[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 46 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: AT.jpg (375 KB, 1200x930)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
Any of you thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail? Was it fun/worth the time? Did you do any training ahead of time or are there enough towns on the trail that you can kind of take it easy.

Also thru hiking general
>>
>>1263362
I’ve done bits and pieces and to be honest, it doesn’t even hit the coolest part of the Appalachians. If you’re going to spend a couple grand and a few months on hiking, book a flight and do the PCT or CDT, there’s a lot more interesting terrain. The AT is like the boring bit of the hike to an overlook or waterfall but for a couple thousand miles. Plus you’re surrounded by people the whole time.
>>
>>1263371
yeah based on pictures i've seen, pacific crest and continental divide definitely look more interesting
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (92 KB, 1280x720)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1263362
>>1263371
>PCT
>CDT
>AT
you faggots need to come thru hike the FL Trail
inb4 muh fear of gators/spiders/snakes/roaches/lot lizards/niggers/trailer-trash/wrinkled up old jews
>>
>through hiking general
Neat, I've been waiting for a thread like this for a long time.

I'm hoping to do the PCT in 2019, if anyone has done it or anything similar and has any advice i'd be very interested to hear what you have to say
>>
>what's your trail name man? Want to have a safety meeting man?
>hey man for 30 dollars I will put you in my documentary man
>life on the trail man
The AT is full of dead beat losers like picture related. Go to the Pct.
>>
>>1263449
>>
>>1263437
t. gator
>>
File: chzwizpics093-1.jpg (105 KB, 960x720)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>1263371
>>1263380

I disagree with this for one reason:

The AT is simple. It's the perfect starting trail for someone who is not experienced in long-distance hiking. Of course, I was born with a golden spoon in my mouth and was able to thru-hike no problem, so I understand not wanting to commit to the "lesser" mountain range of the Appalachias.

>>1263449

This guy's not wrong. Because of the ease-of-access to the trail from any old loser, you get ALOT of tattood scum bags.

I know of a girl who was taken advantage of financially (stupid fat white broad) and others who have been robbed, threatened with weapons, etc.

Any long-distance hiker knows, its not the four legged animals you have to be afraid of, its the two legged ones.

Pic related is why I loved the AT so much. The people associated with the trail. The trail angels and trail legends (Baltimore Jack, Miss Janet, The Captain).

This video is from "The Captains" he lives RIGHT off the AT (its like a .3 mile blueblaze)
and has a party every year. Moonshine, fun hiker games, etc.

The people I met taught me so much and helped me so much along the way. It's like you're getting a big fat slice of Americana pie every other day.

Pic related is "The Captain" drinking some moonshine.
>>
>>1263449
>>1263786
>>1263371

so it sounds like AT is less "time of isolation and self reflection while you push yourself to your limits" and more "college spring break but with more walking and less beaches"

are CDT and PCT like this too? I like the idea of the trail having lots of towns for resupply opportunities along the way, do those have the same kind of spread?
>>
>>1263842
>time of isolation and self reflection while you push yourself to your limits
Hike CDT going south if this is what you want
>>
Would love to hike one of the big three, but it simply takes too much time to do.

I personally can only take two weeks off a year for vacation.
>>
>>1265132
This.

I do section hikes when i can though.
>>
>>1265132
Mate, if you only have 2 miserable weeks of free time per year, it's not the hike that takes too much time, but your job.
>>
>>1263449
>hey man for 30 dollars I will put you in my documentary man
lolwut. isn't the producer supposed to pay the cast, not the other way around?
>>
>>1263362
Go do a dozen 3-4 day hikes at some real natural areas. State or National Parks. You'll have more outdoor street cred than any AT hiker. The AT has become absolute shit - it's like hiking along a post-apocalyptic homeless trail of trash, excrement, and schizophrenia. May as well pick an Interstate and walk for a few hundred miles roadside, it's probably significantly more natural.
I did the AT in '97. It was shit then. I've section hiked a bit over these last 20 years, and it's been more shit every time I've seen it. Don't bother. There is no street cred remaining to be drawn from "I hiked the AT."
>>
>>1263842
Yeah, like college spring break, but more smelly STD-ridden whores (promiscuous female hikers who haven't bathed in weeks but offer to fuck you for a sandwich or a candy bar) and homeless beggars and trash strewn around and crazy fuckers trying to steal shit from you.
Stay. The fuck. Away. Really. There is no valid reason to hike the AT anymore. Period.
>>
>>1265670
>>1265659
This and this. Nasty dirty trail with too much traffic and every other person who crosses your path is batshit crazy.
Can pick ten places within a half hour of my home that are better /out/ places to go.
>>
>>1263362
Alright, SoBo thru-hiker here, completed it last year. On the AT, whether you hit all the deadbeat jackasses will vary on if you go NoBo or SoBo. NoBo, you're going to be hitting swarms of people, hiking into the heat, dealing with pothead jackasses who are just there to party while hikers are trying to sleep and have constant "safety meetings." However, you're also hiking the trail the easiest way, and by the time you get to the Whites and Maine, you'll already be conditioned and good to go.

