[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

A general discussion thread for your batonning device.

Discuss all kinds of knife-related stuff like sharpening and buying guides for newcomers etcetera.

Prev. thread: >>1279084
>>
Is a piece of concrete good for sharpening?
>>
>>1296652
a piece of concrete is good for sharpening large sticks and teeth but not blades anon
>>
can anyone recommend a good knife? I got one from my local camping store but it's basically a fishing kife and not very good.

I mainly use my knife feathering, making kindling and sharpening sticks, I'd also prefer it to be balanced so I can throw it, and maybe have a serrated edge somewhere on the back for sawing through stuff.
>>
File: 20180321_172117.jpg (4.13 MB, 4128x2322)
4.13 MB
4.13 MB JPG
>>1296687
>throw
Easy there, cowboy

>serrated
Why?
Unless you need serrations for some specific purpose, don't. As a general-purpose camping knife, some form of puukko is your best bet. Or, if you want a bigger knife, leuku.

If you are dead-set on a hard-use full tang survival knife, stick to these parameters:
3 to 4'' blade
1/8", or 3/32" thick
Comfortable handle with no guard, choils, or other pseudo-ergonomic features.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1524734232081.jpg (119 KB, 720x960)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>1296656
https://youtu.be/CXLaE1JvQ94
>>
File: hannahferg.jpg (465 KB, 1920x1280)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
Hey Australians, whats the deal with knifes in your country? Can I bring a 3in folding knife through customs in Queensland or will I be thrown in upside-down jail?
>>
>>1296861
neither, they'll take it and never give it back. also if they're in the mood for ruining everything they could deny you entry altogether, possibly permanently if they're really feeling like dicks.
>>
>>1296862
Shit that is actually really lame. If I buy a knife when in the country will I be more likely to get in trouble with law as a foreigner?
>>
File: sword.jpg (142 KB, 2112x3765)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>1296863
His entire post is bullshit
Just google this shit:
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/ente/brin/can-i-bring-it-back/can-i-bring-it-back-market-goods-and-shopping/can-i-bring-multi-tool-knives-back
And
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/ente/brin/can-i-bring-it-back/can-i-bring-it-back-market-goods-and-shopping/can-i-bring-swords-and-bayonets-back

If you want to bring a fucking viking sword to Australia, go ahead. Just don't bring it in your carry on.

Anyone can buy bowie knife from the camping store, no matter how foreign you sound. Are you planning on backpacking or something?
>>
>>1296863
>>1296910
You'll need a "valid reason" for carrying it.
I got questioned by police for having a leatherman on me while walking out of mcdonalds. I told them I'm a park ranger and I'm going fishing, and I forgot it was even on my belt, which to them was a valid reason.
In general they're pretty good about it. Just don't ever tell them it's for self defense, say you're going fishing or camping etc.
They wouldn't want you walking around the city with a fuckin big knife on your hip though.
>>
>>1296861
Australia is no longer a cool /out/ place like it was decades ago. They're a cucked state knowingly participating in their Muslim takeover, laying the groundwork with their liberal anti-weapon self destruction.

I've been to Australia 5 times in the last 10 years, for 3-4 weeks each time. Love the place. But for God's sake, they just don't get it when it comes to self defense. They're like the David Hogg generation, been without guns for just long enough that they think gun=evil instead of gun=defense. They're such a ripe target. Sad.
>>
>>1297061
Yeah, that is sad because as an ignorant non-Australian I still have this romantic notion that it's a frontier in itself, with lots of tough individualism and a place where men are men. I picture dudes carrying Bowie knives in the outback, a rifle on their saddle or in their truck, maybe ready to stab something and toss it on the barbie for dinner.

Now I don't even want to go to Australia, if I'm just going to find out they've degenerated into a bunch of lame pussies like half of Europe and the whole UK.
>>
>>1295875
Not saying it's the best of all time, because maybe that has a lot to do with personal preference... but my Dad always took a Buck 119 on our camping trips, I bought one with my own money when I was 14 and have used the thing for over 15 years now. It's an awesome knife. I don't baton with it (in fact I don't baton period, never needed to)...but it sure has been useful for anything I needed and it's held up to occasional abuse and a lot of general wear and tear, but still looks to be 90% as good as the day I bought it. Just a few scratches here and there.
>>
>>1297136
Buck 119 Master Race. I've owned a lot of cheaper and more expensive knives, but this is the one I always make sure I have with me when I'm /out/.
>>
>>1296652
Git a quality ferro rod. Sharpen and start fires at the same time!
>>
>Be bong
>actually bin that knoife
>>
File: companion.jpg (9 KB, 355x270)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1296687
For feathering and sharpening sticks you want a knife with scandi grind. It cuts wood better and controlling the depth of the cut is easier than with any other grind. You don't want serrated edge on the back of the blade, that's where your thumb is pressing when you're doing fine work. If you need a tiny saw, get the smallest Victorinox with a saw as a backup knife (like Camper). At least that saw actually cuts, unlike saws found in toy survival knives. And yes, serrated or partially serrated blades are even worse. Useless when out and they can not be sharpened without special tools.

Just buy a Mora Companion (carbon steel) and be done with it. Black, green, orange, whatever color you like. Use Youtube and learn to sharpen it properly. Adding patina when it's still new and shiny is not a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2VZW5Nt_A8

For other tasks than cutting wood I would recommend something stainless (AUS8 or similar/better) and full flat or hollow grind.
>unless you want a survival knife capable of splitting wood and taking down small trees.
>>
>>1297149
theres a sheath from an army issue kukri in there, and a fucking hammer ...
>>
>>1297149
Damn you, anon, you've gone and triggered me.

I can always still stand the gun control morons because 90% of the time they just don't even understand guns, have no clue how they work, and it's an irrational fear. So I figure there's hope for /k/ and /out/ type folks to educate them.

Then I realize there is literally an entire country full of fucktards who are marching and doing protests and PR campaigns and having debates TO GET RID OF POINTY THINGS. Aw, Jesus - come on, look at the damn photo. I see a nice yellow handled cake knife with ROUND tip, a few knives of the sort that I chop carrots with, a couple of stupid meme knives not even suitable for combat like an oversize Bowie and a brass knuckle knife - shit that would be laughable flea market stuff in the US - and generally a whole bunch of stuff I'd expect to see in an average kitchen, and not certain how an average kitchen could function without.

Ugh. Fucking Brits. Next you're going to ban testicles, then start on banning "hot things" like lighters and stoves and candles. Banning golf clubs and cricket bats is actually already in the works, in case you didn't know...if you keep one near your door or indicate that you intend to use it for self defense, you've committed an offence.

I weep for the fact that any group of mankind has become so weak. Especially the group that came so far to conquer ice ages and create European culture and music and metallurgy and science and so much more. The weak point is that white people apparently reach the peak of their evolution at gutless, stupid, and completely cuckolded. What the fuck, Europe? I mean, fanny packs and mopeds are one thing, but now you're fucking handing over your kitchen knives? I guess we can hope that some fanatical leader comes along and boots you in the ass to behave like men again.
>>
>>1297235
>only cowards carry
Dude don't go read that article or you'll end up raging hard. I don't get the bong mindset, they have a hige fear of knives. You can see it both in the articles that the newspapers publish but also in the comment section, it's fucking unbelievable. I guess that has to do with most of them living in the urban sprawl surrounded by criminals that can only equate the need for a knife with bad things.

They often cry for people caught with a knife to be sent to prison for 10 years or more regardless if they commit an offense or not. And then they wonder how they get with draconian laws.

