[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Last thread is dead so I’ll make a new one
>personal favorite boot
>boot you recommend
>boot you recommend for new hiker
>>
>>1177116
>>personal favorite boot
>>boot you recommend
>>boot you recommend for new hiker
>>
From dead thread:
So my issue is I had surgery on my ankle and it is very weak
What boots should I pick up with good ankle support
>inb4 hiking isn’t the thing for you
Fuck off letting shit hold me back is pathetic
>>
File: phaserbound.jpg (91 KB, 724x683)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>1177116
>personal favorite boot
merrell phaserbound
>boot you recommend
one that fits and is comfortable
>boot you recommend for new hiker
one that fits and is comfortable
>>
File: V5j3Rpm.jpg (113 KB, 1087x725)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
I've been using this on trails in the parks around the city.
Surprisingly good and nice that I can wear them afterwards
Wouldn't use them for real /out/ing but they do well when going out for some fresh air
>>
>>1177130
Trail runners. You need to retrain your ankle stabilizing muscles and strengthen your tendons. Take it slow and ramp up over time. If you use tall boots like a crutch you'll never get better.

Low shoes for practice, big boots for big trips.
>>
>>1177149
I’m currently in physical therapy
>>
>>1177131
Composites?
>>
>>1177181
in regards to what? toe cap is just rubber, if that's what you're asking about.
>>
>>1177136

I believe you have to be 18 or older to post to 4chan.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.44 MB, 4032x3024)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>1177116
From time to time people are asking about work boots here, and I just got a fresh pair of these Pumas.

Can’t say enough good things. I hate wearing big heavy steel toe boots around all day. These are composite toes that feel like athletic shoes, makes a big difference at the end of the week.

Best thing about the Pumas is I manage to get 8-9 months out of them, most other athletic type ones were worn after 4 and destroyed by 6 months. This is ly 3rd pair of these.
>>
>>1177136
Ok trail runners guy, very funny....

We get it, you think instructing people on how to get injured is fucking awesome and all but clearly you know fuck all about actual ankle function so it is time to stop trying to hurt people on /out/. Go post Crystal infographics on /k/ or something.
>>
>>1177215
That may be the gayest fucking thing I have seen posted on 4chan to date.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.17 MB, 4032x3024)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
>>1177217
Welcome to 4chan. I suggest you try another board for your first day so you can really see how this place works.

>>>/s4s/
>>
anyone have experience with Schnees or Whites boots? I was thinking about saving up and getting a pair eventually.
>>
File: Merrell Thermo-6.jpg (161 KB, 900x900)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>1177215
>>1177219

I’ve had a pair of Merrell Thermo-6 boots for 10 years now, as my going-to-and-back-from-work winter boots (machinist here) and they’re still in great shape.

In the shop, I just wear whatever black New Balance running shoes I can get on sale, with a pair usually lasting me a year before they get demoted to lawn mowing shoes.
>>
>>
File: wigger.jpg (6 KB, 225x165)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>1177325
>>
What’s everyones thoughts on the
“Timberland Men's White Ledge Waterproof Boots”

Seems like a good buy for a first timer. Allthough I don’t want to get something shitty and would rather drop the dosh for I’m going to be doing week trips.

I’m still intrested to see if these are a good alternative to recommend noobs
>>
File: 91joEV56DgL._UX395_.jpg (28 KB, 395x270)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Do Merrell MOAB2 make good /out/ shoes?

I bought a pair at a thrift store for $4.

they were pretty much brand new and never worn as the soles were clean and unmarked.

they did smell a bit like smoke though, maybe the previous owner was a smoker or the house caught fire.

should I be worried about the sole crumbling as I don't know how long they have been stored lol
>>
File: IMG_4162.jpg (191 KB, 1000x667)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
I want to get a pair of shoes that I can wear every day and on /out/

how do red wing heretage boots work out for these? can they hold up for work as a furniture removalist and to wear on my days off or when going /out/?

thinking of getting these ones because they are pull ons
>>
>>1177427
Meme boots but sure. In my experience the sole life is ok on soft surfaces but concrete absolutely eats them. If the rubber on the sole is overly shiny or feels hard dont buy them. Merrel has shit tier stitching and waterproofing also so beware or prepare to hop on the endless warranty loop.

>>1177428

If you are prepared to take care of them sure. That said the heritage stuff is fashion geared.
>>
>>1177428
Why not just buy one of their work boots? The Heritages are marketed at hipsters and are priced as such.
>>
>>1177427
Great entry level hikers.
>>
File: 20170610_142500.jpg (2.58 MB, 3264x2448)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
Been using a pair of Belleville army boots with all the snow lately and they have kept me warm and dry.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 640x640)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1177428
>paying more for the fashion line when you are planning to do actual work instead of just getting work boots.

I shiggy....
>>
i just buy the cheapest boots walmart has in stock and that fits well so when i destroy them in three months i don't care
>>
Altberg defender
Good ankle support
Waterproof enough but dry fast
Light
Side and heel are good for wet grass
.i put thinner laces on mine because it’s not that cold at the moment and I get a tighter fit, also you can pick them up very cheap basically new on eBay because they are British army issues
>>
File: Terra GTX.jpg (775 KB, 1073x715)
775 KB
775 KB JPG
>>1177116
The ones that fit the best. I didn't want these but they are excellent.
>>
Got the 5.11 Shields that I ordered today, but my toes ended up feeling pinched so I'm gonna have to return them. Should I go up a full size or just a half? I was able to get them on, but not comfortably if that gives you an idea of the fit. Any advice for buying shoes online that doesn't result in months of bujying and returning?
>>
>>1177625
I work at 5.11, the ATAC boots are typically a half size too small. Just exchange them for a larger size.
>>
>>1177427
hard to beat for $4. i tried them on when i was shopping for boots, and they were generally comfy, but i didn't like how soft and flexible the sole was for what i needed boots for (light crampons).
>>
>>1177648
I'm a little skeptical of "hey, I work here" anons, but thanks, I'll try moving up half. Now to wait a month for the new ones to arrive I guess.
>>
>>1177547
Love Bellevilles. Really wish they made more boots with replaceable soles tho.
>>
>>1177817
Technically any cobbler can just chop off the outsole before hitting the midsole and glue another sole on.
>>
>>1177550
these are brill , keep my feet dry no matter the conditions.
>>
>>1177556
Scarpa's used to be bomber, now they aren't. Still good but the leathers are trending like Vasque.

>first pair of Sl's 10 years

>sl m3's 5 years

>sl active's 18 mo

>hey, these zambelains are nice
>>
File: 20171017_174031.jpg (1.26 MB, 3264x1836)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
Aaaaand im still gonna shill!
>>SKELLERUP ASHLEYS
>>O H Y E A H
>>H
>>
>>Y
>>E
>>A
>>H

These are great, absolutely waterproof

I swear i dont work as the product marketing manager for skellerup,,but have you also looked at our hiker rubber boot?
>>
>>1177485
>>1177548
I like how they look and how they are just a Chelsea pull on style.

might get them resoled to have a full commando Vibram style
>>
>>1178138
Dickies and CAT among others, both sell Chelsea / Dealer style work boots. They're a lot cheaper than those stupid soy line Redwings.
>>
>>1177817

You can resole all of them except for the "sneaker boot" style.
>>
>>1177116
For hiking in South Florida, should I get hiking boots or another kind of shoe?
>>
Hey /out/, it’s been a while since I’ve been here but I was wondering, since I hace to get a new pair of boots, are these type worth it? I have good experiences with the brand but those alpine hooks look rather frail in my opinion.
>>
>>1178361
Hete’s another picture
>>
So my girlfriend just bought me these. I can wear them in public without being seen as a fag, right? They're actually mad comfy and look pretty good, so I don't think people would give it a second thought if they didn't have the UGG logo.
>>
>>1177419
I wore a pair of white ledge everyday for 4 years. I had to buy a new pair every year because the interior would tear and the outsoles were soft and wore down to nothing. Only switched this year because I went to a timberland outlet and I guess they lied that they don't make them anymore which pisses me off
>>
>>1178373
>>>/fa/
>>
File: shoes.png (1.01 MB, 730x947)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
Just got myself a pair of Lowa Renegade. They are pretty comfy, way more than i expected.

