipe. Don't use insulation in the area that is being heated directly. You want as much heat to enter the pipes as possible.

Now for the technical stuff. Automatic water shutoff and system draining. Anytime the temperature drops to a certain point or the heating unit/electric/whatever shuts off when the temps are below a certain level, the system shuts the water off and drains the lines. That would require valves at every water access and a battery backup or always on relay valves that open/close the valve if power is out. I suggest using tankless electric water heaters for such a system. That way there's no 60 gallon water heater freezing off with a ton of extra piping to freeze as well. Backup heat should also be used, gas, electric, and wood stove. I have all those, but usually only use the wood stove because cool factor and super cheap with coppicing.

It always amazes me how retarded some people are in designing shit. all my water pipes are INSIDE the OUTER WALL. Yeah, they are pex, but god damn. I may get around to cutting those off and laying new lines where I want them, but I'm absurdly lazy.
>>
>move from northern california to south/costal Mississippi
>hear that it's going to be hot and muggy and everything's going to suck
>the other day it was 22F outside with a windchill of 15
>get layered up in wool flannel, patagonia and north face fleeces, USAF issue waterproof parka, wool-lined leather gloves, two pairs of pants, two pairs of boot socks, heavy boots
>go outside to smoke a cigarette
>still fucking cold

Every night for the last month has been cold as fuck. I love it when I have a heavy jacket, but since I moved I don't have any anymore. The most I can do is wear my patagonia and a wool flannel (can't wear parka most of the time). Shit sucks.

>tfw going to southern Illinois in two months for the next two years
>>
>>1175240
What part of Mississippi? I live in Lucedale
>>
File: 1513951652171.png (310 KB, 728x724)
310 KB
310 KB PNG
>>1171813
>t. someone who has never done a serious winter hike

Absolutely not. A quick day hike can be very enjoyable in the winter, but try overnighting in sub zero (f) temps and get back to me.

Any serious /out/ing is much more difficult in the wet and cold.
>>
>tfw the weather warms up and your water pipes finally thaw out and you can take a normal shower

WOOOOO

It is like 33F outside right now. I've been out running around in shorts and flip-flops getting a tan and swimming in the pond every now and then.
>>
>>1176728
The worst I've camped and hiked in was -25F in the mountains. There was 1 inch of snow on the ground when we went to sleep. I only had a single wool army blanket that was like 2 feet too short. When we woke up there was 6 fucking feet of snow on everything. The tent was all bowed in, nearly touching us (pup-style tent). We dug out and spent an hour extracting our gear and tent and trudged on. Thank fuck my grandmother insisted on us taking snow shoes.

I haven't had that much fun since the 1980s.
>>
>>1176807

>lying this hard on a anonymous chinese imageboard
>>
>>1171772
>wake up at 6am
>shut off my fan on my nightstand.
>walk over and shut off my window fan that brings in cool air from the outside
>take a nice warm shower.
>dress and walk out through the rain to my truck
>take note of the temp on it, a warm 54° this morning, before setting off for work, driving through rain for almost an hour.
Such is life in California
>>
>>1176849
Well, I did go into the pond, but I doubt I'll get a tan.
>>
>>1171772
sameshit in North east Europe- Latvia, use to have winters with -40 c and 1-2 metres of snow like 5 years ago, now its shit, its not winter, all forest get swampy because of the raining all year long now.
We can feel the climate change here pretty damn good,
i miss winter :( with those crazy snow storms and cold temperatures. Miss skiing and all the other winter things.
I miss the extreme
>>
>>1175216

Do yourself a favor and Google "frost hydrant"...
>>
>>1176936
I have 4 of them on my property. They all freeze off in the winter.
>>
>>1176809
You're lying about that cold. No way you survived -25 with just your layers and a wool blanket.
>>
>>1176866

Okay, anon.
>>
>>1171845
Are you sure it was winter gear? Or is that what they call windbreakers down south?
>>
File: Untitled.png (717 KB, 856x481)
717 KB
717 KB PNG
It is SIXY FIVE degrees outside right now. I have all the heat turned off, all the windows open, and I'm sitting here in my shorts eating 3-flavor sherbet.

For some reason the map says it is in the 40s here. Retarded weather map.
>>
>>1178426
tfw it is 51 degrees right now and had to get a sleeveless shirt from the bottom of the clean shirt pile
>>
It is in the upper 50s and rained today. I love winter but damn I forgot how good rain smells.

