[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 61861-UFIxL._SY355_.jpg (15 KB, 355x355)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
What should i buy for my medical kit?
>>
Bandaids
>>
>>1384165
The same as any fucking kit contains, you imbecile. How fucking hard it is to google "first aid kit list" or literally flip open the kit you should fucking carry in your car?
>>
Bandaids.

Tourniquet

Blood stopper gauze

Duct tape

Saline

Gauze

Israeli battle dressings

Trauma sheers

Gloves

Chest needle

First aid card

Basic medicine like aspirin, ibuprofen, tums, etc

Splinting material
I highly recommend taking a first aid class or two, especially for some tools like chest needles and a tourniquet. Using either or can make a situation a lot worse.

I'd also recommend one of those "life alert" things you can have for when outdoors. I forgot what they're called but I'd imagine they would cost a pretty penny.

You can never be too careful. Getting hurt in the wilderness and not being prepared is a life or death situation.
>>
>>1384181
Using either or the wrong way***
>>
>>1384181
>has to come to 4chan for basic first aid kit contents
>recommend a chest decompression needle
Seriously, I got rather extensive training on needle chest decompression and I was still freaked the everloving fuck out the one time I actually had to do it. It's also completely pointless for a home kit.
>>
>>1384169
This. Maybe some Aleve too, and perhaps a ankle wrap, and some super glue. You will never use nearly anything that’s in a medkit - gloves, battle dressings, tourniquet - it’s all useless nonsense that you’ll never use, or you won’t know how to use properly.
>>
>>1384165

Depends, what/where is it designed for?
>>
>>1384165
Only bring things you now how to use.
>>
File: no.jpg (25 KB, 500x344)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1384181
>chest needle
>take a first aid class or two
>mfw
thank you for demonstrating that without a doubt you don't have a first aid kit and have no fucking clue what you're talking about
>>1384270
this anon gets it
>>
>>1384277
Not an argument
>>
>>1384283
not a refutation of my accusation
>>
>>1384283
It's not like you are the one arguing anyone will need chest needle in their regular, average, standarised kit. Along with "Israeli battle dressings" (the fuck for you need battle dressings in the first place?) and putting duct tape into the kit, rather than having it in your backpack (if at all)
You sure you simply don't want to kill someone with your incompetent """help"""?
>>
>>1384349
Look it's better to include random instruments for high risk high skill procedures than to just include things that will actually be used.

Better that someone ruptures an artery or pierces a vital organ in panic than wait for someone who knows what they're doing.

If you don't know how to use something confidently don't put it in your kit opie. That applies from everything from the bandais and irrigation solution to the trache kit.
>>
File: 1447806835818.png (96 KB, 519x370)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>1384388
I really, really, really hope this is just ironic. Because it's written in such manner I'm not 100% certain if it's just a joke or you are for real.
>>
>>1384390
really? you don't get that it's clearly not sincere? do you have trouble telling people apart, too?
>>
>>1384397
Ever heard about Poe's Law? Because it's on full swing here.
>>
>>1384412
yes i have, and it doesn't apply here because it's very VERY clear he was being sarcastic.
>>
>>1384181

(((israeli battle dressings)))
>>
>>1384165
A "home" "medical" kit is an extended first aid kit. If you are at home, you can phone 911, so sometimes first aid isn't even required for those few minutes until the EMT arrives at your door.

My kit:
gloves
scissors
tweezers
alcohol wipes
2"x2" and 5"x5" gauze pads
1 elastic adhesive bandage
1 clear tape (the brown one irritates my skin)
waterproof band-aid (different sizes)
emergency eye wash for chemicals (there's one for physical injuries, I'd advise against it)

+aspirin, benadryl, liquid active charcoal, imodium instant etc.

No tourniquet!

