[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 129.jpg (295 KB, 512x512)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
Old thread: >>1281290

Search terms:

Agriculture - Permaculture - Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Berkeley Method Hot Composting - Hugelkultur - Rooftop Gardening - Vertical Gardening - Subsistence Agriculture - Square Foot Gardening - Shifting Cultivation - Polyculture - Composting - Ley Farming - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Co-operative Farming - Orchard - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Sugar Bush - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method - Ruth Stout No-work Garden - Rain Gutter Garden - Core Gardening Method - Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System

Animal Husbandry - Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees / Apiary - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish - Donkey - Ostrich - Worms - Snails / Heliciculture - Black Soldier Fly (BSF) - Beefalo - Guineafowl

Resources:

General Information, videos, and Tips(Version 2018-4-24): https://pastebin.com/fgtfcmLH
Beginner Fungi/Mushroom/Mycology Guide: https://pastebin.com/ddb6fAPS

Homegrowmen Thread Archives (WinRAR/WinZip/7Zip etc open rar archive files):

Threads "1" to 105 plus extras:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/lbotds76751ws79/Homegrowmen%20Threads%20Mar-20-2013%20to%20Sep-29-2017.rar

Threads 106 to 111:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/s1dycle6n9a06n5/Homegrowmen+Threads+Sep-29-2017+to+Dec-31-2017.rar

Threads 112 to 120:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9do2m6i125daocc/Homegrowmen+Threads+Dec+30+2017+to+April+6+2018.rar
>>
>>1286852
>>
File: 1493158085726.jpg (67 KB, 500x525)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>
One of my hens won't stop brooding. What do I do?
>>
>>1286863
also grow well, little pepper!
>>
I'm trying to grow potatoes in buckets and their about 12" tall now and need more dirt/be buried. My questions is do I have to use dirt or can I use straw?
>>1286875
Have more chickens or have more chickens to eat, trade, or sell. Or you could just force hen off and take eggs or eat hen.
>>
>>1286863
Grow well, little pepper!

Anyone here growing maypops?
>>
>>1286875
Get a plastic tote with about 4-6 inches of water in it. Take the broody hen off the nest and set her in the water so only the bottom of her body is in the water. Make her sit there as calmly as possible for about 8 mins or so. This will cool down the bottom of the chicken, the location where she sits on the nest. This doesn't work with all chickens, but I find it has a good rate of success and has been better than simply kicking the chicken off the nest.

Keep in mind that many chickens will freak out when you take them off the nest. However, it is like they have this timer that goes off. So, you move them off then like 30 seconds to 2 mins later they freak out. It is odd. Do the water thing after they freak out, if they are prone to that.

Do this process 2 times a day at least or any time you see it on the nest and not laying.

>>1286889
With determinate variety potatoes you can simply use about 6 inches of straw instead of hoeing soil around them. The goal here is to prevent light from reaching any tubers that may push up through the ground. For indeterminate potatoes, you should use soil since they will form potatoes any place they touch the ground.
>>
I just planted planted a bunch of pawpaw seeds!
I've read online they have deep tap roots and so don't do well in containers, but isn't the taproot unnecessary as long as it's got plenty of fine feeder roots? As in, could I not just prune the taproot and such sort of like one would with a bonsai? I'm unfortunately not settled so these are gonna have to be in containers for better or worse.

Also have any of you eaten a pawpaw? Are they good? Best case gonna be like 6-8 years before I find out how they are lol.
>>
Fucking crab grass

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>1286930
You can prune the taproot, but it would slow the growth of the tree for a bit and pawpaws can be a little finicky about their roots. As for flavor, pawpaws are unique in that they taste wildly different depending on the tree you get them from. Some taste mango-y, some more like banana or vanilla, and some just flat-out suck. Luckily, seed-grown pawpaws are usually way more palatable than, say, a seed-grown apple or pear.

>>1286932
Whoever lived in my house last planted some ornamental grass that's invasive as shit and never dies, so I feel your pain.
>>
>>1286924
I'm using gold potatoes does that mean I won't get a bigger yield even if I put more dirt/straw on them while they grow in the bucket? I thought that's how potatoes towers work.
>>
>>1286934
Yukon Gold potatoes are determinate so you only need to cover up the bases to prevent sunlight from turning the tubers green. You don't need to do anything else. They won't produce extra potatoes by putting even more dirt on them.

Potato towers where you fill the tower up as the plant grows only work with indeterminate potatoes. Potato towers that are filled first then planted on all the sides are used with determinate potatoes.

"Determinate" means they stop growing at a certain height. "Indeterminate" means they will keep growing forever until frost kills them off.
>>
File: DSC_2983a.jpg (3.09 MB, 3072x2044)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
I'm finally getting to the point in my gardens that the weeds are under control.

>>1286891
I did a long time ago, but Zone 5, in this area, has a growing season that was too short for them to have ripe fruit before the first frost. I'd need to start them indoors then move to a polytunnel months ahead of last frost in order to get ripe fruit.

>>1286932
I get some from time to time. Thankfully, the soil is so loose that it just comes right out.
>>
File: DSC_2985a.jpg (712 KB, 1024x1362)
712 KB
712 KB JPG
>>1286946
Last year's compost pile is doing well. The top pic shows all the Dickinson pumpkins I planted. The bottom pic shows all the volunteer plants that popped up on their own. There should be enough plants to out pace the squash bugs. I think I have more growing space on a compost pile this season than last season.
>>
i've got a question, I have 4 goats and a rooster that currently sleeps in the goat house with them. However I also have a rescued goose that we currently have in the basement with plenty of food and water of course. The dilemma is my 8 week old goose likes to break out and get trapped in nooks and crannies trying to get out of the pen in the basement, will it be ok if it stays in the goat house at night? The goose can get defensive and doesn't like it when the goats start playing around so i'm worried they may step on him and either hurt or kill it. I feel bad by locking him up in the basement by himself.
>>
>>1286852
>Threads "1" to 105 plus extras:
>https://www.mediafire.com/file/lbotds76751ws79/Homegrowmen%20Threads%20Mar-20-2013%20to%20Sep-29-2017.rar

Warning: Beware of the ads and popups in this!
>>
>>1286954
>being this new to the internet

Use adblock among others.
>>
>>1286933
Hopefully (if these gow well and eventually fruit) these will taste good. I ordered the seeds from rareseeds and they're supposed to be from various large and flavorful cultivars, not just random wild trees, so that should give them decent odds, right?
Either way should be nice looking trees at least, and I'm looking forward to growing some fruit I don't have to bring inside for winter.
>>
About to start a test-run strawberry growing hydroponics system. Am gonna make it on my rooftop with a hoophouse for protection.
The problem is that summers can reach fucking 40 C while winters can go under 0.

Any ideas for how I can deal with this bullshit weather? I want a year round production so I dont want to only harvest once a year. Mediterranean coast, by the way.
>>
File: IMG_20180604_194308.jpg (2.52 MB, 1944x2592)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
As an experiment I am trying bucket tomatoes this year. What I've noticed so far is the tomato plants in a bucket are much smaller and compact
with short nodes requiring no pruning compared to in ground plants yet the tomatoes are more than twice as large. Maybe some plant fag could explain why this is seems like more energy is going to the fruit rather than growing more plant
>>
>>1286995
What cultivar?
>>
>>1286998
Super Sioux
>>
>>1287005
Nothing too special with that one. It is probably from not pruning it. Only a limited amount of energy can go through the trunk. Those suckers are really long so that's where it is ending up. The tomatoes for that variety are normally 4-6 inches wide.
>>
>>1286958
>Use adblock among others.
I use uBlock and it still was popping up.
>>
>>1287020
uBlock is terrible. Which thread was it? Also, when I used uBlock it was like it was crushing my CPU.
>>
I'm moving into an apartment that has a small balcony, but it faces another, taller building so the light really sucks. Anything useful I can grow there? Warm, somewhat humid climate with no real winter.
>>
>>1287101
mango tree
>>
Can someone tell me where to get cheap as fuck seeds? $7 for 100 seeds is neat and cheap, but I feel like I can do better.
I'm looking, specifically, for Juliet Hybrid tomatoes.