If you hike it SoBo like I did, you'll be hiking with the seasons (so the temp doesn't really change on you), with people who are pretty serious about hiking (because SoBo is the harder way to go), and there'll usually be just enough people so you're not completely isolated each night, but not so many people that you can't hike and be alone. HOWEVER, you're also starting with the hardest shit first. Once I got out of the White Mountains, I had a blast. I was already conditioned, I had no time limit (except my bank account), and I was with a small, tight-knit group. But getting to that point was hell, and I had to stop myself from packing it in and quitting no less than five times.

Overall, I had a great time. Hell, even the relief from reaching a town through that first few hundred miles of hell made the rest of it worthwhile.

As far as towns, outside of Maine, you'll be hitting a town at least once every two or three days, if you want to divert. Most are a bit of a hike/hitchhike off the trail, though, so it's really easy to just get extra food at one town and blow through two or three more without stopping if you need to make time. If you're a NoBo hitting Maine, you'll move to hitting a town every four or five days or so, up until the 100 mile wilderness. If you're a SoBo going through Maine, some sections you'll have to pack a week of food, even outside the 100 mile. Or at least I did, but I was a slow SoBo (a SlowBo, if you will).
>>
>>1265626
A lot of hikers are stupid kids, and they know it. It's easy money.
>>
>>1265659
>Hiking for street cred

A massive faggot like you belongs on reddit. You have to go back
>>
>>1263842
From what I heard from passing NoBos, a Northbound AT hike is absolutely filled with dipshit kids, crazies, and homeless people hogging shelters. Hiking it southbound, I had a much different experience. I basically enjoyed chatting with the hikers I met at shelters and on the trail (except for one /pol/-tier sperg, right down to shitting up the Guthook app with ((((echo quotes)))) when he had an argument with a caretaker), what few dumb kids there were had dropped out within the first week almost to a man, and the occasional slutty hippy chick seemed to actually be bathing in the rivers on occasion, they smelled better than I did.
>>
>>1263449
>>1265709
wft is a safety meeting?
>>
>>1265714
Lingo for getting together and smoking pot. Even in states where recreational is legal, they still use this term. It's kinda cringey, but I'm also not in the culture so, eh.
>>
>>1265715
ah, thanks. yeah, i can just imagine a bunch of burnouts being all smug thinking they're clever and sneaky calling it that.
>>
>>1265717
In my experience on the trail, it was less smug and more a running gag. But I was also with a lot more recreational users and a lot fewer burnouts.
>>
>>1265717
And yet they would have fooled you
>>
>>1265763
face to face i have no doubt i would have picked up on their meaning, but there are fewer cues in this commumication medium.
>>
>>1265711
Nah, mate, the massive faggotdom is all yours. Perhaps you haven't heard of a strawman argument, but you're decent at making one. I never said or implied that I approved of hiking for street cred, in fact quite the opposite. The idea that "I hiked the AT" is something that people dangle with pride or to somehow brag about their hiking experience is in fact pointless for that purpose to anyone who knows much...as referenced by my statement that they may as well hike along the Interstate. It's the equivalent of saying "yeah, well I've swam in 2 major oceans and the Gulf of Mexico" to support your contention that you are a hardcore saltwater swimmer. .
>>
>>1265791
You aren't even a real person. Just a fake faggot posturing for approval of other idiots

>You'll have more outdoor street cred than any AT hiker.

