[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: thFCOCGF2R.jpg (107 KB, 1000x1100)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
purifying water is a meme, yes? I've been drinking from tons of streams, creeks and lakes and never had a problem. I don't carry water anywhere there's freshwater available outside.
>>
>>1389726
Nah you dont want to get gardia homie get one of those Walmart filter bottles at least it just takes bad luck
>>
>>1389726
you'll get that gardia parasite anon. I got it once and was shitting my guts out. had to go to the doctor
>>
>>1389726
All the water I drink at home comes from some unfiltered source.
>>
>>1389726
you are either satatistically impropably lucky or lying.

if you are drinking from open sources of water, you should filter
>>
>>1389732
>>1389733
Probably a valid concern but it seems to be relatively uncommon in my state, at least according to this chart.
>>
>>1389739
used to filter but recently I realized that humanity didn't have water filtration for centuries so it's not like the water is going to kill me. I live in the mountains of west virginia, it's all fresh rainwater, there's not much industry or development here to pollute anything
>>
>>1389742
> Lives in West Virginia mountains

> Doesn't afraid of bad spirits or miasma in water

Do u play a banjo and have cross eyes?
>>
>>1389742
>>
>>1389742
Humanity had parasites and bacterial infection for hundreds of years and those can arise in rainwater streams
Be careful please
>>
>>1389742
>I realized that humanity didn't have water filtration for centuries
and we died by the millions because of it
please, please dont fall for the "old and """natural"""" therefore its good for you" falacy
>>
>>1389750
>>1389755
I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
So many NPCs in this thread, goddamn senpai.
>>
>>1389726

no it is not a meme.
pump filters are somewhat a good idea
chemical sanitation is still vastly superior, as long as the water is clear.
>>
>>1389726
There was a fresh water spring on a road along a river with higher country back behind and above the spring. Everyone around there drank that water but one year a woman drank some and lost part of her stomach and all the problems associated with that.
Filer your water.
>>
>>1389726
faggot horses shit in the streams. i dont wanna drink that

>>1389742
enjoy your heavy metal poisoning from mining operatons
>>
>>1389726
Nice bait
>>
>>1389740
I live in Indiana fuck yeah
>>
>>1389726
Absolutely a meme.
Only filter if it is obviously disgusting water.
Otherwise in the High Sierra where I go out I have never filtered except Yosemite— a giant poop.
>>
>>1389740
Giardia is nothing. Don't want any of that Naegleria eating your brain
>>
Generally the rule is to filter if too many humans are around or it looks visibly shitty.
>>
File: file.png (1.54 MB, 728x971)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>1389726
>purifying water is a meme, yes?
Yeah purifying every source you drink from is kinda silly unless all the water around you is shit. I live in BC and all my /out/ is in the mountains so i have absolutely no worries about water quality and i'll just drink straight from any stream/tarn that isn't clearly miscoloured or stagnant and i've never had any problems.

I carry aquatabs for when i'm forced to refill at shitty sources but i rarely use them
>>
>>1389976
Anon I can’t find good source for Bc trails. It doesn’t show up on my REI hiking app. Any tips?
>>
File: file.png (1.73 MB, 1295x971)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB PNG
>>1389981
Where are you? If you're in the lower mainland i can suggest a ton of worthwhile

Also try the following for trails:
alltrails (most of the trails on the website are the more highly trafficked trails, but you can find some more obscure ones there sometimes)
clubtread (http://www.clubtread.com/Routes/ByRegion.aspxRegion22.html?Region=2)
105 hikes in and around southwest british columbia
Also the hiking facebook group for my city (Chilliwack) is actually suprisingly good and i often hear about new trails through them, maybe your city's group is okay too
>>
>>1389726
Beaver fever fucking sucks.
>>
>>1389916
Filtering doesn't remove chemical contamination.
>>
Atleast boil it or bleach it or iodine it god damn.
>>
i hitchhike and use my water filter like 7 times a year.its nice to be able to filter cow water
>>
Can I get buy just using a few drops of Lugols iodine?
>>
>>1390302

Why would you filter milk?
>>
>>1389987
Different anon here. I'm in the lower mainland. I hiked up to Elfin Lake last year. Know any good multi-day treks near the LM?
>>
File: file.png (1.28 MB, 1850x536)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
>>1390338
I mostly do dayhikes and one nighters, but I know some multi-day treks or day hikes that could easily be extended into multiday treks

Some good multidays on the Island are:
>Juan de Fuca trail (47k along the west coast of Vancouver Island)
>West Coast Trail (Like the Juan de Fuca but harder, longer and less crowded)
>Cape Scott (You can do the North Coast trail here or just camp on some of the beaches)