I've also considered asking the local master gardeners for starts, but I'm not sure if that's ever a great idea.
>>
>>1287161
ebay
>>
>>1287178
am i really gonna get VF-resistant tomatoes from ebay WITHOUT tobacco mosaic already in them?
looks like they're just as spendy as the ones from seed retailers, by the way.
>>
File: pepeer.jpg (97 KB, 644x364)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>1286852
Mushroom question, when an inoculated substrat stops fruiting, can i use that to inoculate virgin substrat or do i need to always buy grain spawn over and over?
the mycelium should be there just waiting for more nutrients to expand right?
>>
>>1287215
Correct. I've seen people mix used substrate into a pile of wood chips and get consistent flushes that way. They just keep feeding the pile and the mushrooms just keep growing.
>>
>>1287226
thanks brother
>>
>>1287136
It can, but being only 2 watts it won'y grow very much at all. Maybe like a pot or two of lettuce very close together.

>>1287101
Most likely only greens like cole crops. You could grow garlic for its tops, from garlic bulbs.

>>1287161
That's actually a pretty good price. Getting starts or cuttings from someone else is fine. Remember, when you have a tomato plant, every sucker you cut off can grow into a new plant. You can quadruple your number of plants in no time. I'd also save the seeds from them even though they are hybrids. You never know what you'll end up with and they could still be good, just a bit different.

>>1287178
>>1287186
I don't recommend buying easy to find seeds from eBay. For rare tubers and seeds you can't find anyplace else, go for it.

>>1287215
Once you've bought a mushroom kit or taken samples from something, you'll have that strain of fungi for the rest of your life, if you keep feeding it and keep it healthy. You can pass them to your children in your will. FYI, the term for fruiting/spawning is, "flush".
>>
File: file.jpg (52 KB, 498x332)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
What type of tomatoes do you guys grow? I really like Scotia because it seems to handle the climate I'm my area and the soil in my yard really well, also it is pretty low maintenance.

This year I'm also trying out 2 Brandywine and 6 Roma plants as well.
>>
>>1287256

Gardeners delight last year and maskotka this year.
>>
Hey guys, anyone have experience with growing tobacco? If so, please post your tips and general advice.
>>
File: DSC_3027a.jpg (369 KB, 1024x683)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>>1287256
•Yellow Pear: I prefer these cut in half and dried for soups and such. Other people love them for their small size in salads and such. Good for wet areas because the pear shape sheds water easily.
•Italian Red Pear: Amazing sauce tomato. Good for wet areas because the pear shape sheds water easily.
•Purple Cherokee: Good for slicing & fresh eating, poor for wet areas and high humidity with heavy dew in the morning due to the cupped section in the top that tends to hold water. Isopods eat the fruit readily because of that.

I have about 120 plants grown from seed, about 16 from cuttings, and 200 from volunteers. The volunteers need moved or weeded out. Thus, I can only claim about 150 tomato plants I'm currently taking care of. I've been de-suckering and tying them up for the past week.
>>
So I can't stand that my neighbors have cut down a bunch of trees over the last few years. Last year we started putting down winter rye as a cover crop. Some areas we let grow full and it looks beautiful. My question, I'd like to plant more winter rye as a natural fence behind where we sit to enjoy the woods. Can I plant winter rye in zone 5b now (early june) to make a privacy fence for say mid-late august?
>>
>>1287294
FYI, winter rye only grows about 4 feet tall at best. If you want a privacy fence of something edible try sorghum. Now is the perfect time for planting it. Just pick what use you want to do, sugar, grain, or animal fodder and select a variety for that. Watch out for the dwarf stuff when is only as tall as the winter rye. Normally, it grows to a height of 5-6 feet. Broom corn varieties grow up to 8 feet tall. Hungarian broom corn sorghum can reach 10 feet tall. Yes, you can make brooms from those varieties.

Also, yes your winter rye should be fully grown by fall. The only problem is that winter rye needs, "vernalization," in order to produce grain. That requires cold seeds which is why it is normally planted in the fall/winter.
>>
File: DSCN5846.jpg (1.07 MB, 1200x900)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>1287299
Our winter rye is creeping up on 6 feet, I'm 6'2 and the tips are just around my nose/eye height.
Its cold enough here -10 zone to go through the freeze stage. Was thinking about letting it self seed and hopefully spread a bit.
>>
My habenaro plant started growing flowers last week, Now a few flowers have fallen off.

When does it start producing peppers? It has little pods but idk when they will start growing

>tfw built a nice planter from salt treated wood at the end of my driveway but it's already too late to plant blackberry seeds
>>
>>1286932
scotts seed and feed ma nigga
>>
>>1287256
>Six romas

That may be the worst possible tomato to grow
>>
File: De70WLoXUAEwSdv.jpg (1.12 MB, 1536x2048)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Does anyone know the name of this plant? It can hit 8 ft tall and puts out a pink-red bloom in Spring. A friend's wondering what this beast is.
>>
How many peppers and tomatoes(likely dwarf tomatoes considering how large my outdoor ones get) can I grow under two 45w square grow lights?
>>
what is nice flowering ornamental plant that will grow well in zone 5, full sun?
>>
>mixed up seeds from last year
>planted 120 dark opal basil
What am I even supposed to do with this much basil in a couple months?
>>
>>1287348
I throw lots of fresh basil leaves in salads. You could also make pesto. You could make basil ice cubes and freeze them for future use.
>>
>>1287306
Wow I've never seen a variety that tall. I wonder if it because of the shade.

>>1287333
Store Roma is often times different than home grown Roma. There's something like 50+ types of them. The one you see most often in catalogs is just 1 type and usually Roma VF of some sort.

>>1287329
The flowers don't fall off unless there's some problem. The petals normally fall off and the pepper starts growing from the center. Bud drop can occur from sudden cold weather, incorrect watering, incorrect nitrogen levels, and improper pollination.

>>1287335
I'm not familiar with it. What part of the world?

>>1287336
Depends on the type of light. LED, CFL, Halogen, etc? It also depends on factors like reflection. Are you using a foil tent to help reflect the light around that would normally be lost?

>>1287348
Dried basil lasts a long time.
>>
>>1287356
last year we cut some branches down to get more sun in that area as we had planted some large grasses as well. The area gets some descent morning (9-11) sun as well as later afternoon sun.
>>
Can I easily grow my own blackberries if I take cuttings from a wild plant? They're all over the place

Will they do well in a pot? I don't want them overgrowing the yard.
>>
>>1287356
50 kinds of Roma make up the top 50 tomatoes home gardeners should avoid. Name a worse tomato. You can't.
>>
File: 1528220888314756683226.jpg (2.66 MB, 2560x1440)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
I want to shrink this black raspberry bed. Build something to hold them up. Any recommendations? Is it to late to dig them up and move them around?
>>
>>1287396
Very easily. Put the tip of a new shoot into a pot of soil, leave it for a while, then come back and cut it off and presto! A new plant.
>>
File: prod003442.jpg (26 KB, 322x380)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1287420
>Name a worse tomato.

Hydroponically grown Beefsteak.

>>1287396
>>1287427
I find blackberries do better from roots/rhizomes than from cuttings. It is still doable. Just use the pliable stem sections, not the hardened up stems. Raspberries do amazingly well via cuttings.

>>1287425
Those are raspberries? They look more like blackberries than raspberries and are so very short. What cultivar? Just take a large amount of soil around the roots as best you can and they should be okay. It will impact their fruit production, but only for this season.
>>
File: 20180605_124353.jpg (2.52 MB, 2560x1440)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
>>1287446
>Those are raspberries? They look more like blackberries than raspberries.

Typo. Yes theyre blackberries. Theyve probably been growing here sense the sixties so who knows.

