[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1460250663712.jpg (25 KB, 284x564)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
Not a regular here so forgive me if this has been discussed to death, but I'm curious as to what's /out/'s opinion on how carrying a phone/smartphone affects your experience when /out/? I'm wondering because I've recently gone hiking a few times as a way to get off my ass, and it felt entirely different from when I went out and did shit when I was younger and didn't have a cell phone on me much less a smartphone. Even driving out a ways and hiking feels like I'm closer to home than when I'd walk to the local park as a kid since I have a device in my pocket that not only allows me to immediately talk to friends, but shitpost on 4chan as well. I've even had people call me in the few times I've gone hiking, so even if I don't want to use my phone it still gets used.
>>
>>1201671
airplane mode, nigga. then if you fuck up and hurt yourself it's available, but otherwise no one can interrupt you.
>>
>>1201684
>airplane mode
Why even have it on. Just keep it off to preserve battery life. When I'm /out/ for 10 days I will turn mine on for about 20 minutes a day, check in with gf (or parents if shes with), respond to texts, check weather, glance at news to see if apocalypse started, then turn off.
>>
>>1201686
op clearly does not go on multiple day trips so.airplane mode will be a perfectly fine solution to his problem. and if you're able to receive texts or check in with people on 10 day trips your /out/ is bitch tier and you shouldn't be bragging about it.
>>
File: verizon-coverage-map.jpg (67 KB, 740x300)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>1201695
I go on my 10 day trips to upper peninsula michigan
>>
>>1201684
>>1201686
Even with your smartphone off/in airplane mode, doesn't it still completely change the feel of what you're doing when you could take it out at any time and have the entire internet at your fingertips? I remember not being able to access the internet when traveling when I was younger, but now I can do it when hiking if I want to. Unless I try to find an area without cell service, I'm about as connected now as I would be when I camped in the back yard as a kid.
>>
>>1201700
that doesn't change your earlier statement of having enough coverage to check the internet.

>>1201701
no, because i'm not addicted to it.
>>
>>1201726
This. I just put my phone in a Ziploc and toss it in my pack. After that I pretty much forget it's there until I get back to my car.
>>
I use my phone gps to mark points of interest and use the sat imagery to find new locations and trails. I get no cell service but as long as i turn gps on before i get far out then it tends to keep up with me. Also used for listening to audio books and pictures/video. I carry a gorillapod for cell phones and I have a 20,000mah power bank that'll fully charge the phone about 5 times.
>>
The problem isn't the phone, it's you. Practice disconnecting yourself regularly, even when you're not /out/. It's a good habit anyway. There are a million better ways to spend your time than scrolling through pages of low-quality, low-effort information.
Anyway my phone has been pissing me off lately. It can't handle the cold at all, and the battery shits the bed even if I just take it out for a quick picture.
>>
>>1201726
>>1201742
I have no problem putting down my phone and ignoring it. My problem is that just that having the capability there makes it feel like I'm never going far from home. Simply having a smartphone with me makes me feel like I'm one of those people who will go camping with a large camper with all the comforts of home, even if I ignore it it's still getting dragged along wherever I go.
>>
>>1201756
a) leave it in the car
or
b) go places with no service
>>
>>1201701
>be caveman
>talking to caveman bros
>"i just dont like this whole "stone age" thing"
>"i was so much more connected when i just had my sticks and club"
>"now we just have to sit at camp and sharpen stones all day"
>"we wuz better off with just the sharp sticks, those were the days"

Phones are a tool, and a good one. I'd rather not be so primitive and check the weather/be able to call someone if I break my leg or get sick
>>
>>1201742
>>1201756
>unemployed
>>
File: 1515450133274.jpg (535 KB, 1920x1200)
535 KB
535 KB JPG
>>1201671
I feel you OP, I have to leave mine behind because I hate feeling like I might have to trust my life to some chinese circuitry
Our ancestors did fine without cell phones, I think I will be alright hiking without mine too.
If I really need it there will most likely be someone along the trail with a phone (just carry some paper with important phone numbers on it)
>>
>>1202236
>just carry some paper with important phone numbers on it
What, you can't memorize the phone numbers of your family/close friends? That's a lot more reliable than a piece of paper unless you suffer a massive blow to the head or something.
>>
>>1202257
In that case I should tattoo them on my arm, in case I suffer a blow to the head
>>
>>1201671
>letting jewgle and the government track you on trips
tsk tsk anon
>>
>>1201671
Just don't be a fucking addict that's gone camping just to shitpost on 4chan or Facebook in the forest.
It's a useful tool. Flashlight, music player, camera, can dump it full of .Avi files to watch something once you're chilling in your tent before bed, emergency contact.
>>
>>1201742
>It can't handle the cold at all, and the battery shits the bed even if I just take it out for a quick picture
I'm a snowboarder and this is why I still have a normal, cheapo digital sports camera. Phones shit the bed the moment it goes below 0 or it rains, even if they're """""" waterproof"""""". It's also nice not having to drain my phone's battery taking photos of shit.
>>
>>1204161
See >>1201756
>>
>>1201726
you can actually receive the weather as a daily text, it is pretty nice.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.