[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 20180608_203813.jpg (1.12 MB, 1449x1322)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Is it a backpack? Is it a coat? Is it a tent?
No its a shelter suit!

I'm building a suit I can live in, a camp on my back. Like a one man band. Portable, self contained survival gear you don't need to take off to use.

Its an idea being built for the homeless. Most examples are non functioning fashion bits. The best example of what I'm thinking is picrelated and its grom star wars of all places. Which is ironic because spacesuits built for earth was the original inspiration.

What features would you want or suggest /out/? Thoughts, opinions.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (9 KB, 259x194)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
An example of a suit that zips into a bivy.
>>
File: TentJacket.jpg (277 KB, 1200x787)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
A long coat that folds out into a tent when you sit down.
>>
File: 1402018484714.jpg (63 KB, 620x349)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Being homeless is so hot right now.
>>
File: 3200584_orig.jpg (569 KB, 2524x712)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
>>1291819
>>
If this stuff is okay then why can't I just wear a repro Confederate uniform at all times, when /out/?
>>
>>1291819
Is this from one of those Star Wars Visual Dictionaries? Those were the SHIT
>>
>>1291843
100 internets have been added to your account.
>>
>>1291855
>100 internets have been added to your account.

Reddit get out.
>>
>>1291819
Do you want to get the creeping crud? Because that's how you get the creeping crud.
>>
Well I've collected a frame back pack, couple of stroller hoops, extra alluminum tubing, webbing, clips, water proof and wind stopping cloth. I have a heavy duty sewing machine, gromets, rivets, glues and tapes. I'm at the planning stage. Going to build it like a house. Wiring, insulation, air ducting and even some plumbing if bladderbags with straws count.
Solar panels on the back with a battery pack to charge doodads, run lights and fan for the ducts.
>>
>>1291881
Pull some inspector gadget shit where you squat down and it springs out the top of your pack, flies open and closes down over your entire body.
>>
File: Sheltersuit400x400.jpg (39 KB, 400x400)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>1291885
I was looking over some articulated wing cosplay and thinking very similar thoughts. Dont forget the scratchin pocket. I like to think thats whats happening in the pic at least.
>>
File: 1524935746619.gif (1.95 MB, 237x240)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB GIF
>>1291855
>100 internets have been added to your account.
You need to go back.
>>
File: older meme.jpg (23 KB, 450x338)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1291862
>>1292093
Winning the internet originated on SA, but was mostly used here on 4chan, back in the day.
>>
>>1292103
Evey time I see that kind of elitism I remember the poster was probably 6 or 7 years old when I first found the chans.
>>
>>1292134
Where did all the time go
>>
>>1291819
Why are these gimmicky clothes a thing now? I remember seeing a kickstarter for one even with a rescue hook lol. you could also go and inflate the back for a sleeping pad or flotation device.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1481504433942.jpg (40 KB, 552x510)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Donovian rainmen are the gopniks of the galaxy.
>>
>>1291819
That's already been done. Actually, that's been done centuries ago. I don't know the proper english term, but basically, medieval age wool coats are exactly what you're describing. 20th century military ponchos and tarps are similiar as well, as though they do not protect against cold, they stil serve as tents, raincoats and bags.
Also, they're dirt cheap like all surplus, which is why they're still popular with the homeless.

But I guess simply doing something that has been working fine for centuries won't get you as much internet fame as chimping out on "modern" gear.
>>
File: sad-old-man.jpg (625 KB, 2060x2312)
625 KB
625 KB JPG
>>1292134
>tfw finding 4chan 14 years ago and now I'm in my early 50s
>>
Where can I get a poncho liner and poncho that actually line up properly?
I bought a woobie and then two different ponchos and neither of them fit together right. The cheese was too big for the bun.
>>
latex catsuit will do the same job
>>
>>1291819
Body Bag is what you need.
>>
Despacito
>>
>>1291819
>Its an idea being built for the homeless.
Right, so you are targeting the homeless market... Because they have lots of money to expend in gadgets.
>>
>>1291819
It must be nice living where wind doesn't exist to ruin this cunning plan.
>>
>>1292718
I don't need to post now
>>
>>1292718
you laugh but he might be on to something
the homeless don't have money but there are liberal funded NGO that spend money on stuff for the homeless
the right org might buy a batch of 5000 to hand out
>>
>>1292718
You read half of what is written and understand less. Stop that, your wasting time.
>>
>>1292718
>make up some shit idea nobody needs
>claims it's for a noble cause, e.g. helping the homeless
>find rich sponsors that want to polish up their image
>collect millions
>outsource production to east asia
>...
>profit
That's basically how it works.
>>
Marketing towards homeless won't work out, they don't tend to have the money on hand to buy something as expensive as this is likely to be.
>>
This is so fucking cool!!!!
>>
File: slut-yellow-fanny.jpg (101 KB, 1050x701)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>1292765
>homeless sell camper suits for crack money and go back to cardboard boxes for free
>camper suits wind up as retarded fashion trend for poor blacks in Chicago and California for a very painful year
>remainder of suits destroyed or worn as random shame item by suburban fathers, rest find their way to China and Africa
>China makes their own version and makes one mirrion dorrars on your idea, fishermen in South China Sea all wear them now
>hipsters think they look ironic or something because poor fishermen wear them, buy them by the thousands
>US production restarts after 7 years
Terrible ideas never really die do they.
>>
>>1291819
break it and you just fucked up your backpack, coat and tent. well done faggot. while I'm not etirely against multitools and integrated solutions, all in one more often is a shitty way to waste your money. one purpose gear, when it's doing it job well, is prefered.
>>
File: 1-619.jpg (44 KB, 900x900)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Hey. OP here.
I can understand not liking this from a business POV. Im not marketing this. I have already shown my disappointment in the real world examples. They are art projects for liberal arts credit.