>There is no street cred remaining to be drawn from "I hiked the AT."
>>
>>1263362
>Any of you thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail?
aye
>Was it fun/worth the time?
yes, but there are rapidly diminishing returns per mile
>Did you do any training ahead of time or are there enough towns on the trail that you can kind of take it easy.
no and my ass got kicked by central maine
I hiked north to south

My tail name was Striker
>>
>>1265836
Hey, fellow SoBo! Always nice to hear someone describe Maine as something other than "Such a gorgeous, wonderful state."

Personally, I found out early on that the reason I was fording so many rivers, climbing straight up so many mountains, and just generally getting slowed down so hardcore was because the MATC decided that bridges and switchbacks would ruin their "rugged feel." After that, I made it through the state fueled on pure rage alone.

When did you do your hike, Striker?
>>
>>1265852
iirc I summited katahdin june 16th, 2015
I spent too much time drinking in pennsylvania and visiting friends in NYC, so I had to pull off the trail in that November to dodge the winter
I got back on in march of 2016 and finished in may, so maybe it wasn't a thru hike by purist standards

how about yourself?
>>
>>1265836
>>1265709

i know NoBos start in March/April and finish Sept/Oct, when do SoBos start? I'm assuming more like June so it's not cold as fuck in Maine starting out?
>>
>>1265132
>>1265586

t. Wageslaves
>>
>>1266088
what do you do that makes it easy to fuck off for six months? can't even be NEET since it costs money to buy the gear/food
>>
>>1265886
I started my thru-hike last year, summited Katahdin June 6th. I made it south all the way to Maryland, about 8 miles from Harper's Ferry when I had to stop to let my shin splints heal (they were slowing me down to about 5 miles a day before the pain became too much).

By the time they'd healed, it was late October, and I was looking at being stuck in the Smokies in December. Fuck that.

Still haven't completed it. Honestly, not sure if I'll ever complete it. I got my vacation and my time away from the world; I got what I wanted out of that hike.

Maybe I'll just section the rest. I dunno.
>>
>>1265897
Depends on Baxter. Baxter State Park stays open only so long as its administration places the nature within above the hikers who want to hike it. So whenever said administration decides it can open (normally very late May) is when the SoBos start, though most will start out in June or July.

That said, I'm not 100% on the rules of Baxter; I've heard of people starting out in Maine in the winter and still managing it, so I dunno.
>>
>>1266109
It costs $2K to $5K. You have a demanding job so that should be easy to save. But my point stands that you can't do something you seem to really want to do because your job owns you. It's just an observation but if it bothers you maybe that means you need to make a change so you can pursue your dreams and put yourself first.
>>
>>1266109
Just quit and get a new job when you get back
>>
File: 1525811326774-906348748.jpg (2.16 MB, 3264x1836)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
I'm at an at shelter in Virginia as we speak. Started at the falls March 2nd. It's nice having 4g laying in the hammock to catch up on normie YouTube trash.
>>
>>1263437
Already did. AT is deff a baby tier trail
>>
>>1266512
That was the shit, especially for SoBos who started out in the giant dead zone that is Maine and New Hampshire (at least NH north of the Whites).

What are you packing for a backup battery? Or are you living dangerously and going without?
>>
Very inexperienced hiker here. Plan on doing the ACT SoBo at the start of June. Is the ACT SoBo still possible for a Begging Thru hiker with approx 1 month of intense preperation and practice?
>>
>>1266422
i'm actually thinking of doing this next year. it'll be about time for me to switch jobs anyway so it's not like i'd be throwing away a good thing
>>
>>1266512
nice, enjoy yourself out there
>>
>>1266615
I'm familiar with the AT, the CT, and the PCT, but what the hell is the ACT?

Also, what the everloving fuck is a begging thru hike? Is that an ultralight hiker? Because they were certainly begging to use my gear often enough.
>>
>>1266672
*ba dum tiss*
>>
>>1266674
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night.

But seriously, what the fuck is a begging thru hike?
>>
>>1266680
based on context i assume he meant "beginning thru hiker" or "beginner", he's probably on mobile and got autocorrected
>>
>>1266683
Hm... I'd believe you as that also explains "ACT," but then I'd think it would autocorrect SoBo to SoBe
>>
>>1263437
>>1263656
>>
>>1266687
Thanks this clears up a lot....
>>
>>1266615
So, assuming that you really are just an absolutely shit phoneposter who doesn't check his posts, I'm going to say you meant to say "beginning" and "AT" rather than "begging" and "ACT."

