[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: fuck-ticks.jpg (55 KB, 406x310)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Eastcoast friends, how do we enact the tick holocaust?
Do they even have a point on this earth, like bees?

Spent a night in the Pin Barrens. Covered my ass in multi-insect spray (which includes ticks), and one spray which was tick specific. Had high socks on and only walked through brush once. Waking up in the morning, I could see the fuckers crawling on the outside of my tent like a fucking horror movie.
Had half a dozen or more on me, buddy had like fiffuckingteen.

What do we do as a country to end this? It gets worse every year.
Why do we need ticks? How do we destroy them?
What do you use in defense of tickAIDS?
>>
>>1293245
Bring back DDT
>>
>>1293245
Stop killing opossums
>>
>>1293245
I fucking hate those little blood suckers. I mowed the lawn today, used spray and ended up pulling four off of me that were attached. Damn it.

I have no clue what to do but they are a menace! I can't walk in my own yard without finding two or three on me.

DEATH TO TICKS! and mosquitoes!

also east
>>
>>1293257
>mosquitoes
They only itch, I'll live. West Nile doesn't give me paranoia like lymes does
>>
Treat clothes and gear with permethrin, couple sprits of 100% deet on arms and back of neck. Didn't get a tick bite during a full month of camping and trudging through brush.
>>
The complete removal of ticks wouldn’t even drastically affect any food chains, yet our government fucks around in the Middle East instead of doing something about this epidemic
>>
>>1293245
You pay your blood tax to the mosquitos and the ticks. There not that bad, just check yourself at night.
>>
>>1293251
THIS
H
I
S
>>
>>1293251
>>1293291
I've said it once and I'll say it again, possums are truly /our marsupial/
>>
>>1293288
Maybe tick oil?
>>
>>1293264

I'm allergic to them more than most people. A tick bite will swell to the size of a quarter and get very weepy, nasty. Mosquitoes do the same but more like the size of a dime. The affect me like a spider bite. It takes months to heal and leaves a big scar. and that is with using antibiotic, antihistamine creams and oral antihistamines.

Kill 'em all!
>>
>>1293452
[same guy]

i also use a variety of tick and mosquito sprays.
>>
>>1293288
>implying you can completely remove ticks
>>
Tick here,

Its okay. Just dont worry about it. Be cool, man.
>>
Ticks paralyzed my dog this week, we gave her a ton of meds and she's walking again but yeah fuck them completely
>>
Ticks are why I moved to the west coast and am never going back east
>>
yeah it doesn't really pay to go in the woods without a flame thrower.
>>
>>1293739
This is the answer, the northeast is the pit of hell, abort.
>>
>>1293806
They have them out here too.
>>
>>1293245
When I was 6 years old I was a feral child inawoods. Woke up one night to mom picking at my naked body. Saw her pulling ticks. She counted 51. Surprised I ain’t get lymes. Love Virginia but man I hate them fuckers.
>>
>>1293251
Possums are cool as fuck and waay faster than one would expect in an apartment

>>1293264
Can confirm, GF got rekt by ld to the point that it changed her lifestyle. Still got the fire but she feels like she's walking through mud all the time
>>
>>1293465
Pretty sure that happened to my dog a few years back. It was like he had a fucking stroke and I'm amazed he didn't die. Couldn't walk, kept contorting his body, seemed to be blind and i had to hold him up so he could shit. He's square now but I still have no idea wtf that was about
>>
>>1293833
shit old dominion represent
>>
>>1293857
Depends on the breed. We had two GSPs, from different breeders, who would just throw rods sometimes.
>>
>>1293856
That’s terrifying. That kind of thing makes me honestly afraid to go out and I’m not sure if I’m just overreacting or if fear of getting Lyme is legitimate
>>
>>1294041
Just take adequate precautions. Wear permethrin treated pants and long sleeve shirts, tuck your socks into your pants, check yourself regularly while on the trail, etc. You may look like a dork but you won't get any tick bites.
>>
>>1293264
Don't forget Rocky mountain spotted fever
>>
>>1294062
There's also the disease that forces you to become vegetarian
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-gal_allergy
>>
>>1294371
Well, at least you still get to eat cheese and eggs, right?
>>
Why do people worry about lyme disease? The paralysis of Australia, mammal meat allergy of the US and TBE of Europe/Asia is way worse and lacks ANY treatment.

>tfw just starting to get vaccinated against TBE
>>
>>1293251
I'd breed opossums if I could
>>1293452
I got bit by a tick on my ass. It's been itchy for 2 months. Not exaggerating. Never thought it could be some allergy
>>
>>1293245

in my experience people associate any random bug with ticks.. they may not even have been
>>
>>1293245
They are seriously the worst. I got it a little while ago and just finished my antibiotic course, but I still constantly feel half-asleep and can't shake the feeling that keeping my balance is taking more effort than it should. I'm told I may be in for months and even years of this shit. Ticks and feral hogs both need to be fucking exterminated, and nothing of value would be lost.
>>
>walking on road in my Georgia mountain homeland, enjoying the heat and humidity
>keep away from grass on side of road cause tickniggers are out and about
>still get a tick crawling up my overalls and have to flick it off
Ticks are just as bad as some yankee transplants round here.
>>
I would gladly voulenter to help exterminate ticks for free on my /out/ ings. They are terrible in the Midwest this year too. Conservation was warning of the high numbers during the winter. I wonder if ticks were this bad back in the day?
>>
File: image.jpg (2.27 MB, 4032x3024)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB JPG
>>1293245
Tennessee here. I’ll gladly help in this Shoah.
>Daily reminder to get tested. I just did.
>>
>>1295764
how early did you start your course?
>>
File: 1526160654439.jpg (90 KB, 612x380)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1293245
My 2017 thru hiking buddy just found out he has lymes I think hes ligamently fucked. We need tick genocide I say we just start shooting
>>
>>1293245
You see if you want to remove tick, you must first remove deer. Deer are the welfare of the tick world.
>>
>>1293245
OP, where were you in the Pine Barrens? The other month I had to cut my thru-hike of the Batona short because I had dozens of the fuckers on me. Luckily, I just got blood work done and no Lyme. For the Pine Barrens, just go in September/October.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.