[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

#227-“Mama’s Day” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1266287

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
File: 10feeq.jpg (23 KB, 448x321)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
I fish for smallmouth, hybrid striper, walleye and musky frequently and have never understood why Largemouth Bass are so popular. Why do you guys like 'em?
>>
Threadly reminder that catch and release is immoral.
>>
>>1269391
Same reason small mouth is
>>
>>1267102
trout magnet jigheads are great for the 1in minnows. 1/64oz size 8 hook
>>
>>1269401
LMB don't fight nearly as hard tho
>>
>>1269391
They’re everywhere and hit everything. If carp hit spinnerbaits, people would probably go crazy for them too.

>>1269396
I target snakeheads and other invasives and sometimes I hook a native species like a LMB and release it. So it’s a net positive.

Plus a fish’s nervous system is one step above a rock.

>>1269421
I have some. Not sure if they’re trout magnet brand, but you can get tiny jigheads for them anywhere. They’re much smaller than regular 1/16oz or 1/8oz jigheads people use for all that other panfish stuff.

>>1269487
They’re everywhere.
>>
IM BACK BOYS!

striper run starts in a week and a half, shad spotted in the lower saco.

I organized all my tackle, polished my surf Rod's, and rebuilt my reels, busted out the GoPro.

First day out is next week, and I plan on updating the YouTube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=wPw4Qiv2d7I

This was 2 years ago (haven't really posted since then). But I'm glad to be able to get on the water again.

Any other Mainefags wanna link up and hit the surf?
>>
>>1269422
That's a spanish Mackerel
>>
File: IMG_20180503_194943.jpg (1.82 MB, 1944x2592)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>1269545
yo mainebub i've been wondering what happened to you. i've still got some of those flies you tied me, and i've started tying trash flies myself
>pic related
glad to see you're posting again, both here and on jewtube, good luck with the striper run!
>>
>>1269545
Strippers!!!
>>
>>1269391
largemouth bass are everywhere whereas a large percentage of the us doesnt have access to those other fish
>>
Is there a difference between using higher test line vs lower? Why should I risk using a 8lb line when I can just use 20lb or 30lb?
>>
>>1269587
you can throw lures further with lighter line and they have different boyancies and stuff
>>
Had a great day boys.

Took my friends to a little creek about 15 miles away and fished. Finally hit 2 smallmouth on a crawfish lure.

Got home and a cute girl asked me to walk with her around town talking until it got dark. Got her number.

Sorry forgot to get a pic of the smallmouths
>>
File: IMG_20180512_182835.jpg (51 KB, 500x281)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Git skunked in silverwood today
>>
i'm gonna build a pvc raft for fishing

god damn you americans and your $300 john boats
>>
>>1269644
>implying $300 is a lot of money
the muffler on my motorcycle costs more than that
>>
>>1269659
i was implying that they are ridiculously cheap in america
>>
>>1269660
oh i thought you were some immigrant who was like "$300? tats outrageous! who could ever afford that?"
carry on, though if you're in ohio or a shitstate like it you have to register it, which means it has to be inspected and deemed of minimum quality to be a water craft.
>>
>>1269644
Are john boats illegal for some reason where you are?
>>
>>1269644
just get a kayak
>>
>>1269665
nah, i live in south africa, anything with a motor under 15hp doesn't require a license or registration, and anything without a motor doesn't require anything

>>1269666
no, they aren't easy to find or cheap, even the used ones i've been looking at are priced around $1200 USD

i just want to make a small raft for shallow water fishing in the deeper pools, not planning on going out to big water
>>
>>1269396

Cry me a river bitch.
>>
>>1269671
okay here's what you should do
>fly to the united states
>buy two john boats, one with a motor, one without to save money
>tie them together full of like a month's worth of gasoline, food,and water
>launch in to the ocean and go back to south africa like this
>land the boats
>sell one to pay for your trip
>use the other for personal stuff
>>
>>1269682
>an aluminum boat in saltwater
>>
>>1269684
just laugh at the shitpost
>>
File: image.jpg (400 KB, 720x1280)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
>>1269665
Lol you have to get it inspected? Here it's basically just a tax to own a bot they could give a fuck less if it's actually water worthy.
>>
>>1269698
yeah ohio is fucked. i once saw a game warden give someone a ticket because they were fishing from an inflatable raft and he said, and i quote "if it floats, and it's in public water, it has to be registered"
>>
>>1269693
lol

>>1269699
that is completely fucked
>>
>>1269704
ohio is completely fucked, so...
>>
>>
going to a new place tomorrow to fish, targeting Mulloway, Bream and Whiting. What lures what best and sizes?
>>
>>1269707
my mouth is already watering
>>
File: SH-60_Seahawk.jpg (84 KB, 914x620)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Should I get pic related and a wireless fish finder like the ibobber to larp anti-submarine warfare operations?
>>
>>1269753

An RC version of pic related I should say, I don't have the budget for the real thing sadly.
>>
>>1269754
>>1269753
You should absolutely do this but know that those things are harder to fly than common sense gun control legislation. Could take a couple years of practice to gït güd
>>
File: SHALL.png (25 KB, 634x446)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>1269758

Yeah the big ones are gonna be a huge pain but I've flown smaller ones quite a bit antagonizing the local dogs.
>>
>>1269761
I had a gas powered one that I never really got the hang of. The little newfangled electric drone dealies practically fly themselves though.
>>
>>1269768

Actually just found a quad rotor that also has a clip to attach your fishing line and lure too with a built in fish finder so you can drop your shit right on top of them. Won't look as cool but that's neat as hell.
>>
>>1269707
What the fuck is wrong with your thumb
>>
>>1269819
Too much masturbation
>>
Anybody know if lake trout take dry flys / floating bait right after the ice thaws? I'm getting conflicting opinions ranging from yes to no you need to aim five feet deep
>>
>>1269856
If you see laketrout rising to eat then it should be pretty obvious. If not you’re probably going to be in for a day of practicing your casts.

Why limit yourself to one type of fly though? Or are you just asking in general?
>>
>>1269705
That’s why I moved to South Carolina from Ohio.
>>
>>1269642
I wanted to go this weekend but I got called in for jury duty tomorrow, fucking blows, I didnt want to rush home
>>
>>1269872
Just asking in general, I've got wet flies and indicators as well. I'm fly fishing for the first time next weekend since last year I went up to Algonquin Park I had my spin cast and I got skunked all week until I put a marshmallow on a hook and was pulling small brown trout out as fast as I could cast and I figured a fly rod was worth trying
>>
File: IMG_20180513_120001.jpg (240 KB, 1080x1080)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
Superior Chadmouth bass fights two times harder at four pounds than a virginmouth does at 6
>>
Anyone know the best Micro pen fishing rod for $30 or less? I want one I can toss in my camping back.
>>
>>1269904
You can always tie a dry fly on top with a dropper hanging off the bottom of that if you think it will be effective
>>1269914
Correct
>>
>>1269914
Superior snek can walk on land and wipe out your bass populations by being the alpha predators. Mr. Steal Yo Girl Snek.
>>
>>1269933
Walking on land is a myth spouted by retards. The superior chad mouth has no fear for such a pleb tier invasive as they pose no threat to their environment. Northern Snakeheads are beta as fuck and hardly if ever caught
>>
Threadly reminder the United States has no population goal, or plans to reduce population. And in fact incentivizes states and counties to increase population as much as they can.

