[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 130.jpg (220 KB, 512x512)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
Old thread: >>1286852

Search terms:

Agriculture - Permaculture - Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Berkeley Method Hot Composting - Hugelkultur - Rooftop Gardening - Vertical Gardening - Subsistence Agriculture - Square Foot Gardening - Shifting Cultivation - Polyculture - Composting - Ley Farming - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Co-operative Farming - Orchard - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Sugar Bush - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method - Ruth Stout No-work Garden - Rain Gutter Garden - Core Gardening Method - Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System

Animal Husbandry - Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees / Apiary - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish - Donkey - Ostrich - Worms - Snails / Heliciculture - Black Soldier Fly (BSF) - Beefalo - Guineafowl

Resources:

General Information, videos, and Tips(Version 2018-4-24): https://pastebin.com/fgtfcmLH
Beginner Fungi/Mushroom/Mycology Guide: https://pastebin.com/ddb6fAPS

Homegrowmen Thread Archives (WinRAR/WinZip/7Zip etc open rar archive files):

Threads "1" to 105 plus extras:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/lbotds76751ws79/Homegrowmen%20Threads%20Mar-20-2013%20to%20Sep-29-2017.rar

Threads 106 to 111:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/s1dycle6n9a06n5/Homegrowmen+Threads+Sep-29-2017+to+Dec-31-2017.rar

Threads 112 to 120:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9do2m6i125daocc/Homegrowmen+Threads+Dec+30+2017+to+April+6+2018.rar
>>
>>1290852
Why can't we get some decent op pics
>>
>>
>didn't get around to planting greens like swiss chard, lettuce and spinach this year

is it too late to grow them from seed in containers?
>>
>>1290865
>lettuce and spinach
These I am 100% sure you can do.
>>
>>1290865
p sure those grow p fast so i think youll be fine
>>
Gardening has made me become a more productive alcoholic
>>
File: 1493158085726.jpg (67 KB, 500x525)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>1290855
>>
>Have broody hen
>Acquire 4 fertilized eggs from a neighbor
>Over the weeks two disappear without a trace, no shells, fragments or mess, right out from under the hen
>last night the remaining two chicks begin hatching
>One is gone without a trace in the morning
>Other one either dies and is partially eaten by the hens or killed by the hens.

Fucking dinosaurs. also have a mystery predator that can somehow get into my coop and steal an entire egg and a chick. Snake?
>>
>>1290905
Very early alien cattle mutilation
>>
>>1290906
what caliber should I shoot it with
>>
File: 1490930459984.webm (2.96 MB, 960x540)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB WEBM
>>1290905
>rub a dub dub thanks for the grub
>>
>>1290912
I think it's time for me to violate some city ordinances and fuck up a nigger racoon.
>>
>>1290915
Is there some kind of department that deals with Nature shit? Over here you report these kind of thing and they just capture the guy and release him 100 km away.
>>
>>1290925
Here if the animal isn't sick they release it somewhere near where it was retrieved from.

I may as well make it disappear myself, which isn't illegal.
>>
>>1290905
Pic of coop?

>>1290908
>>1290915
>>1290930
.22lr hollow point or live trap then drowning
>>
>>1290908
high fps pellet gun for stealth or quiet .22 rounds
>>
I have two indoor plants and I've read that I shouldn't water them if the soil is still damp. Should I continue waiting even if it's been two days? Should I wait even more? One is a mint and the other are cherry tomatos.
>>
>>1290994
Soil should have some water retention capacity.
How is the drainage on the pots?
Two days is not much unless they are really large and full on sun. If in doubt you can always water them from the bottom until you get a feel on the water retention capacity of the pots.
>>
>>1290994
Yeah, allow the top 2 inches to go dry between waterings. If the plants start drooping, when the weather is cool or the sun is not shining on them, consider giving them more water.
>>
>>1290994
Tomatoes indoors? That's very tricky, because even a southern window indoors equals at best semi-shade outdoors, so if nit doesn't cool down at least over night, they'll become leggy quickly
>>
>>1290912
>>1290915
raccoons, woodchucks, skunks can be shot here any time of year without a license
>>
>>1290337
>My strawberry is putting down new roots- is this a good sign?
yes

I had a ton of runners last year, but literally no berries....this year they're producing berries like crazy
>>
Too hard to green text sorry

Be me
Working in garden
Planting onions for the AgrarianRepublic™
Reach the end of my last row
Large pile of leaves to my right
Decide to put onions in the leaf pile
Start digging a hole in the pile with fingers
Put one in
Dig another
Put another Onionboi in
Do this about six times
Seventh hole is reached
Start digging
I uncover about 6 inches of leaves
I turn it over
A force that can only be described as catastrophically organized attacks me
Over 300 fire ants are on my arm attacking me
Painsolargeiwantedsuicide.exe
So many bites
Thought i would die
Idea.com
Have a can of bug spray 5 feet away
Spray all of the ants with ant form of zyclon b
They all fall to the ground
But im not done
I must burn their homes to the ground
I regroup
My arm in throbbing pain
A reminder of why im about to commit genocide
Go into garage
Grab torch
Grab ant killer 3000
I go into battle that lasts nearly 10 minutes
Estimates of casualties range from 800 to 800,000
When the smoke dies down
Nothing remained of the fire ant tribe
Go back to planting onions
>>
>>1291005
>>1291006
>>1291012
The mint has okay drainage and sits in a west facing window. The tomato has really good drainage but is in a pot a fair bit bigger than the plant and sits under a light. They both look good so far I just figured I'd get more information on it while I can since this is my first time trying to grow anything. I'll keep an eye on them and if they start looking like they need water despite the soil I'll keep them hydrated. Thanks for the advice though!
>>
>>1291137
With good drainage you can water the mint regularly without any problem. They like it so. With the tomato you better wait a few days and stick your finger on the top soil and if dry then water thoroughly.
>>
>>1291175

>Really impressed with the San Marzano tomatoes in particular

You won't be when you taste them. Cut your losses and plant something better
>>
>>1290852
I made a thread but someone directed me here, some people said the plants are fine and some said I’m fuckt

Are these plants dead I forgot to water them they aren’t mine
>>
>>1291202
What kind of plants are they?
They should be fine, the stalks look like they're still alive. Just water them and let them be, they'll most likely look normal by tomorrow after they get some sun.
>>
>>1291202
Do they have any drainage? If not, it's extremely easy to over-water.
>>
Im growing peas. corn, squash, cucumbers, and 3 types of melon. All going pretty well, but I think i planted the peas too early, they are growing super slow, been in the ground for a good 3 weeks now, and they are mostly only about 5 inches tall.
>>
>>1291202
Do they have a surce to drain from or is the water just stagnated in the containers. Also Most rootzones hate open sunlight. So, watch out for that
>>
>>1291218
2 months i meant
>>
>>1291212
I’m generally liable to under water plants so it should be ok on that front hopefully

>>1291203
That’s reassuring
And No idea someone just asked me to water them and I got sick and completely forgot

Yeah the top of the plants seem fine and the stem seems in great condition but I got no experience so I don’t know if they’re as good as dead after getting limp. I’m surprised they’re doing this well considering no water for up to 5 days
>>
>>1291219
Some have drains but these ones don’t

Is there something I should do?
>>
>>1291223
It's not just about underwatering, though. Roots generally can't tolerate sitting in standing water, so even if you've watered once they might have been sitting in stagnant water for a while. You'd have to water more often, but much less, I think.
>>
>>1291225
So you mean I should keep them in a state where the soil is perpetually damp and the water isn’t pooled?
>>
>>1291229
Yes, if you can't give them drainage. If they have drainage, then you can give them much more water and it won't stagnate, making it easier to maintain. I think drainage might be good for other reasons too, but standing water one of the major factors.
>>
>>1291191
Roma's are great for industrial farms and commercial canning. Kind of pointless for home grows
>>
>>1291234
What would you recommend for next year?