It's a good idea to retake FA classes every couple years, because the opinion about some methods can change. When I took my first FA class 18 years ago, I was told to apply compression to the armpit for a bleeding arm, or the groin for a bleeding leg, to pinch those arteries, reducing blood flow. Today it's not advised and they tell you to just simply raise the bleeding area above the heart after applying a pressure bandage.
>>
I keep laxatives/stool softeners and anti-diarrhea pills in my hiking kit along with the other stuff.

A healthy shit makes for a happy shit.
>>
>>1384181
"Chest needle"
Lol no. Not until you've had ample training on how to use it. Misusing a decompression needle is a fine way to accidentally kill your buddies
>>
>>1384423
>liquid active charcoal
>liquid
Why? Pills are so much better and resistant.
>>
>>1384434
>pills are so much better
Are you seriously this inept when it comes to biology? Liquids are absorbed way faster and active charcoal is used to treat poisoning, so the faster it works the better your chances.
>resistant
And why the hell would you need your liquid container to be more "resistant" in a friggin home kit?! Are you playing soccer with your FA kit in your living room?!
>>
>>1384435
Anon, I'm a pharmacist. You are NOT absorbing active coal. It's about the CARBON absorbing toxins from your digestive track. By making it a pill, it's relatively highly concentrated due to slow digestion, while having a liquid means you have it all over your intensiles.
Then there is the resistance of SUSPENSION (and pill), rather than container for it. In this case we aren't even talking about a solution, but simple suspension, which will quickly destabilise, making it harder to administrate and leaving at least part of the dose in the vial if poorly applied.
And then comes the fact that unlike liquids, pills of active carbon can be stored indefinitely, as long as leaf containing pills isn't pierced. Liquid will either use stabiliser to slow sedimentation or preservant. Both eventually wear out and are no longer safe to administrate.
But since you brought it, then how about storage? We have a leaf full of pills that takes no space against a bottle. Or vials. Both take more space and both are useless the moment they get broken, leaking all over.

In other words: it's very nice you don't even know how the fuck active carbon even works and what it's suppose to do, but still yap around.
>>
>>1384455
My first language isn't english, hell it's not even my second. I don't use all the right terms, but I know for a fact that a liquid is always better, otherwise why the fuck would they make it a liquid the first place? I know how fucking carbon works, I have it in my fish tank and the gravel layer of my terrariums.

Your nitpick about the terminology doesn't change the fact that it works better, and shelf life doesn't even factor into that.
>>
>>1384165

remember that major injuries are not treatable by yourself.
remember that prevention is the best /out/ essential, having said that, a generic list is:

adhesive bandages
Dressings
bandages, non sterile
butterfly straps (works as basic stitching)
antiseptic spray or wipes (use after washing)
hemostatic powder
sterile gloves
lighter (useful for sanitizing iron)
alcohol
emergency blanket
cotton swabs
safety pins
aspirin
benadryl (if you need an epipen you're fucked anyway)
paracetamol
any NSAID or corticoid, check for allergies
antidiarrheal
antihistamine
antiseptic ointment
hydrocortisone cream
any antiseptic fluid, avoid hydrogen peroxide if possible
oral wide spectrum antibiotics
chemical tablets to purify water
vitamin tablets
>>
>>1384459
>why the fuck would they make it a liquid the first place?

So it can be pumped down the throat of someone who is otherwise unable to swallow because poisoning/overdose.
>>
>>1384165
ONLY GET STUFF IN YOUR KIT YOU 110% KNOW HOW TO USE!

Get a few First aid/CPR classes under your belt and it probably wouldnt hurt to watch a dozen or two videos on YouTube of each XYZ item you wish to have in your kit to help get to know how to use them.
>>
File: 042331704033.jpg (216 KB, 1000x791)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
picture releated is my pack. used it for the first because i cut myself while i was cutting sausages. mora so sharp.
>>
>>1384165
Training, loads of it.
>>
>>1384459
>Be absolutely and completely wrong
>S-stop n-itpicking
Stop being a moron
>>
File: 2018-10-24 10.55.36.jpg (1.16 MB, 2103x1368)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
I got tired of dragging along a big kit full of stuff I'll never use.

