[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_0145.jpg (58 KB, 400x533)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
#211-“Crankbaits A Meme” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1191737

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
File: pool.jpg (12 KB, 500x500)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
I ordered a cheap pool thermometer so I can measure water temps in the rivers I fish.

Not a bad idea right? I'll end up ripping off the cute lil fish on top and maybe the plastic covering to make it fit in my vest.
>>
>>1196673
Just deep fried some perch roe because I felt bad wasting it. Didn't really taste like much and unless I paid attention to the texture it was eatable. Not my favorite food but I've certainly had worse.
>>
>>1196723
Ive seen a few people try cooking the eggs like that. Some of them love it. Not something I personally enjoyed..

I’m still waiting to hook into a nice cubby burbot. Heard mixed reports on how good it is but from what I’ve gathered as long as it’s prepaired right it can be arguably the best tasting freshwater fish. People on my home lake have been hammering them so hopefully I can pull one threw the ice before it’s gone
>>
jesus fucking christ i went to my local city pond because they "stocked" it with 1500 trout

apparently people have just been going there to fish without trout licenses, taking whatever they want during the entire catch and release period during november-january and now it's depleted

plus there's so much fucking trash in it that all i caught was plastic bags, other peoples busted line, leaves, sticks and one small rainbow trout

holy fuck i hate people, i'm going back there this weekend and taking a rake and my 15' extendable net to clean this fucking thing up so fish can actually live in it
>>
>>1196772
First of all thats what conservation officers are for. It's weird because Id imagine the city would love giving out tickets for that. It will teach people to buy trout stamps. Have any info on that? Try contacting the fish/wildlife management about it?

It's a shame trout end up getting stocked in there, because they dont have a chance at surviving in a dirty/warm pond. Like why not just stock some bass or something that will actually be ok for the pond? - I imagine they use trout because it virtually boost up their income by more people buying trout stamps.

I avoid duck ponds. Even ones that seem secluded get enough pressure, and the urban ones are just a bad experience. I stick to rivers, dont have a boat for lakes.
>>
>>1196772
Yup. Even if they stock it, fishing in popular places is always awful.

>>1196707
That’s cool. A little different in big lakes because the temps change with the depths, but at least you will have a rough estimate.
>>
>>1196792
i'm going to visit the conservation office tomorrow since it's a couple blocks away but i doubt they'll do much

this pond is tiny, it has a small 30 yard island in the middle and it's maybe 120 yards long around that, the deepest part of it is 10 feet at most but all i'm dragging out is leaves, sticks and trash

i guess they had a surplus of trout and just tossed them in, there isn't any other species in it even though it lists crappie, bass and catfish, in 5 years fishing this place all i've ever pulled is bluegill, a tiny perch and a turtle
>>
>>1196772
How is a place like that not regularly checked by Fish&Wildlife or DNR rangers? Here in Missouri they rip you a new asshole for keeping undersized fish or exceeding the possession limit. I've been checked on several lakes, and the trout parks are ruled with an iron fist.
>>
>>1196802
dude this is missouri, it's liberty park in sedalia

there's never any officers checking it, i've never seen one roll by, stop in or anything, but if i go to the lake in warsaw or ozarks they're everywhere
>>
>>1196807
holy shit kek
Lake of the Ozarks here. I get randomly checked by the Water Patrol at least once a year. Every time I go fly fishing over at Bennett Spring I see some idiot being led away in handcuffs. It's crazy they'd stock a random pond in Sedalia with trout and then not give a fuck about it.
>>
>>1196811
haha yeah, that's always classic when people assume MDC isn't around and they can get away with anything

i think the park this pond is in has a security guard but he's a lazy fuck, hopefully they'll start hitting it on weekends or something because there's so many people there that probably don't have a license
>>
>>1196636
How deep are you fishing that you need to use those lead eyes of sauron?
>>
>use a tiny ass chartreuse spinner
>hook is like half the size of my pinky finger
>catch the biggest largemouth of my life on it
>absolutely destroys the spinner in the process
holy fuck I need to get more of these things
>>
>>1196882
>spinner
Do you mean a rooster tail, a spoon, or a spinnerbait
>>
>>1196772
>wildlife managment stocks shithole with fish
>they know people will poach
>allow them to poach a little
>tickets the fuck out of them once theres a big enough croud
>tons of revenue for fish and game department
>town gets to ticket fuckers for parking illegally etc
>town gets money

i know for a fact my state does this, and they label them as "community fishing waters"
strictly to bring in revenue
>>
>>1196885
Or midget.
>>
>>1196753
>Eating burbot

I would catch them all the time in Quebec with my family and we never knew exactly what they were called because the locals didn't really have a translation. One guy who spoke English called them "lang fish". They're pretty good, boneless but don't let their skin touch the meat.
>>
>>1196772
Such is the state of fishing in shitty populated places. You have to work hard to find a good personal place.
>>
>>1196885
Probably inline

>>1196882
That’s like my little brother. I set him up with a UL and 1/8oz Rooster Tail just hoping he’ll land some little bass or cichlids and I think it was his 2nd time fishing and he lands this thing. Not huge by FL standards, but bigger than any LMB I have landed at that overfished urban lake.
>>
File: how-to-rig-zoka.png (326 KB, 700x800)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>1196636
My african american brother! Battered fried squid is like our national meze and those damn cuttles stuffed with spinach in the oven are umami overload. The unfortunate thing is that since we got wind of the egi fishing technique its become a bit harder to get a good sized squid from shore as most ignorant weekend egi warriors dont realise that squids are the most sensitive fucking sea organism and when you get a smaller speciment you should not touch it or as most do put it on the fucking ground before releashing it to just die 20 meters from shore...
>>1196658
The bottom jigs are a traditional greek live bait deep sea fishing technique called zoka that looks a lot like the japanese tenya technique but targert bigger fish as instead of a shrimp you arm it with either live squid or cuttlefish.
pic related
>>
>>1196969
that seems like it would be really good to throw at a cobia or striper
>>
>>1196957
Speaking of Quebec. Just booked our spot for our annual spring pike trip.

Decided to switch it up this year and fish giant water instead of secluded private lakes. Pic related might be the cabin we will be in. Miles of water all to ourselves
>>
>>1196977
bring your heaviest fly rod and some big, articulated flies, you might be able to get a pike on a fly. or in the summer if you know a river nest that's fairly slow and has reasonably cool water that has pike in it, wade it while it's low and cast at fallen trees, you'll probably at the very least get a few hammer handles
>>
>>1196707
Keep the cute fish. I imagine it makes the thermometer float if you drop it lol
>>
>>1196976
The main targets are common dentex, red porgy, amberjack,sargo, white and black seabream and the occasional unlucky octopus; in general deep bottom dwelling fish
tfw I will probly never fish or taste cobia or striper as they are not indigenous to the Mediterranean Sea
>>
>>1196984
>bring your heaviest fly rod and some big, articulated flies, you might be able to get a pike on a fly.
>might

Oh.. trust me.. I’m not leaving the lake until I catch at least one pike on a fly I’ve tied. Supposedly there are some giant smallies in there too so I plan on trying to catch those as well
>>
File: 1507487724631.png (38 KB, 645x729)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>I catch and release fish
>>
>>1196990
hella. definately buy some articulation shanks and get some articulation, when you run a well articulated streamer right it actually looks like it's swimming
>>1196987
i feel it. most of the fish you listed are something i probably wont catch either.
>>
File: IMAG0949.jpg (2.25 MB, 4032x3024)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>1196673
M A S S I V E P B F O R S U R E
A
S
S
I
V
E