If this is global warming then bring it on, fucking awesome weather for January.
>>
>>1176956

Then there's something wrong with them. Either they aren't draining or they are still getting water.

>>1176965

I'll come to his defense somewhat, I used to have this thing about sleeping in the cold, and I would sleep all winter with my window open and a cattle fan blowing on me. One night we hit -30F and a neighbor down the road even had a horse freeze to death in the barn. I slept through it like a baby. It's definitely possible to sleep in those temperatures.

That said I had a stack of blankets under me, about 4 layers of clothes on including some very high grade thermals, and 6 heavy blankets a feather tick and a comforter above me. I also had to wrap my feet/hands/head in their own blankets because there would become painfully cold if I didn't. He's full of shit about the ill fitting blanket being enough.
>>
I've always wondered how people that live in very cold climates such as the Dakotas, Alaska, etc. deal with frozen pipes. It seems inevitable that your pipes will freeze up in those temperatures. How do you prevent them from bursting and destroying your house?
>>
>wake up
>in hawaii
>75 degrees, high of 80 somethinf
>same weather all year
>seasons???
>go to beach on new years

Haven't had a proper winter in years desu m80
>>
File: 885.gif (937 KB, 600x608)
937 KB
937 KB GIF
>>1179748
Sounds dismal.
>>
>>1179737
Proper house design, heating, and location of pipes. Lots of the stuff in >>1175216 are used.

>>1178946
>Then there's something wrong with them. Either they aren't draining or they are still getting water.

You can't buy a frost hydrant here that is long enough to get down far enough into the ground to go below the frost line. That's the only problem. Another problem is that people who install water lines in the ground seem to be fair weather planners. Like they say 18" is the frost line for his area which is utter bullshit when it is -40F for a week of nights and -15F during the day. All of mine are 3 feet down, but will still freeze. At least the pipes, in the ground, don't burst. I need things 5 feet down, but then the frost hydrants won't be able to drain at all due to the water table being pretty high in the area.
>>
File: 1514785330886.gif (2 MB, 438x302)
2 MB
2 MB GIF
>>1177756
not that anon but I'm from the triad area near there. the windbreaker comment was spot on
>>
>>1171772
Where's the Kraft dinner in this pick?
>>
my dog keeps walking on the pond and falling through the ice. comes inside smelling like swamp and covered in mud. he enjoys it. typical newf
>>
>>1179925
>Like they say 18" is the frost line for his area which is utter bullshit when it is -40F for a week of nights and -15F during the day. All of mine are 3 feet down, but will still freeze.

Holy shit, that sucks. Mine is buried at 5 feet and we have never had -40 cold. It's been years since I had to replace it, but I had to order mine special and then I stripped it down and replaced a lot of the internals. I wish I could tell you more, but I'm at school and can't get any information on it. It cost me almost$200 but I would definitely spend it again for how well it works.
>>
>>1179918

I've come to notice mostly loners/NEETs prefer winter camping over summer camping. Something about summer camping seems more preferable to sociable people I guess.

It also comes to no surprise that the majority of people on /out/ prefer winter camping.
>>
>>1176809
>>1176965
all that snow atop the tent insulated him, and kept him warm. Could have been a comfortable 50f in his tent.
>>
How to get started winter hiking and camping?
>>
>>1180145
>buy Microspikes and gaiters
>research proper layering
>start in early fall and hike regularly until winter conditions are achieved
You'll learn as you go but do research first. Sectionhiker.com has a whole series on winter hiking but it's more mountain oriented so a lot of it is overkill depending on who you are. Best advice is to be careful and respect the conditions. Research frostbite and hypothermia and go with a buddy where possible.
>>
>>1176965
You should probably try going out and camping in the winter, sweetie.
>>
>>1171813
Good hard cold weather is perfect. Snow everywhere makes the forest an acoustic megaphone for the slightest noise.

Up here in Ely, MN. This winter has been good, replicating what winters used to be and should be - cold. Hiking in the cold is good because as you keep moving you keep yourself warm and if you get too hot you peel off a layer. Only concern is hypothermia but if you're intelligent with the clothes you wear you're fine.