So I made this tiny set based on my own needs coming from own experience.

Let's facet it, it's mostly splinters, small cuts...
>tweezers, sticking plaster, needle, tiny antiseptic swabs, scissors
..slightly bigger cuts
>tiny sterile compress & tape
...occasional dirt in the eye.
>eye drops don't ever rub your eyes with dirty hands
...The Shits, headache & sore throat
>Loperamide, Ibuprofen, Strepsils

The small candy box is my EDC that I always have with me.

On longer trips I also take a small army field dressing in case something bigger than a small cut happens. Only had to use it once when I had a huge cut on my thigh.

Also Sudocrem for when some private parts get sore from long walks, exposure to elements & hygiene problems.
And Octenisept or tiny glass of ethyl alcohol.
I wish Octenisept/ethyl alcohol ware also sold in tiny bottles size of eye-drops. Even the small bottle is too big for me.

Off course, on longer trips, I always have tiny nivea cream can, rescue blanket & bug spray.
>>
File: 2018-10-24 11.00.56.jpg (1.92 MB, 2560x1920)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
Here is all of it out.
>>
>>1384459

>>1384455
This anon is correct. That's why they make meds in pills now.
They used to be in powder form, long time ago. In my country, all drugs are still called "powders" "i need powdeers for X or Y" - remenant from the old times, like, before WW1 or earlier.
Drugs in powder form absorb very fast, but also get, em... dismteled? By the body very fast, while in pill form they are being distributed steady through prolonged period of time. It's like a quick spike of 'high" when having a shot of vodka, versus a slow, horizontal line of chill when drinking beers instead.
>t.family of doctors, but it's just basic school knowledge
>>
>>1384165
buy a standard vehicle fak they are cheap and cover the essentials.
>>
>>1384165
If you've got a major puncture wound that won't stop bleeding; cocaine will work way better than any alternative. Just apply it to the wound and it stops the bleeding.
>>
>>1384165
One that hasn't a swiss cross but a red cross on it
>>
>>1385515
Good kit anon, but I would recommend adding a compression bandage for more serious injuries. Could also save you in the event of a snake bite.
>>
>>1385595
Yea those are especially good for ankle / wrist injuries. I might add one for longer trips. Only 1 venomous snake where I live, and that's quite rare, lucky me.
>>
File: 188934462322.jpg (371 KB, 518x509)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
this is how I cutted myself. it feld like a girl would bite me. first i was flames. but then..
>>
>>1384496
I'm Swiss, why do you motherfuckers abuse my flag? We reversed the colours for a reason. What gives?
>>
>>1385626
>this is how I cutted myself. it feld like a girl would bite me. first i was flames. but then..
Are you mentally deficient?

>cutted
>feld
>inability to capitalise anything
>..

You can't go 3 words without making a child's mistake. What the FUCK is wrong with you?

I fear to imagine what you look like.
>>
File: IO.jpg (41 KB, 800x248)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1384270
Needle Ds are piss easy to use
Now an IO needle is scary
>>
>>1385778
Why do you care? Your red cross will soon be changed to green moon anyway. Get back to swimming in jewish gold.
>>1385779
He's joking dude, take that dragon dildo out of your ass.
>>
>>1385893
In a clinical environment I expect a needle D is pretty simple, but when you're having to rip off body armor and 3 layers of clothing while some goatfucker's still kinda trying to shoot at you from that rock he's hiding behind 1000m away and somebody you know and at least don't hate is laying there trying to scream with a 4" long chunk of vehicle sticking out of his ribs, it's pretty fucking intense.