On the mainland I have quite a few recommendations:
>"Manning Tour" (4 days)
Starting in the Skagit valley you can take the beautiful Skyline II trail to Mowich camp on day one, then day two you can go from Mowich to lightning lake along Skyline II and I and hitchhike your way up to the trailhead for the Heather meadows trail and camp at Buckhorn camp, day three you go from Buckhorn to Kicking Horse or Nicoman lake camp along the Heather meadow trail and on the last day you can exit through hope pass. I did part of this hike this year but unfortunately could not complete the whole thing because the Skagit valley was closed
>Stein Traverse (5ish days?)
Google this one, halfway anywhere has a good guide to it, I haven't done it but I plan to
>Pierce lake & MacFarlane (1 night, two if you want to kick back at camp and enjoy the lake)
Take the trail up to the Lower Pierce lake in the just off Chilliwack Lake Road, it's 6km to the lake but you'll gain about 1000m on the way there. You can set camp around where a waterfall feeds into the lake. After that you can ditch the heavy packs and head up to Upper Pierce lake and Mount Macfarlane, the Upper lake will ice on the surface until mid/late July but if you're there later in the year you could consider camping there so you can see the Sunset over the valley. From the upper lake you can work your way up the ridge to mount Macfarlane where you'll be treated you an incrediable view of Mt Slesse, The lakes below you, mt Macfarlane, Shuksan, the backside of the cheam range and much more. It's incredible
>>
File: file.png (1.95 MB, 1295x971)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB PNG
>>1390411
>cont
>Anywhere in Manning park really
I personally suggest Frosty, Heather trail or Skyline if you're just going out for a single day
>Knight/Baby Munday-ish area
There are no designated campsites here and the hike is a killer but it's absolutely incrediable up there. You access it just up Airplane Creek rd in the Chilliack river valley, if you don't have a good 4x4 you can just park 4k from the trailhead and walk the extra distance. You'll go through an overgrown trail then climb a steep as fuck 50% grade slope for ~1000m before you finally reach the alpine but once you're there it's incredible. You'll be in a wide area on the backside of Knight and Baby Munday with no real established trails, there's a small lake up between Baby Munday and The Still you could maybe camp at and a couple of streams you can get water from. From there you can set up your tent as base camp and just wander around the alpine bagging some peaks as you go. I've only ever done this as a dayhike but i really hope to get to it as an overnight hike. It's a very hard hike though and you should know what you're doing or be with someone who knows what they're doing if you want to do this.
pic related: view from the top of Knight looking East
>Williamson lake
A very lightly trafficked trail to a small lake hidden in a little bowl behind Foley. I think you might be able to scramble up Welch peak from here, but i'm not certain on that
>Thurston mtn
Took my friend on his first time hiking camping here in may this year. It's a steep trail for newbies but the view in incredible. Go when there's some snow patches still though as there's no water up in the alpine
>Statlu lake
Small lake just North of Ross lake, beautiful reflections of the mountains in it, and you can continue ontu brotherhood/upper statlu lake from there as well
>>
File: file.png (1.42 MB, 1295x971)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>1390415
>HBC Trail
This trail goes from just East of Hope all the way through the alpine to Tulameen. Great trail, i'd suggest starting at Jacobson lake trailhead and going East for as long as you like, it's a beautiful trail and it's not heavily trafficked either
>Yellow Aster Butte + Tomyhoi
This hike is in the Mt Baker national forest in America just a few kilometers south of the border, the YAB trail is incredibly crowded late in the year, however the trail onto Tomyhoi is much much less so. You can camp down in a small valley between Tomyhoi and YAB that's absolutely filled with small Tarns (and other campers if you go in september or on a weekend). The trail onto Tomyhoi ends in a scramble and if you want to reach the true summit of Tomyhoi you'll need to do some glaciar traversal and have some scrambling skill. Picture is from one of Tomyhoi's false summits looking North towards the border peaks and Cheam range
>Radium lake + Mt Webb etc
Hike an established trail 10k up to Radium lake, scramble onto mt Webb and maybe even Macdonald, Lindeman and the Hanging lakes if you're confident
>>
>>1389964
I think we're just unranked. I've never drunk from unfiltered sources, but I've always been curious. Should I risk it for science? Take a draught from McCormick's Creek maybe?
>>
>>1389742
>but recently I realized that humanity didn't have water filtration for centuries
Look up the mortality rates in those centuries.
>>
File: youthanized.jpg (193 KB, 1440x1291)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>1390411
>>1390415
>>1390417
God bless you anon. Will definitely be checking some of these out.
>>
>>1389740
That's merely 1 disease you can get from drinking stream water. Just 1 anon.

https://globalhydration.com/waterborne-disease/common-waterborne-disease-bacteria-viruses-cysts/