P
B

F
O
R

S
U
R
E
>>
File: IMAG0946.jpg (2.59 MB, 3024x4032)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB JPG
>>1196673
Size 26 fly hook. Because why the fuck not. Catches fish easier then size 12 for sure.
>>
>>1197033
Nice color
>>
>>1196977
Good luck. Best thing ever is jigging spoons in bays as deep as you can see. Nothing gets the adrenaline going like seeing a 40 inch pike come out of nowhere and absolutely hammer your lure. If it gets really weedy a jig with a flasher and a strategically hooked minnow gets the same result.
>>
File: 1353548827810.jpg (30 KB, 296x288)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1196990
co worker from maritimes was here in berta for work, brought his fly rod to try for some of the pike and walleye in the river near camp.
Came back in about 20 minutes with a snapped rod from a pike
>>
>>1197054
>snapped his rod on a pike
what was he doing? pike don't pull all that hard, was he trying to lift it out of the water or something?
>>
>>1197054
Worst case scenario I’ll use this monster as my back up. Rated for a minimum of 40# line, 3-8oz lures
>>
>>1197059
That there's a trophy musky chasin setup
>>
>>1197063
As dumb as it sounds I only bought that setup so I could use these lures. This spring will be the first time I’ve gotten to use them
>>
File: IMGP7639.jpg (288 KB, 2400x1598)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
just picked up the rod today. ultralight here i come
>>
>>1197067
fuck that reminds me I ruined my UL reel last year. It was a bottom tier pflueger I'll probably end up replacing it with daiwa or shimano bottom tier
>>
>>1197066
yo, let me get one of them big ass swibaits for my stripper fishing
>>
>>1197067
How's the rod? I got a UL and it's really whippy. Took a while to get used to casting with it. Cant wait for it to get warm again for lazy afternoons drifting downriver catching perch and panfish.
>>
>>1197057
Not sure, i think it was his first time out with that rod and im pretty sure it was just a cheap combo from cabelas

>>1197059
my dad has a reel similar to that with 25 year old 40lb braided on it. gets tangled pretty easy though
>>
>>1197077
honestly that's even more surprising, my cheap cabelas combo that i got for $75 outperforms my $150 combo
>>
>>1197075
it's effortlessly whippy, just what i need for these really light lures
>>
>>1196801
crappie probably ruined the place
>>
>>1197084
How
>>
>>1197220
crappie can ruin ponds and small lakes, pet project pond that I "managed" for my buddy's grandpa went to shit after we dropped some crappie in there cause he wanted to fish for food
>>
>>1197228
sounds like it was successful at getting some crappie on his table.
>>
>>1196723
they are much better breaded and then tossed into the fire, even better if you pickle them, then bread them
>>
>>1196673
CRANKBAITS ARE NOT A MEME RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1197228
Why? I've caught pretty big gills, perch and bass from places with crappie
>>
>>1197301
But they are! All you need is suspending jerkbaits and a couple lipless rattlers.
>>
>>1197033
Isn't this one if those endangered sunfish species or is its color just wack?
>>
File: image.png (116 KB, 657x527)
116 KB
116 KB PNG
>>1196673
I live in SoFla and the closest I ever got to catching a snook in season was one time when something stole the live grunt off the hook. How do I fix this and/or learn to hide my shame from friends and loved ones?
>>
File: IMG_2381.jpg (1.76 MB, 3264x2448)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>1197341
I've always found it harder to get beach/pier snook to bite than spillway snook. Give the spillways a shot. Also in my area (Juno) they're keyed in on shrimp so either get live shrimp or DOA shrimp in the same color as the bottom you're fishing.
>>
>>1197371
>spillway snook
I'll try that, the pier ones are too good at trolling anglers for free meals. Heard marinas and under bridges are solid spots too. Then again, I also heard not to bother with live scrimps for snook. Now I'm thinking those asshole fish probably started that rumor in the first place.
>>
>>1197387
Live shrimp works great but you will have a ton of trash fish eat them too. DOA shrimp are really effective. Just work them very slowly on the bottom or on a popping cork. Color is super important, if you're fishing a beach use glow or clear and if you're fishing a spillway use rootbeer or gold.
>>
File: IMG_2196.jpg (824 KB, 2448x3149)
824 KB
824 KB JPG
>>1197387
Also some of the best snook action is at night. Fish dock lights and bridges.
>>
>>1197246
>>1197320
If you don't have enough small bass to eat the small crappie on years when they have a boom spawn the competition for food can ruin the sizes of both bass and crappie though. they all pretty much eat the same stuff so in a lot of smaller bodies of water (say <10 acres) crappie can hurt bass size and still never grow to slab size
>>
File: 1515697105709.png (36 KB, 121x129)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
Has anyone been in norwegian just for fishing? I kinda wanna go this year but most houses fit up to 8 people or so. How do I find people to join me?
>>
File: 1517572653819.jpg (44 KB, 500x500)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1197015
>i eat everything I catch
>>
File: image.png (37 KB, 586x578)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>1197611
>>1197015
>I don't use every fish I catch as live bait for bigger fish
>>
>>1197614
>catches 24” muskie as bait for a 56” muskie
>>
>>1197403
How do you rig the artificial shirmp? Ever try the Gulp shrimp?

>>1197341
Go for barracuda instead

I caught this guy in the Intercoastal a couple miles from any inlet. Must have been a couple minutes after high tide and I could see the divide in the water passing by where the muddy water from inland met the clear water from the sea. I caught it like 50’ into the ocean water.

I still haven’t figured that shit out.
>>
>>1197691
DOA shrimp come pre rigged, just tie it on and fish
>Ever try the Gulp shrimp?
Yes It's a dink snook killer but they are pretty delicate and last 1-2 fish. I just put them on the lightest jig head I can find that still lets me maintain contact with the bottom. Usually a 1/8 or 3/16 oz jig head
>>
has anyone sent their shimano reel for repair?

how long is the turn over time?
>>
File: buffet.jpg (82 KB, 960x718)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>1196850 this >>>1196969
what he said, similar to tenya but with more weight. tenya methods works well for snapper,pargo,grouper, rockfish, ling, most flat fish and other bottom dwellers. I use them in 30'-100' of water for various species, depending on the current.

>>1196987
>amberjack

pound for pound the hardest fighting fish around. even the small ones make you smile.

>>1197710
they serviced my 500 and it took 9 days until I got it back.
>>
>>1197710
I sent a rod back to orvis to repair, they got it back over 3 months later.
>>
File: tenya.jpg (11 KB, 600x600)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>
>>1197706
Have you ever messed around with the DOA shrimp and rigged it backwards so it looks like it's fleeing? I saw a video on how to do it so it still falls evenly, but idk if it's worth the effort.
>>
>>1197746
I've never tried it before. They've worked good enough for me as they come out of the box.
>>
>>1197745
I makeshift these with regular jigs for walleye , but I use worms, leaches or minnows
>>
File: snagged .n..jpg (42 KB, 480x360)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1197754
>>1197746
>>1197706
>>1197691
>>1197403
>>1197387
>>1197371
>>1197341
>not fly fishing with a shrimp pattern or ep pinfish pattern
degenerates all of you
>>
File: savage.jpg (171 KB, 1468x816)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>savage gear
>>
>>1197754
Neat. Do you still jerk it like its fleeing, or do you just swim it slowly? I don't really think most fish will care what direction it's facing, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>1197816
I swim it super slowly on the bottom. Every once in a while I'll give it a light snap and pause. Most of my bites happen when I pause and let it sit on the bottom for bit.
>>
I've also used them on a popping cork a few times, but I've had the best luck when just fishing them on the bottom.
>>
>>1197710
About 2 weeks on average
>>
>>1197718
That pic though,
>Buffet.jpg
>>
>>1197768
fuck yes best walleye rig
>>
>>1196882
>>1196885
I'm a day late but here it is. Can anyone identify exactly what it is? I bought it like 3 years ago and don't even remember the brand, spoon got bent right off.
>>
>>1197916
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/booyah-micro-pond-magic-spinnerbaits?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

look at the "lightning bug" colour
>>
>>1197323
>he doesn't use 20foot plus deep cranks in western reservoir lakes

boy oh boy I hope you guys don't believe this lie that cranks are a meme

....OH WAIT you all fish from shore because you are poor and dont have boats and cant throw crank baits
>>
>>1197950
>throwing crankbaits
Crankbaits are for the patrician past time of trolling (the kind that doesn't happen on 4chan).
Hardly any casting involved.
>>
>>1197952
you're unbelievably wrong, trolling is done with planar boards and other depth controlling measures like lead core lines, dropper weights and what not.