Will see how they hold up but i'm pretty happy about them so far.
>>
File: garmo178251_99993_jb.jpg (40 KB, 450x363)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1178530
Just look at all those seams and that fake-ass synthetic leather. Fucking disgusting, step in a puddle and I bet your socks are wet in seconds. Get a real boot ya pansy
>>
>>1178536
Time will tell
>>
>>1178361

What looks frail about it?

Everything looks pretty sturdy to me
>>
>>1178373

Who cares what people think dude
>>
>>1178373
>>1178569
Don't listen to him he just wants you to make a fool of yourself
>>
File: 2017-01-14_10-27-50.jpg (607 KB, 1600x1200)
607 KB
607 KB JPG
Haix KSK 3000, posted them a few threads back, now with some more experience

(+)very sturdy, plus thick leather and no overly intricate design, after a year of quite some abuse (rocky terrain) I see no significant damage yet, I do regularly cream them though
(+)best grip on the soles I ever had
(+)no excessive sweating in summer, no freezing in winter, then again it rarely gets above +35 or below -10 (that's 14/95 in burger) here, don't know how they'd perform outside that range
(+)waterproof

(0)soles are 5-6cm thick - great when stepping on stones, but I'm already 1.90m so it feels a bit awkward and there's an increased chance of bumping my head on doors
(0)take ages to break in, but now fit like gloves, never got any blisters or so but then again I'm not too prone to that generally

(-)Quite expensive (€200), one size bigger and they would've been €270 even.
(-)Somewhat heavy (bit over 2 kilos/5pounds the pair), not much of an issue personally though
(-)Outer sole is a bit soft so I've already walked it down quite a bit, but can apparently be resoled affordably by the manufacturer if need be

Overall breddy content, now that they're broken in I also use them more and more for stuff like gardening, walking dogs, or generally through snow

>>1178530
Had them too some years ago but not for too long (feet still grew a bit so they ended up too small eventually), and almost every 2nd person I know has a pair here in Yurop - they're quite decent for lighter hikes (on-trail) and general autumn/winter weather wear (lightweight, easy to break in, somewhat water-repellant), but IMO not that durable for the price (€160-ish)
>>
>>1178361
The best fitting/feeling boots I've ever had are this style. If you can figure out how to rip out an eyelet you win. If you like the manufacturer, give them a shot.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with these Dutch army boots? Are they okay for 40-50km hikes (30 miles)
>>
>>1178731
They strongly resemble the pre-2002 German ones. And while I have no experience with those myself (only ever wore the 2002 and 05 models), the guys who had to wear them were usually happy when the aforementioned heel-padded successors were introduced
But maybe with thick wool socks, or double regular, they could work
>>
Just bought these, I doubt anybody here has even heard of Schnee's but apparently they're some of the best boots out there.
>>
File: IS-00867-1-pdp.jpg (61 KB, 500x500)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Opinions on Red Wing Trailblazer? Durability is key for me, I only want to buy these once and run them into the ground. Ankle support is also a must for me
>>
I’m going to be going camping for five days with some friends in BC. I’ve never been too far off a trail before, but this is way out in nowhere (apparently). Will these boots work? I already own a pair and don’t really want to buy new ones.
>>
>>1178606
Looks very similar to the Lowa Combat boots that I'm considering. The bonus /fa/ggot point for these army boots IMO is that they look normal enough for almost every occasion. I'm torn between the Haix and the Lowa.
>>
>>1178950
Duck boots are awful for hiking. You'll be miserable.
>>
Never worn boots before but I've always wanted to.i saw these are Wal-Mart for 20 dollars and decided to buy them.only wore them to work for two weeks now.they stain very easily but are not damaged except some thread is coming out by the sole on the outside.

I have flat, wide feet so finding shoes that fit isn't as easy.
>>
>>1179079
Thanks. I’ll pick something else from this thread, then.
>>
>>1177116
http://www.meindl.co.uk/assets/uploads/slider_images/_460w480h/bhutan-mfs.png
>>
>>1178228
After some googling I've found out that most people here hike in sneakers, and I should buy ones that drain water and dry quickly. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1179319
Whatever fits your shape best, it heavily varies between manufacturers and models
>>
>>1177556
Got the exact same pair, loving them so far. So comfortable.
>>
>>1177419
They are comfy, but the leather seems super thin and the sole wears down fast. I wore mine for about 6 months before dumping them for something better.
>>1177428
Have you considered danners or Chippewa's? I consider to still be fashionable but actually capable boots.
>>
>>1179118
>>1178846
>>1178760
see >>1178536

Seriously, if you want a boot that will stay dry for a long time you need to get something with a SINGLE PIECE LEATHER UPPER. Seams are literally there just so they can make the boots using smaller pieces of scrap leather and cut costs, if you are spending $200+ on a pair of boots there is absolutely zero reasons it should have seams. Unless you are climbing some serious mountains, in which case you'd want plastics or some fancy $500 mountaineering boots with better insulation, treated leather is the most durable, waterproof, warm, and just all around best boot material you can find. It's very cheap if you are buying used. If you are trying to go ultralight, don't even get a boot. Get a pair of light, breathable trail runners that offer good support. Pic related is a classic.
>>
File: K7t1Tu6.jpg (433 KB, 1920x1080)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
>>1177217
>gayest thing on 4chan
try /s4s/ or /k/
>>
>>1179387
>broscience, the post
Do you have any idea what your're talking about? Did you work in REI for a summer, so now you go spouting off bullshit on 4chan? Gore-Tex goes INSIDE the boot, so it doesn't matter how many seams are on your boots.
>>
>>1179458
Faggotry, the post. Seriously how can you shitpost when you don't even know how to greentext properly? Also gore-tex or any of these other membranes are gonna WEAR OUT. For one, the repellent (DWR), which goes on the OUTSIDE and is responsible for the cool looking water beading effect, will wear out quickly from abrasion and regular wear on the outside of the boot. The membrane, which is on the inside and gives the fabric its breathability, will also become less effective as it becomes clogged with dirt and oil from the skin. W/B jackets are generally pretty easy to clean and re-treat. Boots are not. So perhaps you should stop shilling for fucking fag-tex for five minutes and maybe take some time to try out a few of these products for yourself before you hop on the internet and start blathering like you actually know what you're talking about.
>>
>>1179458
Not him, but too intricate designs will tear upon more quickly, exposing those inner layers which will then get fucked next
>>
>>1177428