Besides the 5 San Marzano, we planted 2 Black Krim, 2 Brandywine, 2 Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, 2 Momotaro, 2 Mandarin, 2 Big Beef, 2 Carbon, 1 Blue Beauty, 1 Wyche's Yellow, and 2 Tomatillos.
>>
>>1291232
Yeah it looks like these are the worst precisely because they are the only ones without any drainage

I’ll take them to my room and baby them around the clock monitoring five star resort
>>
File: IMG_20180611_025140784.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024)
3 MB
3 MB JPG
This is growing in a pot on my porch, any idea what it it? Sometimes o throw random fruit seeds in pots to see if they'll sprout. My best guesses are grapes or some sort of citrus. Any ideas?
>>
>>1291262

looks like poison ivy
>>
All the fruit trees my grandparents planted started slowly dying in the past two years. Already ended the misery of a couple of cherry trees, will probably finish the rest off this year. Do you have any favourite fruit tree varieties, /out/? Something hardy for zone 6a.
>>
>>1291191
>Do you really think they'll be bad?
I grew them last year and am doing so again this year

cooked them in pasta, roasted them, made salsa...no problems at all, they tasted like tomatoes

>>1291218
my peas haven't been growing very fast...but they just got re-planted last week
>>
reposting in new thread:

I want to learn more about how we humans farm bulk crops. Mainly potatoes and I guess wheat. Are there any good resources online for this? Particularly I'd like to get an idea of what the industry as a whole looks like, as well as what new methods are being developed.
>>
>>1291191
The whole hate on Roma related ones is because people misuse them as sandwich or straight to mouth tomatoes, which they're not supposed to be.
In sauces they're fine
>>
my tomatoes are slowing down in growth rate after they passed the 1.5m height (cherry tomatoes, all the extra growths get plucked) is it normal or am i giving it too little water or something
>>
>>1290915
>>1290930
>>1290938

Update:
Trapped a big possum last night, gave it it's last rites this morning and then showed it lead and the bottom of a bucket.
May God have mercy on his soul and mine.

Will report with what I trap tonight.

New latches on the coop too and a padlock or two soon.
>>
File: caterpillar.jpg (458 KB, 1150x1909)
458 KB
458 KB JPG
Greetings. I have a bunch of these guys on the nasturtium that's under my (((buddleia))). I don't mind them munching a bunch of leaves, as long as it doesn't disrupt the blooming much or completely wreck the looks of the plant. The nasturtium is purely for looks.
I'm fairly certain it's pieris brassicae, which like munching nasturtium, according to Wikipedia.

Since there are only a couple of them and the whole point of the buddleia is to attract butterflies, should I just leave them?
>>
File: wasp.jpg (1.6 MB, 4400x2200)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>1291315
I guess I wasn't the only one stalking those caterpillars. Nature certainly is a harsh mistress.
>>
>>1291262
doesn't look like grapes desu
>>
>>1291323
the one good thing hornets have ever done

maybe I shouldn't have took a flamethrower to their nest last week
>>
>>1291282

>they tasted like cooked tomatoes
>>
>>1291184
san marzano are good tomatoes, what are you talking about? what do you consider a good tomato?
>>
File: cutepoo.jpg (51 KB, 511x403)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
homegrowmen, recommend me some sandwich or straight to mouth tomato strains that burst with flavor.
big bland sauce tomatoes need not apply
>>
>>1291338
I think cherry tomatoes have the best flavor. Get a pack of mixed heirlooms.
>>
>>1291305
Pretty normal. Lots of branches and leaves to feed and grow.
>>
>>1291296
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J6Ydd_3abY
>>
>>1291338
I like Mortgage Lifters. They aren't too watery, have a nice texture, low in acid and a very nice flavour.
>Sandwich
You also need one slice for a normal sandwich.
>>
Update (that nobody probably cares about): I just woke up and the plants are actually doing noticeably better, some of the leaves that were completely fucked are back in action but I’ll have to cut my losses with a couple branches probably

Also these plants in picrelated are THIRSTY BOIS they drank so much drainage water bone dry
>>
File: Cross-Peppers.jpg (42 KB, 632x140)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1291183
Remember that not all peppers will cross.
Also it will take 8-9 generations to create a perfectly stable strain.

Not to rain on your parade or discouraging you. Pepper crossing is fun.

>Carolina Reaper x Orange Habanero
Orange Reapers, man.

Also "The Complete Chilli Pepper Book" by Paul W. Bosland has a neat section about pepper crossing.
>>
>>1291364
And compare that to last night (picrelated), these plants fuckin STRONK

No water for 5 days they don’t give a hoot
>>
Help, /hgm/.
My Goji Berries have mildew, what do?
Read about spraying them with a milk/water solution, did that, doesn't help that much.

>>1291364
I care.
In fact I like care about all updates Anons make here about their gardens. People creating, growing, working and reap the results. It's nice to see.
>>
>>1291370
ur rad anon and so is this general that I didn’t even know existed
>>
>>1291202
Those were overwatered at one point then underwatered. They also don't have enough light (stalks are too thin). They might bounce back if they are watered properly and get more light. There needs to be drainage holes in all containers, hence the overwatering problem with some (yellow bottom leaves).

>>1291218
The peas probably need some nutrients, like nitrogen. They are normally cool spring weather plants. So long as frost doesn't zap them, you can't plant too early. Planting too late when it is much hotter can be a problem with some.

>>1291229
Lightly damp, 2 inches below the surface before watering again.

>>1291241
For sauce, Italian red pear tomato.

>>1291262
Fruit tree of some kind.

>>1291271
Peaches, black mulberries (dwarf), apples, walnut, cherry, paw paw, pear, and blueberry.

>>1291296
https://www.wheatworld.org/wheat-101/
http://howtogrowpotatoes.website/

>>1291305
It depends on cultivar. I think all cherry tomatoes are indeterminate. If you let them grow freely they won't grow tall as fast due to all the side shoots. If you are trimming them, they will shoot to the moon. Since yours are slowing down, either the weather has been poor, getting cooler, or there's not enough nutrients for them. Are they in open ground or a pot?

>>1291313
I keep my coop locked with a padlock too. Raccoons are smart enough to open anything unlocked it seems.

>>1291315
>>1291323
Those are moth caterpillars, but their winged version looks a bit like a butterfly. They totally tear up brassica plants like mad. If you have a vegetable garden with brassica plants, you'd need to cover them with insect cloth to protect them or get militant about the moths. Otherwise, they are quite fine. I encourage wasp nesting in my garden to help eat the caterpillars.

>>1291338
Purple Cherokee.

>>1291364
Yeah, those didn't look too bad, just underwatered in the older image. Cucumbers are heavy water drinkers.

>>1291370
Spray them twice a day with stiff water. Use a fungicide.
>>
>>1291377
>Those were overwatered at one point then underwatered
thats funny the person taking care of them before me probably overwatered them and i underwatered them

poor plants. she's gonna wonder why almost half of the branches are missing but i can just feign ignorance
>>
>>1291377
Thank you, Anon, but:
>stiff water
Apologize my ignorance, but what is stiff water?
>>
>>1291377
>Are they in open ground or a pot?
they are indeterminate growth on open ground, since it's my first year at this i made half of them let grow relatively free (1/3 side shot allowed, will top them after the first flower branch) and the other half full trimmed, with only one main branch (just want to experiment and see the results)
the weather hasnt been especially great, yeah, maybe that is a contributor
>>
>>1291388
A stiff spray of water. You are trying to rinse off the powdery mildew. Use the stiffest spray you can without damaging the leaves or darkening (also damage.) Powdery mildew thrives in drier conditions. I'm about to give up on my goji. All of mine look terrible due to flea beetle damage and the only one from last year was destroyed when a friendly helper pulled it up because they thought it was a weed.

Good luck!

