[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 72 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

What are all these things over europe?

Whenever I check out random patches of woods in Europe, they always have these big squares cut out of them. Zoom in on random american woods and you don't see anything like this.
>>
>>1172076
> Whenever I check out random patches of woods in Europe, they always have these big squares cut out of them.

Selective logging?

> Zoom in on random american woods and you don't see anything like this.

Because we just clear cut the fuck out'a everything.
>>
>>1172076
Woodlots. They are cut down in a special rotation pattern to maintain constant growth. They are probably coppices or pollards.
>>
>>1172082
Do we really still clearcut? I remember reading somewhere the amount of woodland in America has actually increased
>>
Somewhat /out/ related:
Night walks in the city. Is it safe? Do you take walks at night? Should you bring anything special?
I want to start taking them to clear my mind, but I also don't want to end up dead.
>I'm in Norway so I think I will be fine.
>>
>>1172087
Everyone clearcuts where I live. It is fucking terrible. Like WW1 trench fighting terrible.
>>
>>1172103
not at all /out/ related. >>>/trv/
>>
File: cubes.png (2.47 MB, 1474x981)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB PNG
>>1172076
>>1172134
well here in the US we like to cut in one square mile increments. leave the rest to regrow for a couple years and repeat.
>>
>>1172076

Look a lot like areas where they have been cutting peat. I saw it a lot when flying over parts of Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of5cWjD9CKg
>>
>>1172076
The aliens are trying to tell us something, OP
>>
>>1172244
This >>1172134 is also in the USA. Laws vary from state to state and company to company.
>>
>>1172103
It really depends on your city, I live in a quiet surburb in a wealthy farming so I take nightwalks all the time, if I lived in a poor part of the city though things would be very different
>>
Do jackboots have any good specific uses when youre /out/, or are they just outclassed by rubber boots?
>>
How can I get the skill set of an eagle scout if I'm 25?
>>
>>1172076
Restrictive logging. Can't even snap a twig without a permit.
>>
Really beginner question here, forgive me.

On a budget, wanting to get into overnighters in a temperate climate (late spring to early autumn in the UK).

Would I be able to get away with a 28L pack, I did some googling and some other people have asked and then the responses have all been people saying they wouldn't leave the house for a daytrip without a 60L pack, minimum.

I'm trying to think of what would actually go into my pack.

Besides my toiletries, spare layers, food, nested cookset and sleeping bag, my large bulky items (water, tent (I'd be using a 3x3m tarp with hiking poles to make an enclosed tent space), sleeping mat would all be on the exterior.

Or am I wrong? Thinking about ordering one of those cheap 28L MOLLE packs, they do a 40L as well I believe but I think that'd be too large and I'd like the option or using it as a general day pack without it being huge)
>>
Sunglasses recommendations please
>>
>>1176775
anything cheap that blocks uv and is comfortable.
>>
>>1176330
28L is a not enough for a multiday hike, but might do it for an overnighter. But I would take a good 50L pack (and certainly not a mole retarded tactictal heavy tryhard mall ninja pack)
>>
>>1176891
50l for an overnighter is hilarious, my dude.

You'll be fine with a 28L, in summer temps you can get away with just a bivvy bag if it's not raining.
>>
>>1176330
>>1176893
>too new to know what size pack to get
>having gear small enough to overnight out of a 28l pack or being comfortable with the discomfort of leaving everything behind
unlikely. get a 40-45l.
>>
File: 1474596331565s.jpg (6 KB, 250x173)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
I have raw skin I need to turn into calluses ASAP. How do?
>>
>>1177017
We're talking an overnighter in a temperate climate in the Summer.
He could go out completely naked, no food, no water, no means of cooking or collecting water, and he'd be fine. His list of gear looks pretty exhaustive for an overnighter, and with the heavy gear slinging from the exterior of his pack, he'll have plenty of room in the actual pack. I'd just recommend throwing in a secondary tarp or ground mat since you'll be lacking a ground mat, and getting a cheap waterproof ruck cover because I can't imagine those cheap tactical bags are very waterproof.
>>
>>1177430
Just woke up and realised all my sentences repeat themselves.
>>
>>1176330
Go to REI and get a pack within your budget OP, as enticing as the cheaper packs are, they're very uncomfortable.
>>
>>1177233
do whatever it is will cause calluses and keep doing it until calluses form
>>
>>1172103
>Norway
How is this even a question, of course you will, I don't think Norway has fallen to Malmö tier shithole, has it?
>>
>>1172103
You are in litereally on of the safest places on earth. Take all the walks you want
>>
>>1177501
Not so true, I saw so dude injecting themselves at night in randoms parks in Oslo and Bergen.
But still, the guy should go out at night.

