[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 169 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: camp setup.jpg (97 KB, 640x480)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
These threads are the lint trap of /out/. Post your miscellany.
>>
>>1226017
best stove for 1 person? Should I just make my own or use a campfire?
>>
>>1226017

Any suggestions for lightweight, longsleeve, button-up shirts that aren't stupid expensive? I need to fill the gap between t-shirts and warm-as-fuck wool shirts.

What brands should I be looking at? I like 5.11 pants, are there 'tactical' shirts any good?

>>1226020

I've used those little individual Primus stoves, the coleman naptha stoves, and campfires.

IT really depends on what you plan to do, and what you're local environment and laws allow. I always rely on campfires and locally sourced and purified water when out hunting and fishing, but I take along a primus stove when hiking for simplicities sake.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4010-927/Classic-Trail-LPG-Stove
>>
>>1226020
Jetboil.
>>
>>1226020
I've used a jetboil flash, and I've used a trangia spirit burner. I'll try to be concise with my needs and experience.
>using jetboil flash
I like coffee while I camp. I use the fogler's coffee bags, very nice. The jetboil flash was pretty good for this, just boil your water, pour into mug, wait. The coffee, when done steeping, sometimes cooled to the point of iced coffee in the winter though. I really like ramen when I'm out, sue me. Jetboil flash was not so good for this. I have to either break the noodle puck up and cook in the flash pot, or boil water, place noodle puck in my 775ml pot, then pour water over the noodles. Not a bad solution but again in winter, you get warm soup,not hot. Can be remedied by just putting the pot on the fire though, which I started doing. Cooking mountain house meals is a breeze with the jetboil flash as well, the pour spout comes in handy. The fuel is a little on the heavy side, kinda of bulky for my taste, and about 6 USD a piece IIRC.
>Trangia spirit burner
I like this one just a bit more, just to preface. The unit itself is very small, the fuel is as cheap as a bottle of isopropyl alcohol can be, and you can use it in any weather. I pair mine with a little cross piece so I can set mugs or pots on top of the flame. I don't use a wind screen, it's usually enough to just make a divot in the dirt and place the burner in there. I like the burner especially for coffee since I can boil and steep water at the same time, same with ramen. The advantages in my eyes are
>small
>cheap
>versatile
>bulletproof
Disadvantages are really (imo) just
>takes about 10-15 minutes to boil water

I will end by saying the jetboil is an ingenious product, I like it, and most of my issues with the jetboil flash are solved with the jetboil minimo. I also had to modify my trangia setup slightly, essentially just adding a spout to my 775ml cook pot. All of my trangia gear fits perfectly in my pot,including food.
>>
>>1226020
best stove period is msr whisperlite. runs on anything
>white gas
>kerosene
>unleaded fucking gasoline
for one person you can just pack less fuel. campfire's are max comfy, but are more condition dependent.
>>1226032
thrift stores ftw. they always have so many button ups you're pretty much assured of getting the color+material+fit+size you like within 2 stops.
>>
I've been pretty comfy using my green army bag (the "patrol bag"). It was a freebie, so I won't feel bad replacing it. It's a bit bulky, and it's rated to 30F, though with careful tent setup and a sleeping mat I've been good at 15F. Maybe a bit chilly. I really want to replace the both of them though, the pad (another army one, the inflatable one) and the bag. I do have the entire MSS, so I have access to the black bag and bivvy bag, for reference.

TL;DR, what bags can I look at at the 15-30F range that WON'T run me 400 USD? The pickings seem pretty slim, and for that money I'd at least need an iron-clad guarantee of quality, you know?
>>
>>1226057
keep an eye on sales and you can find decent 15-20° down bags for ~$200. though the best time of year is jan-feb when retailers are clearancing last year's design. rei recently was doing that with the marmot sawtooth, but i'm not sure if they still are.
>>
>>1226062
Oh shit, that ain't a bad deal at all.
>>
>>1226032
>>1226041
>>1226043
>>1226054

Those all sound cool, but I was leaning more towards getting a wood stove, something small and light enough I can take it camping, but something no bigger than a 5 gallon bucket.
>>
>>1226079
A wood stove meaning the burners that collapse on themselves to store, and are used with tinder and twigs? they are ok pieces, but a couple of issues and observations from having seen them used
>cannot work in damp weather
>fuel may not be plentiful enough to maintain a boil
>all around PITA
I get what you're going for, the wood stove is a self-reliant piece of kit, you just put in your natural fuel and go, and I played with hat idea for a while, but really you achieve the same thing with a campfire and a tripod made from sticks to suspend a pot from. The wood stoves are really depressing when it's a light mist and chill out and you can't get a fire going in them without splitting logs for dry wood.
>>
>>1226083
I see your point, thank you.
>>
>>1226020
Happy stove
>>
>>1226062
The new onetigris budget down bags look pretty good. theres a winter one
>>
File: bushbuddy.jpg (79 KB, 640x427)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>1226079

The only wood stoves I've encountered like this are the pricey ones like the Kifaru cylinder stove
https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/smith-cylinder-stove-p188.aspx

a cheaper one called a 'bush buddy'
https://bushbuddystove.com/collections/all

Or those homemade hobo stoves
http://www.practicalsurvivor.com/hobostove

I can't honestly say that I have any real experience with them, though, so I can't offer an opinion. Just from looking at each, I'd prob go with the bushbuddy.

Or home-made hobo stoves
>>
>>1226136
The Solo stove $69 on amazon, but looking up bush buddy to compare prices I found a little $15 one

https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Camping-Stove-Backpacking-Stainless/dp/B0125U36Q2/ref=sr_1_1
>>
>>1226288
AliExpress has some good deals on these cheap wood stoves as well. They're cheap enough that you can buy one just to try out anyhow.
>>
>>1226032
as far as Lightweight Shirts go, I had a look through the workwear catalogues that the local supplier stocks. I got hold of a work shirt that suits my purposes just fine for half the price of the 5.11 stuff. If you don't need the brand name to attention whore over, workwear is the go. If you need operator/fa then go spend the extra money. Second hand store/ thrift shops should be checked regularly for workwear that suits your purpose. I have the brand 'Hard Yakka' it is an Aussie brand - Ausbro here.
>>
>>1226032
Take a look a army dump stores. Most armed forces have a version of what you're looking for. Otherwise check out second hand scout uniforms.
>>
>>1226083
>achieve the same thing with a campfire and a tripod
Not quite. The additional heat containment provided by a folding stove is not to be understated and greatly affects fuel requirements. A reliable fire kit will contain some type of chemical fuel anyway either liquid or solid and that can be combined with a small folding stove to net a similar result to a jetboil or similar when fuel is not available.

