[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 99137741-1920x1199.jpg (415 KB, 1920x1199)
415 KB
415 KB JPG
Has anyone here done a thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail?

If so, what can you share?
>>
>>1203131
>Implying anyone does anything here other than LARP
>>
>>1203131
section hiker here. its really pretty. the presidential section is beautiful. Greylock in MA is beautiful and there are some really cool primitve camping sites thanless a mile off trail but the summit lodge has internet and free water refills. its pretty wild to watch the people come in at katahdin. maybe i was out of shape but the stratton and killington (?) part of vermont is pretty gnarly. pretty but also gnarly.

if you ahve the freedom to do it... do it. i probably missed my window to one shot it. i probably would not be able to finish but it kind of bums me out that i never even tried.
>>
>>1203149
I feel like I wouldn't finish either, but I have the freedom to do it, and I want to give it a real shot.
>>
File: 1518324758729.jpg (1.53 MB, 6000x4000)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>1203149
>section hiker here
Same here :^)
>>
I can't figure out how people get enough time off work to do this kind of thing. I would end up jobless and destitute.
>>
>>1203131
I did about 100 miles of it with my dad when I was 15, shit, 15 years ago. I wish I were older so that I could have appreciated it more.
>>
>>1203326
>get a job that pays pretty well
>live below your means for a couple years
>plan your thru hike
>let employer know you'll be taking 6 months off
>or quit job entirely
>start your hike
>6 months later, finish
>still live comfy on savings while looking for new job
>or go back to old job and tell coworkers stories
Don't get tied down to a job anon.
>>
>>1203131
GOOD SHOES
O
O
D

S
H
O
E
S
>>
File: Appalachian Trail 513.jpg (1.86 MB, 2272x1704)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
>>1203131
I did in 2012. Some advice I can give you is
>start early, like in February. being caught in a bubble of hikers just starting out sucks.
>make sure you ALWAYS filter/sterilize your water.
>getting a good nights sleep is key.
>depending on your speed, you will be hiking every single day approximately(give or take) 20 miles a day for approximately 4 months.
>Take as few 0 days as you can.
>Baby your feet.
>Buy shoes that give your toes wiggle room. >When you inevitably have to hike with soaking wet feet, you need to stop every couple hours, take off your shoes, sprinkle some baby powder on them, and let them dry. baby powder helps.
>buy a trail guidebook, they can be very useful.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them
>>
>>1203329
Maybe I'll just section hike instead. Having responsibilities sucks
>>
Reminder: if you get off the trail and go to town for supplies, showers, beds, etc, you are a SECTION HIKER not a THRU HIKER
>>
>>1203346
What is the food situation like? What did you do carry? How much did you carry at one time? How often did you resupply?

Where were you getting your water? How often? What did you do to sterilize it?
>>
Is it worth doing? Around how much money would be needed for the entire trip?
>>
>>1203346
>4 months
I aiming for a 4 month AT this year. Did you find it much of a struggle? I did a 500 mile route last summer in 29 days, the route went through some good high mountains so included some pretty gnarly daily elevation gain/loss.
>>
>>1203713
>Around how much money would be needed for the entire trip?
The general rule of thumb that is totted is ~$1k a month. You can do it for less. But have $1k a month is a safe amount to aim for. This excludes gear purchase btw.
>>
>>1203836
What is the $1k spent on? I get food in backpacking isn’t cheap and it’s good to have extra money just in case, but $1k seems like a ton
>>
>>1203899
Food, gear replacement, hostels, there a ton of little things that crop up. While $1k does seem like a lot, it's not hard to hit that. My rule of thumb is to usually set a budget, but make sure I have at least 20-30% more than that. Also hiking while trying to count every penny blows.
>>
>>1203899
Another way to look at it is $1-$3 a mile.
>>
>>1203329
Quitting a cakewalk 100k a year job to go walk for 6 months straight... End up busting my ass for $12 and hour elsewhere.

No thanks.
>>
>>1203385
Tough guy over here who carried 6+ months worth of food. Please tell us all how you pulled this one off
>This should be good
>>
>>1204015
He didn't say anything of that stuff jiggaboo
>>
>>1204045
If that’s not what he’s implying it’s even more ridiculous of a statement.
>>
>>1203835
Your best bet is to probably have that budget in casr anything comes up but you won't spend that much unless if you are a retard.
>>
>>1204045
If you don't buy supplies that means you need to carry all your food with you from the beginning. It's simple logic man.
>>
>>1203149
what made ya quit? just loss of will to continue?
>>
>>1204102
Oh ive never even tried to hike it all at once that’s my regret. I just do parts of it here and there. Maybe 50-60 miles of it or so a year on weekend trips.
>>
>>1204174
You know what I just googled what section hiker meant and I guess it’s not what I thought it was (hiking it in sections over time). I’m more of a weekend warrior
>>
Ausfag here, I start uni this year, but im gunning to do the AT almost as soon as I finish (4-5 years)

any other foreigners have advice? What can you get to bring with you, what do you need to buy once youre there?
>>
if you spend a thousand a month to walk a trail, you're going /out/ wrong.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.