Im making something for personal use based on some of the core ideas so far presented. Its an excuse to post some pics, entertain anons and throw shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Funny thing about the homeless however. They are an untappable demographic with allmost 100% disposable income. The biz world knows this even if you dont. Its just a matter of getting between them and the liquor store on tbe 1st abd 15th. Still not my bag.

If I was going to tap the homeless I would armor plate a trailer of vending machines I could leave by camps. They do have change.

I used to use a oversized snow suit for camping before picretated hit the market big time. My camp mates thought it was weird till it was bump on the night/early morning piss time. A walking sleeping bag rocks! I want more.
>>
>>1292800
I like your suit but I like the big hoods on OPs pic
put those together and it would be sweet
also instead of stuffed footies it should have gortex socks sewn on so your boots can go over the feet of the outfit

final step
add 3d camo making it into a mobile duck/turkey/deer blind
>>
File: cbrn-sleepingbag.jpg (421 KB, 1695x2142)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
>>1292800
>>
File: slbe1.jpg (96 KB, 640x512)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>1292815
Thats the plan. Mixed with a custom rig based on military style LBE system under the coat and inside the shell. The idea is access to all gear without removing anything or even setting it down. This is assisted with the core bulky items are incorporated into the outer garment (tent, tarp and bag). I spent a few years maintaining radio towers. I understand the importance of carrying what you need on you and not losing it.
Its also inspired from childhood as well. Tucking arms and legs into a giant sweater, poping my head into my own private cocoon. Speaking of cocoon, with the right kind of straps built in it could hang from a tree caterpillar style.
>>
>>1291819
ULTIMATE LARP

i want one of these so i can pretend to be Quasimodo at my next Fantasy bullshit waste of time meet!
>>
>>1292800
>100% disposable income
aka charity money

It's... an idea if you're making one for yourself but what advantage does this thing have over a good poncho, hat, and frame? I'm serious about the wind being a problem. If you're walking into a 25mph gust with rain it's going to get you soaked and make walking twice as hard. Aerodynamic and sealed is always better than a partial umbrella.
>>
>>1292845
>wind
Big hoody. Big zipper. Big enough an held up enough for even a clear windscreen. Shit! I might throw on a wiper for lulz. Already planning on headlights, sat-nav and ac.
>>
I'm homeless. you're better off making simple non shit backpacks with lots of storage... though tick/bedbug killing fabric would be nice
>>
>>1292849
Or maybe a second hood layer that can pull down. Have it zip to the belt leaving access on the sides to covered and open chest area. Been looking through picrelated as inspiration as well.
>>
>>1292865
>hermetically sealed baby coffin on wheels
Good inspiration, anon!
>>
>>1291836
This is, without a doubt, one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. I think the "crotch pot" barely edges this out though.
>>
File: 5218_640.jpg (377 KB, 1440x2491)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>>1292862
Get a job.

>>1292885
One of many places I'm willing to draw ideas from.
>>
File: nubrella.jpg (10 KB, 234x235)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1292885
How about a man sized head bubble then?
>>
>>1292825
What bag is that?
>>
>>1291819
isis makes camping equipement now?
>>
>>1291842
Wait...do you not? Ain't nothing better than being /out/ in Appalachia dressed in your greys.
>>
>>1294178
Not even American, I just watched Westworld and think those confederados are badass.
>>
>>1292977
i'm going to mars my homie.
>>
>>1292977
>>
>>1294182
Yeah, it's a great looking style. Shame the supremacy assholes and the reactive left give it a bad rep, without either understanding it.
>>
>>1292186
this
>>
File: spherical-spacesuit.jpg (29 KB, 468x366)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1292186

>>1294255

Post pics? At least a better search term than "old english coat". Tarps are great and all but a poncho is a bit different than a wearable duck blind/bivy cloak.This is a personal project using examples for inspiration. Save your salt for the bleeding hearts.
>>
"Artists create, geniuses steal" - Edison
Since this is not going to be a product all ideas are on the table to Frankenstein together. I like this for the hood design. Im thinking about a harder shell right above the shoulders with the extendable hood in front. The back a large open bag, adjustable with sinch straps. The outer frame hangs from the worn inner frame from pivots at about hip level. Clips inside up high connects both frames when walking and unclips letting you lean back into the pack when resting. The inside of the shell pack strapped with webbing, gear and pockets letting you reach like a walk in closet. Anything else gets a stuff sack on a lanyard. This way gear can be pulled out from inside or relocated to make room in bivy/tent mode to lay back in your own pack.
>>
>>1291819
I sleep in a big bed with my wife.
>>
File: MERCHANT_cONCEPT.jpg (19 KB, 185x427)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1294310
Take ideas where you can. Right? This guy inspired me to turn a fishing vest inside out and stitch it into a heavy coat. Not original but quite functional. Depending on how you open the coat, you got nothing or everything.
>>
How has JakPak not made it into this thread?
>>
>>1291836
This is great in a survival situation if you want to sacrifice yourself to make a tent for your fellow drones
>>
>>1291819
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botZOEBoLDQ
>>
>>1291836
Thanks
made me kek a lot

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.