[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

#222-“Say No To Flouro” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1244885

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
File: 1444232810315.jpg (20 KB, 306x306)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>Wanted to go fishing today
>We're getting a snowstorm
>>
>>1249546
Midwest detected. Also, what are your guys using for steelhead?
>>
Will using a cane rod make me look like a huge fedora? I like to mountain bike along a river path, and a telescopic one would be pretty cool to whip out when I wanna fish
>>
>>1249561
They are great for fish up too 2lbs or so that stay close to the bank.
>>
>>1249552
spoons and corn are working the best for me currently
>>
>>1249561
nah you'll be alright, i keep a dock demon in my backpack in case i run into a pond i want to fish, everyone thinks it's an antenna lol
>>
>>1249570
Wouldn't a spawn sack be better? Or are you not allowed to use bait? Right now I have a spawn sack on a lindy rig with a floater.
>>
File: 34263462346.jpg (10 KB, 259x194)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1249523
Greetings chums. The pastebin and imgur links helped me to get started fishing and I've had some success already fishing for bass in lakes using crankbaits. I am wondering if there are any more resources out there for learning to saltwater fish, as the saltwater info provided in the pastebin is pretty brief.
I've been using cut squid and worms on a bottom rig cast from the shore into the bay with no luck. I feel like I'm just plopping my line out into the surf on a random part of the beach and not catching jack dill. Are there certain features to look for such as inlets or rocks or something that would improve my catch?
I'm trying to catch some croaker to chow down on but I'm coming up empty handed. Plz help
>>
File: IMG_20180325_165728.jpg (1.71 MB, 1944x2592)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
Just got back into fishing in 2018 started doing some Bass fishing never caught a Bass and never seen one before until I caught some this year at a level man made lake.
Bought 2 memecasters I bird nest them or when I don't bird nest the casts are less then 7 feet,
Bought a Abu Garcia Black Max 40 Spinning Reel love how smooth it casts
bought some Spiderwire Ultracast Invisi-Braid Superline 15lb reel is on a Abu Garcia Vendette Casting Rod 6'6"

I gotta see if it's possible to have the finger hook on the rod rotated or if I'm stuck having to fish the the eye rings facing up it's a bit un-comfy having the finger hook facing up but it was for a bait caster reel.
>>
>>1249630
>never caught a Bass and never seen
Do you live in some western mountain state or something?
>>
File: geeps.png (10 KB, 261x195)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>1249622
I like you anon, you're the good kind of /out/ anon. Sadly I myself am not a fishie but plenty of other good anons here will come along and help you for sure.
>>
>>1249622
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlF_Hy3kNLY

Sorry for the mobile link, but all his videos on this seem solid. But yeah structure is something fish everywhere like, so look for that.

>>1249630
>Bought a Abu Garcia Black Max 40 Spinning Reel love how smooth it casts
>Abu Garcia Vendette Casting Rod 6'6"

Man you gotta fix that. Depending where you bought the rod you might be able to trade it for a spinning.
>>
File: Merganser Better.jpg (209 KB, 809x548)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>1249622
>try some store bought shrimp.
>try switching to a sliding rig set up
>try using an attractant like pro-cure
>dig in the surf for sand crabs and use for bait
>try chumming to attract fish
>>
>>1249711
That is one kickass fly. Where can I buy one and is it under 15 dollars?
>>
>Getting home from poo in loo after a 3 month trip
>Impulse bought a ton of fishing gear and /k/ patches while I was gone
>Had a friend swing by to pick it up off doorstep
>Get back and check weather
>Still barely over freezing
At least I can wear my shitty offensive patches. It's not fair, I just wanna fish.
>>
>>1249622
Get a couple medium inshore rods. Some cut mullet and bait shrimp on a Carolina rig or rigged with a popping cork is a good start. Saltwater jerk shad plastics, DOA/Vudu shrimp, gulp shrimp, some gold spoons are great for inshore fishing for redfish and speckled trout. I run a spoon rig on one rod and a popping cork with soft plastic shrimp or shad on the other a lot of the time when my 8wt fly rod with a clouser minnow or a rattle fly doesn't produce.
>>
File: image_redirect.jpg (239 KB, 700x515)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>1249622
Use shrimp and cut mullet and fish where the water goes back to the ocean, larger fish sit here and feed on what comes back
>>
>>1249744
One good way to work the beach from the sand is find a trough with a current going left or right. Cast/retrieve out then walk along the direction of the trough. It’s fine if your bait/lure get push by the current as it will move with the direction of your walk. You will eventually hit a spot where the sideway flow stop or change direction and that would be the spot where the watet is flowing out. You’ll likely to get hit while moving along the trough or around at the spot where the sideway current stopped
>>
File: 999__67.jpg (223 KB, 960x960)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>1249716
>under $15
sorry its $20+shipping.
save more aluminum cans up

nigga
>>
File: P3300813.jpg (2.84 MB, 4608x3072)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
how much aquatic livestock have you collected this week /out/?
>>
File: fishstuff.jpg (1.57 MB, 1417x1645)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
I'ma bit jealous of how very light fly fisherman can pack.
>>
File: IMG_1569.jpg (516 KB, 1536x2048)
516 KB
516 KB JPG
>>1249802
>20 dollars for a fly that is not guaranteed to float/land/move properly
That's a big ol' fuck no. I really only trust my own ties when it comes to 'fancy' ones.
>>
>>1249580
artificial metal and unscented soft plastic lures only
>>
File: 466__09.jpg (126 KB, 720x960)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>1249820
>waders
>wading boots
>jacket
>hat
>net

not always bro.
>>
Hey guys crappie is hot in my area what are your go to lures. I'm sick of floating wax worms
>>
>>1249847
>only fly fisherman wear waders and boots
>what is wet wading
>fly fisherman are the only ones who wear hats and jackets
>only fly fisherman use nets

funny thing is I never see old fag fly fishers with nets
>>
File: 6101441.jpg (45 KB, 360x433)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>1249818
I enjoy immensely the capturing of aquatic livestock by means of baited hooks suspended from lines. I have captured and killed more than 500 specimens in the last 24 hours.
>>
>>1249847
never seen a fly fisher here wear any of that shit, seen them wear the vests though
>>
File: 9965-po.jpg (74 KB, 720x960)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1249859
it must not get that cold there..
>>
File: I2EeftSh.jpg (80 KB, 1024x768)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>1249852
1/4 oz X-Rap is a good way to weed out dinks. Hook up ratio isn't great though.
>>
>Be me
>buy memestik GX2
>get memed into buying some jigs instead of nightcrawlers like I originally planned
>try to fish near a small dam
>fuck lose a jig to some downed trees
>move to a designated fishing spot
>fuck up trying the line for the hook
>loose the bait
>cast into a tree
>lose 2 bobbers
>didn't even see a single fish

The only thing that saved me was the fact it was 40F with not a single soul around, otherwise 'I would have died from the ridicule.
>>
>>1249875
are you me? don't feel bad man we've all started somewhere

and learn your knots first man, palomar and improved clinch knot have never lost me a rig since i learned how to tie both
>>
>>1249878
Thanks man.

I've been practicing palomar knots for the past hour so I don't forget again.