Your fishing spots will all be protected drinking water reserves or slabs of concrete in 100 years.
>>
File: giant-snakehead-tackle.jpg (102 KB, 500x334)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>1269944
The beta northern snakehead vs the chad giant snakehead
>>
>>1269964
I’ll be dead in 100 years who gives a fuck lol
>>
>>1269964
>the United States has no population goal, or plans to reduce population
No plans huh?
>>
>>1269964
socially stable apex predator populations regulate their own population, humans don't get social stability because they are only smart enough to romanticize ideal societies where all of their self given entitlements are fulfilled and their fears are quelled which leads to a cycle of deferred suffering that can only be survived and not escaped
>>
My dad loves to go fishing, he's got a boat and everything but his tackle box is older than I am. It fucking reeks, it's completely broken, and everything inside is 10+ years of sea-water crusted shit.

I want to get him a new box + fishing equipment for his birthday coming up. He's already got great poles so it's just accessories.

We're in the NYC area, so I was thinking:

* 10 of each: 1 gram, 2 gram, 4 gram, 8 gram weights
* an assortment of bluefish & flounder hooks (what he primarily does)
* fishing line (though i'm not sure which kind to get
* a filet knife
* some baitless lures for fluke/flounder

is there anything else i'm glossing over that's typically in a box?
>>
>>1270002
Maybe some wire for the bluefish
>>
>>1270002
Maybe get him some clear tackle box/trays, i.e. Plano 3600 and then a giftcard to bass pro? That way he can pick what he wants and still have his tackle organized and in good shape.
>>
>>1270002
If you don’t know anything about fishing just get him a gift card. Don’t be selfish and try and get something he might not want/need. Fisherman love gift cards
>>
I am trying to get started. There's a creek nearby, so until I have time to drive a couple hours to a lake, it's where I'm fishing.

There are some trout(?) of some sort, some bluegill, and a shitton of tiny fish I can't identify (about four inches long, give-or-take). So for some catch-and-release, what should I put on the end of my line? Lures (if so, what?) or worms?

I went out this morning with some lures. In the spot where I was, one large trout kept chasing the smaller fish from the deeper parts of the creek. It chased a lure once, but did not even try to bite it. At best, the other fish looked at the lures, then swam away.

I admit I'm clueless with what to try next.

I just want to have a couple hours of fun on some days off.
>>
>>1270009
Seconding this
>>1270002
Take your dad to the nearby tackleshops in the area. I'd recommend crossbay bait and tackle, fisherman depot or pro fishing tackle in queens. If you're in brooklyn head for Bernie's in sheepshead. In the city head for capitol and dream fishing tackle. The bronx you have to go to city island to Jack's or Island tackleshops.
>>
>>1269964
Don't worry I'm killing myself as soon as I hit 50
>>
>>1270011
Small, size zero - size 2 in-line spinners. Get the cheap packs that have 3 or 4 in them. Odds are you’re going to lose a few so that’s why I don’t recommend buying the more expensive single packs. Secondly, small minnow sized rapalas and similarly profiled hardbaits will work. Good ol’ worm, hook, weight and bobber will never not catch fish, but sometimes other baits will do better. If the creeks water is crystal clear, stick to more natural colors and realistic minnow patterns for the hardbaits. If it’s stained, usually a chartreuse or darker profile bait will do better. You can get a small arsenal for a creek for not much money. Try different things out and see what catches fish. If you see a fish come real close to your lure and sometimes follow it, try and pause the lure for a split second here and there, that sudden stop can sometimes get them to take. If they follow it once and you never see it again but know it didn’t swim away, that’s when you change lures, try and tie on the same lure it was interested in but in a different color. Sometimes you’ll need to switch to a few different lures for picky fish to finally strike.

If you wanna get autistic with it a 3-4wt fly rod with appropriate flys would do well also.
>>
>>1270022
>>1270009
>>1270006
>>1270005
thanks for the advice anons, i appreciate. it looks like i'll get him a nice tacklebox and a giftcard so he can fill it up himself.
>>
>>1270028
>If you see a fish come real close to your lure and sometimes follow it, try and pause the lure for a split second
I did pause. It just turned around. I'll consider your advice!

Also, does time of the day matter? It was a nice cool morning, so I wonder if that had any effect?

My current lures include a couple spinners: One with a 'body' then a tail, one with just a tail, and one spoon; some very small (an eighth-ounce jug head with a small hook) rubber minnow about an inch long (the one which was chased), a silver-bottom rattle minnow, and today I've added some smaller rubber minnows (both dark and bright, in natural colors), and an artificial worm.

I do have some small hooks and some worms to use, which will be my first attempt when I return later today.

The creek is very clear, ranging from an inch or two deep, to maybe two feet deep. I've read that in shallow water, bluegill might be skittish, but I'll keep trying.

Also, the large trout (I don't know what kind of fish, really; brown(?) with a very dark stripe down its side) has been in that area for a while, and there's another, larger, one in a pool a bit farther down.

This creek relies more on heavy rains to wash larger fish in, so I don't really plan to keep anything.
>>
Hi guys, I got a rod, reel, and some basic tackle and I'm about to go fishing.

I'm going to fish off the dock at a local lake stocked with panfish, carp, and yellow eprch.

I'm planning on using a setup of bobber, sinker, size 6 hook, and worms. I'm assuming a size 6 hook is a good size for most of these fish, would it be too small for the perch?
>>
>>1270036
>Also, does time of the day matter? It was a nice cool morning, so I wonder if that had any effect?

Yeah, depending on where you live, as the days get hotter and the water temps start to jump, early morning and late evening will be best. You wanna hit that period when the water is warming up from the night but not peak temp that it will reach mid day. If the water is real warm the fish will be very sluggish and might not hit anything you throw at them.

Sounds like you have a good collection of lures to experiment with.

>Also, the large trout (I don't know what kind of fish, really; brown(?) with a very dark stripe down its side) has been in that area for a while, and there's another, larger, one in a pool a bit farther down.

Could either be a rainbow trout, or a largemouth bass. Once you have a good idea what the two of those look like you should be able to tell which one it is.
I’m inclined to think it’s probably a bass but I could be wrong.
>>
>>1270078
If those panfish include bluegill you might want to go with an 8, it is still in the perch zone but a bit smaller.
>>
Why is there not a federal fishing license?

>Be otr trucker
>Take breaks near the water all the time
>can't fish because i don't want to pay 30 dollars for a 1 day non resident fishing license so I can wet a line for an hour or two.
>>
>>1270178
Because how else would states afford to pay game wardens to dress in plain clothes at lakes and then fine people for having a fish half an inch over the limit?
>>
File: 20180513_163855.jpg (116 KB, 715x953)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>first cast of season, caught a small perch on a fuckin brushhog of all things
>second cast, caught pic related
Oh. I didn't want to fish anyways.
>>
Are treble hooks inhumane? I was catching smallies on an inline spinner and so many dink perch were committing sudoku on a treble hook bigger than their head that I switched tackle
>>
>>1270178
Although there are federal regulations for some species, licensure is a power of the States, not the Federal government.

I agree that more States need to offer longer term non-resident licenses, but it is their decision.

Nor should that change. In fact, the Federal government has usurped far too much power from the States, and needs to be significantly reduced.
>>
>>1270190
Eh, it’s kinda the perchs dumbass fault. Not much you can do about it. I agree though after a fish fucks itself up it’s hard not to rethink your methods. For smallies I like Texas rigging plastics and even with a single ewg hook I’ve had smallies choke it way too far down and it ends up killing them. When ever it happens I immediately stop fishing and always feel like shit for the rest of the day.

