[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

how does everyone feel about carrying a .22lr wheelgun while /out/?
>>
File: 20180609_161034.jpg (1007 KB, 3264x1836)
1007 KB
1007 KB JPG
>>1290505
I would feel like oh fuck i should be carrying at least a .357
>>
>>1290505

Fun for plinking, fuck it for every thing else.
>>
Just a friendly reminder that threads about weapons which do not pertain to their use in outdoor activities should be posted on /k/ instead. Thanks.
>>
>>1290514

It's a gun that he takes while /out/, so it falls in the rules, so fuck off.
>>
>>1290514
Are you trying to say .22lr has no purpose in the outdoors?
>>
>>1290509
Haven't brought a gun with me while out before, if anything I'll just snug my .300blk pistol build in my pack

unless .357 is good for aggressive wildlife in Texas
>>
>>1290523

.357 works amazing against spics and hogs. So yes.
>>
>>1290530
what about mountain lions?
>>
>>1290533

That too. Also deer, smallish black beer has worked for me too.
>>
>>1290537

Bear* after a few drinks, it's fun to shoot beer cans too.
>>
>>1290505
Bad idea, especially your pic
.22lr needs a heavier hammer strike to get proper ignition compared to centerfire primers. In a wheelgun this translates into very heavy DA trigger pulls. IIRC The Ruger LCRx's trigger is nearly 20 POUNDS. If you know anything about firearms, you'll realize how ridiculous it is. Therefore single action shooting is basically mandatory if you want to achieve any sort of accuracy. Of course a heavy DA pull means manually cocking the hammer is going to be heavy as well.

What can a .22lr reliably instantly kill in one shot?
Rodents, birds, rabbits
What do you notice about these animals? They're small and fast and they generally don't stay still. So you'll have to either take snap shots with the DA trigger, or back the hammer for each shot and hope you still have bead on your target (or carry it cocked, which is a terrible idea for a revolver).

Get a 4-6 inch revolver in .357 magnum or .44 magnum if bears are a serious concern.
>>
>>1290552
Good points anon.
>>
I got into missing 411, don't step foot /out/ without a gun, hiking buddy, and gps transponder now
>>
>>1290505
For what purpose?
>>
>>1290533
As a rule Felines are fragile
>>
>>1290514

Fuck off commie scum.
>>
>>1290505
i don't feel anything about it, just like your target won't
>>
File: 1485384341458a.webm (2.76 MB, 480x480)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB WEBM
>>1290505
>wheelgun

"Revolver".

Also, .22lr is a perfect caliber and power for varmints and unobtrusive plinking. Use hollow points for animals and solid core for plinking. While .22lr can kill something as large as a deer (illegal to do), only with a head shot, it is better to use .22wmr for larger non-combatant animals like coyotes. It will depend on the regulations in your area too, since that is also a rimfire cartridge. Regs may only allow centerfire cartridges for some animals. For scaring off people, it doesn't matter what caliber you use, people generally don't like getting shot and readily avoid it. For combatant animals like big cats, hogs, bears, etc, you'll need something more if you don't have a good can of spray with you. The best part about .22lr is the amount of ammo you can bring along without adding much weight. Same goes for .22wmr, but it is a lot more noisy.

As far as pistols and revolvers go. They are okay when you are doing something else, but want to have something to shoot with when you cross paths with something else. They don't get in your way while working and such. For dedicated animal shooting and plinking I prefer a rifle. They are heavier and bulky, but they make up for it in accuracy and being quieter. They also have better muzzle velocity though that depends on the individual firearm most of the time. If I have to choose between a pistol and a revolver, I'd go with a pistol since it can carry more rounds. Unless you have custom sights, both won't be as accurate as I like and I'd need a lot more practice with both to feel more competent. Because of that, I'd want more rounds to fire between reloading. compare that to the single-shot, break down, .22short-.22lr rifle I use now for varmints. I've never missed a single shot with it even though it has shitty pistol style sights.
>>
>>1290639
That is an awesome shot.

>Something something beam me up scotty.
>>
>>1290505
The LCR-X in .22 is a plinking toy. It's light sure, but isn't half as useful as a takedown rifle or a revolver that is chambered to actually kill something bigger than rogue squirrels at 10 yards. No WMR does not really matter until you get to rifle length barrels, it just makes it a louder and more expensive 22lr.
>>
>>1290514
fuck off, LNT fuck ....FUCK
>>
>>1290505
they are great fun, plinking is always a good time. but do not assume that it will have any use for defense or hunting. granted something is better than nothing, but a 22 out of a short barrel is enough to get you in trouble. if that is the purpose grab a larger bore pistol and or animal spray.

if you are trying to do some plinking maximus get a single action 22 revolver.