>>1389742
You get all of the Ohio river's factory/power plant pollution according to wind maps. Enjoy.
>>
>>1389742
The runoff water from high up and the water from springs are good, but I won't drink from the Monongahela. I also avoid stagnant pools.
>>
File: LSP-STEEL.jpg (9 KB, 500x500)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
related question: HOW do you filter your water?

should I just boil it, let it cool then drink it?

should I buy one of these $80 life straws?
>>
>>1389726
I live in SC and one of my neighbors’ dogs was just diagnosed with gardia. I wouldn’t fuck around with it.
>>
>>1389976
>Diseased deer pissing upstream of me.
> Drink water
>shit for days.
>Die from dehydration.
Stupid shit.
>>
>>1389726
yeah, it's a complete meme, malaria is a false flag operation.
>>
File: DSCF4020.jpg (2.2 MB, 3488x2616)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
>>1389726
Yeah dude, the water's fine don't worry about it.
>>
>>1390597
yeah a similar thing happened near me, some kid got diagnosed with ligma
>>
>>1389742
You sound like one of those retards that bottles and sells 'raw' water.
>>
I have only been /out/ 2 times, I don't know much about drinkable water sources but just boil it. I mean you have all the time in the world out there.
also this guy makes it pretty clear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJLs8sosy0E
>>
>>1389726
I'm gonna laugh my fucking ass off when you die of dehydration because you get giardia or cryptosporidium and have sudden, crippling, explosive diarrhea and constantly spray any fluids you take in all over the place from your asshole.
>>
>>1389742
Humanity also developed a resistance to some waterborne pathogens that we don't have now. Most modern humans don't have those resistances anymore unless they live in an area where they're raised on water with pathogens. For example: if you went to Mexico and drank unfiltered water, you'd be pissing out of your ass. entereotoxigenic e.coli will fuck your shit up... Literally. There's a term called "traveler's dysentery" for a reason m8. We're a lot more delicate when it comes to that stuff than our ancestors were. I mean, they used to eat bacteria laden uncooked meat too.
>>
>>1389742
Speaking as a person who contracted e-coli this summer from a contaminated water source, I can confidently say that you are a colossal fucking idiot. It's not worth the risk, get a filter.
>>
>>1390541
if you're going to get a filter don't get a lifestraw, get a sawyer squeeze or something

>>1390628
yeah i'll take my chances lol you keep on being terrified of fucking water
>>
>>1390628
>>1390659
Daily reminder that “sickness from dirty water” is a Jew trick to keep white people away from the outdoorsZ
>>
File: DSCF3999.jpg (2.18 MB, 3488x2616)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
>>1390742
Drink up bro, it looks clean to me!
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 576x324)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1389740
>Living in one of the 7 most pozzed states out of 50
>>
File: 1332853942355.jpg (26 KB, 219x222)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1390311
>>
>>1391014
Why are you asking 4chan you fucking idiot, disregard any advice you hear on this website and fucking google it instead
>>
>>1390312
Water means pee
>>
File: 5f0c3e22.jpg (11 KB, 261x191)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1389742
>I realized that humanity didn't have water filtration for centuries so
they died out of cholera on regular basis.

When was the last time you've heard about cholera epidemy? That's right. Filter your water, you absolute nigger. Not to mention heavy metal poisoning and herbicide/pesticide/fertilizer run-off water, things that people in the past also didn't have to bother with.
>>
>>1390024
Depends on filter, you dipshit. Currently pretty much all commercial filters MUST remove chemicals if they are to be sold.
Or you think filtering means using a piece of raw cloth to remove dirt?
>>
>>1390769
I drink from crystal clear cold mountain springs and creeks.
And that water seems clean aside from some mud.
>>
>>1391307
If you want to take your lifestraw and drink out of nuclear fuel ponds then don't let me stop you.
>>
>>1391314
>thinks he can see pathogens with his naked eye
are you actually retarded?
>>
We always have these retards saying the same shit.

My dad got giardia that was asymptomatic until suddenly it was a problem for years.