You don't want pull ons when you're hiking

Your shoes need to be tight (laced) otherwise you'll get movement and you'll cut the fuck out of your feet if you're walking all day with weight on your back.
>>
>>1179472
>try out these products for yourself
I guess my 30-day/years in the backcountry don't count for anything, lmao. One, I'm not sure what kind of hiking or backpacking you do, but I do heavy backcountry hunting in the Sierras and deserts, and two, how long do your boots last? Mine last 3 years of heavy usage, and I don't mean faggot trail hiking, I mean rock scrambling on game trails and packing shit out.
>more greentext because go fuck yourself
>>
>>1179472
>>1179537
lmfao for real you're the one telling people to get trail runners for hiking, I'm not even sure why I bothered replying to somebody who gets most of his experience from YT vids
>>
>>1178950
I don’t know about hiking but I’ve walked miles in mine and love the comfort of them. I feel like they’re quality enough if you find them comfortable and keep them tight
>>
>>1179118
I used to own these for working at my family’s plumbing business when I was in 5th grade. I actually remember liking them and beating the shit outta them. They do stain though for sure. I remember helping someone make a quickcrete driveway and the shit wouldn’t come off.
>>
>>1179547
>hunting in the Sierras and deserts
I'm sure that qualifies you to speak on the waterproof quality of your boots anon.
>>
File: wps-.jpg (112 KB, 861x485)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
Would my steel caps (on the left) be decent for /out/Ings or do I need to get something more tacticool?
>>
>>1179830
looks fine to me. Word is though steel toe will tire you out. But if you dont go for long outtings or if it makes no difference i say go for it.
>>
>>1179830
Just get normal hiking boots. Those will suck.
>>
>>1178115
I wanted a different brand but these fit the best by far. I wore them around the world. My pair is holding up very well. I walked through Europe, in the pyramids through swamps in Vietnam on motorcycles in china, camping and hiking in new york and daily. They are still basically brand new.
>>
>>1177550
Good answer. I've got the civvy version but in a thinner nubuck finish, even lighter and I've waxed them now for better repellency.

I wish they made a proper mountain boot though. The Mallerstang take C1 strap-on crampons but are heavy, I want a proper heel welt for some semi-auto C2's then I can use my Grivel G12s with them.
>>
>>1179453
>Plays Charr
>Bad Dragon Dildos

This is too easy.
>>
>>1179060
lowas are great for ankle support, especially awesome on steep declines, never get wet unless you manage to pour water inside and very durable with the nikwax treatment, downside is they are heavy, and you will get funny looks in populated areas as I find they go beyond the line in socially acceptable size in foot wear (not kidding)
>>
>>1180219
Thanks anon, I guess it comes down to the Lowa. I couldn't care less about what people think, my job allows me to wear casual work clothes all the time.
>>
>>1177219
They look fucking horrible.
>>
>>1178731
I do, they're fucking terrible.
Most uncomfortable boots I've ever had, if you value your knees don't get these.
>>
File: boots1.jpg (816 KB, 1704x1278)
816 KB
816 KB JPG
Vasque Breeze GTX

I got them on sale for like $120. This pic is from a while ago, but they've but a good light, dry comfortable boot.
>>
>>1180529
Be aware that neither the Haix nor the Lowa are safety boots though, if work requires those
>>
File: Mugger_crocodile_2.jpg (297 KB, 800x533)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
Need a good spring/summer boots. One day rocky terrains mostly, doesn't need to be waterproof but it's ok. Preferably light.

Budget round $80.
>>
Any anons had experience with Zamberlan boots?

>amberlan Ultra Lite GTX Features:

>Hydrobloc® full grain Leather Upper
>GORE-TEX® Lining
>VIBRAM® ZAMBERLAN STAR LITE Sole
>Weight: 545 grams (size 42)

I'm looking for a pair of leather boots that weigh no more than my old salomon 4d boots
>>
>>1181478
Looks awesome and zamberlan has a good reputation as a maker of mountaineering boots.
>>
>>1181589
I've heard their customer service is shit and the quality has gone downhill since moving production (Same story everyyyy time)

My local Tiso doesn't stock them but they do have another model so I'm going to try on a pair and see how my foot fits their last.

I was looking at Altbergs as I have wide feet but the nearest stockist is over 100mi away
>>
File: 8817830026.jpg (42 KB, 440x407)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Lost these in Serbia, and replaced them with the european version of the Lowa Renegades.
These were slightly better, imo. Probably the best boots I've ever owned.
>>
>>1181440
Bump you /out/ists.
>>
>>1177550
I've just been issued these, any warnings? I've tried them for a few hours already and no hotspots yet.
Do you use the wax Leder-gris with them?
>>
>>1181620
Yeah they're great if youre happy to replace your boots every year.
>>
>snap femur in half years ago
>walk weird ever since
>now always end up splitting the soles and stuff after a short while because of this

can i get some stronk boot recs
>>
>>1182430
Can you get one boot oversized and get an insole with a lift in one of the boots? I had a friend who shattered his femur in youth and that's what he needed.
>>
>>1182432
sounds like it could work, ill give that a shot
cheers m8
>>
>>1182434
>>1182432
PLEASE RECONSIDER! It puts more strain on your toes and its less secure on the heel. Could work with some boots but I did exactly what you mentioned and had a bad experience with that method.
>>
>>1182434
I should add that he went to a doctor of some sort to get these insoles custom made. I'm not sure if that's an option for you, but Dr. Scholl's or w/e probably wouldn't work the same.
>>
>>1182188
?
Definitely never had that problem
>>
>>1179453
I knew you Charr players were furfaggots
>>
>>1181440
For that budget I would say Merrell shoes for warmer weather are your best bet
>>
>no pastebin/guide/etc
>no recommended links
>no get this at [x] price range and get these at [y] price range
>no boot news

do you guys like being asked the same questions in each thread?
>>
File: 69311_tundra.jpg (240 KB, 1200x1200)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
Opinions on Alpina Tundra boots? How would they suffice for summer hiking?
>>
>>1183608
oh, yes, because a fixed list will work perfectly for everyone. really, it would just need to be a link to a page that says nothing but
>go try them on and buy what fits, retard.
in giant flashing letters
>>
>>1182511
I've been through two pairs in three seasons, I'm the anon that was asking about zamberlans, and that's the reason I'm going back to leather boots.
>>
Walmart Tredsafe steel-toe slip resistant boots
>>
File: 81WSu8Mwb0L._UX395_.jpg (22 KB, 395x293)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Need recommendation for lightweight mid/high boots with mesh or anything for breathability. Will do trekking this summer on Adriatic coast and it gets freaking hot there so no all leather boots.
>>
>>1177216
No, stay away from /k/.
Do not listen to this poster.
>>
Any problems with the moccasin style toe? Looking super comfy.
>>
>>1183597
I was thinking the same thing. Moabs or some others?
>>
>>1184144
Salomon Quests
>>
>>1178950
Should be fine, just pack some spare socks so you can keep your feet dry and comfy.
>>
>>1184372
Other than that?
>>
>>1184385
I don't know, but I have a pair of Quests and they'll work great for what you're doing.
>>
>>1184144
Are you native in that area? I'm not, just a German tourist that has been there a couple times (Rab and Split), and even in August it rained cats and dogs despite hot days inbetween (never saw such intense rain at home), or both on the same day - very changeable weather down there, it could be 35°C with burning sun after noon, only to have it cool down to 20 with monsoon-like downpours an hour later. Only ever went on beach holidays there, but if I were to return to hike, I'd definitely go for something waterproof.
Sweat isn't an issue if you use wool socks and change them daily, and take out the insoles (get a good absorbing one) after the hike in the evening to air out.
>>
>>1177116
are columbia's a meme?
>>
>>1184391
What about these horror stories of psychotic de-soling on eighth mile of one day trek? Or is that an isolated incident?
>>
>>1178373
I mean, I'd never wear them because they're UGGs, but if they're comfy who gives a shit? If you're worried about what people will think of you for wearing the brand you belong on /fa/.
>>
>>1184494
>Bugaboot

lmao
>>
File: 1810032__1.jpg (63 KB, 1000x1000)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
didn't want to start a new thread but do you think catipillar dynamic pants would make good /out/ pants?
>>
>>1184555
i would wear the heck outta those just around the house and /out/ they look real comfy
>>
>>1184555
a) just start a new thread, dumbass
b) it's hard to tell for sure how thick the material is in the pic, but it looks a little heavier than i prefer.
>>
>>1184555
>catipillar dynamic pants
They are skinny jeans equivalent for tradsmen on site.

