[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 20180210_142503.jpg (1.79 MB, 1400x1050)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
Found some woodland which hasn't been visited by anyone in years. Completely overgrown by brambles. Land is owned by some large international owned oil company who owns lots of land around here and don't do anything with it.

I've cleared out a square patch of brambles and I'm going to build a cabin out of pallets. Layed down some concrete blocks (I can only transport 7 at a time as I have a small car). Found a local dude who can sell me 80 pallets cheap.

Gonna put a membrane in-between the pallets and the blocks.

How do I level out the ground? I have a spade and string.

Also any additional advice is most appreciated. First time doing something like this.
>>
Get some camo netting to cover your cabin with.
>>
>>1200469
Are you that nissan micra bong from the previous thread?
>>
>>1200469
>buying pallets
Drive around alleyways and pick them up for free
>>
File: 1517082298736.jpg (108 KB, 1010x1024)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>1200469
>anon incriminates himself for premeditated vagrancy on the internet
Godspeed you absolute lunatic.
>>
>>1200493
Lol, you can't do this in first world countries, mate
>>
>>1200501
Yea you can. Places throw pallets out all the time. You just have ask.
>>
>>1200481
Yesh
>>
>>1200504
Jesus anon, does the sky always look like that? I like your spirit tho
>>
>>1200503
On gumtree and free cycle there are loads of free 10/20 pallets here and there, my problem is transport.

Some dude says he'll do them for £3 delivered. It works out cheaper than renting or buying a van.
>>
>>1200469
>>>/diy/
>>
>>1200517
Dont mention pallets on diy. You wont get anything useful out of it.
>>
>>1200520

>>>/diy/1329219
Now we wait...
>>
>>1200529
Be prepared for a slow burn. That boards even slower than this one.
>>
>>1200531
I've got time.
>>
I think this is a cool idea, to set up a semi-permanent camp or makeshift shelter in an area nobody gets out to, as kind of an off the grid vacation home/SHTF location. The key would be to not leave anything of value actually in the structure, as it may get stolen. Its also going to be tricky to keep this hidden, as you're naturally going to form paths to and from the structure while building it and actually staying there. You can take different pathways each time you go in and out. Another idea is to set up 2-3feet thick layer of living brambles, thorns, bushes etc onto a small section of picket fence - interlace them through the wires and fence. then use this to block the entrance to the path.

>>1200503
In the states there are usually stacks of pallets in the garbage behind big box retailers like walmart.
>>
Dumbass bong. Dumb. Ass. Bong.
>>
File: bring a brolly retard.png (163 KB, 307x385)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
>>1200505
>>
>>1200552
That's a really good idea. I'll do that. I've been ducking under low tree branches and not disturbing them so the path isn't clear.
>>
>>1200553
Wow, great contribution to the thread, faggot. Don't you have a fire to die in? Bleach to chug? An AIDS-nigger to open your asshole to? Fuck off.

>>1200469
>How do I level out the ground? I have a spade and string
http://www.wikihow.com/Level-Ground
>>
>>1200529
That's basically summoning all of /diy/ memes.
>>
>>1200501
It's easy as hell in America. They just leave the things behind the store. Used to take them by the truckload to burn at the beach bonfires.
>>
>>1200501

Ask superstores for their surplus. They should be more than happy to give them to you, as they have to pay someone else to take them all away in the first place.
>>
Don’t forget a few for furniture!
>>
>>1200572
Lol all those things are what bongs do except having a fire because they arent allowed
>>
>>1200469
I'm doing something very similar, but I'm, supplementing the pallet wood with cedar wood I will mill myself. Pic related is part of the plans for what I'm building- it's into a slight hill, so I'm digging out a level spot and making a foundation from cinderblocks and packed sand/gravel. Get yourself a mattock if you want to do any amount of digging, and you'll want an actual level to make sure the string you lay out is level.
>>
>>1200469
Don’t drink the ground water!
>>
>>1200586
Well I just realised that only the blocks have to be level so that should make live easier
>>
>>1200598
Yes. How big is this cabin going to be? I'm shooting for 10' by 15' for mine, but it's on my own property. You could make a 10' by 5' bunkhouse big enough for one man, depending on what you're using it for.
>>
>>1200578
Thats theft
>>
>>1200601
Yes it is and I don't condone it. Was young and shitty back then.
>>
>>1200504
Aren't you adapting the brick structures? They look sturdy, you could make a nice squatting place of them.
>>
I wouldn't put much effort into building something on privately-owned land. Especially if kids find it or the company catches wind.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>1200600
I'm currently thinking 4 pallets by 2 or 3 pallets with a 1 pallet wide porch.

Can I use pallet wood for the roof or do I need to get some wood that is more solid for the roof to be strong?

First time I've done this so I'm going to get a shit ton of pallets and overengineer everything to make it strong
>>
>>1200623
Put full pallets on top.
Then cover them with felt paper.
You can use cut up pallet boards as shakes if you seal them.
>>
>>1200603
I decided against those. I put the door back on one to see if anyone would fuck with it. Two weeks later the door was off. I don't think it fell off so I imagine someone took a peek inside.

