[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

Is this a thing this year? For those that don't know, the people of /out/ bought items for each other that were mostly on people's amazon wish lists. It may only be October right now, but many people who wanted to do it last time said they didn't know in enough advance to be able to move funds around.

I just figured I'd make a thread to remind people. Discuss, ask questions, make comments, reminisce about Secret Santa events of the past, etc.
>>
>>1374397
I was planning on doing it again.

I thought it was really fun.
>>
>>1374552
It does look fun. I helped with some of the link stuff last year, but never actually entered into it in any other manner.
>>
I’ll do it! How does it work? I have quite a bit of crypto funds and I’m feelin festive, I might send you some good quality ultralight gear if you’re lucky
>>
>>1374619
People post their amazon wishlist link or other such website that uses wishlists that other people can order for the person. Then you go to the wishlist link, browse through the /out/-related items they would like someone to get and get what you feel is appropriate. The website charges your method of payment and sends the item to the person.

It is more helpful if everyone has outdoors gear in their wishlists and people stick to getting those. Normally, people try to make sure everyone that posts gets something. If the wishlist isn't setup up correctly then no one will be able to get anything until it is corrected. Some people seemed to throw up a list then never return since their list didn't work right and they never fixed it.
>>
File: 4L_ZC0vUq2Y.jpg (1.24 MB, 3264x2448)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>1374397

I can afford to do it this year!
>>
I think I can participate this year because Amazon has a slightly more stocked Australia site now. Last year it all had to be shipped from the US so a $5 item ended up costing like $15 which kinda ruined it.
>>
>>1374397
>october
go away you consumerist pricks.
>>
>>1374912
no anon, we started in november a couple years and it's not enough time for some anons to save up and also some of the shipping takes a long time. we had discussed that we should start the thread earlier in preparation for the holiday season
>>
>>1374907
Shipping costs are always expensive for orders stuff unless you can get enough to get a discount or have some member card or something. I always line up my purchases so that I buy a lot of things at once to maximize the savings on shipping.
>>
File: secret-santa.png (36 KB, 312x229)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
Giving this a bump from page 7.

It'd be neat if there was an /out/ style patch for these types of events.
>>
This sounds like a nice thing but how does it work?
>could anons be doxed by posting their amazon account?
>if not, how do we know one guy isn't posting different lists a bunch of times?
>how likely is it someone will buy gifts yet get burned on their end?

I think this sounds like a wonderful idea and I would like to believe in the goodness of /out/doorsman, but I can't help but be skeptical.
>>
>>1376201
>could anons be doxed by posting their amazon account?

If I recall, I think you can set it so that Amazon only knows the address. I'd have to read up on it again though. I think it tells you in the wishlist settings and the (?) things.

>if not, how do we know one guy isn't posting different lists a bunch of times?

You don't. That is why these sorts of things are good, because it involves trust.

>how likely is it someone will buy gifts yet get burned on their end?

Very likely. There have been people in the past who said stuff like, "I bought 3 people things, but got nothing." I suggest you focus more on the giving than the receiving.
>>
I'm in

t. climber
>>
>>1376217
>>1376201
> Only the registrant's name and city will appear on the default address to protect the privacy of the list owner.
>If you're purchasing an item from a seller, the default shipping address will only be available if the list owner has enabled third-party address sharing. Otherwise, you'll need to know and enter the shipping address.

So, if you buy from "Amazon" as the "seller" then anyone can do it regardless of settings and no one will know the address. If you buy from a seller on the Amazon marketplace (a 3rd party) then the address is only told to the seller and not the buyer. But, the buyer and seller should both know the name and city, just nothing past that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3058771
>>
>>1376290
>registrant's name

It should be noted that it doesn't need to be your real name for that. Just edit your name on the account info.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3 KB, 168x234)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>1376292
>>1376290
>>1376217
>>1376201
You can skip the 3rd party thing completely by only putting amazon/amazon warehouse stuff on your /out/ Secret Santa wishlist. Just select a department to search in, like "camping & outdoors", search for something then on the side scroll down to this list and check these two. All the results will be only from amazon and no one, not even a 3rd party gets any of your info.
>>
This isn't done, I think. I made this how-to help guide for Secret Santa and how to maintain your anonymity. I'm just at the brainstorming part, but fleshed it out a good bit I think. Does anyone see and glaring mistakes in this?