Seriously stupid if you think people just troll a 10 foot depth crank bait behind the boat.

Lipped cranks excel being casted at ledges and deep rocky point where you can bounce them off the bottom.

So stupid. Amazes me how dump people here are.
>>
>>1197959
>You have to troll with planar boards

False, I've been trolling cotton Cordell lures 50 yards behind my boat since I was a kid. Got plenty of fish to show for.
>>
File: sxedio.jpg (46 KB, 800x359)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1197718
I love fighting amberjack, it is the most manly fishing I will ever do
>>1197768
We use tenya styled jigheads here in Greece from say 50mtrs to abyssal depths (say to 250grms) if you have no problem with the currents and you can get it on the bottom you can get monsters. My anecdotal self experience is that tunas and amberjacks are just greedy and see prawns as a light snack that the can't help themselves from eating. Ofc I've read that in SE Asia they tend to arm them with king prawns when it comes to heavier jigheads so I guess it has a better presentation from my shitty Mediterranean prawn but who cares, kabura in general works very well here!
>>1197959
Agreed my fav teqnique is the grecoitalian "tin guardian" (don't know the English name) you arm a live squid in heavy fluoro connected to your main line above a heavy tin weight that "guards" your leader by dragging on the sea floor. 0.5n miles to 2 trolling and always looking at the fish finder for structure, works like a charm! Pick related
>>
>>1197959
>I’m a major cunt that no one likes

For being a freshy you sure are salty.
>>
>>1197959
>trolling is only effective in deep water

Na
>>
>>1197918
oh my god thank you
>>
>>1198025
>tfw never fought an amberjack before because I don't have a boat
Jack crevalle are the poorfag's amberjack.
>>
File: one size.jpg (60 KB, 800x800)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
Anyone got experience with Spear Fishing?
I'm looking for equipment, I don't plan to dive since I'll be fishing in rivers mostly, but where I live the water is freezing cold all year round, I'll need a warm suit.

I've seen some nice suits like pic, but what's the hell is wrong with the sizes? how comes "one size" is the only size I can find?
Seriously... I need an equivalent of XXXL because from my experience with surfing suits, I need at least 2 sizes larger than my everyday pants' size, but there's literally nothing.

I know baggy suits are supposed to be larger compared to the non-baggy equivalent of the same size but, is that really the case? will one size actually fit?
>>
>>1197959
Mfw I caught a muskeye by trolling at 10 feet depth for an hour
>>
It seems like fishing dates can either go completely right or completely boring.
>>
>>1198274
Nothing is boring when Chad is there. It's only boring because you are.
>>
How viable is fishing for bluegill in a tiny backyard pond during a thunderstorm? I can't catch shit and I am getting wet but I am using garden snails as bait so maybe that's why.
>>
>>1198294
Shoulda been out there before the storm started. Usually the best time to fish is when a low pressure system is moving in
>>
>>1198305
I was, it started raining a few hours ago.
>>
>>1198307
No luck even then?
>>
>>1198307
is your hook too big? it could also be the snails, they just might not be used to eating them
>>
>>1198312
Nope, but I was only out there about 30 minutes before I got caught in it, but I wouldn't say this pond is filled to the [spoiler] bream

>>1198315
Yeah, it probably is the hook, I'll look for a smaller one in a moment but I did catch some yesterday with snails.
>>
File: pikefood.jpg (97 KB, 2000x870)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>1197789
bought this for my dad
>hasnt even casted it once
>>
File: downloadfile-31.jpg (146 KB, 800x526)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1196673
What kind of spoon should I get if I'm fishing off banks and docks 99% of the time?
>>
>>1198318
Hmm. Like skid said, downsize. Look for the smallest hooks you can find ideally. I assume you’re fishing them under a bobber? Make sure your confident the bait is close to the bottom. Go flip some rocks and try and find some worms if you think the snails might not be inticing enough.

I’m not really that sure how they behave mid storm so just try everywhere until you get s bite
>>
>>1196957
burbot or barbotte ?
>>
>>1198324
wooden spoons are best for spanking
>>
File: image.jpg (3.58 MB, 4032x3024)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
>>1198274
Nah man you just can't take her to a lake and sit there with bait unless she already likes fishing. If she's the outdoorsy type you gotta find a nice creek to walk down and catch sunfish in. Worst case she doesn't catch anything, but enjoys the hike. Or she catches her PB bass. Either one is cool.
>>
Skid, you think it would be a waste of time to tie any puff daddy’s? Running out of flys to tie with the materials I have
>>
File: cottonwood_fly.jpg (78 KB, 500x375)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>1198398
>puff daddy’s
probably worth while, though it looks like you're pretty well set on flies. if nothing else more time at the vice will never hurt. might also be worth just tying white CDC puffs and a small piece of brown foam to the biggest hook you can get them to float to look like cotton wood seeds for carp i cant take credit for this one, i found it online, but still. i'd imagine with a foam body instea of just brown thread it could probably float a pretty heavy #10 hook, maybe even a heavy #8
>>
File: IMG_20171028_112630.jpg (3.11 MB, 4640x2610)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>1198202
You dont need a boat (sort of) to fight an amberjack anon; You need a flotation device that will allow you to go say 400mtrs to half a km from the coast (a kayak, a cano or smthng), two or more heavy surf casting rods (sometimes classified as ultra heavy casting rods) 4,5-5,5 mtrs long, live cephalopod bait (squid or cuttle) a sturdy base 20000 reels and 1km of heavy pound braid (40-50lbs).
Arm your live bait with 3 to 4 hooks on 3mtrs braid leader (just use the same you use on the reels) conect it to a lead weight (i usualy opt for 150gr to 250gr depending on depth and curents).
Take your squid or cuttle in a small taper in the cayak and just slowly pudle to your target location while a friend helps from shore not to get any tangles, let it fall down as gently as possible, return get your favourite beach chair, a beer and just keep on looking at the tip of your rods (I also put little jingle bells on them). Getting an amberjack is not always assured (also has to do with the location time of day etc) but when you do you are going to shit your pants. The more rods you have the more area you can cover. Results are not always guaranted (went last sunday got nothing). Getting the squid or cuttle yourself adds to the adventure.
Disclamer never do it if the weather is shit, dont put your self in danger never attemp anything alone
pic related my cayak and a 12kg amberjack i caught this way a few more pics to follow
>>
File: IMG_20180204_100004.jpg (4.13 MB, 2610x4640)
4.13 MB
4.13 MB JPG
>>1198482
The set up
>>
File: IMG_20171028_110911.jpg (3.53 MB, 2610x4640)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>1198482
friend fighting a 16gk amberjack in Southern Peloponnese (it is quite the awesome communal fishing as the more rods you add the more chances you get and having fun with friends while waiting for the bite)
>>
File: censored.jpg (83 KB, 541x540)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1198482
The results (when the gods will it ofc once again I must press on the fact that fishing from shore is a hit and miss thing etc etc)
>>
>>1198374
dat bitch ain't wearing a bra
>>
>>1198324
Eppinger Dardevle or clones. If you’re cheap like I am and are looking for a good alternative at a cheaper price, Blue Fox Strobe spoons are excellent quality, the only qualms I have with them are 1. They come with shitty stock hooks that are massive and 2. Patterned ones are nickel backed only. As in, the 5 of Diamonds and Firetiger colors have nickel backs instead of brass ones. Then again, I switch out all my spoon hooks to feathered trebles anyway, plus you can just buy a solid brass spoon
>>
>>1198374
Huh, you're right. Probably not the best idea for a first date to sit down at a lake doing fuck all. Going to keep that in mind for next time.
>>
>tfw I can't catch a single topwater fish
>>
>>1198324
Swedish Pimples are real solid. Kastmaster are also good imo, but I only use the small sizes. Make sure you get a gold color as well as a silver. What are you trying to catch, what’s the water depth?