id recommend a heritage rough rider, sighting them in can be a pain but they are affordable .
>>
>>1290505
They're fun.
>>
>>1290514
Are you calling a .22lr a weapon?
>>
>>1290866
Considering a shit load of people have been killed by .22lr, you bet it is a weapon.
>>
>>1290514
ignore eurocuck posts
>>
>>1290510
This. Plinking, is great with a .22, typically it's a light weight pistol, ammo is lightweight and very little space, or if you are in a snake heavy area, then loading with snakeshot (essentially a .22 caliber shotgun shell) is very handy. I ran into this scenario a while back. I have a rough rider .22, that I was going to take while i was going /out/ to stay at my friends 'cabin in the woods'. Where they live though, there are bear, coyote, and wolves, and if I was unfortunate to stumble across one that wants to attack me, or one stumbles across us and wants to fight us, and scaring it away isn't an option (i'd rather not shoot an animal unless I absolutely have to) . I'd rather have something more powerful than my little .22 to knock it down like one of my 9mm pistols or my .44 magnum

Then there's the extremely rare 'psycho killer / guy high on LSD, bath salts, or something in the woods argument... lol.. in that case.. i'll run my .44 and pulverize whatever is around me.
>>
>>1290505
Good enough for rabbits and hares, to small for almost anything else. since I'm not to good of a shot, I'd bring a .22 carbine instead. But as long as it gets some meat for the pot, I'm fine with anything.
>>
File: 22-ammo-types.jpg (138 KB, 600x609)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>1291244
>shotshell

Make sure you use brass cartridge ones. I still have a piece of shrapnel in my leg from a .22lr shotshell that had a cartridge made of some grey-silver metal (pic). The rim, where the hammer hits, exploded. The shot shell was intact, but the explosion went out the rim, and down into the magazine. There was a nice little explosion when the entire magazine of exploding shotshells were blown into my thighs.
>>
>>1291136
What's with all these prejudices against euros? we're not the ones who have to get a permit to carry a knife and wait three days before taking a new gun home.
>>
>>1290505
Would if I could
>>
File: 1360517967165.png (18 KB, 626x551)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>1291403
>n-n-no, you!
>>
>>1290639
Bow fishers are the worst, especially if your doing it off of a dam. Also the asshole in the vid obviously has no idea its illegal to kill grass carp.
>>
>>1291403
aren’t you the ones who have to dull the tips of their kitchen knives to make them safer?
>>
>>1290505
Barrel not long enough.
I'd like a 22lr target revolver, my semi auto target pistol is too high maintenance to take out and I can't shoot primer rounds for discreet killing of cats and squirrels because the clip jams.
>>
>>1292156
>muh sportsmanship
>muh Laws
keep licking that boot
>>
>>1292160
No, that's the brits. which is why we're glad that they've left the EU.
We're the guys (germany) who can legally carry a Zweihänder and as many flintlocks as we want into a school without needing a permit, no matter if they're concealed or not. And before you ask, yes, I've done that two times just to piss of SJWs.
We don't have any of that "waiting period" or "gun free zone" crap. The only restrictions we have that the US doesn't is that guns need to be registered within three months of buying them and that full-auto is limited to "collectors" (which usually means buying a Luger and a K98 first so you can get an MP40).
>>
>>1292175
>muh sportsmanship
It feels good to be an honest sportsman practicing outdoor activities in an honest manor. You should try it some time.
>muh laws
Not sure what you mean by this. You approve of people breaking laws? Are you a poor person that does not land by any chance?
>>
>>1292175
>>
>>1290505
.22 is fine for /out/ (as long as it's not a defensive gun) but wheelguns kinda kill the main draw of it--suppression.

Every time I go to my farm I have my MkIII with suppressor on my hip. I've killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with it, and even got a coyote one time. Small and light enough to be out of the way, accurate enough to place kill shots out to ~20 yards with irons on squirrels.

Squirrels are in season 10 months of the year here.
>>
>>1290594
Not to mention the murdercats top out at like 140lbs with most wild ones under 90.
>>
>>1292156
>bow fishers aren't as cool as me guys
>I just hang a flaccid line into the water and sit in a lawn chair until something makes me put my drink down
The worst fishers are people in $2500 kayaks with foot pedals and active sonar huds sitting out in lanes of traffic.
>>
There are rules for gunfights OP
Number 1 rule: have a gun.
>>
>>1290523
.357 will take down any game in North America. There is an article from the 1930's detailing Doug Wesson's hunts with a .357 magnum revolver. He took everything from antelope and elk at a 100+ yards to a 700 pound grizzly.
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (117 KB, 1920x1080)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>1290505
>.22lr

Shoot!
>>
>>1291403
>carry a gun home
You don't even make it to the purchasing step.