Unrelated side note: when I’m perch fishing and dinks gut hook themselves, I put them in ziplocks and freeze them to give to a local animal shelter that has a bald eagle they are caring for and that thing loves eating the perch I bring him.
>>
>>1270002
As others have said, just get him a gift card or something. Most fishermen have some severe autism about what kinds of hooks they use, brands, sizes, weight types and sizes, etc.

I have been given tackle by people who don't fish on a few occasions and I don't recall ever using any of it aside from maybe a pack of hooks out of like $60 worth of stuff.
>>
>>1270183
That's why I gave up baitcasters in the 90s. People told me there were techniques to prevent birdnesting, but none of these people used a baitcaster, and none had any actual advice.
>>
>>1270202
You big faggot can't even train your thumb to skim the spool.
>>
>>1270195
>Local news story : Bald eagle chokes on fish hook.
>>
>>1270211
What a poor, poor child, leaping to insults rather than anything actually constructive. So you expect people to know a learned skill immediately upon touching a piece of equipment? I know, you had someone else in your life who taught you these things. We didn't all.

But that's alright.

Your world will collapse one day.

May the cheese slide off your pizza whenever you pull a slice.

I have thusly cursed you to misery.
>>
>>1269930
just get a 4 piece rod in a hard case and strap it to the outside of your pack, unless you're an some kind of an UL autist it'll be fine.
>>
>>1269933
You ever eat your sneks? Just curious because I've heard they're supposed to be pruddy gud.
>>
>>1270215
>I know, you had someone else in your life who taught you these things.

nope, in fact I was the first of anyone I know to buy one. I spent two weeks at a pond teaching myself. Try not being a dumb faggot brainlet and get gud
>>
>>1270202
That's the first time I had one anywhere near that bad, but it's the start of the season; I'm out of practice. This one happened because it snagged on a branch I didn't see when I looked around.
>>
>>1270078
Well guys, I caught a bullhead.

>tfw it swallowed the hook and there was no way to get it out so I cut the line and now I feel bad
>>
File: IMG_20180506_162227.jpg (1.09 MB, 1944x2592)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
Tell you what man I love Bass fishing I enjoy it more then fishing a river and get nothing but catfish out of it.
Bass are some amazing fish I'm pretty impressed with them for some reason.
>>
>>1270298
Nice! Shame he swallowed it. Cutting the line was the best thing you could have done. Most retards would have ripped it apart trying to get the hook out just to throw it back in already dead so good one you for knowing better.
>>
>>1270300
Largemouth are pleb tier, start investing time and energy into worth while species and you’d probably be amazed what’s out there
>>
File: pole.jpg (166 KB, 1651x717)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>1269930
AHAHA dude I bought a pen rod and reel off amazon for like $15 I've been taking it out once in a while I'm trying to see if I can get video of me getting a hit from a 1-2lbs large mouth bass and see the rod break the minute the Bass hit's the worm.

By the way I put some Power Pro 15lb green moss line on that reel so that's the only thing that's not gonna break.
I need to buy maybe 4 batteries for my JVC hand held camcorder I only have 1 battery and it drains in about a half hour pretty sure it's due to the heat from the Sun.

>>1270300
Is me by the way...
>>
File: 20180513_193929.jpg (119 KB, 715x953)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>1270183
>everything went better than expected
I might head back out in a few then...
>>
File: shot0011.png (1.12 MB, 720x540)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>1270305
Ha, please I've caught 8 foot Sharks when I was a around 12.
I'm not really interested in other fish take in mind I live in Florida and anytime I want ''when'' Goliath grouper season is running and go out and catch one.

I'm not a fan of going out deep sea fishing for one thing I'm overweight I'm fair skinned so I burn fast screen only helps for so long, I get sea sick.
Yeah I know I'm a pleb so what?
>>
>>1270323
dude I have no idea how you can go bass fishing if you live in florida, close to the coast. i like bass fishing but if i had other options bass would be on by my low priority.
>>
>>1269684
aluminum doesnt rust dumbass its not real metal
>>
>>1270323
Largemouth are pleb tier. It’s not up for debate.
>>
Any of you guys pickle fish? Getting a fishing license and aside from stuff like trout there are shit tons of suckers which gotta be pickled, any one got a source on some good recipies
>>
>>1270312
Is that 40lb test?
>>
>>1269587
>>1269589
This. Also lighter line typically fits more length. On my small Shakespear reel I can fit maybe 30 yards of 20lb test vs nearly 90 yards of 7lb
>>
>>1270274
The only people that eat them are asians and asians will eat a decrepit carp from the outtake of a sewage treatment plant
>>
>>1270332
Are you like my friend who hates bass?

>Calls them gay ass bass
>Drinks as he fishes and gets madder and madder about bass the more he drinks
>Loses his shit if he catches a bass
>>
>>1270202
>>1270211
>>1270215
>>1270281
Some people just can’t use baitcasters
My dad has tried time and again his whole life, I on the other hand picked one up for the first time this year and got the hang of it in like 20 minutes
>>
>>1270343
Looks like some heavy ass braid. I remember going to the lake once and found strands of like 100lb braid that looked like someone was getting ready for some deep drop fishing.
>>
>>1269381
>crotch tattoo
I bet she smells infinitely more fishy than the dolphinfish.
>>
>>1269511
LMB won't bite dick squat in my area. But you can catch hundreds of crappie in a day with minnows.
>>
>>1270082
>Could either be a rainbow trout, or a largemouth bass.
It's a bass. There were a lot today. Apparently there's an opening beneath a pipe that crosses the creek, and a lot more fish make their way through than I thought!

Any way, I caught my first five fish in about 30 years today.
>>
>>1270310
>But who was phone?
Most phones could take the video you want.
>>
>>1269707
Give it back, Ty-
Oh, nevermind. Carry on, Aiden.
>>
>>1269944
They have a simple lung; crossing land while it's raining is a documented fact.
>>
>>1269964
Well, if we quit importing beaners and supporting illegal aliens it wouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>1270178
1 day in my state is $3, for what's it's worth, and like another $3 for stocked trout waters.
>>
>>1270195
>Unrelated side note: when I’m perch fishing and dinks gut hook themselves, I put them in ziplocks and freeze them to give to a local animal shelter that has a bald eagle they are caring for and that thing loves eating the perch I bring him
Based.
>>
>>1270346
And lobster used to be prison food. Carp taste like shit, but snakehead is great, especially for people that only like mild fish. It doesn't taste very fishy at all.
>>
>>1270403
Not all States have such affordable licenses. Some are quite pricey.
>>
>>1270343
Suffix 832 40lb. Good eye. We have a bunch of retard-huge cats and carp around that I like to fish for sometimes, but I usually run a lighter flouro leader.
>>
File: image.jpg (1.97 MB, 4032x3024)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>1270178
Do you really want the fuck up of the federal gov to have a say in what goes on in your states water?