On a side note does anyone have any luck with the salmon/trout pattern spoons? Seems like they’re more for catching the fisherman than the fish.
>>
>>1198506
why would anyone desu
>>
File: 20180207_193227.jpg (1.26 MB, 1512x2016)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
Decided to go fishing for the first time and caught a little bass on my shitty ugly stick/piscifun/rapala jointed. I had alot of fun thanks for getting me into a hobbie boys
>>
File: IMG_20180207_215321.jpg (1.56 MB, 2592x1944)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>1196977

red this is all you will ever need for pike. its that same bucktail tied in reverse. it's nice to have 200 den. veevus GSP because you can really flare the bucktail and get a nice tight hold on it, though it's annoyingly slippery so to get it started it really helps to put super glue on the shank and start your thread on the glue, then the slipperiness is a blessing and a curse for making the thread dam when reverse tying the bucktail bacause you have to super glue the front of the wraps to keep the gsp thread from slipping up over it's self but then it will slip behind it's self and kinda get under the bucktail and really make it super secure. it's the only fly i really tie for pike, though im sure a large craft fur baitfish or deciever would work too for hammer handles. these ones are about 6 inches and 8 inches
>>
>>1198321
Why would you expect him to
>>
>>1198702
because they actually work on big bass and pike/muskies
>>
>>1196673
I asked my neighbor if he's fished the part of the river that flows behind my new house. He said he's pulled out some very large bluegill, pumpkinseed, and crappie out of it. I'm gonna take my buggy whip and see if I can't land one. It is a brackish river and in the wider mouth of it I've caught some nice redfish, black drum, specks and even a largemouth out of it.
>>
>>1198672
I like piscifun's stuff. I own a babysitter reel of there's and I'm considering buying their Platte fly reel. It's next to impossible to find a CNC reel with a sealed drag at the price they sell it for.
>>
>>1198775
*baitcaster
Stupid phone. I really shouldn't browse /out/ while tying flies.
>>
>>1198775
>>1198777
personally i think i'd go for the redington behemoth. yeah it's cast, yeah it's drag isn't sealed, but it still has an insane drag that i think tops out at 35 pounds (which lets be honest unless you're tarpon fishing you wont need) and instead of a one year warranty it's a lifetime warranty
>>
Rod is STM66PR
Reel is Abu Garcia ProMax 20
Medium power
5.1 gear ratio
6’6”

Needed a rod to shove in my backpack and a reel to be decent for my first setup
How did I do

Fishing trout
>>
>>1198800
the reel should be fine, but i would have gone a little more in on the rod. should work for a while though, run it until it breaks then get something better
>>
>>1198808
That was the point
It was on sale and seemed decent
If I break it I’ll just spend another 12$
>>
>>1198812
Honestly for a medium rod that isn't going to be that sensitive it does the job. Just don't expect to feel when small fish nibble your bait off or you get some small bites. I would have gone with a 20 dollar berkeley trout dough combo
>>
>>1198815
Used my friends medium for a while now
I’ll pick up a medium light at some point
I just want a reel to last and a shitty rod to learn on
>>
>>1198817
when it breaks i'd probably reccomend something like a fenwick eagle travel rod, specifically the light. it's ~$70 and they're really decent for the money. some people say they're not as fast as they're advertised to be (most are advertised as a medium fast, but i'd say it is a particularly slow medium fast, more of a fast medium) but that's good for trout, especially when you're getting in to really light line, because it will better absorb head shakes and runs, helping protect your lighter line (so if you're in a small creek after 12 inch rainbows with 2 pound test and somehow wind up hooked in to a 20 inch brown trout your softer rod will be better able to absorb it's head shakes and runs)
>>
>>1198808
>>1198862
>skids autism continues
>>
>>1198892
is it not a bad rod?
>>
File: 20180208_223526.jpg (2.78 MB, 5312x2988)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
Got bored and tied these autistic meme hook set ups, will I catch any fish with these? Or should I just stick to the simple hook on a line
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 657x527)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1198951
I don't have a lot of faith in that jerry-rigged treble, knotless knots only work with a single hook so they stay flush with the shank.
>>
File: IMG_20170603_073633.jpg (282 KB, 856x550)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
It's astounding how many dumb plebs here think crankbaits are a meme. The only time they don't work is the dead of winter (water temp sub-55 degrees).
>>
>>1198991
Not even then. I’ve heard of plenty of people that use small crankbaits with tight wobbles im the winter. Just put suspendots or suspendstrips on em so they, well, suspend.
>>
>>1198991
I just never have luck with cranks. I'd probably give them another try if I ever get my boat running.
>>
File: 20180208_114938.jpg (1.97 MB, 3984x2988)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
Plowing the lake. The absolute madman.
>>
>>1199045

Wow I hate that damn rotation shit
>>
>>1198991
I'll only use them when I'm moving my canoe around. Good for snagging white perch.
>>
>>1199034
>boat not running
There's your answer. Cranks are great for hitting a lot of water. If you're stuck on the bank they won't do you much good.
>>
>>1199069
RIP the place you fish. White perch are fishery destroyers
>>
>>1198951
>top right
that's a treble hook and you can buy them anywhere you can buy fishing equipment
>left
cut them free and pretend you never tried it
>bottom
potentially an idea in a vague sense, in that you can hook a big bait with a smaller hook but you might as well just bridle it
>>
Should I buy a couple of really solid, yet expensive combos or a handful of decent, yet inexpensive combos?

Like, a bunch of Fenwick Eagles and Lunkerstiks or a couple of Falcons?
>>
>>1199133
Depends on if you are fishing for vastly different fish. I personally can get by with just an UL and ML so I have some pretty nice shit. St croix avid ML with a stradic does 80% of my fishing
>>
>>1199133
what kind of fishing are you planning on doing?
>>
File: IMG_20170507_101411057.jpg (2.62 MB, 2432x4320)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>1199117
>White perch
In the spring I believe they make spawning runs up the river as they lay down in the tidal sections year round.
Either way this riveer sustains a ton of other fish. Maybe they ruin ponds and lakes tho
>>
>>1199133
How many species do you want to target, what kind of fishing, and how much do you want the rod to be the perfect setup for a specific technique.
>>
>>1199187
Yeah that's different I guess where you are in their natural habitat. They get introduced to reservoirs and are quite effective at overpopulating and vastly reducing the number of desirable gamefish by eating all the fry and fingerlings.
>>
>>1199145
>>1199151
Bass. Well, bass techniques. I catch the occasional pickerel or pike and have no qualms about it. My biggest question is, should I stick with the tried and true ML/XF spinning, M/M, M/F, MH/F, H/F combos? Or get really specific combos for each technique?
>>
>>1199211
Personally, I would go with a nice M or ML spinning rod, a nice MH/MF casting, and then a nice MH/F or H/F casting.