They also bin'd some old firearms
>>
>>1297167
I'll never buy a Mora again. I had one that I really liked but barely used. Was literally using it to chop wild scallions on a wooden cutting board when it snapped. Looking at it, it became obvious there was an inclusion in the steel - a sort of pit of impurity right there along the spine. I took photos, sent them off to warranty. They responded that they needed to have the knife sent to them to inspect. So I took more photos and a video for my own records showing the problem, had a friend who is an engineer take a look at it, and then mailed them the knife at my expense. I got an email almost two months later saying that the damage was the result of "misuse or accident."

I can afford to piss away some money on a knife, or I wouldn't have bought one of the most overpriced knives on the market. But I'm never going to tolerate lousy customer service or poor warranty service. I asked them to send me the knife back (I was just going to keep it to show people why not to buy a Mora). They didn't. Two weeks later I got an email saying that "broken tips are not covered under warranty" - obviously a form denial, because I had already been denied for another reason, but I went with it and responded that they could check my knife, it wasn't broken at the tip, it was broken on the spine, nearer the hilt than the tip, and I sent them a photo. Their next response was that I "should send the knife for inspection." I reminded them that they still HAD the knife. Next response: "damage was caused by misuse." I pointed out that I had video and photos showing that there was zero damage to the edge indicating misuse, and that there was a big "pit" in the metal of the spine which appeared to be an inclusion exactly where it snapped. Their response was...that I should send them a photo.

So yeah, I gave up. But I will never own another fucking Mora as long as I live. A sharp rock is better, and less likely to break.
>>
>>1297149
There are less than 10 items you could call illegal weapons in that heap, most of them UK legal outdoor knives. I can't see a single folding knife, the thing people may carry in reality.

Did the UK police really publish this photo?

>>1297235
What happens in UK is good for US. It's more difficult to take away your guns when Europe is full of examples of what will follow next. Whatever your freedom is, I hope you can keep it.
>>
>>1297251
what model?
>>
>>1297253
>Did the UK police really publish this photo?
Not the bolice, it's some .org
They then give the lot to the cops to be destroyed

>Only Cowards Carry Weapons Awareness was founded in November 2012 by Caroline Shearer in memory of her 17 year old son Jay Whiston, who was fatally stabbed in September 2012. Continually driven by the devastating loss of Jay, Caroline and the team have worked tirelessly to promote Only Cowards Carry Weapons Awareness in the hope that young people understand the stark facts and devastating, life changing, true reality of knife crime. Caroline began to investigate education given to children at school, and discovered that although children were being taught internet safety, road safety and even sex education from as young as 7 years old, there was no provision for Weapons Awareness education.
>>
>>1297259
>>
>>1297251
I find your story hard to believe. Even if there was big bubbles of inpurities in the steel how could it break while chopping wild scallions. Their quality is very consistent and the steel is the best of quality. There will never be a mass production line with 100% perfect output so of course it's possible, not calling you a liar.

As for customer service that sucks, but what if they just could not belive it was real as they are mostly dealing with cases where there is nothing wrong with their knives? People at customer service are not running a factory or in charge of quality control. I would not make 'never again' decision based on bad customer service alone. It's just a single person who may even hate the company he/she is working for.

There are very few knife companies that make quality products with affordable price. What's the point of boycotting one of them? Will you be happy when your chinese Bear Grylls knife breaks and they send you a new one?
>>
Bought this thing online the other day.

My progression:
My first knife was a 1980s Wenger SAK my dad passed down to me. It got job done and I still bring it often because I like the magnifying glass+pick+scissors but after a long while I wanted more.
I got some shitty, thin gerber folder half serrated. Tip broke off not even doing anything crazy, pivot kept loosening to the point it just flicks out with the slightest movement, annoying to sharpen; overall just bad.
So I got a Kershaw Blur in s30v. It's now usually my EDC around town. Probably illegal in Canada but I can't figure it out because it's not a 'gravity knife' and I can't flip it out without pushing the thumb stud, so I think I'm okay. Anyways, it's kinda a bitch to sharpen because of the hard steel and pronounced belly, but it holds an edge so damn well, super strong and reliable, and doesn't corrode very easily. I hook it to my life vest most of the time for easy access when on the canoe.
Then I figured I needed a fixed blade for some more robust tasks so I got a Becker BK7. Stripped the bullshit black coating, polished it, and put some wood scales on it. Looks absolutely gorgeous, but the thing is honestly way too big and cumbersome. It's a beast of a knife though and I'll sometimes bring it instead of the axe, but overall rarely use it. I also hate the tacticool sheath it came with, gotta make a leather one.
Then I got a Becker/ESEE BK24 neck knife in D2 tool steel. Wrapped it in paracord and it's usually my go to knife. Also a tank of a knife, and definitely way too heavy to be a necker, but it's a good size albeit thick.

Somewhere in there I got a hatchet so I don't even use my knife for wood processing anymore.
Anyways, I bought this thing because filleting fish with the other knives is a bitch because of how thick the fixed blades are and how small the folders are. Also generally don't need a super robust knife anymore. Did I waste my money?
>>
>>1297365
I love grohmann knives. I think that's a good choice.
>>
>>1297149
>kitchen knives and edgy stainless
>giant copper kukri
>>
>>1297235

and once they run out of things to ban, they might even go as far as banning murder altogether...

oh, wait...
>>
>>1297259
>only cowards carry weapons

>be me
>walk up to the bitch and produce both knives I carry at work
>resent being called a coward
>demand satisfaction
>pistols at dawn

one can dream...
>>
File: 20180207_211946.jpg (3.6 MB, 4128x2322)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
>>1297365
>Did I waste my money?

no, the CBK is a good design, if a little less known, and not as popular as the usual countless variations of puukko, or woodlore knives.

Here, have a picture of another fairly obscure knife. Used by the Yakut people living in Siberia.
>>
File: pa.png (164 KB, 409x325)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
>>1297251
>one of the most overpriced knives on the market
>>
>>1297133
As an Aussie, our country is still good for outdoors stuff, however I wouldn't recommend coming here during the summer due to fire restrictions. The best places are well outside the cities. If you reconsider and end up coming over, try the Warrumbungles during off-peak season (a fairly small national park only about 6hrs out of Sydney). Otherwise, I would suggest Tassie for longer walks (Cradle mountain & South coast), or some of the National Parks just outside of Sydney (Bouddie, Blue Mtns). The 'romantic notion' which you speak of is still extant in our rural areas, however the cities are absolutely worthless and should be avoided at all costs.
>>
File: confus.gif (1.68 MB, 332x332)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB GIF
>>1297251
>one of the most overpriced knives on the market.
>>
>>1297546
no, fuck off. you tourists are cancer during holiday season don't start recruiting from fucking overseas.
>>
>>1296910
I'm just going to be surfing and living out of a car and intermittently working to support that. I've just always had a good knife around for random things and it always comes in handy. And I've never used it in self defense though it's a bit of a comfort thing when you are sleeping alone in a strange place.
>>
>>1296910
>>1296914
Also the reason I'm worried is the blade can be flicked open pretty easily, therefore making it triggering for customs. I just don't want to fuck up my visa over a 3 inch assault knife
>>
File: C56010.png (505 KB, 400x635)
505 KB
505 KB PNG
https://youtu.be/KURIF3ZRXxY
>>
File: IMG_20180620_113513.jpg (4.43 MB, 3120x4160)
4.43 MB
4.43 MB JPG
Elwell 1961 machete.
Casstrom No. 10 bushcraft knife.
AB Joker folding knife.
Old school Swiss army knife my grandad gave me before he died.
100 years of scouting edition Swiss army knife.
Opinel folding knife.
Mushroom knife.
Cheap tat knife from french tourist shop, kinda fun to mess around with.
>>
>>1297235
>I weep for the fact that any group of mankind has become so weak.