Also. Is this ruhbarb?
>>
>>1287468
Ah, I see. No, that is a type of dock. There's a ton of varieties. Some are fairly tasty, others are crap. All of them have too much oxalates in them for regular eating and cooking it out takes forever.
>>
>>1287281
I've grown it before. It turned out really well, but curing it was a bitch since I live in an area where it is nearly 100% humidity 24/7. However, I gave up on doing that since I don't use tobacco for recreation of any kind. I was growing it for a friend. I only use it now to make a pesticide from the nicotine. I haven't done that in a long time.
>>
>>1287486
>>1287281
Oh and I forgot, if you are going to grow it, go ahead and buy some insect cloth row covers. Everything in the fucking world wants to eat it.
>>
>>1287486
Thanks, i am planning to grow and cure tobacco, my environment usually has a humidity of 40-60, however i am able to create a curing chamber of something of the like, ive just ordered some virginia gold seeds
>>
>>1287256
right now i have 6 cherry tomato and 6 costoluto fiorentino, dunno how it's named in english
why is everyone shitting on Roma? never tried it but seems like a san marzano wannabe
>>
>>1287557
It is just a name they remember from one of the store varieties used as a sauce tomato. People often times buy them not realizing they are really only for making sauce and instead they end up slicing and putting them on a sandwich and being seriously disappointed. It is like they bought a pineapple to use in making a banana split.
>>
File: 2018-06-03_13-13-53.jpg (1.59 MB, 1800x1200)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>>1287256
I'm keeping things a little more "vanilla" this year.
Pic related, under the plastic roof I have (started February, planted late March)
6x "Black Cherry", 5x "Hellfrucht" ("bright fruit" in German, just a cheap, run off the mill mid-sized variety) and 1x unnamed beefsteak variety bought as small plant from garden store.
One of my "Black Cherry" is already about 1.30m tall and putting out the 4th flower set, but the oldest one is still green-fruited, will take at least 2-3 weeks to ripen
Then in the "free", I've got 6 volunteers that popped up in the garden from composted last year's fruit, as well as 2 additional garden store plants, one of which is grafted.
>>
alrighty tomorrow we are going to reseed the west side of our house with red and crimson clover. Nothing has ever really grown there other than weeds. We started using clover (new zeland) as living mulch. Love the stuff.
So here is my question.
We watered this morning, scalped the weeds, raked and scratched up the surface. Tomorrow we are going to put down seed and cover with peat moss. We have three 3 cubic foot bags. At 1/4 inch it covers around 500sq feet, the area is 750sq feet. I'd like to get as much use out of the peat as possible. Should I lay down the seed and cover with peat or lay down the seed and rake the area to incorporate the seed with a fan rake?
>>
>>1287680
Since you are covering it lightly with peat, you don't need to rake it in. For clovers, the planting depth should be about 1/4" to 1/2" an inch deep. Don't go over 1/2".
>>
>>1287694
yea I did a light sprinkle when I did a few of the flower beds. Just wanting to get the most out of 9 cubic feet. Calculations are saying 12-15 cubic feet but didn't get enough today
>>
>>1287101
>>1287104
If you go the mago route a pickering mango is a good bet as they are a small tree and fruit in containers.
>>
Someone red pill me on raising pigs.
>>
>>1287580
huh, this must be the garbage tomato variety that turned me off of tomatoes semi-permanently because they tasted like juicy bags of water and nothing else
>>
File: pic related, not mine.jpg (183 KB, 1024x683)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>Growing passionfruits
>Chickens find them
>Eat all the new sprouts coming out
>Fence it
>Chickens jump around and still eat the tip of the sprouts
REEEEE
>>
>>1287029
All the threads I tried did it. I was going through the oldest ones first.

My adblock would sometimes block the ad but the cpu slow down and window popup still persisted.
>>
>>1287846
are you using ublock or ublock origin? origin is better
>>
File: crap myrtle.jpg (122 KB, 547x547)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>1287335
Crepe myrtle?

I want one so badly. I've had smaller ones in my hand at the box shops, but I'd be willing to shell out big money and get a full tree from the right place.
>>
I've come here today for help from you boys. I've never done any gardening in my life and I would like to know how to do it, my granny and parents disappeared a long time ago, no one ever showed me how to garden. Are there any guides lying around on how to grow basic flowers and maybe some berries? I had a look at the mushroom ones but I think I'd grow differen't stuff for now. My climate is like this if that means anything.
>>
>>1287580
>being seriously disappointed
I have never been surprised by a tomato

they pretty much all taste the same to me....I don't get it

growing cherry and san marzano again this year; made a lot of salsa last season and roasted just a few (they were good just by themselves)

>>1287923
read the first post bro
>>
File: 1528229001150.jpg (60 KB, 639x480)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>another fucking frost warning tonight

FUCK
>>
>>1287420
As someone naive to tomato growing, what the fuck is wrong with Romas?
If there is a better sauce tomato to grow I would love to know about it, I make fuckloads of sauce.
>>
My plants are always thirsty. All people i know water them every 1-2 days but mine are already suffering after half a day. Is it the soil? Water is passing too easily? I installed a drop irrigation system so water is all going directly to the roots
>>
>>1287946
You might have watered them too much and now they all have shallow root systems. Or your soil drains to well.
>>
>>1287954
Fuck, there's no escape from this hell
>>
Just transplanted (and probably killed!) some petunias today.
The dirt they were in was absolutely waterlogged, and so instead of "massaging the roots" to loosen dirt, I just broke off the roots that were bound up against the old container and hoped for the best when dividing them.

How do I promote root growth and avoid having these plants stunt and refuse to bloom all summer?
>>
>>1287939
Besides being mealy and tasting mediocre they are great. I guess if you live somewhere without access to a grocery store and $1 canned tomatoes then maybe they are worthwhile
>>
>>1287955
Or you might not be watering enough. Dig into the soil and see what's going on
>>
File: Untitled.png (555 KB, 1920x2220)
555 KB
555 KB PNG
>>1287791
They are super smart. About as smart as dogs, though it will depend on the breed of pig. If you have more than a few, don't allow them to see you holding their food. You don't want them associating you/humans with food. Don't name them.

>>1287835
No, the Roma tomatoes are sauce tomatoes, meaning they are less juicy than others. They have more solid mass inside and require less cooking down for making sauce and paste. They have a more acidic flavor. Slicing tomatoes for fresh eating are normally the juiciest tomatoes. They have a sweeter flavor, usually. Some varieties, usually the store ones are rather bland.

>>1287846
uBlock is resource heavy in how it works. Try another blocker. Here's what mine looks like right now with one of the archive threads. AdBlock Plus shows 2 things it is blocking (same as with 4chan, blocking the banners) and CPU usage it next to nothing. Firefox doesn't seem to be blocking anything. Strict Popup Blocker doesn't seem to be blocking anything. I'm using Firefox 60.0.1 64-bit on Windows 7 Home Premium (classic theme).

Top screenshot is 1 thread open with all the defences on. Bottom pic is in Sandboxie with all defences down and every single thread in the entire archive open and fully loaded in Firefox. I'm thinking you are having a problem with your setup since.

>>1287923
There is a ton of good information in the pastebin links in the OP. Find out what "temperature zone" you live in. Like Zone 5 or Zone 10, whatever. Look up your first and last frost dates, if any. That will tell you how long your growing season is. Then it is just a matter of growing things you like and researching their individual needs.

>>1287926
Some people just can't taste the difference. Normally, you'd need a few varieties side by side and do taste testing.

>>1287939
>what the fuck is wrong with Romas?

See: >>1287580 As for a better sauce tomato, try Italian Red Pear. They are huge.

>>1287946
Use 4+ inches of mulch.
>>
>>1287969
Give them a little fertilizer next week, one balanced across the 3 main chems.

>>1287972
lol The grocery stores here only sell romas in cans and as sauce tomatoes. Everything else is beefsteak or tiny cherry toms.
>>
>>1287933
>Central US to sizzle amid unseasonably hot weather into the weekend
>meanwhile it's been fucking freezing and raining for the past several weeks on the east coast
the ONE year I want warm sunny weather instead of cool and overcast
>>
>>1287982
How do I get fertilizer on the cheap?
>>
File: DSC_3057a.jpg (491 KB, 1024x683)
491 KB
491 KB JPG
>>1287984
I'm getting a ton of gardening done in the cool and rain. It is a nice reprieve, but any more of it and things will start to suffer. It is fantastic weather for all the new cuttings. The biggest downside is that it is time to fertilize the corn and sorghum, but I have to wait for things to dry out some. There's a section of wetter ground out there that stopped germination and is hindering growth (red circle in pic). I really need to pack up that soil and move it all into raised beds elsewhere.