I am planning to go out again tomorrow to a different lake. It's going to be pretty cold and rainy. What do fish like crappie and bluegill do during this time? Are they hanging out near shore still? Are they hiding? I don't know anything about fish.
>>
>>1249887
depends on the water temperature, if it's warming up there they'll start venturing out of their little holes in the deeper parts to feed, they're still pretty lethargic here because we haven't got a few good days above 50 yet, prime time for bass, crappie and sunfish here is when the water hits 60+ unless you're on a boat

improved clinch is a good one too, knotless is good if you ever want to run braid for memoryless line to a swivel and use a mono leader for snaggy areas for the abrasion resistance
>>
>>1249887
Little rooster tail/marabou jigs work well. Cold and rainy and your presentation will have to be slow. Jump it along the bottom, pausing to letting it sink then repeat.
>>
Can anyone recommend a good fishing rod for a bugout/SHTF bag?
Ideally it would have to be lightweight and packable.
>>
File: s25886_2000x.jpg (23 KB, 750x450)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1249961
if all you want is a small combo to catch small fish to just sustain yourself probably a shakespeare telescopic wonder pole would be your best bet. it's a bendy stick of carbon, no eye guides, no reel, nothing extra just tie a line to the end and hang a hook with a random bug you found on the end of it and put it in front of fish and you'll probably get a few bluegill. you could also go for tenkara but it's basically the same thing
>>
>>1249961
Any spinning telescopic rod would work. If it was a truly survival situation a yo yo reel would be your best bet for meat
>>
>>1249818
3 Spanish mackerel two about 16 inches and a 23incher
>>
Any Aussies here? Where do you buy all your fishing needs from? Looking to get back in the hobby after 10 years and was looking at rod combos, yet anything that seems decent is at least $150, whereas I can get a GX2 off Amazon with shipping for $95? Any retailers sell for a good price or am I better off buying everything online
>>
Do you make any effort to correct yourself and call it NYLON instead of monofilament (which also include fluorocarbon)?
>>
>>1250055
no because i'm not a know-it-all faggot
>>
>>1250061
Why do you take pride in ignorance?
>>
>>1250077
>being this autistic
>>
>>1250090
>saying things as they are is a mental illness
>>
>>1250121
Except mono has been used to describe nylon monofilament synonymously for a long ass time. You don't have to preface it with nylon. Everybody will know what you're talking about.
>>
File: 20180415_123125.jpg (4.66 MB, 4128x3096)
4.66 MB
4.66 MB JPG
Been out hunting for whitefish whole day with 3 rods, nothing yet but im hoping i will be making fish soup for evening meal.

Someone drowned here just last night because ice is so thin so this might be my last ice fishing trip this year, hear me fishies.
>>
Greetings anons.
I've been getting back into fishing after 2 years of not doing it, but I can't catch jack shit. I live in a suburb north of Miami and I mostly fish freshwater but occasionally I'll make a drive to the beach and fish out there.
I rarely catch and freshwater fish larger than a 2 or 3 pound bass (if I get anything at all), and I mostly use 6 inch rubber worms (Texas rigged or weightless sometimes) or a zoom fluke.
In saltwater I normally have frozen shrimp or squid out off of a pier or in the intercoastal. I haven't caught a fish out of there in like a month. Is it time of day, what I'm using, where I am?
Can any anons help me out?
>>
>>1250222
Don't pier fish. Go the a Jetty. Squid is fine and will catch you some nice rock fish/cod/surf perch
>>
>>1250238
There isn't a cod or rockfish within 500 miles of here but I'll try to find some jetties, thanks.
>>
>>1249820
?
Just do the same thing with spinning: carry less lures.
>>
Built a Lew's baitcaster 2 weeks ago but it's been too shitty outside to even cast it in my back yard. I fucking hate living in the north. The "snow in april" shit can fuck right off
>>
>>1250222
Not gonna give you locations but tips the tides you fish are going to play a factor. High and Incoming tides are good tides to fish as rising water brings fish closer to shore. You tackle also plays a role too, downsizing a hook or using fresher bait works good. If you're just about catching something try a medium rod rigged up with a sabiki and jig it back
>>
It's 35 degrees out, should I even bother trying to fish? I just got back from a trip and I'm dying to get out but I suspect I'll be wasting my time
>>
>>1250281
Where. For what?
>>
>>1249871
dude that's a nice fat crappie. you release that thicc bitch?
>>
>>1250280
I normally use a 1 or 1/0 size hook. Should I go smaller?
>>
>>1250300
in the northeast, hoping for crappie, bass and panfish
>>
File: IMG_1650.jpg (662 KB, 2250x3000)
662 KB
662 KB JPG
>>1249523
Welcome to the Future
>microJerkMinnow weighted

The flyboys crankbait. Gonna slay with this fucker today
>>
>>1250329
Yeah dropping down to a 2 is good. Sometimes the area you fish has a lot of small fish. Try fishing with a sabiki rig tipped with shrimp or spearing. Jig it back.
>>
File: trout.jpg (11 KB, 268x188)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Can any 905 Anons recommend some good places for my dad and i to go fishing? Mostly looking for trout or bass. All the parts of the credit where i am are empty af. Any good lakes or reservoirs out there?

Probably wont be able to go because we have January tier weather rn but w/e.
>>
File: Untitled.png (30 KB, 308x90)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>1250410
>January weather
Existence is torment
>>
>>1250410
rent a paddle boat and hit up lake Ont my dude
>>
File: IMG_20180324_161626.jpg (428 KB, 1352x1014)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
>>1249630
My parents basement I've lived a sheltered life.
>>1249689
Amazon I bought the rod from it's past the returning so stuck with it now.
Have to break out another $40 for a casting rod.

I went out on 7th of April didn't have any luck had a few hit's wasn't able to land them.
Got Sun burnt really good though, was supposed to cloudy till 6 PM ended up having full Sun at 1 PM was fucking boiled lobster red on my arms and face.
>>
>>1249523
Why don't you guise have a rig like me?
>>
>>1249523
Why do I the heart where I don't wanna wish stuff die?
I just can't come to killing anything including fish the thoughts of them suffering before they die just fucks with my mind that I just can't kill fish or anything else for that matter.
>>
>>1249523
flouro really is a meme, just buy Trilene big game
>>
Lads I can’t for the life of me figure out how the hell to fish a Texas rig, jig, or similar. Am I retarded? Are they situational baits? Not once have I caught anything on a jig or shakey head, and I’ve only caught a handful of fish on a T-rig or tube jig.
>>
>>1250484
Is that the penfishingrod.com rod?
>>
>>1250550
Where do you live?
>>
>>1250475
good catch, shave your neckbeard
>>
File: bluegill_05-03-12.jpg (38 KB, 750x583)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
How do I kill bream before cleaning? I was taught to scale and cut them live, but that's always been pretty fucked up to me
>>
>>1250475
what the fuck is that thing around your neck. I see all the youtube meme-fishers wearing those. What the fuck are they.

It's like balaklava but noone ever wears them up higher than their neck.
>>
>>1250588
Put them on ice in a cooler and they suffocate in like 3 mins. It's a fish lol
>>
>>1250588
The only 2 humane ways of dispatching a fish are hitting it in the head really hard to crush its skull, or braining it and stirring it up.

My dad and my uncles all used to clean fish alive, that's how they were taught, so you're not too out of the ordinary.
>>
>>1250589
Cools your neck, I soak mine with water and I stay cool and sunburn free
>>
>>1250588
Friendly reminder that fish do feel pain.
>>
>>1250609
Friendly reminder that it's not like nature is any kinder to fish. Does the eagle kill its meal before feeding it's ravenous young? Does the wolf pack dispatch the Elk before feasting? Does a largemouth knock a bluegill out before swallowing it whole?
>>
>>1250614
>its
fml
>>
File: tech-cuck.jpg (78 KB, 1024x676)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
recommend me some gud line bros
>>
File: IMG_1654.jpg (982 KB, 1200x1600)
982 KB
982 KB JPG
>>1250338
microJerk looked great in the water. Missed two good bass with the second one hitting it hard enough to knock an eye out :(

Caught some good sized panfish though.
>>
File: IMG_1653.jpg (700 KB, 960x1280)
700 KB
700 KB JPG
>>1250627
>>
>>1250588
>>1250594
This, put them on ice for a bit. Won’t spoil and makes them easier to work with when you’re preparing them.

Without the ice they can still have muscle spasms and flap around even after they’ve been dead for a bit.
>>
>Father bought me thousands of dollars of fly fishing gear over the years
>rods, reels, flies, fly crafting stand
>still too much of a brainlet to fly fish
fuck. It's so frustrating dealing with the line and the casting
>>
>>1250635
If you arnt self motivated to want to improve then it’s probably not the hobbie for you
>>
File: IMG_0997.jpg (487 KB, 864x1152)
487 KB
487 KB JPG
>>1250635
Send that shit to me then.
>real talk tho just find a flyshop and pay for some casting classes
Once you get your first big fish on the fly you'll realize why he gave you all that.
>>
>>1250635
It's the most autistic form of fishing
>>
>>1250679
Psh I just bring my reel to the fly shop and they do all that up to the main line. Then I do a perfection loop and since I'm usually targeting bass/panfish I just use 8lb leader and no tippet. I only use tippet when targeting carp/trout.