>>1291390
Tomato plants are thirsty plants in open ground. If there's no mulch you can expect at least 1 gallon of water a day per plant (depends on soil drainage.) FYI, you can take any 4" or longer side shoot, cut it off, and plant it up to the last 2 leaves, keep it watered and it will grow into a new plant. It is a great way to help prevent blight problems, extend your season, and crops.
>>
>>1291396
>mulch
placed it, together with a drop irrigation system but i dont really know how much i water them, usually 40-60 mins but those irrigators can go from 2 to 15 L/h so im not sure how much they get, i usually touch them and if i dont feel them very firm i will give some extra water
neat trick, i will try it out, did kinda by mistake with a melon plant i bought, a branch broke in the transport and i placed it in a pot without much hope but it seems to be alive even if weakened, a flower pop'd up today
>>
File: DSC_3155c.jpg (3.66 MB, 3072x4781)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
Minor update. These pics are from a couple days ago. Most everything seems to be doing fine. The rhubarb has been having trouble, I think I'll pull it and put it in different soil in a shadier spot. The weather has been super wet lately. The corn, potatoes, and sorghum in the garden of clay don't seem to like it. Even the weeds are having trouble there. Everything in raised beds is going nuts with growth and fruiting. That includes the purple majesty potatoes, which are blooming and have nearly taken over not only their bed but the walkways beside it too. It is kind of amazing how well they are doing. Watermelon , zucchini, crookneck squash, tomatoes, and cucumber fruit are all coming on.

The score of the groundhog war is:

Groundhogs: 28
Farmer: 8

The conibear trap has been devastating on their ranks. I've been moving the trap and filling tunnels as I go. The hole I filled last night was completely excavated so I'll be moving the trap again. I need 3 traps for proper coverage. the chipmunk living in my asparagus bed has started to become a problem. I'm getting a rat trap and some mouse traps to make traps for the chipmunk and voles.
>>
>>1291397
Last season I didn't have enough room to start all the tomato plants I wanted. So, I allowed the first set to grow some branches then snapped them off and planted them. My garden went from 25 tomato plants to over 100. This year, I had more than enough room for tomatoes and I've only been making cuttings for a couple varieties I want extras.
>>
>>1291400
really nice
since you seem to know your shit about it, do you have some sort of tutorial for proceeding to grow your own seeds? i bought the plants this year since i wasnt really confident and an year ago i tried with habaneros but the results were mediocre at best, also had to really always keep an eye on them or they would die
but i dont want to spend all that money again
>>
>>1291396
Thank you for the explanation.
Hope your Gojis make it as well.

>one from last year was destroyed when a friendly helper pulled it up because they thought it was a weed
Well, shit. I label all my stuff autistically for that reason alone.
>>
Rate my little vegetable garden
>>
File: garden.jpg (2.04 MB, 4032x3024)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
So my mini garden is doing pretty well despite getting raped by thunderstorms over the last 5 days.
Both tomatoes are growing like mad and flower, the peperocini is flowering but strangely always dropping a few of them, the other 2 peppers are finally growing, the strawberry has it's first 3 fruits and the salad well he didn't enjoy the weather but would be ready to be picked.
/blog
>>
>>1291408
small but cute and healthy, dat lack of tomatoes tho
>>
>>1291338
S. pimpinellifolium, if you don't mind the tiny yield
>>
File: DSCN0788a.jpg (1.84 MB, 1024x3060)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>1291397
I forgot to mention that if you try tomato cuttings, remove all the leaves up to the top 2 inches of leaves. Bury them to the bottom of those remaining leaves, water them, and most importantly, keep them shaded from the sun for a full week. Pics from last season of that process.

>tfw I forgot to shade the last ones I planted and they are all shriveled and dead

Oh well, it isn't like I have a shortage of volunteer tomato plants.

>>1291404
Save seeds from the best looking fruit and healthiest plants. Rinse the seeds. Put the seeds into a glass of water over night to 24 hours (depends on tomato cultivar) then hose them off in a sieve. Spread them on a paper towel and allow them to dry completely. Put in a paper envelope with date, cultivar name, and any other info you need. When you want to use them, soak them for 12 hours in water, and plant them either in the ground outside or in seed trays indoors. For trays use a humidity dome and a seed heat mat for quick germination. Remove the dome and heat mat after the seedlings get 2 true leaves. You can also germinate the seeds in a ziploc bag that has a damp paper towel in it. Just set the seeds on the paper towel. Open the bag and put new air into it once a day. Keep it in a warm place. As soon as the seeds sprout, but them in soil or whatever hydroponics system.

The same thing goes for pepper seeds except add a strong light over them in the ziploc bag and omit the rinsing and soaking "over night to 24 hours" thing when you save them. You only soak them before germinating them. Start both types indoors about 1 month before your area's last frost date. Give the seedlings tons of light. If you use polytunnels, you can set them out earlier than normal if the inside temps are high enough at night.

FYI, you can make cuttings from pepper plants too.

>>1291406
Thanks. I have too much stuff to label. lol

>>1291408
Looks really good for the apparent lack of good soil.
>>
>>1291409
Looks good. The peppers are dropping due to odd weather most likely. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Just make sure they are watered as evenly as you can.
>>
>>1291409
Peppers dropping flowers because they're not getting pollinated. Shake your plants a bit, or take a cotton swab and collect some pollen and hand-pollinate them to ensure they fruit. Same thing happened to my chilis, started shaking the plant and now they all fruit consistently.
>>
>>1291408
>>1291414
Seconding the notion that it looks really nice considering your soil looks almost like a beach.
>>1291410
>dat lack of tomatoes tho
Dat lack of peppers tho
>>
>>1291421
Well seems like I have good soil, I have absolutely no knowledge of gardening and the only thing I did was using some soil of my compost and dropping some cheap seeds in it. I water them every day but we have a really hot summer here in Germany at the moment.
>>
>>1291408
looks really nice. Good job buddy.

>>1291416
Thanks, yeah the weather has been kinda harsh in the last few days. Hot days and furious thunderstorms every evening and now it will rain for straight 3 days oh well. I try my best to keep them evenly watered but the raised bed really holds well onto water so I haven't watered them for over 10 days beside spraying the salad a bit every evening.

>>1291420
Thats a good idea, gonna try that tomorrow.
>>
>>1291422
The color of the soil says a great deal about its quality. Without amending it with compost you'd probably get almost nothing of real note from it. One year I planted a few rows of crops out in a section I never do anything with. All I did was water them. I didn't fertilize, mulch or use compost. It was a horror show. I think the corn grew about 1 foot.
>>
>>1291414
really nice, thanks for both answers, would half-sun be also too much for that tomato trick to do?
>>
Cardinal climber is doing pretty well outside
>>
>>1291427
4 hours of direct sunlight would probably make tomato cuttings look like cooked spaghetti. 2 hours might be okay, but only after a couple days of full shade. It is best to keep them in full shade for a week. You can put them in pots which may be easier to place somewhere for a week that's shady or under sheets. Then plant them where ever they need to go later when they perk up after a week.
>>
>>1291431
>pots
yeah i will do that, much easier to protect when they are still small, maybe can gift some around, not that they are particulary expensive to buy but still
>>
>>1291427
Not him, but go with no sun. I just grew out some suckers that I put directly in potting soil and for the first week even 15 minutes of sun was too much. After a week they could handle dappled sunlight after two weeks full sun
>>
Does anyone else use these on the end of a heavy goodyear hose or similar? The goodyear and continental are great, last many years (11 here so far) but they are heavy. Was thinking about getting a lightweight extension for them.
>>
>>1291432
You can use a Dixie cup, a beer can a cardboard box or a plastic bag
>>
File: IMG_20180603_110043_046.jpg (307 KB, 1080x1294)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
>>1291310
Thanks, some DoSiMints breed by sincityseeds
(Dosido x sinmint cookies) that phenotype is more sinmint cookie dominant
This one is more DoSiDo
>>
File: DSC_3012a.jpg (742 KB, 1024x1362)
742 KB
742 KB JPG
>>1291432
>>1291433
Top pic is a few days after cutting and potting. Bottom pic is what mine look like today. They were under a tree in the yard and got about 1-2 hours of direct sunlight a day.

>>1291435
I have a really heavy duty garden hose for my main garden. I've been considering an end attachment like that for it. Mine is a second hand hose that's like 10 years old or so. It looks like a GoodYear hose. I figured I'd just put a length of regular hose on it, maybe 10 feet or so. I use quick connectors on everything.
>>
>>1291455
Thinking about it more I do have some lengths of flexzilla hose, that stuff is super light weight.
>>
>>1290898
Grow well, little pepper!
>>
>>1291452
You know the whole purpose of screen of green is topping and tucking right?