The only thing you should weep for is your own pig-ignorance. None of what you described has happened, or is going to happen.

Now fuck off back to /pol/ and let the rest of us get on with being /out/.
>>
What is outs opinion on opinels? Are they good if I pack one solely for foodstuffs
>>
>>1297602
Oi oi bruv do u hav a loicense for that hateful comment?
>>
>>1297605
That's about all I'd pack it for (also for light cutting.)
>>
>>1297251
if you ""knew"" it was a factory defect, why the fuck did you even bother sending it to them? its a cheap as dirt knife, did you expect them to be like " oh oh i am sooooo sorry, please let me rub your shoulders and give you a blowjob" just such a fucking entitled mindset
>>
>>1297251
Do you still have the photos? Would you mind posting them?
>>
>>1296820
I also forgot to mention that i'll probably be using it for batoning and whittling the the inside of split logs to make tinder.

I'd like to take the time to throw because in Australia when your out it's illegal to have a firearm and taking a compound bow is not always an option.

The two main ones i've been thinking of are a kabar as I've heard it's a good knife and that one that alfie guy uses as a it like to be a pretty solid knife.

Thanks for the advice i'll make sure to keep those specificationsin mind.
>>
>>1297653
Then get a shepherd's axe, or a kukri, or tomahawk - they make far better weapons than throwing your knife away does.

Alfie doesn't much care for knives, being a bong anx all, anx as much as i respect his outings, i'd sooner take Mors' opinion (check karamat wilderness ways on yt for a video on Mors' knives)
>>
File: 20180526_225025.jpg (1.94 MB, 2560x1440)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>1297670
Mors is GOAT
>>
>>1297637
Not that guy, but I paid over $100 for my Mora Bushcraft, and I know the Mora Garburg goes for more. You can call me a poorfag but if I spend $100 on something whose sole purpose is to be sharp and not brittle, I want to be pretty happy with it for as long as I have it. Especially when I could pay $5 and get something that meets the same basic criteria.
>>
File: 20180605_125403.jpg (2.24 MB, 2560x1440)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>1297725
Until I see a picture or a screencap of the mail's from Mora, I highly doubt he broke it just cutting shallots
>>
>>1297596
That's a neat 'chete. How's it's chopping?
>>
>>1298346
Not sure actually, haven't got round to using it yet! Feels nice and balanced in my hand though.
>>
>>1297732
Meh, I can see where it could happen. I collect knives, have a bunch. I don't misuse them so it isn't often that I see a breakage, but when I do it's almost always something like that poster was describing. An inclusion in the steel can break with very little direct or torsional force. Happened to me with a Gerber and a very expensive dive knife. That stuff is probably a bit difficult to do quality control on so the occasional bad one is inevitable. I have no problem believing it - or that customer service was poor, that's true of most manufacturers unfortunately. I just don't think it reflects poorly on Mora, as it happens with both great and crappy quality knives (though I'd expect a knife manufacturer to choose between being the crappy Chinese zero support or really trying to develop a good rep in the event of a problem.)
>>
>>1297637
Nah, m8 - not hard to tell when it's a factory defect like he described. You can see a literal bubble in the metal near the break, and nothing is twisted or bent up like you'd see in someone using it prybar style. I had a decent knife snap in half on me a few years back when I was cutting a freaking leather strap folded in half in my hands. The inside of the "spine" where it broke looked like a protein shake that you didn't shake up enough, kinda a rough grainy bubble.
>>
How do you guys sharpen your knives?
>>
>>1298395
I learned to freehand sharpen using waterstones. There are pros and cons to every sharpening tool, but I like that I can use improvised materials to sharpen my knives if needed, since the skill comes with me everywhere. I've used cinder blocks, river rocks, ceramic plates/mugs, and cardboard in a pinch, though of course proper stones are best.

It can take several years to git gud, but I'm happy with the results, and it's fun. Very meditative to take 30-40 minutes and put on an edge.
>>
File: 98765.jpg (92 KB, 1300x953)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Could you finish off sharpening the blade on book pages? Is it comparable to a newspaper?
>>
>tfw beard now long enough that it interferes with neck carrying my mora classic
>feels good, but also annoiying
>>
>>1298454
Book pages are plain paper.
Newspaper supposably contains clay, which maybe possibly helps polish the edge.

But it's bullshit. Just spend $2 on a stick of compound and rub it on an old belt.
>>
What knife style and brand is preferred for personal/home defense?
>>
>>1299156
a shooty one
>>
File: MTA894GN.jpg (52 KB, 800x800)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1299156
>>
>>1299156
You should go to /k/ with stupid questions like this, let me spare you the trouble of also shitting up that board by telling you EXACTLY what they are gonna tell you
A GUN
>>
File: puukko.jpg (1.49 MB, 2592x1456)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
How often do you polish your knoife

I do mine every night
>>
File: otter_mercator_knife-4.jpg (1.13 MB, 1600x1067)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
I was supposed to get pic related yesterday. But the new guy denied the package, so it got sent back all the way to Germany (not getting postage refunded). I am pissed. What is an alright knife for £50-60 (80$)? Just edc or chill camping.
>>
>>1297558
>This land is my land! You're not allowed to enjoy it!

Fuck off, it's my right as a human fucking being to explore this planet. Anyone who says otherwise actually needs to kill themselves.
>>
>>1299470
>muh human rights
take it to facebook sweetie
>>
File: 875567.png (238 KB, 510x406)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
Does anyone else experience rusting near the plastic handle on their Mora? Every time after I clean or sharpen my knife with water I notice two little rust bubbles that form on each side of the blade. They appear a few minutes after I dry my blade with a cloth and oil it.

Pic related. It's completely symmetrical on both sides.
>>
File: paint-stir-sticks1.png (212 KB, 559x834)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
>>1299142
I take compound and put it directly on a 12" painter's mixing stick that I get free at the hardware store, you can really dial in the apex using a stick instead of the belt.
>>
>>1299185

Glock17 with Glazer safety rounds.

https://youtu.be/hFxG6Hpy3A4?t=105

Shoot your bad guy, not your neighbors or your kids on the other side of the house.
>>
>>1299524
You miss a wet spot. Make sure to dry that too.
>>
>>1299524
Nope, never had that happen
>>
>>1299531
Yeah, I thought that might be the case so I made sure it’s really 100% dry the second time. I ran the corner of a folded paper towel along the edge on both sides. The two drops appeared again, on both sides on exactly the same spot. It’s as if there was a microscopic opening on each side which holds the water in until it pushes it out when it starts to rust. Could this occur in any way because of the shape of the tang? Because it’s so symmetrical.
>>
File: 20180623_101505.jpg (2.35 MB, 4032x3024)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
My baby.

I've had this for 5 years, Whetstone every week. Found it in a police car I bought

I've skinned a deer with this knife
>>
>>1299524
I just melted some wax in that little void so water doesn't get in.
Actually I used cheese wax but it doesn't matter.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (177 KB, 1280x720)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
I got three J. A. Hellberg knives from my grandfather a few weeks ago. Any experiences with these?
>>
>>1299588
thats a really cute knive man, nice scales
>>
>>1299588
oi oi mate do you have a license for that?
>>
>>1299675
>being able to buy a used police car
i really fucking doubt he is British
>>
>>1299675
I'm American and It's legal to carry openly in my state, I don't think we even have knife laws..
>>
Can anyone recommend the SpyderCo Tenacious? It looks good but I can just get a Kershaw or Ontario for cheaper. I know nothing about knives and just bring my uncles old buck when I go /out/.
>>
>>1299865
Britain doesn't have knife laws either.