>can't get a fire going...without splitting logs
Fail. So much fail.
>>
>no qualifications whatsoever
>Keep applying for forestry jobs
What are my chances of getting hired? I mean it's mostly menial, mexican tier work but I assume that at least being proficient with a chainsaw is a must have.
>>
This is going to sound stupid but can someone explain to me how Jet boil and other stoves like it work? I understand it's a fuel canister, but when it runs out of fuel then what? Can you refill it yourself with just a regular propane tank from home depot? Do you just toss the canister and buy a new one? Also how long does the fuel last?
>>
>>1226994
You just toss them. I think I saw a guy refilling them on youtube but I don't think it's worth the trouble.
For morning coffee and dinner for 2 people, I usually get 6 or 7 days but it depends on the the temps and the stove you're using.
>>
>>1226994
Also, they're iso-pro not straight propane. It's like propane mixed with butane
>>
>>1226994
Pierce the can, mark a couple x's on the outside with a felt tipped pen, and then toss it in the trash. Very few people have access to solid waste facilities that can recycles those types of canisters.

They are pretty wasteful. I think a better route is a liquid fuel stove that has a refillable canister. Much less waste and cheaper fuel.
>>
>>1226994
>>1227101
>>1227107
stoves with nonrefillable canisters are a scam. i never understand why people buy them.
>>
>>1226032
Between a t-shirt and wool, I recommend those polyester thermals, like dry fit or under armour. It's my go to base layer and is good in warm or cold.
>>
>>1227101
>>1227102
Thanks for clarifying.

>>1227107
>>1227122
Recommend any brands for refillable stoves?
>>
>>1227158
msr whisperlite
>white gas
>kerosene
>unleaded fucking gasoline
>>
>>1227168
Right, should have seen >>1226054
Thanks
>>
>>1227122
I don't think they are a complete scam. Isobutane/propane stoves have a really nice flame which is easily adjusted. Liquid fuel stoves, while still good, are not able to give the same control as those canister stoves.

People buy canister stoves because they have a much cheaper upfront cost than a liquid fuel stove, marginally easier to operate, and often lighter. Overall I still think the liquid fuel stove is the best way to go for most people.

>>1227158
>>1227221
MSR, Primus, and Optimus are the best companies making liquid fuel stoves. They all have offerings that will last a lifetime with proper maintenance.

MSR XGK
MSR Whisperlite International
Primus Omnifuel
Primus Omnilite Ti
Optimus Nova
>>
>>1226522

Thanks. Yeah, I;m not married to name brand 'tactical' clothes, but being a milfag that's the only stuff I'm familiar with that's close to what I want.

I'll keep an eye on the thrift stores.
>>
>>1227138

Thanks. I have a few of those and like them, but I was more in the market for something looser fitting with a few pockets. Right now I just use cotton shirts when fishing or hunting, but I figured I'll look around for some better gear.
>>
>>1227221
lol, i knew i was repeating myself, but i didn't realize it was that close.
>>
>>1226020
msr whisperlite and a campfire is all you need.
>>
Assuming I'm going to be camping in decent weather and don't need a lot of protection from the cold and rain, what's the best 1-man tenting set up for as little money as possible? I want to make do with a sleeping bag, foam mat, and a tarp bivouac, and as little else as realistically possible for shelter.
>>
Has anyone here gone to a nudist colony/beach/resort before?
I'm kinda interested in trying it, but obviously have some reservations and am not too sure what to expect.
In my mind, I think it'll just be a bunch of 70 year olds and the odd German tourist. Which obviously doesn't bother me too much because it's about my own feeling of being free, but at the same time, it would be nice to have young people to talk to when there

Australia btw
>>
>>1226079
Carry an alcohol stove, the alcohol is multi purpose, the stove weighs practically nothing, and you can make a wood stove out of whatever's around you like rocks, dirt, or large pieces of wood in seconds.
>>
>>1227107
>>1227101
>>1226994
>>1227122
What do yall have against canisters? A large butane canister costs $5 and will I usually good for 3 weeks to a month eating hot food twice a day and coffee or hot chocolate at lunch. If it doesn't last this long you are probably cooking with it instead of just heating. Pasta I will just add to the boiling water turn off the stove and put the lid on, rice only needs like two minutes of boiling before giving it the same treatment. Don't boil more water than you need and don't heat your water more than you have to ie don't boil water for instant coffee, just get it hot.

>>1227311
I use a canister stove mostly because it's fast, when I set up camp I can have my food cooked by the time I have my tent up, which is less than 3 minutes, liquid fuel stoves take way longer not just in cooking time but in setup and take down.
>>
>had pair of boots that fit great and I liked a lot
>they got beat up so I bought another pair, same exact model and size
>Hike in them
>Heels get torn to shit

How the fuck does this shit work? Is that something the magical process of breaking in is going to fix? I don't get why this happened or why walking in them more would food it.
>>
>>1227710
*Fix
>>
>>1227700
>$5 for a month of stove use
Your numbers seem way off. Where are you getting even small canisters for $5?

450 g of isobutane/propane fuel is just enough to bring 45 liters of water to a boil. Hardly enough to last a month of use twice a day + beverages.

>liquid fuel stoves take way longer not just in cooking time but in setup and take down

Eh, priming does take a minute, but once it's primed a liquid fuel stove cooks as fast or faster than a canister stove. Meanwhile, a canister stove won't even work in cold weather. I've never been in such a rush /out/ that I didn't have the extra minute to prime.
>>
MOLLE II rucksack for camping as a milsurp fag
Y/N?
>>
How many days can I go with a 30L pack?
>>
>>1228147
Me 10, you 0
>>
>>1226057
Kelty cosmic down. Great bag for the price. They come in a variety of temps. Usually run in the $120-180 range.
>>
>>1228200
:(
>>
how do i learn how to read a map?
>>
>>1227734
My last canister was 4 something, came to 5 with tax at some random canoeing store. I have payed more for them but I think they are like 7 bucks at walmart, not sure. And boiling 45L per 450g seems about right. I am boiling like 3-400mL at breakfast and dinner, and warming another 300 three times a day. I am not boiling for extended periods because of parboiled/instant rice and noodles, very basic. Most of my variety/calories comes as cold foods and my warm foods are comfort foods like oatmeal.
>>
>>1228772
There are lot of great youtube tutorials that go from basic things to very in depth map and compass reading. Your local REI (Or MEC if you're in Canada like myself) will usually have workshops for tons of topics and map reading and compass use are pretty common ones.
>>
>>1226079
I gotchu senpai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39b9_jEi3ss

(turn on closed captions if you don't speak fingolian)
>>
>>1226994
You can absolutely refill the canisters.

