[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

I finally took the leap to become /out/
I don’t have the biggest budget. But I did my research and took the leap.
Wish me luck /out/
>>
>buying a footprint for a tent with a 68d floor
you already fucked up
>>
>solar cell phone battery charger

Three observations:
1. You didn't do enough research to even discover that you won't have reception after three minutes away from your car
1a. Evidently you haven't even gone for day hikes before if you didn't know that and what to jump straight into the world of backpacking from scratch, which you're an even bigger idiot
2. If you seriously can't handle a few days with facebook and instagram, maybe, just maybe, you're better suited for recreational activities like barhopping or clubbing then you are /out/
>unless you fancy yourself an amateur nature photographer, in which case you were too retarded to realize even the most basic point and shoot will take better pictures than your phone in 2018
>>
>>1250861
solid tent and a good pad
you'll be fine figure out the rest later
>>
>>1250877
Phone cameras are pretty good these days. Maybe he wants to charge his kindle or play music while he's out.
>>
>>1250877
its a good usb charger
my gps, go pro, and light.

seems like you are projecting friend.
do you have something you need to talk about? lots of pent up anger.
>>
>>1250877
that was only 2 observations
>>
>>1250894
power banks are nice just the solar part on it is just extra weight. far to small to get any meaningful charge. for that weight you could have had more mAh. and if he's just starting out he doesn't need the super long therm solar.
>>
>>1250901
i thought it was cool
>>
>>1250903
It is cool anon, and it's cheap too so it's not a big deal. We all make mistakes and that's how we learn.
>>
>>1250908
thx m8
at least i have a battery bank although a little heavy
>>
File: sleeping pad.jpg (18 KB, 500x256)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1250861
> Tent footprint
Gud

> Kelty Salida tent
Gud

>Therm-a-rest sleeping pad
Bit overkill... should have gotten normal foam sleeping pad and put the extra money into good sleeping bag. Though it's good purchase since you'd probably get one later anyway

> Solar charger
Those 22 usd you could get you a budget headlamp, alcohol stove and some cookware. But it's okay I guess

Overall I give it solid 6, maybe 7/10. So you did good
>>
>>1250908

This.

OP, I was once a clueless 20 year old with no exp.

I hiked a few mountains and decided to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail.

I did months of research, spent tons of money worrying about the tiniest stuff (gaiters to protect from rocks/ticks? Gortex or not? Hiking boot or shoe?).

In the end, I didn’t need half of it.

You only learn what YOU truly need when you get out there and hike your hike man.

Good luck, and report back if you can.
>>
>hey guise, look at me, I bought shit on the internet. Me survivorman nao
>>
>tent
it's allready too late for you anon
>>
>>1251111
Whom the fuck is dumb enough to buy a footprint for a tent!
>>
>>1251137
who, not whom, you ignorant, pretentious dumbass.
>>
>>1251111
digits confirm, tentfags eternally btfo
>>
>>1250958
what the fuck are you doing in my valley REEEEE EXPLAIN YOURSELF NOW REEEEEE
>>
>>1250861
>footprint
superfluous for a tent that inexpensive with a tough floor.
>tent
kelty calls it a 2p, but with just 1 door it's effectively a 1p. but it's freestanding, not appallingly heavy, and solo it will be comfy as hell to have all that room.
>pad
airpad>>>foam pad. r-value of 3.4 will cover everything comfortably except sleeping on snow.
>solar charger
get that gay shit outta here. unplug for 3 days, ffs.
>sleeping bag
???
>>
>>1250861
Sleeping pads are awful from my experience.
I bought a easy to inflate air mattress, it weighs less, takes less room and doesn't make me hate my life when /out/. Takes about 1-2 min to inflate it by hand, no air pump needed. Deflating is even faster.
>>
>>1251156
>get that gay shit outta here. unplug for 3 days, ffs.
what if he is leaving for good anon?
>>
>>1250877
Or maybe he wants to listen to some music over the course of a few days? A solar powered charger is hardly worth getting this butt ravished over.
>>
After putting a hole in my second Thermarest NeoAir while mostly using it in my hammock, I can't recommend spending so much money on them. I have an inflatable Big Agnes one I bought for $30 but it has no insulation which is necessary for 3 seasons in Wisconsin.