>>1287989
A balanced fertilizer is something you'll more than likely need to purchase. Get something like 10-10-10 and use it only once. Anything with higher nitrogen will trigger more leaves than blooms. Otherwise, read up on the different methods of making it yourself,

https://thegrownetwork.com/15-simple-and-inexpensive-homemade-fertilizers/
>>
>>1287989
Farm supply stores

Depending on what you buy and how much, That could land you on a FBI watch list though.
>>
is there anyway to take compost that you are not sure is 100% organic aka possible infected trees and grass sprayed with non organics; and render it safe?
>>
My Dorset Naga seeds aren't germinating after a week. They were like 4 years old IIRC. Any tips or just wait some more?
>>
>>1288045
>a week
Report back in 3 more weeks if nothing happened until then.
Do you keep them moist enough? Warm enough?
>>
>>1287969
Rooting hormone
>>
>>1287281
Grows like weeds. If you have grown something like tomatoes or peppers before, tobacco is piss easy. Especially Virginia Gold.
Cut the tipp off so it wont flower and puts its energy into leaf growth.
Needs some space to get really big, but grows nice enough in reaonably big pots.
>>
>>1288055
>Do you keep them moist enough? Warm enough?
Yes I got some in rock wool under LED light which I spray water when the top of the cube is dry and also got another set on the paper towel method.
>>
>>1288044
You'd need to pile it somewhere for 5 years. You can usually still grow corn with it since most pesticides are for broadleaf plants, but you'll not be able to grow other things in it for about 5 years. For infected trees/plants and no chemical problems you can hot compost it if you need it soon. That will sterilize it. For trees that contain their own herbicides/seedling suppressors you need to wait 6-12 months depending on the type of tree. For quick, but labor intensive hot composting google up "Berkeley method composting."

>>1288045
>>1288074
Add more light.
>>
>>1287984
Move out west and you can enjoy not seeing a cloud all summer long
>>
>>1288074
>>1288076
Add more warmth, an LED will do shit in that regard, depending on the setup. Simple transparent plastic wrap can make a "mini greenhouse" that will keep everything warm enough.
>>
Transplanted my cardinal climber to a nice 4 gallon pot and put it near my deck railing to climb. Forgot to take a pic, I'll post it tonight or tomorrow. Gotta go to work
>>
>>1288101
I had a pot of those I raised from seed. They are really neat. I wish I had not lost the seeds I saved from them.
>>
File: running-rabbit-XDWT81.jpg (117 KB, 1300x1086)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
*approaches your garden*
>>
File: DSCN5850.jpg (2.86 MB, 1800x1350)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
zone 5b
my kale seems to be falling over, not looking to healthy.
>>
>>1288150
It wasn't planted deep enough. Pile up some dirt around the bases and hide the tap roots.
>>
File: conibear-den-set1.jpg (8 KB, 234x150)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1288149
https://www.google.com/search?q=conibear+trap+rabbit&tbm=isch
>>
>>1288149
*chambers a round*

Nothing personal kid.
>>
>>1288167
even though we direct seeded them?
>>
>>1288176
Yeah, it happens with mine all the time. It is as though the cotyledon are where the soil level needs to be. Sometimes they grow really tall for whatever reasons, usually needing more light. Then they flop all over unless you shore them up. It can be annoying and you need to catch it early on for best results.
>>
>>1288170
>>
>>1288181
thanks for the help anon, Gonna take your advice.
>>
What's a good way to repell raccoons without using traps?
>>
If I'm growing peppers in a container, how big does the pot have to be? Does it have to be all that deep? I read somewhere that the roots do not set very deep.
>>
>>1288255
rows of crucified raccoon corpses
>>
File: 1480456860153.jpg (59 KB, 602x690)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Stop planting non European herbs
>>
>>1288256
Bigger pot = bigger plant, simple as that. Peppers are very easy.
>>
>>1288255
Electric fence.
>>
>>1287980
>Use 4+ inches of mulch.
i already do
>>
>>1288256
You want something like a 5 gallon bucket (19-20l for europe) per peppers for good results.
>>
>>1288282
Are you checking to make sure the soil is drying out 2 inches down?
>>
>>1288283
Not him, but will 3 gallon pots work good enough?
>>
>>1288333
nice digits.
It will work but the results might be kinda meh. They like to have space.
Just try a 3 and 5 gallon pot with the same kind of plants (same start date and same sort) and compare results.
>>
>>1288340
>>1288333
>>1288283
Also depends on the type of pepper. Hot, small, long varieties will do good even in a 20L one, but bell peppers apparently need much bigger ones (tried last year in such a pot and the fruits turned out way tinier than the ones planted in ground)
>>
>>1287680
>>1287694
so the seeding went really well and smooth. Question, is there a way to make them pop and grow a bit quicker than they would alone? The ground is pretty much bare and scalped from mowing, raking etc. Worried the soil has no protection from heavy rain etc until they get at least an inch tall.
>>
>>1287946
depends on a lot of things....climate, weather, ground conditions, plant size

>>1288149
just got my fence set up

nothing was eaten last year, despite seeing animals around, so I know it works

>>1288256
probably the bigger the better, but we grew some bells last year in a pot and got regular sized fruit
>>
File: IMG_20180606_205645.jpg (2.24 MB, 1944x2592)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>1288333
No, don't half ass it, go with the 5 gallon or you might have to water it every day
>>
File: 20180606_225312.jpg (4.98 MB, 4032x3024)
4.98 MB
4.98 MB JPG
Everything is coming along.

>Two solo cups are cat nip
>Upper right is banana pepper
>(covered by large habanero plant) tomato plant
>Large bush is habanero plant
>bottom right is cherry tomatoes
>bottom left is spinach

The habanero plant was a clone and is doing amazing. I've topped it twice

Light is a 350 watt viparspectra full spectrum LED with uv
>>
>>1288532
how long ago did you germinate your catnip seedlings?
>>
>>1288546
I honestly can't remember I'm sorry. But it was at the same time as the rest of my seeds. I'm keeping them in solo cups as to not take up too much room
>>
>>1287446
Whats wrong with hydro beefsteak?
>>
>>1288550
Plants that get their energy from nutrients taste like gatorade
>>
File: bindweed-roots.jpg (34 KB, 850x567)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>1286946
>I'm finally getting to the point in my gardens that the weeds are under control.

What is the final solution to the Bindweed problem?

I've been fighting a war against this fiend for the last 2 years. I recently realized that I was attempting to control it in the wrong ways (ie. missing a shit load of roots that just ended up growing back).

I'm now waging an all out genocide against them. I've taken to collecting the roots & leaves in 5 gallon pails, and once full, dousing the entire mass with boiling water.

Why is this weed such a fucking cunt? Share some horror stories, victory stories, or words of encouragement with me, I beg of you.
>>
>>1287348
Pesto, lots of it. Freeze if you want to ration it
>>
>>1288575
I have horsetail popping up in some areas of my garden, shit gets out of control when you let it establish itself.
>>
landscapers keep blowing grass clippings and shit into my bed by accident and weeds keep popping up in it because of this. dumb mexicans
>>
>>1288461
There's not much you can do about that. Keeping it misted so it doesn't dry out too much should help until they are sprouted. After that I wouldn't know how to protect against surface flooding.

>>1288550
>>1288551
Beefsteak is one of those varieties that really needs the water withheld a week or so before harvesting. That helps to really increase its flavor. Since it is in a hydroponics setup that can't be done so it won't have as much flavor. While this happens to all tomatoes, to some extent, it is more noticed with beefsteak.

>>1288575
>What is the final solution to the Bindweed problem?

When you see one popping up, you get out your trowel and dig down to the rhizome it is connected to, remove it. Try to get the entire thing. Even a 1/2" long piece will sprout a new plant. Repeat until everything is gone. The same goes with trumpet vine and Canada/creeping thistle, knotweed, and running bamboo. Mulching won't help stop those unless it is thick plastic mulch. Except bamboo will punch through the plastic.

I have bind weed everywhere naturally, but in one raised bed it found its way in via imported pig manure which had some local soil that evidently had it. It is the only bed that I didn't get it all removed before planting.