I think this is a better plan as no one has been on this paths of land for years.

Squatting laws are very good. They ensure that people don't just buy up all the land and do nothing with it. If owned take notice they can evict squatters pretty quickly, but if they don't notice they obviously weren't using the land to begin with.

Plus the Queen owns all the land really so hopefully shes ok with her humble subject building a small shack on some unused land because he can't afford to get on the housing ladder. God bless her.
>>
>>1200628
Take pictures and keep a record of how long your there.
In the us at least, if you can prove you’ve been there for a certain period of time your rights improve.
>>
File: pallet wood roof.jpg (129 KB, 960x540)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>1200623
I'm using some old barn siding for my roof, but I'm sure there's a way to use pallet wood for a roof. You could always overlap the boards, or make shakes out of the boards.
>>
>>1200628
How far is your "foundation" from the other buildings cause if there are niggers willing to break doors a foot its time to leave.
>>
>>1200731
It's about 5 mins walk.

I only pressed the door on so anyone could have pulled it off. Might have even been wind.
>>
>>1200756
m'eighty you need to get your wage seekers cheque and buy a trail cam and make sure no hordes of Traveling Irish or other undesirables are roaming through your new claim.
>>
>>1200770
Tbh gypsies are my main fear. I'm hoping they would never have a reason to find it as they mainly are attracted to open fields and not dense woodland.
>>
>>1200578
He said first world countries, friendo
>>
>>1201037
le 56% face
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_level_(device)
try this OP.
It will help in getting your concrete blocks level to start with...
>>
>>1201063
Thanks you for the recommendation sir
>>
>>1200501
How the fuck are you this retarded? I work in an industrial area and there's constantly pallets getting thrown out by different businesses, they don't want to pay rubbish removal to get rid of them and they know that there's always someone around that will use them. Go look around any industrial area and you'll find some, failing this just go ask somewhere like Bunnings or whatever your local hardware store is if they have any spare.
>>
File: 1078.jpg (67 KB, 897x502)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>1201118
Big stores like that send pallets back on the empty trucks once they're unloaded. A lot of pallets are relatively expensive and carry a deposit that the store (or distributor) is liable for. Pic related.

The other cheaper pallets get sent back as well even though they often don't have a deposit on them just because they can be reused and nobody has to pay to have them removed.

That said, yes, sometime pallets pile up to no end, particularly on farms and other remote locations that get dropoffs but no pickups.
>>
>>1201120
We get old pallets from other businesses all the time, we use them for deliveries. They don't have any use for them and just keep throwing them out by the side of the road or by the industrial bins around the area. We used to ask for them but after a while it's just became common understanding that you can take them if they've just been dumped.
>>
File: pallethouse.png (50 KB, 1058x808)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
Op here.

Made this today in sketchup.

This is based on pallets being 1.2m x 1m.
>>
>doing this in England
Prepare to get buttfucked by Britistani Gov unless you’re in the furthest, least accessible corner of Scotland. I’ll bet the gov employs people to regularly comb satellite images for structures like this
>>
>>1201439
cool but the fuck is your guy doing
is he getting a blowy
>>
>>1200622
i like this pic
good dogos
>>
>>1201446
when i went to glasgow i saw a shitload
of gingers
is this indicative of scotland?
>>
>>1201446
This used to be true, but due to the country falling apart the local councils cant afford spare people to roam the country side and look for illegal stuff. They also cant afford to go through the courts.

They only take notice and do anything if a neibour complains loads
>>
This makes me want to research how houses were built during the 1800s.
>>
I m cut up pallets from our shop deliveries for cheap firewood. I have too much saved up and am running out of storage space.
>>
>>1201465
Not the same person but how u like this one
>>
>>1200469
I don't into law. But building on someone else's land, even if they're not using it, doesn't sound like a good idea.
>>
>>1201743
are they yours? what glorious animals
>>
>>1201743
beautiful dogs
what’s the breed?
>>
File: 1517900960007.jpg (68 KB, 1010x897)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1201743
doggos!
>>
File: 1518433774880.jpg (17 KB, 611x311)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
So current plan is:
-pull apart pallets and join boards together to make long boards for beams (would they be strong enough?)
-Build an arc frame using said beams on top of regular boards used for walls (apparently an arc roof is the most structurally strong)
-Nail more boards between beams
-Cover in a waterproof membrane
-Cover that in some sort of roofing material (is it called roofing felt?)

Does this sound like it would work or does anyone have any improvements or advise?

Thank you for all suggestions and help so far, it's been very helpful.
>>
>>1202374

pulling apart pallets is hard work. they use ribbed nails and are designed to not come apart.

i would forgo an arc, and would use a triangle instead. easier to get right, still structurally sound.

its called roofing felt. can be expensive so look for it cheap on ebay from old .