And I stand my ground : a 40-50L backpack is more suited for overnighter. I did some overnight in with my 30L, but it was completely full, and I was not carrying the food. It is true he can do it with his retarded mole 28L but something like a 40+10 is best suited for overnight.
>>
File: 0489037246.jpg (234 KB, 752x768)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>1172076
These are possibly tree nurseries or bee hives etc. pp.

i can speak for germany: our woods are Industrial forests.
>>
>>1172103
Unlike the US we don't have third world conditions in our cities [spoiler]yet[/spoiler]
>>
>>1177430
he CAN, that doesn't mean he SHOULD. it will be much more comfortable to hike with everything secured in a larger bag than with everything hodgepodge strapped to the exterior by someone inexperienced who will likely lash them too loosely and imbalanced.
>>
>>1177597
Fair though US wilderness is fucking huge compared to Europe.
>>
Do you guys carry first aid kits in your bags? What do you feel like is overkill and what is being prepared? I have some Neosporin, Ibuprofin, bandaids, gauze and tape for bigger cuts and a pint bottle of hydrogen peroxide which I'm not sure is good to store in a backpack.
>>
>>1177889
leave the hydrogen peroxide. otherwise that's my kit.

be prepared to be attacked by the sam-splintfags, though.
>>
I just got a pair of Tingley steel-toe wellingtons. I do landscaping for a living, so I wouldn't wear these everyday, just on days I know I'll be ankle-deep in water or snow. Will these last me a while or are they Walmart-tier?
>>
>>1172244
How is this achievable? Over here most forests are privately owned and the plots of land are in all kinds of shapes and vary in size from under an acre to 50 acres.
>>
What is your morning routine /out? When I wake I like to boil some water for a brew, keep some hot water aside for a shave, drink a hot brew, stash a hot brew in my kleen canteen, maybe eat a little porridge, brush teeth. All this while I pack my bedding and refill my camel bak bladder from water bottles. Ready for the next few hours walking. Do you have a morning routine? How long does it take from when you wake to when you are walking?
>>
>>1176891
>mole

I got one of those 28L MOLLE mall ninja packs and I can live out of them for 2-3 days. Granted I live in a place that's pretty much always summer.
>>
>>1172103
Living in a place with a moderate and increasing crime level I can tell you pretty much everyone will leave you alone, don't carry anything that you don't want to get stolen, except your phone, make sure nobody is following you and if you do scared don't be afraid to call the cops, also NEVER carry a bag, that shit is like the perfect thing to steal, everyone keeps things that are valuable from phones and tablets and drugs to things that are even just useful like lighters and usb cables, EDC bags are just "mug me" targets
>>
File: cuneo.jpg (10 KB, 438x438)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
i use pic related to break my wood, which is often full of nodes so my normal axe doesnt do shit
problem is, im kinda small guy so to get results when macing it i need to go full power and sometimes miss, rarely breaking the handle. am i using the wrong tool? if i were to use those heavier axes to break wood would i achieve better results? is there a dedicated hammer that doesnt break that easy?
>>
>>1179928
Sledgehammer
>>
>>1179947
what kind of material on the handle? im using a sledgehammer with wooden handle right now, breaks
>>
>>1179948
Idk anything better then wood. Are you missing? cause wrapping the handle in ductape can spare you a broken handle once or twice.
>>
Does anyone have that infographic about the transceiver? I remember it being a specific one, and I lost the pic
>>
>>1172076
Cucksheds.
>>
anyone have experiance with Wechsel tents?
i am looking at the weschel Aurora 1 but all reviews and such are in German
>>
I'm interested in traveling on the bike and wild camping in Europe during spring or summer.
Question: should I get a tent so I don't have to deal with bugs or I can get away with sleeping under open sky or with tarp over sleeping spot?
>>
File: FireSafetyPepe.png (524 KB, 600x533)
524 KB
524 KB PNG
What skills/certifications do you need when applying to be a wildland firefighter? Serving on a conservation corps this season but planning on applying for the 2019 fire season.
By the time I get out, should have WFA, S130 and S190 (with experience on prescribed burns), and chainsaw certs.
Anything else I should have other than fitness standards for a good chance to get hired?
>>
File: northAmericanRiverOtter.jpg (241 KB, 1024x683)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
Some river otters are destroying the fish population in my gf's grandma's pond and she wants them gone. I checked with the local authorities and I'm all good to shoot them, but I've never shot an otter before. How does one go about harvesting its meat and pelt? I've heard their pelts are very nice and I wouldn't want to waste the meat.