The deep white forest is something most people won't see because it's "too cold." Definitely worth it
>>
>>1173435
If they were going fast enough on a motorized vehicle (unlike the bikes in the webm), and this was a very tense, thin steel wire that absolutely could not loosen from the force of a neck, then it is absolutely possible that it could behead or at least essentially slit their throat beyond even immediate surgical repair.
>>
>>1171772
Been thinking of copping these for a while now but I have no idea if it's worth the money. I only want this over the Swiss one because it's tan and more /fa/. Anyone got any advice?
>>
>>1180297
thumbnail kinda looked like sankara stones
>>
>>1180072
This actually seems pretty accurate. Lots of antisocial people on 4chan.
>>
>>1171813
All I want is nice 30f weather with lots of snow. But around here its either been tolerable 30f with no snow, or snow and miserable 2f. I want to do a comfy snowy forest hike but it just sucks here.
>>
>>1180342
Low teens is comfier in my opinion. You can wear a fleece or a shell while hiking hard without sweating your balls off.
>>
>>1180329
I really think it is the difference between introverted and extroverted, but not social/antisocial. Anti-social means you are actively pushing people away in a negative manner ("get away from me fucker!"). Introverted means you just need a solitary down time away from people for a while ("going camping alone, see you next week!"). It is like you recharge while alone, whereas extroverted people recharge while around people. There are actually extroverted people who are very antisocial and introverted people who are very social. People who go camping alone, regardless of the time of year are normally introverted.
>>
>>1180342
>>1180511
I like it frosty and snowy in the single digits F. This is because the snow is more powdery while the crystals are sharper and glint in the sunlight brightly. It makes for some very nice visuals. The sound of the snow underfoot can actually squeak instead of crunch. The snow is dry enough that it will still land on branches while there's not much wind, but it won't pile up so much that it breaks limbs or topples trees. Snow drifts can be a problem if there's high winds though. The only real downside is for children who want to make snowballs, snowmen, snow sculpting. The high 20s F are better for that.
>>
>>1173407
People should do this more often on their own property, just need to put up some 'gate' signage before in some hidden spot to make it legal.

Altering someone elses property however is very disrespectful, and I hope they find who did this and press charges.
>>
>>1180557
Actually, that full video shows that they pass those type of signs before reaching the gap chain. That chain isn't for hurting anyone, but it is very illustrative of what goes on other places.
>>
File: 1-14-18 tent1.jpg (331 KB, 1704x1278)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
Tested out my new tent/bag in my outdoor patio last night (don't really have a backyard).

Temps down to 8F, 20 mph winds, blowing snow/frost.

Woke up this morning about 5am when my feet starting getting cold (wore wool socks/long johns/wool hat). I have a short sleeping pad (goes from shoulders to knees), and the area under my feet was a sheet of ice inside the tent.

And I noticed the frost inside the tent walls, which I assume is mostly my condensed breath and farts.

Wasn't comfortable, but if I doubled socks I would probably be okay in similar temps in dry conditions in real /out/.
>>
My recently installed shower is in a part of the house that isn't heated yet. I took a shower the other night and my sandals froze to the floor when i stepped out. So i had to run across the floor barefoot losing a layer of skin as my feet stuck to the floor. Shit sucked.
>>
It's 70 degrees out here in Arizona, pretty comfy. I've lived here all my life and moving somewhere cold sounds shitty. But in the summer when it's 110 you wanna leave
>>
>>1180571
Did you leave your door zippers partially open to let out the condensation?
>>
>>1180571
you inspire me. I might try my gear and see if it can take the cold. If it holds up to that, all I want it to do.
>>
>>1180735

No. It was so windy I needed the wind break. But I figure I would have better moisture control if I could stake the rainfly out (which I can't in my patio).

>>1180753

Forecast next weekend near me is high 35, low in teens. I'm going to do a 20 mile loop and see what happens.
>>
>>1180571
Tents are normally only for windbreaking, rain sheltering, and privacy. They will hold a bit more heat than not having one, but it is such a small difference that you may not really notice it; if there's no wind at all outside. Thus, you need to bundle up pretty good inside the tent. The more people you pile into a tent will help to raise the ambient air temperature a little more of course.

>doubled socks

Don't do that. It can be very dangerous. What happens is that socks reduce blood flow to your feet. Doubling them will make this worse. You can wake up with frostbite on your toes as a result. If you absolutely think you must wear socks when sleeping, get a pair of heavy weight, well oversized wool socks and stretch them out to make them looser.
>>
>>1180760
well the clothes hold up fine. sweats,jeans,toboggan,flannel n sweater. I'm test the tent and sleeping bag when the snow gets here.
>>
In southern spain for a few years so winter is well, not winter.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.