>>1288672
Solid Fencing.
>>
>>1288672
At least your nation is developed enough to have a peaceful landscape apartheid that ensures that beaners get to do productive work for society, therefore not commiting horrific crime. Here in Puerto Rico, there are no such programs, so people are unemployed, roads are full of weeds and shit, and people spend their lives draining off the welfare system.
I used to live in a California community with an advanced organization of Mexican landscapers, and it was the best, cleanest, and safest neighborhood out there. As long as there is an apartheid, and people are productive, a heterogeneous society Can actually work.
>>
>>1288679
>>1288672
Keep /pol/ in >>>/pol/ please.
>>
>>1288256
Also depends on the variety of pepper.
Some like space, some will produce even in a pudding cup.
>>
>>1288681
Gardening was the primary thing that turned me into a Nazi, for your information. Selective breeding is a Literal eugenics program, planting seedlings gives me respect for early-development life, agriculture brings the man closer to his non-degenerate traditional practices, and planting a seed trusts in the growth and betterment of the future.
>>
File: DSC_3040a.jpg (255 KB, 1024x683)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>1288685
My Hungarian wax peppers were starting to produce in their 3" deep tray cells while still indoors. Here's a pic of one. I need to get to picking soon it seems. It'll bush out after that most likely.
>>
>>1288687
Make a thread in /pol/ then link the people you are talking with here to that thread. Otherwise, the thread here turns to shit and staff has to delete like half of it. Which has happened a few times in the past.
>>
>>1288681
Oh shut up you fucking loser, I'm left leaning anyways I just don't want the landscapers blowing weeds in my garden. The only thing I know about them is that they're Mexican, hence dumb mexicans. Lick my nuts
>>
>>1288256
Don't know how well it translates to peppers but for cannabis the general rule is 1 gallon per foot of plant. 5 foot variety? 5 gallon bucket for optimal growth. Maybe give it a go for your chiles
>>
>>1288704
That doesn't work for vegetables and fruits. Nearly all of them are 5-gallon range where soil is involved. There are exceptions of course, like strawberries and non-dwarf fruit trees being on the extreme ends of the spectrum.
>>
>>1288385
I'm trying to grow two jalapenos and one green bell pepper, more or less just as an experiment.
>>
>>1288709
could fertilizer application make a 3 gallon pot useful for some peppers? or would the roots just run out of space and fuck up the plant?
>>
>>1288733
Maybe you can get two 3 gallon pots and put one on top of the other
>>
>>1288678

>Beefsteak is one of those varieties that really needs the water withheld a week or so before harvesting. That helps to really increase its flavor

That seems retarded. The plant would be near dead after a week and if it survived the rest of the fruit would crack as soon as you start watering again
>>
>>1288752
That not universally true. It really depends on your climate, soil, etc.
>>
>>1288678
cool thanks, lucky that it happens to be on the west side of my house which doesn't get blaring sun for hours on end so moisture shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>1288687
no one fucking cares, take your autism to /pol/
>>
>>1288733
For a 3-gallon pot, your choices are bonsai, hydroponics, root burn, or root bound.

>>1288752
You don't completely dry it out obviously, but it does need to be stressed. When you start watering again you ramp it up slowly. This is typical watering for tomatoes. They won't crack simply because you are not overdoing it. It has to be planned around the weather too.
>>
is 1.1 mil bags strong enough to keep 5 gallons of compost in?
>>
>>1288833
Plastic? Not for very long. Black will last longer than any other color. Try 3 mil or thicker for longer life.
>>
>>1288840
I got 3mil 50 gallon bags but for me too expensive to hold compost in.
>>
>>1288847
Why not just use something permanent like a trashcan?
>>
>>1288850
I want to put them in separate bags to hold down my plastic for the stale seed beds
>>
How do you store your extra vegetables? I have just started growing my greens but i can already see i will have to stuff myself for some weeks and then have none for the rest of the year.
I have basically tomatoes and zucchini. Next year i plan to semi dry some of them and put them in oil. Should be simple right? No need to boil them i think.
>>
>>1288687
Remember to conserve native European plants, stop planting and eating foreign vegetables such as potato, tomatoes, pumpkins and peppers
>>
File: 2018-06-07_20-27-54.jpg (1.1 MB, 1800x1200)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>1279530
Final update (hopefully): The first non-crippled spear is unfolding! A bit smaller than the older ones, but looking quite healthy
>>
>>1288886
Zucchini is best preserved by giving it away at work, church or throwing it over your neighbors fence after midnight
>>
>>1288920
>church
Why would pedophiles want any Zucchini?
>>
>>1288918
That looks great.

>>1288920
Always lock your car when you are parking in zucchini territory.

>>1288886
Freezing, cold storage, dehydrating (then vacuum packed in jars), & canning.
>>
File: banane.jpg (999 KB, 2000x1000)
999 KB
999 KB JPG
Got myself a Musa basjoo a bit over two weeks ago. Don't expect it to fruit in my climate (have it mostly as ornamental - would probably taste like shit anyway compared to regular banana), but damn it's growing fast now.
The 4 leaves it came with yellowed/browned a bit (probably because it had been indoors at the seller), new growth looks fine though and already withstood the first thunderstorm without ripping
>>
File: IMG_20180607_174331.jpg (2.85 MB, 1944x2592)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
Can anyone identify this shrubbery from Washington state?
>>
>>1289042
looks like a yew
>>
is it possible to do drip irrigation in zone 5b and have it last more than one season?
>>
>>1289042
Yew?
>>
>>1289070
As with hydroponics or aquaponics systems. At the end of the season you blow it out, strip it down and store it inside for winter.
>>
>>1289054
>>1289074
Should I kill it, transplant it or make a bonsai? It's growing against a fence
>>
Just moved to house on 4 acres, what is this tree /out/? I plan to plant some of my own but I’m not from the area, it’s south of San Antonio. Ty
>>
>>1289101
Bonsai obviously, also some bonsai people here: >>>/an/2709052
>>
>>1289100
trying to think where I can store 300ft of pipe in the off season
>>
>>1289126
If you blow it out and keep it dry it's ok.
Temps don't matter much if there's nothing in there that can fuck your shit up.
>>
>>1289129
the piping is ok at -15 F ?
>>
>>1289130
It's not ok but at least way better than leaving it in the beds. You might go from a 8-10 season lasting down to 4-5 but at least it's not a 1 season and out.

pipe storing power rankings:
1. store it somewhere inside
2. store it in your garage or in a shed
power gap
300. store it outside in water tight containers
extreme power gap
9001. leave it in the beds
>>
>>1289139
Just trying to figure out if this is going to be more trouble than not. Right now I use an orbit walking sprinkler. Put it on low, goes about 10-12 feet per hour. Usually let it go through 1 garden, then put it to the next one.
>>
>>1288886
>Next year i plan to semi dry some of them and put them in oil. Should be simple right? No need to boil them i think.
you should do some reading on preservation

tomatoes can be easily canned in a regular stock pot
>>
>>1289145
If you have a sprinkler stay with the sprinkler or think about permanent sprinklers in each zone with plumbing that is good to stay out all year.
>you still have to blow it out for winter but that takes minutes
Drip means damn small lines that can't take a beating.
>you can cut them with a plastic knife...
They're perfect for greenhouses or comfy climates.
>>
I was pleased to see most of my carrots germinated for a change. This year I kept the rows covered with a painting drop cloth on dry days to prevent the soil from drying out. It also helped that we had plenty of rain over the past 2 weeks.

My grow bag plants are proving a little difficult to water since it needs to be done slowly to keep it from just running out the sides. So I poked some small holes in the bottom of a 4L and 2L plastic milk jugs to act as a drip irrigator.
>>
>>1289215
Post a pic of your grow bag
>>
>>1289226
this is a blue board
>>
File: 2Q==.jpg (3 KB, 188x269)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
i have a thing like pic related but the metal thing fell off the stick
is there any way i could fix it?
>>
File: Wedge Inserted.jpg (176 KB, 1024x768)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>1289319
>>
>>1289332
>>1289319
this, or just hammer a nail in the head of a fitting stick if you are in a hurry
ugly but works
>>
>>1289147
i dont really want to can them because those are very very cheap from the market, while the semi dried are much more expensive and can be used differently
>>
>>1289382
>those are very very cheap from the market

Personally, I'd rather pay 100 times the price for food I've grown and cooked myself than to get anything from a store. Thankfully, I pay less than what is in the store for all my homegrown food.
>>
File: Japanese Fiber Banana.jpg (1.5 MB, 1120x1984)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>1289004
Deutschland?
Got one yesterday, goodto hear it grows nicely. Hope mine will too.