Enjoy crypto and all the other shit you'll get, retard.
>>
>>1389726
You don't want to get giardia or other parasites. If you're in a very remote place, don't worry. But if there are people using the water often, please don't.
>>
>>1389740
Why is NH so low but Maine an Vermont are black? Odd
>>
>>1391640
>enjoy crypto
????
>>
>>1389748
>>1389747
Please stop bullying west virginia anons.
>>
Does anyone know if there's any truth to the myth that if you get giardia, you'll be resistant or even immune to it? I got it pretty bad a year ago, but didn't get treatment because according to the internet symptoms would only last for 4 months or so. It actually was more like 9 months. So am I resistant now, or was that horrible ordeal all for nothing?
>>
>>1391608
Are you questioning the eyes my lord gave me city slicker
>>
>>1389742
>humanity didn't have water filtration for centuries
humanity used to die like flies because they drank contaminated water.
>>
>>1391307
You're fucking retarded. Like literally potato tier, giant thumb looking genuine retard. Filters can only filter out matter larger than the holes in the filter material. This means the majority of commercially available filters will get rid of 99.9% of bacteria, protozoa, etc but most of them do NOT filter out chemicals, metals or minerals. Want to test the theory? The chemicals present in most sodas that are responsible for flavoring the soda are smaller than a single micron, so you can pour a soda through a filter or suck it through a lifestraw and guess what? It's going to be clear, flat, slightly weaker tasting soda. It doesn't become water because a lot of the CHEMICALS in the soda are too small. Some brewers use some of the smallest sterile filters when racking their beer/mead/wine because it's faster than siphoning and speeds up the time in which their brew gains clarity and doesn't look cloudy from the yeast. If filters were to filter out ALL chemicals, then all they'd have in the end is water, which is not the case. I think it's lazy and does weaken the flavor a little so I let time clear my brew, but it's still some pretty solid proof that you're fucking wrong.
>>
>>1390541
Buy a pump filter. They are less than $100
>>
Where I hike it's commonly safe to drink water straight from streams/lakes (northern Sweden) but I still carry a small filter and purify water every evening if I do a multiday hike just to be sure, getting sick in the middle of a hike sucks.
>>
What is going on in this thread?

Water filtration depending where you are is sensible or vital.

Filtration tablets or iodine is so light that excluding it even on short local trips wouldn't make sense.

I've got parasites in India, awful poisoning in heaps of countries
I lost weight had no energy, struggled on treks with diorhea
>>
>>1389964
Just because they didn't send in a report doesn't meant that no cases occurred. Texas didn't bother sending in reports either.
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 435x564)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>1391814
Cryptosporidium
>>
>>1390541
I pump filter and then boil in a canteen or smaller stock pot if I brought one, depending on what kind of /out/ shit I'm doing
>>
>>1393487
Thanks for bringing this 4 day old thread back to life cunt.
>>
>>1393529
theres nothing wrong with that
>>
>>1389742
>humanity didn't have water filtration for centuries so it's not like the water is going to kill me.
ayyyyyyy lmao. here is your (you)
>>
Well you don't always have the luxury of drinking from a spring or a pristine creek.
Sometimes you gotta get a sip from a standing pool of brown water.
>>
>>1390628
>Die from dehydration.
This is where your position becomes a meme.
Drinking from a stream probably won't make you sick, and if it does we have hospitals that know how to treat this.
I filter my water everytime, but even I can see you're just fearmongering.
>>
Chance of getting something that’ll fuck you up is pretty slim and deer or whatever pissing in the water is gross and all but filtered piss water is still piss water. I’d filter anyway just to stay safe and comfy not shitting your guts out innawoods thus ruining your trip but y’all sound pretty girly and limp wristed like the type of fags who use hand sanitizer after touching a door knob or actually wash their hands after taking a piss.
>>
>>1394426
Anon, not everyone goes /out/ to places where you can go to hispital in less than a hour.
>>
>>1389726
I went 30 days in the Wind Rives without purifying, but I probably should have. If I had gone 2 more months, I prolly would have gotten gardia :(
>>
>>1391965
you seem knowledgeable about brewing anon can you share more cool information or recommend somewhere to learn
>>
>>1389976
god I love the northwest :_^)
>>
>>1394418
>t. an ecoli colony
Shouldn't you be off mitosing somewhere?
>>
>>1394583
That's some fast acting dehydration. Under an hour and you're done for
>>
>>1389726

Better safe than sorry.
>>
>>1390427
They were preddy gud when you leave out child mortalities
>>
>>1390024
All but chinese activated carbon filters remove some organic compounds.
But its not the chemicals you need to worry all that much about, its the bugs. Nasty critters in water, if you can't filter it boil it.
>>
>>1391938
No the smarter humans boiled and cooked everything they eat.
It wasn't until the french chiefs started to introduce uncooked salads as a meal that that was ever even considered as food.
Most cooks who's lives depended on not getting people sick sold cooked food.
Most of food illness today involves uncooked food.
>>
>>1394426
A gut full of worms is not what i would call a good time.
But some people can't learn without getting bit.
I hope for your sake, it only takes one bad experience to learn you.
>>
>>1397177
I still don’t understand how uncooked salads are a thing. It seems like they’d fall out of favor considering how many reports of contamination come out and how difficult they are to truly wash thoroughly.
>>
>>1389742

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.