The British system has a list of items you are allowed to carry.
Some are without restriction, some are with license only, and some with "good reason".
What is not on the list, is not permissible.

Folding knives with a blade under 3" measured from the handle are permitted after you pass a background check and get a permit.

Electricians knives and stanley knives are allowed if you are a licensed tradesman. They must be registered with the police and kept in a locked toolbox when not on the job.

All sales should be done through a licensed cutlery shop and reported to the police within 2 days.
>>
File: 1494475551057.png (728 KB, 560x1199)
728 KB
728 KB PNG
>>1299877
You're also obligated by law to ostracize anyone who carries a knife.

#onlycowardscarry
>>
>>1297637
>be company
>offer warranty
>customer ask for warranty
>STOP BEING FUCKING ENTITLED, YOU GOT THAT FOR CHEAP, WTF GO FUCK YOURSELF
are you an idiot?
>>
>>1299876
Ontario RAT I in D2 is the best cheapo non-Chinese folding knife
>>
>>1297638
yeah, where the fotos buddy
>>
File: n10_pruning_knife_web.jpg (184 KB, 1520x900)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
I could justify the purchase by using it as a mushroom knife? Right guys? ... right?
>dat curve
>>
>>1296652
Actually it depends. I sometimes use a honing guide and a section of my driveway to rough grind my woodworking plane blades. Probably not gonna work too well on the thin edge of a knife though.
>>
>>1298395
I use a set of arkansas stones or my india stone. I bought them for woodworking and desu the india stone does just fine by itself but I usually take the time to work from a soft, hard, and black arkansas stone. Sometimes I strop to get a literal razor sharp edge but usually its not worth the effort. Takes less than 15 minutes to do all three blades on my case stockman
>>
>>1296652
No.
>>
File: IMG_5753.jpg (3.7 MB, 3264x2448)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB JPG
Friendly reminder that the bk16 is the best knife in cost-quality relation that you can bring outdoors
>>
>>1295875
My knife. Know idea the brand of when it was made, had it for a couple years after a friend gave it to me. I use it pretty much only for eating and other food related stuff. Only stamp i can find anywhere on it is a worn “Japan” marking. Sheath is homemade
>>
>>1299877
>doesn’t have knife laws
>restricts types of knives and makes you get a background check
>American firearm sales tier laws to buy a kitchen set
Lol what
>>
>>1300739
It doesn't have laws restricting knives.
It only has laws that permit the carry of knives, meaning a defacto ban.
>>
>>1300751
This is the basic difference between American and English systems.

One tells you what the law allows.

The other tells you what The law doesn't allow.
>>
>>1300762
UK system is a fucking joke then, "everything is banned unless the law state otherwise" that's fucking bullshit
>>
>>1299877
This is BS, you don’t need a background check to get a folder, just need to be over 18. What are you on? I can go to the hiking shop down the road and buy a mora with no questions asked.
>>
>>1300820
>>1300739
>Being this naive
>>
>>1300823
>being this misinformed

I’ve lived in the UK all my life, own two knives for /out/ and a kitchen full of knives for cooking. You don’t need a license. I’ve had my SAK out in the street trimming loose strings on an instrument and the police haven’t given me any trouble.
>>
can you even shave the queen with a folder?
>>
>>1297618
ha ha, it's funny bc their Internet really is gonna be censored soon
>>
>>1297538
where can I obtain a fine piece of cutlery such as this? or in similar fashion?
>>
>>1300826
>Not understanding that anon was memimg
Jebus anon it's getting embarrassing.
>>
I bought one of those Spanish Mauser bolo bayonets made ~1940 a few years back and haven't done anything with it. Are they ok knives for light brush and woodworking?
>>
>>1300815

It's also untrue.
>>
>>1297133
>>1297061

Having visited the UK and Australia specifically to hunt, you're full of shit.

Australia is singularly the worst country ever to get firearms in and out of.

Same for knives. The problem is that if you dunder around screeching "NO STEP ON SNEK" like a retard, nobody is going to want you in their country full stop. I'm honestly so delighted that most of you guys don't even have passports and that the only guys and gals I have to deal with from the US are the ones you make fun of as Fuds.
>>
>>1300928
Are all Australians big vaginas like you?

Don't bother with a response. It was a rhetorical question.
>>
>>1300940

I only went to Australia twice and everyone was really nice both times. The same cannot be said of the USA.
>>
>>1299303
Yeah, well, don't be too hard on the new guy. At least in the US, if you even accept delivery on a package that you don't know the contents of, and the contents turn out to be a few grams of illegal narcotics, you're going to prison. In Florida, it's a minimum mandatory of 7 years as "trafficking," without the prosecutor having to show any intent to sell or transfer the narcotics - only that you are in possession. It's an "affirmative defense," meaning your job to try to prove, that you couldn't have possibly known what was in it. Police get around this by telling you what I just did, then asking you to elaborate on anything you can think of shady about the guy you were picking it up for (supposedly to show that it's really his problem) and then say "tada, so you knew he was shady and still picked up packages for him, you had constructive knowledge that it could very well be contraband and willful blindness is no defense."
>>
>>1299470
Pray tell, when did this right develop exactly? Because for the entirety of human evolution, if you cross into someone else's hunting grounds or living space you got BTFO'd, often fatally. Hell, even lower life forms have that basic philosophy.

Don't think you have more "basic rights" than the length of your spear can enforce, friendo.
>>
File: Rajah II.jpg (94 KB, 960x960)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
This is unironically my go to knife for 1-3 day trips and it never failed me.
>>
>>1301155
>Cold Steel Made-in-China Mall Ninja garbage
*flash*

this is going in my cringe folder
>>
File: maxresdefaultqewqe.jpg (174 KB, 1920x1080)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>1301155
that's a fun knife to use
>>
>>1301156

>pseudo elitist basement dweller that posts on /out/
*snap*

this is going into my dicklet folder
>>
>>1301162

kek, Opinels actually arent that bad
>>
I typically hike with an ESEE 4 and camp with that and a decent hatchet. I also own an ESEE 6 for some added versatility but it doesn't see much use.

I just purchased a Benchmade Bushcrafter 162. I know a bar of S30v shouldn't be that expensive but other than that did I fuck up? My hope is that it's a solid middle ground option between the 4 and the 6.
>>
>>1301156

>being this assmad about what someone else opens their ramen with
>>
>>1301156

You can literally chop down small trees with this knife you retard
>>
is using sandpaper to sharpen knifes a bad idea also what are some household items i can use to sharpen knifes is there a certain way i should hold my knife while sharpening?
>>
>>1301288
Sandpaper is fine. Is Mors Kochanski approved
Just use 400 grit and up.
>>
>>1301251
Yeah but why tho?
>>
File: IMG_0550.jpg (1.84 MB, 3264x2448)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>1296687
Terävä Jääkäripuukko
> feathering, making kindling and sharpening sticks
Very good at all of those activities.
> throw
why? But I also saw a youtuber throw it accurately from 5 yards

I would say it's the best knife ever in its price range and everyone should get one IF and that's a big if it's in stock.
>>
>>1300141
> Mushroom knife
> No brush on top of handle
Why call it a mushroom knife?
>>
>>1302158
it isnt a mushroom knife, its pruning/fruit collecting knife, the sickle shape is to bunch up stuff and cut better or make circular cuts into bark of saplings

also the brush attached to mushrooms knives is pointless and annoying
>>
What does /out/ think of neck knives? I personally don't go /out/ without one and end up doing 90% of my camp tasks with it

>>1299876
I've got it's little bro the persistence and I love that knife
>>
File: 51XK3noOe5L._UX250_.jpg (20 KB, 250x272)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1302195
neck carry tucked into shirt
>>
>>1296861

I live in Tasmania and it's pretty fucked to be honest. Last year the law changed to make all knives illegal to carry unless you have a 'valid' reason, which is a bit nebulous in my reckoning.

