[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 58 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File: image.jpg (1.52 MB, 3264x2448)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
Are zippos meme lighters?
Why does everyone seem to bring these camping?
I got a zippo and a knock off star lighter.
Pros:
Feels nice in hand
Easy to refuel
Last forever
All parts are replaceable
Flint sparks

Cons
Not waterproof
Fuel evaporates within 3 days!!!!!!

I put a piece of rubber glove around this to see if fuel lasts longer. No point in bring this out if the fuel is gone in a couple days.

What are good lighters guys?
Ps I think bics are just not aesthetic enough to own.
>>
They’re technically interesting and very appealing, but completely impractical
-heavy
-fuel evaporates
-poor performance in cold
-expensive if you trash or drop it
-don’t get them soaked
-sometimes finicky to source and fill fuel
There’s no reason not to buy a bic or a mini bic from a gas station. Easy, cheap, tough, very light, works every time, keep the flint roller when the fuel runs out (I’ve never ran out of fuel before I lost one or a gippo nicked mine). Infinite amounts of them have been made, you’re more likely to find a bic in the post apocalypse than a can of zippo fluid. I consider zippos to be like cigars - expensive, hard to source, sometimes don’t perform properly, completely ruined under some circumstances, most people will think you’re a poser, half the people only smoke them because they are meme tier, but if you enjoy them go ahead, they’re not bad items.
>>
>>1201391
Another pro is that they're relatively windproof, which is handy. How did the rubber seal go? Could use a ranger band (bicycle wheel inner tube) as a last ditch firestarter.
>>
>>1201391
>bics are just not aesthetic enough to own.
why would anyone care what they look like alone in the woods?
>>
>>1201391
I always bring two lighters: a zippo and a bic. I like the design on my zippo, but it's always good to have two and bics are great. I have friends who use matches, but I've always been shit with them.
>>
>bics aren’t aesthetic
Fuck me out is a board of larpers
If you’re really that autistic and don’t mind losing them easily, just get a metal or leather case for your bic, or buy a brown or special metal edition bic. Then you won’t cry when you lose your collectible $25 Stah Wahs zippo. Goddamn

>I carry a leather backpack because nylon or xpac isn’t aesthetic enough
You’re not in an action movie, you’re an outdoor hobbyist (I think)
>>
>>1201421
Not OP but I just like everything about zippos. You're a retard though if you don't bring at least one extra lighter, especially if you're going for longer than a night.
>>
>>1201419
Maybe op is aware of his self image
>>
>fuel evaporates after 3 days
That’s like a hatchet where the head blunts and shatters after chopping down 3 branches

Fine if you’re constantly going home to refill, but completely useless memegear if you actually go /out/. But hey, if you never use your gear and enjoy collecting toys or curating a Pinterest board of “aesthetic” gear, go for it, live the dream
>>
>>1201430
The fu you buying your hatchets from, bruh?
>>
Zippo's are the shittiest gasoline lighters there is.
>>
>>1201391
I really like the plasma lighters
my solar charger can give me enough juice to light one fire even on a rainy day in like 5 minutes
I also carry a ferro rod with magnesium as backup but I haven't had to use it yet
>fun fact
plasma lighters can ignite solid magnesium
use wisely
>>
>>1201435
Was that a joke?
>>
>>1201441
Did you find it funny?
>>
About the aesthetics of a bic:
I agree. They are just plain cringe looking. Like I'm playing with bright colored lego blocks in the wilderness. It just doesn't appeal to my manliness to make fire with a bic toy.
>>
I usually carry a zippo cause I'm a smoker and I think i am less likely to lose it since i actually think about it, unlike a bic which are easy to forget about and lose since it's a dollar lighter if that.
When I go out I bring a backup bic and one of those small cans of zippo lighter fluid.
>Extra fuel for meme lighter
>Easy mode fire starting with lighter fluid even when everything's wet. Thanks Washington
>>
File: analizer.jpg (713 KB, 1350x1013)
713 KB
713 KB JPG
>>1201391
get one of these, has a rubber seal and a threaded cap. It's water proof and I can leave it on my dash for a year without the fluid evaporating.
>>
who gives a shit about aesthetics? You're out in the wilderness not at the mall trying to pick up chicks.
>>
>>1201472
>his zippo makes him feel like cool western gangster man
Are you a fucking pajeet? Your conception of manliness is laughable. How is a disposable lighter that you use for 3 seconds outdoors stopping you from feeling manly? You're like the fedora kid who thinks he'll be badass, manly and mysterious by wearing a fedora, or the guy who thinks he'll be muscular, handsome and cool by wearing the same tight clothing he saw on a pinterest board