What are the ground conditions like? if its damp/wet underfoot, then slope your roof backwards and dig a drain. otherwise damp will creep up the pallets and it will get damp n general.

which part of the uk is it?
>>
>>1201439
Cover the roof with green plastic so the water slides off easily and maybe isolate the inside with cheap egg cartboards or glass fiber or some items.
>>
>>1201446
It's much less likely that the gov would be searching for 'illegal' structures on private land, given that they would probably assume it was the land owner doing it. Only reason they'd be looking at private land like this would be for potential violations of zoning laws regarding permanent/non-permanent structures
>>
>>1202458
>pulling apart pallets is hard work. they use ribbed nails and are designed to not come apart.
This is very true so I've found out these past few days trying to dissemble pallets. Fucking nails they use are a cunt, and the stupid shitty wood tends to split as you try to pry it. Best way to use them is saw away the shit you don't need and burn it.
>>
>>1201498
Read Walden
>>
>>1200469
Anon, are you really going to build a cabin on someone else's property? Do you complain about illegal aliens too? Because you are admitting to wanting to trespass, construct a building, and live on private property that's not yours. It being owned by an oil company is irrelevant.
>>
>>1202931
I wouldn't do it on a farmer's field.
It's an oil company who got the land from the government in some dodgy deal.
>>
>>1203297
this, who gives a fuck about an oil company, those cunts fuck us everyday so it's only fair some people take advantage of them too
>>
>>1203305
How do oil companies fuck you? You expect free gas?
>>
>>1202931
Lmao unalienable private ownership
>>
>>1200776
m8.
If gypsies can smell two things it's fear and abandoned goods/property. Better make sure they aren't about and make the fucker sturdy too.
>>
>>1203369
>How do oil companies fuck you?
They destroy pristine nature for profit, that's fucking me.
>>
File: pallet town.png (50 KB, 1438x958)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
something like this (shape cop'd from one of your previous drawings) should be alright. the pallet pieces won't be enough to hold all of the structure. get some 10x10cm-s. also a nice and useful material is the underbody coating they use for cars, that thick black material. if you coat the roof structure (just the outside!!) and the base, the wood wont be able to absorb water. make sure to get the one in a can that you can spread with a brush or something and not the spraying kind.
Questions:
-how do you plan on fixing the structure to the concrete block base?
-what sort of tools you got?
-do you plan on installing heating (oven/furnace)?
-do you have a plan of the order you'll do things in?
>>
just use normal building materials pallets are for fires.
>>
>>1200578
burning pallets is extremely bad, they are full of chemicals to preserve them.
>>
>>1204077
burning *some* pallets is mildly bad. methyl bromide preservative used on some pallet wood might be bad for you if you breath in the smoke. Just the smoke from any wood will be bad for you anyway.
>>
>>1204077
not all of them
>>1204096

pallets have labels and markings on them. it will tell you if it is chemical treated
unless its missing pieces of too beat up to read it. or from a country that does not label the pallets
>>
>>1201784
Look like Australian Shepherds (which is actually an American breed, go figure).
>>
>>1200493
Negative....i almost was charged with a felony for taking pallets that were leaned up against a dumpster.
Buying used pallets is less headache than being arrested, bailed out. Then dealing with the legal process.
>>
>>1204226
>don't steal
asking politely is the best way.
>>
>>1204226
Wouldn't have stuck. How would that be a felony? Even if it *were* theft, it'd have to be a lot of pallets to make it over $1000.
>>
>>1204237
They were blue pallets, made by a company called chep.
Fuckers are valued at 75 bucks each.
>>
>>1204236
Yea no shit....i usually asked for them. Fuckers were literally leaned up against the dumpster. I assumed they were garbage. No thoughts of theft werw going through my mind.
>>
>>1204245
>usually asked
that means a few times you didn't ask, thus stealing.
>>
Someone made a pretty legit cabin in the middle of a heavily frequented forest right next to my college campus, apparently it was there for years and no one knew

Google "Arcata community forest cabin"
>>
>>1201037
Any country that doesn't have a fire tax and pallet tax might as well be living in the dark ages. Having a bonfire at the beach would be a mandatory 55 years in prison here in bongistan.
>>
>>1200501
>>1200493
just be quick you autistic.
>>
>>1204060
Thank you so much for your responce anon.

I'll get under coating material and 10cmx10cms

Plan was just to put it on top, will the weight hold it in place?

I just have a basic tool kit plus axe, hand saw and pry bar. I'm buying tools slowly. Was going to buy a drill and impact driver next.

Was going to start with a propane heater and then upgrade to a furnace over time.

Plan was to level blocks first then put up walls and ceiling then install windows and a door.
>>
>>1204060
The main problem with the beams however is that I can't transport them with my car. I can get the pallets as people will drop them off.

Is there a solution to building with pallets only and it will be strong?
>>
>>1203369
they purposely lobby to keep people dependent on oil.
>>
>>1203369
By making petrol for his mums micra
>>
>>1204244
ALL BLUE PALLETS ARE OWNED AND OFF LIMITS !! You will usually find the bog standard wood pallets are up for grabs in the UK, always be polite and ask first but generally if they are by a skip they will be 'help your self to our waste' pallets
>>
New thread with updates >>1205879

>>1205879

>>1205879
>>
>>1203369
lord brown touched him in his no no zone

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.