I will, quite fortunately, never have to administer an IO. And with any luck, if I ever need to be the recipient of one I won't be conscious for it.
>>
>>1385779
KEK :^)
>>
File: 1.jpg (10 KB, 228x221)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1385778
>I'm Swiss,
but a very stupid one. the orignal red cross was funded by switzerland.
>>
>>1386704
I am corpsman and I have done that, it is piss easy like 2nd nature
>I will, quite fortunately, never have to administer an IO. And with any luck, if I ever need to be the recipient of one I won't be conscious for it.
I share this feeling, but also want to know how it feels out of morbid curiosity
>>
>>1386989
*was
also
>>1386704
>1000m
Come on man, those shits couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 100m
>>
>>1386722
>Posts baka image
>While being baka gaijin
Which part of "red cross" you don't understand to claim that white cross on red surrounding is ok?
>>
File: 20181028_170645.jpg (1.74 MB, 2592x1944)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
Most injuries you get are going to be small and annoying. I've found storebought first aid kits to lack items of convenience like the double ended pick at the bottom of this photo.

Way better for digging out a splinter or clearing oyster shell out of a fairly deep laceration than a sewing needle. You don't want to be frustrated while digging stuff out of a wound.
>>
>>1384165
My kit is WAY overboard, because my stepfather was an EMT and he built it for me based on all of the most common /out/ injuries he's responded to over the years, but for at home kits you really should be able to get by with just a really good assortment of various Band-Aids, definitely not neglecting butterfly closures as they can really help keep small but deep wounds closed until you can get them sutured properly. On top of that, several sterile gauze pads, gauze rolls, medical tape, exam gloves, alcohol prep pads, aspirin and non-aspirin OTC painkillers, and a basic first aid booklet. Maybe some topical antibiotic ointments.

Basically look around your house, think of all the shit you do on a daily basis, then imagine the absolute worst that you could realistically injure yourself, and all of the most common yet minor ways you could injure yourself. Now plan for them, buying the bulk of the supplies intended for the smaller common stuff, but still having enough to treat the big cataclysmic (yet realistic) shit that could happen but make sure that the small stuff won't deplete your supplies for the big stuff.
>>
File: gygyigy.jpg (189 KB, 1000x791)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
bump
>>
>>1387530
>Maybe some topical antibiotic ointments.
Don't.
Seriously, don't. Unless you plan to go /out/ for weeks and know what you are doing, having random antibiotic ointment(s) is going to cause more problems than solve, up to the point it can make your infection worse. Besides, you pretty much can't get anything useful without prescription, so you are going to carry an anti-acne ointment with yourself anyway.
Peroxide solution or gel in most scenarios is all you really need. In scenarios it's not enough, you need medical attention pronto anyway.

t. pharmacist
>>
>>1384181
The average anon can't use an NCD, anon.
>>
>>1389244
>Don't.
>Seriously, don't. Unless you plan to go /out/ for weeks and know what you are doing, having random antibiotic ointment(s) is going to cause more problems than solve, up to the point it can make your infection worse. Besides, you pretty much can't get anything useful without prescription, so you are going to carry an anti-acne ointment with yourself anyway.
>Peroxide solution or gel in most scenarios is all you really need. In scenarios it's not enough, you need medical attention pronto anyway.
>t. pharmacist

lol wut. Is this post a joke? Some bacitracin or neosporin are fine. Both cover a broad spectrum of bacteria. I put bacitracin on literally every wound or laceration I repair/close at my ER.
>>
>>1386990
>sand people cant aim

everyone gets lucky and bullets dont care about your level of training.
>>
>>1384272
>You will never use nearly anything that’s in a medkit - gloves, battle dressings, tourniquet - it’s all useless nonsense that you’ll never use, or you won’t know how to use properly.

>yes silly plebs, how dare you fools think you would know how to use a pair of gloves or tighten a bandage with a stick!

get over yourself, cunt
>>
What the fuck are some of these lists, you are going camping, fishing and hiking. Not to fucking war.