Valid reasons to carry a blade include religious observance, so Sikhs can carry kirpans without persecution but I can't carry a leatherman. Its a full retard state law passed by an overzealous police minister.

That said, I carry my leatherman everywhere and don't take any notice of the changes. I'm fairly confident that I'd be able to justify my need to carry it should I ever need to.
>>
File: 1528163453363.gif (2.24 MB, 695x392)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB GIF
>>1302605
what is it with you aussies man? do you not see the shit going down in britbong world and think "hhhmmmm we'd better not do that"?
>>
File: m16a1 full body.png (934 KB, 3677x2077)
934 KB
934 KB PNG
>>1295875
I want to get an m7 bayonet that's a fixed blade and has good quality steel. Anyone know a good model? Can someone give me a quick rundown on knife metals?
>>
>>1303385
a bayonet is a horrible choice for /out/

The popular outdoor steels are 3v, a2, d2, o1, 52100, 5160, and 1095.

You can get fancy with m390, vanadis, etc. but really - carbide-rich steels like s30v are a bit of a meme in outdoor knives.

Just remember this:
blade 3 to 4 inches long
simple handle with no guard, no choils, and other pseudo-ergonomic features.
1/8 or 3/32 inch thick
full flat, or scandi grind

those are the basic parameters for a good outdoor knife.
>>
>>1303390

>laughs in meme
>>
What file should I sharpen a machete with?
>>
Just got pic related.
>>
File: Glock Field Knoife.jpg (15 KB, 700x408)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>cucks who spend more than 25 bucks on overpriced fag knives post in this thread

fucking kek. Pic related is all you need.
>>
>>1303494

It really is the best knife you can get. It doesn't hold an edge that well, but if you know how to use a whetstone (something children used to be taught) I can't ever see anybody having a problem.
>>
File: 1428466104942.jpg (56 KB, 500x500)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1303441
a beauty, anon.
>>
>>1303441
>>1303550

literally garbage
>>
>>1302803

Ironically enough, it's violence in the states that is most polarizing.
>>
>>1303551
no
>>
File: Boker GEK.jpg (54 KB, 1500x1117)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>1303415
>>1303441

Nice. I got myself this bad boy last week; can't wait to take it out and test it thorougly.
>>
>>1303494
those are really bad knives for anything besides shanking people
>>
>>1303581

>

posting on /out/ does not mean you got a clue because you clearly do not.
>>
>>1303581
They're balanced ok for throwing too actually.
>>
>>1303571
>N690
Let us know how you like it, anon.
>>
>>1303586

It is not my first N690 knife; got any questions?
>>
>>1303586
>>1303588

garbage steel desu
>>
>>1303588
>>1303640

Isn't it just trademarked 440C?
>>
>>1303640
>>1303646

Wrong. It is very similar to VG10. But yeah you could say that it is a more rust resistant, edge retaining 440C. Which is a good thing. 440C in itself get's a lot of shit just for not being fancy enough.
>>
>>1297555
checked and keked
>>
>>1303588
how would you rate its toughness/edge retention ration?
>>
>>1303656

IMHO the steel with the best edge retention while still being able to be sharpened by regular means withou too much effort. I am very happy with it; especially when you think about its purpose. When you are out there you want a good edge retention on a big chopper like this.
>>
>>1303649

Depending on the heat treat, 440c is quite good. It's not typically as good as more modern steels but there's nothing inherently wrong with it.
>>
>>1303660

Spot on. If the manufacturer knows what he is doing 440C knives can be excellent products. I never had any problem with a 440C knife but this might be because I do not buy cheap stuff.
>>
>>1303571

What brand is this?
>>
File: 1427842464160.gif (891 KB, 325x252)
891 KB
891 KB GIF
>>1303687
>>
>>1303660
>>1303667
A finnfag here, yes

>I do not buy cheap stuff
Even more yes regarding tempered martensitic stainless steel. It just can't come cheap.
>>
>>1303583
apparently, he knows enough to realise what garbage te glawk knoife is.

That's literally the second worst knife that anyone can recommend for taking /out/ (right behind a bk2).
>>
>>1303696
you don't really need to buy expensive knives either (even if all my knives are $70+, because I like nice stuff).

Here's simon's ahti vaara:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An5onqgXlQs
>>
>>1304049

t. never used a glock knife
>>
>>1304108
t. never used a decent knife.

I'm sorry anon, but that's just how it is. If you think that glock knives are not garbage then you need to git gud
>>
Know fuck all about "good" knives and what to expect to pay for them. Getting in to camping though so I need a general use one. Suggestions?
>>
>>1304405
I did get a mora classic 2 for carving but I need a meaty fucker that will last and don't have to worry about breaking.
>>
File: 71OVAn33qLL._SX466_.jpg (9 KB, 466x252)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1304405
mora
>>
>>1304407
>>1304409
Got one.
>>
>>1304407
oh, good. are you planning to carry the mora with it or not?
>>
>>1304413
The mora was like £11 so I thought "why not" and got it for practising sharpening and just to have as throwaway so I don't botch a "good" knife in certain tasks. It's actually really good and sturdy but just a bit too small. I need something in addition that has a bit more heft and is larger.
>>
File: indexqdqwq.jpg (11 KB, 259x194)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1304414
I'd recommend the Terävä Jääkäripuukko(s) or Skrama. If they don't look good to you, might need more info on what you're wanting.
>>
>>1304418
These sizes are definitely more what I had in mind. Are there any brands or companies I should avoid? I get the impression there's a lot of scam shit being pushed by certain companies.
>>
File: RAO.jpg (877 KB, 1000x668)
877 KB
877 KB JPG
>>1304405

buy this one and you are set
>>
File: JogcvbK.jpg (135 KB, 1024x575)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>1304420
For big fixed blade well-known brands, I've had some issues with Condor. I'd only get those from a no-hassle return place and test them immediately. Not so much a scam in my opinion, rather unreliable production. Sorry, that's all that's springing to mind.
I mostly see scams on ebay... fake spydercos and whatnot.
Do you have a specific company(s) you're getting a bad vibe from?
>>
>>1304438
I don't know enough companies to name anyone specific other than Cold Steel. Their marketing seems to cater to "tacti-cool" types but then I've heard some defend them also. I do see some knives at the £300 plus mark and I do wonder how they'd justify the price; diminishing returns are surely significant on something like a knife?
>>
>>1304448

>>1304432
>>1304432
>>1304432

just do it
>>
File: 1530086186381.jpg (59 KB, 900x900)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1304457
>>
>>1304448
Yeah for Cold Steel I find most of their value to be in the items that don't have much of an equivalent elsewhere. They do range from $10 thin jagged stamped katanas to higher priced well finished knives that people seem to like. I've handled/inspected but not tested their higher end knives.
Diminishing returns are a thing, absolutely. That's sort of why I was suggesting the Terava stuff. I personally think the price for what you get is very reasonable.
>>
>>1304464

If that fat fuck would make more Boar Spears, I'd buy one.
>>
>>1304462
>>1304448
>>1304405

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEk8LSE90s

Check it out.
>>
>>1304464

I own a couple of their high end knives and they are good shit actually. Especially the Tri-Ad-Lock is awesome.
>>
>>1304479