>>1270193
+1

>>1270202
Get gud fggt

>>1270323
I'm with ya anon. I really like saltwater fishing, and I want to move to the coast at some point, but there's something about bass fishing that I love.
>>
>>1269933
What reel? Garcia?
>>
Skunked today
Mission failed, we'll get 'em next time
>>
File: 20180513_221629.jpg (554 KB, 2560x1920)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
i was the only guy at a dam full of cats, crappie and carp today that caught anything because everyone else is a retard throwing cranks and stupid huge lures in a ridiculously high pressured area

threw out some size 4 baitholders on a two hook rig with a bobber and stuck the hooks with corn, was pulling fish in for the entire hour before sunset while everyone else was watching and catching nothing

caught 3 cats, 2 carp, a little rock bass and had a blast watching some little minnows and baby carp chow down on some corn i threw in for them

>tfw only been fishing since february
>>
Anyone have experience catching alligator gar? I been seeing some lately, big bois. I want to catch them but they don't seem interested in my little rapala
>>
>>1270439
use something cut up and bloody, catch some shad, carp, bluegill and cut them up or use them as live bait

gar don't typically go for lures, they're ambush and opportunist predators that stalk and shadow the most abundant source of food, they're not really that interested in chasing for meals

i like to suspend cut bait or chicken liver on a circle hook with a bobber since they don't seem to like hanging out on the bottom in the warmer weather, puts it right in front of them and they can follow the scent right to it

problem with gar fishing is you're gonna get a lot of catfish and turtles too, so be prepared to have to reset your bait often
>>
>>1270439
tie a frayed piece of rope to the end of your line, their teeth will get tangled in the rope and you can reel them in.
>>
>>1270454
that's fucking stupid, if the line snaps or it bites through the line the fish is out there with a bunch of rope tangled in its teeth unable to eat
>>
>>1270454
>>1270462
Do people even use that for a fish that big?
>>
File: 1507992634886.jpg (36 KB, 657x527)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
how are your guys local comfy spots? they just closed down fishing at harveston locally here this year and the temecula duck pond as well.

my favorite place pond park is now overcrowded and it wasn't very big to begin with

we also got menifee lakes about 15 miles away but you have to dodge homeowners patrol and lake elsinore about the same distance but i never really liked it
>>
>>1270476
> being inland in california
You have my condolences. You are getting all shitty bureaucracy of california without good weather and decent coastal fishing. What is your fastest drive to the nearest coast line?
>>
>>1270445
Sweet thanks anon! He was hitting minnows on the surface 10 feet in front of me, I was basically sight fishing. I bet if I had thrown something like that I'd have gotten him
He was only about 24inches long, think I would need a steel leader or would my braid be fine?
>>
>>1270349
It’s mostly just a meme. I love catching any type of fish if I’m being honest

>>1270393
That’s a good thing for you then, those largies will be a good challenge for you you to learn how to catch. You said you have some rubber worms and what not, I’d probably give those a try first if you wanted to target the bass. Google Texas rig or wacky rig. That’s a good presentation for largies. Congrats on the catch today, sounds like you’ve got a nice little honey hole. Take good care of it and you’ll have an endless supply of entertainment

>>1270398
That’s not “walking on land” though. They still have to be partially submerged or they will dry out quick. When I looked it up I read it’s an adaptation they developed to allow them to cross thin layers of water that would form during the flood season in Asia and they would use that bit of water to flop themselves to a deeper pool. It’s not like your gunna pull up to a pond in Florida and see a army or snakeheads charging the banks of the pond as they march onward to the next body of water on a quest for domination.
>>1270437
Doesn’t it make you feel good to show those plebs how it’s done? Surprised they up to you to ask what you were using.
>>
>>1270476
I came back home from college to find that my favorite lake has had the trails bulldozed and gravel laid, as well as a rope fence. It doesn't really effect the water but I'm still upset that they're developing a perfectly good trail, despite a couple of tree roots that people might have tripped on or some shit.
>>
>>1270431
Yeah that was just a Cardinal SX. I think they’re only around $39. Have had it for years and no issues at all. The rod that came on the original combo for around $70 wasn’t bad either but I broke it doing something stupid so it’s on a Fenwick Eagle now.
>>
>>1269699
Jesus man. I can’t believe that. I was at Mosquito lake and some guy had a sheet of plywood sitting on buoys with a canopy on it and a motor. How the hell do you register that thing
>>
I went pond hopping yesterday after a skunk streak. I promised myself I would bring one rod and one bait. I brought a spinning setup with weightless trick worms. Caught 10 in an hour and a half. Is fishing competely mindset or what?
>>
>>1270753
confidence means everything
>>
>>1270753
Yes. Just be yourself ;)
>>
>>1270753
Pond fishing is more straight forward. Sometimes, you just have a good days when fish just doesn’t care any eat anything. Pond’s condition typically don’t change drastically. Specific pond will almost always stay the same with the same turbidity and same structure
When you are in river or in saltwater, more options can help you in more drastic change of condition
> current strength
> depth change based on tide
> whether there is debris and vegetation on that day or not
> water clarity
> wind
> significant structure change day to day due to current
> how far you have to cast in a particular spot.
>>
>>1270742
maybe he didn't and just hasn't gotten caught, or maybe he got an inspector who didn't give a fuck, or maybe the guy who gave the ticket to the guy in the inflatable raft was just a cunt trying to meet a quota
>>
File: s-l1600 (3).jpg (110 KB, 1147x1147)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
anyone fish blades? do they cast well?
looks like they would tumble.
thinking of picking a couple up to vertical jig but wondering can i cast an retrieve them like a lipless crank?
>>
File: IMG_20180506_145128.jpg (1.51 MB, 1944x2592)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>1269381
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWei_KjOuvg Had fun out fishing on the 6th of May.
>>
>>1270863
I fish blade baits in current they work really well when you fish them deep and yo yo them up and down the water column. In japan they fish blade baits in saltwater and I wanna try that here.
>>
>>1270584
>sounds like you’ve got a nice little honey hole. Take good care of it and you’ll have an endless supply of entertainment
I think I do! I landed five fish yesterday evening: Two spotted bass, two green sunfish, and a bluegill. Nothing was large enough to keep, so I know I won't be taking dinner home from there any time soon.

There's been what appears to be a much larger (now I know) bass hanging out farther down, but my home State's laws are so fucked I don't know whether I can keep it, regardless of its size.

Next weekend I plan a short drive to a nearby river, to fish the top of an old dam.
>>
I found out the local lake allows fishing until 11 pm so i’m going night fishing tonight. Any tips? I have never been night fishing before.
>>
File: flatboi.jpg (199 KB, 454x605)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
Got a legal one early in the season. Pretty good start of the year so far for me
I was casting in one spot with 3 different lures for 2 hours which is unusual for me as I typically don't stay in one spot often. I was really confident in that spot with an incoming tide though and finally got the pay off as the tide was at top peak.
>>
>>1270916
nice catch. what lures?
>>
>>1270930
LC surf pointer 115mr ms anchovy. I was using a 4 inches swimbait and LC flashminnow before that but no bite. Either the fishes didn't move in yet earlier or the extra flash and wider action of the surf pointer got the fish attention better for this instance.
>>
>>1270912
Head lamp.
>>
>>1270753
No. Last week I went out twice to fish some beds. Got a couple of decent fish by throwing a wacky worm. Went out today, saw a TON of nice bass. Very confident in the wacky worm, I threw
Junebug and Green Flash, only got an ultra dink, maybe 6 inches. Still cool seeing all the big girls cruising around, though.
>>
How can I get started fishing in the Bay Area? I have never done this before.
>>
>>1270960
The good news is that you're at least relatively close to water.

Look into fishing regs in California. Buy a license.

You can get a usable rod and reel combo, with line already on, for not a whole lot of money. I'd recommend maybe a Shakespeare combo for the $30 to $60 mark, 7 feet, 12 to 20lb line.

Get some hooks (4/o circle hooks), weights, and some raw meat (like chicken liver).

Cast. Wait. Reel in fish.

In the mean time, talk to people, watch youtube, read articles. You'll have a lot of fun experimenting with other methods.
>>
>>1270970
Cool! Thanks a lot.
>>
FG knot? More like fuckin gay knot. Lost my favorite spinner.
>>
>>1271005
you tied it wrong then. any knot is subject to failure if you tie it wrong.
>>
>>1270396
what
>>
>>1270904
A big bass, regardless if it is legal to keep, isn’t somthing you’re gunna wanna eat. Largemouth by itself isn’t that great of a freshwater fish to eat and eating bigger ones makes it even worse. You’d be a lot more satisfied with some nice size bluegills.