A canister refill adapter costs about ten bucks. There are several kinds you can buy off Amazon for different gas sources. The cheapest one is pic related, and passes gas har har between those $1.50 butane cans and the isogas canister. Using straight butane is only a problem in winter, and you can work around it by carrying the canister in your jacket.
>>
>>1226994
>>1228960
Also I should say that the Jetboil absolutely sips gas. Insanely efficient. I can't tell you exactly how much to expect, but my brother bought a canister for his new Jetboil two years ago. He died before it did.
>>
>>1227679
The only real rule is "Don't stare."

In my experience nudist beaches with mostly young people tend to be at freshwater lakes in the mountains. And not well known.
>>
>>1228962
>He died before it did.
wtf anon
>>
Does anyone have experience with shelters that do well in windy conditions? My shelter is nice but its does not hold up in the wind. The walls tend to collapse in too much under wind no matter how tight i pitch it, and the tent is way to loud to sleep during a windy night.
>>
How do you silence that irrational voice in your head that keeps telling you to quit work, leave your gf and live in a van down by the river?
>>
>>1228986
In nasty weather I'll hang a heavy duty tarp over my tent to pretect from wind and rain. Definitely adds weight but in nice weather I'll use the same tarp as a ground cloth to nap in the sun or prep food on or a dozen different things
>>
File: dh.jpg (30 KB, 356x356)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1229203
You're never going to get rid of it, just remind yourself how quickly the van life would get boring. And exercise a healthy amount of spontaneity, within the boundaries of basic personal security.
>>
Any tips for stuff I should bring while dayhiking in scotland?
Sturdy boots and wax are already on the list.
>>
>>1227158
Msr whisperlite. There will be a time when you cross over into the positive for fuel consumption. Throwing away those 5 dollar canisters and having to go out off your way to find new ones sucks. Literally use any form of fuel with the international model.
>>
>>1227665
Eureka! 2-man backpacking tent
>>
>>1227710
Just because they're the same brand and model doesn't make them the same. For any specific brand and model there can be 3 different kinds, all identical but of varying quality. For example, let's take a Sketchers N8. Sketchers will make 3 identical versions but one will be cheap, one normal and one fine. They'll sell the cheap one to Walmart, the normal one to DSW and the fine one to some high-end store. It's a trick the shoe industry pulls.

t. former cobbler
>>
Here's a long shot: can I kayak the entire length of the Provo river? I want to start at wall lake... It's like ~65 miles of river. There would be a lot of portages. I can't find any resources for the first leg of the adventure.
>>
File: 20180320_165729.png (1.78 MB, 1080x762)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
How fucked am i? Military sleeping bag with bivy sack/this hammock set up. Low of 42 tonight. 1/2
>>
File: 20180320_165744.png (1.78 MB, 1080x801)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
>>1230315
2/2
>>
>>1230139
Short answer, yes. Long answer, it might be hard but you can kayak anything if you try hard enough and are willing to portage.
>>
>>1230315

>In a bivy

Yes son you are fucked
>>
>>1230315
>>1230317

Why do these pictures look like NW Florida, bub.
>>
>>1230317
No sleeping pad or insulation below you is gonna be a bad time. I don't have the mss or much experience, so maybe the insulation on the underside of the bags will be enough.
>>
>>1230380
I will learn from it i guess. Winds are supposed to get up to 25mph tonight and I'm already cold. I should have bought a god damn underquilt.

>>1230382
You are so close it's not even funny. I was in north Florida last weekend in the Apalachicola National forest though. Pic related.
>>
>>1230421
I could toss my pad in the hammock with me but I'm afraid it may not fit
>>
File: coniber.jpg (49 KB, 500x375)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
anyone here know about trapping?

I am trying to trap a few beavers who keep chewing down all the trees at my aunt's small pond with conibear traps. Where should I be setting these traps at? Most of the youtube videos say to damage their dam and set the trap where they will swim into it, but there are no dams or running water that I can see nearby. I also haven't been able to find any sort of den that looks like they might be living in.

There are a bunch of slides around the backside of the pond which is where I set the traps up but I haven't had any luck.
>>
do they make insulating sleeping bag liners? would it be more space efficient to take a smaller sleeping bag and a liner packed separately?

>>1230422
yeah son! i live right next to there. how you like the mosquitoes this time around?
>>
>>1230571
Best bet is to keep searching for that den. Once you find the den, you'll want to scout out trails going to and from the den. Animals are creatures of habit, they usually always use the same few trails because it's comfortable to them. Once you pinpoint those trails, then setup your traps and don't forgot to mask your scent along with the scent of the traps the entire time.
>>
>>1230641
looking online now i can see they pack quite small, so i will confidently say that they do conserve space. with that out of the way, can anyone recommend them? are they as good as is described on the product?
https://www.rei.com/product/797114/sea-to-summit-thermolite-reactor-extreme-mummy-bag-liner
it says it increases up to 25F. So reasonably I should be able to get an alright bag that packs small and combine it with this to get the same insulation and compression as a higher end bag without having to spend quite so much?
>>
>>1230315
What tarp is that?
>>
>>1230641
Dude, i pack 100 deet and start a fire, they basically leave me the fuck alone after that. I can't stand them though. You're from around Apalachicola? That's neat dude, i never meet anyone near me that's into this stuff.
>>
>>1230732
That's an NVA shelter half (east german)
>>
>>1230765
>>1230641
Shoot me an email some time, haydendaws@live.com. Next time I'm out near brown house hunt camp, I'll let you know.
>>
>>1230422

Conecuh?
>>
>>1230139
>>1230361

How screwed am I in shallow water? I think the head will be nothing more than a Creek. My plan was to wade the bed of the Creek toting the kayak behind me like a sled until it got deep enough. Will that work our will I be sad?
>>
>>1230425
I generally use mine inside my pad, 3/4 inflated. Much easier to keep under you.
>>
>>1226017
So my dumbass friend wants to go on an extended camping trip with me in the rockies, but doesn't want to spend the money on a pair of hiking boots. I'd rather not have him destroy his feet and cut the trip short, so what's the cheapest pair of boots that won't ruin the trip?
>>
File: quebec.jpg (135 KB, 576x546)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
How late into the season can you xcountry ski in Quebec? New England snow will all be gone soon.
>>
Heres a question:
I just bought a 4runner that didn't have factory installed roof rack. Can i successfully install a roof rack if i pull it from a junkyard or should i go the expensive route and drop$400 for a Yakima roof rack?
>>
>>1232114
I hiked in a pair of BOGS before I got some Merrill's. The BOGS weren't terrible, but the extra $70 is worth it for a better brand.
>>
File: 1520637411498.gif (533 KB, 720x404)
533 KB
533 KB GIF
>>1228962
> He died before it did.