Pic related.
>>
>>1180337
>hobbies: cooking
whether true or not. suggested by a former cdf bc.
and if you can arrange practice interviews DO IT.
>>
>>1177889
Honestly that’s pretty good, replace hydrogen peroxide with alcohol swabs. I honestly just bought a kit. No shame in it because it was cheap
>>
What the fuck is going on in this thread
>>
>>1180397
>he doesn't know what a qtddtot thread is
welcome to 4chan newfriend
>>
>>1180397
metamemeing
needs 10y exp to do it
>>
File: 20180114_134111.png (2.21 MB, 1030x1636)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB PNG
Last night I did my coldest weather camping so far. Got down to °15F and 70% humidity. One other time I did it with a low of 22°F. I woke with my feet/toes very cold on the 22° night. But last night I woke with my toes numb from being so damn cold, almost painful. I have a cheap magellan brand 20° mummy bag. The rest of my body was perfectly warm, very warm in fact. Shortly before going to sleep I put on clean thick wool blend socks, some 100% synthetic socks on top, and put slippers on too. And i had synthetic fleece blanket doubled up wrapped around my feet inside the bag.

Wtf, any suggestions? Think it's just the way my body is?

Pic related, near my campsite from yesterday.
>>
>>1180180
no one? well, i ordered it, will report back if we have a tent thread then
>>
>>1180337
Wilderness ems
>>
>>1180775
>wilderness ems
>anon already said he has WFA
>giving advice when you don't read or don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>1180727
Dont camp next to water, especially flowing water
>>
>>1180779
>thinks dinky first aid is adequate
Plebe
https://www.nols.edu/en/coursefinder/courses/wilderness-emt-31-format-LEMT/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnOzSBRDGARIsAL-mUB0ZE1F_1v7yyUD5M0-4NZMnQrGSiyU8JqvjgdZecmzV4xKLTB8P1x8aAhlqEALw_wcB
>>
>>1180782
for wildland fire fighting it is.
>>
>>1180790
Until you actually get rekt, and he's trying to looking good on an interview maybe he should do more than average
>>
>>1178555
Northwest Ordinance and Township and Range Act during the Jefferson administration set up all of the land west of the Appalachians on a grid pattern. The amount of thought the man put into organizing the expansion of the nation was staggering.
>>
>>1180366
You'll need to trap them if you care about the pelt. I can't imagine otter meat will taste good at all.
>>
>>1180780
Wat?
>>
>>1180801
with what he has and the position he's seeking interview skills>slightly better piece of paper. they're looking for hot bodies who will work well on a team. which is why i told him >>1180369
>>
>>1180808
Are you familiar with how an air conditioner works?
Cold flowing water acts like a giant natural AC
>>
>>1180780
Oh, so that's why just my feet were cold. I just won't fish for catfish while camping anymore. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>1180835
Just don't camp so close to the water
>>
>>1179928
Use more than one wedge, and a heavy sledge. The weight of the tool should do most of the work.
>>
>>1180727
Warm water bottle next to your feet at night?
>>
>>1180369
>>1180775

Thanks anons. I'll look into getting ems, but at the very least will have WAFA
>>
>>1177889
You can buy crazy medical supplies off Amazon. I'd get a medical staple gun just in case and for fun
>>
File: images (12).jpg (21 KB, 384x384)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1177889
Hemostatic Pads are the best
Ketaprofen(pain,fever)
loperamide(diarrhea could kill you)
This is ever present at my bag
Pic semi related
>>
>>1176775
Knockaround makes stylish cheap sunglasses. Most models can be polarized. I broke dozens of pairs of cheap sunglasses and finally got a pair of those and they're still going strong
>>
HOW DO I STOP THE STRAP FROM TWISTING WHEN I PUT ON MY BACKPACK AAAAAAAAAARGH