Though if by 'autistic' you mean 'able to target anything with the same rod/line and use a vast array of lures' then yea.
>>
>>1250578
Pennsylvania. Maybe it’s because I’ve never flipped a bed or that I’m stuck on the bank. I mean, I’ve caught fish on a swim jig but I don’t really count that.
>>
>>1250685
t. autistic
>>
>>1250716
Maybe it doesn't get hot enough for the fish to become super lethargic there? And then in the winter you aren't able to get to the fish that are deep. Most of my fish come from Texas rigs in the summer, but it's also usually 105 degree everyday so.
>>
File: 20180405_191803-1209x1612.jpg (768 KB, 1209x1612)
768 KB
768 KB JPG
>>1250661

>Once you get your first big fish on the fly you'll realize why he gave you all that.

This. Other forms of fishing are just for getting groceries.
>>
I used to idolize fly fishing for being able to throw around super light and small lures, but then I met a fly fisherman and it completely dispelled everything about it. It seems like a very one-trick pony way of fishing.

You could say fly fishing is very autistic about some things, but it's pretty much all the same thing.
>>
>>1250787
10 times the effort for the same fish I can catch while relaxing with a beer bank fishing
>>
>>1250792

Is this a troll mate? How is fly fishing a 'one trick pony' ?
>>
>>1250798

You aren't doing a good job representing gear fishermen.
>>
>>1250801
It's true though. I get the enjoyment people have for fly fishing, but I work as a tree climber for a tree service company. Climbing trees all day while lugging multiple chainsaws around makes me too tired to to to a stream and fly fish. For me my love of fishing is mostly the peacefulness of it. Throwing out some bait and then relaxing enjoying the scenery
>>
>>1250759
Air temps usually hit mid-high 80’s and low 90’s in the dog days. I know plenty of people who smack bass all day on T-rigs and jigs but I can’t seem to figure it out. Like I don’t even think anything picks up my plastics. I’ve tried dragging, stroking, hopping, shaking, you name it. Nothing works except when I T-rig a grub or paddletail and swim it through the water column. Sometimes I think I’m too impatient but then again I fished a jerkbait all winter when there wasn’t ice. I caught fish then. Can’t figure it out. Maybe I’ll leave bottom baits to others and fish T-rigs only when flipping beds/docks
>>
>>1250819
>Sometimes I think I’m too impatient
This is probably it honestly. If you watch videos of bass looking to eat a craw or something they'll sit there and look at it for 15 seconds sometimes. It's almost impossible to go to slow when fishing a t rig.

But if you aren't fishing some type of cover and it's just basically open banks though, I'd probably stick to the stuff that works.

I also don't normally have luck fishing with a jig, but my goal this year is to get good at it. That's why I've been fishing with one pretty much exclusively lately.
>>
>>1250800
wet flies or dry flies. that's all there's to it. there's a lot of variety within, but essentially all the same. it's difficult to explain
>>
>>1250867
If this isn’t a troll all you are doing is proving how little you know about fly fishing

>difficult to explain
Lol I’d imagine so cause you don’t got a clue
>>
best way to spend your time when the power in your town gets knocked out is tyin dries
>>
File: 0130181603_1_1.gif (1.28 MB, 496x368)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB GIF
>>1251000
>>1250800
>>1250627
Do you fly fags pretie your leader and tippet and stuff? I usually spend an entire hour total tying line to shit. What would I keep it on? An empty spool?
>>
File: IMG_20180416_154047.jpg (4.21 MB, 3456x4608)
4.21 MB
4.21 MB JPG
Finally caught my first fish this year, also its my first fish on a fly ive tied myself.
>>
>>1250850
>But if you aren't fishing some type of cover and it's just basically open banks though, I'd probably stick to the stuff that works

That might explain it. I use them as searchbaits mostly. No wonder
>>
Anyone make their own plastics/baits?

Been looking for a way to make some extra money lately and I have been considering making baits. Soft plastics look extremely simple to make and spinner baits are essentially just Lego pieces. I'm not sure about making proper hard body lures such as crank baits and similar, I have a mini lathe and basically all the equipment I will need, but for the amount of time it would take to make one im not sure that the money is there.
>>
Anyone have recommendations on a trolling motor for a small john boat? Bass pro sells one for $100 but I'm assuming its a piece of shit
>>
>>1251157
I use a basic Minn Kota $100 for my little small-water boat, it does the job just fine. Assuming it's the same one.
>>
File: IMG_1597.jpg (2.41 MB, 4032x3024)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>1250867
See the above thread m8. I see a crappie, large redear, and decent bullhead all caught on a flyrod all prob with diff flies. Maybe you just need to getgud.
>>
File: IMG_20180404_164554.jpg (317 KB, 804x1072)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
>>1249871
Based X-Rap user
>>
>>1249852
F-3 Original Floating rap gets me crappie with I bump it off logs near shore
>>
>>1250055
No. It’s labeled as mono im calling it mono.
>>
>>1250333
I was catching bass in a small pond in sub freezing weather, but it was almost never fished so they weren’t pressured at all. Might be worth a shot
>>
>>1251172
based tatula user
>>
>>1250589
I have no idea what the real name is I call them a fishing mask if you check Amazon for fishing mask you will find them Walmart sells them as well.
Put a hat on and some glasses that help see in the water a bit keeps you from getting too hot. Keep your head and neck cool less chance of getting heat stroke.
>>
>>1249523
Whats the /out/ approved way of throwing a cast net? Mine is 6ft.
>>
>>1251252
You look like a fucking creep
>>
>>1251201
Tatulas are so fucking good I have four of them
>>
>>1251161
how long does it hold a charge? can you go on major rivers/lakes with it?
>>
>>1251291
Say's the beta male pussi that won't show his face.
>>
File: 0uglwlaix9s01.jpg (1.4 MB, 3024x4032)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>
>>1251291
good thing noone cares about if you look like a creep or not when its 100f outside and the sun is blaring on your face in the middle of nowhere on the water. :~)
>>
>>1251292
I think Daiwa is the only major brand I don't have a reel from. They're next on the list though I think.
>>
>>1251357
>fish
>tits
>nice body
Damn, perfect woman

>tattoo
>pic related
>>
Give us a general location and advice will be easier to give. I don't know where you live (it sounds like East Coast, I'm guessing) but there has got to be a saltwater pier near you. If there is, go there. Get some fresh (dead) shrimp, mullet, and squid from a bait shop.

If you just want croakers, get the smallest circle hook possible and put a small piece of shrimp on there. Use whatever rig you want, look up a Carolina rig. You can buy them in-store already done. I guarantee you will get something hooked up.

Squid can work better because they can't tear it off/pick it apart as easily as shrimp.

If you want some bigger fish (you might need a bigger rod, maybe not), buy some FRESH dead mullet and cut the head off and put it on like a 6/0 circle hook on whatever rig.
Soak that sucker while going after other (smaller) fish, if there's some redfish or black drum in the area you will hook into them. Also chance of getting into a shark but hey they're fun too.
>>
>>1251397
meant to reply to this anon >>1249622
>>
>>1251342
You are literally hiding 3/4 of your face and you still look like a child molester / school shooter.
>>
>>1251252
>>1250589
It's called a buff
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/uv-buff-headwear
Use it to prevent skin cancer
>>
>>1251291
No one cares when it's hot as balls, it's basically a bandana
>>
>>1251389
Diawa and Shimano are the only major brands you SHOULD have a reel from.
>>
>>1251400
What a shame I'm not in school and can't see your face you'd be the only I'd wanna shot, but first I'd rather watch piss yourself as you begged for your life.
As for child molester takes one to know one brah!
>>
>>1251412
That would be boring though
>>
>>1251393
Same, except it was the spinning reel that did it for me
>>
>launch my boat
>get out on the lake
>see a nigger
Day fucking ruined
>>
File: 1523829410879.jpg (29 KB, 464x500)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1251528
>out throwing spoons
>band of apes throw bottles into the lake
>>
Yo my dudes, fishing newfriend here i want to start fly Fishing last time i fished was three years ago. im curious one Thing, why are the reels So fucking extensive? i mean its only Aluminium and the prices reach from 300-1000. i found some chinese reels on Amazon, can anyone tell me if the chinese stuff is worth it?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B01MRUB4CU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1523917356&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=511sg8G0AdL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1
https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B01MSVZAIG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1523918920&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=maxcatch+fliegenrolle&psc=1

thanks in advance
>>
>>1251560
if you look around and find real reviews some of those Chinese reels work fine in smaller size applications. The more expensive reels will be individually CNC'd and have higher quality components. Bigger salt reels will be built like a tank and have sealed drags capable of handling giants. Like everything though it reaches a point where it obvious the person buying a $1000+ fly reel is doing it because they have more money than they know what to do with. Once you get up there you are in the realm comparable to watch making how much autism can go into designing and aesthetics
>>
>>1251560

Get a ross eddy, ross rapid or redington behemoth (listed form cheapest to most expensive, the behemoth being the priciest at only 100 bucks).

