[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

For those of you that use spotting scopes for shooting or hunting, are they worth it? Looking at getting one for a hunt next fall - probably in the $300-500 range or are they not worth it at that price point and I should roll money that into
better binoculars?
>>
I think the terrain and what you're hunting should determine whether you should glass or not while binos are always useful
>>
Unless you hunt from >300 yards or static targets, I think binoculars are better for spotting and less cumbersome
>>
>>1244796
I'll be looking for animals at well over 300 yards and is exactly why I'm considering one.

Not sure if $300 binos and a $300 spotter is better than $600 binos.
>>
What sort of game will you be hunting? What area will you be located In? I use viper hd binos and they work great with good definition out to 1000m. If you have a antler only tag then you may need the finer details provided by the spotter
>>
>>1244971
I've never hunted. Most hunters around here bow hunt elk. Im in the mountains. What kind of animals and terrain do you snipe at 1000km?
>>
>>1244811
What rifle optic are you using?
>>
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 275x183)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1244971
>>1244971
Mule deer this year. My understanding is the terrain is basically the attached pic with more or fewer trees varying by individual valley/mountain.

>>1245040
I have a fairly nice, albeit older, 3-9 power.
>>
File: 20180401_114745 (Large).jpg (838 KB, 1920x1080)
838 KB
838 KB JPG
>>1245130
If your after trophies i'd grab the spotter, as if there's multiple animals that will give you the detail to decide which to pursue. If you're meat hunting i'd go for the best knockers you can get with a decent tripod. A good tripod really helps find the fine details like a ear or a flick of a tail.

>>1245038
1000m. I dont shoot at at animals that far out as if I see something I want it in my freezer so will take a poke at anything inside 450m. As for terrain im located in New Zealand so it varies alot but typically something like pic attached
>>
>>1244739
what's that camouflage
>>
>>1247814
Microsoft paint special custom camo
>>
>>1247814
It kind of looks like really dirty Kuiu Vias.
>>
any suggestions for astronomy binocs? My celestron 15x70 are starting to wear out
>>
>>1247814
Also interested, not that I’ll be able to afford it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.