[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 7 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File: IMG_2433.jpg (78 KB, 960x562)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Thought I'd do a thread on winter equipment in Sweden for skiing with a supply sled.
Going on a 5 day trip with my class, digging a new bivouac every night, igloos if the snow quality is good. 19 classmates and 3 dogs.
I'm training for a longer trip in march/april when the days are long for more miles, the nights aren't -30C anymore so won't need as much extra clothing and generally makes life a little easier.

Only things not pictued is my food bag, skis, poles, the packed supply sled and harness.

>pic related my classmate a few weeks ago
>>
File: IMG_2423.jpg (2.34 MB, 4032x3024)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
It's nice to have a few thin plywood sheets, gives you a non snow surface to put stuff on like pots of water that just melts through the snow.
The foil screen around the stove helps keep heat in and some small bits glued to the sheet keep the stove from moving.
>>
File: IMG_2426.jpg (2.05 MB, 4032x3024)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
Extra clothes, I don't change for the whole trip except once I get into my sleeping bag, the dark bundle is thermals, pack down jacket on top, 2 extra socks (for sleeping) and one pair set of underwear because you never know.
>>
>>1200853
Those cannisters seem very used, can they be refilled?
>>
File: IMG_2430.jpg (2.12 MB, 4032x3024)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
Tools and equipment.
Top left to right
Wind sack, open it up and sit inside to get out of the wind or snow when you take a break, can also be opened up fully and used as a tarp.
Blue bag First aid kit
Foam sit pad, I mostly use it while digging to kneel on
Snow probe
Saw for making blocks
Going to try my solar panel, haven't used it in winter before.
Snow shoes for walking around and going between snow caves.
Shovel with detachable big blade for loose snow, wrapped the handle in an inner tube so it's got better grip with thick gloves on.
>>
File: IMG_2431.jpg (2.03 MB, 4032x3024)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>1200862
I got my own stove very recently and only have the .6L bottle, I borrow the shcools 1L bottles, one is from the 90's but I try to take the newer ones

Sleep system
Dry bag for storing damp clothes in at kffhe bottom of my sleeping bag and to warm up my inner boots in the morning, first time I'm trying this, putting in frozen clothes in the morning is awful.
Carinth defense 4 sleeping bag comfor -18C, got it recently, had been using 2 light sleeping bags and a wool blanket for over a year in -30C
>>
>>1200866
I do believe that's one of the army surplus Finnish/swedish e tools. Or a clone.
>>
>>1200870
So they're reusable, that's nice. Also what in school are you in that has this type of trips? Cool shit, pham.
>>
File: IMG_2428.jpg (2.12 MB, 4032x3024)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
Missed the last things from >>1200870

Wool blanket in the red dry bag, I usually wear it as a cloak instead of a big down jacket, my closest friend.
Neoair X-lite inflatable pad
Thermarest ridgerest large, this is really only used for bivouac trips, you shovel snow onto it when digging and have someone drag it out and dump, a lot more effective that way.

Clothes
3 pairs of socks I pretty much live in
2 sets of long johns
Synthetic cargo pants I wear year round
Thin thermal shirt
Merino zipperred turtle neck
>>1200875
Swedish
>>
File: IMG_2432.jpg (1.85 MB, 4032x3024)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>1200875
It's school Malungs Folkhögskola the class is Fjäll och Vildmarksledare (High plains and wilderness leadership)
I'll explain more in the morning, just realized how late it is.

Soft shell pants, I really really need to get some hardshell with suspenders.
Gaiters
Back country ski boots with the inner boot infront
Oakley rain coat I got for cheap, I want a real ski jacket but that might have to wait for next winter.
Sled in the background with most of my stuff in it.
>>
>>1200890
>I'll explain more in the morning, just realized how late it is.
And we never heard of anon again.
>>
File: IMG_2439.jpg (1.71 MB, 4032x3024)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>1203310
Was really busy helping my partner with some equipment problems and then haven't had service in a few days.

>pic related now he's happy.
>>
>>1200850

I did that in Finland. I recommend

>3 layers on top, 2 on legs + Parka in sled
>Appropriate socks
>Those rubber boots with fur inside they sell everywhere in those countries
>Tons of water. You're going to miss nice water.
>Isostar or some other additive for when you drink (boiled) snow
>A big knife that can split wood or a hatchet to make fires
>Good sunglasses and good blizzard glasses
>Good fur hat
>Keep the batteries outside of electronics and close to your body
>Good THICK and BIG inflatable pad. You'll keep it in the sled anyways
>Backpack (even though you'll keep it in the sled)
>Multitool
>>
>>1203563
>my partner
Sweden yes
>>
>>1203606
>3 layers on top, 2 on legs + Parka in sled
My standard is a thin synthetic shirt, a thin merino turtleneck with a hardshell on top of that if I'm doing something active, if digging just a thin synthetic shirt and beat up softshell that I let get soaking wet, change out of it when i'm done digging and then just shake off most of the ice.

>Appropriate socks
Thin knee high merino, slightly thicker wool then a fuck huge knitted wool sock

>Those rubber boots with fur inside they sell everywhere in those countries
Touring ski boots with gaiters, my feet were warm all 5 days :)

>Tons of water. You're going to miss nice water.
Yeah, and a bottle of whiskey

>Isostar or some other additive for when you drink (boiled) snow
That would have been nice, been meaning to buy gatorade powder but keep forgetting

>A big knife that can split wood or a hatchet to make fires
Not much usable wood here, everything is soaked and frozen solid, up on the pains there's no trees at all, a fuel burning stove is a must.

>Good sunglasses and good blizzard glasses
Yes
>Good fur hat
I overheat easily, a thin balaclava during the day and a thick wool hat over that at night

>Keep the batteries outside of electronics and close to your body
I do this on longer trips, on shorter ones I just carry 2 extra sets of rechargables

>Good THICK and BIG inflatable pad. You'll keep it in the sled anyways
I bring a big foam pad for dragging snow out of the cave when digging and an inflatable one to put on that when I sleep

>Backpack (even though you'll keep it in the sled)
I wear a harness to pull my sled, less back sweat

>Multitool
Lost mine in the snow a few months ago after having it for 3 years, have to order a new one

>>1204710
He's my bivouac buddy, only guy I really get along with in the class even though he's 45 and I'm 22. It was fun having him and his german shepard around all week
>>
File: IMG_2447.jpg (1.33 MB, 4032x3024)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
Heading up to the plains to build igloos on day 2, was a cold but sunny and windless day despite the ominous cloud bank
>>
Have you had sex yet, anon?
>>
>>1205382
wow, this looks kino as fuck
>>
bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.