I love being able to do a weekend in a 24L bag that ways less than 8lbs but $150 every 1.5 years is too steep for me. I'm going to get a foam pad and be done shopping.
>>
>>1251302
Retards who use hammocks don't realize that burning a hole in a neo air with a doobie or using it as a cutting board are not a good idea
>>
File: IMG_20180416_0727382.jpg (3.91 MB, 4056x2704)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB JPG
>>1250877
Yo dude, wanna hug an stuff? Whatever you're going through there's no need to take it out on newfrienderino here like that. Can you really justify you're elitism for such a statement?
>>
>>1251156
I got the 2p tent because I wanted my backpack next to me
>>
>>1250861
You dun good, newfriend. Now comes the difficult part for many, actually going /out/. Don't be that guy who buys gear to compensate for the lack of actually going on trips. I hope to see another thread of yours in the next couple weeks but posting photos and sharing your experience. Have fun.
>>
>>1251353
People in hammocks are not the reason you're lonely or angry
>>
>>1251431
He's just acting out because his God Emperor is about to be impeached.
>>
Op here
Got the last piece of my gear before the backpack

Cost me 100$ but I’m a cold sleeper so it was worth it for me

I’m going to bring all my stuff in to rei/sportsmen’s wearhouse and try different backpacks with all my stuff inside.
>>
>>1251455
you don't have to bring all your stuff in. just figure out its approximate weight. they have 5-30 lb bean bags to load packs up with to try them on.
>>
>>1251456
not him but weight isn't the problem volume is
my stuff isn't heavy but it is bulky and some is odd shaped gotta test pocket size and design
>>
>>1251458
which is why they use bulky ass bean bags and not ingots of iron.
>>
>>1251466
gonna need some really weird shapes
for me it was the titanium wood stove(seek outside if anyone cares)
it's not heavy but it packs as this big flat school binder looking thing and wouldn't fit in some divided bags I found
>>
>>1251469
>my eccentricity needs a special shaped pack so everyone needs a special shaped pack
fuck off. op will clearly be fine with just about any pack that's comfortable on him, and in regards to that weight is the more important factor.
>>
>>1251456
Ah thanks for the tip friend
>>
>>1251474
Usually /b/ and /pol/ are the boards where ppl flame others for no reason
>>
>>1250877
Are you mentally challenged? Have you ever heard of GPS?
>>
where is knife? Also, what type of pack you plan on getting OP?
>>
>>1251511
>provide multiple helpful responses to op
>call anon on his buttinsky special situation
>"y-you're a troll"
eat a bag of dicks
>>
>>1251552
my knife I bought earlier for when I tried day hikes,
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-11863-Companion-4-1-Inch-Military/dp/B004TNWD40

the backpack im looking at,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZXEDCQ/?coliid=I3CIL7Z6KF2BKE&colid=3AFH32EFUSW4Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

but I may get the ofsprey atmos because I've heard good things about it, but the TETON one is 100$ less.
Im going to go try bean bags in packs at my local store and see what I like.
>>
>>1251720
Not him but:
Teton is a solid budget brand, it'll probably be fine for you.
I've been using the Salida 2 tent for years and have never needed a footprint, even in heavy, all-day rains, even if I did, I would just use a piece of tyvek or simple plastic sheeting. Amazon refund process is pretty damn easy, just saying bro, just saying.
>>
>>1251720
if you're going to go cheap on a pack go properly cheap and either get a high sierra pack for $55 or find something on craigslist, so that way when next summer you wish you had a better pack (and you will) you won't be tossing $120 out. otherwise just spend the $200 and get a real pack out of the gate.
>>
>>1251270
What did you get
>>
File: IMAG2539.jpg (1.22 MB, 2688x1520)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>1251728
>>
>>1251728
I’ll think about it, thanks for the tip
>>
>>1251732
What’s the difference between the one I’m looking at vs the 200$ one.
I was looking at reviews and it said it was a good budget option.
But my goal is to get budget stuff that can last me a few years.
>>
>>1251756
fit, comfort, and load dispersal. they're the 3 sides of one triangle, so all related, but slightly different. i used a high sierra pack for 2 1/2 years. it gave me a good sense of what i like, what i didn't like, and what i wished i had, and was only $45, so i didn't mind drop kicking it when i was ready to upgrade (to a gregory baltoro 75, fwiw).
>>
>>1251801
I think I am willing to spend the extra 50$ to get something of a little quality I can use for a few years.
But I’m not confidant in jumping into a top tier pack if I don’t know what I’m looking for.