Because you literally done neither of those
>>
>>1290898
>>
>>1291427
>>1291433
From my (limited) experience with taking cuttings in general, short day works better than long day. For example rosemary cuttings rooted within a couple days in September nearly 100%, while it totally failed in May, in otherwise identical conditions. Similar with tomato.
I randomly guess that it takes a few hours after photosynthesis stops before root growth begins or something like that
So if you do it now (in the N hemisphere), I guess artificially shortening the daylight to 10 hours or so (by doing it indoors then closing the shutters at appropriate times, or a timed grow light in an otherwise dark room) might help
>>
File: DSC_0100.jpg (3.74 MB, 1800x1198)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
I am loving the clover as living mulch this year
>>
>>1291667
I tried using salad/stir fry greens as living mulch. It is turning out pretty nice so far. Though, I simply can't keep up with eating that much.
>>
>>1291670
nice!
>>
>>1291329
which is the right way to eat them
>>
File: 1528684314252.gif (2.58 MB, 416x307)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB GIF
>tfw there is still frost warnings coming into effect

I feel bad for the blueberry farmers in my area, they are getting wiped the fuck out. also I have to cover the plants every few nights which is annoying as fuck
>>
tomato suckers don't require anything special to grow....I just cut them and set them in water

they rooted like crazy
>>
Anyone here ever air layer an apple tree? My parents have an apple tree (I don't know what variety) that I really want a clone of at my house, and I've seen some tutorials, so I'm going to give it a go.
>>
File: IMG_20180518_072307_855.jpg (162 KB, 1080x1350)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>1291499
No, trelace netting keeps the plants from tipping over when the weight builds as it finishes flower. So it does do somthing.
>>
>>1291721
>>1291452
>>1291764
>weed and death gore

WTF is this shit doing in a homegrownmen thread?
>>
>>1291760
You are really better off to use a cutting and graft to another tree or root stock. Good luck with air layering. I find it can be a real bitch with some species, not sure about apples though.
>>
File: DSC_0074.jpg (3.65 MB, 1800x1198)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
Can not wait to go full scale in the fall!
>>
Does anyone with experience raising bantams (chickens) in a backyard have any tips or advice?
When last I kept chooks it was a flock of three fullsize hens (Australorp and 2 hybrids) and I plan on getting a couple of bantams and raising them pretty much the same way.
>>
File: DEA_logo.png (576 KB, 2000x2000)
576 KB
576 KB PNG
>>1291794
Still federally illegal in all of the USA, where 4chan servers are hosted. State laws don't matter where federal law is concerned. Discussing growing it is against the 1st rule,

https://www.4chan.org/rules
>1. You will not upload, post, discuss, request, or link to anything that violates local or United States law.
>>
>>1291796
It is pretty much the same thing, although, they can fly a great deal. Keep that in mind if you are using fencing without a top to keep them somewhere. I have a single bantam and it is constantly flying in and out of the orchard over a 6 feet high fence. It even had a nest one time with 16 eggs in it over the fence.
>>
File: IMG_6101.jpg (1.15 MB, 3264x2448)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
It seems i have a yellow sac spider hanging out on my jalepeno plant. They are venomous. Should i keep it there or remove it?
>>
>>1291912
I mean, how likely are you to get bit?

>Despite common beliefs of necrosis, Cheiracanthium bites cause only localized swelling.[3]

>>1291789
Me too. I'll be starting my seedlings in July to try and squeeze all I can out of fall and winter.

I get to start killing off what isn't dead and prep for solarization from here until the end of July. I get a few nightshade plants in pots to keep me company, but I don't really have a choice in the matter.
>>
>>1291800
some retard made a thread in /diy/ claiming to want to turn a large propane tank into a submarine to smuggle weed into the country

even after reporting, the mods won't remove it

4chan doesn't give a shit about illegal activities apart from CP
>>
>>1291971
must admit that doesnt sound that great of a plan
>>1291912
i would kill it, the possibility of being bitten when you collect the fruits is pretty high
catch it and release somewhere else if you dont want his life on you
>>1291789
you already posted your garden right? nice progress!
>>
>>1291789
Do you have a plan of your garden? Or a bigger view?
Why the curves in the garden beds?
>>
>>1291800
That refers to illegal media or illegal internet activities you fucknut. You can discuss how to grow, it's protected under free speech, you just can't link people to sites that sell it or try to sell it yourself.
>>
>>1291992
This, else crime stories would have to be banned too
>>
>>1291789
I was listening to something on the radio about evil micro plastics. They were talking about how they are also found in soil now because the sun breaks it down. Landscaping plastic like that isn't good to have around vegetable gardens or wells.
>>
>>1291912
It is no worse than a wasp or bee sting. I'm sure you'd be able to avoid getting bit. Just relocate it at most.

>>1291971
What about the guy hanging himself in >>1291721 Seems mods are on vacation.
>>
>>1291994
>>1291992
"How do I grow illegal crops" is the as "how to I make meth" and "how do I kill someone". All those get deleted normally. There was a huge amount of drug threads one day last year and all of them were removed. Now almost nothing gets deleted because of high level of bot spam everywhere. Keeping shit like this around completely changes the community. You'll go from normal gardeners posting to almost nothing but drug addicts posting in these threads.
>>
>>1292013
Yeah this.
Go to 420chan if you want to discuss growing weed, theres a botany board for this reason, plus the community is more knowledgeable in the topic.
>>
>>1292013
So you finally admit it after 2+ years, you're only spamming "muh rules" as pretext for not liking "muh dayjennuhraycee"
Luckily there's a whole board for you: >>>/pol/
Go there and stay there
t. Non-smoker who doesn't mind discussion about plants that are not much different in care from your precious chili peppers and can provide valuable information, while your meta polfaggotry derails the thread much more and provides nothing
>>
>>1292025
>>1292025

>meta polfaggotry derails the thread much more and provides nothing

Go back to /pol/ please, go there and stay there
>>
>>1292025
>>1292016
>>1292013
>>1292032
>>1292011
Funny thing, mods delete /pol/ posts faster than anything else now. They typically ignore drug posts because they are druggies themselves and want to secretly promote it. If it wasn't for the absolute degenerate culture surrounding this shit, it'd be okay, but it isn't okay.
>>
>>1291794
>>1291800
>>1291802
>>1291764
>>1291452
Get this shit off the board. Also, >>1291721 what is up with that gif? This is a blue board.
>>
I think pot should have its own board or be relegated to /b/ with the other drug discussions. As soon as the Overton window moves to allow for pot discussion that's all you'll get.
>>
>>1292042
It is bad enough that they took over all the google searches for legit hydro and grow lights. Anything I try to research what is better for veggies all I end up with are weed forums. I have to use a search string a mile long with a shit tone of exclusions for weed related terminology, just to get good search results.
>>
>>1292056
The lights used for veggies don't need to be anything like those used for your degeneracy. Which is why non-degenerates use stuff like cheap shoplights.
>>
File: old_news.jpg (346 KB, 1116x672)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
>>1291973
I think I've posted some progress pics in the previous threads
>>1291987
Well we have the front yard which is the picture I took. Its curved because enitially we had raised beds with the same curve to it. Then took the raised beds out and went above ground rows. Our second garden is on the side of a hill. Six 4x15 beds. We are going to remove the grass in between all the beds and expand the beds in the front to grow more leafy greens in the heat of the summer.
See photo, black is what the beds are now, yellow is what were going to expand.
>>1292004
we live in a place with an odd microclimate and we don't have a very long growing season so we decided to go this route this year to test how it is. So far its been pretty amazing.
>>
>>1292065

>shoplights

Why do you spend 100 hours researching shoplights and getting mad at cheaper alternatives being presented to you? Like just go down to Walmart or Ace Hardware and get your shop lights
>>
best oil etc to use on wood that is going to go next to plants or in a garden? boiled linseed oil? best I can get at a big box store
>>
>>1292101
Turns out that cheap shoplights are the end point of 10 hours of expensive grow light research. It is all about color temperature and lumens at the end of the day. If the shop light can do those two things for the type of veggies you are growing then you are good to go. That's basically 5k temp or higher starting out, but needs to be 6k-8k temp when the plants are older. The lumens just depend on the square area you want to light up vs the physical size of the light. Smaller lights need more lumens to spread around a larger area but larger light arrays can get away with lower.