Anything else than some basic medicine, gauze, bandages, band-aids, steri-strips, disinfectant, gloves, tweezer and a mirror is overkill...
>>
File: juice.jpg (88 KB, 677x995)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1384181
>israeli battle dressings
fucking tacticool mall ninja
>>
>>1392272
How is that even mall ninja? It's a pressure bandage that can double as a TQ if needed, is extremelly effective and cheap.
>>
>>1392332
Not the anon you are replying to, but it's the fact he explicitly mentions israeli ones. Meaning he's one of those tacticool morons who pick their gear based on how "badass" the army using them is percieved as. So a South African backpack, Israeli battle dressings, Australian canteen and so on and forth.
>>
File: christ anon.jpg (128 KB, 500x500)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>1392366
basically everything with
>tacticall
>battle
>israelli
>high edge
>robust
>high end
in their name are just tacticool memes that should be purged
>>
>>1392332
This: >>1392366

I carry battle dressing as well, ( >>1385517 ) and use lot's of milsurp shit, but that guy sounds like some prepper retard.

>>1387520
>90% of injuries are small
I agree. I might try this double-ended pick, sounds like a good idea.
>>
>>1393230
what about an Israeli salad with high end ingredients and robust flavors?
>>
>>1393245
Israel's were the ones who invented the compress bandage, so they're well in their right to put their name in it. Again, it's an item that works well, if a name stop you from using it, you're just retarded as shit.
>>
File: 1446488989040.jpg (37 KB, 640x480)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1393410
>implying one of the most common medical items was invented by jews after 1948
Compress bandage was invented long, long before state of Israel was ever created, you lying kikesucker 9000.
>>
>>1392366
They're literally just cheap and proven pressure bandages
I love that you're calling him out on 'muh jewish bandage' and not 'a fucking NCD'
>>
File: 1507748810170.jpg (31 KB, 413x525)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1391872
>bullets dont care about your level of training.
Dumbest thing Ive read on this site in a while
>>
1. Comprehensive first aid course, and refreshers every couple of years
2. Intentions form before you leave

A first aid kit should be tailored to your environment. For example, I live in southern New Zealand, so I don't need to deal with snake bites or ticks. But a general list would include
>elastic bandages
>wound dressing pads
>good bandaids
>blister treatment (blister pads or tape, whatever works for you the best)
>reflective blanket
>anti inflammatory painkillers like ibuprofen, and maybe some anti inflammatory cream as well
>iodine cream
>tweezers and scissors or shears

The most common outdoor medical events are hypothermia, breaks, sprains, cuts, burns and head injuries.
>Hypothermia
is dealt with mainly by knowledge and being prepared with enough clothes, food and shelter. The emergency blanket helps prevent it when it is likely to happen as a result of another injury.
>Breaks
in the leg or ankle are ideally dealt with by getting rescue, but if that's not possible then you can use sticks or part of your gear from your pack to immobilise it and help them move to safety (which is really a last resort). A break like that is really a job for a PLB. Breaks in the upper body are also best dealt with by getting rescue, but moving the person is much more feasible.
>sprains
We're really talking about your lower limbs, sprains can range from being so bad that you treat them as seriously as a breakage i.e. first option is rescue and move them if you can to shelter. Lesser sprains are dealt with by using cooling at first, compression, and anti inflammatory medication as necessary.
>cuts
Need to be dressed and covered, and cleaned only if necessary. If it's really bad and you can't control bleeding, get help ASAP.
>burns
will either be bad enough that you can't put burn creams on them, or mild enough that they're just annoying. Large burns you treat as normal and consider getting help, small burns you bandaid and swear about.
>>
File: 1541024518303.jpg (152 KB, 1500x1900)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>1384165