When I did my SoBo hike of the AT, I had never camped overnight before, excluding one instance where I camped out shortly before starting because I wanted to make sure the tent I bought was fine. I was just a regular old day hiker.

Maine absolutely beat my ass, and New Hampshire was tough. I must have had to convince myself not to quit at least five times. I still made it through, and once I got to Vermont, it was basically smooth sailing all the way down. I didn't feel too bad though, because even hikers in much better shape than me were talking about how insanely tough Maine was to start on. You're picking the hardest way to do the trail, but if you get past the Whites, you're going to be golden.

So to answer your question, it's possible, it's just going to be really tough. Keep at it and don't do something stupid to injure yourself, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1266615
>>1266723

That said, I'm concerned that you're only just now asking these questions, with your trip still a month out. Do you have all the gear you need? Have you set up properly? Make sure you're prepared, man; this isn't a small undertaking. You're going to need:
>money to keep whatever you can't suspend at home paid off
>money for your food on the trail (I STRONGLY suggest buying as you go, rather than buying it all at once and shipping it to yourself. You inevitably burn out on one food or another on the trail. To this day I still can't stomach oatmeal)
>money for replacing/repairing gear on the trail, and keeping it supplied with batteries and fuel (your boots especially are going to die. Probably in PA. Expect to replace them twice)
>money for the occasional pay shelter, especially in the Whites (FUCK the AMC)
>you're going to REALLY want money to have some town days (I always liked to aim for one zero a week. Sometimes if I was absolutely beat or wanted to spoil myself, I'd even take two)
>you're going to REALLY want money to stay in the occasional hotel/hostel or stop somewhere for a burger and some greens, particularly in New York where you're passing a deli every 5 - 10 miles (a New York bagel with cream cheese is a religious experience. Buy one)

I can't stress enough: MAKE SURE YOU'RE PREPARED. Nothing's more sad than someone getting 10 miles out of Baxter only to find out they forgot something they desperately need, like a stove or something. Well, nothing except maybe someone running out of money two months into their hike and having to figure out how to get home.
>>
>>1265588
Unfortunately jobs are a requirement for most people and it isn't easy to just switch to a different one.
>>
>>1266723
>>1266728
Money isn't an issue I've been saving for a year so i'm golden. Only thing i'm concerned about prep wise is planning my stopping and resupply points. How much of that can I just wing? I know i'm going to have to be careful about the 100 mile wilderness and still don't know how i'm exactly going to tackle that.
>>
I tried and got stuck working at NOC last year. I mean I'm not too mad. ended up getting summoned for jury duty so I never would have made it anyways.
>>
>>1266752
After I got through the 100 mile, I'd just play it by ear. Any decent guide is going to tell you what towns you can expect to have at least a gas station to do limited resupply at (yeah you'll be on mashers and ramen, but it beats hiking on empty), and the first thing I'd do when I stopped in a town was plan ahead for when my next stop would be so I knew how much food I'd need. It's also a useful step to take so you can keep your lifeline at home appraised on when to expect your next call, so rather than someone figuring out you're missing in three months, they figure it out in a week.

Related, I'd heavily recommend purchasing the maps for Guthook's app, if you're bringing a smartphone with and haven't already. Saved my ass on some balds, kept me from trying to play guesswork of "okay, is THAT something that AWOL considered a small stream?" to figure out how far from the next shelter I was, and it still shows a pretty damn accurate location even if your phone's in airplane mode.
>>
Anyone here /OHT/? Probably my next if, or the JMT if I can afford to drive to California.
>>
>>1263437
Could one of these things kill you on land?
>>
>>1266864
On land, a gator will whip it's tail and try to sweep you off your feet if you get too close. However, that's very rare. Usually they won't stray from the water and you shouldn't fear them on land unless it's mating season (spring time) or it's a female protecting her eggs.
Gators hunt at night. Never go in water after dark. The sound of your splashing will draw gators to you and they are extremely fast and agile in the water.
From underwater, a person's silhouette is indistinguishable from animals that gators prey on. Gators feed at dawn and dusk, so you want to avoid shorelines and riverbanks at that time. pic very related
>>
File: unnamed3[1].jpg (159 KB, 960x720)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>1266864
Always use a bear bag in FL or a gator might wander into your tent and chew through your food sack for treats.
>>
>>1265897
June or July if you are fast
Baxter usually opens in late may/early June so lots of people start then
>>
>>1266728
>something they desperately need, like a stove or something.
I did the atc with no stove or tent for most of it
>>
>>1266889
And I'm sure you loved your nightly ration of cold mashers.