>it doesn't appeal to my manliness to make fire with a bic toy
Pajeet confirmed, this is hilarious. What does appeal to your manliness? Some expensive and impractical meme gear you saw in some movie? Is it not a toy if it has some burnished brass and a cool sound?

>>1201629
This is getting a little more practical, but it would still be devastating to drop one or leave it if you had to move camp quickly or were drunk/really tired/ill
>>
So I see a lot of you "men" enjoying taking your Legos out to start a fire. Flame on for wanting a respectable, American and practical tool i.e. the zippo.
>>
>>1201639
anyone who needs fire and doesn't walk around with more than one source at all times should reevaluate their thinking. I use bics mainly, but i've always got matches and my cylinder lighter with a screw cap on my keychain as a backup because I know the fluid will never evaporate and wherever I am I have my keys. In all these years I've never been without fire when I needed it.
also, zippos suck, the brass lighter I posted is far superior at the same price point, even though it is quite a bit heavier.
>>
>>1201391
>buy butane insert

done
>>
>>1201651
Yeah, I agree, I was laughing at that anon for not feeling like a man unless he has a Zippo®™ Registered Action Lighter™ in his kit that he can do cool tricks like the Joker with

>>1201646
Except that "lego" comes in brown and black, metal and leather, and works 10x better than your heavy, outdated, poser bullshit. Zippo reps leave
>>
>>1201391
Cut a piece of bicycle inner tube short enough to cover the seam between the lid and the lighter. This works better. Zippos are classy and patrician af, but they are for your smoking room/library. Bics are for the woods.
>>
>>1201657
also, fyi ebay has chinese knockoffs of these lighters for a couple bucks, of which I have like 20 but I haven't tested them yet. from what I can tell they should work just as well even though they are obviously lower quality.
>>
>>1201680
I have a Chinese knockoff I got on eBay for $5 shipped. The chrome is actually very nice and it feels a little heavier than a zippo. It even has a slightly sturdier looking hinge. Honestly zippos aren't that great quality so this knockoff will probably last just as long. Good nuff for me.
>>
>>1201437
>>fun fact
>plasma lighters can ignite solid magnesium
Now I'm tempted to set a whole block on fire
>>
>>1201629
Where can I purchase it anon?
>>
>>1201391
>bics not aesthetic enough
Jesus christ. I hope you get lost when your Motorola Razr GPS fails you and your lead-lined canteen from the 1800s gives you brain damage.
>>
I'm sorry guys but form and aesthetics are huge when designing products, buildings, apps etc. customers respond well to aesthetics. That's why you don't camp under an orange tarp. That's why you want a coat that fits you nicely. That's why you paint your damn house to look nice. That's why you guys all want a Tesla car. Aesthetics are #1. Nothing wrong with considering colors/materials when choosing a lighter.
>>
>>1202164
Not that anon, but I was curious too. Here's what I found:

https://countycomm.com/products/stainless-steel-lighters-by-maratac?variant=27421704070
>>
File: img_1317.jpg (39 KB, 650x650)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>everyone complaining bic doesn't fit their aesthetic because it has "lego" colors
>pic related
>>
>>1202263
>white lighter

never. not even once.
>>
After refueling a Zippo rub a little Vaseline around the cartridge before you reinsert it back into the case. The Vaseline will slow the rate of fuel evaporation.
>>
>>1202261
Dnhdydusndbfnuvufidjeh
>>
>>1202261
neat. much more practicool than a zippo
>>
>>1202294
Why not? Who gives a fuck what color your lighter is? I don't really get it. Isn't the whole point that the lighter makes fire for you? Does it really matter if it's white, silver, black or fucking rainbow?
>>
>>1202344
Same
>>
>>1201397
I just use the thunder bird insert so no evaporation
>>
>>1202346
If you want to end up dead tomorrow, go ahead and carry a white lighter.