Also get an Echo base rod in whatever weight line you think you will use most, or just get a 7 weight is what I would recommend.

If you can afford it then a redington behemoth + echo base + some backing +a good line will not be a compromise to 'just have to see if I like fly fishing and then get a better setup' at all; this isn't just an 'entry level' setup; it's an inexpensive setup that performs FAR above it's price-point (about $250).
>>
>>1251571

Damn I guess they don't make the Ross eddy or rapid anymore? Well you can a Rapid new on ebay for 50 bucks so still a good option.
>>
>>1251567
>>1251571
thanks for the fast replys i will Check it out. i am a all in guy i aint going to compromise if i want to try something im doing it without second thougt Or remorse
>>
>>1251571
>>1251567
one more question, are you a shill? i mean i Cant even trust amazon Reviews
>>
File: rosrapid.jpg (649 KB, 2049x2732)
649 KB
649 KB JPG
>>1251583
>>1251583

Why would I be shilling for three different companies dude?

Still walked out to my car to take a few pics to show you I'm not just making crap up though, haha.

Here is an Echo Base 7 Weight with a Ross Rapid, dacron backing (not sure what brand, doesn't matter), Scientific Anglers Saltwater Mastery line, and (currently) a Rio 20 lbs saltwater leader.

Also those fly boxes underneath are the only fly boxes you'll need (except for holding gigantic streamers in which case people usually say the Cliff beast boxes are the best for that), but they are sorta pricey. They are called Tacky Boxes
>>
>>1251583
you are on anonymous image board, on probably the most least popular section. no shills roam here.
>>
File: echobase.jpg (642 KB, 1983x2644)
642 KB
642 KB JPG
>>1251589
>>
>>1251589
OK kind sir, thank you. i will check it out
>>
File: fishjihad.jpg (971 KB, 1944x2592)
971 KB
971 KB JPG
>>1251593

And I dunked that reel in this salty water while on fish jihad and just shoved the whole thing back in my trunk, fished with it again no problem (have done this multiple times, do spray it down sometimes though when I feel like it).
>>
>>1251560
300-1000 lol. Get a cabelas prestige ll reel from cabelas.com for 60 bucks. With flyfishing it's more about the rod anyways. Cabelas makes great entry level combos but if you're just looking for a solid rod with great feel I'd recommend a St Croix rio santo 9ft 6wt.
>>
If you guys are catching dinks on artificial, and know their are bigger fish in the area is it a somewhat reasonable idea to start casting out bigger lures?
>>
File: bugger.jpg (418 KB, 1983x2644)
418 KB
418 KB JPG
>>1251623

I wouldn't unless you are just going for trophy sized fishies and even in that case you will be missing loads of big guys; but the ones that finally bite will be huge (theoretically). And I mean very large sized flies/lures/whatever. For you gear guys I am talking big 'ol swimbait sized stuff. I don't really even believe this very much but I know it's a strategy that gear fishers use and stuff so there is probably something to it. I just know that big bass eat small things.

I would just keep exploring with the same baits if you are in a bite man. Pic related, very small wooly bugger in the lip of my PB.

Think of it this way as well: when you are in a situation were something is working you know that it is probably imitating something that exists at the moment in the ecosystem or at least is tricking the bass into thinking that; the big bass and little bass both are going to be looking for whatever that thing is that is the current 'hatch'.
>>
File: image.jpg (3.49 MB, 2303x4096)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
>>1251633
>Think of it this way as well: when you are in a situation were something is working you know that it is probably imitating something that exists at the moment in the ecosystem or at least is tricking the bass into thinking that; the big bass and little bass both are going to be looking for whatever that thing is that is the current 'hatch'.

This is true, but big bass, especially when it's really hot will be looking for one big easy meal. Of course if you can get a small lure in their face they'll probably eat it, but they probably won't chase it.

This goes totally out the window during prespawn/fall feeding though
>>
>>1251650
Just my luck the weekend my fishing buddies go to Inls lake is after a cold front. We could not get shit to bite.
>>
>>1251691
*Inks Lake.
>>
>>1251691
I swear theres been a cold front every weekend up here for the past 2 months
>>
>>1251591
They do but they post their jewtube channel then leave.
>>
How long a leader do you guys use? Growing up my leader has only ever been about a foot and a half or so (live in a river town with nothin but snags and carp, but if you're REALLY lucky you can catch some native fish) but I was reading people use a leader up to 3 times the length of their rod? I don't know if I like a knot going through the eyes on my rod, is this an issue at all? I usually use a swivel out of convenience but I use a double uni to connect two lines, is that a good size?
>>
>>1251707

For what kind of line? I know you aren't talking about fly fishing but I'll still say what I use: Usually a 9 or 10 foot tapered leader and then I will either tie my fly directly to that or add a few feet of tippet depending; once the leader gets bellow 8 feet or so I will always use tippet, again length depending on targeted species and general feel for the situation; often changing multiple times during a day (both length and weight of tippet material).
>>
today was the last straw. from now on, spinners are banned from my tackle box. Even using ball bearing swivels doesn't help because my line is too light and limp. I suspect swivels only works on heavy and stiff lines. It's kind of a shame because I caught most of my first fishos on spinners
>>
>>1251723
Oh my bad, it's just bottom bait fishing, I don't think theres anywhere to even fly fish in my state unfortunately cause I've always wanted to. I was thinking of using braid and using fluro/mono as the leader cause I also been looking at starting salt water fishing off some jettys and then maybe surf
>>
>>1251733

> I don't think theres anywhere to even fly fish in my state

This seems to be one of the biggest misconception about fly fishing of all time. There is no such thing as 'a place to fly fish'. The places to fly fish are the exact same places you fish right now. What state are you in?
>>
>>1251738
South Australia, and like I said I don't actually know
>>
>>1251742

Well there is a 100% possibility of fly fishing if you are already doing any other type of fishing so if you want to give it a shot go for it. It's fun :)
>>
>>1251090
Depends on what you're fishing for. You only really need tippet&leader for targeting finicky fish like carp/trout. I'm not in trout/carp area so I usually just go Backing>Fly Line ending in a Perfection Loop>tie on 8.5-9.5ft of mono tippet and put a hook on. I usually use 7-10lb Rio tippet.

However, if you are really fucking lazy and/or have money you can just buy tapered leaders where the 10-12lb leader thins down into a tiny lil tippet while maintaining strength. Scientific Anglers makes good shit in that respect. Yall make this too hard - I haven't even changed my main line in like 3 years and basically just buy different weight tippet.
>>
>>1250803
The rhythmic motion of double hauling into a long cast with a flyrod is sex. Does it take more finesse and skill? Yes. But with that comes the ability to catch most anything anytime...even out performing live bait/traditional lures. Flyrods excel in pressured waters or when a hyper-realistic motion is needed to invite a strike.
>>
>>1251751
>However, if you are really fucking lazy and/or have money

Dude, 3 tapered leaders costs like 10 bucks and last a very long time if you aren't constantly getting 'wind' knots. One can last an entire season if you want to use perfection loops + loop to loop for tippet which I sure don't so sometimes it lasts not as long since I am clipping it and retying double surgeon knots for tippet.

So you are right that it is more money then just using straight mono but compared to the crap people spend their money on it's not thaaaaaat much money to get some tapered leaders.
>>
>>1250803

Well you didn't say that, you implied that what you like is catching big fish with minimal effort with your first response.