Just be careful with your harvesting, if you’re not you can end up cleaning out a population before you know it.

>>1271005
It’s objectivly one of the strongest knots you can tie for a line to leader connection. Only have yourself to blame
>>
>>1270916
Is that a flounder or a halibut?
>>
>>1271040
It's a california halibut but it doesn't get nearly as big as the pacific halibut. Halibut is just one type of flounder anyway. I'm not sure what is the qualification for a fish to be group into "halibut" as opposed to fluke or flounder w/e. California halibut only get barely bigger than the winter flounder or fluke on the east coast. Some people even call it glorified west coast fluke.
>>
>>1271059
Ah I see. I'm from CA too and I have a REALLY hard time catching those fuckers. I can only catch them July-October near baitfish schools within an hour of sunrise. I haven caught a legal one since 2016
>>
>>1271059
>flounder or a halibut

halibuts are flounder. flounder is a general term for flatfish
>>
>>1271059
Opps, I meant summer flounder
>>1271072
I've been catching one legal every year with countless short in between. Perhaps the my beach is simply a good spot for them. Perhaps you can catch them more if you are more confident in targeting them more even if baitfish aren't there. They typically like deep structure trough that are close to the beach or the inlets. I actually have gotten bites just when the sun starts going strong and the water warm up. I've gotten big ones as late as 10 am - 11 am. They like water with small swell, bright sunlight, and warm water. They have good camouflage and hunt by sight so they don't mind the sunlight and clear water during the mid day
>>
File: rodeotime.png (1.17 MB, 1081x877)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
>>
>>1271092
>>
>>1271021
>Just be careful with your harvesting
I will be. There's not really enough to even consider taking home from this creek. I also don't plan on keeping more than one meal at a time.

You say bass aren't that good. I've seen a lot of people talking about how much they like them.

As far as 'large,' it might be a couple pounds. It's large for the creek. I plan on fishing a proper river this weekend.
>>
>>1271106
If you are down south, eating bass is more common. In the north there are so many species that taste way better that there is no point in eating them. Even the superior chad mouth makes for better table fair compared to largies.
>>
File: 546548.jpg (64 KB, 960x540)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1271098
>>
so i just learned that the point of a sliding sinker on a carolina rig is not to let line out, but to let it hit the glass bead and make noise. i was always confused why those ready-made carolina rigs were so short.
>>
>>1271130
The weak should fear the strong
>>
I’ve recently decided to try fishing out as a new hobby but I have no idea what kind of rod to get I live near two lakes and plan to fish just off the shore/ on a dock. I was thinking of getting a telascopic rod but the one I saw was kinda flimsy looking and I wasn’t sure if it was right. I don’t know what kind of fish are in the lake but I assume it’s your average northeastern fish. I’d prefer something on the cheaper side as I don’t plan to go pro or anything (0- 30 dollars preferably). Thanks
>>
Id recommend a spinning combo and googling a tutorial on how to use a spinning (legit takes about 15 minutes to learn. Also don’t go too cheap because you don’t want one that going to break on you and have to buy another

http://www.abugarcia.com/abugarcia-combos-spinning-combos/abu-garcia-ike-dude-spinning-combo/1373554.html#srule=price-low-to-high&sz=15&start=17
>>
Can this thread die already
>>
Anybody have a good telescoping spinning rod they can recommend?
I'm looking for something to pack with me and fish creeks for trout when I'm backpacking.
>>
>>1271198
the only telescoping anything that's ever going to be worth the money is tenkara shit. get a multi piece travel rod like the fenwick eagle travel rod, it breaks down in to fairly short segments and is going to be infinitely better than any telescoping rod on the market.
>>
>>1271202
Thank
>>
>>1271198
I'd recommend the kastking blackhawk rods for a good quality telescopic compared to no name brands. Japan makes high quality telescopic rods but they come at a steep price. I wanted to get the Daiwa tripleB but it was around 200$
>>
>>1270960
Use a 1/4-1/2 oz jig head with 3-4 inch paddletail soft plastic like big hammer, mc, etc.. Just cast, let them sink, and steady retrieve. It's the very basic set up that is solid for all dock / bay fishing
>>
File: IMG_20180515_000914.jpg (1.94 MB, 2592x1944)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
i've taken mop flies to a new level of autism because i have too many mop bodies to not tie mop flies. they either get tangled when im dead drifting them or get their tails nipped by bluegill. i've solved both of those problems
>pic related
>>
Lads, guy who went night fishing here (also the same guy who had a bullhead swallow a hook yesterday)

I am happy to report that I was catching nonstop bullheads as soon as I could get a baited hook in the water.
>>
What are some good all round lure colours? On a budget and wanting to start fishing with lures. Should I be going for natural or bright colours? Going after perch, whiting, bream, etc nothing fancy
>>
>>1271253

>>1270028
> If the creeks water is crystal clear, stick to more natural colors and realistic minnow patterns for the hardbaits. If it’s stained, usually a chartreuse or darker profile bait will do better.

I've had some good recommendations from posts in this conversation arc.

Here's what I've directly observed this weekend:
I bought two colors of Renosky Keystone Minnows, the smallest they make, for some panfish. One color, the bass and sunfish devoured. The other, the fish investigated, and ignored.

I'd say be prepared to spend a few bucks on some doubles -- one drab (I have a bright green lure I thought was close to natural, but it almost glows in the water!) green or brown, and one brightly colored. Fish one, see how it works, and try the other, and see how it works out.

I think for about ten bucks, you could get a rather comprehensive collection of lures.
>>
>>1271253
White, gold and junebug
Junebug is particular for freshwater
If you are in saltwater then white, silver (flash), and black/purple
>>
>>1271253
Honestly, 3 colors will cover everything. Chartruese for something bright, Watermelon for something natural, Junebug for something dark.
>>
>>1269659
They arent that cheap unless second hand from meth head
>>
File: IMG_5179.jpg (58 KB, 814x500)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>1269684
>>
>>1270002
Your dad doesnt want a new tacklebox kid, trust me. Old fuckers love their old gear. It has character
>>
>>1270183
U have to tune it. Set the drag where the line will drop a little over a foot and stop. And set the spool break to your liking.
>>
>>1271253
White and silver always does the trick in fresh or salt
>>
>>1271198
I have this one. It's better quality than I'd expected, desu. It's nothing super great, but I can accept that, considering the benefits of collapsing down so small and not having a bunch of loose sections to manage, which can become a tangled mess if you leave it threaded up, and who tf wants to mess around re-stringing every time you get your rod out? Plus, it's cheap and ships fast.