With those you can do pretty much anything you want. I would rather have those three in really nice setups, than meh rods that cover every technique.
>>
>>1199215
>a heavy rod
>for bass
y tho

Are you regularly catching 25 lb bass are something?
>>
>>1199218
for ripping them out of bullshit before they even have a chance of getting back in it. imagine you're flipping the pilings of a dock. if you don't have the ass to get them out of there in an instant they're just going to wrap you up and cost you a jig. that's why people use #20 flouro and mh rods for bass, so they can get them out of bullshit even if their line is a little frayed on it or it's a decent bass
>>
>>1199208
I hear a lot of other panfish do the same? People blame crappie for the same reasons right?
>>
>>1199231
crappie get to a decent size at least and are arguably better eating, or at the very least a lot less fileting per lb of meat.
>>
>>1199221
But where's the fun in that. There's no fight. My favorite part about fishing with UL is when a lunker smallie takes your shit and you gotta battle to keep it on the hook. Plus does anything make you happier than seeing your drag scream? I understand when fishing heavy cover though.
>>
File: 0119181415.jpg (251 KB, 2241x3984)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>1199235
There's a crappie pond near me, everything is a dink, tell biggest bluegill I caught wasn't even worth the trouble of filleting. Pic related is a typical fish in that pond. And the largemouth, if you can find them , are all dinks as well. Figure a couple pike or big largies would solve that problem, but even if I could transport them I wouldn't be in the place to do something like that. There is a very similar pond that gave way to some better quality fish after a few pike had their fun with the dinks.
>>
>>1199236
I literally do not care about the fight. I want to catch the fish. If I want to fight a fish I'll go to the coast. Plus throw a frog on an UL and lmk how that goes amigo.

And it's still fun to fight fish with a heavy rod imo
>>
>>1198991
For bass fishing that's probably the case, but for lots of other fish no way. Nothing feels better than steelhead on a crankbait in subfreezing temps.
>>
File: IMG_20171220_161915.jpg (1.43 MB, 2592x1944)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>1199240
>Nothing feels better than steelhead on a crankbait in subfreezing temps.
except a steelhead on a well swung fly in sub freezing temps
>>
>>1199236
As your last statement said, it's all about where you fish.

I relate with your example of a smallie, and we both probably know that's being caught in a nice flowing river where crappy cover is all just flushed away.
>>
>>1198862
I've heard good things about Fenwick. I used one recently and it's far better than mine.
>>
>>1199244
No, lake bound. Rocks logs weeds. I have an underwater video of a smallie wacking some bait, if I can learn how to convert it to webm I will.
>>
>>1199237
It's a great idea until someone takes the dink-slaying fish out to keep. Too much dink-slayers and then you just have no food too.
>>
>>1199211
I always say the first 3 rods people should get for pond and lake fishing are:
1)M/F spinning and 6lb-10lb mono or 10lb-20lb braid
2)MH spinning with 12lb-17lb mono or 30lb braid
3)UL or L spinning with 4lb mono or <10lb braid

And then depending which you use much, start thinking about a baitcaster. The M is good for large panfish and bass and smaller cats or carp, MH for bass in weeds, possibly northern pike, or soaking bait for catfish and carp, and then the UL for panfish or smaller bass.
>>
>>1199245
My fenwick eagle kinda sucks. Not a fan. Feels like a walmart rod. It's 9'6 ML and fantastic at casting but only due to it's length, the graphite and guides are meh. I also got a used st croix wild river that is massively superior for a comparable price to a new fenwick eagle.
>>
>>1199245
the only problem i ever had with a fenwick rod was my 6 weight fly rod, it broke one day while practicing casting, so i sent it back and got a new one, all it costed me was ~$8 usd shipping to get it there
>>1199267
my only experience with an eagle is the fly rod, but it feels decent. a little slower than advertised, but decent. i have a higher end rod from them (a silver hawk ss, i think it retailed ~$120 but it actually feels really nice
>>
File: BwZ3MFdh.jpg (85 KB, 768x1024)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1196673
How big of a meme did I just fall for?
>>
>>1199236
speaking for myself here, you are completely missing the point of what that rod is intended to do. When you're fishing a top water in thick pond vegetation or lily pads there is no such thing as "fighting the fish". as soon as that fish blows up on your bait and you lean into a hard hook set you need to work as fast as you can to bring that fish up onto the surface and ski it across the top of the weeds. In the places I fish if I wait even a second too long after setting the hook the fish will dart away in any direction thereby wrapping my line with an ass load of lily pads and almost always allowing it to then spit my lure or making it an absolute pain in the ass to haul both the bass and a few pounds of salad with it up onto the shore or where ever you are fishing.

pond fishing hollow body frogs for largies is easily the most fun way to catch them imo. Id have to agree though that small mouth are superior in every way. Even on top water they make largies seem kinda meh, but then again you cant catch a small mouth in a comfy pond that you have all to yourself either
>>
>>1199117
they've been in that lake/river for 50 years, i think it's fine
>>
It's been like 8 months since I last posted but I was talking about how great spoons were and it seemed like nobody used them. That changed yet? Am I still the only fucker that touches them?
>>
>>1199429
mostly just saltwater guys and pike guys using them still
>picture unrelated
>>
>>1199433
It's my go-to since it works on LMB, SMB, stripers, perch, you fuckin' name it. To each their own I guess.
>>
File: 0130181540a.jpg (376 KB, 2988x5312)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>1196673
I'm gonna get some live bait for ice fishing tip ups tomorrow. What should I get? Suckers? Fatheads? Crappie minnows? Should I go big or small? Pike , musky, steelhead, possibly lake trout. Also how do you rig your tip ups?
>>
>>1199437
yeah they do work on everything. my favorite thing to do with a spoon is to use a tiny kast master or swedish pimple for crappie, i buy one of the super tiny ones an put a single hook on it, then hook on either a small curly tail or one of the gulp alive flukes
>>
>>1199429
Yes, pike fishing though, haven't had much luck fishing phebees in a long time for trout. Mostly just spinners for anything else though. As far as jigging goes I still jig with spoons
>>
>>1199429
I use them for trout, pike, and panfish. Spoons are vastly superior to spinners imo.

>both small and dense
>both put off flash and vibration
>spoons come with split rings, which means customization of hooks/attachment points (e.g. a swivel)
>putting on a swivel means no line twist
>naked single hook, dressed single hook, naked treble, dressed treble; you can switch it up depending on the situation/preferences
>>
>>1199484
Spoons are a meme. Maybe 2 out of 100 times I'm fishing I will think that a spoon is the perfect lure for the current situation. Usually when shore fishing for walleye at dusk. Spoons aren't good for fishing cover, don't produce nearly as much vibration as a spinner, are easier pushed by the wind, aren't as good for trolling from a kayak as a crankbait. If I had a motorized boat I would probably still just use crankbaits.
>>
>>1199438
In my personal experience shiners survive better in the cold temperatures and stay alive longer on the hook
>>
>>1199494
cold water = higher oxygen saturation
more oxygen = happier fish with hooks through their spine
>>
>>1199498
hooking your baitfish in the spine
you're doing it wrong
you need to hook the meat, if you break the back bone they stop swimming properly and die faster
>>
>>1199506
>don't hook through the spine
it's true. hook them through their eyes so they swim erratically to entice the bigger fishies.
>>
>>1199484
I've literally never caught a bsss on spoon. I've caught plenty of lady fish tho, so I use them at the coast. I think a spinnerbait is better for the freshwater species imo.