You would not stand a chance against Lynn C. Thompson in a knife fight.
>>
>>1304492
Is it true that somewhere out there there is a Dutchman who is not crazy?
>>
>>1304502

No. Unfortunately.
>>
>>1304500

I'd just take refuge up a reasonably long flight of stairs.
>>
File: a challenger appears.jpg (67 KB, 864x576)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>1304516

>and now say good night
>>
File: 1393437747894.gif (2.75 MB, 415x349)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB GIF
>>1304525
>>
>>1297259
>Caroline began to investigate education given to children at school, and discovered that although children were being taught internet safety, road safety and even sex education from as young as 7 years old, there was no provision for Weapons Awareness education.
Maybe because this is something that parents are supposed to do? What the fuck is with these people that expect the education system to do all the work for them? It's probably worse here in the US too. I mean, our education system is dogshit but not because they don't teach kids that they shouldn't be stabbing each other with knives. Be a responsible fucking adult and raise your damn children.
>>
have never woodwork
want to woodwork
good knife woodwork? thank
>>
>>1304541

cold steel finn wolf
>>
>>1304420
Just get something sensible, and not a fucking brick like bk2.
Check out Mors Kochansky's knife videos for what makes a good knife.
>>
>>1304526
America was a mistake
>>
>>1304680
UK is worse. Fatties everywhere now.
>>
Just bought a morakniv for 49SEK (~4,90€) in sweden. Life is good.
>>
>>1304687
>Life is good
>in Sweden

doubt.jpeg
>>
Recently found a deer antler innawoods and I want to make it into a knife handle. I've done some basic research into the process and it seems pretty simple:
>drill hole
>epoxy hole
>insert knife

Has anyone done this and care to pass on any lessons learned? Also, anyone have a good recommendations for a knife with a tang suitable for this?
>>
File: 1528472121165.gif (3.91 MB, 479x269)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB GIF
>>1303687
>>1303695
>>
>>1295875
Opinel or RAT?
>>
>>1305806

Are those my only options? I'd say RAT. Opinel is mostly a stylistic choice.
>>
>>1305806

both are meme tier garbage sticks
>>
File: 2.jpg (199 KB, 1358x1019)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
Im going camping in the near future and need some good knifes.

For the small stuff i already have an opinel no. 8, but with that you obviously cant do any heavy stuff like batoning etc.

So i need an additional knife. What are some good options?

Thought about a mora companion heavy duty or a Glock 78 (in the picture). The mora is sharper, but the glock is more robust. Also it is better for self defence, hope this never happens tho.

Opinel + Mora vs. Opinel + Glock 78?
>>
>>1306103
mora. Just get the regular version, not heavy duty - it's thinner, and has better geometry.

Forget the "heavy duty" memery - a knife is a cutting tool first and foremost. If you have to compromise cutting ability for structural meme integrity, you're doing it wrong.

1/8'' is heavy duty enough, but 3/32'' is better for cutting.
>>
File: 20170927_174204.jpg (3.26 MB, 4128x2322)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
>>1306103
>>1306209

also - the glock is soft steel, bad geometry garbage. If you want a knife that works, get something like a puukko, or a kephart, or a drop point. pic related.
>>
>>1306209
>>1306214
alright thank you. then im buying a mora.
another positive thing about the mora is that it is allowed in my country, unlike the glock because the blade is longer than 12cm
>>
Can anyone recommend a good whetstone/grit for a Cr13MoV blade? Currently sharpen it on a 800 grit pocket stone and it performs alright for making tinder, cutting para-cord, bandage, ect. But would like it to be a bit sharper and don't want to accidentally go too sharp that it rolls over after just a little bit of cutting/shaving. I am a knife noob.
>>
File: groupshot.jpg (3.58 MB, 4128x2322)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
>>1306291
generally, you don't want a blade that long. The sweet spot is 3-4 inches, so 7-10 cm (about a palm's width). The only time you really use a longer blade is cutting bread, and sometimes meat (depends on the meat), but that's where all that unnecessary thickness is felt.

Hell - I got a paring knife that's 0.053 inch thick specifically to use with food, and only one of my belt knives goes above 3.2mm (it's a 4.5mm thick yakut knife, but those are a special case).

You really can't go wrong with a mora, since they are so cheap. Same with Opinel - cheap, thin, with great geometry.

pic semi-related. Some of my knives.
>>
File: 20180405_140604.jpg (2.57 MB, 4802x1597)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
>>1306301

4 inches is the master race.

Respect for your collection but you should buy a Benchmade 940.

I've actually lost count of the number of times I've tried to replace it with something I thought was flashy or a FOTM and I just keep going back to it.

Dozens of folders worth at at bare minimum $2k later I finally gave up and triaged my folders down to the 940, a Para 2 that never gets used, and a Leek for those days that require suit pants.
>>
File: enigmaclassic01.jpg (427 KB, 1024x576)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>1306306
thought about it, but to be honest, the knives I use the most are the two neckers (Calton, and Cronos), and the enigma classic folder. That while i'm working (which is mon-fri 8-16), or one of the 3 (yakut, jessmuk, or a puukko from iisakki jarvenpaa, already posted in this thread) while i'm /out/.
>>
>>1306301
that Nessmuk pastern knife is at least interesting
>>
File: IMG_20180703_130842_HDR.jpg (1.53 MB, 3120x4160)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
Spent a bit sharpening, fixing and cleaning my old knife. It was the very first knife I ever owned as a kid so it has some sentimental value towards it. Does anyone know what the model might be? It's stainless steel, folding, short and the handle is made of wood and brass.
>>
>>1306319
any markings on it?
>>
File: IMG_20180703_131546_HDR.jpg (1.67 MB, 4160x3120)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>1306320
Nope, just this.
>>
>>1306322
i have exactly the same knive. but dont know the model either....
>>
>>1306315
>yakut

where'd you get it? the ones i find are pretty bad
>>
>>1306291
Which country makes blades longer than 12cm illegal? Are they illegal to own or to carry?
>>
>>1297365
>>1297371
I found a #2 I a parking lot last year. Not sure I'll ever have a use for it.
>>
>>1306291

t. German cuck
>>
File: uhmm.jpg (21 KB, 480x360)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1306301
>>1306306
>>1306315
>>1306319
>>1306322
>>
>>1306344
they are illegal to carry

>>1306355
yes
>>
>>1306406

How does this make you feel to know that your government treats you like a king a peasant?
>>
>>1306411
Want to leave the country. But at least its not that bad like in the UK
>>
>>1306417

Rather stay and try to change it and make it better desu
>>
>>1306343
Laplander.pl

Made by andrey shishliannikov (sh-andrey) of ust-ilimsk, russia. There's also a website in finland (name escapes me atm) that sells yakut blades.
>>
File: UK-flag-low.jpg (360 KB, 1500x1000)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/222776
>>
>>1306880
Thank you anon
>>
File: images (6).jpg (10 KB, 545x270)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
I want a knife I can do a moderate amount of woodwork with but don't want to lug an axe around

Aware me on this memeshank
>>
What can I do to get rid of faint rustspots on my carbon steel knife? Just sand them off with sandpaper?
>>
>>1305830
>>1305866
Those were just the ones I found. If you have better suggestions feel free.
>>
>>1307444

Have you looked into the German Expedition Knife made by Boker?
>>
>>1307449
I hadn't, but that's a hell of a lot more money than a mora. I also should have specified that I was looking at folding knives for utility and carrying around, since the two I suggested earlier were also folding knives.
>>
>>1307461