Also, bring a tent or a hammock. Relying on shelters that other hikers may have already set up in is a dick move.
>>
What do you do with your trash on the AT? Are there regular garbage bins or do you have to go into town. I heard it's getting quite dirty, unburied toilet paper strung next to shelters, etc.
>>
>>1266980
Cleanliness depends on the shelter. Some shelters have caretakers coming through on the regular, and are pretty clean with privies that don't smell too atrocious. Others seem to have a caretaker come through MAYBE once a season, and they get fucked by jackass hikers and weekend warriors.

As for what to do with trash, you pack it out to the next town if you're not human scum. If you're a weekend warrior or a hiker with zero redeeming qualities, though, apparently you just leave your trash in the shelters. After all, who cares if the local mice and bears learn that shelter = food? That hiker won't be coming back there!

Packing your trash out isn't as bad as it sounds, though. Not to sound flippant, but the easiest way to minimize the pain in the ass process of carrying back worthless weight is to not make much trash. When you stop to get food, first thing you do is take everything out of its cardboard box and move it into ziploc baggies. Once you eat the food out of THOSE, not only do they weigh nothing, but then they're reusable.

Also, pro tip; keep your food trash in your food bag, and keep it all together. I'd keep my food trash in a large resealable baggie, almost always the one my last pack of tortillas came in. Seal it up after every meal, and you don't have to worry about leftover food smells attracting scavengers.

But yeah, to answer your question, plan to pack out any trash you pack in. That's what makes the rare treats- like packing in a fifth of whiskey- so damn rare. You're going to be carrying the aftereffects of that treat LONG after you've sobered up.
>>
>>1267018
Oh, and foil packets are the shit. Not reusable, but they still weight nothing and can be compacted down to basically zero space. It's the best way to pack in spam or tuna, and saves you running through your ziplocs.
>>
>>1267018
Oh, and I should clarify: there's a big difference between leaving supplies or gear you can't use, and leaving trash. The latter is something car campers and weekend warriors do. The former is more often than not considered trail magic. Some of my favorite nights in shelters came from someone leaving a bag of something normally too heavy for me to pack in, but absolutely delicious.

I still remember in Maine, someone left two sealed, cookable packs of Indian food (Aloo Gobi, and Tamil rice IIRC) in a shelter. They weighed a pound each, but the packaging itself weighed nothing. My hiking partner and I feasted that night.
>>
>>1267018
Thanks, that's great advice. I doubt there is anyone on /out/ who isn't insanely triggered by littering and I'm no different. I would rather forego the trip than to litter once.
>>
>>1267032
Good on you, I won't have to hope a black bear harasses your food bag when you're trying to sleep, then.

Also, some people still packed in the cardboard and just burned it in the fire pit when they were done. If you want to do this, it's an option that can save you having to bother with repackaging everything during limited town hours, but be prepared for it to trigger any environmentalists hiking with you. I had some interesting arguments when I was seen burning pages out of the AWOL guide that I didn't need anymore.

And actually, if you're the sort who doesn't like digging a cathole to shit in the woods, I'd recommend getting something akin to the Guthook app so you can see what other hikers are bitching about at shelters coming up. Some of 'em are bad, real bad.

Have you ever seen a privy so full of shit that the feces are actually piling up HIGHER than the toilet seat? You will. Probably in New York.
>>
>>1265670
>promiscuous female hikers who haven't bathed in weeks but offer to fuck you for a sandwich or a candy bar

Lol no way this actually happened?
>>
>>1268153
Certainly not to you
>>
>>1268162
Will you kindly apologize for hurting my feelings?
>>
>>1266980
You carry it, you also carry your poop and poopy toilet paper too.
>>
>>1266512
liking your Arc Blast?
>>
>>1269500
Who the fuck packs out their poop? In all of the educational material I read while I was on the trail, not ONE said a damn thing about packing out actual human shit.

Dog shit? I actually saw a few for that, but mostly they just asked you to bury your dog's crap. Otherwise it was stressing the importance of cat holes and of not shitting next to a river.