>>1199508
>hook them through their eyes
I couldn't do it. I'm a pussy and I'd feel bad for the fish, unless I was going to 100% eat the fish I caught. That's my main problem with using live bait. I feel bad for the bait fish.
>>
File: intrigue.jpg (35 KB, 635x468)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1199516
>feels bad for sticking a baitfish with a hook
>doesn't feel bad about sticking a bigger fish with a hook
>>
>>1199516
>feel bad for bait
you are kidding me right? no one this retarded can survive on their own.
>>
>>1199506
through the spine is just my style. I would rather have them die in less than 10 minutes so they don't suffer an extended time. They are also still alright for another 5-10 minutes after the minnow dies. A dozen minnows lasts me 3-4 hours at this rate.
>>
>>1199516
>using bait fish
ok so you feel bad for using bait fish. no big deal. you are a sensitive sort. but you must realize that by purchasing live bait you have entered into a contract to use the life for its best possible use. if you do not use them at their optimal you have wasted your money, time and their life. hooking them through the eyes, blinds them to their fate. if just released into the wild they will still die from predation. their fate is sealed. it is up to you to use it to its optimal.
>>
so how do i tighten the arm on my reel to stop it from wiggling around when i use it? its not much, but its more than when i first got it.
>>
File: IMG_20170909_185630.jpg (1.65 MB, 1944x2592)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>1199539
there is a knob on the other side of the reel, try tightening it
>>
>>1199541
I would guess that was already tried. Could be bearing wear. Could just need some grease
>>
>>1199542
the thing is, it's the only way to tighten it. if that doesn't work, it's just wear, and it's not going to be tight again.
>>
>>1199543
yeah unless it is something nice that you can send in for maintenance like a shimano. or I guess take to a reel mechanic
>>
>>1199543
>>1199542
>>1199541
It’s tighnened all the way.
Is a little wiggle natural?
I work with other machines and sometimes prices just get loose over time and you have to take it apart and tighten it
>>
>>1199547
Yeah but it isn't preferable. Reels cheaper than 50 bucks tend to have more play. But even a high end can develop some with wear. It only takes a fraction of a mm.
>>
>>1199516
I agree with you. Personally think its disrespectful to use living things for use of a lure. Nothing deserves to go through turmoil just because you think it will be easier to trick a fish into biting it. Lures work for me, and so I use them.
>>
>>1199521
>>1199522
I don't want to kill something so I can have fun. I don't care if other people do it, but it bothers me some reason.

There are exceptions tho. I'll buy fresh cut bait since that fish was going to be cut up by the bait shop either way.

>>1199526
Like I said it's not a big deal if I'm gonna eat the fish I'm trying to catch, and yeah if I buy bait fish they're gonna get used.

But if I'm purely doing C&R I would rather not use live bait.
>>
>>1199493
>a lure that literally hasn’t changed for decades is a meme
Sure buddy, ask your grandpa what he thinks of spoons.

>>1199516
Never said that I used spoons for bass. However, I know that people use em in the winter over schools of bass with luck.
>>
>>1199659
Old people don’t know dog shit about fishing. Yeah maybe one out of 100 will have a clue but almost all of your old timer anglers are using shit gear like ugly stiks and subpar old ass lures like spoons. Will they catch fish? Yeah sure. Will they work as well as some modern lures? Nope
>>
File: 0402171209a.jpg (1.62 MB, 2988x5312)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>1199516
>Feeling bad for the bait fish
I understand tg, in the past when fishing with them on a bobber I hook them through the mouth so that way if I don't catch anything they don't have to die, but that's always been where I catch the bait with a small piece of worm from the same body of water that I fished them in. But since I'm going to be buying the bait and bringing it there I don't really plan on putting a fish that's been hooked and stuff back into the bucket in case it does and kills off other fish. Speaking of which , how should I go about keeping them? I was thinking using an old jar of creatine and setting it down one of the holes. I'm not really fond of the idea of keeping them in a bucket on the ice, because insulated or not I'm pretty sure by the end of the day I'll have a frozen block of fish . Also heading to the local tackle shop now, any last minute meme baits I never heard of that I should pick up for generic freshwater fishing?
>>
>>1199666
>Old lures don't work anymore
Canadian wigglers used to work really well, you'd catch your limit on one of those in a day. Now you might get a dink pike here or there but it's nothing like it used to be.

I don't know if the fish learn, or if my dad was exaggerating how good fishing used to be in the old days.
>>
Are collapsible backpack/pocket rods a meme or are they usable?
>>
>>1199674
I use one
Seems allright
But my only fishing is done while backpacking
>>
>>1199666
99 out of 100 anglers in general use shit gear like uglystiks. I’m not saying that spoons are god tier and will catch any species at any time in any conditions. However, they are extremely versatile and definitely have their place in every tackle box. For bass, their purpose might be a niche one, but for other species they work wonders. I don’t care how asshurt you get over the fact that spoons work. But they do. Simple as that.
>>
>>1199666
>>1199712
To clarify, I use shakey heads, drop shots, crankbaits, poppers, jerkbaits, tubes, brush hogs, paca craws, Texas rigs, Carolina rigs, jigs, jika rigs, wacky rigs, ned rigs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, swim jigs, paddle tails, and spoons. Each has a time and place that they work best. Whichever one is your favorite (mine is jerkbaits btw) does not mean that it is always the best tool for the job.
>>
>>1199711
what one do you have? have you managed to bank anything with it?
>>
Good fishing reel for backpacking? I have the Fenwick travel rod, now I need a reel with a light weight case
>>
>>1199763
All my fishing as a child was done on it
It is the 1999 version of the current 6’6” Shakespeare travel rod.
I didn’t go fishing much as a child but it’s record is
1 cat
2 blue gill
A bunch of trout
A bunch of bass

I’m waiting for Fenwicks travelrod to arrive in the mail
My biggest concern is that the tubes would slip when I cast. But mine is a 6 piece and I have no issues

Best thing is you can get a Shakespeare travel rod for around 15$
So if it sucks then oh well
>>
>>1199782
Literally any spinning reel will work. They are all exactly the same. Just wrap a shirt or something around it to act as a case. Going to provide the same protection as a little fabric bag you might get with it. If your looking for an actual hard case to put it in your looking at something really bulky and probably not even something you’d want for how much the nice ones cost.

Just buy a shimano sienna for $25 and if it breaks after a few years who gives a fuck it’s $25. They are good reels for how cheap they are too. Same goes for cheaper abu’s and diawa spinning reels.
>>
>>1199787
Nigga the sienna ain't good. The one I have was fucked up after half a dozen trips because the stupid drag. Pflueger orion or something abu or daiwa base level with a standard drag would be better.
>>
>>1199786
>picking the worst cliff bar
>>
>>1196931
lmao based af
They should start a joint operation with ICE - I guarantee you 1/4 of those fishing aren't legal
>>
>>1199820
Had mine for 4 years. Still works fine