Cold Steels FinnWolf might be something for you then. You can even baton with it without fear of breaking the lock.
>>
>>1307422

The bk2 is good at batoning, that 1/4th inch thick blade makes it a pain to carve...It can be done, just a pain. The sheath also sucks, rubs on the edge of the blade and dulls the fuck out of it. even though it's 1/4th and inch thick, the blade length is way to fucking short, so you can't baton that thick of wood. Rather have a Bk7, or a Bk9 partnered with a smaller knife, like an esee izula, more classic, or a folder.
>>
>>1307512
Do you use the stock sheath on the bk7? It looks about a foot and a half long
>>
>>1307422

bk2 is a fucking brick - ugly as hell, heavy as sin, and about as sharp as Tila Tequila
>>
>>1307536

I did until it fell apart. Kydex sheath after that.
>>
>>1302605
Tasmania, home of the Port Arthur black op massacre that kicked off gun control in OZ.
Ground Zero.
>>
>>1297251
If you want to go cheap take a look at spanish knifes instead. Muela and cudeman make some great stuff for peanuts.
>>
>>1297133
Depends on where you are in Australia.
I come from a farm where we rode our dirt bikes on public roads with a rifle on our backs.
My dad is legally allowed to carry a pistol because of the danger of scrub bulls.
Public roads connect our land so we drove our cattle along them, we probably see 1 or 2 cars every few days. There's no cops here.
Top end is still a frontier.
I went to boarding school in Melbourne and it's just a city full of poofters.
>>
>>1307816

Boker Plus is also a good budget choice IMO.
Stay away from Magnum by Boker tho
>>
>>1307462
I thought people here hated batoning. Has /out/ really changed that much since then?
>>
>>1308707

Well batoning is stupid if you have a hatchet/axe available. But sometimes you don't. And a folder that can take batoning can be quite crucial if you got a minimalist setup or did not plan for a situation you got drawn into.
Guy specifically asked for a folder and in my mind sb who does not want to carry a big fixed blade would not carry an even heavier hatchet with him anyways.
>>
>>1307422
>>
File: IMG_0311_600x600.jpg (47 KB, 514x600)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1306319
>>1306322
Looks like buck 55
>>
>>1309145
This looks good and it's a third of the price, thanks anon
>>
>>1309153

Are buck knives any good?
>>
File: shiet.jpg (324 KB, 1920x1080)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
>>1309228
Not him but Yes. Very yes. Pardon the terrible family photo, I nabbed it for a mate earlier today.
I've got two bucks, and a Chinese copy of a stockman. My 119 is fantastic, and the custom 110 folder was a present to myself. I also bought one for my mother and my sister to make a matching set. The 119 was extremely affordable actually. I picked it up for 20 or 30 bucks if I remember right back when I was visiting the states. Bought a left handed sheath for it for obvious reasons.
Left to right: czech spike bayonet, buck 119, muela hunter, mossy oak 12" bowie knife, custom buck 110 folder (one of a kind), buck stockman, Generic folder (NRA welcome gift), Gerber Air ranger G10, Kershaw Cryo II, deejo naked, and the Nieto max hunter 1055.
Also newest cop is the Nieto.
Since I'm an aussie, it was $80, but I think I'll get some pretty decent use out of it
>>
going to buy this one, anyone have experience with this brand?
>>
Recently ordered a Tora Kiranti Sirupate Kukuri and wondering if any of you have experience with a kukuri? Mostly bought it for fun since I had some spending money and always wanted to buy one.

Already have a dedicated knife and tomahawk combo for /out/fagging.
>>
>>1309161
It's what I use outdoors, that's the schrade schf51 I also have the bigger 52. You can beat the ever loving crap out of them and they keep going.
>>
>>1309264

Nice. I am asking because my father gifted a Buck Knife to me a couple of weeks ago which he bought in the US in the 80s I think. Not sure what model it is tho.
>>
>>1309425
Very nice. Buck has a page where you can tell how old one of their knives is by looking at the markings on the blade: buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/
Got any photos of it anon?
>>
>>1309428

I am not home yet but will try to remember to post them when I am back later this day.
>>
>>1309313
"for fun" is literally the only reason anyone buys them since they're useless for just about everything.
>>
>>1309428
>>1309264

You seem to know a lot about buck knives so I got a question for you. I got a 110 BUCK but the blade as a little play sideways when it is out and locked. Is there a way to fix this? I was thinking about putting the frontal part where the rivet is into a vice and applying some pressure?
>>
>>1309520
I wish I did know a lot, but I just like them a shit ton. From what I've seen you might just want to try and tap the pivot pins together with a rubber mallet instead of a vice if you have one. If you have to use a vice, I'd want to put something between the knife and the vise so it doesn't ruin the finish unless you don't mind it
>>
>>1309523

Yeah I was thinking about a piece of cloth or something. I fixed the looseness of my Victorinox EvoGrip S557 pliers with that method as well.
>>
>>1309434
useless, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DHGlhFJH0g

Granted, it's a much bigger knife than I'd normally carry, and on a longer hike i'd take my ciupaga, and a normal knife, but as something to strap to a backpack when camping, a kukri is just fine.
>>
>>1299647
no, but it looks great
>>
Should axes and knives be merged into one thread?
>>
>>1311006

Nah.
>>
File: tanimbocapuukko-m.jpg (182 KB, 1000x662)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
Is this even a real puukko?
>>
File: Nying-slire-540x126.jpg (36 KB, 540x349)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
just bought this, seems practical. thoughts?
>>
I use an ax for wood processing.
>>
File: scoutslogo.jpg (40 KB, 270x294)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1295875
"Scouts are discouraged from owning a sheath knife and in practical terms a penknife is a much better tool for scouts"

Whilst I don't disagree that the scouts should probably get the penknife first, as a leader I hate this rule, we should be teaching them to use the right tool for the right job and if they've been taught to use a knife safely I've no issue with my troop using a sheath knife, hell, to be honest, I'd be happier. A fixed blade knife doesn't catch fingers nearly half as much.

On top of that there is the simply fun of the kids comparing their knives, what's the point if everybody just has the same old SAK?

Any other leaders from other countries have any opinions on this? Is Scouting Ireland just a little strange?
>>
>>1311536
>A fixed blade knife doesn't catch fingers nearly half as much.
My first bad cut when I was a kid was from a folding knife.
Yes, it was my fault as a dumbass kid. I folded the tiny little knife across my not-so-dexterous finger.
>>
>>1311569
Mine too, accidents happen and kids are kids, teaching kids knife safety is step 1, but the less moving parts, the less accidents happen.
>>
>>1311329
technically, puukko means "knife", so go figure.

It's not a bad design, though if you want a full tang puukko in the $160 price range, check out LTWK Lagom, or Kamrat.
>>
>>1311536

That's just typical commie soccer mom bullshit. Truly, on the seventh day, the lord rested. But before he did, he squatted over the side of England, and what came out of him became Ireland...

Not trying to be racist here, but somehow that quote seemed appropriate, given the direction that entire section of YURP is going. You're not alone, though - IIRC, Yankee boyscouts are also encouraged to stay away from knives.

What next? "Safe Space Merit Badge"? Vegan Camping?
>>
File: IMG_20180518_200820.jpg (1.87 MB, 3968x2240)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
Hi guys, what do you think of Opinel Knifes? Picture is my everyday Knife (Opinel No.9 Carbon Steel). Would you take it on a Camping Trip?
>>
>>1311536
In Sweden we do the knife safety course and then you get your badge. Everyone had the Mora scout. From what I can tell it's still the standard choice as a first knife.
>>
>>1311536
Is there anything more faggy than scouts? Fathers should be the ones teaching skills to their sons, not some creepy cunt. For team spirit and all of that you join a sport's team.
>>
>>1311814
good, affordable knifes
yes, would take it on a camping trip for food cutting etc.

an opinel + a mora. thats all you need for camping.
>>
>>1309153
Looks like buck 55 pakistan knockoff.
>>
>>1311835
nah. It depends on what the scout activities are.