>>1292192
In other words,
>restrictions
Go buy an AR with a 30-round mag and we'll talk. You talk about this "three-day" thing like it's federal law, Christ.
>>
>>1290514
fuck off, pussy
>>
>>1290639
>"revolver"

smoke wagon
>>
>>1292213
you should have posted the pic of the mountain of buffalo skulls, it would have been less memey, but more appropriate for the argument
>>
>>1292156
When was it illegal to kill grass carp and where?
>>
>>1292480
>You don't even make it to the purchasing step.
Mind elaborating on that? Until now, I never had trouble purchasing guns, and as far as I know, there's not a single law that could ever change that. Just go in the store, show ID, show my hunting permit (for guns that require it, many don't), hand over the money and take the gun home. And that's in germany, which has the strictest laws around.
In Austria, where I lived some years ago, I didn't even have to show ID for non-automatic firearms or ammo. Just enter the store, tell the owner what gun I wanted, pay, pack up the gun and leave.
>Go buy an AR with a 30-round mag and we'll talk.
Why would I waste money on a shitty american toy?
If you're referring to the mag capacity, I've got a 7.62 Saiga (Basically a semi-auto AK with short barrel, pistol grip and folding stock, Saiga's just the trade name) with a 30 rounder (32, I think, but I've never loaded it completely since the springs kinda weak) on it.
Completely legal to own, only the usage for hunting is restricted. For some reason, when taking the first shot at an animal, there must not be more than 2 cartridges in the mag.

>You talk about this "three-day" thing like it's federal law, Christ.
Well forgive me for not knowing every single law in some state halfway around the globe. At least I don't elevate random leftist bullshit like blunting kitchen knives to law level.
>>
>>1292662
I only know for sure that in NC, SC, OK, VA, and TX that it is illegal to harm or take sterile triploid (grass carp) from the water. They cant reproduce because they are sterilized before being imported. They only feed on vegetation, not fish or there eggs.
>>
>>1292679
Based krautposter

I never knew you guys were so free with guns
>>
>>1291244
Hey, LSD makes me hug my pillow and fall in love with the world, not want to kill people :(
>>
>>1292806
In NC we're using them to clean out all the shitty polluted bodies of water and we have them in hatcheries. Technically it would be stealing them. I actually put two of them in the pond behind my house but the algae has gone into overdrive and the gators might have gotten one.

>>1292679
>hating ARs and thinking Saigas are good
my /k/ sense is tingling
>>
>>1292264

Jealous we can fish all the marks you can't, faggot?
>>
>>1290505
Extremely dumb. Use a caliber that can actually be useful.
>>
>>1292867
I don't fish. You are definitely a fag though.
>>
>>1290514
Just a friendly reminder that a thread about what gun to carry while /out/ pertains to their use in outdoor activities.

If you get a .357 or .38 special you can get snake shot.
>>
>>1290514

Fuck off faggot
>>
>>1290514
YOU MOM GAY
>>
>>1292827
its really not as bad as anyone always thinks it is. once you have your permit there isnt really much stopping you from getting the stuff you want. please dont throw us into the same pot as the brits, they are a lost cause
>>
>>1290505

I go with a .22lr semiauto. If I brought a revolver it would be something higher caliber (just out of principle).
>>
>>1292480

I've never lived in a state where you can't walk out of the store with the gun you just purchased.
>>
>>1290514

stop being a cunt/'
>>
>>1293318
Yeah Florida use to be like that......

Rick Scott needs to be hit by a school bus.
>>
>>1290505
MURICA, FUCK YEAH
>>
>>1292827
so Parts of the eu have pretty relaxed laws.
like the Czechia. Easy CC and lots of freedom if collecting.

A – Restricted firearms and accessories (collector)

Includes full automatic firearms, military firearms and ammunition not inspected and marked for civilian use, some types of ammunition such as armor-piercing and incendiary ammunition, night vision scopes, suppressors. The use of hollow point ammunition in pistols is also restricted, however, hollow points are legal to purchase for rifles and pistol carbines.[60]

B – Guns requiring permit (sporting )

Includes semi automatic and single or multiple shot handguns, revolvers, semi automatic rifles and shotguns with magazine capacity over 3 rounds or with a detachable magazine, semi automatic "military" style rifles, rim-fire firearms under 280 mm of length and all shotguns under 600 mm of length, flare guns with caliber larger than 16mm

and 18 is normal age 21 for some stuff. you can start at 16/15 if you are in a club/ hunting class at school
>>
>>1290552
>IIRC The Ruger LCRx's trigger is nearly 20 POUNDS.
This and the rest of your post is a great indication that you have no fucking idea what you're talking about
>>
File: Beretta21A_Suppressed.jpg (182 KB, 1280x720)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>1292228
I've thought a lot about this concept- the ultimate outdoor plinker. Do you like the your ruger for the purpose?
>>
>>1290552

While I didn't know that, I was of the opinion that .22LR - while a good shot for training in marksmanship and generally fun plinking, ditto with 22 short - isn't very practical in a "hunting" situation unless the animal is quite small, at which point I'd want a rifle and not a revolver (I'm a shit shot with handguns), and at which point I'd probably want a rifle or intermediate cartridge anyways.
>>
>>1295600

This doofus again.

If all you really wanted to do was scare the shit out of squirrels and shit and maybe shoot cans or whatever with the boys, it's a great compact round and you could get a fairly small gun as well. As long as you don't have the expectation to kill anything big with it.
>>
I don't trust anything smaller than 357 or 10mm for bears or hogs, let alone 2 legged predators.
>>
>>1293885
The LCRx. 22's DA trigger is absolutely that heavy.
Name literally one thing I said wrong.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.