Sougayilang Telescopic Fishing Rod with Reel Combos Set Portable Carbon Light Weight Travel Fish Kits https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ER5JM9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FoU-AbK4VVWES
>>
File: IMG_20180425_090412.jpg (1.68 MB, 2385x2973)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>1271005
You did it wrong. Landed this 7-pounder a few weeks ago. Flouro leader was tied to braid with the FG knot. The knot itself is stronger than the breaking strength of your leader if tied correctly.
>>
How the fuck do you catch fish? Ive been going fishing every day for the past week and me and my friends cant even get a single bite. We've been using worms and powebait. What are we doing wrong?
>>
>>1271504
You gotta find the fish.
>>
>>1271504
Git gud. But seriously, find the fish, maybe downsize the hooks, and keep trying.
>>
>>1271504
Location, time of the year, time of the day, and bait choice. In my experience location is the most important
>>
How big do bullhead need to be to eat? I’m considering going night fishing for them again tonight and I’d like to keep some to eat.
>>
>>1271603
Google your states fishing regulations. In my state bullheads have no regulations. Can keep any size you want
>>
>>1271606
I can keep 100 a day of any size in my state. Is there a size where they’re too small to be worth eating?
>>
>>1271608
That’s up to you to determine. Minority’s keep any size they catch.
>>
>>1271611
What size should a typical white guy who is willing to do some work but doesn't want to clean a whole fish for a mere 1/2 ounce of meat look for?
>>
>>1271780
If you can not see your hand when you hold the fish in your open hand it is good to keep.
>>
File: 20180513_110949.jpg (878 KB, 2560x1536)
878 KB
878 KB JPG
Aftermath of a weekend on the gulf, can't wait until snapper are in season.
>>
>>1271811
nice triggerfish. dont forget the jaw meat
>>
>>1271253
Blue and silver (F49 rebel minnow in specific) catches me everything from panfish to LMB
>>
>>1269550
DUDE SKID! NICE PATTERN
>>1269556
That spot looks familiar

I went out today to a spot that is very productive on this day each year. it's been a cold spring up here in Maine, I had no luck, on 3 sections of the saco. Hopefully they start filing in Thursday or Friday. It's going to be a late migration this year, which is awesome, they tend to stay longer when the migration is later.
>>
>Caught a bass
>Have always wanted to try eating a bass
>You can't keep bass until the 26th in this dumb state

And the picture I took of it is was truly awful.
>>
File: IMG_20180515_213706.jpg (1.03 MB, 1944x2592)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>1271844
thanks, though i managed to improve it a little by putting the uv resin in two layers so the rib shows up better
>pic related
>>
>>1270332
Only ppl who have never caught decent LMB say this. Maybe stick to cats n bait soaking
>>
>>1271526
>>1271552
>>1271574
I go fishing at like 3am. Ive tried lakes and the puget sound, but i vant even seem to get a bite. How do i find the fish?
>>
>>1271854
Why would I target such a pathetic fish when it’s superior Chad mouth cousin lives in the same water?
>>
>>1271286
Read
>>1270295
It's set up properly. I'm just a tard and didn't see a branch.
>>
>>1270584
> pull up to a pond in Florida and see a army or snakeheads charging the banks of the pond as they march onward to the next body of water on a quest for domination.

Wait that's not what happens in Florida?
>>
>that guy that walks around the pond talking to people one by one and asking about if they caught anything yet and then tries to correct things they are doing "wrong"
>that guy who forgot his cutters and uses his teeth
>that guy who throws his line right where someone is fishing and disturbs the water
>that guy who half jokingly half serious asks if everyone has a fishing license
>that guy who throws panfish back by flipping them 40 feet in the air and letting them belly flop
>that guy who starts screaming like he's blowing his load everytime he gets a bite
>that guy who lets his dog jump in the lake
>>
>>1271985
>>that guy who forgot his cutters and uses his teeth
that was me last weekend. what am i supposed to do, not fish?
>>
File: IMG955835.jpg (180 KB, 1200x1600)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
How big do you think this fish is? The bait hanging outta his mouth is about 2.5 inches long. Ive been slaying fish with a grub and small jig, slow retrive
>>
File: 1523388951903.jpg (53 KB, 444x468)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>1271985
>that guy who jumps in to adjust your drag without asking
>>
>>1271990
Do people really do this?
>>
>>1271987
Your dentist must love you
>>
What's a good finess 2500 size real under $250? I was thinking of the shimano stradic ci4+ but I wanna know if there is something comparable or better at that range
>>
>>1271993
I don’t think there is anything better (at least fame wise) than stradic ci4 for spinning reel at that price. Perhaps, if you are looking for a saltwater proof or a baitrunner then there might be other options but stradic ci4 simply dominates at that price mark ( though it can handle saltwater as well with good maintainence). For finesse freshwater, it is the one that everyone aims for.
>>
>>1271993

I have 3 Stradic Ci4+'s, they are worth every penny. I caught a 20lb carp on my 1000 series, thats just how excellent their drag systems are.
>>
>>1271992
forgetting my scissors happens like maybe once a year, im sure it's just as infrequent for most people. most of the times im able to borrow a blade. sadly not this time
>>
>>1272000
>>1271996
Awesome thanks guys, I'm gonna buy one tomorrow
>>
So they drained a significant portion of water from my local reservoir in Wisconsin for dam maintenance so the shoreline is about 20-25 feet back. So my question is, is that going to fuck the ecosystem during spawning season? Aren't there a TON of eggs right in 1-2 feet of water?
>>
Getting back into fishing after years. Mostly shoreline fishing for bluegill, perch, crappie, and bass. Why shouldn't I buy a 6' 6" Ugly Stick combo?
>>
File: IMG_20180217_224033.jpg (2.32 MB, 2592x1944)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
>>1272125
it's not so much "why shouldn't i buy x" as "why should i buy Y instead"
ugly sticks have a few merits, they're near indestructible, and hit well above their weight class, i use a medium power 7' ugly stick for some pretty dumb shit, and if all you really do is drown worms, then go for it, you won't be disappointed. if you would rather be fishing lures, however, a there are quite a few rods at a similar price point that will serve you better. for example, i have a shimano stimula that i very much like for finesse stuff, and that can be had off amazon for ~ $20 and honestly it would probably be perfect for you with 6 pound or maybe 8 pound mono. the berkley lightning stick is the bepis shill, i have no experience with it but it sounds solid enough. if you want something a little nicer, you could go for the fenwick eagle for ~60 bucks. what these rods offer that the uglystick can't is sensitivity and weight advantages, as well as better action. if you're just soaking bait, then those things don't really matter, you'll have a bobber to watch, or you'll be bottom fishing and see your rod tip bounce. but if you're fishing lures then you are going to be making a lot of casts, be holding your rod a lot, and be wiggling it constantly, and with a heavy rod like an ugly stick, that can get fatiguing, and you're going to miss a lot more takes with the ugly stick if you're doing finesse stuff like fishing worms or similar simply because you won't feel a light take.
this probably turned in to a text wall, so
>tl;dr
uglystick is fine if you are just soaking bait but if you're fishing lures you wan't a rod that has more sensitivity, less weight, and a better action
>picture unrelated
>>
>>1272125
Ugly Stiks have terrible, terrible action for working lures and the reels that come on those combos are plastic trash. If you spend $20 more you can get a much better Abu or Pflueger combo or maybe Bass Pro brand.