No belt, and zip pockets bound to fail.
>>
Hello /out/, nice board you boys have

I need a light boot that's gonna last for dog walking through fields and muddy paths

What's the best I can get for a 100?
>>
>>1185054
For such rather non-taxing use, unironically gum boots would be by far the cheapest and most durable option
>>
>>1185060
I agree with you but I find wellingtons to be the most uncomfortable boot in all creation
>>
>>1185060
+1 love my gum boots. They are my go-to footwear for outdoors in the muddy spring. For 100 bucks you can get some nice ones.
>>
>>1185064
The cheap ones are pretty uncomfortable. I have one with an adjustable strap and I also threw a gel sole in the bottom and it's great.
>>
>>1182511

Salmon makes their shit in china and notoriously fall apart. I got a pair of Quests and they shit out on me in 5 months.
>>
>>1184495
>>1184391

no its true, they are shit. mine desoled after about 5 months of walking and 10 fishing trips. I treat all my boots well, I have pairs that are 10 years old, those things are shit and I will never buy another pair from them again.

They look cool though.
>>
I got my second pair of 5.11 shields today, after returning the first for being a bit small. These have what feels like ample toe room, I can steel feel the end of the boot with my toes though. Even after untying and undoing the zipper are these supposed to be so hard to pull off or should I return again and try another notch up? I've never owned a pair of boots quite like these before.
>>
I wear a pair of these for work (steel toe). How are they for out? Mostly just camping, horseback riding, and shorter hikes (5 miles).
>>
>>1186465
>steel toe
Might work for up to mid-tier /out/ use, but there's a reason hiking and combat boots never have them - unnecessary weight and reduced breathability, plus its end might rub against the skin
>>
>>1177130
like other anon said you really dont want to wear super high boots that dont let your ankle get stronger or else it will be weak forever.
>>
I picked up a pair of Salomon Ultra GTX's and they're ridiculously comfortable. For just basic hiking, these things are miles better than my Merrel MOAB's.
>>
>>1179387
Alternatively, you can just wax the seams...
>>
>>1188073
What constitutes basic hiking?
>>
is it true that you should be going for low tops rather than hightops when it comes to out shoes?

supposedly cos lowtops make your ankles develop to be stronger or something?
>>
I have these, M90 Swedish Military Boots and i fucking love'm

All i ever read about them is how much people hate them and i don't understand
At all
>>
>>1186465

I have a pair of those and they're very heavy. Great for protecting your feet when working but I would not want to hike in them.
>>
>>1177427
Good shoe in general.

>should I be worried about the sole crumbling as I don't know how long they have been stored lol
Yes, and potential for just being worn in. Don't get used shoes.
>>
File: image_10_1735.jpg (176 KB, 1300x900)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
Bundeswehr Kampfstiefel 2005 is pretty good though, I really like it. I won't recommend it for a long hike though but for a beginner hiker it's pretty good for shorter hikes. I usually wear Lowa Zephyr for longer hikes and I quite like it, I've been interested in Salomon quest 4d and would like to try it if I had the money to buy it.
>>
>>1188230
Bought them a while back, and while overall very comfy (compared to the 2002 model I had been issued back in conscription days, which wasn't too bad either), the standard inner sole that comes with it should be replaced immediately, hard as a rock. Also the profile can be quite slippery on ice or wet rock.
Later bought the KSK3000 which is superior for heavier hikes, but takes longer to break in and is twice as expensive
>>
>>1186465
>Horseback riding

Too much tread for my taste, bit that shouldn't be much of an issue if you're only doing casual trail rides a couple times a year. More importantly, the sole may or may not be too wide to actually fit in a pair of stirrups. Make sure they have adequate clearance before you show up to ride.
>>
>>1186465
>>1188870
I should add: Good riding boots will make shitty walking boots, and vice-versa. Different needs for different activities.

So if you're ever looking for something dedicated, get a pull-on of some kind with a narrow, smooth (or smooth-ish with the more modern ones) sole with a distinguishable heel.
>>
I love my Nike SFB. Ultra light weight, breathe great. Good desert/mountain boots
>>
File: irish-setter-838-p_01.jpg (17 KB, 400x400)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Just got these yesterday, Irish setter wingshooter 838. Wore them around the house. Super comfy. The mocassin toe is great. Replacing my old rockeys that were about 10 years old.
>>
>>1189186
what are the benefits of a moc toe?
>>
What are the cheapest waterproof 8inch boots avalible in the UK?
>>
>>1177427
Bought Moab 2 Ventilators! Will try them out when spring kicks in and during summer.
>>1184490
>native
Yes.
Those downpours were isolated incidents. Happened last three years, but other than those few days, we can have entire summers without a single cloud. Anyway, I'm a native, so I don't care, it's not a problem.
>>
not into this stuff but answer me this.

boot looks like rubber claims to be rated -148°F

looks made of rubber?

during Korean war, solders lost toes in rubber (duck boots) because rubber made feet sweat then sweat froze.
>>
>>1188149
Use low shoes for mild hikes and high for serious. You'll develop your stabilizing muscles and then get the added stability of a boot when necessary.
>>
>>1189834
I would stay far away. That claim is insane.
>>
File: Puigsacalm (1500m).jpg (293 KB, 1024x768)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
I've never been on this board before, but since next year I'm going to be going up some mountains and stuff because of Uni, I'm thinking of getting some trail shoes. That way I'll also have them in case I feel like going hiking someday.

I've been meaning to get some Salomon or New Balance trail running shoes. Are these good? I have pretty strong legs and even with my Adidas Pureboosts I didn't twist my ankle in last years' hiking activities, but I'd like to up my game. Something lightweight, with grip. And if it looks good that'd be fookin great.

Anyways, pic related. The tallest place I'll be hiking over to this next year Puigsacalm, besides from Vallter 2000. Also I'm Yuropoor, so if anyone has any specific advice...
>>
>>1189849
or wear low for everything, like i do, or high for everything, like my wife does. whatever you're comfortable in.
>>
>>1189860
on trails or cross country? trails are pretty forgiving, but cross country you'll want a stiff sole to spread your weight over rocks and roots and aggressive lugs to bite in mud and grass.
>>
File: 4l kit.jpg (716 KB, 1800x1808)
716 KB
716 KB JPG
>>1177116
I'm an ultralighter so I just spray on some Raptor truck bed liner to the bottoms of my feet.
>>
>>1189865
It'll be trails, the most I'll run might be on the way down from time to time just for the kicks of it. I know I might just do with sneakers since I'm a casul but I've had some slips with sneakers that I'd like to avoid in the future.

But yeah, trails mostly or even entirely, it is Uni after all, most of them would die in the mountains otherwise e_e.
>>
>>1189880
just about anything marketed as a trailrunner by a reputable brand that's comfy will do you, then. they'll be at least slightly stiffer and grippier than a street runner, and lighter, more breathable, and generally more comfortable than a hiking shoe or boot.
>>
>>1189883
Noice. Then I'll check some local shops and get some that I like and are comfortable.

Thanks a lot man.
>>
>>1189702

Just a less restrictive toebox. I feel a little less clumsy with them on compared to my old rockeys. The front face of the toebox on these boots is very, very rigid and firm, like an impact resistant layer. Not unlike a steel/aluminium toe. Not sure if they will go away with wear and tear however, but it helps in the rocky/rooty terrain I'm usually in with regards to the toe stubbing that can happen.
>>
>>1189886
fo sho. but fair warning, probably within the next hour some other anon's going to come along saying i'm a retard and you need boots for reasons x, y, and z. and standard 4chan bickering will ensue.
>>
>>1189834
>>1189850
>Liner: Removable, multi-layer inner boot system featuring double B-Tek insulation,a double aluminum insole and a waffle-comb foot-bed
They are insulated and meant for cold weather. I don't know wether they're really good to -100°C.