The TP I actually have seen official sources saying to pack it out, but I don't know a single hiker who did. The few who gave enough of a shit (heh) that they didn't just bury the TP with their shit, would just burn the toilet paper and move on.
>>
>>1268153
I never saw any food-based prostitution on my through-hike (then again, I wasn't a NoBo), but I wouldn't be too surprised. Some of the female hikers I met were really, REALLY promiscuous (particularly the hippy chicks. They tend to really be into Free Love and all that jazz).

One I met had figured out that if she planned tinder dates ahead of her schedule, she could get the guy to drive her around town and give her a place to crash for the night, all for the low low price of fucking him after. As a big, scary, unshaven hiker who was struggling to get hitch-hikes into town, I was actually a bit jealous.
>>
>>1263786

I stayed at the Captain's but it was the weekend of Trail Days so I missed him. Loved his hospitality regardless. Happened after a 2 week stretch of rain and I was finally able to dry out my tent, to which I realized all my shit was just damp. 2 years later and the best feeling I've ever experienced is still just being warm and dry.

The only times I was ever scared on the trail were some far and few between interactions with people, but they were also some of the most humbling and warm interactions.
>>
>>1269524
Usually you pack out your poop if you’re above the treeline. Haven’t really heard about it elsewhere, but I know zip about the AT.
>>
>>1269524
packing out your tp is part of the whole leave no trace thing. unachievable standards to make people feel better than others.
>>
>>1269557
Ah, that might explain it, then. I think I actually remember a sign or two about doing that on some of the balds. Basically "don't go off-trail here, and try not to poop. If you have to, at least take it back below the tree line with you."

For most of the trail, though, it's densely wooded, so that's a non-issue. Pardon my snapping at you earlier.

>>1269574
Eh, not exactly unachievable. It's not like it's without reason; paper takes a while to break down compared to feces, and it's unsightly to see wads of toilet paper on the side of the trail, whether or not it's a ways away from the river.

I just buried mine whenever I had to shit in the woods. Again, I knew some people who would burn their TP after they were done, and the vast majority of my TP went straight into the privy. I hated shitting in the woods. I'm a creature of comfort; I like something to sit down on when I poop.
>>
>>1269524
In some places you are required to pack out your poo.
>>
some old dude got attacked by a black bear last year on the AT
>>
>>1266512
What kind of hammock is that, been needing one that’s not heavy as shit
>>
>>1263441
there are a limitless supply of guides in various forms of media, what advice do you want from us? Cairn kicking hotspots?
>>
>>1263362
I'm in the middle of my thru hike, just taking a week off to hang out with a buddy.
>Was it fun/worth the time?
Haven't wished I was off trail once. Even though it's great to see my friend I wish I was back on trail.
>Did you do any training ahead of time
I hike a lot any way so haven't found any of the trail tough so far.
>there enough towns on the trail that you can kind of take it easy.
Depends on walking pace but you can get away with only carrying 3 days food at a time.
>>
>>1263449
>Go to the Pct.
The PCT is stunning but the walking is much easier. That trail is graded for horse travel.
>>
>>1263842
>so it sounds like AT is less "time of isolation and self reflection while you push yourself to your limits" and more "college spring break but with more walking and less beaches"
It is if you want it to be. But most the people who fall into the second group are only hiking 15 miles a day and stopping around 2pm. I tend to hike dawn till dusk and like to camp alone. So apart from meeting like 4-5 people on the trail a day I've had a pretty quiet hike so far. If you start earlier you also have a better chance to have a quiet hike
>>
>>1270129
>>1270133

thanks for sharing, m8, good luck on the rest of the hike
>>
>>1263362
>Did you do any training
Negative. I went from a office working city fatass who got inspired by Youtube videos to being on trail in Amicalola falls with no training at all. I got WHOOPED by those climbs. I quit at neel gap like a pussy. It was a good learning experience though, and I know what I need to do for my 2019 hike. Hiking yourself into shape is retarded as shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (3.22 MB, 3008x3432)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>1263362