IT IS THE BANE OF MY EXISTANCE
>>
>>1177889
>Do you guys carry first aid kits in your bags?
First - I have no formal medical training. That said I keep a first aid kit with the following contents in my pack:
>4 large fabric bandages
>4 knee-size fabric bandages
>4 nonstick gauze pads
>1 roll medical tape
>1 tube triple antibiotic ointment
>2 pairs latex gloves
>4oz 70% isopropyl
>12 kratom capsules
>1 white bandana
>1 blue sharpie marker
>>
>>1177889
paper towels
electrical tape
2 little packages of blood clotting powder
>>
>>1181422
have you tried not being a fucking retard?
>>
>>1181493
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!?! PLEASE PLEASE JUST TELL ME

I ALWAYS TAKE ON THE LEFT STRAP, THEN SWING ON THE PACK. BUT THEN THE RIGHT STRAP TWISTS

IT. IS. AGONY.
>>
>>1181500
sorry, you're a lost cause. you'll just have to give up backpacking.
>>
>>1181500
This: >>1181515 (If you continue being a little bitch about it)

Otherwise, untwist the strap after you put the backpack on. Have a friend or relative assist you if needed.

But seriously, stop being such a little bitch about it. I promise you won't die from twisted straps.

t. Landscaper who uses a backpack blower and has untwisted many straps
>>
>>1181500
Put on the left strap. Then reach your right arm back over your shoulder and grab the hand strap on the top of your pack. Use that to pull the rest of the pack onto your right arm, adjusting with your free left arm if need be
>>
anyone have a good brand for a general use outdoor cap? id love one with some sort of built in sweatband thing for when it's hot as fuck. otherwise I've been looking at under armour stuff but not sure how rugged they are.
>>
>>1172134
>>1172087
>>1172082

Clearcuts are a well established silvicutural method and is actually the only way to regenerate some forest types.
>>
>>1181515
>>1181517
>>1181533
IT ISN'T THAT EASY WHEN YOU HAVE A LARGBACKPACK WITH THICK PADDING! ALSO TANGLES THE STERNUM STRAP!
>>
>>1172087
It has, but not in forest form. It's just regrown in mid/upper class suberban yards. Worthless in an ecology view
>>
Would Rowan tree be good for a kuksa? Or does it have " open pores " as some say you should avoid in kuksa carving
>>
File: 1510811210845.jpg (117 KB, 540x540)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
What do you do to stay fresh when hiking?
I have oily skin and sweat a lot.
Wet wipes? talc powder?
>>
>>1182022
i have a baltoro 75 and an osprey poco plus, i have plenty of experience with big packs with thick straps, and i have never had a problem with twisting that couldn't be resolved with one hand and no help in under 3 seconds.

>>1182240
hiking i just deal with being sweaty until i get home to a shower. backpacking i use these
>https://www.waterwipes.com/us/
no residue or smell, and if they're good enough for baby shit (which is what i started using them for) they're good enough for my feet.
>>
>>1181871
Outdoor Research makes a ton of different hats.
>>
File: 1514633251420.jpg (36 KB, 400x400)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Just realized my new cold weather synthetic sleeping bag is much too big for my 45l bag. I should have just spent the extra money on a down sleeping bag and a compression sack, shouldn't I?
>>
>>1182260
Doesn't really matter bc you were never gonna go cold weather camping anyways. amirite?
>>
>>1182260
Just strap it to the outside of your ruck in a waterproof bag. Problem solved, problem staying solved.
>>
>>1180727
Did your feet sweat in all those layers?
If so then there's your problem
>>
>>1180869
Gonna try that, or the heat pads that you boil. But The only problem I see with that is when i camp solo often I go the mornings that I work off of night shifts and I'm passed out by 9pm and sleep till 9am or so, so I don't think it'll help for 12hrs of sleep.
>>1182330
I'm not sure. But thought I'd be good bc it was all synthetic, no cotton. I used more layers this time bc my feet were cold the time before, and it was even colder out this last time.
>>
>>1182523
Best to pay attention as much as you can and shed layers if you start to sweat.
Also if your layers were constricting, that can lead to a chill as well.
I bring my extra layers into the hammock with me and only put them on if I need them.
What shelter type were you using?
>>
File: 20180116_222129.jpg (34 KB, 464x280)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>1182606
>>
>>1182643
Ok. You shouldnt be that miserable.
Do you have a good insulating mat?
You seem to have plenty of layers so maybe start with less and add as you go while making sure they aren't very tight fitting.
The hot water bottle will help for a little while but shouldn't be a must.
I agree that being close to water means lower temps but should still be tolerable.
Do you get a lot of condensation in your tent?
In cold weather being dry is a top priority. All the insulation you can carry will do fuck all if you're dealing with moisture.
>>
>>1180727
Sounds like bad circulation. If it is there's not really much you can do about it other than keeping your feet close to a heat source. Also, you should be careful not to have your legs and feet too snug, since that will hinder nocturnal stretching and twitching that aids circulation and will make the effects of sweat worse.
>>
>>1176330
Pack size for an overnight is goi g to be very similar to the size for a 3-5 night, or a thru of a long trail. The reason for this is that the gear requires for overnight is significantly higher than a day hike, but once you have it, you can go pretty much anywhere.