Extra bandages, extra gauze, extra tape. Coflex is also good, roll gauze is also good. Antiseptic like povidone iodine or chrlorohexidine gluconate are also good. Gloves are a necessity--nitrile if you can. Meds are awesome--ibuprofen and tylenol both, aspirin, antidiarrheals, pepto bismol pills, and maybe some hard candies if you're going out and about with diabetics just in case their blood sugar drops too low. If you know how to use them, triangle bandage with safety pins, splint stuff, and tourniquets. Antibiotic cream is awesome to have. Tweezers for ticks and splinters. If you're going out and about in snake country, a snake bite kit can be handy. Pocket CPR masks with one-way valves can also be handy.
>>
>>1384165
In mine, I have
>bandaids of all sizes
>neosporin
>moleskin
>two ace bandages
>gauze pads
>medical tape
>alcohol wipes
>scissors
>tweezers
>spray bottle of saline
>aspirin
>triangle bandage
>red cross first aid pocket handbook
>>
>>1384180
Rude.
>>
File: Frogposters.gif (898 KB, 487x560)
898 KB
898 KB GIF
>>1393483
Anon, you can buy even cheaper milsurp bandages that aren't branded IDF

>>1393491
>Frog poster
>Can't read
What a surprise
>>
>>1385778
> Implying your flag isn't a green crescent
>>
https://andrewskurka.com/2016/backpacking-first-aid-kit-gear-list-downloadable-checklist/
>>
>>1384165
TALK TO YOUR LOCAL FIRE STATION they'll point you towards the first aid kits paramedics use and first responders.
your welcome.
>>
>>1395498
Most people aren't paramedics, and paramedics are working under different circumstances. You'll take a whole lot of shit you either won't need or aren't qualified to use, even if you're first aid certified. Most first aid requires either no materials or things that can be McGuivered in a pinch.
>>
>>1385515
this guy gets it
>>
>>1389244
>>1391813
Its a bit different to use in the ED as opposed to the woods. I tend to be careful with the neosporin as a neomycin allergies are pretty common and giving someone anaphylaxis in the backcountry would make me feel bad
>>
>>1384165
Bandages
-One 3" wide & one 4" wide roller bandage
-A roll of cloth adhesive tape
-Two 5"x9" sterile dressings
-Two triangular bandages
-Five 3"x3" & 5 4"x4" gauze pads
-25 adhesive bandages of various sizes

Basic Medical Tools
-1st aid instruction booklet
-Two pairs of non-latex gloves
-Cleansing wipes
-Cotton balls & Swabs
-CPR breathing barrier mask
-Hand sanitiser
-Instant cold compress
-Non-mercury oral thermometer
-Small, sharp scissors
-Tweezers
-Zip-close plastic bags

Bonus Tools
-Aluminium finger splint
-Baster
-Duct tape
-Eye protection
-Petroleum jelly
-Prepackaged space blanket
-Safety pins
-Sewing needle

Meds
-Aloe vera gel
-Antacids
-Anti-diarrheal meds
-Antihistamines
-Calamine lotion
-Cold/Cough medicine
-Hydrocortisone cream
-Laxatives
-Pain relievers

Also: family meds
>>
>>1391875
A tourniquet is not a bandage that you tighten with a stick you tard.
>>
>>1384165
Medicine.
>>
>>1384165
Viagra
>>
>>1395498
Why the fuck would I want to drag a paramedic or fireman kit /out/ you dumb cunt.

>>1393678
This guy gets it.
>>
>>1384165
Go to your hardware store or auto store and buy one. They sell premade first aid kits and it's quicker cheaper and easier than manually gathering the shit yourself.
>>
>>1396842
>>1384165

Just make sure you've got one that's geared towards larger wounds, half of the ones sold now are just a couple hundred small bandaids just to dive the item count up with some token larger things thrown in so it seems like it might not be completely useless.

If all a wound needs is a bandaid you'd probably be able to make it back to your larger home or vehicle kit just fine so don't carry a ton of them, if your /out/ somewhere you'll want a kit that's geared towards stopping significant bleeding and dealing with blisters or other foot issues, some basic painkillers and loperamide are also useful to have on hand since it acts as both an anti-diarrheal and an appetite suppressant which is a lifesaver when you've had some bad water and have to avoid shitting yourself to death during the 20 mile hike back to civilization.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.