Jesus fucking christ thats a hell of a sales pitch
>>
>>1230315
anon, the key to sleeping in hammocks in cold weather is a sleeping pad. literaller it makes sooooo much difference
>>
what are a good jet sky brand? seadoo?
grill utensiles, webber or chinesse knockoffs?
>>
Can anyone recommend me a tree identification guide for a beginner in the northeast US
>>
>>1230571
find dam
break dam
set trap in water filled trench leading to dam
wake up..eat breakfast
get beaver from trap
profit
>>
>>1233518
>break dam
easier said than done. usually they have to blasted. i know a groundskeeper who got the contract from a town to remove a beaver dam that was clogging a waterway under a bridge. they were using grappling hooks and winches to pull it apart and it took them fucking days, he said he ended up losing money because there was no better way to pull it apart that was legal
>>
>>1226017
Is that a Ludvik?
>>
>>1226288
I have this one. It's alright. Prefer my hobo stove.
>>
>>1231600
How far downstream is the nearest USGS gauge? Look at that and pack the yak light so it will float easy.
>>
>>1226522
Hard Yakka is absolute trash
>>
I'm finally going to buy a merino wool t shirt. Any recommendations that aren't super expensive? 150 weight. I'm tired of how bad my shirts smell after making camp.
>>
>>1226017
my zion trip is rapidly approaching. doing a series of day hikes all hovering around the 10mi mark. I am taking the lead on this as point man for the group. one of my hiking friends texted me asking if i was bringing my full pack (55L) and another asked me what my pack list was.

i told them its just a regular day trip, just add a pair of neoprene socks, towel, and maybe extra water. no need for a full pack 20L-30L should be fine.

did i give them the correct advice?
>>
>>1234578
Yeah, Zion in spring is pretty mild, so not a lot of gear required for day hikes - nothing beyond the obvious.
>>
>>1234552
I got my merino wool hoodie for $60 CAD on clearance at my local MEC. I suggest you check clearance racks first.
>>
>>1234913
Thanks! I heard the snowpack was garbage this year so I’m hoping to great conditions on the subway but sorry about your riding/skiing/braaaaaping season... and drought in 3 months.
>>
>>1226017
bright heavy duty oil lantern? Bullseye lantern where?
>>
File: windy.jpg (5 KB, 225x225)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1226017
it's the nautika windy 1 tent good? i have a low budget for a tent and i want to go south of my country, very rainy climate.
>>
What is the reason for the sudden spike in duplicate threads, threads with questions that belong in here and troll threads?
School holidays or something?
>>
>>1233403
Same question here. I'd like a simple guide to plants and trees just saying what they're good for in a suruvval scenario.
>>
I'm going to be a trail crew leader this summer. If I keep an extra water bottle, a spare pair of socks, and toilet paper for my crew in my pack will it seem autistic?
>>
>>1233403
https://www.amazon.com/Audubon-Society-Field-Guide-American/dp/0394507606/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Take 10 minutes and learn how to use the key in the beginning, then it's smooth sailing. Also

https://www.amazon.com/Bark-Field-Guide-Trees-Northeast/dp/1584658525/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1522244569&sr=1-1&keywords=bark
>>
bump
>>
File: lumberjews.jpg (305 KB, 2048x1347)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
How much should I realistically be paying for a tarp? Are they all practically the same so long as they're just waterproof and aren't those fancy tarp-cloak hybrid things from East Germany?
I'm seeing most for around 40 euro with stakes and some para cord and shit but I also see some for 10 euro or less.
>>
>>1236959
That picture makes me want to vomit
>>
>>1236959
some have a slightly lower waterproof rating than others which might lead to misting in heavier rains. weight of the tarp also varies a lot. even if you're not ultralight, you might be able to save quite a bit of weight with a small investment.
>>
File: 1520806158254.png (26 KB, 653x527)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>green spaces systematically being bulldozed and replaced with condos and luxury shopping centers
>book stores going out of business while The Emoji Movie nails it at the box office
>try to share love of outdoorsing with frens and family and they stare at you like you just admitted to murdering someone.
How do you cope? I'm going insane. But I have an established career so I can't just run away from it.
>>
>>1237111
“Can’t”

Literally nothing is stopping you from fucking off in the woods right now .
>>
>>1236124
maybe, but when somebody needs it you won't.
>>
>>1237114
I guess I just hate leaving loose ends untied
>>
>>1237111
Hunt for a mate with similar interests.
Make her fat with your offspring and have them share in your outdoor activities
>>
Advice on propagating paw paw trees?
>>
>>1236124
I'd suggest maybe not advertising it so that others don't rely on you to have what they don't want to bring. But when someone needs it then you have it.
>>
>>1234020
Yes.
>>
>>1230317
I slept in one last night in GA with no tarp, just a sleeping bag. Cold as fuck in the am. Otherwise no prob
>>
File: TBvan.gif (177 KB, 900x675)
177 KB
177 KB GIF
went for this on /trv/ no bites.

i know there are at least 3 people that lurk here that have been to corsica so im gunna try here....

Going to Corsica in Early June. Plan on Staying in the South East. already rented a small car. Looking for favorite uncrowded beaches. Coolest Little Mountain Towns. Best places to buy a real handmade Corsican knife. Things the I should not miss. Things I should eat. all that jazz.

I like moderate day hikes, boats, swimming empty sand beaches, caves, small cafes, impressive stone work, lonely places, and history. Obviously combinations of any of those would be sweet.

some other questions
do they have american style ice coffee?
can i get away without speaking much french?
>>
>>1226017
Anyone know any good places to do a bit of urban exploring in Upstate NY that are a bit more off the beaten path than the Rochester Subway or Buffalo Central?
>>
Did anybody have problem buying permethrin on the internet (in Europe mostly)? Shit like seller sending you something of similar name.
I'm planning to buy permethrin via internet because in local shops I only found cypermethrin which is toxic to people and cannot be used on clothes.
>>
>>1228962
>He died before it did.
Wew, you would be a good salesman.
>>
anyone have tips/tricks for wood carving. I know it sounds Larpy but I would like to learn how to make a bowl or spoon or something.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 1002x564)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Moving to Santa Fe soon from New England, tips for acclimating to high desert? Spots to check out?
>>
File: Screencap_980.jpg (34 KB, 422x403)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Taking the Hunter's Safety Course for my state and this is legit the list they give for a day hunt. Is this shit all necessary on a DAY hunt?