I have no refrance for taste, so everything is new. So I’d rather not buy a top tier pack and not like it down the line
>>
>>1251270
Come on anon you gotta link if you’re gonna bring it up
>>
>>1251830
I personally wouldn't recommend dropping too much beyond your budget on your first run of gear.

First and foremost if you do "slightly above" where you want to spend, you'll wind up with stuff that you're going to still want to replace... but you'll wait until it's worn to shit first. That's not a bad philosophy with gear, and it's good to avoid being wasteful, but if you wind up disliking your pack after a season or two, good luck with craigslist.

Another issue is that some /out/ hobbies sound cool the first couple times you try it, then you realize you don't want to do it every weekend in the summer. Suddenly you dropped 200 dollars on gear you use only two or three times.

Again, this is why I would say go cheap your first run of gear. Exceptions would be things like climbing gear, dirt bike helmets, or really anything safety oriented.
>>
>>1251849
I have been a hiker for a while now and grew up doing scouts so I’m confidant in my enjoyment of the hobby, my goal is to do the pct someday, but I’m starting small and finishing school first.

Only now do I have the income to afford gear for backpacking.
So I’m fine spending a little extra so I understand what you are saying

How bad are the cheaper packs in comparison to the mid tier ones?
I do other hobbies and I use gear in that till it breaks and I need to get new gear, so I like to go cheep but still get long lasting gear
Although little money good product should be the goal of ever consumer
>>
>>1251858
The thing with the budget packs is that some of them are made out of shitty fabrics and wont last very long sice the seams or some strap will tear apart. The other budget pack will last forever but will be just a bit less comfortable in comparison to the 200one. I think it just depends, maybe dont get the newest pack on the market? There are some really awesome packs out there from the last few years that you could get really cheap now.
>>
>>1251957
Do you have any examples?

I know the older atmos is pretty good
>>
>>1252176
Older atmos god tier
>>
another question, i just threw my whole kit into lighter pack and my base weight comes out to be 15.83 pounds.
i know there are turbo ultralights on here that say anything heavier than 10 pounds will make me kill myself.
but 15 base weight is still under the light weight category, correct?
will I be fine for a while until I decide to spend tons of money upgrading?

>>1252210
ill pick that up then, thanks
>>
>>1252218
>will I be fine for a while until I decide to spend tons of money upgrading?
yes

and go on osprey's website to see how to measure your torso length before buying a pack off craigslist to make sure you're get the right size (s/m/l, not volume). you'll be really sad if you're a lanklet with a manlet pack, or vice versa.
>>
>>1252228
Allright, thank you for the information
>>
OP that battery bank is retarded. Please cancel that order.

Not only is the solar panel completely ineffective, if you do choose to use it, you will heat up the batteries from the sun and cause it to swell and destroy itself. This can possibly lead to fires.
I recommend returning it and getting a small 18650 housing with usb charge output, and a few 18650 cells. Bonus points you can also get a torch that runs on 18650 cells for dual purposes.
>>
File: Learning-Curve.png (46 KB, 1412x978)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>1250958
You will be under prepared
Then you will be over prepared
Then you figure it out
>>
>>1252270
“Delivered”
>>
Dude just go outside lmao
>>
>>1252302
Epic troll dude
>>
>>1252278
Opposite for me
I brought 40 pounds of gear my first trip
>>
>>1250877

You can charge the headlamp and gps as well you fucking IDIOT faggot
>>
finally got everything thrown into lighterpack
14.81 without
>clothing
>first aid
>rain gear

But I thought my base weight would end up around 18, so far so good.

https://lighterpack.com/r/g4qk19
>>
>>1250877
>You didn't do enough research to even discover that you won't have reception after three minutes away from your car

gps, even phone gps still work in the back country, also, anon probably wants some entertainment for down times
>>
File: 12583473798.gif (2.42 MB, 513x420)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB GIF
no knife
>wtf
>>
>>1253065
Check the lighter pack
>>1252864

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.