Gear you would usually want for an overnight:
>Sleeping Bag
>Tent, hammock or bivy
>Sleeping pad
>Water filter OR at least 6 litres of water

The sleep system alone takes up a lot of room. Really only an experienced and dedicated ULer would be able to pull off such a small pack. Unless you want to go completely without shelter, which us a bad idea for a variety of reason.

Besides, why limit yourself anon? The gear you'd use for an overnight is much the same as you could use for a full weekend, or weeks on a trail.
>>
>>1177889
Alcohol instead of peroxide. A needle and some thread. Moleskin is more handy than you'd think. I also like to keep a couple powdered Gatorade packets in case I get sick days from civilization. Loperamide just in case. Quik Clot for severe trauma. Bandanas, for splints covering sunburned skin, tourniquets, staunching, etc.

Just some ideas. Depends on the location and activity mostly.
>>
>>1172244
Oh. /brit/ here, always thought that was a Google Maps glitch
>>
>>1182251
>backpacking i use these
Thanks, what about stinky feet?
>>
Assuming you're backpacking for a month (25-30km/day) and sleeping /out/ during that time, how much money do you think one would need a day to have cheap but still comfortable trip?
>>
>>1183583
did you read my whole post?
>>
>>1183698
Yes, do you suggest using wet wipes as well?
What about the stinky shoes? should I put some inside the shoes?
If I were alone I wouldn't mind the smell, but I'm backpacking with a girl, so...
>>
>>1178555
north america has no shortage of empty wilderness even today.
>>
>>1177889
>Do you guys carry first aid kits in your bags?
Does anyone not do this? That seems like a really stupid risk to take.
Mine contains
-Cotton tips (Q-tips) x 25
-Band-Aid (Plastic) x 4
-Band-Aid (Cloth) x 4
-500mg Paracetemol x 4
-25g Stingose Gel x 1
-Latex gloves x 2 pair
-15ml 0.9% sodium chloride eye irrigation x 2
-Large wound dressing x 1
-5cm x 4.5m conforming bandage x 1
-Triangular bandage x 1
-Scissors x 1
-Safety pins x 22
-CPR face shield x 1
-1g antiseptic cream x 3
-Benzalkonium chloride wound wipes x 3
-Medical adhesive tape
-Tweezers
-110ml SPF 50+ sunscreen
-75g insect repellent

Is there anything else i might need? I carry a lighter for leeches, but do you reckon I need Hydrogen Peroxide Solution for wound sanitising etc.?
>>
>>1184159
Neither does my country, but I fail to see how it is related to my question (which already has been answered)
>>
>>1184145
are you sure? because the last six words of it were
>they're good enough for my feet
and i love everything about my shoes except, holy shit, do they make my feet reek.

as far as unstinking your shoes, these won't help. just leave them outside your tent. and i wouldn't bother with anything like dryer sheets because i figure they'd be more successful at attracting critters than anything else.

>>1184187
>25 qtips
lol. thanks for putting that first so i know i can ignore you.
>>
>>1184281
Critters fucking hate dryer sheets. They know something is wrong when they smell them and avoid.
>>
>>1184187
I have allergy medicine, ibuprofen, Immodium, a burn gel packet, and waterproof medical tape.
>>
Somebody knows something about next season of Alone tv show? I'm slowly getting hyped.
>>
File: ss-georef.jpg (89 KB, 179x316)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>1172076
Can you just find a torrent for more detailed GPS maps? I have a Garmin 600 and I was wondering if some kind person has just uploaded a backroads maps or something but I can't seem to find any.
>>
>>1182240
Yikes.
>>
Does anyone know how to identify a genuine Austrian IMCO 6700 lighter? Apparently you're supposed to check for an IMCO PAT stamp near the gap for the flint but some pretty obvious Chink fakes seem to have that now

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.