Day Pack-Survival Kit and Equipment

In addition to your hunting gear, which includes your firearm—or bow—and field-dressing equipment, you also should prepare a day pack that includes emergency supplies. Although the contents will vary based on conditions and personal preference, an emergency day pack could include:

-Blades and ropes for a survival kit
-Base plate compass with signal mirror
-Candle
-Emergency high-energy food
-Extra boot laces
-Extra pair of glasses
-Extra two-day supply of prescription medicine
-Fire starters—waterproof matches, butane lighter, etc.
-First-aid kit
-Fishing line and hooks
-Flashlight with spare batteries and bulbs
-Folding saw
-Knives
-Map
-Metal, waterproof carrying case that can double as a cooking pot
-Nylon rope
-Plastic sheet or large garbage bag
-Poncho
-Signal flares
-Single-edged razor blade
-Small can of lighter fluid
-Snare wire or twine
-Thermal foil blanket
-Tissues
-Water
-Water purification tablets
-Whistle (plastic)

Additional Equipment
-Binoculars or spotting scope
-Biodegradable trail markers
-Duct tape
-Hatchet or ax
-Pencil and paper pad
-Shovel
-Sleeping bag appropriate for climate
>>
>>1228147
3-5 depending on how you pack.
>>
>>1226017

A while ago anon posted a pdf which was a translated english version of the Baofeng radio manual.

Does anyone have a link? I can't find the copy I downloaded

Thanks
>>
File: einstein-bee.jpg (18 KB, 300x230)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
If you kill a bee or wasp, does it make the other bees/wasps come and try to sting you? Do they smell the death or something and start attacking or does it have no effect on the behavior of the other ones?
>>
going treeplanting in BC for 3 months

any tips?
>>
>>1241049
Ask "Do I hate life

If yes, plant

if not

flip burgers
>>
Any Indianafags here? I’m a first time camper for a good campground for mid April. Any recomendations?
>>
>>1241051
*looking for
>>
>>1241050

ill suffer in silence, i need to get out of my small town
>>
>>1241045
I don't know a lot about wasps, but when honeybees sting you they release a pheromone (that smells like bananas) that prompts all the other bees in the area to come beat the shit out of you. It is very possible that wasps act the same, but I am not sure.

t. beekeeper
>>
File: 1512434503536.jpg (1.91 MB, 1446x2046)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>1237111

I'm married with a kid and I wonder how common it is for a husband to go camping without the rest of the family if they're not into it. It would be sick to have habby family camping trips, but I'm not sure how well that would fly with my family at the moment.

Any of you in similar situations? What do you do?
>>
>>1241226
i'm married 12 years with a 3 year old. we're all /out/ and go camping together, but i also go on 4-5 backpacking trips a year without them. likewise my wife gets to go do stuff with her sister without us. i love them immensely and am always happy to be with them, but we're our own people and need out own time.
>>
how do i be less scared of being /out/ at night?
>>
>>1241365
bring a friend
>>
>>1241392
I've gone hiking with friends before, doesn't seem to help mate
>>
>>1241054
Yes. Go to the southern parts of the state, much more to do there. There are caves down there also, underground, varying in lengths of a few hunderd feet to nearly a mile or two in both length and depth. A decent number are not on any beaten path or website, state park, etc.
>>
>>1241365
Get more and more scared until you find something that really is scary, like a copperhead or a bear, or getting fucking lost. Then youll realize that you were likely scared of nothing in the first place.
>>
>>1241420
alright thanks lad, I'm assuming exposure helps as well i.e the more I do it the less scared I become?
>>
>>1229203
I did it. Happier than I was working Monday to Friday... still working, studying and busy as hell. I can imagine it would be boring and lonely if you just bummed around but that's not really necessary.
>>
>Florida
I have a rod and I’m getting a liscense for freshwater and shore fishing today.
Other than those two items what do I need to bring with me when I go fishing?
How early should I get up?
Is there a jack of all trades bait or do I need to learn about the fish in the area and specialize?
What do I do after I catch it, ie how do I know if it’s worth keeping to eat or if it’s too small?
do I scale and gut it on the spot or put it in a cooler and wait for when I get home?

I don’t know shit about fishing, only went once when I was 8.
>>
>>1229426
haggis
>>
I'm a fairly sedentary guy who's 5kg overweight.
My friends and I planned to hike a small mountain in a couple of months. Nothing too extreme around 1300meters/4000feet in height and the route is about 12kilometers.
What do I need to do to prepare? Cardio?
>>
I grew up without a father figure but always loved being outside as a kid, now as a man I want to rekindle my love of the outdoors.

How can I get started in the crafts of hunting, fishing, camping, and other important skills that I ought to have learned from my father? I've got no clue what spots to go for anything, let alone the skills to do anything with that knowledge.
>>
File: squaaaat.jpg (55 KB, 500x500)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1241452

Start doing some of the local walking and hiking trails in your city, wearing the kit you plan to wear for that mountain hike.

Hitting the gym a couple times a week couldn't hurt, since strength carries over in all endeavours. Look at Stronglifts 5x5 online, and do that.
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 241x209)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
I just got a silky gomboy, pretty keen to use it but does anyone know what the purpose of the hole in the middle of the blade near the spine is?

I know alot of saws have small holes for hanging them on a wall in a garage but doesn't seem to be the purpose of this one with it being mid-blade, but i could be wrong

Just curious more than anything else
>>
>>1241454
Hunting is a little tough unless you know someone else to show you the ropes

For Fishing, there are a few avenues. You can pay for a guide who will show you how along with showing you a few good spots to fish, you can go to a tackle shop and get some advice there, or use social media to find someone who is willing to pass on some info for ya. My local arwa has 3 or 4 facebook groups where people would be more than happy to show a new guy the ropes in exchange for a beer or just some friendly conversation.

Camping i would just dive in. Start slow, like car camping, before you go full backcountry. Do some research on what gear you need, what gear you want, and what gear is just extra weight that isnt needed. Again you may find a social media group that does some group trips if you search for it
>>
If I go innawoods this summer and bring a pack rid and some gear how much can I realistically rely on my ability to catch fish in say, maine? Assuming I dont mind eating shitskin bluegills. Obviously I bring plenty of food but I'm thinking about trying to augment it
>>
>>1241543
Not much. Fish is a good source of protein but super low cal count unless your eating salmonoids which are higher fat
>>
There’s a trail system made up of public and private land (lumber companies mostly) that stretches all throughout my state.
There are no fences and the only trail markers are made by other hikers.
How would I find out if I can camp on this trail system? Is it a state law thing or should I try to call whoever manages the trail system?