>>1292105
Mineral oil is my go-to oil since it soaks up quickly and you can use the tool quickly. Drying oils like linseed or tung take days to properly cure and are better used at the end of the season when you put your tools away for the final time.
>>
>>1292106
interesting. So that would be ok for tomato stakes?
>>
If i start mammoth sunflowers from seed right now, Will they still have time to grow in zone 5?
>>
>>1292110
ehh you could try but I highly doubt it. Zone 5b and we start our sunflowers inside may 1st.
>>
>>1292111
Fuck!

I really didn't want to wait until next year...I just tilled a patch of my backyard to line with mammoths.

I'll give two or three a try then save the rest for next year.

Thanks
>>
>>1292109
"white oil" is used for spraying plants affected by some insects and that's just diluted mineral oil. I don't think residual mineral oil on your tomato stakes will make much of a problem. However, the source of the oil and its type will determine what other compounds might be in the oil. Keep in mind "baby oil" is also scented mineral oil, but will be different from white mineral oil which it more refined.

>>1292110
>>1292111
>>1292113
I started mine a few days ago. They are 3 inches tall now. If you start right now, it should be fine. I'm also in a zone 5 area. October 1-10th is the 1st frost date I think.
>>
>>1292113
like I said you could try.
Fertilize the hell out of them, we use compost and fish emulsion ever few weeks but.... you could try a stronger solution once per week.
>>
>>1292117
>>1292118
Thanks

I have liquid fertilizer I wasn't planning on using on them but I'll give it a shit to speed things up.
>>
>>1292117
damn, 5b here and you get at least a good week or two past us. Though that is why we are using plasticulture this year. Trying to extend the season pre and post frost

whoops replied to the wrong thread before
>>
>>1292120
>>1292113
In the states, it is mostly this,

https://gardentowerproject.com/2018/01/23/last-frost-date/

But, my area is colder than what is always stated for this area. There's some microclimate thing here. So, it is more like Zone 4 than the listed Zone 5. Just look up your first frost date and check the "days-to-maturity" for Mammoth sunflowers. Soak your seeds overnight to give them a quicker start. Most sunflowers take 3-4 months to grow to eating stage.
>>
>>1292082
>we live in a place with an odd microclimate and we don't have a very long growing season so we decided to go this route this year to test how it is. So far its been pretty amazing.
It's not something that will turn your lawn toxic instantly, just keep in mind to change it before it gets worn looking.
>>
>>1292125
>tfw constantly pulling little bits of plastic out of my soil because the people at the horse barns think the manure pile is a trash heap and the lawn mower snatches up hidden random wind blown trash from who knows where AND the company that processes the hay has 1000s of 2-inch long plastic baling twine pieces in the hay

I usually leave the garden with a pocket of plastic. All the organic matter I get is free, but it all has plastic in it. It is kind of shitty and there's literally no source anywhere that doesn't have plastic. When I gardened in the 1980s this sort of thing didn't happen ever.
>>
>>1292124
>https://gardentowerproject.com/2018/01/23/last-frost-date/
yea no way I'm late october, nor like late september here for first frost.
>>
>>1292125
oh we got stuff thin enough there is no way its going to last past a year. going to pull it out probably late september and get all the shit that is left if it comes apart.
>>
>>1292127
our local compost sucks balls and always has plastic and metal in it. Like nails n shit, I have no idea how that gets in there. Found a shotgun shell in some earlier this spring.
>>
>>1292117
oh I forgot I still have two packets of Eco wood left!
shit I totally forgot about that.
>>
File: SweetPotatoHarvestWeb.jpg (204 KB, 500x399)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
What is the cheapest, most efficent way to grow as many delicious sweet potatoes as possible on as little as possible space, bros?
>>
>>1292151
Buying a well managed sweet potato farm
>>
>>1292151
Buy store sweet potatoes, wait for slips to start growing, take slips and plant. They are vines so you can do all sorts of weight things with them and containers, walls, trellis, etc. to help conserve space.
>>
>>1292013
>weed
>addicts
Wanna know how I can tell you're an ignorant moralfag?
>>
File: 1521508028623.jpg (25 KB, 624x448)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1292243
>"i can quit whenever i want"
>"i just don't wanna quit"
>>
>>1292040
it's not real, obviously

source: https://youtu.be/NFQPBzl8aLk?t=97
>>
>>1292244
I literally got bored and quit

it's easier than quitting nicotine
>>
>>1292244
THC doesn't cause chemical dependency you ignorant dumbass. Some college kid using weed to cover their crippling anxiety isn't the same as an addiction.

Why don't you actually look up the science behind addiction before spouting off bullshit, grandpa?
>>
>>1292247
This is still a blue board. Hentai isn't real either and you still can't post it on a blue board.

>3. You will not post any of the following outside of /b/: Trolls, flames, racism, off-topic replies, uncalled for catchphrases, macro image replies, indecipherable text (example: "lol u tk him 2da bar|?"), anthropomorphic ("furry") or grotesque ("guro") images, post number GETs ("dubs"), or loli/shota pornography.

>grotesque ("guro") images,
>>
>>1292263
>>1292248
How will you console your parents when you die in jail?
>>
File: Autismus maximus.png (388 KB, 1514x3501)
388 KB
388 KB PNG
>>1292032
But you are the autistic Mormon/Amish/WBC or whatever straight edge sect member that gets his precious feefees hurt by a mere picture of a plant and announcing your triggeredness to the whole world (and I have to correct myself, not since 2, but THREE FUCKING YEARS) instead of using the report function (it's there for a reason) or ignoring it and move on, so you will fit right in there in your hugbox with your fellow crybabies
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1292263
As a guy who smoked weed from 18 to 35 nearly everyday surrounded by the same type of people everywhere, I can safely say you don't understand what you're talking about.

Physical dependancy, no.
Mental dependancy, absolutely.

Weed is not just something you decide to quit, like deciding not to wear a pair of old socks. It's a rough hard road and even if you don't wanna quit, going without it and trying to find some isnt fun in the slightest.

Go ahead and strawman me but as I'm speaking from the experience of myself and hundreds of people I interacted with during my time smoking and growing it, I'm telling you, you're wrong.
>>
>>1292283
>posts random posts from random anons legit thinking they are all the same person

4chan has been a really big place for a long time now, sweetie. Keep Homegrowmen clean of degeneracy by not posting rule breaking content. Because there's at least 5 people who will jump your shit for it and you know it.
>>
>>1292299
Don't lie, it's just you. Posting styles are quite unique
>>
>>1292283
That's quite a rant buddy boy. All I wanted was for you and all the other so called people and tone policers who are telling everyone to go to /pol/ to go back to /pol/ where they belong. Chill /out/
>>
>>1292308
I'd stay chill but I'm a bit pissed that whenever a picture with a certain plant only gets posted (never by me fyi, I don't do le 420), everything gets derailed because a certain someone goes on a "muh dyajennuhraycee" (i.e. archetypical /pol/-speak) tirade and derails the thread
As I said for example I personally don't care too much for chili pepper plants (have a couple too), but I never go around and complain even in the many times they make up 50% of the posts here - I usually just skip/ignore them, as I do with the weed ones
>>
>>1292314
I agree. I was surprised my post >>1291175 was deleted. I can't really avoid having my cannabis plants in photos of my garden. In the future I'll just ignore them in my post body I guess.
>>
>>1292314
You act like a /pol/ expert while simultaneously criticizing pol, very confused how that works. You are correct that weed doesn't belong here because it does derail threads AND is illegal. Why don't you create a dude weed growing thread instead of pushing your shit where it doesn't belong and isn't wanted?
>>
File: drip.jpg (345 KB, 1116x672)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
alright so I think I hit the wall with watering my plasticulture, its a pia to do it by hand.
So here was my thought, drip irrigation on all my beds. A few issues, I cant run water to the other side of the driveway, so being that, do I need seperate pressure regulators and filters for all the seperated runs or can I have one set and move that between, aka will it be a pia to do that.
>>
>>1292319
I guess in the future you must censor the offending parts of your pics with a "trigger warning" or something so our resident Mormon can sleep peacefully
>>1292324
I'm not pushing any shit, again, I don't smoke. But I don't get vocally butthurt about it being posted here occasionally (as long as it doesn't lead to the whole thread becoming ONLY that - a thing you fear thanks to the, again, typically /pol/-tier slippery slope argument - you sound like an early 1900s factory owner being afraid that reducing a 85 to an 80 hour work week will inevitably lead to communism), so neither should you
>>
>>1292324
Also
>isn't wanted
By you personally. This thread isn't your personal property though. Some may want it, let them have it ffs
>>
>>1292305
*doubt*
>>
>>1292329
>please let us break rules in peace