Just saw this sign a two days ago while hiking to jump off trail.
>>
>>1270402
i just did a short 1.5 mile hike the other day up to Hanging Rock, NC and goddam did it kill my knees going down. definitely train with squats/deadlifts/stair stepper, at least i will be since i was sore like three days afterwards
>>
>>1268153
Yeah, I ran into a few. I'm a good looking guy, I guess, a bit naive because of my upbringing. Had a couple of them chat me up and then mention they were out of food (and usually damn near everything else - a lot of AT hikers suck at prep but women especially). First couple of times I shared, and was surprised with the "what else you got" interaction like we were trading instead of me just being nice - then once I had given them more than I thought I should, off trail BJ's happened. Fair enough, enjoyable for certain, but weird. First time kind of weirded me out by how "no big deal" it seemed to her.
>>
>>1268153
Oh, yeah, the old "baby wipe bath" offers. I got those back in 97 thru-hiking SoBo probably a dozen times. Usually starts with meeting an oncoming female hiker who stops to chat, then says something like "omg, wouldn't a shower and a candy bar be great right now?" Then she mentions something along the lines of "let's see what we got to trade" (one just said "Stone Soup?" which I didn't get until later.) Out comes a pack of baby wipes, she's got the "shower", wants you to bring the food/whatever else you got. Not gonna lie, I partook I think about four times (it can get sexually lonely on the AT long term.) One really was just a handjob wipedown, the others were more. Hadn't heard of it being part of the "culture" but it clearly was.
My daughter is about to turn 20 and wants to hike the AT, I've told her it's shit and try somewhere else. I hope that still isn't the culture there anyway. I regret now letting /out/ experiences be trashy street kind of behavior, just seemed like it was the norm at the time. Wouldn't want my daughter being exposed to it thinking that's acceptable - it really isn't.
>>
>>1270672
>>1270659
>>1268153

Never saw anything exactly so direct as that, but I have run into some weirdly "friendly" people while section hiking. Was probably obvious I had nice, relatively unused, equipment (about mid-trail) so I got some flirtation that felt odd, like it was directed toward having me "share" some of my stuff.
I've picked up section hikers off the AT to give rides into town or to the store, definitely had a couple actual offers but it seemed to be more along the lines of a thank you than an offer of payment.
>>
>>1269679
I think I heard about that. New York, right? I came through and a few shelters had big signs telling us to fuck off and camp somewhere else so we didn't get eaten by "problem bears."
>>
>>1263362
It's like walking in a park. Do PCT or CDT.
>>
>>1271022
someone else said PCT was a physically easier hike than AT but with better vistas, can you confirm?
>>
>>1267026
What's it like getting to an all-you-can-eat buffet, if you had that experience?
>>
>>1271058
Religious.

I hiked SoBo, so the first All-You-Can-Eat I found was in Gorham, NH (right after you've gotten out of Maine). NOT ONLY was it the first Buffet I'd seen in a trail town (excepting the Little Red Hen Diner's Italian buffet, but that's only one day a week, so most hikers aren't lucky enough to get that), but it was also the first McDonald's I'd found in a trail town.

To suddenly go from shelling out massive amounts to sate your hiker hunger in a diner, to being able to do so cheaply? Heaven.
>>
>>1266422

Not the guy you replied to, I've dedicated the last 14 years of my life to the same company. In return, I'm dann near the point where I'll have enough money saved up for retirement and I'm "only" 35. That's not the type of job you just quit and get another one later.
>>
>>1271080
You have almost enough to retire before age 35 yet you still have the wage slave mentality. Why not do what you want to do now?
>>
File: 81NpqRVrnEL._SL1500_.jpg (353 KB, 1500x1037)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
are sardines a good food to bring /thru/?
>>
>>1271143
Depends. The can is a pain in the ass to pack back out, but the food itself is a pain in the ass to take out of the can and transfer into a baggie, particularly if you're like me and really like the sardines that have been soaked in hot sauce.

I'd pack a can of sardines every now and again when I was starting to get tired of spam or the different flavors of tuna for lunch, as a change of pace.