>>1271955
Yup. Florida is wild.
>>
>>1272184
>tfw most likely moving to Florida within 6 months
>>
>>1272184
Gx2's are a lot better than the older generation ugly stiks. For a 40$ rod it can't be beat. I was surprised to find out that they were more sensitive than a redbone rod that I bought for 10 dollars more
>>
File: ctrout.jpg (538 KB, 1600x810)
538 KB
538 KB JPG
>>1269642
I just got rekt trying to catch sea trout up in Norway. Fuck that fish honestly. I saw several follow the lure in, but no strikes at all
>>
Freshwater fishing off a canoe this weekend with the boys. Northern Illinois and going for pike and musky. We'll be in a medium sized lake, probably early morning. Any advice or recommendations for lures, locations, rods?
>>
>>1272206
>for a $40 rod it can’t be beat

Except gx2s are so trash they get embarresed by the $25 berkley lightning rod.
>>
>>1272231
or a $20 shimano stimula
>>
>>1272206
No. GX2’s are awful compared to other newer rods too. Berkley Lighting Rod is so much better at the same price. Plus the reels on the GX2 combos are trash.
>>
>>1272125
$20 Shimano Sojourn spinning reel and a $35 Pflueger Trion
or
$20 Shimano Sojourn casting reel and a $40 Quantum Pulse
Everything can be had at walmart and are decent enough to start out on
>>
>>1272353
*spinning rod
*casting rod
don’t know why I typed out reel both times
>>
>>1272231
berkley lightning rods are $40. the $25 berkley rod is the cherrywood hd
>>
File: 20180516_152700.jpg (1.78 MB, 2576x1932)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
What rod should I use for bass? Which one for cats, which one for pike? I'm not very good fisherman and i must learn
>>
>>1272405
are those your rods?
>>
>>1272405
for cats i use a baby duck on an ugly stick with 40lb braided trolling line with bolo snare knots just before the duck
>>
>>1272426
Yes
>>
>>1272432
You must be in shallow water then?
>>
File: 0512181207-1.jpg (934 KB, 1946x2569)
934 KB
934 KB JPG
>>1272214
Do you have croaker?
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Rx7TiDMB8
>>
>>1272460
me on the right
>>
>>1272214
Try perl white gulps, always nail the specs with that.
>>
>>1272435
did you buy them as a lot? seems odd that you'd buy so many rods and reels without knowing what is good for what.
>>
>>1272405
Right above the handle there should be specifications for the rod in each rod, list those off so That we can have proper information to help you without blindly guessing
>>1272454
Wrong kind of sea trout I think. Pretty sure he's a yuro fag
>>
First time posting on /out/. I have been fishing most of my life and I am 27. I live in Illinois so only have lakes, ponds and some rivers to fish. Just wondering if any of you guys watch youtube videos and if so do you know about Morning Tide Fishing?

https://www.youtube.com/user/MorningTideFishing/featured
>>
Can this thread die already
>>
>>1272537
Fuck off
>>
>>1272539
eat a dick fat kid.
>>
>>1272518
I buy them whenever I see them at garage sales

>>1272527
Ok.
Hp 30-6'6" med Lt spinning lure 1/8-3/8 trilene 4-10
4'6" lure:1/16-1/4 oz. Une:2-6lb
Ws:70 L-2 •7'0"• lure:(unreadable) 4-12lb line
Lr:30-6'6" lure:1/8-3/8 trilene 4-10 med. Lt. Action. 100 g.c.r
I know what lure and line and length is but the others I don't know. I also don't know what ones to use for what
>>
>>1272559
the first one seems like it would be good for finesse bass tactics (like drop shotting) with 6 or 8 pound mono or flouro
the second one is for panfish, put 4 pound mono on it
the third one could probably be fine for smaller pike lures and cat fish up to 5 pounds, i'd probably put the full 12 pound test mono on there
the last one sounds remarkably similar to the first one, and i think with that info you can kinda compare rods against eachother and kinda figure out what each rod is capable of
>>
File: 2-1.jpg (199 KB, 880x528)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
does anyone know about fish finders? is this garmin quickdraw contours shit worth it? trying to decide between the garmin striker plus 4cv and the garmin striker 5cv
>>
File: 234523452345.png (925 KB, 985x554)
925 KB
925 KB PNG
>>1271852
looks good!

day 2 of the Saco, no fish yet. saw a few sturgeons jumping, which was cool. within the next day or so the striper will file into the river.

Shad is being caught under the damn, but it's very very slow fishing. It's been a cold spring, the fishies are late to show up. ANY FUCKING DAY NOW.
>>
File: 646464.png (1.08 MB, 982x560)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>1272593
forgot my namefagging
>>
File: 1511748716969.jpg (60 KB, 960x720)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>1272593
>>1272595
thanks again. you wouldn't happen to know if american shad run in NJ would you?
also good luck on getting on to some fish pretty soon
>>
>>1272632
They do run in the Delaware, starts early May, they hang out in the river until early August.

Def worth fishing for! they can be tricky though!

Here is some footage from some guys in NJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFOF8jF1gtg

and here is a shad video of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Ba5LchQJk
>>
What are some good fishing shows to watch? Been watching extreme fishing with rObSoN gReEn but hes hard to tolerate, anything good? or good youtube channels?
>>
>>1272560
Thanks so much!
>>
>>1272636
no problem!
>>1272633
i only ask because there is a possibility i may wind up living amongst the guidos and used heroin needles because reasons. might be nice to actually have trout available n stuff, and strippers and stuff
>>
File: 1521115130456.jpg (28 KB, 264x292)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>bought 500 of various size hooks for 5 bucks on ebay
Anyone done this before? They cant be much worse than Eagle Claw stuff right?
>>
>>1272662
I mean worst case it's only $5 and I'm sure they'll work in a pinch. I wouldn't use them for ripping fish out of cover, but they're probably fine.
>>
>>1272662
i buy ebay shakey jig heads, ned rig heads, and circle hooks for catfish and so far they have all been fine
>>
>>1272537
Yeah they're those faggots who pop up on my recomended feed
>>
I need to buy a hat to wear fishing. Do I go with one of those hats with the little flies or lures on it, or do I go with a Bass Pro Shops hat? I currently wear an MLB hat which is great for baseball but not fishing.
>>
>>1272723
Just wear any hat you want to and invest in good sunglasses
>>
>>1272723
who cares if you're wearing a "fishing" hat?
its literally the same thing, it just has a different logo. go buy some polarized sunglasses and start fishing with the hat you've got and stop being autistic because literally no one but you cares what hat you're wearing
>>
>>1272723
I wear this ugly motherfucker and I love it. They don't float, though.

The Real Deal Brazil Real Deal Hat - Large (Canvas) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050T2TX2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_p9q.AbW22X37A
>>
File: image.jpg (1.65 MB, 2303x4096)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>1272729
>and stop being autistic
That means a lot coming from you skid
>>
File: 1524614559583.jpg (35 KB, 196x199)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>gutting some rainbow trout
>here but this one anon I think its pregnant
>knife goes in guts come out
>what the Fuck is that anon
>3 inches worth of some brown tire looking work is shoving out the mouth of the trout
>start thinking I have some crazy fucking trout parasite
>pull out
>worm nearly wider than the fishes fucking mouth, 8 inches long
>realize it's a synthetic that's been marinating in that fishes stomach for months
How the Fuck did it survive with that fucking thing in it?
>>
>>1272723
I typically tries to look least like a fisherman as I can when I go out fishing. I typically bring the minimal amount of gear and just wear normal stuffs like everyone else around the spots who are not fishing
>>
>>1272766
Been there

I think most plastics break down faster than people think. There’s no way the companies are allowed to make the baits out of the same material as 6 pack rings, right?
>>
>>1272750
i know it does. i admit my autism but i'm not "this isn't my fishing hat reee" autistic
>>
File: kzIFENf.jpg (57 KB, 500x685)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1272644
>>
>>1272586
Are you looking for lake or ocean?
>>
>>1272723
just get a camo hat. it has average stats for everything, whereas your mlb hat has high stats for baseball and low stats for fishing. Plus you get an additional buff during hunting season
>>
File: image.jpg (1.9 MB, 4032x3024)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>1272772
I mean I do have a "fishing hat" but it's just a regular ball cap. you can't buy your lucky fishin hat something just has to become your lucky fishin hat.