Time to check out, kid.
>>
>>1292325
You could everything up to one unit with a timer that only waters the stuff in individual sections to spread out the load on your pump and keep pressures proper.
>>
>>1292329
Is the slippery slope not real? Affirmative action was designed as a temporary measure for blacks. Now 50 years later it includes blacks, women, Mexicans, homos, muslims and trannies. In less time than that equal opportunity has morphed into equal outcome because you people never stop ruining things. If your drug worship is allowed here this too will be ruined
>>
>>1292343
I wish I could do that, but cant run across driveway and cant run across grass as we mow all the grass as well. Can't bury either because most of our property is on rock, straight rock less than 6 inches down. Was a pain in the ass making the beds when I was 25, not digging that shit up now almost hitting 40 lol
>>
>>1292275
I quit though
also I live in Canada so I plan on smoking & growing again when it become legal
>>
>>1292352
And, you have freezing temps in the winter right? Is there a slope? You could bury it shallow then drain for winter, if there's a slope.
>>
>>1292367
You still have the combative and potatoheaded mentality to do stupid shit. You can't quit that.
>>
>>1292274
so you're saying nobody posts violent video game related content on/v/? if you hate anything that is even slightly edgy then why are you even on this website?
>>
>>1292369
do you drink alchohol?
>>
>>1292373
I don't do drugs.
>>
>>1292341
There's like 100 heavily illegal copyright violations per second on this website (image posting), yet you don't care about that in the slightest. You're not about "muh rules", your about /pol/-constrained issues such as "dayjennuhraycee", nothing else.
This thread/board isn't for complaining about the current state of society/politics, that's what /pol/ is for

>>1292347
In some cases chains of events make it look like that, but not in others. With it being so random, we can't establish that slippery slope causes these chains of events. Let's take for example a more modern issue often cited - gay marriage. Slipperyslopists believe that it will eventually lead to child/animal fucking being normalised as well. But I'd bet my ass that in the oh so "good old times" like 100 years ago, child abuse was much more commonly accepted and practised, as well as fucking animals - it was just swept under the rug/not talked about. Plus, legal drug abuse (alcohol and cigarettes) is actually going down all over the Western world over the last few decades
>>
>>1292368
yes very freezing, -15f
Yea there is a slope on the hill, not so much on the front lawn
>>
>>1292377
You can test it by laying some hose in the pattern you want then draining it down the slope. Once it seems done draining, blow through it to see if more comes out. If more comes out then it won't work since it will freeze and burst in that spot.
>>
>>1292376
That's some top tier fallacy you have there. I could care less about anything outside this thread since this debate is in this thread.

>dayjennuhraycee

Back to /int/.
>>
>>1292378
I do have a metro vac. So do you seal up both ends in the winter? Trying to figure out how to completely clear out the emitters but have snow on it.
>>
>>1292381
If you manually pump/blow it out, that should work. As for the emitters, no clue without seeing them in person. I'd probably remove them and plug the holes if I could. Yes, to needing to close all openings.
>>
The only reason weed derails threads is because a couple posters won't stop saying it derails threads. Let them grow their plants you overgrown hall monitors.

Anybody know why my zucchini plants' flowers are dying every day? Did I plant them too late and they're suffering in the high heat? Are they just young and pinching their buds off for me while they grow their roots and branch out?
>>
File: 1523758321788.png (550 KB, 350x400)
550 KB
550 KB PNG
>>1290898
>>
>>1292379
Look, I'm German, and couldn't disagree more with our government's post-2015 immigration policy, I'd probably be labelled "far right" by our media. Yet I think /pol/ is a toxic, negative place (I only visit like twice a year if I'm extremely bored) which regards every and any change in society as somehow degenerating it and blaming any and everything on da joos (and no I don't love Jews because of some guilt trip introduction which I also disagree with almost a century after the war, and I think we shouldn't send them free submarines any more for example), while in reality the world is more nuanced, not all binary, black and white, as the 16 year olds there perceive it.
So, while I do view mass immigration of the PTSD-ridden inbred underclass of third world countries as an actual threat to degenerate our society, I don't have exactly the same feelings about some random plant that has been grown here for millennia, and only relatively recently been outlawed (not even 100 years ago here IIRC). Besides that, nearly all plants contain chemicals that in some way, shape or extent alter our psyche. Most importantly I'd even say sugar, which I view much more as a threat than any other legal or illegal drug, considering the worldwide worsening obesity epidemic and the fact that it's as addicting as heroine, messes up our moods, satiation feelings, causes diabetes and fatty liver more so than alcohol, yet our governments subsidise it left and right
>>
>>1292415
>introduction
*indoctrination
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480010537016.jpg (15 KB, 480x358)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1292415
>/pol/ is just as bad as anti-/pol/
Pic related.
>sugar, which I view much more as a threat than any other legal or illegal drug
You are absolutely right on this and I suspect the sugar industrial complex will go the way of the tobacco industry in the coming decades. To come back to topic, I haven't really grown any carb-heavy foods since I've adopted what is best described as a keto diet. I have never felt better. I am also in the process of converting my original plans of my future orchard to something based more around nuts, berries, and chickens instead of a "traditional" fruit-heavy plan. Health aside it is looking like it will be easier to manage too, not having to keep every tree to a harvestsble height and all.
>>
There are loads of fruit fly sized bugs on my Black eyed Susan’s (Rudbeckia sp.). Should I panic?
>>
>>1292424
Here’s a close up.
>>
>>1292424
I didn’t use an apostrophe on Susan, damn spellcheck.
>>
>>1292421
Eh, I'm not "moderate" in all topics, actually swinging from "left" to "right" depending on the very issue, only if everything averages out it becomes "overall moderate" I guess
But that aside yeah, just cutting down my Coca-Cola consumption from 2 litres/day (and yes, that was degenerate behaviour, I'd agree myself, wayyy too much sugar) to ~1L/week and otherwise just eating intuitively made me slowly, but eventually drop from 100 to 74kg (then gain back up to 85 after stopping cigarettes last year, now losing again at currently 80.5, aiming towards 75 again - I'm 1.90m), also made other foods I never liked before much more tasty, such as bell pepper, aubergine, olives, snails... like I discovered a whole new world
But now is strawberry and raspberry season, soon figs (until November) very hard to resist those shugahs... still I guess keeping it in moderation will be fine
>>
File: Edmund-Burke-portrait.jpg (22 KB, 460x276)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>1292403
>blame the people reporting
>don't blame the people posting rule breaking content

mfw this post
>>
>>1292415
Who the fuck cares about this word salad? Go spew that shit in someplace that cares.
>>
>>1292429
You can report posts without announcing (directly or indirectly) that you did so, in fact, you're supposed to do it that way
>>
>>1292424
>Should I panic?

Completely. Get out the hose and spray their asses off your plants.
>>
>>1292430
Who the fuck cares about your complaints? Go spew that shit in someplace that cares.
>>
>>1292431
I don't see anyone announcing they reported anything in this thread. There's lots of people posting the rules and arguing.