I’ve never seen bears there but I know there are deer, coyote and boars. How do I not get murdered by a pig if I spook one by accident?
>>
I wore a fleece jumper on my morning commute this morning instead of my cotton hoodie, as per the recomendation, and I was freezing more. Did I get trolled?
>>
>>1241528
This may sound retarded, but where am I supposed to camp/backpack? Can I just pitch a tent on any public land? Is there a good way to search good spots?
>>
>>1241807
I dont know muricas rules but in canada there are a ton of provincial parks where you just book a site and go, they have car spots and backcountry spots that you need to hike or paddle to. We also have crown land ( which is essentially just forested land owned by the government) where you can camp for free

Probably best to just call a state park in your area and see what thwy have to offer if your murican

You can always risk camping on random land but ive been kicked off farmers property before because i they didnt want randoms on their land. They were super nice about it though
>>
File: Rapist Horse.jpg (15 KB, 197x168)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1241420
>TFW, I'm lost while being chased by a copperhead riding a bear.
>>
>>1241428
Might be a good idea to read the fishing regulations.
>>
>>1227775
If you got back support, then why not.
>>
>>1228772
Play Arma 2 DayZ.
That's how I learned.
>>
is mountainbiking /out/-related or to be posted on /asp/?
asp seems like its only wrestling
>>
>>1241423
Naturally
>>
>>1237931
it's not that big you should be able to get around if you have your own car.
>>
>>1242324
>>>/n/
>>
Could anyone recomend a food dryer with good performance - price ration to me? Or is it better to build your own?
>>
>>1240523
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/
>>
What is the best way to wrap yourself in a wool blanket when sleeping /out/?
>>
File: can.jpg (1.52 MB, 4392x1632)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
What's some shit I should toss in this coffee can? I'm at a loss what to do with it for some reason but I don't like throwing cans and tins that seal so well out. It's watertight, 100g.
>>
Midwestfag's first time camping in the mountains. How much should my pack weigh? 6' 170lbs if that helps.
>>
Is using butane cigar lighters an overkill for starting campfires? I've used cheap bic lighter to light fires. It works fine but it just takes more effort.

I live in an area where it rains regularly.
>>
>>1244782
tea
spices
>>1244924
if you like doing it, do it, what are you going to prove being cold while starting a fire by rubbing toenails together
>>
>>1228962
Hahahaha
Dude what
>>
File: pocket blowtorch.jpg (7 KB, 113x300)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>1244924
There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to starting fires, anon.
>>
So I'm supposed to get my knives from Mora and my axes from Gransfor, right? Do I need to bring a hatchet if I plan on cooking over a fire for a 4-5 day excursion? I would expect I can gather enough 1-2" branches than can be broken underfoot to keep a fire going a few hours, but I havent been camping since car camping with the family as a kid. My plan is to bring a lot of instant oatmeal and spam for the most part. Gonna be camping in vermont if it matters.
>>
>>1245484
mora's fine for a utility knife, even if it's a meme. gransfors is definitely a meme. i like my fiskars, but w/e, just don't spend more than $30 on a hatchet. re: carrying a hatchet/axe, if you're staying in one place for 4-5 days, yeah a camp axe can make life easier, but if you're moving every day don't waste the weight. you shouldn't be burning stuff bigger than wrist diameter for a campfire anyways, and that's easy to break.
>>
>>1245485
Alright, that makes sense. I can't really stomach those fiskar axes looks, but I'll probably pick up an Estwing. I plan on hiking out and staying in the same spot for a few days, so spending a morning cutting a supply of deadwood would probably be good. I really only need to bring one or two extra items of clothing, right? If I don't get soaked I can't see any need.
>>
File: Untitled.png (8 KB, 1013x143)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>1245541
fuck I forgot my shitty amazon review image
>>
>>1245541
if you're staying in one spot camp axe>hatchet

for clothes, i bring a clean pair of socks for every day, and everything else i just rewear. but i do have a full clean set in the car so when i get back to it after a week i can swap out and feel at least sorta fresh.
>>
How is the Patagonia Synchilla? I usually wear a cheap zip hood when gardening but was considering the snap-t pullover. Can you fit a modern 5 inch phone in those chest pockets? I think it was designed for sunglases so not sure. How is the sizing? I'm European and many of them are listed as made in USA so I'm concerned about having to return it.
>>
>>1244183
Is this a joke?
>>
>>1232503
You could go pull the roofrack from a scrapped one but it would have to fit your truck and you would have to know how to instal it properly.
>>
>>1230315
Nice coffin you got there
>>
How can I take my cat /out/?
>>
>>1245686
It's not worth the price if you want gear that performs well. It's old design (fits like a potato sack) and it's only still around because of it's aesthetic. The pocket will not fit a phone comfortably. The sizes are fuck huge, especially compared to Euro sizing.

For the price, get a good polarfleece from Norrona or even Patagonia's other lines. There's a million good fleeces, but the synchilla is 90% rock climber nostalgia.
>>
>>1245699
I want to do this too but I'm too scared of him taking off/chasing and animal/being prey. Unfortunately I don't think the wild is the right place for a domesticated animal. I don't know though I suppose it depends on the cat.
>>
>>1245704
i will admit i am interested in it for the aesthetic but also patagonia's green credentials. i will take a look at the other brands you recommend though. my father has a rab one which seems pretty legit.
i saw some boutique stockists have european slim fitting but they are less common and pricier.
>>
Does anyone have a link to that one site that showed which lands belong to what agency or whether it was private or public property? I think it had to do something with the usgs. I remember it being interactive with overlays and such.
>>
anyone have experience with boat building? are pocketship good large woodworking projects?
>>
>>1245708
I actually have one, but as I said originally, it's mainly for the aesthetic. It's more like a comfy sweatshirt than a good piece of gear. It's pretty expensive for what it is.
>>
Is that tarp and hammock setup any good? Looks like a great way to save weight when camping in areas that have trees in the summer.
>>
are these hats worth the hefty price tag? for the material i mean.
https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/helags-cap

i know i'd be mostly paying for the brand logo but was wondering if these caps are durable/rain-resistant enough to shell out for
>>
File: 1523248702500.jpg (123 KB, 361x593)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
Do I need bivvy bag for my sleeping bag under tarp shelter or is it just a fucking meme? I'm using tent in winter but as spring/sumer comes planing to switch to tarp shelter. I'm in south England BTW.
>>
>>1247311
>For the material

It's a cotton poly blend why would you pay £35 for it?
>>
Any tips for an absolute beginner at Bushcraft? I recently got some handmedowns from my uncle and I'd like to know some things regarding where best to camp.
>>
Is there a name for this style of chair? This one's up on Massdrop for $60, but I wanted to look at different styles/colors/prices/brands.

