[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Who /ozarks/ here?

What are your favorite spots and trails?
>>
So it's just Appalachia but with all the fucked up flora and fauna of the Lowlands, right?
>>
File: 155463574.jpg (1.9 MB, 3375x2118)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>1313994
Sort of, but much smaller than the Appalachia region, which is itself much smaller than western mountain regions. I put all the basic mountainous regions on this map, zoom in for details. The Ozarks are the only major mountainous region between the Rockies/mountain west and the Appalachians.
>>
>>1314021
I was hoping you could speak more about general conditions encountered while /out/. If I sit on the ground am i going to get massacred by chiggers, do you have mosquitos and other annoying insects most of the year, is it always hot and humid, is the water clean or is it full of leaches and snakes, poisonous or otherwise thorny/ uncomfortable vegitation everywhere, etc?
>>
>>1314037
I'm not OP or from the Ozarks. But the Ozarks drain a lot of smaller water tributaries (nice clean streams filling long thin lakes), it is probably quite humid and warm, not hot by my standards but probably hot for some. Quite similar vegetation types to mid-elevation Appalachia with mixed forests and brush. Not certain on anything else.

>>1314021
Also forgot, highest for Ozark region there is actually 2,753 ft in the Ouachita mts.
>>
>>1314037/

OP here, the best times to visit are spring and fall, winters are relatively mild as well. Summers have it all: heavy humidity and stifling heat, skeeters, ticks, cicadas, and in Arkansas tons of chiggers. (Missouri isn't as bad with chiggers in my experience.) The vegetation is basically rainforest-tier in the summer, so if you go off-trail be prepared to bushwhack.

Beautiful region though, the land feels much "older" than the west, if that makes any sense. Very mysterious and brooding. The midwest is pretty lame when it comes to public land but the Ozarks are a jewel. If forests and rolling hills and hidden streams are your thing you'll love the area. (I guess technically it's a "mountain" region but 2000-something feet doesn't count as a mountain in my book.)
>>
>>1314390
Thanks OP, preciate it!
Ozarks are definitely on my list. I heard the squirrel hunting is God tier there. How is the trout fishing? Seems a little hot and uncomfortable, but my hillbilly ass would have a blast in the fall, I bet.
>>
>>1313517
Planning on going this fall. Definitely going to check out Devil's Den and The Glory Hole. I'm also doing the Eagle Rock Loop trail this fall, the hardest and best rated trail in Arkansas. It's in the Ouachita Mountains just south of the Ozarks. The ranges aren't far from each other. I went to Mt. Magazine, the tallest mountain in Arkansas, this spring, and from one side of the mountain you could see the Ouachitas and from the northern side you could see the Ozark plateau. The northern ouachiatas are cut off from the rest of the mountains and are taller and have a distinct feel to them. Creepy as fuck at night.
>>
>>1314037
Missourifag here
Right now until about September is pretty miserable temperature/humidity wise for hiking but fuck it, go for it dude. If you're camping innawoods do it far away from water to avoid mosquitoes. Also the woods are LOUD at night in the Ozarks, sound like a goddamn jungle, hope you're not a light sleeper. Keep in mind there are poisonous snakes here, Cottonmouths in the water and Copperheads/rattlesnakes elsewhere. Just be alert. I don't encounter them much except when fishing in small streams. As far as chiggers go I get them frequently in the summer but if you don't go through grass and vegetation they typically wont be a big problem. Don't lay in fields like a fucking hippie. Check for ticks frequently. Know what poison ivy looks like. A water filter like a Katadyn Hiker is my most valuable item. But generally speaking pollution in the Ozarks is chemical runoff from farms or from mining activities. None of which is easily filtered out so be careful.

Overall, the Ozarks in the summer are beautiful but don't be an idiot and don't get too comfortable or you'll definitely get bit/stung by something.
>>
>>1314884
Thanks anon, would definitely like to do a week backpacking out there in a couple of years.
>the woods are LOUD at night in the Ozarks, sound like a goddamn jungle
Damn I'm spoiled up here in my semi boreal silence where the only sound is the keening of the wind in spruce boughs and maybe a bard owl.
>>
>>1314903
You're welcome. The loudness is only during the summer months because of cicadas, crickets, and birds and stuff.
Come here in May or late October for the best experience!
>>
>>1314694
Trout are non native but there are a few established populations descended from stockies, and a few stocked streams. rainbows and browns.

the lakes have excellent striper/wiper/white/LMB bass, sauger, and pickerel fishing. streams and rivers have smallie, spotted, and rock bass. Bigger impoundments have established walleye, pike, and tiger muskies.
>>
(Nearly) every year a friend and I go deep into the Ozarks and stay for a week, hunting wild boar is usually the main activity/non-brought food source.

That anon who said it's basically rainforest-tier in the summer isn't kidding. The Ozarks has some of the densest and most difficult brush in the country, thorny vines, poison ivy, a few bad snakes and bugs to keep an eye out for (personally I'm paranoid about water mocs, so I'm always extra careful when going through streams or ponds).

On the other hand it is absolutely beautiful country, and when you find that place after hours of walking where you're miles from the nearest dirt road and you can camp and shoot as you please it makes it more than worth the hassle.

Pick up your trash or I'll "negligently discharge" in your direction.
>>
>>1315123
I won't have you threatening me, Cambodian buffalo husbandry forum notwithstanding; wouldn't be my first shootout in the hills.
>>
>>1315171
Fair game pal.

I guess that is worth mentioning to any potential Ozark /out/ers, bubba is in these hills, and if he takes a liking to you it could get weird or dangerous. Recommend having a boomstick on hand.
>>
>>1314884
Missouri fag here. St francious county. Gonna check out eagle loop then ride my bike to idaho
>>
>>1313517
For Missouri the taum sauk is good. Arkansas eagle rock
>>
>>1316759
Hillbillies or rednecks? Hillfolk are respectful; rednecks are white niggers.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.