But anyways, you could always just rig up some nymphs and an '''indicator''' aka: bobber and sit back and relax and enjoy the show the same way.
>>
How the hell am I supposed to tie knots with leaders and tippets? The line is way to thin.
>>
>>1251776

What knots are you trying to tie? Double surgeon for leader -> tippet and then improved clinch for the tippet -> fly?
>>
>>1251769
Idk I change flies prob 5-6 times every time I go out and I swap it when it gets shorter than 7 3/4 ft or so. A spool of 10lb Orvis tippet will last twice as long for me.
>>
File: cdc_seed.jpg (33 KB, 1024x786)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>1251776
I just go Perfection Loop to Clinch Knot.
Best video on tying Perfection Loops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hZkVk6yqnQ
>>
File: improved_clinch_knot.jpg (57 KB, 728x624)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1251804
>>
>>1251412
>not 13 Fishing
>not Abu Garcia
>not Flooger

Absolute retard

>>1251516
Kek
>>
What do you guys wear when fishing, I'm thinking of picking up some long sleve pfg shirts since they're $15 at academy rn
>>
>>1251823
He's all stuck on the JDM meme.

Although, I've never seen a pfluger casting reel I've liked.

>>1251825
Get some. I wear those or the Magellan brand ones when it's sunny out. They protect you from the sun really well and keep you cool if there's a breeze.
>>
>>1251823
>abu "made in the same chinese factory as piscifun reels" garcia
>>
>>1251825
Clothes? what kind of question is this? I go fishing in whatever I decided to wear that day. The only accessory I add is my hat for fishing.
>>
File: he sure took the bait.gif (1.37 MB, 359x202)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>>1251823
>getting memed this hard
Good luck fishing from the bank with your chinkshit, kid
>>
what lure for pike, in shallow water with lots of twigs at the bottom. i'd like not to get stuck all the time.
i'm thinking a rubber frog but i'd still prefer something that swims under the surface.
>>
>>1251856
>>1252063
>China and Korea are the same thing
>>
>>1252067
>China and Korea
>not japan

Who cares. If japs didn’t build it we don’t want it. There is a reason they are far in a way the world leader in precision made fishing tackle. Chinese and Korean manufacturers are trying there best to replicate what they are making. They never innovate or make something new, only play catch up or make shittier copy cat versions.

Whether you think those chinkshit reels are good enough for your personal use or not is up to you, but from a technical standpoint, they are almost never as good
>>
File: 1510294643726.png (4 KB, 211x239)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>1252127
>far in a way
>>
>>1252141
>>
>>1252127
>technical standpoint, they are almost never as good
Sure if you're buying metaniums. Under that you won't notice any difference in the various price ranges. The Curado might be the exception.
>>
>>1252146
>implying that was a typo
>implying that isn't exactly what you meant to type because you're a retard and don't know how words work
>>
>>1251650
how is that chronarch with flouro? also what line? i was looking at getting a chronarch for this season
>>
>>1249546
Ohioan detected. Any tips for fly fishing spots? Just moved there to Youngstown if you are
>>
>>1251186
Well, it's 47 and not pouring rain, wish me luck!
>>
File: 980x.jpg (71 KB, 980x540)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>1251650
stupid fucking nigger if you're catching and releasing don't put the damn fish on the ground you dumbass.
>>
>>1252149
You will with longevity. 10 years down the road your Curado or Tatula will shit all over an Abu or Quantum.
>>
>>1251804
Can you explain why he wouldnt just use the prewelded loop on the line instead of cutting it off?
>>
File: IMG_1594.jpg (2.81 MB, 4032x3024)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>1252239
My line didn't come with a loop on it bc cabelas had pre-spooled the backing and flyline. But yea if you have a premade loop on the flulike that's cool. Perfection loop still very useful to learn IMO
>>
What is everyone preferred braid to leader knot?
Its for a bait caster with 50lbs braid and 15-17lbs mono/flouro

I tied a blood knot and it seems pretty strong, also how long of a leader should I use, specifically for pitching jigs?
>>
>>1252251
>premade loop on the flyline that's cool*
>>
>>1252251
I meant 'he' as in the guy in the video, he said he would cut off the prewelded ones, but then he goes on to tie another loop. Whats the difference?
>>
>>1252255
Idk maybe he trusts the perfection loop more. It's kinda like a clinch in the sense that the more pull on the loop the 'stronger' the knot becomes.
>>
File: IMG_20180417_221542.jpg (2.37 MB, 4608x3456)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
>>1252257
Ah alright. Nice worm by the way, I think ive seen it before in here.
>>
>>1252162
I like it a lot. 17 pound P-Line is what's on it.

>>1252219
Bruh it's a bass. It'll be fine.

>>1252227
Very well could be true. I haven't had nice reels that long. I think it'll be interesting to see if the newer generations of reels across the brands start holding up like the old shimanos.

>>1252252
FG knot
>>
>>1252350
do you find that it has alot of memory? any flouro ive tried has gotten thrown out because of birdsnests and backlashing
>>
File: IMG_1596.jpg (1.57 MB, 4032x3024)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>1252261
Thanks, I've been trying to tie worms similar to the local ones. Yours look pretty good too. Honestly I might try using a brown shoelace instead of chenille since the worm flies get torn up with a few strikes/catches.
>>
>>1252389
It has about as much memory as every other flouro I've used. I don't ever have problems with backlash unless I'm trying to throw something too light into the wind. What # test were you using? Flouro requires more thumb control and it gets worse the lighter you go on casting reels.
>>
File: leaders.jpg (1.26 MB, 1944x2592)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>1251090
i sit down for an evening and crank out leaders, then for storraige i cut a sheet of paper in half, label it with the leader information (say for example 2x 9 foot) and then tuck it in my bag
>pic related, one of my hard mono leaders i tied for striper (it was the nearest to me)
also
>an hour
>tying one leader
you need to work on your knots. it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for a leader and more like 5 when you get good and rolling on them
>perfection loop
that should be 20 seconds to tie, honestly
>3-5 blood knots depending on how autistic you are
30 seconds for each of them realistically when you do the tooth pick trick
>fly
literally a minute to pick out a fly and tie it on

>>1251116
solid
>>1251696
unless it's me just shilling the fly meme
>>1251804
cottonwood seed fly? looks solid. you tie it or. . .?
>>1252239
some lines dont come with a welded loop and a lot of the tarpon guys i've met have said they dont trust factory welded loops and they either use the tried-and-true nail knot or make their own loop so they know exactly what went in to each loop (i also have met a few trout guys who broke welded loops on cheaper lines)
bottom line: some lines dont have loops and a lot of people dont trust the loops regardless
>>
Going for browns tomorrow.

Tying some fresh ones now
>>
>>1252450
It's not that it takes an hour to tie one knot, but when I go fishing all day probably one hour total tying leader to tippet or to flies when I break off on a bush or a snag or when I get a birds nest. The paper is a good idea, I'll have to try that out. I usually do five feet of regular mono for a leader and 4-5 feet of tippet. Should my leaders be longer and tippet shorter? I usually run dropper rigs. I usually connect with a double surgeon's knot, and that's kinda quick in broad day and when its warm, but in low light or when my hands are even a tiny bit cold, it takes a long time.
>>
>>1252185
Good luck
>>
File: 500-3.jpg (12 KB, 500x500)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
probably a dumb question, but do these kinds of jig heads lay horizontally in the water or are they too tail-heavy for that?
>>
>>1252467
Depends how heavy they are and what kind of bait. If you put a grub or something on there and reel at a steady speed, it will stay horizontal. But it will nosedive as soon as you stop reeling.
>>
>>1252456
i usually try to taper it some but i'm autistic. i also almost never tie the same leader again but the basic formula i follow is
>40% butt
>30% mid section
>30% tippet
so usually i tie a 7-9 foot leader, which means the first 3-4 feet of my leader is 20%, then i'll have a length of 15, a length of 10, and sometimes a length of 6 pound test if im getting really light on the tippet end