I understand you're talking about these boots here.
http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_clothing_combat_ww2_shoepacs.php
These relied on wool socks for insulation, that degrade with moisture. Insulation that is shielded from it, like these here
http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_clothing_mm_boots.php
or closed cell foams like neoprene, or just very heavy felt (that can absorb a large amount of moisture without degrading) like in finnish rubber boots all work around that problem.
>>
>>1189942
that's the kind of information I was looking for, thanks for that!
I was trying to understand how vintage vs modern and breathability came into play.
>>
>>1189886
Inov8 makes some with pretty decent tread. Not sure if they are available over there.
>>
Are milsurp boots good or memetastic?
>>
>>1190489
Depends on what you're looking at.
A lot of them are pretty terrible for actual hiking.
>>
>>1190489
Modern boots with their goretex and their pu cushioning age poorly. Old boots with leather and solid rubber soles can be useable, but not for hiking.
>>
i bought a pair of Dewalt Newark boots for work this week. Anyone had experience with these? I bought them because they're apparently waterproof
>>
File: 39483_1.jpg (113 KB, 1000x1000)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
meindl borneo all the way.
absolute durable, fine looking,
perfect for hiking in every season and
will last you a life time
>>
>>1190674
officially they are not water-proof, but just put beeswax on them and you can actually stand in water without getting wet feet
>>
>all the heavy as fuck shitkickers ITT
>>
>>1190489
Got 2nd hand Yugoslav JNA boots (at least 20 years old) and wore them for hunting for 5 years.

>sundays for three months during winter
>6-7 hours a day hike on karst through forest and everything in between
>didn't save them at all

Result

>comfy and broken in as fuck
>but leaky as fuck, even in morning dew, no matter how hard you polish them and put cream, they eventually and/or quickly soak
>i didn't notice any holes, mostly seam leaking but they looked ok
>bit heavier so legs felt tired after 7 hours marching, however, for winter use it's understandable
>great grip on every slippy surface

Got a pair of Croatian Army boots after those (new made) but my pair had a eyelet defect which hurt my foot so I discarded them after few uses. My uncle who still uses them says they're good, and unlike JNA, actually stay waterproof after applying cream.

Milsurp is usually cheap, so for weekend hikes, feel free to try them.
>>
File: 1315035754277.jpg (21 KB, 264x229)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1189868
>>
>>1189186
I've liked the idea of these for upland game, but they always seemed like they'd be clumsy for deer, let us know how the perform
>>
>>1177427
I have the original Moab ventilators. They're good for summer hiking in dry country, and the traction is decent. Only thing I don't like is the tendency for shit like briars and small rocks to get caught in the top of the boot.
>>
>>1190686
how did your parents react when they found out you're a lesbian?
>>
>>1181440

Merrell Moab
>>
>>1186465
>I wear steel toe because I want my toes chopped off

Take it from someone who was a roustabout, get composite toe and don't wear your wedding ring on the job site.
>>
>>1190676
That completely kills what little breathability they had...

Anyway, if anyone likes these types of boots, there is a lot of European brands that make them. I've heard good things about Meindl. Hanwag makes nice ones if you have wide-ish forefoot and they also make versions for people with fucked up toes/bunions. Zamberlan, Scarpa, Lowa, Asolo, Fitwell, etc
I think Lowe Alpine is American, so might be easier to find those. There is also that Italian dude that makes them to measure, not really very expensive... http://www.calzaturedallape.it/
Some of his stuff is made from one piece of leather, might be good for people who hate seams. They are pretty heavy though.
>>
>>1181440
>>1190770
Merrell Moab are pretty soft in my experience, the low version anyway...
I like them for walking around town, but for harder terrain I'd take trail runners instead.
>>
>>1190777
My job requires steel, doesn't allow composite
>>
>>1179453
>2000 neet dollar worth of rubber dills
Now I have seen it all
>>
>>1190868
The only time I'd ever pick steel toed leather boots is if I were working someplace that I had a real chance of getting molten metal dripped on my foot.
>>
>>1191184
I don't make the rules.
>>
>>1190777

Stop spreading this bullshit.
>>
Complete newfag here.
How important is climate when considering boots? I live in Florida right now and most out areas are swampy forest. I do plan on moving to either the northeast or interior west later on. Should I get a specific pair of boots for here or will a general pair work?
>>
texan here need some hiking boots/shoes but all im seeing is heavy hot looking leather stuff? any boot recommendations for hiking when its hot outside?
>>
File: Green Swamp.jpg (554 KB, 800x610)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
>>1191318
https://pickabow.com/best-hunting-boots/

For swampy, damp areas like Florida you obviously want something waterproof but breathable so you don't grow fungi in sauna down there. Depends where you'll go, what you'll do, and for how long.

For one day hikes into the swamp and alligator wrestling, I'd take rubber boots for $15 and wouldn't give a fuck.

>>1191326
See>>1190770
>>
Any experience with La Sportiva Karakorum /out/ for back country hunting in NZ.
>>
>>1190805
hm, never thought of that. been hiking with those for years now and everybody i know puts beeswax on their meindls or other leather hiking boots. what is an alternative to. beeswax? everybody just always told me to avoid any boot polish or sprays
>>
>>1191318

Not that important if you have warm feed and the boots are breathable.

Only important in true freezing conditions, in which case choice of socks is as important.

For swamp I'd use crocs or long rubber boots
>>
>>1177427

They are the /out/ boot just like Morakniv is the /out/ knife

Top top tier, feel like sneakers and last a fuckton. SEALs use them
>>
Currently wearing in these around the house before I take them outside and can't return them. Due to Euro size and stock shenanigans I had to get half a euro size bigger than my recommended. I've got some wool sock on with them and they're fairly comfy, I'm just worried they're a bit loose around the ankle. Will this go once they've worn in? Been a long time since I've hiked due to injury so I'm not sure how much my feet swell with hiking.
>>
>>1191663
>I'm just worried they're a bit loose around the ankle. Will this go once they've worn in?
Never did for me. Leather can shrink, in theory, but probably not by that much. I have had similarly slighty oversized boots, full leather with leather lining, for years and they're still slightly oversized.
>>
File: 1512417091876.png (187 KB, 758x631)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>1177116
Newfag here, looking to pick up some /out/ boots.

I plan to do very long distance walking and have a preference for non-modern materials. The kind of thing that would have been worn hundreds of years ago that I'd be able to repair myself with some leatherworking tools and thread.

Cost is a non-factor but I'd like a pair that lasts many years which I can self repair incase I'm innawoods for a long time.

Sorry if I come across like a complete retard. Very new to this board.

Thanks
>>
>>1191675
I'd like to make my own in the long run but I don't want to fuck up my feet whilst I'm clueless and new to trekking.
>>
>>1191675
Oh also, I have quite wide feet. Nothing narrow please.
>>
File: 1517197370994.jpg (181 KB, 640x666)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>1191687
Yes
>>
>>1191672
Ah well, they should still be comfy enough to hike in. I like thick socks anyway.
>>
>>1191675
That doesn't exist. Just get a pair of leather gtx boots and call it done.

