[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Hi /out/,

I will buy a new car soon. I really like the look of the classic Uaz 4x4 van.

I am in Europe so I can easily get a new one in Poland etc...

But I wonder if it’s the right car for me.

I am willing to learn mechanics to take care of it myself when needed.

But I also intend to use it as my daily car.

Anyone have experience with that type of car?

Thank you
>>
Eastern yuropoor here. Growing up in the ninties my dad had one. Basically as all soviet cars its a piece of shit. Yes, it can be driven daily, just as a lada or a ural bike, but expect to be working on it a lot. Especially if you buy it new as a first owner you will need to rebuild at least half of it in the first years to make it semi-reliable.

The problem with soviet bullshit cars is that - design is simple, yes. But the parts and the build quality of everything is just terrible.

I am 100% serious when I say this: if you buy it new - check if the engine has oil in it before you drive it. Yes. That happens.
>>
Find a VW bus. There’s tons of support and parts.

Or if your heart is really set on the Uaz look into engine swaps and put a decent engine and driveline in it.
>>
Thanks for your help guys but I am not discouraged to buying one ! It’s the same with Lada Niva ?
>>
File: 11636518_0_b.jpg (245 KB, 1024x768)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>
>>1392232
also gas. The UAZ van is usually really really thirsty and when you live in say germany it is just not worth it. not sure if vw is better with its consumption but i see old caravelles driving around everywhere in my city.
>>
>>1392232
They are shit
You probably have fallen for the Soviet made=simple and reliable meme, but they're simple and unreliable instead
It's not worth all the time and effort, soviet/russian cars just drain you of happiness and energy like the country itself, there are better alternatives in the west
>>
>>1392232
>>
>>1392241
>Find a VW bus.
Probably the better solution for 4x4. But thei're expensive as hell.

Got a Renault Trafic that I'm converting. I belive it is enough to get up on most mountain-Roads.
>>
>>1392232
Get a lada niva instead.
>>
>>1392232
What >>1392241 said. Also UAZ's chug gas like crazy, even if you manage to save something up on the purchase and spare parts it will probably go into gas tank
>>
>>1392309
No way, I've not seen one of these in years.
>>
>>1392232
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6svzFhN4ng
Check this video and think again. Uaz was new from factory or just few months used ant look at it
>>
>>1392232
It eats a lot, but it is superior in the countryside. Do not think there is any luxury features in it.
>>
>>1392241
>Find a VW bus.
>>1392284
>also gas. The UAZ van is usually really really thirsty and when you live in say germany it is just not worth it. not sure if vw is better with its consumption
The VW's tend to get quite good gas mileage, not really that much worse than a normal car (thanks, Evil Diesel), but they are insanely overpriced, especially used, thanks to the
>every /out/hippy/mountain/surfer/alt dude/girl needs one
meme here in europe. Yes, they are good and are worth a good price, but currently, it's just crazy. If it's only the UAZ having shit gas mileage, you can probably buy a lot of fuel (even in Germany) and still stay cheaper than the VW Bus (that is ignoring maintenance, don't know much about that).
Personally, I also want an UAZ, but I probably won't get one. >>1392283 or anything else that's not a VW is probably the most sensible option.
>>
Russians put diesel engines in them for better economy and reliability. Imported Japanese engines 1.5TD or 2.0TD from Toyota usually.
It would not be difficult to make a flange for the gearbox to the Toyota engine, but probably better to make a custom driveshaft and use a Toyota gearbox with 5 speed. Since Toyota also make Hiace and Liteace mid engine vans, it might be an option.
But it does not have to e Toyota of course.

My opinion, is that a modified UAZ, with lots of money accounted for maintenance is still cheaper than a 1980's VW, and much more capable off road. Also way cooler.

But if you want best reliability, and easy to find parts everywhere, and fix yourself go for Ford Transit 1992-1999.
>>
>>1392232
Can you not buy toyota?
>>
>>1392232
Those are overpriced garbage and prices of spare parts are insane.
>t.eastern-slav friends tried to encourage me to buy one (because hurr durr soviet supreme tech doesn't break and shit). After some reaserch on the matter, I spat on them. Also, they break quite a lot
>>
>>1392232 (OP)
>>1392940

Right, or a Nissan Frontier/Xterra
>>
posting best outmobile
>>
>>1392232
>new one in Poland
So basically you're some clueless kid and you're wasting everyones time with your nonsense.
>t.polishfag
>>
File: delica.png (79 KB, 300x168)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
>>1393516
or this
>>
>>1393540
Poland doesn't have to meet EU standards. They get a special exemption.
>>
>>1393547
WHY ARE THEY NEVER IN MANUAL
>>
>>1393565
Because they were comfy luxury vehicles and the owners could afford an extra option like Auto.
>>
>>1393555
Its not true. Wish it was, though.
>>
File: volvo_sugga.jpg (16 KB, 350x240)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1392309
on a Dodge chassis with a Cummins diesel
>>
>>1396378
Ugly tires. It would look nice with some buckshot grip spurs.
>>
>>1394412
Auto sucks though. In all aspects.
>>
>>1396522
In Europe and Japan, Auto was a luxury.
>>
>>1396525
Great way to piss money down the drain I guess.
>>
>>1396522
How so? It seems better in all aspects except fuel efficiency. It's not like you need to perfectly time your shifts for maximum speed in a minivan or anything.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.