>would probably taste like shit anyway compared to regular banana
Apparently the quite opposite. They are said to taste better, but the big seeds make them a pain to eat.
>>
File: Chameleon Plant.jpg (316 KB, 1600x1067)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
Hey guys, I've run into a predicament of sorts. I moved into a new home last winter and included in the estate was the horror of pic related. Since it's a rhizomatic plant, it's difficult to dig up, and has sent "runners" everywhere, even underneath the cement walkway and behind the foundation cover (trailer home converted to permanent), as well as about 40 feet around the perimeter of the foundation cover.
Is there any real way of getting rid of this absolute menace outside of digging up everything, churning the dirt, soaking in commercial weedkiller, and then churning more? I've pulled up new growth once a month and try to take all the root I can with it, but it's growing into the roots of my desirable plants, making it impossible to get rid of without buggering up the entire small garden.
Any ideas guys?
>>
File: bIMG_2104.jpg (534 KB, 1287x915)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
>>1289226
They got a thorough watering from rain last night. I had the fabric flipped down to start but unfolded it and added more soil yesterday since the potato plants are getting big.
>>
File: bIMG_2106.jpg (653 KB, 1277x958)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
>>1289413
And my 40 feet of carrots.
>>
>>1288948
>Why would pedophiles want any Zucchini?
They feed a vegetarian, low calorie diet to the kids trapped in their basements. These kids don't get much excercise chained down and they want them to maintain their slim, prepubescent bodies.
>>
>>1289415
Jesus Christ buddy you need to gas at least 90% of those
>>
>>1289410
Mow, weed, etc everything you can find. Then go around and pull the vegetation that pops up. Do this every 3 days. Pretend you are following a grid pattern and systematically pull the tops. Eventually, the rhizomes 2 feet or so in the ground will run out of energy. It sucks, but works if you are persistent. If you heavily mulch everything, you'll be able to better spot them when they pop up without other plants being in the way.

>>1289418
Let them get 4 true leaves before thinning. That way you know they are past the worst dangers.
>>
>>1289418
not him, but why

>>1289410
just looked this shit up, what a horror. and I thought the chinese mulberry tree in my yard was invasive
>>
>>1289430
These are my top invasives list,

Kudzu
Running Bamboo
Trumpet Vine
Bind Weed
Chameleon Plant
Japanese Knotweed

Thankfully, I only have to deal directly with trumpet vine and bind weed which I'm getting under control.
>>
can i plant vegetables in a pot now or i need specific time of year
>>
File: dsc_8999.jpg (3.69 MB, 4608x3072)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
>>1289430
Because they will end up like this from overcrowding
>>
Could 4 45W LED grow lights(~12x12inches) light up a 4x4foot grow tent? For peppers
>>
>>1289440
ah. figured it had to do with vegetable quality
>>
After I transplant from a store container into a pot, I read conflicting arguements about aftercare. Do I just treat it as planted or give it some extra stuff. Spearmint and a cherry tomato.

I also used a 5g pot for one of the plants, even if its slightly small for the pot. Should I just focus on watering the area nearest the plant to prevent rot or water it all to encourage root growth?
>>
>>1289450
If it's potting soil water the whole thing but don't water again until it dries out (lift it to gauge it's weight wet vs dry) maybe a week between waterings now when the plants are small but when they get bigger every other day
>>
>>1289004
How deep and how wide did you plant? How often do you water? Im planning to get 3 banana plants ice cream blue java, namwa, and mysore.
>>
>>1286995
How fast does a tomato fruit grow from flower to fruit. Im growing tomatoes for the first time (seeds). They are flowering but dont yet see fif fruit set has occured.
>>
Hello my friends I just planted some Blueberries. After reading that they grow best in a slightly acidic soil i used my ph meter to realize i got a ph of 6-7. I threw seeds into 2 separate pots. In one i used some herb vinegar and on the other one i mixed a spoon full of Al2SO4. Which one will most likely be better off?
>>
>>1289455
Thank you, I'll give it a watering when I get home today and make sure I get it all.
>>
>>1289437
That depends entirely on the vegetable and the environment it is located.
>>
File: Fruit Maturity.png (137 KB, 1196x1472)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>1289457
That depends on the cultivar and the environment it is located.

>>1289459
Changing the pH of soil takes a long time,

https://harvesttotable.com/adjusting-soil-ph/
>>
>>1289401
Yeah. For them to fruit outside they apparently need the foliage to survive over winter, which dies back below -3C. Maybe can work if you keep them potted and bring inside, but I already have enough shit clogging the inside in winter so I put it in the ground
>>1289456
Just took the pot it came with, made a slightly bigger hole and put it inside. It's a terraced bed facing south and currently we got quite warm and dry weather, so I'm watering almost daily, also some liquid fertiliser now and then
>>
File: IMG_20180608_191310.jpg (1.01 MB, 2080x1560)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
Kratky update.

Generation 1 lettuces moved next to Generation 0. They were one week more under LED than Gen 0 because it is still cloudy as fuck here. Also got got 3 Zucchini plant in their final Kartky containers. You can see one in this photo and the other 2 on the next photo.
>>
>>1289488
Nice reflector.

>Gen 0
>Gen 1

Just succession planting or did something bolt and you saved the seeds?
>>
File: IMG_20180608_190332.jpg (1.56 MB, 2080x1560)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>1289488
These are the Tomatoes and the new Zucchini plants. I checked the roots of the Zucchinis sharing that container a few days later and they are nowhere as white as the rest of the plants. I think it was a bad idea to put two plants in a single container.
>>
>>1289490
nah just succession planting.
I am "trying" to have like 6 mature lettuces each week. Maybe a bit too high a number. Maybe I will drop to 4 later if all mature without problems. Gen 2 is currently under LEDs and Gen 3 is germinating.
>>
>>1289491
Also forgot to mention the lettuce in this photo I did not start from seeds and I harvested it to make a salad in the hope it will restart grow. As you can see it has been two weeks and no new leaves nor even growth.
>>
>>1289497
It will probably need more light for better regrowth. Was there a cold snap/heat wave lately where inside temps changed from normal during the day time inside?
>>
>>1289500
It has been abnormally cloudy for 2 weeks so I think it is the lack of sun.
>>
File: IMG_20180608_151226.jpg (4.49 MB, 2336x4160)
4.49 MB
4.49 MB JPG
What is eating my kiwis? Slugs?
>>
>>1289516
Looks like caterpillar damage. Look for one hiding somewhere. Look for frass. Smeary, odd shaped frass will be slugs while dry barrel-shaped frass will be caterpillars. Chance it could have been a grasshopper.
>>
>>1289382
you may be able to roast or dry them, then store them in the freezer....but oil sounds like a terrible idea
>>
I've been cold composting for years. I'd like to be able to recharge my compost. What do you think about putting say 30-40 gallons in a 50 gallon brute can and adding 5 gallons of fresh cut grass. Mix it up and let it sit till august?
>>
First time gardener here. Is 2 feet apart too close to plant raspberry bushes? Couldn't decide which kind to get so I bought a red, black, and yellow.
>>
>>1289672
Check out, "Berkeley Method Hot Composting." It might be what you are looking for.

>>1289678
Raspberry plants are not bushes. They are canes that can form thickets, but can be trained into whatever you want. They die off and come back every 2 years with new canes coming up every year. Though, some varieties die off up to two times a year and fruit twice a year.

The distance between rows is more determined by the variety you are going to get. These things can be massive or dainty. In my experience, black raspberry plants are far larger than the others.
>>
>>1289688
>Berkeley Method Hot Composting
looking at it now. Does hot really produce almost the same amount?

Do these prices seem way to good to be true?
>https://billboardtarps.com/product-category/hay-tarps/
>>
>>1289688
Thanks, that should work out. Planted the black one in the garden corner slightly further away from the other two.

Any experience with honeyberry plants? Sounded like something from Fallout so I couldn't pass.
>>
>>1289691
Hot composting basically sterilizes the compost if it is done correctly. I don't do it myself, but I know a few people who do it. Thus, I don't have hands on knowledge of how much compost they are putting in vs how much volume it is when done when compare to cold composting. The cold composting I do takes literal tons of material and renders it down to seemingly almost nothing. I do know that hot composting simply does not have enough time to render down the materials like the cold composting does. So, you end up with a larger volume of compost with hot composting.