personally if i was tasked with creating a general purpose trout leader i would do
>3.5 feet of 20
>18 inches of 15
>24 inches of 10
>24 inches of 3x tippet
that is basically a leader that i could fish as is for terrestrials and big dries, big wet flies (like #14 and bigger) and most streamers, then if i wanted to fish smaller flies i could hang lighter tippet off of it.
honestly i see a leader as a non-static thing, and it is to be modified and tweaked all through the day. maybe you see a spot that looks fishy and you want to put a dry fly through it, but it's got a lot of weird current so you want your leader to land with a lot of slack, so to fish the run you lengthen your mid section and tippet to get a better drift at the cost of a little accuracy. or you see a big fish hiding under an overhanging tree so you tighten your leader up, make it more agressive and accurate at the cost of finesse, so you slap a hopper in front of him so it looks like it fell from a tree.
but i find the leader i just described to be a happy medium between those two extremes
>>1252467
usually somewhere around a 45 degree angle in my experience unless you slide the knot to the back edge of the hook eye, but you get more action letting it hang at a 45 with a loop knot.
>>
Going for YFT in the bahamas this weekend, any tips or advice?
>>
>>1252482
Bleed and ice them immediately for best taste
>>
>>1252469
it's a 1/124 oz jighead (size 10 hook), was thinking about putting one of those tiny 1" gulp alive worms on it and just let it drift around under a small float. but I was thinking the presentation would suffer if it wasnt horizontal
>>
>>1252512
no if you have a loop knot then any little ripples in the waters surface will jig it vertically and subtly for you
>>
>>1252512
try trout magnet or trout magnet jigheads
>>
>>1252541
Test
>>
>found a shop that sells everything i want
>they don't ship to north america

aaaaah
>>
Any of you like pole fishing? I need advise in what size should be the lines. I see people using extremely thin lines and tiny hooks. I fish mullets in a river, and they fight hard and are usually like 2 or 3 kg and size 12 hooks.
>>
>>1252414
If youre interested you can try this pattern. They will last ages since at the core of the fly is essentially 4 strands of braided line (2 dubbing loops spun into each other). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKXC76LdRt0
Ive tied it with monofilament too, but it ruins the free movement a bit.
>>
Bought a cheap baitcaster from Big W today for $50, never used one before so didn't wanna spend big. Used it for 4 hours today and didn't get a birds nest once. Fish weren't biting either, but it was a good day learning to use a new rod. Fun way to fish
>>
is a class 7 rod and reel a good allrounder even for smaller fish?
>>
>>1250055
You're probably that autist calling salt "sodium chloride" when eating alone at apple bees
>>
Been trying for about an hour now, no luck. What's my best bet for heavy current and muddy water? Minnow plugs, 1/12 oz Kastmasters and even Mepps^tm have turned up nothing.
On an unrelated note why dont rod manufacturers put a little colored indicator on the ends of multi piece rods so you can line them up and be sure the guides are perfectly aligned?
>>
>>1252812
Something highly visible might work better.

A lot of manufacturers actually do. I ahve a rod with dots you align when piecing it together.
>>
>>1252812
>On an unrelated note why dont rod manufacturers put a little colored indicator on the ends of multi piece rods so you can line them up and be sure the guides are perfectly aligned?
Just look down the rod through the eyes like eveyone else.
>>
File: IMG_20180417_152212.jpg (2.28 MB, 2400x3200)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
So I decided to try out a month of LTB, and it was alright I guess. not really that great. But one of the things was this gigantic 18 dollar saltwater motherfucker right here. Now I live in Central Wisconsin and can't think of any species around here that would eat it. What should I do with it?? I can't give it to any friends, because they couldn't use it either
>>
>>1252812
Bc they're assholes. Flyrod manufacturers are the worst offenders bc no one has a 9ft trunk. I used a sharpie to make dots on a $150 dollar rod.
>>
>>1252843
I'm pretty sure a pike or even a big bass would eat that
>>
>>1252843
> that lure
> big
Unless you have giant hand, it looks like 5 inches at most
>>
It's finally warm enough to fish

>Just ordered 10 50lb bags of corn

Who here ready for tench and carp? Usa fag btw trout and bass fags can sip my carps turbid water
>>
>>1252881
What do you do with the carp you catch?
>>
>>1252893
Release them.

Occasionally keep one to use as cutbait, but 99% released.
>>
Fished for about 3 hours total. Hooked 3 fish, landed one. Water was still stupid high so I’m content. Also first trout or any fish in general on a fly I’ve tied. Took the size 16 prince with the “robin” wet hackle collar. Barbless hook came right out this little guy as soon as I scooped him up with the net.
>>
>>1252843
>gigantic
Nigga I throw X-Raps and Vision 110 Magnums that are bigger than that, and you'd be amazed at the amount of dinks that will hit them. Use it, that lure is basically standard size for a jerkbait.
>>
>>1252902
Kill them you pleb.
>>
>>1252935
Unless you're in a part of the world that they're native too of course.
>>
File: IMG_20180418_1634432.jpg (2.15 MB, 1556x2074)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>1252905
Pretty fish, how big do they usually get where youre fishing?

Caught 11 today and lost a few more, these two were the only sizable enough to keep.
>>
>>1252935
>Kill them

>Thinking sport fishing can even make a dent in carp populations with how fecund they are.
>At most you just decrease the average size
>Killing fish you enjoy catching.

The absolute state of terminal and superior mouthed fish supporters.
>>
>Chumming law didn't pass in my state

JUST
>>
>>1252957
I honestly couldn't tell you. Im a complete noob. The one I lost while trying to lift in the net was a little bit bigger than the pic I posted above. The biggest one I caught last summer was like 16-17in. Not sure if thats a "big" one for that creek but it was the biggest so far Ive seen

The good thing is the warm weather is finally here. Forecasting mid 60s all of next week. Going to make for a lot more relaxing time on the streams j
>>
>Go back to childhood mudhole
>See they cleaned up the footpaths
>Layed down gravel
>Cut down the stands of cattails for a deck over the water
>Dredged a bunch of garbage out of the lake and left it
>All the while the shithile probably got shallower with the buildup of shit on the bottom
>You could probably walk across the lake if you didnt sink into 10 foot deep mire
>Look up and see a 2 oz pyramid sinker in the tree
I'm fucking livid why couldnt they leave the paths and woods alone how is this ok? I'm gonna build a killdozer, see you guys on the news
>>
>>1252964
I killed them all in one of my ponds. It can be done with flyrod/Cast net and effort. They can be fun to catch but fuckem not native.
>>
>>1252970
Sounds good, Ive got some rain coming up next week, but I dont really mind it if the trouts are biting.
>>
>the weekend was in the 70s
>the last two days it snowed
>it's almost 50 today
>supposed to snow tomorrow
i hate spring weather. though a friend of mine is having a birthday and he lives two blocks away from a little creek and is letting me spend the weekend so i might be able to harass some creek chubs and such with my 2 weight
>>1252905
looks like a nice little brown, maybe a little washed out. i'd be happy with that personally!
>>
File: image.jpg (433 KB, 720x1280)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
Caught my first fish on the concept z
>>
Boys I was thinking today that if I was to give some of you new fellahs one tip that would guarantee more fish, or ANY fish if you haven't caught any:

Don't think you have to cast waaaayyyy out all the time; in fact when you show up to a spot you should be casting parallel to the bank first thing, trying to fish the droppoff, or where the food is, etc.

I notice this a shit load since I am a fly fisher so my angles of attack are very different from gear fishermen on ponds and stuff; often I will catch things while the folks slinging 'deep' (you can't even be sure it is deep out there in a pond) don't catch anything. Of course these are often times just casual folks, or new fishers and more then once they've asked me for advice after they see me yoink a few fishies (I don't really offer unsolicited advice because that's definitely a dick move almost all of the time) and that's what I tell them. Also be a bit sneaky when moving around and actually look at the water before you start casting and try to spy fish, activity, etc.

tl;dr: You new guys need to be casting parallel to the bank.
>>
>>1252993
>Being excited about creekchub fishing
Ohioan detected
>>
>>1253185
Good one
>>
>14 dollar shipping for a 2 dollar item from britain

So this is what it feels like to be australian, huh.
>>
I've got a float tube I occasionally fish from, but in high winds that shit is killer on the legs kicking back to shore.

I'm really thinking about selling it and getting an inflatable fishing kayak. I live in an apartment so something compact like like an inflatable is up my ally.

Anyone own or have experience with an inflatable fishing kayak? What do you think about it? Recommendations for a good one?