The drag on it is shit though. I only use mine for perch so maybe that’s why I’ve never had an issue
>>
>>1199842
mmmm toofpase
>>
>>1197067
>>1197075
Any recommendations for a good ultra-light? I'm a flyguy but have been wanting to get a decent one to fish my heavier ties.
>>
>>1199857
just cast it with a heavier fly rod, and learn the belgian cast, it makes casting annoyingly heavy flies and heavy double nymph rigs easier
>>
>>1199857
Daiwa presso
>>
>>1199857
if you have the money a st croix is good. I really like the berkeley trout dough though, it's a fiberglass UL so it's noodley and much more fun.
>>
File: DGorgG6XkAIPKdu.png (11 KB, 619x453)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>set pinfish trap out
>had about 10
>as im pulling the trap out one pokes me and I drop the trap with the hatch open
>pinfish all get out except one
>cant go out for redfish tonight now
Ahhhhh, why am I so clumsy. Anyone else literally too retarded for fishing here or is it just me?
>>
>>1199865
literally just soak a little #8 aberdeen hook with a little squid or shrimp on it and get them the normal way
>>
File: donoteat.jpg (64 KB, 547x596)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>
>>1199237
So do bass/catfish not eat the little crappie? Spines too long? I know they ruin opportunities for smaller bass/panfish to get bigger b/c of prey competition but I'd have to imagine a big LMB/catfish would eat like 50 of those in a month.
>>
>>1199861
I can already cast whatever. I just want an ultralight for those ultra-tight spots on the shore that I simply can't flyfish from.
>>1199863
>>1199864
Thanks
>>
>>1199885
get an opst commando head so you dont need a back cast
>>
>>1199889
Lol, I'm talkin about fishing from a shore that is pure brush with branches 9ft above me. Lookin into a small UL that I can just flick somethin out with. I can cast most anything most ways with a flyrod....but these remote ponds that are overgrown are inaccessible to me unless I get a UL or a inflatable kayak to get into the middle with my flyrod.
>>
>>1199871
>the normal way
The normal way is with pins and a #4. That way you're not pulling up other shit when you fish with shrimp.
>>
Why are freshwater drum considered rough fish but redfish are treated as gamefish?
>>
>>1199906
because they're hideous and smell like shit
>>
File: nasty.jpg (318 KB, 615x820)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
>>1199906
Look at this nasty fucker I caught. Has a giant sore on it's gill and covered in shit and just plain nasty. Most of them look like this at the larger size. Their gills are also covered in parasites. And even if they are healthy they ooze out slime when you catch them and are fucking impossible to unhook since they have incredibly tough fleshy mouths.
>>
>>1199896
no fish for the pins the normal way
>>1199894
i'm just pulling your chain. i have no reccomendations unfortunately. i do have a 5 wt i'm going to send out to tx to be converted in to a 9 foot UL though
>>1199906
because freshwater fisherman are scared of anything that pulls
>>
>>1199915
>no fish for the pins the normal way
Sorry, misinterpreted your post. I dont have the time and since the waters cold throwing a trap for 6 hrs is much easier than trying to find where they are hiding at. They have been elusive or thats what id be doing.
>>
>>1199918
fair enough
>>
>>1199874
wut
>>
File: 20170916_153318.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1198482
Watch out for for the big boats.More often than not they are not watching for you.They can kick up one hell of a wake too.
>>
>>1199977
probably not a bad idea to keep an air horn where you can get to it in a hurry, because if they're coming right at you you have to let them know you're there
>>
File: 20170708_152838.jpg (702 KB, 2560x1440)
702 KB
702 KB JPG
>>1199981
> keep an air horn where you can get to it in a hurry
This
Also a bilge pump,and anchor.You are always moving if you are not anchored.
>>
just took my ultralight setup on its first outing. took a bit getting used to the casting. after a few tangles i got the hang of it. unfortunately i didn't catch a damn thing. i dont think spoons and rooster tail were a good choice at the lake. seems these spots require bait.

thankfully i didn't loose a single lure despite several close calls
>>
>>1199994
i imagine using a backpack as a tackle bag (which i already do, bugger spending $40 on a tackle bag when i can go to walmart and buy a backpack and 3 plano boxes for 25 bucks) then keep an air horn in the side pouch thingy that is made for water bottles. you literally just have to grab your tackle bag, and then since its right on the outside you dont even have to remove it to use it.
>>
File: phike.jpg (30 KB, 312x473)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1200000
whoever you are, nice numbers.

>fish for relevancy, dont want to get b&
>>
>>1200019
> backpack as a tackle bag
That would work.I usually keep a dry bag under the bungees.Its a pain in the ass to get anything out of it while on the water tho.I bought a creel this winter I'm gonna keep it under the half skirt.
>>
>>1199842
whats the best?
>>
>>1200044
Is that a grass pickerel?
>>
>>1200070
juvenile pike, probably about a year old
>>
>>1197746
I've tied some flies like that for flyfishing the Laguna Madre as well as a crawfish version for freshwater.
>>
File: IMG_20180209_212127.jpg (2.74 MB, 2592x1944)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
so it seems that the under fluff in craft fur actually makes nice dubbing. i have no doubt a carp will eat this
>>
File: rainbow.jpg (102 KB, 900x263)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>1199786
yo. Im in coarsegold and could use a bro to show me the places to /out/ here.
you got an email or just wanna post a block of text?
>>
File: c43.jpg (29 KB, 450x450)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1200143
>coarsegold
>he lives in commiefornia
>>
>>1200147
its nice if you enjoy coyotes or quail
>>
>>1200153
enjoy it while it lasts, they'll probably ban bullets in a few years
>>
>>1200153
i have family who lives in visalia
the nights are the best
but that area is a mexican infested shithole
>>
>>1200174
fucking tell me about it.
wait until you go fishing in the sierra nevadas
>80 person hmong family reunion
>trash entire camp ground, cars blocking every road, trash all over the place, bring rugs and carpet entire square mile
>keep every fish they catch, indian fish, none of them have a license

mexicans are worse overall though
>>
>>1200074
>>1200070
I don't hear a lot about the other esox species
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esox

Hard to identify.
>>
>>1200074
Pike dont have that black line going through their eye. It's a kind of pickerel I'd say. Probably grass or redfin
>>
>>1200143
most of my fishing is done on my travel rod with inline spinners.
im very much into overnights with backpacking so i just use all trails and look up camping and fishing
Dinky creek is great.
Bass lake is fun but crowded
the upper san Joaquin above millerton is pretty good
[spoiler] I dont know shit anon, i just like camping and fishing [/spoiler]
>>
File: nato.jpg (86 KB, 458x640)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>1200188
well nigga you ever need company hit me up. Ive been to dinkey creek, bass lake.
I just am tying to figure out backpacking trails and shit where I dont have to deal with all the horrible yosemite bullshit.
I was thinking of camping wawona this weekend.
>doesnt really matter though, I have no gear, my good bag and tent were left in Oregon and all my tackle is for stripers anyways.
but Im down if you are. like a weekend trip for sure.
>>
>>1200181
yeah they can be tricky to identify. granted a juvenile northern pike looks similar to an american pickerel or grass pickerel, but the telling features are that the juvenile pike is much slimmer (look at adults of grass or american pickerel, they have the body of a 50 inch northern pike from canada but they're like 12 inches long) and the other thing is that as a pike ages the vertical lines turn in to spots, and in the picture you can already see that starting to happen in places the american pickerel doesn't get them and grass pickerel have a lateral line area that is lighter in colour than the rest of the body, sometimes its almost gold, then i doubt it's a chain pickerel because i have literally never seen or heard of one coming from that reservior, or the river that feeds in to it. the river that feeds in to it, however, is teeming with little 20-30 inch pike that i love to chase with a big streamer and my 8 weight
>>
File: 0123181236a.jpg (201 KB, 2241x3984)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>1200048
Pic related is my tackle bag. Fits about everything I need.
>>
>>1200190
yea bro hit me up sometime
arciticodden@gmail.com
though at least for this month i am all booked with college and work
>>
>>1199874
I remember when that tilapia killed my family.
>>
File: 1511227825602.jpg (51 KB, 913x685)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1200188
>>1200190
you two should hook up, you both sound lonely and live 10 miles from each other.
>>
File: d5s6w75.png (19 KB, 696x457)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>1200226
>>
>>1200226
>>1200237
this place is nothing but old people and yuppies guys. I think I might try and fuck him.
but now I guess going camping in CO next weekend so after that.
>>
Fuck, I need to get out fishin. This is prime time for bass and I haven’t really been fishing in months. I have so many baits I need to try out before it’s March and I have to go back to Texas rigs.

