[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: desert-camping-large.jpg (275 KB, 2124x1413)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
Has anyone ever gone camping out in a desert?

I want to try it in an area like Utah/Nevada but idk if its that good of an idea, anyone ever tired it?

Pic Related, something similar to that kind of area
>>
Desert camping is best during the winter. I don't know about Nevada, but Utah has so many good options. The whole area around Moab is beautiful. You have Arches NP and Canyonlands NP. The rest of southern Utah is great as well. Just bring more water because sources aren't as plentiful.
>>
>>1202144
>>1202141
Dont go anywhere near Moab if you value privacy or solitude. The whole are is overrun with offroaders revving their engines 24 hours a day. Pretty much anywhere else in southern Utah should be just as nice and have basically no people.
>>
>>1202141
>I want to try it in an area like Utah/Nevada but idk if its that good of an idea, anyone ever tired it?

Yeah, I live in SoUT. I like it better than mountain camping. There are plenty of backpacking routes in Utah's desert that'll keep you close to water and far from people.
>>
On the banks of the Green River while rafting. Got up to pee in the middle of the night once and was absolutely floored by all the stars I could see, and I'm a lifelong Montanafag.
>>
>>1202141

It's super easy just make sure you have enough water and remember it still gets cold at night.
>>
>>1203425
How's Montana /out/?
>>
>>1203681
Breddy gud anon, breddy gud. Just hoping Stinky Zinke doesn't turn all our public land into strip mines.
>>
>>1202141
It can be OK. Last time I camped in Southern Nevada it was fucking HOT less than an hour after sunrise. Go somewhere in the mountains where its cooler and there are trees. Spending all day in the sun in 110*+ heat is unbearable.
>>
>>1202141

Spent a lot of time in central AZ, Southern New Mexico, and West Texas. Don't go after April. Limit most of your strenuous activity to mid morning to early afternoon, siesta, then start up again in the early evening. Take more water than you think you'll need. You'll never get sand/dust out of your tent and gear. Take salty snacks in addition to your regular food. Sweaty feet will be a thing, change your socks often. Take a big, wide brimmed hat and long sleeve, thin fabric shirt, but also take a light jacket and beanie for the mornings. Expect things to get chilly at night, even in the Spring and Summer. You may consider making a tarp canopy over your tent to sit under during the day and take a book to read. Learn photography for fun.
>>
>>1202141
>>1204130
This guy knows what's up. April-October is pretty much off limits for valley floor type desert hiking. As other anon mentioned 110+ is totally unbearable and it happens real quick. Then temps plummet at night and the whole experience feels pretty shitty. But desert camping in winter is great. Warm during the day nice fire at night. Most of the snakes and other shitty desert creatures aren't a problem that time of year either. If you are really set on something that looks like you could find camels there then the dunes outside of Yuma are a good place. As is white sands in NM. Both have their drawbacks. Yuma is full of offroaders in their dune buggies and various other gasoline powered sand machines. White Sands is right next to a missle testing facility so they shut down the whole place at random intervals.
>>
>>1204178

Fuck White Sands. I mean it's gorgeous, but even up above the rim in Timburon, starting at 0500-0600, all you could hear was mechanized vehicles and artillery revving up to the range, then starting at 0700 thump-thump-thump-thump...BAM BAM BAM BAM! thump-thump-thump-thump...BAM BAM BAM BAM! all the way until noon. Then nothing but MG fire and low flybys by aircraft from Alamagordo. Nearly shit myself the first morning hearing artillery from less than thirty miles away.
>>
>>1202144
(Kinda) bad advice. Sure you will see less traffic camping in the winter, mild temps in the day, but damn do deserts get cold at night. I honestly wouldn't recommend desert camping in the dead of winter unless you are a regular winter camper.
>>1203308
Moab's surrounding area is fucking huge, it almost never ends. Plenty of BLM land, if you camp there with the goal of solitude and see too many people you're doing something wrong

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.