[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

how much should a good hatchet cost me?

what would you recommend

or should I get a straight up axe?
>>
You can get a perfectly fine hatchet from a hardware store for around $30-$40.
>Should I get an axe instead?
That depends, what are you planning to do?
>>
Go to flea market
Buy hatchets, axe heads for $1 us.
Buy a $4 wood handle at hardware store
Or fashion your own.
Hang them yourself
You might find a thread on diy.
>>
>>1180045
Just use your knife
>>
>>1180045
Fiskars x7 if you wanna be cheap.
Husqvarna hatchet if you wanna be slightly less cheap.
>>
What are some outdoor uses of a hatchet?

Obviously good for logs, or as a hammer for tent pegs and the like, but what else can you do with it?

I saw a guy hiking out on the AT one time who carried a heavy looking hatchet with him. What the fuck was that for?
>>
>>1180348
If you're skilled enough, a good hatchet is much more useful than a knife and you can use it for most all knife tasks.
>>
File: X7-Hatchet-14.jpg (33 KB, 1110x1110)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
What are the pros and cons of these sort of hatchets vs wooden handle ones?
>>
>>1180045
this is how we do it
https://youtu.be/LqwkC95A00E
>>
Should I just stick it out and wait for a gransfors? Everywhere has the small forest axe on backorder.
>>
>>1180475
Get a gransfors. I got mine a few months back the wait wasn't to bad, by far the best hatchet I've ever owned
>>
>>1180456
When it breaks, you can just throw it in the trash as opposed to getting a new handle and fixing it.
>>
>>1180456
More durable. Wooden handles can be equally durable if treated and crafted properly and are better for comfort and shock absorbancy, but I've never seen a Fiskars crack or have the head loosen. They're completely bombproof.

>>1180481
>When it breaks
That's the one thing Fiskars don't do.
>>
>>1180045
I usually just pick them up at yard sales or flea markets, and give them the once over on a stone. Should only cost you a couple bucks.
>>
>>1180481
>>1180632
Fiskars has a lifetime warranty so if your axe handle breaks, send them a picture and they send you a brand new axe for free.
>This messaged sponsored by Fiskars
>>
File: 117a593.jpg (82 KB, 934x545)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>1180632
>>
>>1180693
there's your problem
you're supposed to hit the wood with the blade
>>
>>1180045

I'd consider a Council Tools Boys Axe. 28", decent blades, fair price, hickory handle. I rarely bother with hatchets except in certain niche usages, but you should ultimately base what you get on what you're likely to use yo shit fo. If scrilla is less an issue, grab a hatchet and an axe when the chance is available, as you eventually will want one.
>>
>>1180083
This.
You can get quality steel for a good cost, learn to hang an axe, and have the satisfaction of DIY. Just recently finished up three the other week, and have many more heads from the swap meet ready to go when I get the time.
>>
>>1180475
>gransfors
what? just in case a tree needs felling at the local espresso bar?
>>
>>1180045
Marbles make pretty good cheap axes, under $40 usually. I'm quite happy with mine since I don't have the money for a nicer axe yet, took the time to file down a nice bevel and edge since the factory one isn't the greatest, stays sharp and cuts great now.
>>
>>1180045
>how much should a good hatchet cost me?
$20-$800
>>
>>1180693
everything can break but if you see once what it takes to break an x7 handle you won't bother to think about it.
>>
>>1180348
hatchets are shit for logs, use an axe
>>
Rather than start a new thread I'll try asking here

I have a 50-60 year old rafting pattern axe likely made by mann edge tool USA that needs to be re hung. it's a heavy fucker at 4lbs with a 30" handle which is short according to this chart, will it feel lighter to swing if I follow the chart and go with a 36" handle?
that will make it even more of a beast to pack, does it make more sense to leave it and look for a 2.5 or 3lbs head and keep the handle shorter?
>>
>>1183531
None of these charts aren't really applicable to every person, if you find the 30" handle more comfortable to use, by all means go with a 30" handle
>>
What does out axe think of Husqvarna?
>>
>>1180456
I literally have one of every size, I absolutely love them. stock up before the zombies get them.
>>
>>1181388

t. poorfag.
>>
>>1180475

Wetterlings is another company to look at. A bit cheaper but the quality difference is negligible. Different blade shape though.
>>
>>1184441
After Wetterlings was taken over by Gransfors they only produce Gransfors Bruks axes.
>>
>>1180045
If just getting a tool go all the way and get the ace or you'll be disappointed when a medium or large job comes. If you have a small job to do hatchet.
>>
op here. got a metal axe at a yard sale for $1

what are the pros and cons of them?

should I just get a fiskar. this thing feels kinda heavy lol
>>
>>1184488
fiskar x5 of x7 size do you guys think?

fiskar x5 size is most appealing to me but I think that's just more because it's cute.

I don't have a knife besides a Letterman wingman multitool
>>
>>1184477

What about all the stock available of wetteringlings out there?
>>
>>1184534
>what are the pros and cons of them?

Pros:
They chop stuff
Makes you feel cool

Cons:
Heavy
Maybe you don't need to chop stuff
>>
>>1180045
Ill sell you a dragon axe for 50k
>>
>>1184534
It's one of those one-piece ones? You're going to feel the impact fully since there won't be any absorption through the handle. Well, there will be, but it will be your hands absorbing the energy instead of the handle.
>>
>>
>>1180045
Hatchets suck. They don't chop shit. Get an axe.
>>
>>1184887
They work good for the stuff they're meant to do like processing kindling and limbing small trees. It's not like you need to fell a 75 year old spruce on an over-nighter. Also, carrying 4lbs of steel on the end of a 32" stick isn't exactly practical for hiking.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.