I just bought a pair of zamberlan fell lites. Just breaking them in
>>
>>1191675
>>1191681
>The kind of thing that would have been worn hundreds of years ago that I'd be able to repair myself with some leatherworking tools and thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cordwaining
Protip: Good leather boots will not break, they will just run out of sole. You'll not fix that without serious tools. (Hobnails you might fix, don't know about that.)
>I plan to do very long distance walking.
Another good tip: Your joints are less replaceable than your boots. Buy modern boots with cushioning every other year and save them for your old days.

>>1191687
There's no need to rub it in you know.
>>
>>1191706
>leather gtx boots
Goretex boots are a meme. Go all leather or go all textile and goretex. The in between is shit.
>>
>>1191716
>https://www.reddit.com/r/Cordwaining
This is awesome!

>Protip: Good leather boots will not break, they will just run out of sole.
Well in that case, can anyone recommend some decent full leather boots?

>You'll not fix that without serious tools.
It seems like the key tools are cobbler pliers but most demonstrations do use sanding machines to remove the existing sole and to finish off the new one. The stitching would be much more preferable than the stupid glued on soles and probably much easier to replace.

>Your joints are less replaceable than your boots.
This is a good point.
Buy modern boots with cushioning every other year and save them for your old days.
Good advice. Thank you
>>
>>1191725
I couldn't find a single pair of hiking boots with leather soles, only dress shoes.
>>
Anyone ever tried those?
>>
>>1191732
>>>/fa/
>>
>>1191725
>can anyone recommend some decent full leather boots?
Well, if you're looking for some real durability, you want welted boots. (Some glued ones are reportedly resolable by the manufacturer, but...) There are actual hiking boots, mostly with padding and leather lining and a cushioning sole. Don't know who makes them in burgerland and there are tons of small european companies, but the biggest ones here are meindl and hanwag. There are also unpadded leather boots (think combat boots) mostly with uncushioned rubber soles too. Probably lasting a little longer, if you're into that sort of thing.

>>1191727
Well that would just be silly.
If someone were into hobnailed boots, there are WW2/WW1 reproductions from various companies. William Lennon also makes new ones.
>>
>>1191734
Those are french foreign legion boots.
>>
>>1191742
Very good. Thanks so much for your help!
>>
>>1191538
It's probably not 100% beeswax. If its mosttly beeswax, you will see white-ish substance around the wrinkles in the leather, where it got pushed as the leather bends. I think the stuff I use has fairly low percentage of wax compared to, say, snoseal, but I can't find exact numbers rn. The rest should be oils that can penetrate deeper into the leather. You usually apply it to warm leather (oven, hairdryer).
I wonder if its better to just use an oil blend and then some wax after that.
>>
>>1191725
The best you can make yourself unless you are a bootmaker is sandals (google huaraches for some images). If you are a lightweight and you loads are 10-12kg tops, you won't even need much cushioning... just have to walk right (e.g. not heel first when going down a steep hill).
If you are worried about joints and don't mind burning a moderate amount of money for non reliable results, you can get some supplements... glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, msm and a bunch of meme plant extracts and vitamins is the usual mix. Cycling and lifting (?) sites will have more info...
>>
>>1191725
>>1191771
Oh btw the funny glued on rubber part around the front and sides is pretty good for rocky terrain. I suppose people with old school boots have to take more care not to cut it on some rocks.
>>
>>1191771
>just have to walk right
I have heard that modern shoes changed the way we walk.

>The best you can make yourself unless you are a bootmaker is sandals
I'll definitely be making some sandals for fun. Not that useful in my climate (UK) but will be nice to use abroad.

>glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate
Yeah, I've taken these before when I was lifting.

>>1191772
True.

I'm currently looking at Danner Explorers. They seem to have very solid reviews and good construction. Some impressive testimonies and I like the style of the boot itself.
>>
>>1191788
Idk about walking, but certainly the way people run. Luckily, it's very uncomfortable to run the wrong way without shoes.

I'd be worried about cutting them on rocks - I managed to score some pretty deep cuts on my boots even though they have the rubber wraparound thingy (the cut was on another part). Other than that, they should be fine. Might be a bit of an overkill for the UK though.
>>
>>1191663
I found best thing for bigger boots is cushion insoles, they can make at least a half size up fit comfortable.
>>
Are the Adidas Terrex Bushwood shit ? Got a great deal around here. I have an Solomin Speed Assault coming, but it will take a while to get my hands on it.
>>
File: Quizmania.gif (74 KB, 600x338)
74 KB
74 KB GIF
>>1189849
how about wearing them looser (around the ankle) to begin with then lacing em higher later on?
>>
>>1191788
>I have heard that modern shoes changed the way we walk.

Yes, they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EszwYNvvCjQ
>>
>>1183741
i have alpina vento and its the comfiest shoe i ever wore
they are pretty good for the price in general
>>
>>1191868

Surely to god you can find reviews online other than asking a Cameroonian goat hearding forum about the quality of a specific model of shoe?
>>
>>1191727
http://lastrite.co.nz/products/27-tussock-hob-nail-boot
>>
File: IMAG0933.jpg (4.39 MB, 4032x3024)
4.39 MB
4.39 MB JPG
>copied from other thread now dead.
I own 1 pair of boots and I work in them, ride my motorcycle in them, and go /out/ in them.

It took me a few years to nut up and buy a pair of redwings. Are they the best boot ever? They are limited by materials. The leather is nicked as easily as anything else leather especially when working around pallets and sharp steel shit all day. Is the 300 dollar price tag justifyed. IDK I beat them up pretty good the first like month I had them and was kinda disappointed when one of the seams that clearly wasn't lock stitched properly came loose. (warranty covered the repair however) but like I said. Leather is only so strong and I wear them more then I have bare feet.. And at the current rate of abuse, I've had a pair of converse last longer without issues. Doing the same shit I do in these now.

I'd say 150 dollar mark is a better option.
>>
>>1192252
I think the problem is just that iron rangers are fashion bullshit with rather thin and not very good leather. Broken seams are the same category.
>>
>>1192427
Nigguh what are you on about iron rangers for? Those in the picture is clearly one of their work boots. Fiberglass toe, oil slip resistant soles. The ones I have are actually a discontinued model.. I don't remember the model number and it's rubbed off inside the tongue. I didn't go with their larping series because I have to stand in the fucking things all day on concrete surface..
>>
File: IMAG0940.jpg (3.98 MB, 4032x3024)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB JPG
>>1192440
>>
>>1177116

I just go to Farm and Fleet and buy a pair of wolverine 8 inch work boots whenever I wear out my current pair and wear them for everything from work to hiking to church to school.

Convince me to buy a pair of boots specifically for outdoor activities.
>>
>>1192440
Hearing 300 bucks and redwings, I didn't even think about it any further lol. But yeah, there's no way workboots are economical at that price.
>>
I have and will continue to swear by these boots. So much variety and theyre dirt cheep. Ive warn them in freezing rain and snow through three inch thorns and shit and theve been gouged and disfigured but maintained their waterproofing for 3.5 years. I just got pick related and theyre so nice 3m Thinsulate is a dream. Field and stream is dicks brand and they are made in asia which dissuades a lot of peolle but theyre better than my red wings and wolverines and irish setters. So idkbruhucandolikewhatever.
>>
>>1192465
300 dollars was after the 60+ dollar insoles they sell (the copper ones) too. But the insoles are made by another company and just slapped the redwing logo on them. But they aren't priced up because the redwing logo so I got them because the reviews on the actual insoles were pretty good with people that had foot and ankle problems. Even tho I don't have those issues myself. If they work for someone who's janky they'd surely work for someone who isn't.
>>
>>1192443
no.
>>
>>1179453
I lurk here from /k/ for innawoods advice
Can confirm gayest board besides /d/
>>
>>1192241
I did mate, took sometime to find the model in english, niggers here change the name of shoes for marketing reasons. For the price seems reliable and good enough, we will see, will post my review after a month of hard use. By the end of March I will say if Solomon Speed Assault lives to it's hype.
>>
File: 1.png (665 KB, 728x477)
665 KB
665 KB PNG
Just got a new pair of Danner Vicious a month ago. Little slippery on the rocks but super comfy and warm in the winter.Figure once the tread wears in a little more they'll grip better.
>>
>>1192482
Those insoles are GOAT, but they're thicker than the norm so you have to make sure the shoe fits right.
>>
>>1192252
You know, I got iron rangers with a flat sole, and I was thinking of putting hob nails in them, seeing how I have them for days when I’m outside in rocky/dry areas. Anyway, what do you all think?
>>
>>1193719
>Figure once the tread wears in a little more they'll grip better.
Wrong it will be worse.
I'm not even bullshiting here. Take a razor blade and start cutting slits across the bottom of the shoe you use the most. About .5mm apart parallel to each other. This will give you more grip... However the sole will wear faster too.