The prices, of the tarps, seem about right too me. How much is shipping, that might be the kicker.
>>
>>1289693
>honeyberry

No, I'm in an area that's too cold for them.
>>
>>1289702
I hear ya on the cold composing. I got a 4 high x 10 long and 8 ft wide. I imagine it doesn't make a ton, when I want some I dig in the middle and sift it.
The shipping to me was $30 so total of around 70 bucks
>>
>>1289693
>>1289704
>want to plant honeyberry
>allergic to honeysuckle and worried that honeyberry will set me off too
>>
>Berkeley Method Hot Composting
1.5m high heap
turn it over every 2 days for 15 days

nope.
>>
>>1289717
Yeah, that's one reason why I only do cold composting. Mulching and weeding is easier than shoveling every 2 days all mowing season long. It'd take me two days just to shovel one pile around.
>>
>>1289704
They are being sold in Minnesota. I can't imagine where you live if it's too cold for them.
>>
>>1289748
Winter always killed them off. -42F It may have something to do with the rainforest thing too. Setting them up in a way that prevents them from properly hardening off before the first big freeze. It is like someone flips a switch for summer & winter.
>>
live in southern bay area florida, just ordered some yellow Datil seeds, numex suave orange, and some yellow mountain tomatoes. very excited for the datils and gonna cross some stuff with the suaves. have like 10 more pepper variety i'm going to order tomorrow.
where my pepperfags at
>>
>>1289775
said fuck it, ordered them tonight.
don't know how many of these will grow outside here, but I'll grow plenty inside too. I'll research them as I get them as they're ordered from multiple websites and are coming from all over the place.

here's what I ordered:
>Lemon Drop
>Aji Dulce
>Chocolate Fatalii
>Pink Tiger
>Chocolate Habanero
>Pumpkin Habanero
>Japanese Shishito
>Yellow Datil
>Numex Suave Orange

In addition to what I already have growing:
>Red Chili
>Sweet Banana
>Poblano
>Jalapeno
>Hot Thai Chili
>Bhut Jolokia
>Trinidad Scorpion
>Carolina Reaper
>Orange Habanero

I'm fuckin pepper crazy bros somebody stop me
>>
>>1289783
shiet add
>Aji Ornamental
because i need at least one ornamental tb honest
>>
>>1289783
>>1286863
>>
>>1289786
thank you growman
>>
File: IMG_20180609_154209.jpg (3.57 MB, 3264x2448)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB JPG
can I grow a garlic in this
>>
>>1289855

If you add more soil yes
>>
>>1288255
What are they being attracted by? Usually they eat garbage or pet food, so don’t have that stuff accessible to them. They could be nesting inside your attic or in a shed, so trap and release them elsewhere and close up any entry points. They might also be using your property as a latrine somewhere. You’ll want to eliminate the latrine, but I think you should have a professional do it because of raccoon roundworm.
>>
>>1289516
slugs usually leave drool, that doesnt seem to be the case, the other anon is probably correct
>>
File: robinia.jpg (62 KB, 745x596)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1289400
i can notice a sharp difference for the fresh product but not so much for the preserved one, that's why imho it's just not worth to can it
i might have done something wrong maybe, but it's a lot of work and dont wanna waste all that stuff for nothing
also where i live the stuff in the store has often great quality if you know how to choose them

unrelated question: a 20 or something years ago my dad thought it was a great idea to plant this in our garden, here it's usually put at the limits of fields so that they dont crumble, roots keeping the soil together and shiet
turns out this ugly tree is also infesting as fuck, me and my brother declared war on them a few years ago but they still keep poping up
also is there a particular tecnique to use when removing big roots or it just needs to be that annoying of a job anyway
>>
>>1289923
I worked in the food industry for several years. I'll never ever allow anyone to make food for me ever again. They can keep their chemicals, bandaids, spit, and diseases.

>robinia

Destroy everything you find, every 3 days.
>>
>>1289885
>release them elsewhere

That's illegal in most places, fyi.
>>
>>1289923
>>1289941

You both sound dumb as fuck. Robinia psuedoacacia is an amazing tree. Its obviously a legumous root-crop tree. The wood has an unparralleled ability to resist water reabsorbtion, making it great material for firewood, raised beds, and fence posts. It will last over 80 years in the ground, untreated. Being a legume, it also fixes nitrogen.

Leave it to moronic no-theory gardeners to wage war against something they don't even understand.
>>
>>1289947
It's ugly, full of spikes, leaves everywhere all the time, grows uncontrollably all the time, reproduces everywhere suffocating the already existent trees
yeah the ideal plant dude
>>
>>1289947
It is a worthless weed, if it is in a location it isn't wanted. Those trees are highly invasive and spread like a plague. If it gets over your property line, your neighbors can sue you for the cleanup.
>>
File: DSC_0025.jpg (2.91 MB, 1800x1200)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
some yummy two year old compost
>>
>>1288255
With another dead raccoon

I noticed this works when I was a teenager, We would have raccoons get into our trash and by morning it would be all over the lawn.

I got the job of cleaning it up, After the 7 or 8th time I out of frustration shot one of the raccoons with my .357 magnum. Then put it on top of the trash can lid

No raccoons that night or the next, After about 4 days I had to put it in the garbage because it smelled. No raccoons for about a year after that

Worth a try, IMO it worked to scare the future bloodline
>>
>>1286855
This image is garbage
>>
File: taste.png (250 KB, 405x369)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
>>1288261
This guy raises chicken, a very non-European bird.
>>
>>1289867
can I buy a garlic seeds at the hardware store and just pop them in with more soil and some water?
>>
>>1290242
I don't know a single person that keeps their trash outside of some sort of animal-proof bin. I use one of these.

>>1290269
Yes, but from seed, garlic takes a couple years to produce good bulbs. It is better to buy garlic bulbs, separate them and plant them. You normally plant them in the fall and they grow roots through the winter then harvest in spring or at the beginning of the summer. At that time you can divide them for storage or replanting. These methods vary according to garlic type.
>>
File: 20180609_180718.jpg (4.33 MB, 4032x3024)
4.33 MB
4.33 MB JPG
Update. Everything doing well, Got my second light up

Gave my cherry tomato plants some Calmag and they looked immediately better overnight
>>
File: 20180609_180936.jpg (3.03 MB, 4032x3024)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB JPG
This is my first time growing peppers and my habanero plant is I THINK going to give me a good yield.

I topped it twice and used some LST
>>
>>1290278
I hope you step up your game. Two lights for so few plants doesn't seem worth.
Also move that liquid container out of the light. Algae is a thing.
>>
>>1290280
They will get bigger ya know? I plan to put them all in 5 gallon smart pots

Also I don't water them enough at one time to overfill into the containers. It's just insurance so it doesn't get on my tent floor and I step in it
>>
>>1290280
>>1290284

oops misunderstood you. I'll move the water out of the tent
>>
>>1290244
>>
File: 20180609_184749.jpg (1.72 MB, 1201x2336)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
Something attacked my kale.
I trimmed the skeletonized leaf stubs and moved it to the back balcony.
Do you think it'll make it? What did this?
>>
>>1290242
>Letting a teenager use a gun

Do Americans really do this?
>>
>>1290310
>living in non free countries

Do people really do this?

It's common in the southern US for teenagers to hunt and own firearms. I got my first gun when I was 13, Hunted alone when I was 16, and got my first handgun when I was 16.
>>
I have a few questions for you guys.
I am new too planting and sort of just winging it at the moment. I am trying to grow strawberries and round carrots but they haven't showed any signs of developing yet. The actual plants are growing though, so am I just being impatient? My strawberry is putting down new roots- is this a good sign?
Also, has anyone had any success with vertically growing strawberries? I am thinking of making a PVC pipe into a vertical grower.
>>
>>1290310
>tfw I went hunting by myself during deer season when I was 6yo and had to go get an adult to drag the doe back for me

I guess the 1980s were a different time. I had a few firearms since I was like 4yo. Just small caliber like .22lr and .22wmr. For hunting deer I borrowed the high powered rifles.

>>1290337
Check nutrients, add what is needed. Strawberries may or may not flower depending on the time of season and cultivar type. They probably will next season. For carrots, just wait longer for this season's crop. If you want seed from them, they need to remain in the ground until next season. Then they will flower and look like Queen Anne's lace, giving you tons of seeds.