>>1202255
You buy a coat that fits well because it has proper form and fits well. You even said it yourself, form is important.

Bics come in a wide array of colors!
>>
>>1202428
Don't worry, he's just going through a phase. Before I left my house and actually went innawoods, I used to wax lyrically about aesthetic gear and I wouldn't buy anything unless it looked like it was some burnished brass relic or something issued from some army surplus, then I realised the huge advantage of actually having lightweight, tried and tested, bombproof and replaceable working shit for an affordable price

Some people enjoy the larp
>>
>>1202261
Thanks anon, buying one soon. Much better then Zippo trash.
>>
>>1202346
> he doesn't realize that it sometimes snows outside.
>>
Soyboys flick bics. Real outdoorsmen zip zippos.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.2 MB, 4032x3024)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
>>1203256
I think you typed that backwards.

Real men want something that works without carring what other hipsters and soyboys think about them.
>>
>>1203290
>meme menthol cancer nails
>bright color fidget spinner toy designed for ADHD children
>pink bic
Further proving that bics are lego toys.
A real man puffs a fine cigar, lights it with a genuine American made zippo and doesn't allow his son play with Chinese plastic toys because he knows it will cause his boy to be a sissy.
>>
Best Bic is the bright orange one, by far. Trying to find a dark green Bic that you dropped on the ground at dusk because your headlamp shit the bed is a terrible experience.

I will buy the 5 packs that come with at least 3 orange ones, then give away the two odd (usually dark colored) ones.

I carry one fullsize in my firestarting pouch (along with a ferro rod), and a backup mini bic stashed in my Trangia. Plus both my Mora and my puukko have a ferro rod on the sheath, so I guess that makes it 2 rods and 2 bics.

The butane insert for my Zippo is neat and all, but not ideal for innawoods. On the other hand, if I felt like sticking to the regular liquid fuel insert, I could fuel it with the alcohol for my stove, which wouldn't be terrible, but still wasteful.
>>
>>1203296
>posted by XxfedoraloverxX
>>
>>1203296
Use a match for a cigar for the fine woody American taste
>>
File: fire piston.jpg (217 KB, 1280x720)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
/end thread
>>
>>1203296
A real man collects expensive brass toys he never takes outside and takes aesthetic photos of his toys to post on r/EDC for other bugmen who like to waste money!

If you're not a poser anon, post your shelter, or we'll continue to laugh at your fedora Larping
>>
File: 1433043878692.jpg (61 KB, 606x538)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1203296
>Lights a cigar with a zippo
>>
File: 1505023796080.gif (543 KB, 300x298)
543 KB
543 KB GIF
I..i wonder if these other manly men noticed my zippo.. maybe if I take it out and do some of those tricks I practised from youtube... oh fuck this thing isn't even lighting...
>H-hey Chad, can I borrow your bic?
>My lighter? Sure brah
>Y-yeah, k-kinda looks like a lego, heh...
>Yeah, they're pretty bomber. I get them free from Stacy at the gas station. You can keep that one brah :)
>>
>>1203296
I'm not invested in this lighter debate but as a cigar smoker you should never light any good cigar with a zippo cause it will affect the taste, only non-sulpur matches, cedar spills, of butane lighters
>>
File: 1515371909576.jpg (53 KB, 800x723)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Op sounds like the biggest faggot poser.
Definitely some kid from the city who watched into the wild who worries how he looks on instagram.
>>
The only upside is that you can manipulate it more easily in the cold than an unmodified bic. If you don't rip out the child safety you're a gosh dang homo and deserve to have your penis avulsed but will probably just end up dying of hypothermia. And with that, matches are still the best.
>>
>>1203487
it's okay anon we believe you
you're a big burley outdoorsy type man right?
>>
>>1203417

you do know you're not actually supposed to hold the flame to the cigar, but a bit under it so thee's no contact, right? you do know you're supposed to let the powder burn off of a match and use it once it's only burning wood, right?
>>
>>1203511
Fuck yeah I am.