>>1193728
Fit me fine and I got super high arches

>>1193733
If you don't mind sticking holes in your soles and possibly fucking your shit up for good. Go for it. I really don't care if someone wants to fuck up their shit or not I'll tell you the pros and cons of doing so however. And one is possibly causing delamation, water damage from the holes , weird wearing sole patters.
>>
>>1178373

>ugg numale chukka boot

You can't make this shit up. Burn those.
>>
>>1193739
>water damage
Good point.
>>
>>1177556
Got the same pair. I've just about worn them right through. Seams have busted, leather has cracked, sole almost has a hole in...still comfortable af.
Bear in mind mine are 6 years old and have been through +45C in Spain and -40C in Kazakhstan and everything in between. I'm very impressed with how they've just eaten up everything I've thrown at them. Will definitely be buying the same pair again next time I'm in the UK.
>>
I need boots budget 80eur 100usd. Whats the best i can get for dirty hikes
>>
File: IMG_20180131_140658.jpg (2.02 MB, 3187x2976)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
These aren't hiking boots but I hike with them. I've worn these every day for 2 years at work, when I'm /out/, when I go shopping whatever. They fit perfectly to my feet. Ive walked through ankle deep marshes as come out on the other side with dry cozy feet. I wouldn't recommend boots like this for rough terrain because lack of grip but for general use why not? Made in USA red wings are a solid boot. My coworker made fun of me for spending $200 on boots but he's gone through 4 pairs on chinkshit boots in the time I've had these.

I've never oiled them though, just occasional waterproofing. How the hell do I do that?
>>
>>1192443
Because why break in a new pair of boots every 6 months when you can have an comfy pair that will last? You spend the same amount of money and your net comfyness increases. Also I like to buy USA made boots, so you can support your country by doing that. I'm not a hardcore patriot but leather boots are one thing that I trust with USA craftsmanship, chinkshit just falls apart and uses cheap material.
>>
Red Wings
>>
maryland fag here, weather and tick rampage here is absolute ass, rains 3/4 of the year what should i be looking at? i don't want one of those blood suckers to crawl up my pant
>>
>>1194250
Waterproofing should be your oiling... Oil repels water numnuts. Unless you're straight up dipping them in say melted wax. You should oil them everytime they get wet. Clean an oil actually if they are muddy. I'm the guy above with the redwings as well. This isn't redwing care. Just general leather boot care.
>>
>>1193911
Merrell MOAB
>>
>>1193911
Depends on climate and terrain, as well as if you go off-trail or not
>>1194570
Good choice for desert/steppe and/or on-trail, recipe for trench foot in cold/rainy areas
>>
>>1194250
Those are great. I have a pair of the 606s that I've worn nearly every day for over two years, /out/ and otherwise. Never had any problems with them
>>
File: BNSMO.jpg (35 KB, 440x440)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>Sturdy enough to double as work boots
>Comfiest pair of boots you will ever own
Timberland Eurohikers.

Wore them everyday for a year doing outdoor, manual labor as well as on hikes, and the sole was the only thing that wore out.
10/10, I get a pair every other Christmas.
>>
>>1195006
I've used those as well, lasted well enough considering how hard I used them. Both the sole and the actual leather wore out eventually lol, but I'm geologist and they got tons of abrasion from climbing on rocks and shit plus cacti will fuck shit up hardcore.

Fort he price though I was well pleased.
>>
>>1192482
what's the company that makes the insole?

I want to try the out
>>
>>1184494
Those are great boots
>>
File: rw8113.jpg (69 KB, 640x480)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
Would it be idiotic to use these as my /out/ shoe?
>>
>>1195155
>No tread
>No cushioning
>Fashion surcharge
>Hipster surcharge
If you like that kind boot, there's plenty of better options on the market. It's alright, provided
-it fits
-you don't do lang marches with heavy loads (fucks up your knees)
(you may be able to fit a cushioning insole though).
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (185 KB, 1500x1217)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
are pic related any good for /out/ing?

also is legacy captcha fucking gone? i seriously am done posting on 4chan if that's the case. can't stand the stupid picture matching shit that you have to do 4 times before it accepts
>>
>>1195213
Yes, if you mean /out/ing to local town park or your back garden.
>>
File: proof.jpg (1.7 MB, 3264x2448)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>1195155
Eh, Idk maybe just for a city park and well paved trails with almost no incline? I've done those in desert boots with crepe soles. Then anti-tracking military units also use soles with zero tread and seem to find ways around that fact.
>>1195213
I've got a pair. The tread lasts a while and is good for mud and soil, but it picks up pebbles and is super slippery on wet rock, and wet smooth floors. I only ever took them on trails, never anything rougher than that. I'd also advise against carrying anything too heavy as they don't really have any ankle support but are very light. They have basically zero padding, so long trips might end up being very painful.
>>
>>1195155
Look like copies of the WW2 era U.S. service shoe.
So, "yeah" pretty dumb idea.
A lot better has come out since then, even as far as surplus military boots.
>>
>>1180548
They're work boots, not a fashion accessory you flaming queer.
>>
File: Screenshot_61.png (555 KB, 1435x621)
555 KB
555 KB PNG
would pic related be a good first time hiking boot?
pls no bully foot size
>>
>>1196058

They do look gay though.
>>
>>1177427
Be very worried about crumbling. I didn’t think it would be a big deal with my wading boots I got for $10 and boy was I wrong
>>
>>1191326
Texan born and raised here. Moabs are the way to go. I now go to Arkansas, New Mexico and Colorado on trips so I got a little something heavy duty. I also had some good Columbia’s about 7 years ago but I can’t remember what they are.
>>
>>1196110
They’d be a good experienced hiking boot. I say go for it. See if you can find it in a store near you first to make sure you like them and they’re comfortable
>>
>>1196110
probably fucking heavy
>>
>>1192472
>not in size 14
kill me
>>
>>1177116
>tfw i hike in my construction boots
how much of a pleb am i?
>>
File: 1517874017958.jpg (2.14 MB, 2448x3264)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
>>
>>1196966
Steel toes (assuming) are really bad for extended hikes, will cut into you eventually
>>1196822
Yeah, I hate how everything gets suddenly €50-70 more expensive starting at EU48...
>>1196998
I know a few working retail there - and while their other /out/ gear is quite decent (especially if you can reap employee discount) they don't recommend their own boots. If you're in Germany/W Europe, go for Lowa/Hanwag/Haix instead
>>
>>1196966