Hell - in Poland, during WWII, there were the Grey Ranks (Szare Szeregi) - a support unit made up of scouts.
>>
>>1309313
Pretty versitile imo. Lots of tasks you can accomplish with it. Kind of a jack of all trades master of none though
>>
>>1311835
I do agree with you to an extent, I constantly encourage the parents to take their kids out innawoods and teach, and if they don't know shit, let the kids teach them, but fuck all parents do.

The ones who let their kids teach them a little about the outdoors often have the best scouts as kids IMO.

>>1311814
Good knives, I usually have one.

>>1311831
Honestly my go to sheath knife when /out/ is the Mora 711, sweet sweet Swedish knife magic.
>>
File: 1530994764978.gif (999 KB, 250x251)
999 KB
999 KB GIF
I'm going solo backpacking around Europe with the end goal of being in Norway, I'll be mostly hitchhiking and camping out in forests so ideally I'll need a knife that can be used for just about anything when it comes to food prep and setting up a camp, and potentially for self defense.

What should I buy?
>>
>>1311999
Hate to break it to you, but we've not got a huge amount of forests, outside of certain countries like the scandi's anyway.

As for the knife, I'd honestly recommend the mora, Yuroup is pretty safe desu and knives aren't much accepted, sadly.
>>
>>1311999
First let me acknowledge those digits. That done let me say that you want a sak, that's it.
Fucking around inna cities with some fixed blade in current times will land you on a bad position if for some reason you happen to get frisked.

If you end up buying a mora or the likes at least carry it on the bottom of your pack with your camping gear and not on your person. Personally I would get the victorinox trekker and be done with it.
>>
>>1309153
>>1306319

Compared to the Buck knives I've seen none of them have the nail nick like that one. Since it has no markings it's probably a knockoff or copycat honestly, but it looks like it has earned some value just from how much use you've gotten from it
>>
>>1312021

>Yuroup is pretty safe desu
You make funny.
>>
>>1312708
t. Fox news viewer
>>
>>1312708

europe is in fact pretty safe.
but it was safer before we got our refugees
>>
>>1312895

Stop making jokes, my sides can only handle so much.
>>
>>1312708
Where do you think is so dangerous then?
>>
File: 1458697302512.jpg (370 KB, 1751x1080)
370 KB
370 KB JPG
>>1312895
Pretty much this.
>>
>>1312927
Our wilderness is much safer. There's not nearly so many animal attacks as in the US, simply because we're more densely populated; all the truly dangerous animals got pushed back centuries ago. They still exist (except on the British Isles where they had no-where to run) but they aren't half as thick on the ground simply because there isn't as much space for them.

The rapefugees stay in the cities for the most part.
>>
>>1312927
>go /out/ in american
>get eaten by bears
>get raped and murdered by serial killers
>get spooked by skinwalkers
>get shot for finding hidden drug farm/lab
>get shot for trespassing
>>
>>1312989
Every where.
>>1313066
Don't try to trick me, I know you got mudslimes in the forests too.
>>1313124
Sounds like a personal issue.
>>
>>1296687
don't fuck up a good knife by throwing it, learn to do that with a butterknife thats pointy and heavy.
>>
>>1313154
literally just meming, okay
>>
Are Ganzos terrible knives or just blatant knockoffs?
>>
>>1313273
Both
>>
>>1311403
Saw one on an old camper the other day. Liked the sheath design.
Any good?
>>
>>1301372
Last I checked they had over a hundred in both steels.
>tfw Varusteleka will never, ever have the four things you want in stock at the same time.
>>
This should be arriving in the mail any day now, It's a 7" thai jungle bowie knife.
Might be a bit out of place in a Swedish forest. But I used to have one when I lived in Thailand that I somehow misplaced, so I guess it's more for nostalgia than actual usage.
>>
File: ooppw.jpg (652 KB, 1328x996)
652 KB
652 KB JPG
What do you think of my first selfmade knife?
>>
>>1313563
Has a nice look! Did you burn the surface of the wood a bit for that look on the grip?
>>
File: 20180712_170030.jpg (3.05 MB, 4032x2268)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB JPG
Picked this up some days ago
>>
>>1313650
that the varu one?
>>
>>1313958
Not sure, picked it up from a surplus store that sold a bunch of mint stuff. Believe its from Mil-tec, so not the best, but it works.
>>
>>1306673
I believe at least Brisa sells Yakut blades. Lamnia.com might have them too, but I'm not sure about that.

>>1313521
I live walking distance away from their store (though at the moment in off-grid cabin in Lapland), but only bought one Jääkäripuukko 140 few weeks ago. Didn't buy the sheath for it even though they had some in the store, I carved one out of wood, but it still needs a belt loop of some sort. Waiting to see how their kydex sheath comes out, should be next year.

I decided to get the Jääkäripuukko to try it out and because it really is good value for what it is. I even asked to check out a few of them and pick a good one, but to be honest the quality was very consistent, grinds and plunges were even and tips were mostly symmetrical, common problems with scandi ground blades. Not a bad knife, though my hand did get a bit sweaty using the rubber handle when doing extended carving for the sheath. My main knife for the past few years has been EnZo Camper, I will keep using it in the future too, but the Jääkäripuukko seems like better value to me.
>>
>>1314009
brisa it was.
>>
>>1309297
I have the MT5. /out/ usually shits on brands they dont know but I’ve had the Cudeman for a year and abused it without any problem whatsoever. Only thing is the N695 Bohler steel is so hard, you’ll have a hard time sharpening it at home. Get it professionally sharpened. That being said, it holds an edge for an unbelievable amount of abuse
>>
>>1313563
It looks rather nice desu
>>
>>1297194
>oi, you tryin to deposit that hammer in the knoife bin?
>sorry m8, my hammering loisence expired and the hammer bin was full
>awright then, carry on, but i've got my eye on you
>>
>>1301163
>my dicklet folder

i bet its hard to keep track of all the folders you have with dicks in them
>>
>>1311778
>what's next?

they remove "boy" from the name and encourage females to join
>>
>>1313124
>go /out/ in american
>>get eaten by bears

fell for the bear spray meme

>>get raped and murdered by serial killers

nothing bullets couldn't cure

>>get spooked by skinwalkers

I wouldnt worry about it

>>get shot for finding hidden drug farm/lab

should have been armed

>>get shot for trespassing

get off our lawn
>>
Just bought a S&W pocket knife. Nice blade
>>
>>1313124
China is the only country that rivals America in natural beauty. Too bad they’re not more open to travel
>>
>>1314532
maybe
but only because Canada surpasses America in beauty.
Canada is like Emilio Estevez to America's Charlie Sheen, They may be siblings but Canada still looks good and stays out of the news while America is an AIDS infested hole that still insists that it's winning.
>>
>>1315108
canada is one trick poney
>>
>>1313306
little late, but it's of sturdy construction, handle has a good feel in the hand but might be a bit short. The blade is quite thick, but the knife overall is quite small. I found that to be an asset for a lot of carving jobs, but you couldn't use it effectively for batoning. Great neck knife, but it needs to be paired with a larger tool like a leuku, or an axe.
>>
>>1315151
if by 1 trick you mean beautiful then yes you are correct
>>
>>1297149
A fucking bread-knife

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.