Seriously though why is this guy fucking caring about the colour/brand of his lighter. I'm pretty sure i'm getting baited in a troll post.
>>
>>1203535
go away redit, don't you have somehting to upbot
>>
>>1202346
Depending on who you ask, it's a common myth, especially among smokers, that White(Sometimes Yellow) lighters are bad luck and that X, Y, and Z famous persons died cause they carried that color lighter.

Also see >>1203196
>>
What happened to all the real outdoorsmen? He wouldn't carry a lighter at all and especially not a pink bic. Amazed and frightened by all the soyboys here
>>
>>1203415
I do sometimes buy my Bics from the pretty girl at the 7eleven who will have my balls in her mouth later tonight.

>>1203386
Ehh they’re more of a backup, or if your knife needs to be sharpened at the same time you’re trying to start a fire.
>>
>>1203698
>Bepis / Retard
why are you so dumb? environmental or genetic?
>>
>>1203542
The snow argument makes sense, never thought of that. I didn't know about the colored lighter myth. You'd like that highly evolved intelligent species would be able to ignore such obvious nonsense. Oh well, white lighters, not even once. Kek.
>>
>>1203698
>striking the rod with the blade
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
i have a bowers trench lighter if your looking for hipster larp gear, i always just use a bic though
>>
>>1203710
i see he caught one
hehe
>>
>>1203759
Actually 2 of em!

>>1203710
>>1203735
>>
>>1201391
>3 days!!!!!!
Is that a small one or something? I live in the desert, use a zippo as a smoker, and have never had to refill it in three days. I typically go a week. Soak the fibrous pad that is at the top, holding the cotton wad with fuel to see if that helps. I don't mean you have to remove it and let it sit in fuel or anything, just squirt some fuel on it until it is about to stop absorbing.
That said, I typically bring a bic out. I also have a zippo, but I keep it in a small pouch as an extra durable back-up and shiney-thing to maybe use as a signal if I'm dumb and break my ankle or something like that. I don't care if I lose a bic (outside of it being litter).
>>
>>1203767
Is that snake okay?
>>
Op here. Something very strange is going on w my zippo.
I got this zippo at Walmart and I have reason to believe it is sabotaged.
I have a knock off star lighter that I have not refilled once since I got it 2 weeks ago. But it does have a rubber glove over the cap as pictured in the first post. I open and light it several times every day.
I've refilled my Walmart zippo every 3 days since I got it.
I put a rubber glove over it after the last refill and opened it just once to light it. Tonight it is out of fluid, after just 3 days, one light and a rubber barrier. I think these Walmart zippos are shit. Buy a star lighter for $5 and you're good for a week or two without even a rubber barrier. Sheeiiiiiiiiiiittttt.
>>
>>1204129
Op here. Did you get your zippo at Walmart or is it a higher quality model? I'm thinking the Walmart zippos are engineered to use up fluid. As stated above my star lighter lasts weeks per fill.
>>
File: ToWhatEnd.jpg (15 KB, 201x247)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
The Zippo is the best lighter because it is the only one that stays lit when you throw it.
>>
>>1202255
not only do bics come in every color known to man and then some, there are also ones with logos of basically any company or pop culture icon that is at least of medium popularity in north america, i'm sure there's one that fits you