I hike in external steel toes all the time. Internal steel toes, no fucking way.
>>
File: 1516502255928.png (144 KB, 1030x819)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>1178175
>>1178138
I agree. I wasted money on a pair of beckman redwings, and only use them for occasional hiking or snowy days. It's better to buy a cheaper brand, or even better just get two separate pairs of boots instead of trying to make one pair do everything. The chelseas you're looking at are mediocre anyways, the large toebox looks pretty bad, especially if you wear pants with any sort of break around the ankle. Just get cheaper workshoes, and and then grab a proper pair of chelseas, unless you can't live without that thick look.
>>
File: 16110102914_3a86fd95f3_h.jpg (639 KB, 1600x1067)
639 KB
639 KB JPG
Are timberlands any good for /out/?
>>
>>1197308
Remember that they're made for fashion and not for actual /out/ings. Sure, some might be comfortable, some might have ok stichting (I don't know), but I would not want to trust them for any serious hiking around.
>>
>>1197308
No, they are overpriced fashion wear that roleplays as outdoor wear.
>>
>>1197308
I use similar boots (spinoff) from local workwear store. They have good soles and if you impregnate them with some wax, they can take some beating.
I am a geologist and I wear them alot. Already decimated 3 pairs in 5 years.
>>
File: 1517949432300263718014.jpg (2.19 MB, 3264x2448)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
I've had the for twenty years and never treated them. I probably should. What should I use? Apparently they've got a goretex membrane.

t. Ignorant Britbong.
>>
>>1178373
I dont get all the hate? Its a decent looking pair of chukkas. Are you guys all really so insecure you see ugg and write it off as dont wear it? Simply cause the brand? If they look alright then wear em bro. Dont be materialistic and petty.
>>
>>1197581
Obenauf's or sno seal is the only stuff I trust. The former is easy to apply but requires more applications. The latter is harder to apply since you need a heat source(hair dryer) but is a one and done for a year or so.
>>
>>1197623
>>1197581
If you got with snoseal dont put on multiple layers, or too much of it...

The membrane doesnt last more than a couple years btw
>>
what kind of insole do i want for maximum comfort?
just DR scholls? something else?
>>
Thoughts on Bestard anybody?
>>
So what is the consensus on waterproof vs waterproof? If you're going to be hiking in warm temperatures with lots of potential creeks, puddles, and wet foliage, would it be better in the long run to buy a pair that is completely waterproof of something that is ventilated and let them dry as you walk? The last two pairs of hiking boots I've had were Moabs, and while I think they're very comfortable, the waterproofing wears out after about a year and a half. I wear a pair of full leather waterproof boots to work, but my feet get sweaty there so I know it will be worse while hiking.
>>
File: 14321423521.jpg (69 KB, 650x650)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1197308
yes, but only if you buy CATs for half the price
>>
>>1197639
I know, I'm poor so I definitely squeeze out the max use if I can. No point in having it just drip everywhere or leave semi dry gobules around. What do you do if the membrane gives? Rip it out or in case of Danners send em back to have a new one put in?
>>
>>1198176
I doubt they can do that. GTX marketing likes to say it lasts a long time/forever, but that's just bullshit. Maybe they'll send you a new pair if you complain enough...
Unless you want to cross streams in them you dont really need them to be waterproof anyway. Also, even if the membrane works, the thing is on the inside, so the leather will still get wet and heavy.
I'd just use some kind of oil/wax and redo the DWR treatment.
>>
>>1186968
Steel toed combat boots definitely exist, but they suck like you said.
>>
>>1177625
You could try Blauer clash 6" waterproof with the comp toe. I picked up a paid for $85. I love BOA. I walk 4 - 8 miles a day on concrete and they've been great for summer and winter and are waterproof like they advertise. Swap the insole for one that's actually made for your style of walking and arch.
>>
>>1184494
To me they were really stiff and the back of the ankle folded in exactly the wrong spot. I like columbia gear most of the time, but those boots feel like costume boots, not real boots.
>>
>>1191732
Palladium are my go to fuck around boots and projects around the home, but theyll fuck up your feet if you try to hike lomg distance in them. Very light and grippy for walks in rough terrain but not recommended for anything serious
>>
>>1177303
I'm >>1178760

I've had them for about a month and they're great. They're extremely uncomfortable for the first few hikes, and they're still breaking in for me, they get more and more comfortable each time though.
>>
>>1181620
I have a pair of those and they're very comfortable, wishing I had more areas locally that I could venture out into. I've had them to where I work though, and owned them for about 5-6 months now.

No sign so far of anything that has compromised the boots' structure. I'd recommend these. Keep in mind to have good maintenance routines. That should go without saying.
>>
File: redwing 9016.jpg (56 KB, 800x570)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>
>>1177216
unless you are carrying a lot of weight over uneven ground, you don't need ankle support. Unless of course you are a fat fuck.
>>
>>1177427
I wore a pair of those for 2,184 miles, and they still had life left in them.
>>
>>1201708
I walked in boots, I got a bloody toenail and a compressed nerve.
>>
>>1178731
One question.
Are they waterproof to the top?

That's all.

But out of all the boots here...
This one comes close!
>>
File: 1501781679296.gif (1.98 MB, 332x215)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB GIF
>>1177325
>>
>>1188153
They're not hardcore bush enough.
Simple.

You need shit like these to survive.
>>
File: nice.jpg (20 KB, 400x400)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1201708
>>
>>1201708
do you wear cut off jeans and own a man purse
>>
>>1202010
I have no idea why I’m laughing so hard on this???!!!
>>
File: V19YKuo_d.jpg (53 KB, 630x800)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Who here /mocassin/?
>>
>>1191675
Get some pennine boots?
>>
>>1201708
I find these really nice looking. Shame they were coopted by hipsters so badly, I would probably wear these.
>>
why do hiking boots tend to have those dangle ring shoe lace holes and why do they tend to have eyelets towards the toe?
>>
File: plsbepatient.jpg (43 KB, 758x631)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1191675
Hanwag
>>
File: TRIP 142 617-M.jpg (128 KB, 600x450)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
Does anyone know if Asolo's issues with sole delamination are actually getting worse? I've read some reviews saying that. I've been wearing a pair of Asolo 520 that I like pretty well for a few years now and the sole did delaminate, but not until before the rest of the boot was falling apart as well. I was thinking about just getting another pair but I don't want to shell out $300 for a pair of boots only to have them crap out on me after a year.
>>
>>1177428
Check out wolverine heritage waterproof boots. Maybe that will suit you.
>>
What does /out/ think of Danner?
Just purchased pic related for work, and if they're comfy enough I'll wear them out, but I have some actual Danner hunting boots that will probably be better suited for that.
>>
File: DSC_1231.jpg (764 KB, 1500x1000)
764 KB
764 KB JPG
>>1203071
Any shoe that uses PU will have the sole disintegrate after about 5-10 years thanks to hydrolysis (here a pic of my Lowas which fell apart after 12 years but were other wise still in prime condition) - but it's hard to find out which models use it and which don't
>>
>>1203269
Also, here a more detailed description: http://bergpost.hanwag.de/?p=468&lang=en
>>
>>1178950

take sneakers/ trail runners. but this is a boot thread so i'll just leave.
>>
File: 0Jz38yh.jpg (25 KB, 538x423)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
are there any boots that are legitimately /fa/ yet unironically /out/ at the same time?
>>
>>1178731
The construction of them is cheap compared to German and Austrian ones. Not worth it imo.
>>
Who the fuck is buying these neon multicolored boots? Why are like over half the boots in the store these atrocious colors now? I just want them to be fucking brown thank you very much.
>>
>>1203664
a man after my own heart.

im also sick of technical looking boots. just because it has more detail doesn't make it do anything special.

just makes the manchildren happy.

danner do a lot of just brown boots.
>>
>>1203269
>12 year old boots
>still have full tread
these are the people giving advice on /out/

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.