That said, if you're willing to go through the shit of taking them out of their can, or if you find the holy grail and can get them can-less, go for it. Shit is GREAT for a hiker.
>>
>>1271154
someone told me they attract bears :(
>>
>>1271125
>understanding that a company has little incentive to let you take a six month vacation
>dude you've got a wage slave mentality

i thought this was a NEET-free board
>>
>>1271445
Staying with the same company your entire year is absolutely retarded in the current year. I've never been at a job more than 3 years and I've never received less than a 50% raise from getting a new job.
>>
>>1270627
Were you using trekking poles?
>>
>>1270627
Everyone has to start somewhere but a real hike would murder you. Do a couple more hikes there and at pilot, then do stone a time or 2. After that, if you want to get better, head up into pisgah.
>>
Only good thing about the AT these days is that it's a long straight shot to walk that is mostly in the shade. It isn't wild anymore unless you're a day hiker who thinks "wild" means hiking an hour without major roads, clearcuts, buildings, or groups of people. The other people you're going to encounter are about 1 in 3 batshit crazy and weird as fuck, 1 in 3 homeless hippie types, and 1 in 3 just doing what you are and want to be left alone.

But a shady walk in sort of mostly woods with only a few people an hour to bug you is still an okay thing. Just don't expect some pristine spiritual experience unless you're going to do all the "safety meetings" and stay stoned for half of it, in which case I guess you can remember it how you like. Reality is a bummer, dude.
>>
How much traffic is on the AT this year? Last year in around April, an AT thru-hiker was on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast and talked about his experience. So I figured thousands of his neo-hippie listeners would be storming the AT this year.
>>
>>1272338
There are thousands of neo-hippies on the trail every year.
>>
>>1270627
Genuine question, are you fat? Because your knees shouldn't be bugging you that much if you're normal weight
>>
>>1272459
I was thinking in addition to those.
>>
How much should I spend on gear for a 4.5 month through hike? I already have a tent and a lot of gear, but it's almost all quite heavy, (my backpack weighs 5 pounds for example)
>>
>>1272550
Depends how light you want it.
>>
>>1263362
Kek, not American, I have nothing to add but I love that sign.
>>
>>1271585
What field? How did you secure those raises?
>>
>>1272123
thanks for the advice m8
>>
File: th.png (148 KB, 314x383)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
I'm going to bring a cooler full of food and drinks and trade it for sex favors from hippy roastie cunts
>>
>>1272338
It's pretty crowded at camps down south during march-april, but even then when everyone's out hiking you don't run into too many on trail. It thins out a lot more midway through because most quit by then. Start a hike in Harpers Ferry or Maine and it's pretty empty for you.
>>
>>1271143
Have a beat vault, the scent on those and even the trash afterwards stinks like hell.
>>
File: IMG_20180511_160639.jpg (37 KB, 600x400)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1263362
Why would you start a whole thread about Thursday? You know a good thread died for this?
>>
imagine owning property right off the trail
i'd spend all day during the busy season out back barbecuing and drinking cold beers
i'd invite my friends and we could sit out and watch the show with delicious burgers and domestic beer while malnourished ultralighters stumble by
>>
File: file.png (114 KB, 243x342)
114 KB
114 KB PNG
AT has been getting rained on
>>
>>1273558
Actually a pretty cool idea.

Might be even more fun to have a couple of fake human skulls near the barbeque pit, and everyone in the party carrying a machete and staring a lot. Maybe offer a beer put insist on pouring into a glass with your back turned, and then smile big as you watch them drink it.

Get video.
>>
>>1273628
NC fag here. its def the rainy season, been a chance of rain like every day this week and continuing through next week (not constant just on and off). gotta be a not fun time for thru-hiking
>>
Any Brits here done the Penine Way? Pretty much the Britbong equivalent for the AT.
>>
File: 1520114512649.png (444 KB, 560x400)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
>>1273835
>267 miles
>>
>>1273835
roughly a tenth of the length of the AT
>>
>>1273996
Almost like our countries are different sizes or something.
>>
>>1273835
>Penine Way
I have not.

I have however done the Southern Upland way in Scotland. Amazing hike.
>>
>>1273558

i wouldn't want all of the crazies on that trail that close to my property
>>
>>1275309
how crazy are trail hikers honestly?
oh they have a trail name they're so weird! they didn't take a shower woahh and someofem smoke pot gosh
>>
>>1275367
t. crazy
>>
Hey guys, I'm driving up to the start of the nobo Appalachian trail in Georgia this weekend for a section hike. How many people am i gonna have to deal with?
>>
>>1275770
the thru hikers started like two months ago and are probably in virginia by now, but there will probably be a decent number of people hiking since it's memorial day weekend
>>
>>1273164
Tech
By asking for it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.