[spoiler]don't laugh at me for wanting the yuru camp chair it looks comfy shut up[/spoiler]
>>
>>1241523
My guess is that it's to assist opening it if it gets slippery/slimy
>>
>>1244924
Not really, unless you're really insecure about your manlinness when it comes to firemaking.
Perhaps use some solid fuel or wood wool for easier fire in worse conditions and then lighter won't matter much.

But you'll learn how to start fires even in heavy rain with some practice afer some time without needing crutches
>>
File: bk11.jpg (74 KB, 604x567)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1245699
Good harness and leash trained cat for starters... some test runs and have a safe space for your catto if he gets anxious / spooped

Also might want to read up on adventure cats blog. Also Bolt and Keel have some good points on this topic

http://www.adventurecats.org/backcountry-basics/camping-cats-ultimate-guide/

http://www.boltandkeel.com/
>>
>>1237136
Depends where you live I guess. I don't have a lot of experience because here in Brisbane they grow even when you don't want them to.
A rotten pawpaw in the compost turned into multiple fully grown trees within a year or so.
It gives the possums something to destroy that isn't my avocados, so that's something I guess.
>>
>>1237931
>can i get away without speaking much french?
I'd learn it if I were you, normally you could get along fine, but if you want to avoid real touristy places there's no guarantee they'll speak English.
>>
>>1237931
>Things I should eat.
Maggot cheese! It's called casgiu merzu, and that's about all I know about Corsica other than the GR20 being a very tough but awesome hiking route.
>>
>>1247364
didn't read that. I might be retarded. I just assumed it was waterproof somehow lol
>>
>>1247843
Nayrt, but thanks. I've been getting my cat used to a harness and car trips.
>>
>>1247455
I call them camp chairs. That's an Alite, Helinox makes similar ones. I'm not laughing, I've been looking at them too. It gets cold sitting on the ground.
>>
>>1247423
Search the web for maps of public land (BLM, NF)
Scope out a place on google earth.
As for learning, there are thousands of videos on youtube for beginners. Amazon has plenty of good options for cheap beginner gear. Learn the basics: Fire, Shelter, preparing for adverse conditions, and proper tool use.
>>
File: p-732-14-301TN-4.jpg (253 KB, 644x900)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
I'd like to start doing canoe trips.

There's a pretty cool lake next to a city park that is decently sized. It's not remote, well populated. Should be a pretty good spot for a beginner. Besides a canoe, what should I use/take with me and throw in my bag?

Pic related, picked her up today.
>>
>>1248282
Are you taking a daytrip? overnighter? need more info buddy
>>
>>1248290
>>1248282

Gotcha. A short ride from the shore, three miles down the river and back to the shore.

Pretty short trip, walking the trails next to the river at the same distance takes a little more than a half hour.
>>
File: Ipass.jpg (3.39 MB, 4608x3072)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
How the fuck do I start an /out/ lifestyle? Ive lived in Kansas my whole life and the scenery here is depressing as hell and i'd love to move somewhere else and actually enjoy things.

pic from when I visited Independence Pass
>>
>>1248331
I'm also interested in this. I'm stuck in wichita for college and it feels like driving 8 hours in any direction but south is the only option I have to go /out/somewhere cool. Only time I really backpack or camp is on vacations out of the state.
>>
Best /out/ game??? I need preperation
>>
>>1248331
>>1248357

Fishing, hunting, farming.... You don't need mountains. Enjoy what you have
>>
>>1248410
You can not prepare for going /out/ by staying /in/. Just get off the computer and go learn by experience.
>>
what is the thickness range of sailcloths?
are they extremely heavy?

I'm asking, because I'd like to make a backpack out of it
>>
>>1248331
>>1248357

You can start a small garden, even if it means few plants on your window. I have some basic herbs in my dorm. It's pretty neat and chicks dig it if you can cook

/out/ings over weekends are pretty comfy and don't require much skill so you could start by purchasing basic gear, visiting nearest campsite and just figuring stuff out. If you can't spare a weekend you can use your holidays and read up on some basic skills in the meantime. For first trip you need:
> sleeping bag & mat
> tent although depends where you live and weather
> way to make a fire
> some food
Visit nearest campsite, rent a spot over the weekend, build a tent, cook some food, read a book or go hiking etc. You'll learn from trial and error mostly

There are sometimes threads with good /out/ movies & books, also good start

Bouldering / rock climbing courses are pretty accessible and even if you start on indoor walls you can later make some neat trips into nature to climb

Lurk the board and see if some hobbies catch your eye. Just start with something you like and you'll see eventually
>>
>>1248410
I don't think there's /out/ approved game. I can think of some that have bit of /out/ to it like or deal with outdoor activites like:
> The Long Dark
> Firewatch
> Stardew Valley
> Maybe some hunting games if you're into that

But they WILL NOT PREPARE YOU or give you better idea about outdoors activities. Most stuff you see in games is simplified or adapted to provide entertainment and not educational value.

Books, tutorials and skilled people should be your only source of knowledge
>>
>>1241807
You can pitch tent almost anywhere on BLM land and National Forests
Check each individual regs and dont burn the forests or fuck with some farmers cows
>>
>>1243518
>oven
>>
>>1244983
>There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to starting fires, anon.
https://youtu.be/PyOmFfAYJxc?t=38s
>>
i sleep-talk loudly, is there any way to stop this? it is very annoying to the people i camp with i am told
>>
File: 1050294639.jpg (172 KB, 640x480)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>1226017
i think that shelter would be better if it had more walls
>>
>>1236959
hehe, he doesn't pay $20
>>
>>1226017
>>1249856
Isn't that fire gonna start the wooden barrier on fire being that close to it?
>>
>>1241051
Turkey run, shades, brown county
>>
File: broofadoodledo.png (60 KB, 860x650)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
is there any better way of cooking than
>make big ass hole
>stick large firewood on bottom(leave few inches of space for air) sticking through the dirt in a grid shape
>tinder on top
>medium wood on top of it, in the grid shape
>tinder on top
>small wood on top of that, in grid shape
>tinder on top of that , with a few very small sticks on top to keep it alive
>light it and wait for it to die down to coals
>cook/smoke with it
its how my dad taught me and it works, but takes pretty long to set up
also
ive gotten a bit of extra money coming my way so
what do i get? im considering either a mag, a mora, an opinel, or something else?
>>
File: 10252808x1012905_zm.jpg (50 KB, 1000x1000)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
I'm thinking about copping a vest. I was going to go down but synthetic is much better if you ever expect any rain, right?
Originally I was going to go wool but I don't know if a 100% wool vest exists that doesn't look goofy as fuck.
eg. Filson.
>>
I really want to go and live in the woods for a few days but I'm on a hamstring budget, what's the key essentials for surviving?
>>
>>1250818
water, shelter, food
>>
>>1237120

people like you are the reason i don't make small talk in elevators
>>
>>1250806
down is utterly useless when wet. worse than useless, even.
>>
>>1250844
Say you get a light rain on your down when you're walking to the shops.
How fucked is it and how long until your shit is going to dry?
>>
Any good templates for making a tarp and/or hammock?
>>
>>1250912
Not really fucked, might smell a bit and won't insulate until you dry it but that's all. Synthetics perform bit better against water but if you want it to perform you should put a rainproof layer above that.