Thanks.
>>
>>1252964
my country is planning to release a strain of herpes that kills off carp into our rivers
>>
>>1253185
solid crappie m8. how's the 3 wt coming?
>>1253192
it's common knowledge that i'm in ohio. creek chubs are a lot of fun when you find big ones, use a 2 weight, and pretend they're brookies.
>>
File: kakuvoodoo.jpg (81 KB, 825x500)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>1253218

Let me introduce you, and everyone else to the Kaku Voodoo. I'm getting one soon. Not sure why I would even consider anything else when it's literally the perfect kayak-type-fishing-platform and about a fourth the price of other platforms that are covered in shit to get tangled on and still are not even remotely as stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6qIRd5T7o

I have no idea how I never ever saw Kaku come up in my research but I am very glad they did eventually (maybe because they are a semi-local type company). I am assuming you are in the same boat with your research so here ya go; now you know it exists at least.
>>
>>1253218

Woops, I see you meant inflatable only. Got ahead of myself, sorry about that. Maybe someone else will be interested.
>>
File: flycraft.jpg (197 KB, 1001x995)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>1253250

Buuut since I am non-paid-shilling for things I like right now this is what I would get for an inflatable. Friggin' excruciatingly priced though, hah. Packs down small enough to fit in a regular car trunk.

https://www.flycraftusa.com
>>
>>1253248
this has my interest
previously i was looking at a boss 12 ss, almost completely decided on it
>>
File: IMAG1179.jpg (3.01 MB, 4032x3024)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
I haven't posted here in awhile.

Check this out. my first day with my rod and reel combo. (multiple pictures. Last post with details.)
>>
File: IMAG1180.jpg (2.37 MB, 4032x3024)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
>>1253262
>>
>>1253203
It's too bad it was on a MH rod lol. Would've been great on light tackle.

>>1253248
Kinda want. I wonder how tracking/speed is though.
>>
File: IMAG1181.jpg (3.4 MB, 4032x3024)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
>>1253264

Berkley cherrywood 5' ultralight.

4lb crappie maxx super vis.

On a micro lite elite spinning reel. (MEXO5F)

with a 1/8 weight "Bass Pro Shops Tournament Series Micro Spin Lures" in the brown trout color.

Water clear down to 5 feet or so. Blue green color.

Crappie, bluegill, Bass.

I honestly had so much fun with this rod and reel combo. I was easily tossing 50 yards with the above described combo. That was into the wind for most of it too!

Super excited to use it again.
>>
File: IMAG1176-2419x3225.jpg (2.17 MB, 2419x3225)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
>>1253274
>the only issue with this setup.

Hook sets are hard, especially on these big bluegill and crappie with super tough mouths.
>>
>>1253278
>Hook sets are hard
only guess i have for helping with that is sharpening your hooks.
>>
>>1253284
Only with these big monster pan fish and Bass. The rods just so flexie. The spinner I was using above was brand new and super sharp. An the other hooks I was using where also new.

IDK what I'm gonna do with my other micro reel I have now. It's brand new and barely used. Was a 30dollar or so reel.

Wonder if anyone here would be interested in it? It's currently lost atm on my work bench I believe.
>>
How do I catch bigger fish, I've been fishing my entire life and all I ever catch freshwater is tiny fish. My PB freshwater is like 2 lbs. I catch plenty if smaller ones just can't get anything big
>>
So is there really an issue with storing soft plastics in a Plano box now days? Some people swear it's a terrible idea, but I like to keep a few of each of my most used stuff in a super small pack for lazy days and really don't like lugging around or swapping out a bunch of Ziploc baggies of shit
>>
>>1253297
My friend says his stays soft. I've only started to do this.

However I have bought 20 year old soft plastics in their original baggies still soft as the day they where made. So. For super long term? Keep them in your bag.
>>
>>1253297
Some soft plastic will stick to each other and also stain their colors to another plastic nearby. I find that berkley powerbait is one of the worst when it comes to staining.
>>
>>1253291
Some waters just don't support larger fish.

It also really depends what you are targeting and where you live.
>>
>>1253297
It depends on the lure and what it's made with. Like all zoom stuff in one box is probably okay, but don't put a zman plastic in with your zooms. Color bleed is really only a problem with really light and really dark plastics together.
>>
>>1253335
So should different brands be fine if they're in separate compartments in the same box? Would the the combination of 5 different "secret scents" and attractants in the same box fuck with each other?
>>
>>1253338
I don't think the scents matter as much as what the plastic is actually made out of. Like I said zman + zoom (or similar) will get you melted plastics. It's even possible in separate compartments if it gets hot enough where you live. (I don't think it's super likely, but it could happen). Also, the plastic that the box is made out of may not like the lures that are made of the non standard plastics.

Pay attention to chartreuse colors too, because those will bleed over for sure if they get hot enough. You won't get melted lures but you might get some interesting colors.

I think your major brands like zoom, yum, strike King, ect should all be fine in the same box.
>>
>>1253349
Cool. Thanks, my dude.
>>
File: image.jpg (232 KB, 720x1280)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>1253351
For sure. I keep most of my plastics in the bags so I'm not an expert on this or anything. Just observations from leaving all my lures in my car in 100 degree heat kek. There might be another anon who does put all his plastics in a box that doesn't have any issues.
>>
Tried to go fishing for the first time but I didn’t have bobbers or weight so I just stuck some clay on the line hoping it would at least cast, it it didn’t really help at all. Then when I tried to reel back in the line started falling off the spool and shit got us-er tangled up. I turn around and some old guy is staring me down with sort of a disgusted and confused look on his face. I’m pretty embarrassed.
When I got back home and tried to deal with the line I found out my reel is just spinning the line instead of pulling it in.
Anyway, is it reasonable to try fishing from the beach without stepping in the water? There was also a really high up dock and I wasn’t sure if that’s something I should’ve tried fishing off of either.
>>
>>1253372
everyone's gotta start somewhere. try a fishing at a pier. bring a chair, some snacks, put some bits of shrimp on a hook and wait for a dumb mackerel to get hooked
>>
>>1253372
A beach with good deep structure close by is easily fishable at low tide without even getting your feet wet. You just need the right set up. Even at high tide, you might get splash with a few ankle to knee deep incoming wave but can mostly stay out of water
>>
File: zebco33.jpg (16 KB, 355x355)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1253372
>my reel is just spinning the line instead of pulling it in

first off, i'm assuming you're on a spincast reel like pic related

if that assumption is correct the problem you described could be one of three things

1: you crank the handle, and it makes almost a buzzing sound, but isn't actually reeling in the line
if that's the case something is up with your drag, either it's too low and it's a simple matter of tightening it, or it could be broken and it's fucked, but i doubt this is the problem you're having, and option 2 &3 are more likely to help you

>2 the line it's self is spinning on the spool
this one is an easy fix, but it will cost you your line.
go buy some new line, since it sounds like you're a noob i reccomend berkley trilene in a similar thickness to what came on your reel. bring that home, pull all the old line off your reel, tie on the new line (i just use a uni knot) and respool the reel. there are plenty of videos on that

>3 the third problem could be that you're a fuckwit and no amount of advice from 4chan will ever fix that (if anything it will make it worse)
>>
>>1253379
Round a pier nearby and I’ll go check it out once I get some gear, thanks anon

>>1253389
I’m using pic related, it was a 10 dollar lure with the line already spooled onto it.
>>
>>1253392
Forgot pic (turns out I AM a fuckwit)
>>
File: 0_original.jpg (31 KB, 640x640)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1253185
fag detected
>>
>>1253393
alright then the first two problems still apply, and we can factor for the third being true as well

the fixes remain the same, though it is easier to diagnose. if you hear the clicking and the whole spool (the little piece that the line gets wrapped around) is spinning, then do fix #1

if it's just the line spinning on the spool, fix number two.
>>
>>1252844
My Orvis has dots.
>>
>>1253372
The reel not picking up line is because theres no tension on the line. No weight = no tension. I would definitely suggest getting new line and respooling and pick up some cheap lead weights.
>>
>>1253451

Fly rods generally all have dots matey.
>>
File: downloadfile-18.jpg (48 KB, 727x393)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1253389
>Spooling with a uni knot.