FYI, even announcing saging is against the rules now.
>>
>>1292434
>There's lots of people posting the rules and arguing
a.k.a. indirect reporting
>>
simmer down ladies, stop arguing over fucking cannabis or what the rules are to a Taiwanese basket weaving forum.

Go top your tomato plant or do some yard work and shut the fuck up
>>
>>1292457
you can't tell me what to do!
you're not my real dad!
>>
>>1292458
YOU DON'T HAVE A REAL DAD
>>
>>1292324
Shut up you fucking faggot
>>
>>1292457
>top
at what height should i do that? 170 cm is ok or should i let it get to 2m? how does the production change from how i top it?
>>
>>1292685
>at what height should i do that?
how high is your tallest ladder?
>>
>>1292689
oh
>>
>>1292685
Don't do that to determinate tomato varieties or you will fuck over your entire plant.
>>
>>1292726
only have indeterminate ones, thx
what even are the determinate ones? found zero up to now, beside a couple "dwarf" plants
>>
>>1292727
https://bonnieplants.com/product-category/vegetables/tomatoes/determinate-tomatoes/
>>
>>1292729
wew literally seen zero of those plants
>>
I'm a complete fucking novice at gardening and farming so I decided to start with sunflowers. I know that it's a bit on the later end of the planting period, but if I drop the seems underneath an inch or two of compost, will they take care of themselves or do I need to be a helicopter parent?
>>
>>1292781
No, not compost. They need a better balanced soil. 1 part clay, 1 part sand, and 1 part compost will work. Straight compost will more than likely rot them. At least that's been my experience in the past. Once you have a good soil to start them in, there's not much work other than watering. Just make sure not to plant them too closely. The only pest mine ever had were tree hoppers.
>>
Is this the place to ask about silkworm husbandry? I’ve been trying to think of things that will help pay property taxes.
>>
>>1292781
I only have slightly more experience than you and have had great success germinating seeds with the baggy method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dirz0WIMQi0
then planting the sprouts. an inch or two is way too much, half an inch is enough with the seedling poking out to catch some indirect sunlight
>>
File: IMG_7850.jpg (2.41 MB, 4032x3024)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
I can not get over how beautiful this clover living mulch is. Its like a pure green carpet
>>
>>1292791
Yes. Mulberry trees are super easy to cultivate, fyi. You can take cuttings and root them fairly easy too. You can trim them every year and keep them bush-like.
>>
>>1292798
It does look good.
>>
>>1292831
its awesome, looks so much better in person. I just hope my mini sunflowers grow quick, looks like they could get taken over
>>
>>1292836
Just keep a funnel shape around them by weeding/trimming a little at the ground cover. I use greens and was able to trim and eat until the main plants grew up above them.
>>
>>1292836
Weed a little bit around them. its not like the clover wont grow back.
>>
>>1292841
>>1292840
thank you, will do
do you use scissors or just pull them out?
>>
>>1292846
Scissors are fine.
>>
>>1292829
I was thinking of about a dozen mullberry trees as a windbreak, is this too few to sustain a profit in silk and jam? Should I incorporate them into a more traditional orchard?
>>
>>1292870
Jam will depend on your weather in the spring. If you don't have late frosts, you'll have good fruit. Otherwise, no fruit, ever. As for the silkworms, that will depend on you and how good of a business person you are. It will be a good start. Google, "Sericulture."

https://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/raising-silkworms-zmaz79mjzraw
>>
I can't get grass to grow under a very large tree I have on my property. I have a nice lawn and this absence of grass under the tree make sit look half assed and shitty.

What can I do to get something to grow there, preferably year after year without being replanted. I live in zone 5
>>
>>1292903
What kind of tree is it?
>>
>>1292907
I'm not 100% sure an I'm not home right now to take a pic, I THINK it's a maple.

I live in Michigan if that helps
>>
>>1292903
How much shade does it throw? Also this: >>1292907
Because if it's something like a walnut, the roots will send out juglone that suppresses growth of pretty much any other stuff
>>
>>1292874
Thank you
>>
>>1292911
Not a walnut.

A lot of shade, it's a very large tree. It covers about 100ft in all directions in shade
>>
>>1292874
Do you know any place (preferably in Europe) that sells you *real* M. nigra, and NOT mislabelled alba or alba x rubra? Because the latter two taste like shit tbqh (like blackberries with 1/10 of the flavour). Apparently nigra is difficult to propagate by either cuttings or seed and also a bit difficult to tell from the others without DNA test, so most sellers swindle you on them
>>1292915
Then that is most likely the issue, only few grasses go with less than full sun. Maybe put a stone circle or something around the affected area and fill with mulch/pebbles or whatever for better optics
>>
>>1292910
>>1292911
As long as it isn't a pine that smothers the ground with its own mulch, you should be able to grass the area, but you'll need a shade tolerant grass. There's a few suppliers.

>>1292926
I have no clue, I'm in the USA, sorry. However, you can use any mulberry tree type for silkworms. They just prefer white mulberry, it isn't strictly necessary. I have black mulberry and it does well enough from cuttings.
>>
>>1292933
>silkworms
Eh I'm a different anon, not into that type of business personally, I'd just care for the berries
>>
>>1292936
Then black mulberry is the best.
>>
>>1292944
Yeah, just impossible to get here it seems. I'd ask and pay you to send cuttings/seeds if you were in EU, but from overseas it's too much of a hassle (especially legal pest control issues when shipping organisms)
>>
Any reason why peppers wouldn't be producing any flowers? Most of my peppers are doing fine, but my fatalii and Brazilian starfish peppers are healthy but without any sign of buds. It appears they are C. chinense and C. baccatum, respectively. Do those species tend to flower late?
>>
>>1292960
Stress them. Withhold water until the droop. Keep them in the pitch dark for 3 whole days then put them in the sun, that type of stuff.
>>
>>1292969
Thanks, I'll try that.
>>
>>1292926
>and also a bit difficult to tell from the others without DNA test
or maybe growth speed? I think I have alba because it grows like a weed and refuses to die, probably why alba has taken over rubra here in the US
don't know if this is useful: https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr_237.pdf
>>
>>1292283
*snip*
Yep. This one's going in my verticcilium compilation.
>>
I have a lot of extra early spring seeds, since my garden is small, is there any special trick to store them for next season? Their packaging says they will expire before then
>>
>>1292960
>>1292969
No need to. C.Baccatum and C.Chinense tend to flower/fruit somewhat late.
Where are you located, Anon?
>>
>>1292263
Seen too many people who weren't dependent needing to smoke 3-4 times a day erryday bro
>>
>>1292903
>>
>>1292990
jesus cocksucking christ, fuck off already
>>
>>1292992
Zone 5/6
>>
>>1292996
Has it ever occurred to you that YOU might be the autist?
>>
File: Into the Hive.jpg (307 KB, 1734x742)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
>>1292997
I'm in 6 as well. Just be patient.
Pic related was around late july last year.
>>
File: IMG_20180613_161953.jpg (3.6 MB, 4640x2610)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
First time growing tomatoes, is something like this ok to prevent them from snapping off the vine?
>>
>>1292998
huh? I'm not even the guy(s) you've been fencing with, the only posts I made were about tomatoes and mulberries
I'm just sick of mouthbreathers like you who simply can't avoid injecting their faggotry into everything and shitting up perfectly good generals for 99% us
christ on a dildo, the ONE fucking general I had hoped was immune to mongs and here you are in all your shiteating glory. oh well
>>
>>1292991
I think the major issue is keeping them away from moisture and light. What kind of seeds? In general, viability is cut down by 50% every successive year of storage
>>
>>1293005
Thats unnecessary, weakens the plant and makes it more likely the vine will snap
>>
>>1292991
>>1293024
Put them in a cold dry place. The colder the better. You can keep seeds in a freezer, in partial vacuum for decades and they will still be viable. They still need a wee tiny amount of oxygen since they still "breath" so to speak, but you normally don't need to worry about that.