When I tried PVC pipes for mini towers, I found they needed to be no longer than about 3 feet long. They have problems with drying out at the top and being far too wet at the bottom. The taller they are the worse this gets. You can make nice hanging planters from an end capped, 4-6" dia, PVC pipe. Make sure you paint them, with a few coats of paint, or the sun will make them brittle in no time. I used cheap, "barn paint".
>>
>>1290278
Your tomatoes look horrible
>>
>>1290434
Thanks
>>
>>1290310
Well when the fuck are you supposed to teach them, when they turn 18 and leave for college? Of course you're gonna teach them when they're teens, it gives you time to supervise their firearm use the same way you would teach a teenager to drive. Better to drill the responsibility into them when they're young.
>>
>>1290440
Doesn't that concern you? Something ain't right
>>
File: 20180609_144005-3024x2268.jpg (2.31 MB, 3024x2268)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
Hey b/out/anists, went on my weekly hike in SoCal and stumbled upon this. Can anyone properly identify?
>>
>>1290448
They look fine. As green as my habanero plant, It's the led that makes them look bad or discolored. I'll post a pic of them tomorrow in natural light
>>
>>1290454
poison ivy

maybe a strawberry plant though hard to tell
>>
>>1290272
ok thank you :)
>>
>>1290458
It's not just the color they look leggy and droopy and you shouldn't need cal mag or anything else for a tiny plant unless you are planting in peat moss. Looks like root rot
Tldr. Everything I say is out of love
>>
>>1290475
They're not leggy, They were drooping because the light just turned on. And Calmag can be used on any size plant and often is used on Clones and cuttings

TLDR-Fuck off
>>
File: 1512222962508.png (325 KB, 2400x2400)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
>>1290480
Your plants are feeling your negative energy. Be kind to them friend
>>
I have seen multiple JewTubers use General Hydroponics stuff and then add CalMag but GH specifically states in its literature that CalMag is already included in their formulas and not to add it. So are these guys retarded or is there a benefit in oversupplying CalMag?
>>
File: IMG_20180610_131420.jpg (696 KB, 1920x2560)
696 KB
696 KB JPG
Should i cut it a bit or leav it be?
>>
>>1290278
The Habanero needs a new pot asap.
>>
>>1290434
>>1290475
They look fine to me for their size.

>>1290454
See: >>>/an/2709052 they may be able to help you. It isn't poison ivy or strawberries obviously.

>>1290604
What I never get is why most fertilizer instructions are so retarded and in precise. Like they purposely word it to be vague and misunderstood. As far as your question goes, some plants need more of certain things as certain times in their life cycle. You'd need to cross reference that with what they are doing. Like tomatoes need more nitrogen very early on then more calcium and other stuff later.

>>1290608
Nipping the end buds on the longest sections would be okay I'd think.
>>
>>1290506
Doesn't appear so
>>
>>1290616
I'm putting it in a 5 gallon today, Just got back from Lowes buying soil
>>
>>1290608
leave it
>>
Quick question...

I have lemon balm and day lillies that have been in my yard for several years (well established).

I'd like to move some of it to another part of my yard.

Can I just dig up a 1ftx1ft patch and move it to another part of the yard and water it? Is it that simple?

Or should I try cloning it instead?
>>
File: donem.jpg (102 KB, 1280x720)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>1290656
>No flowers
But yeah, that shit isn't leggy
>>
File: leafygreens.jpg (55 KB, 630x330)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1290295
>[laughs in rabbit]
Trying making super hot pepper spray and spritz onto leafy greens.
>>
>>1290690
I just recently transplanted some lemon balm I found growing in my backyard. As it is a member of the mint family, they tend to be as hard to kill as weeds.
I just dug up a quart sized bit of soil surrounding a plant and plopped it down in a new spot. A good watering and less than a week later it was growing new shoots.
>>
>>1290604
I have the general hydro lineup and you definitely need calmag as well.

Also start those nutes at 25% and work your way up so you don't get nute burn
>>
>>1290695
Great!

What about the day lillies? Those were my main concern, I wanted to move some day lillies up to next to my driveway/the road.

Then move some lemon balm next to the side of my garage so I can smell it while I'm working in my garage
>>
File: calmag.jpg (40 KB, 1116x117)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1290696
This is straight from their Europe 2018 Catalogue. They imply you only need CalMag if you don't use their mineral fertilizer line and/or use coco coir as medium. I am very Confucius.
>>
>>1290700
Your a Chinese teacher?

I have used general hydro since 2010 in cannabis(legally) and in my tomatoes outside and I can assure you, You will need calmag. I have the empty jugs and healthy plants to prove it.
>>
>getting 4oz of snow peas every day for the last two weeks from 4 plants
>no sign of of stopping
I love snow peas

>squash plants are fucking huge and growing 12in/day
>~15 gigantic squash flowers in bloom
neat
>>
File: th.png (2.08 MB, 1032x774)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
I started a bunch of peppers broccoli and tomatoes inside a few months ago
It seems like I planted them too close together, but this was all the space I had for a garden
I'm excited to see them start producing in the coming weeks
>>
anyone know much about potatoes, especially planting them in early summer? If the Irish could do it, it can't be that hard.
>>
>>1290722
>If the Irish could do it, it can't be that hard.

kek
>>
>>1290721
You might as well cut down all the broccoli now, the bebbers should do okay, and tomatoes may need to be thinned a little.
>>
>>1290295
probably will live. I grow lettuce and chard and I come in with scissors twice a week to take the biggest leaves of every plant.
>>
>>1290310
>not teaching your children to kill for food and self-defense
we teach them to use firearms long before puberty.
>>
>>1290656
FYI, the soil is just on the verge of being too wet, judging from the lower leaves.

>>1290690
>Can I just dig up a 1ftx1ft patch and move it to another part of the yard and water it? Is it that simple?

That is what I do, it works quite fine. You can divide the day lily tubers and spread them out if you wish. The best time to do this is in the fall just after the leaves have died back, but if you are not dividing them and knocking soil off it doesn't matter when you do it. FYI, the tubers and flowers are edible, but not anything else. Don't eat very much of the tubers and I never eat more than 3 flowers a day.

The mint can spread via cuttings or seed. When establishing new patches of mint I usually dig them up and move them first then spread seed around for good measure. Some mints like peppermint are hybrids so it is best to take cuttings or dig them up.

>>1290695
I find it goes great with peppermint in my green tea. 1 tea bag per cup of water with 2 parts peppermint to 1 part lemon mint.

>>1290719
>tfw not having room for sugar snap peas

Life is suffering.

>>1290721
lol Great, but yeah you need to dig up half or more and move them to new spots. The tomato plants can easily get blight being so crowded.

>>1290722
Make sure the cultivar you are going to use has "days to maturity/days to harvest" within the remaining days you have left in your growing season. Some, like indeterminate varieties, can take 120 days before harvest. Others can take as little as 70 days. Sometimes I can get in 2 crops of potatoes in the same ground with short season cultivars.
>>
well I through a sprouted potato into the ground with some hay mulch, we'll see what happens.
>>
File: 20180610_122142.jpg (2.12 MB, 3024x4032)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
is there something wrong with my pepper, or is this leaf curling normal? I transplanted it about a week ago
>>
>>1290759
Check the soil moisture, to make sure it isn't overwatered. It probably isn't anything else since it is so uniform.
>>
>>1290762
that could be it, it's being raining almost every day for the last week. I'll have to cover them up next time and watch the moisture I guess.
>>
>>1290763
The soil type you are using looks about like my mulch. It'll hold extra water for longer, most likely.
>>
>>1290312
>It's common in the southern US for teenagers to hunt and own firearms

Well that explains a lot.
>>
>>1290604
You really don't need to add anything to potting soil for a few months and if you do you are wasting money and probably making it worse
>>
>>1290656
That is not a healthy plant. Overloaded with nutrients under a high power light and it's still the color of iceberg lettuce. Sad!
>>
>>1290847
It doesn't look too bad, though perhaps the soil is holding a bit too much water.

>>1290784
>>1290312
That's all over the USA. It is a rural thing more than anything else. There was a time when you could bring your firearms to school and join the gun club. You'd take recess as the time to plink with the teacher who was in charge of the gun club. You learned about safety for the first week or so then the rest was firearm care, maintenance, stances, calculating trajectories, windage, etc. It was really technical for the most part, but once you got past that it was mostly plinking and follow up studying. Every single person in the club was a member of the NRA.
>>
>>1290728
I really like having so many plants that I can harvest a lot and only take 1 leaf from a few plants.
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65 KB, 526x350)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
NEW THREAD: >>1290852
>>
I want to learn more about how we humans farm bulk crops. Mainly potatoes and I guess wheat. Are there any good resources online for this? Particularly I'd like to get an idea of what the industry as a whole looks like, as well as what new methods are being developed.
>>
>>1291295
See: >>1290852

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.