Is there any difference or advantage to using one? I've always just used an arbor knot.
>>
>>1253451
We'll la dee da Latrell's going to Breckinridge
>I'll spend 1k on an Orvis rod after I get a new boat and only then
>>1253550
Na not all. St croix and lower end cabelas have no dots.
>>
>>1253619
It's just a Clearwater.
>>
anyone have the newest curado?

im getting slight feedback when i reel. dont know how to describe it other than a ‘winding’ sound and feel. wonder if its normal
>>
>>1253619
oddly enough only the cheapest fly rod I own has rod alignment dots. I wish they all had them though 2bh
>>
File: 1524160345291.png (335 KB, 644x812)
335 KB
335 KB PNG
Wader recommendations for salt and freshwater fishing? Should i get a stocking or boot foot waders?
>>
>>1253652
I always would choose stocking foot waders every time. Only downside is the added expense of having to buy boots. I like my Korker boots because I can swap out between felt, studded, and rubber bottoms depending on time of year and conditions. Avoid rubber or pvc waders as they will punctured before you know it. Neoprene waders are also a no go unless you are fishing in the dead of winter. Everyone seems to like simms waders but they cost an ass load. Second choice often being Orvis waders. Not sure on where they are priced but im pretty sure they arnt cheap either. Personally, I have Compass 360 brand waders. They are basically a simms copycat but for a fraction of the cost. I dont hear or see people mention compass waders often but the pair ive owned for 3 seasons now have been fantastic. I walk a lot when I fish and there are a million branches and pricker bushes Ive walked through and these are still in excellent condition. I liked them enough to buy the waist high pant waders for this season when its really hot out. They will be here tomorrow.
>>
>>1253677
>Avoid rubber or pvc waders as they will punctured before you know it
Not true, my dad is still using the same pair of pvc waders he bought at some point in the 80s. Theyve never punctured.
>>
>>1253679
>still wearing pvc waders from the 80s
>theyve never punctured

Ok? congrats, your dad probably wears them once every other year in a wide open area wear no snags are possible. Trying to argue that pvc waders are anywhere close to the durability of other wader materials is laughable. But then again what do you expect when a brand new pair cost what like $30?
>>
>>1253687
What are you even talking about?? PVC waders will outlast pretty much any breathable or neoprene waders. The material is way more durable.
They're impractical and heavy without providing any warmth during cold months, and that's pretty much it in terms of disadvantages.. I dont what chinkshit pair you bought to make you think differently.
>>
tips for river fishing with a float and jig?

My idea is to just use a jig, slip bobber, and some sort of bobber stop (i tried a bag tie and it seems to work well)
River isn't too deep, but I hear the slip bobber lets you bounce the jig too?

Targetting smallmouth, trout, walleye
>>
>>1253697
take a gander at the first 45 seconds of this video lmao

https://youtu.be/aimW2Irc1oo
>>
>>1253697
>go through 3 pairs of pvc waders in my first seaon
>bite the bullet and buy breathable waders
>been 3 seaons since and are still in good shape

man these chinkshit waders sure do suck
>>
>>1253713
>>1253720
Ehhh, maybe we just make better quality pvc in scandinavia, go into any fishing store here and they will tell you the exact opposite of what the guy in the video said...
>>
well creek chub fishing went up in smoke for this weekend, my friend turns out to have gotten a lot of projects that he has to work on so he wont be able to go home for his party, though he will probably still spend a few hours hanging out with friends as a celebration
>>
>>1253192
kek'd

>>1253218
unless its a rib, all inflatables will get pushed around by higher winds. It is one of the drawbacks of inflatables.
I've have 2 inflatable kayaks. nrs tandem and basic advanced elements tandem. They are good fun but are not the best for fishing. the nrs is hard to tip and floats high, it has a number of patches on it already from stupid shit. I made a plywood floor, added a motor mount, used my trolling motor from my pontoon, added pvc rod holders and used home depot outdoor carpeting to protect it. It works good but rigging it is a pain in the ass. The advanced is more or less a toy compared to the nrs. It sits low on the water and is a wet ride. The bladders are not as durable but the kayak is much faster and more portable than the nrs. It will cock in the wind but is fixable with a skeg and rudder addition. The nrs with the floor I can stand and fish, you will never stand on the advanced and it doesnt have any storage.

google: sea eagle 285.
I bought one last year and it works perfect for what i need. I have launched it in bays, lakes and beaches. It's stable and floats mid way so its a dryer ride and really easy to control drifts. Its a lot of bang for the buck if you're looking for portability and fishing. I take it everywhere and launch anywhere I want.
>>
File: TuVeHmhh.jpg (62 KB, 1024x768)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1253349
I got a really interesting color pattern mixing different grubs.

These were originally a lighter pink and white until they got mixed with a couple of tequila sunrise Power Worms.
>>
>>1252844
literally you just have to work from the tip down, line up the eue guides before you really seat them, and it's literally not even an issue. it takes like 30-40 seconds to put it together if you just pay attention. i mean seriously, i'm not smart, and assembling a 4 piece rod without alignment dots is entirely a non-issue, what does that say about you?
>>1253608
probably not, but i'm paranoid about a big fish taking me to the knot so i want it to be as strong a knot as i can get to give me my best shot at getting line back on my spool and landing the fish
>>1253710
try a rubberband tied around your line instead of a stop, though if the water is cold, probably a dead drift will be your best bet. basically, find the cover you want to fish (say, a boulder) cast upstream of it, let your rig float down to it, then past it, fish the boulder a few more times then move to the next cover.
>>
TXLizardFag where you at? You’re my soft plastic guy, when do you use Plum color? I pretty much only see Zoom making it but they make damn near every shape in that color. What’s the deal?
>>
>>1253758
Neat. I have some white lures that are splotched with all sorts of colors. I should try fishing them sometime.

>>1253781
I don't think I've used it, but it looks like it would be good in stained water or cloudy days. More subtle than black and blue, but still visibile.

I usually have a natural, dark, somewhere in between, and a bright color. I try not to overthink colors too much. 99% of the time the exact color doesn't matter anyway.
>>
Just for head up
Tackledirect is having a pretty good flash sale for a saltwater inshore combo. 134.99 for a 7mh shimano clarus, sahara 5000, 300yd 30lb power pro, and 2 waxwing lures. The combo of rod and reel alone probably already worth $160. It’s a great deal for anyone to get a inshore or kayak fishing set up
>>
Fished all day with one of these little fuckers and didn’t get a single nibble. I’m new to fishing, does anyone know what I might have done wrong?
>>
>>1253803
Yeah I’ve applied your theory to my plastics as well. I like a black blue flake, green pumpkin or green pumpkin blue flake, watermelon red or sprayed grass, and then a miscellaneous color. Depending on the use of the plastic, it could be a straight blue for jig trailers, junebug for worms, smoke purple or cotton candy for tubes. Just didn’t know about plum. It’s not really talked about much, and it doesn’t really look like it has its place anywhere. Maybe it’s one of those “do nothing perfect, do everything well” colors.
>>
>>1253849
A lot of colors aren’t talked about about a lot simply because they aren’t easily available. Zoom has so many colors and only a few make it into general stores. The colors in the store are generally the most basic and popular color. Normal people would not go out of their way to find specific colors online for a plastic as common as zoom. They’ll just settle for a few color in walmart that just werk feeds further into a positive feedback cycle for those few color popularity. As the other anon say, most of the times, colors don’t matter and fishes won’t be bother if this lure is has a bit more red hue than the other. The amount of dark/light hue in the lure is typically good enough. The action and profile of lures typically matter much more.
>>
>>1253836
Also FYI
Imo the rod in the combo is a bit underpowered even if it’s a damn good rod. It is probably still workable and might help if you want to throw lighter lures but I can see that it would struggle on big bluefish and striper. Even if you don’t use it saltwater and end up getting another rod, it would make a fine addition to freshwater arsenal or you can sell it as mint condition clarus rod can be sold quite easily on craiglist. You can also push the rod to its limit and if it break, try to send it to shimano for a guaranty claim and try to get another rod with beefier spec.
>>
File: joanwulff.png (1.16 MB, 1800x916)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
How awesome is Joan Wulff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1XP0NRRGkA
>>
double drop shot. good idea or bad idea?
>>
>>1253677
Thanks for recomendation man. I really like the point guide waders. 1k for waders is a bit too much for me.
>>
>>1253895
Works in saltwater why can't it work in freshwater?
>>
>>1253895
Drop shot is typically a finesse tech with light line so if you have double hook up, you are fucked.
However, there are many drop shot -ish set up with heavier line in salt water have multiple hook set up that work.
>>
>>1253839
Confusing fishing with catching.
How are you using it?
>>
so i went to this little creek with my 2 weight and found it had decent carp, im going to have to go back some day with an 8 weight and a different box
>>
Sheeeeeeiittt

New juan comin
>>
>>1253952
>>1253952
>>1253952
>>1253952
>>
>>1253839
Try a rapala ultralight Minnow

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.