Gettin all soapy and naked with girl tonight was fun, but I really want to land some fish.
>>
>>1200255
if she breath she a hoe, but fishing wont leave you for some old fart with a boat and a heart condition
>>
>>1200266
Fishing didn’t give me a BJ in the shower tonight either...
>>
>>1200267
true, but fishing wont make you pretend to like your mother in law
>>
>>1200267
Carp are considered a pest in Australia, and Aussies are actively encouraged to fish them and dispose of them humanely. There have been multiple reports of young adults catching these fish for oral sex. STRAYAA
>>
File: pharyngeal teeth.jpg (102 KB, 500x667)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>1200331
but the teeth are deeper in the-
>>
Last saturday I went out to a Jetty and had a throw, caught 1 Bream on my first cast, but then nothing for hours. This saturday I did the same things and caught another Bream on the first cast. After than I worked around the entire Jetty and couldn't catch another fish. Any suggestions, am I doing something wrong? I was using beef as bait with a very standard jetty set up.
>>
>>1200333
Nice trips, maybe they kill the fish first? The teeth don't look sharp.
>>
>>1200331
I'm not Australian but I've fucked a carp in the mouth before
>>
>>1200335
>kill the fish first
mite as well use my fleshlight then
>>
>>1200335
i mean the jaws of a vice aren't sharp either but i still wouldn't want my dick clamped in them
>>
>>1200103
Do you look for carp-sign (bubbles/mouths hitting topwater) when you flyfish for them? Or just go to known carp areas?
>>
>>1200074
>>1200074
not a northern desu
>>
File: IMG_20170910_023404.jpg (978 KB, 2592x1944)
978 KB
978 KB JPG
>>1200459
i sight fish them. basically i walk around on shallow flats (usually less than 4 feet deep) and look for the actual fish. to catch it on the fly it has to be actively feeding, then once i see it i slowly stalk in to a comfortable range to make a cast to it, try to drop the fly about a foot infront of it, maybe a little past it, and try to get it to notice my fly and decide it's interesting enough to taste. sometimes they will see my fly, and instantly swim over to hoover it, and other times they'll look at it and follow it for 10 feet before cautiously sucking it in
>>
File: 123.jpg (74 KB, 640x640)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>
>>1200331
>Desert
>Pick up trucks
>Fish fuckers

You know straya and murica aren't so different after all.
>>
File: auzzie.jpg (45 KB, 502x478)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>1200671
Australia is just Florida on a global scale
>bullshit animals
>bullshit bugs/spiders
>some old people in ritzy areas
>most people are like pic related
>bullshit weather
>invasive species run a muck
Australia is the Florida of the world
>>
>>1200658
Thanks for the tips. Got a local lake where half of it is pretty clear flats and apparently there are monster carp/LMB/bullheads that dwell there. It's the least fished portion of the lake because it requires a boat (wading isn't an option because of the mud pits/quicksand/4ft snapping turtles)
>>
File: corp.jpg (883 KB, 1600x1200)
883 KB
883 KB JPG
>>1200699
that sounds absolutely perfect. i'd probably run a 7 or 8 weight with a 12 foot 1x leader and a fly that's a #4 or #6
here's a dink i got in a creek behind some stores once, he followed the fly probably 20 feet and ate like 12 feet away from me
>>
>use my 6 peice
>connections are super lose
>don’t think about it
>cast
>throw 4/6 pieces in the lake
>panic and jump in and swim after it

Always remember to tighten your rods friends
>>
>>1200192
I never knew pike actually aged that line. Good to know.
>>
File: Juvie-greenwater.jpg (43 KB, 640x348)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1200710
+1 i once shot the tip section off of my 8 weight in to the river. luckily i had a big streamer bolted on so it was easy to just strip back the line and get my rod tip back, but still
>>1200718
yeah it's weird.
>>1200467
here's a little something to back up my claim, a picture of a known juvenile pike that, while healthier than the pike i posted, has the same markings
http://www.esoxrepublic.com/about.html
>picture posted here as well, the link is just further evidence
>>
>saterday
>it's dark so everyone on the east probably isnt fishing anymore if they were fishing at all
>thread is dead though
>>
>>1200787
yeah really the only thing I am looking forward to right now is when my aliexpress lures get here in a month and steelhead season takes off.
>22F outside
>but been above and below freezing several times this week so the ice is weak
>maybeillgofishingnextweek.jpg
>>
>>1200804
i need to get a car so i can drive in this cold up to the river an hour away so i can dead drift some eggs for the steel
>>
File: meme.jpg (43 KB, 693x501)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1200710
>casting before putting the line through the guides

cool story bro
>>
>>1200836
why didnt they just say 1/4 of an ounce?
>>
>>1200787
I skunked.
>>
>>1200787
I recently discovered a warm water spillway 5 minutes from my college. It’s supposed to rain all weekend so the water will be high and muddy, but I’m gonna try to get out there and catch some smallies asap.
>>
>>1200858
F
>>1200899
dubs confirms. good luck on smallies
>>
File: 52966919_p9.png (318 KB, 600x1000)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
>>1200787
i just got back from my evening fishing trip (west coast)
didn't catch a single fish for the second day in a row. ive been trying to get away from bottom fishing because it's boring as fuck, but it seems like the fish only take worm baits in this manner at these inner city lakes. i really really wanted spoons and spinners to work....
>>
>>1200902
>fishing the single most over pressured bodies of water ever
>surprised when he's not getting anything
have you considered fishing somewhere that is maybe, i dont know, in nature?
>>
>>1200903
most of my fishing is at the surf, inner city lake is something to do after work near where i live.
>>
>>1200904
eh fair enough i guess
>>
anyone in here ever fuck around with a rod with an acid twist for big game?
>>
Kinda getting disillusioned ice fishing catching and dinks all day. According to my fancy watch I walked 8 miles around the ice today and pic related is the best fish I got. Hundreds of dink perch taking bait of a size they had no business taking.
>>
>>1200937
The way I see it, and the way I enjoy it is as an excuse for a bunch of drunk drunk canadians/new englanders to sit out on the ice and grill hotdogs and have beer. I don't think it's really enjoyable as a solo venture.
>>
File: 312 Jan. 17 22.58.jpg (1.11 MB, 1781x883)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>1200902
>powerbait
>cup of crawlers
tell me about it bruh.
>>
File: resiz21.jpg (159 KB, 747x1327)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>1200916
i have a jig rod wrapped like that. works well
>>
>>1200949
i'm thinking about getting a fiberglass blank, either a 130 blank or an infinity blank for surf fishing big sharks (like, 5+ pound stingray as bait kinda sharks) acid wrapped. does it actually keep your rod oriented farther? are there draw backs besides casting distance?
>>
>>1200944
what the hell is this infernal pond
>>
>>1200944
What in the absolute fuck is that picture you posted. Looks like fishing hell
>>
>>1200956
>>1200955
Looks like a fishing derby for kids. Usually they stock devent fish for these occasions
>>
>>1200961
Few seconds of research leads me to believe the disgrace in pic related is the kids pond that’s caged in near the “lake” next to it. I seriously can’t even for a second imagine how unbelievably awful it must be to like fishing and have absolute shit hole fisheries like this as your only option. Only fish that don’t need to constantly be stocked in there are carp since no one will eat them lol. What a fucking joke
>>
File: SP.jpg (193 KB, 1265x775)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
Went fishing today and got 6 Carp, a Silver Perch and a god damned mussel. Had a little 4WD fun in a nearby quarry on the way home. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday IMO.
>>
>>1200944
>>1200965
Pics like this make me thankful we have hundreds of miles of River and lake fishing in my rural area.
>>
Oh damn time to bake bread!
>>
File: rotten.jpg (12 KB, 194x259)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1200965
>Only fish that don’t need to constantly be stocked in there are carp since no one will eat them lol
i mean i've had asians ask if i was going to keep my carp. legit some asian guy in a dress shirt and nice pants asked me for a carp last year while i was fishing in a park. with no concern for his clothes he grabbed it under the gill and kept walking as if it was normal for a man in a dress shirt, tie, and nice pants to be carrying a 7 pound fish around.
>>
>>1200976
Sure some people will eat them. But not enough to eradicate them out of the water like the trout and catfish that are stocked in the “lake” I was talking about
>>
>>1200980
>>1200980
>>1200980

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.