>>1293005
Yes, truss supports are something use for commercial tomato farms. There are two kinds, the hanging ones which do what you are doing and the bridge ones that just clip on an look like a caterpillar. You normally only need them near the base of the truss for the first few inches until the first fruit. The rest of the truss normally does well enough just hanging down. The base of the truss has a snap off point which is why they need support sometimes.
>>
File: purplealmostfinished.jpg (146 KB, 1296x2304)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
I still recommend that 100W 12$ LED COB Combo.
>>
>>1292991
coldish temperatures and !!Low Humidity!! are crucial for hempseeds at least.
>>
>>1293047
Oh no, you mentioned the trigger plant, brace yourself for some boomer lecture
>>
>>1293044
>You can keep seeds in a freezer
well shit. I'm still kinda scared though so I'll split my seeds and keep half in fridge/half in freezer
>>
>>1293068
You only need it for next year right? Just put it in an envelope and into a tin and into a drawer next to your socks until next year.
>>
File: crossyourself.jpg (23 KB, 600x398)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1293050
The devils lettuce
>>
>>1293068
dont freeze them. Im quite certain that will kill a lot of seeds if not done perfectly (aka. no humidity)
>>
>>1293074
Yeah, you do need to make sure they are properly dry first.
>>
>>1293050
>get triggered
>make a rage post about others being triggered

Go back to redddit stonerfag
>>
How long should I wait before thinning out plants? I planted five things this weekend but a two year old was helping me so I'm only 100% of what one set of seedlings are.
>>
>>1293159
I usually wait until about 4 true leaves before thinning them. That way they've mostly grown out of the dampening off stage.
>>
>>1293167
Cool, thanks for the advice. 3/5 of my seeds have sprouted so far but they look pretty crowded.
>>
File: Sequoiadendrongiganteum.jpg (781 KB, 1564x1564)
781 KB
781 KB JPG
One month so far, it's gonna be a few years before they get yuge
>>
>>1293070
fucking kek
>>
>>1293199
This will be worse than my 20 year old apple tree I grew from seed that is only 6 feet high and has never fruited once. More power to you.
>>
>>1293046
if it ain't CREE it ain't for me
but seriously, I'm probably going to need something this year come winter
>>
>>1293206
not him but how come. because of the lights?
>>
>>1293210
Read the file name, "Sequoiadendron Giganteum."
>>
>>1293215
Oh. Right
Maybe a 'grow well little sequoia' macro image will help
>>
>>1293219
>>1293199
>"Hurry up and get big, Sequoia-chan!"
>>
File: IMAG1816.jpg (1.12 MB, 1836x3264)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Should I be concerned? The plant looks fine, there's other flowers and one more pepper that looks fine as well. Just thin one looks like it's going to fall off.
>>
>>1293238
>Should I be concerned?

No, but yellowing of the flower stem usually means it will drop. There will be more to take its place. It probably had physical damage from the tie.
>>
File: Windowsillweed.jpg (153 KB, 640x480)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>1293347
Yeah theres a lot of cancer in here that's better suited for the toxic wastelands of /pol/.
>Lurk moar
>>
>>1293347
>DA JOOS
Easy there with the temper Ahmed, go explode somewhere else
>>
>>1291313
>>
>>1291313
YEAH KILLEM
>>
>>1293347
Fail
>>
This has been the worst Homegrowmen thread ever. Thanks to degenerates.
>>
>>1293406
true, but antidegenerates were equally cancerous
>>
>>1293402
That's a myth. They eat no more than someone's dog that goes out and has to groom itself of ticks, even then it isn't very good because they can still be loaded with ticks. They don't specifically seek out ticks.
>>
>>1293402
They eat my eggs and get in my chicken coop. They get the lead.
>>
>>1293428
Why don't you do it yourself since you take pleasure at ruining things. In between posting you can rip out flower beds at your local hospital and cut down trees at the park.
>>
>>1293428
>being this immature and childish

>>>/b/
>>
File: nettle.jpg (312 KB, 2048x1536)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>1293433
>a picture with a plant takes away my enjoyment
Tell us where it hurt you.
This one causing you PTSD too?
>>
>>1292004
>evil micro plastics
I wonder if the same is true of PVC pipes. This shit is fairly ubiquitous in the DIY gardening community and I'm fairly certain naked PVC pipes are horribly vulnerable to UV degradation. Hell I'm even concerned about the plastic containers I may eventually use for hydro.

>>1293433
This singular post >>1293396 is more on-topic in homegrowmen than all of your childish ramblings combined.
But please, continue ruining the thread with off-topic posts by throwing a tantrum about being triggered and needing a safe space like the sensitive little seedling that you are.
>>
>>1293453
Yes, PVC is quite bad for leaching its component chemicals into water. If you bleach the lines 10 different times and flush it well, the process will leach out "most" of the worst of the worst in large quantities. After that, normal use will have lower levels of leached chemicals. This is true of most everything that leaches stuff into water even stainless steel (use tomato sauce bath for the initial 10 leachings to get most of the surface leaching chromium off.)

It is one of the only reasons I'm not doing hydroponics of any kind. Until I can get some 5-gallon, holeless, clay pots I won't even do Kratky method.

Also, stop being baited.
>>
How fast do tomatoes go from flower to ripe fruit?
>>
>>1293453
Lay off the weed it is making you paranoid and hateful
>>
>>1293457
It depends on the cultivar, nutrients, and environmental/weather conditions. It can be as little as 40 days to as long as 60 days. Also, some people cut off all flowers near the end of the season since "we can't get ripe tomatoes because the first frost will kill them before that and I want all energy to go to the ones that are ripening now." I personally don't do that. Instead I let things flower and fruit right up to the 1st first warning/watch alert. Then I harvest everything ripe and green. I slice & dehydrate the green ones and use them through winter in soups and stews.
>>
>>1293450
Trolling outside of >>>/b/ is against the rules, fyi.
>>
>>1293467
/pol/faggotry outside /pol/ is against the rules, fyi
>>
the top of my tomato plant is all floppy, like the last 2-3 new small branches, i watered it but it stays spineless
the rest of the plant is ok, it's about 170cm tall, should i top it or let it be and see?
>>
>>1293466
Thanks i have 4 known cultivars.

Giant green tomato
Cherokee purple
Japanese black triefele
Orange rousollini

They are in 7 gallon fabric containers. Custom mix of peat moss, chicken manure, planting soil, perlite and vermiculite.

fertilize once a week alternating between happy from tomato fertilizer and a mix of seaweed extract and tiger bloom.

I water everyday when weather is above 78F maybe twice when weather is above 90F. Below 78F i check for soil for moistness.
>>
>>1293456
sadly it's everywhere, even some fabric grow bags have been shown to leach BPA because they were made of recycled plastic.
I'll probably chance it with food grade HDPE buckets for some kratky, though I'll try to UV shield it as much as I can. can't be worse than the chemicals in store bought crops I already consume
>>
>>1293475
You shouldn't have to water everyday if it's in a 7 gallon container. How much water do you give them each time?
>>
>>1293474
What type of tomato. Some are vines and some are bushy. Yours might be looking for something to grow onto.
>>
>>1293489
cherry tomatoes, they have stick support
it's the only plant out of 6 doing this, that's why im perplexed
>>
>>1293474
If it is in direct sunlight and it is hot outside then that will be normal.

>top it

Why?

>>1293490
Perhaps it has some root damage?
>>
>>1293475
Seems like a good system.

>>1293487
Anon is using fabric containers so they'd dry up much faster.
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65 KB, 526x350)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
NEW THREAD: >>1293508
>>
>>1293402
>>1293416
Chickens will destroy ticks.
>>
>>1293487
>>1293507

Pretty much this. Kind of a pain to water them everyday but the plants look healthy although imwould have expected them to have lots of tomatoes actively growing.

On a side notes birds are fucking over my nectarines and im wondering if they willfuck over my tomatoes?
>>
>>1293206
Thanks, I know seeds are less reliable than cloning, but cloning hardwoods is generally pretty difficult (I tried). Not expecting these to grow too fast, but once the roots are more developed I'm gonna transplant it into a pot and eventually the ground

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.