I know this all for the person creating the wishlist, but I know nothing about the protection for the buyer's privacy. Like is any info at all given to the wishlist person when someone buys something from their wishlist? I think it does send them name and limited billing info, but not sure at what level. Someone had suggested buying a gift card to send to yourself then use it to purchase the item off the wishlist while ensuring the total amount doesn't go over the gift card amount. Someone else suggested there was a way to make sure it was anonymous via a simple setting, but I've yet to find how.
>>
I’m in! Someone sell spurdo patches on amazon so I can add it to a wish list
>>
>>1377031
That anon that makes the outdoor patches just needs to add a wishlist thing to his site. lol
>>
last year i did i through one anon who complied a master list and acted as a point man and everyone exchanged a gift directly with another anon... is that organized anon still around?
>>
I'm in!
>>
Okay, now we wait.

*glances at calendar*
*taps fingers on table*
*glances at calendar again*
>>
>>1374397
Canadian here who participated the last 2 years and I'll be doing it again. Last year I bought a few American anons some books and gear, felt good man.
>>
File: Anon's Happy Floote.png (188 KB, 1323x1185)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
>>1377129
Hopefully, it will be somewhat organized. I did organizing some one year, but I think it was for 2016. I really don't recall.
>>
File: yurucamp.jpg (431 KB, 725x1450)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
>>1377152
yay!
>>
>>1374907
As a kiwi I usually just glumly ignore these kind of things, but I wonder if shipping would be manageable from Australian Amazon.
>>
>>1378779
Does it have any free shipping options when you buy x amount of stuff at once? I know some products have that and if you combine them with other purchases that are also free you don't have shipping costs. But, that's here in the USA, so no clue about you.
>>
What is an appropriate amount to spend?
>>
>>1379740
Whatever you feel like and can afford. You can buy someone a $3 item and it will make someone happy, or you can be a rich fag who buys a whole lot of shit for people.
>>
>>1379906
>>1379740
I'm the type that would give as much as I get, but I doubt I could swing more than $25 including shipping.
>>
Bump
>>
File: 456.jpg (125 KB, 960x640)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
When should this be started? November or just after US Thanksgiving (Nov 22)? I think that's the last big holiday anyone has that would require money, before xmas.
>>
File: geeps_s.png (25 KB, 261x195)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>1380313
It's advisable that you load your list up with sub-$10 items, so anons can not only afford to get you stuff but hopefully get an item for a couple different anons. It makes it more fun that way. It's possible someone might spend $30 on you but put some cheap items in as well so anons who want to participate can even if they don't have much to spend. Basically Coghlan's those lists up.
>>
File: Master List.png (875 KB, 1334x5462)
875 KB
875 KB PNG
>>1381214
>Basically Coghlan's those lists up.

Coghlan mylar emergency blankets for everyone!! Their pocket saws look intriguing, but the reviews are a bit lackluster. Then again some people are really hard on their gear .*stares at the batonny group*

Surprisingly, Coghlan's stuff is not the cheapest. The local store's emergency blankets are over $3 not while the off-brand stuff is like $1.10. Yet, at Walmart they are nearly $4 and Rural King $1.99. On Amazon, everything that reads "$3.xx" ends up being $4-$6 when you actually click on the link to see the listing. The cheapest is a bulk order of 12 emergency blankets of off-brand for $15.99 ($1.33 each.) Which is as much as the aluminum, "Coghlan's Two Burner Non-Stick Camp Griddle, 16.5 x 10-Inches" lol

https://www.ideahacks.com/survival-blanket-uses/
>>
File: 81hIARvD6kL._SL1500_.jpg (191 KB, 1500x1500)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>1381241
Survival Poncho > Emergency Blanket
>>
>>1381244
>modeling for Coghlan's

How do I get this job?
>>
>>1381702
You have to live in China but don look like Asian.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.