i like the red ones myself
>>
>>1203296
>posted by a guy who says "buy american cars!" but also drives a Chevy Cruze
>>
File: 31nwF9DugCL.jpg (16 KB, 500x250)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
cest bon
>>
>>1204260
Those are cool
>>
Bics are perfect lighters. When they run out of fluid you can just throw them on the ground and forget about them. Why would you want to refill a zippo constantly and worry about losing it? I lose my bics all the time when I go /out/ but I don't care they are like 3 for $1.
>>
>>1202261
they are called pea lighters
>>
>>1201391
>bring fluid
>shoot fluid on starter nest
>use zippo for sparks
>>
They’re cool and they smell great, but other than that you’re better off with a bic or a butane.
>>
>>1202263
At least you know it will work.
>>
so, Did the rubber glove stop the ronsonol from evaporating? I would love to know since I rarely use a really nice Zippo due to the fact that every time I need to actually use it the fluid has dried out.
>>
>>1202263
>wanting to be aesthetic while camping
this anime really has ruined /out/ hasn't it?
>>
>>1204762
It might have helped but I'm more convinced that this star lighter holds fuel better than the zippo.
I refilled the star after about two weeks with the glove, even though it was still lighting fine. I had to end this experiment because the rubber glove has broken and I don't have any more ATM.
The zippo was lasting 3 days without the rubber and still just 3 days with the rubber.

For the new experiment I have both lighters full and no rubber glove on either one. That will be my base test. Then I will try again but with a bike inner tube. I'll let you know if this thread is still alive in a week or two.
PS I knew my bic aesthetics comment would freak you guys out. But really the whole reason I like these zippos is for the look/sound/smell of them and I have no shame on that.
>>
>>1204864
thank you. please let me know. this has always really annoyed me about zippos.
>>
>>1202255
I wish I had an orange tarp
>>
Well i ordered a bunch of lighters. And they sent me junk. So might as well go back to a zippo.
>>
>>1201391
i had one of these gas-lighters, unfortunately lost it though. these fuckers are great, you can always light a flame, fuel (or gas) doesn't evaporate. but nonetheless i always carry a bic or something similar when i go on a trip.
>>
>>1202340
Good tip anon, thanks.
>>
>>1203290
Bepis when can we go fishing?
>>
Pro tip: store your zippo upside down. When you go to light it, only the wick will ignite.
If you store upright the cap fills with fumes and your first light is always a ball of flames on the lid, often not even lighting the wick. Know what I mean?
>>
File: ok.jpg (12 KB, 480x360)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1205210
i can dig it.
>>
>>1205206
I barely even have time to go myself.
>>
>>1201430
The funny thing about that is, as /diy/ as out likes to be, I've got several zippos that are decades old and I learned as a 16yr old that I could just wax the inside of the lighter body and slap an old bike tube on the outside. People also wholly ignore the butane inserts and using the lighter hands free. I've got a few Zippo bodies that are just small storage runs now as well. They aren't the most practical thing these days, but they are reusable.

I still have bics all over the place, and matches. I've also got no2 pencils, bic pens and $40 fountains pens. Its ok to like things for their own qualities
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (20 KB, 400x400)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1201472
K
>>
>>1201639
>but it would still be devastating to drop one or leave it if you had to move camp quickly
Sure, if it were one of the discontinued originals, but the knock offs are cheap. Nobody is going to be devasted over losing $10
>>
>>1202255
While I do agree with you, there are ways
>>
>>1203524
it still smells and its right in front of your face retard
>>
>>1206304
Work less = Fish more
>>
>>>/fa/
>>
>>1201391
After studying the results, here are five of the most reliable cigar lighters you can buy:
Blazer Micro Torch – Single jet flame. MSRP: $60.00.
Lotus Fury – Dual “Pinpoint” flame. MSRP: $59.95.
Vector Radar – Triple jet flame. MSRP: $35.00.
Xikar Cirro – Single jet flame. MSRP: $49.99.
Zippo – Soft flame.
>>
File: 20180223_021543.jpg (1.36 MB, 4128x2322)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>1203698

Holy. Shit. I'm going to sharpen all my knives like this from now on. I HAD NO IDEA.
>>
>>1204194
Found the arsonist

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.