Dunno about drying, maybe few hours?
>>
>>1241452
No, 5kg overweight is not much, and your general shape is enough for 12km.
>>
>>1241452
Fellow overweight here, for 12km hike you don't really need to prepare for that.
Walking and /out/ing over weekends helps though...
>>
>>1249794
Only stuff that I know that helps reduce it is adjusting your sleep regime and lifestyle. Other than that either they get used to it or just bring your own tent
>>
>>1250929
Burn your $100 for tarp making supplies then go buy one off amazon
>>
What are some good /out/ recommended websites
I've been getting alot from Varusteleka lately but I want to shop around more.
Preferably european shops
>>
How do people who go camping abroad get knives/hatchets there. CAn you carry them on planes in checked luggage?
>>
>>1251075
For America it seems the TSA is pretty good about allowing most stuff.
https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/05/13/tsa-travel-tips-travel-tips-backpackers-campers-and-fishers
Short version: almost everything that is a common camping item, including hatchet and knives can be brought, but almost all of it has to be in checked luggage. Repellent needs to be in small bottles, and while stoves are allowed, the containers of fuel aren't, unless they are clearly empty.
>>
>>1251075
>>1251106

Shit I just saw you said abroad. It seems the TSA rules are the same, but then you also have to check the rules the country your traveling to. I would think camping gear is fine elsewhere, but then again the brits have to have a well defined reason for carrying a pocket knife, so who knows anymore.
>>
File: snickers_protein_bar.jpg (98 KB, 726x1100)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Ok so here is my problem. On every multi-week hike I eat one snickers protein bar a day. The thing is I always shit stones when I'm eating like this. Is there some easy way to prevent this with a supplement?
>>
>>1251154
Stop fucking eating then and I bet you won't have that problem
>>
>>1251166
Yea I guess not eating at all would work. But it's a mental thing of wanting to eat something eventhough it might not be necessary.
>>
This summer I'll build a cabin in the woods to save some rent money until september.
>Unlimited wood supply
>No electric tools, just an axe, a saw, nails and hammer
>no help from anyone
>must be durable enough to last at least 5 summer months (belgium)
Please post plans
>>
On a scale of 1 to raging faggot, how gay is it to sleep in a two person tent with another dude?

It seems like it would be gay as fuck to me.

Somewhat unrelated question: People who have slept in a two person tent with a female that wasn't their gf, how did you hide your morning wood from them?

t. No social life who has only ever gone backpacking alone
>>
>>1251290
you fuck the girl anon. if you are with a dude you fuck the dude too.
just make sure to say "what happens in this tent stays in this tent"
dont be a pussy anon. be a chad and fuck people. it will be good for you.
>>
>>1251301

>you fuck the girl anon.

Where does one find these girls you speak of?

I can't even find a girl to send phone messages too, where the fuck do people find girls into backpacking that will share a tent with them?
>>
>>1251290
are you touching each other's dicks? because otherwise it isn't gay.
>>
>>1251306
on the internet , in bars, on the streets , at your work/school... really anon are you living under a rock or what?
>>
File: 1504842052997.jpg (43 KB, 447x600)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
I've got a dilemma my frens, do I buy a just-the-right-size 12cm billycan for 27 euro, or a more superfluous 16cm billycan for 29 that is on sale.
I'm not sure what I'd do with the extra 4cm space, I'm only a single man and I'm not American. My rucksack proper is just 30cm across by 35 in length as well so space is a bit of an issue.
wot do
>>
>>1226017
Holy shit that actually looks really comfy
>>
>>1251290
>On a scale of 1 to raging faggot
depends on circumstance, personally i am confident in my own sexuality so i am not nervous about it, but also depends. are you being invited into a tent by an oily drunk greek dude? gay af, but just sleeping in a tent with a buddy? nah thats just efficiency
>People who have slept in a two person tent with a female that wasn't their gf, how did you hide your morning wood from them?
i didnet, any normally functioning adult would know what it is, double plus if its your friend, when your on the road with people those stupid barriers we erect between each other crumble
>when your hiking with a male friend how do you girls hide your sanitary towels or stains on the sleepingbag liner?
essentially same things but, when you get to know eachother it just doesnt fucking matter
>>
>>1250762
blease resbond
>>
can someone post the discord again
>>
>>1251645
go die in a fire
>>
>>1251290
I have slept in a two person tent with a female, but I am gay so.. I would probably get a big boner if I had to sleep with a man
>>
>>1250950
Good to know, cheers.
>>
How do I hide a camp on government land? Tips? Recommendations? Just want somewhere to hide out for a while and go back to once in a while without it being destroyed. A home away from home.
>>
>>1251785
Curious as well
>>
When i quickly fabricate a fishingrod form some wood is it better to use fresh wood or dry? My guess is that fresh wood will snap less fast
>>
>>1251785
Move around often.
>>
>>1251785
Stay off the beaten path and out of sight of trails. Use camouflage; camo pattern/colored materials as well as usage of local foliage. Only use a fire when absolutely necessary, avoiding oily/smokey materials. Cover your tracks, leave no trace.
>>
File: 1472704162445.jpg (185 KB, 960x731)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
How do you go about going out if you live in a densely populated area in Western Europe?
>>
>>1228772
https://virtualo.org/
>>
>>1252702
I go abroad or spend hours in car/train, no other options for anything other than a day walk.

Suppose I could stealth camp left and right, but it's simply impossible not to be within a kilometre from someone's house and at least one road.
>>
would emergency rations, along with fiber to mix in a water bottle (so I can shit) be a viable alternative to carrying real food when backpacking, assuming I don't care about flavor or feeling full?
>>
aQezJN7

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.