>>1272893
Stats on this one?
>>
>>1272906
Walmart/10
>>
>>1272906
+5 to fishing skill
-5 to other skills
Adds an additional 2% to base outdoorsman skill, does not stack with other items
>>
Why do people insist on taking pictures that make ordinary fish look gigantic? Nobody is fooled so what's the point
>>
>>1272959
Stupid people don’t know they are stupid
>>
>>1272959
You shut your whore mouth!
>>
>>1271992
honestly ive been using my teeth to cut my line my whole life lol. My teeth are perfect. Although it has been mentioned before how our family has great teeth genetics so idk. get gud I guess
>>
>>1272838
lake
>>
Let’s talk plastics. What are your preferred brands and why? Is there a company you like to stick with, or buy from all sorts? Big names or local guys?
>>
At bass pro right now, any reccomendations for walleyw ans bass lures???
>>
>>1273104
Zoom is my basic as they have tons of different stuffs and a lot of colors with good pricing for quality. Gulp is when I want some scent but their action isn’t great. Keitech is also good when they are on sale as they have scent and have good action. I also use a few more swimbait that are from local brand such as big hammer,mc, pearl, and mutant because they have specific profile and color I like. Those are a bit costly as well
>>
>>1272959
#keepemwet
>>
>>1273104
For me, it's the zoom super fluke jr, the best soft plastic bait.
>>
Can you fine lads recommend me a good fish landing net? I fish freshwater and something that can handle up to 10 lb fish should be plenty.
>>
>>1273249
https://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Sportsman-Seamless-Landing-Telescoping/dp/B001AMJ4K4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526601515&sr=8-3&keywords=frabill+rubber+net
>>
>>1273249
What a coincidence. I just got myself this net because I was concerned with fighting to land good size halibuts or other types of fish on slippery rocks. Eventually, I will lose an expensive lure, and the halibut and/or I will get hurt pretty badly. This one is rubber coated mesh so it’s decent midway point between a full rubber (heavy with high drag) and nylon ( rougher on fish and hooks can get tangled on them). I got it for $40 from a local store which is reasonable price. It’s very hard to find a good size rubber/rubber coated one under $30. It is collapsible and extendable handle which I might or might not need but it might be useful if I ever get a kayak anyway. I could have settle for a cheaper ones with just solid handle and no collapsible net but I would have pay for shipping to drive 20 min out to get for just $10 less anyway.
If you care about C&R, don’t get the cheap ones with rope and knots. Those will cuts into the fish’s fin pretty badly.
From my research
Shit ones with knots will run from $5-15
Knotless mesh will be around $15-30
Knotless mesh with rubber coatings are $25+
Full rubbers are $30+
>>
>>1273260
I bought one of those exact nets but it was Frabill brand. The whole triangle shaped piece of plastic that your thumb is covering snapped right off the shaft. Used it literaly twice.
>>
File: IMGP8312_.jpg (310 KB, 853x1280)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
the bluegill were biting, but the bass were not. why do bass just sit there doing nothing at 70+F
>>
File: 55u4dte7ugy01.jpg (523 KB, 1242x2208)
523 KB
523 KB JPG
>>
>>1273263
Hmm might consider just getting a solid one though
>>
>>1273284
I bet the bass were biting, just not where you were.
>>
>>1273104
zoom for flukes, gary yamamoto senkos for worms, reaction innovations for creature bait/jig trailers. thats pretty much all the soft plastics i use
>>
anyone have experience using flies with ultralight spinning setup? is it doable?
>>
>>1273174
How do you fish it because I’ve thrown it at just about every location I fish at and have never gotten a single hit. I try to cast it, let it sink for a sec and jerk jerk jerk repeat step 1
>>
>>1272723
I wear an American flag bucket hat for days that get balls hot out other then that I normally just fish in my day clothes
>>
>>1273358
I have some joeflies that work pretty well, you can clip whatever fly you want onto the spinner.
>>
File: 1447876168017.jpg (104 KB, 900x900)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
How many years have you guys been fishing and who taught you?
>>
>>1273385
those seem cool but spinners and I havent been getting along. I got so much line twist ive banned them from my tackle box. Also I want to try floating flies on the surface
>>
>>1273367
I would tell you but it's a secret, I found a killer way to fish it but I don't want it to become mainstream
>>
>>1273358
Yes, it is doable it you tie it on a drop shot rig or use a bobber.

>>1273402
This is not so easy. You can drift a fly weightless, sure, but don’t try reeling it back in because you’ll get awful line lay, leading to a bird’s nest
>>
>>1273367
I like it texas rigged or with a weighted swimbait hook. T-rig just bounce it off the bottom like any other Texas rig.
With the swimbait hook I like to let it sink to the bottom, then with the rod tip low do a short pull. This just makes it kind of glide off the bottom then shimmy back down. I dont want it to walk when I do this. Just glide in a straight line. Super subtle presentation.
>>
>>1273260
>>1273263
>>1273292
So I got this one for $30 one instead and will be returning the collapsible tmr. The moving part of plastic between the junction between handle and the net which does make me a bit nervous. There would be a lot of stress on that part. Compactness is not really an issue for me at the moment. I do hope that someone will come up with a better collapsible design and have the junction made from solid metal instead.
>>
well i went out fishing today. the river was running about 1,000 CFS and i usually fish it at about 300-500 cfs so it was really hard to find anywhere that was fishable, but i managed a few crappies. dinks but fun on my 4 wt
>>
>>1273433
Damn, fishing fast water is a pain in the ass. Bump
>>
>>1273390
Since I can remember, I used to cast an egg reel into the pool when I was like 2.
My dad taught me mostly
>>
I sometime see people take the fish out of the water and kill it. why would you ever not catch and release?
>>
>>1273528
To eat it retard
>>
>>1273529
Thats not fishing, thats just killing what the heck. Go to the store.
>>
>>1273530
You're kidding right
>>
>>1273531
>get a 10lb lmb
>kill it
>wow im so great

sound logic
>>
looking to start fishing. ive been with a friend so I think I can figure out the very basics. want a rod that collapses and is portable for backpacking,

https://www.amazon.ca/Okuma-VS-605-20-Voyager-Spinning-Travel/dp/B000MQTJW2?th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_24h4zvgasb_e

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075S54FY7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3KCJ5ZM5G2DKK&psc=1

two such examples
>>
>>1273532
I'm talking about fish that are actually good to eat, like catfish, gar, etc etc
>>
>>1273390
The earliest documented article of myself fishing was 6. My father let me skip school to go trout fishing and we ended up getting interviewed for the local newspaper. I was definitely fishing before then but to put a age on it would be too hard.

My father taught me the basics, how to spool a reel, tie a fisherman’s knot, general fishing information. He mostly panfishes so he only knows so much. My uncle taught me a fuck load, he taught me to be proficient northern pike and smallmouth bass fisherman. I’ve gradually been branching out and teaching myself a lot of different methods and techniques since. Fly fishing for example, don’t know a single person who fly fishes, never even saw someone doing it, but I decided 2 years ago to take it up and I’d say I’m pretty decent at it now. That was entirely self taught with the help of the internet
>>
>>1273496
especially with a fly rod. i did finally figure out how to roll cast though, so i'm proud of that. it wound up with me doing sub 12 foot casts in to eddies by undercut banks and i finally managed to get a few takes from crappie.
>>
>>1273390
3-4. I have a lot of relatives who took me fishing. My immediate family got a cabin for about 13 years in north eastern minnesota.
>>
>>1273593
>>1273390
since I was 3-4 years old*
>>
NEW
>>1273611
>>1273611
>>1273611
>>1273611
>>
How should I use my budget of $200 (minus $25 for my fishing license) most effectively to set up for shoreline fishing out of lakes, ponds, and canals for bass and panfish?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.