[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: PicsArt_11-08-05.24.41.jpg (64 KB, 1080x1185)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
Are Barebones products any good? Specifically their knives/axes and cookware.
www.barebonesliving.com
>>
File: Pruner_Splash_2560w.jpg (712 KB, 2560x1889)
712 KB
712 KB JPG
>>1393358
From what I see of some products, they are sensible and durable. And, it is expensive, but in this case it seems to be worth it. I'm looking at the metal stuff. Knives I'm not looking at and can't say anything about those without using them. I want the pulaski axe and pruners.
>>
>>1393358
>>1393370
holy fucking shit, could you at least TRY to make your shilling a little subtle, you incredible faggot. this is just insulting.
>>
>>1393390
I've never heard of them before this thread. They are too expensive for me. I get my stuff from second hand, thrift, and antique stores that are made similarly, but a lot cheaper. For knives, I just make my own.
>>
>>1393413
you are a fucking liar, and your damage control is shit. fuck off.
>>
No choil? No, thanks
>>
What kind of hipster bullshit is this? Took a look around their catalogue and it's waxed canvas, walnut handles, and faux-50's aesthetic everywhere. A few outtakes:

>The Homemade Gin Kit contains everything you need to transform a generic bottle of vodka into a unique and delicious home-blend of your very own gin.
>Inspired by vintage orchard design, the Gathering Bag offers versatility in use, wearing, emptying and care.
>Inspired by a traditional Japanese implement and constructed with heritage-quality materials, our Japanese Nata Tool unites versatile function and refined durability.

And one of the user reviews of the last one:
>Love the way it looks. I bought this for the beauty of it and I am happy with my decision. I do plan to use it.
>I bought this for the beauty of it
>I do plan to use it.

It all reminds me of the people who organised this little trip: https://vimeo.com/55420992
>>
>>1393512
Buying things purely for looks isnt a sin.
>>
>>1393390
Honest to God i wasn't shilling, I was asking a genuine question. I saw a guy at work using the field knife and wondered if they were quality. >>1393370 isnt me.
>>
>>1393512
Yeah, but those old "looks" happen to be better designed than the newer plastic stuff. Which is why I buy nearly all my stuff from antique stores and second hand. Some of it is "broken" in so much as I need to oil them up to free them up or replace a wooden handle or file down some mushrooming on a hammer face or whatever. All of it looks good, functions very well, and has been around for 3-4 generations. I'd like more companies making items like that so I can get other stuff that I can't find now or costs $1k or more because of rare antique status.

>>1393566
It looks okay since it is full tang, but I'm not a fan of "painted" blades. I also don't personally like that raised area where the ricasso is. Stuff like that sometimes cause stress points that can lead to a blade breaking. I also don't like jimping for the same reason plus I've never in my life needed jimping. It isn't like I'm using the knife while my hands are covered in motor oil. Jimping just makes my skin blister if I'm working with a knife all day long and I'm not wearing gloves.

>>1393420
*poke*
>>
>>1393569
Thanks for the actually helpful post. I might check out my local antique store before I buy new.
>>
>>1393370

Looks like a Corona pruner. Drop forged high carbon steel for $20.
>>
>>1393613
$27.55 from Corona's website. $28 from the OP website.
>>
you're fucking retarded if you think its a good idea to buy a new axe (unless its from those great swede metalsmiths like wetterlings)

You buy a rusty old antique axe online, you restore it with a vinegar bath, a file and a sharpening stone if it's for felling. You carve your own handle, and you set it yourself, its incredibly easy and a lot of fun, and you get something in your kit that is just as old as you are, that has lived a life before you've held it, that's had blood of men and trees stained into its metal.
>>
>>1393644
This. I dont even understand the whole Fiskars or Gerber or whatever meme. Axes, big or small, are bought at garage sales or auctions or at the county fair, you then restore it and have an axe that will eventually be sold by your grandchildren and the whole cycle starts anew.
>>
>>1393644
>>1393732
>if you don't have the same hobbies as me you're stupid
i'm happy that all that makes you happy, but it seems like a nightmarish bore to me. i hate tool maintenance and i hate woodworking.
>>
>>1393569
There's classic, quality tools like my Gransfors or good quality stuff you may find at a garage sale. And then there is the stuff that has an oldtimey feel but lacks the quality. The side posted by OP absolutely reeks of the latter. It's a website selling hipster toys, not serious tools that will get passed down for generations.
>>
File: 1437075850634.gif (993 KB, 250x250)
993 KB
993 KB GIF
>>1393805
>>if you don't have the same hobbies as me you're stupid
keked hard
>>
>>1393358
I can't find what kind of steel it's made of. If they aren't willing to advertise it it's probably shit.
>>
>>1393644
Council tool makes decent stuff for the price which will be good enough for 90% if hipster lumberjacks. Plus the axe head market isn't what it used to be.
>>
>>1393805
>i'm happy that all that makes you happy, but it seems like a nightmarish bore to me. i hate tool maintenance and i hate woodworking.
You asked for advice, you received advice. /out/ isnt your echo chamber.
>>
>>1394104
i didn't ask for shit, dumbfuck. and honestly, your "advice" is garbage.
>spend $30 and 5 minutes at home depot to get a tool that will last decades
or
>spend hundreds of dollars on crafting tools and days making a tool that will be shit and either break or be so uncomfortable you have to make a new one, and then a new one, and then a new one, until you finally have the skill to make one serviceable, but still not as good as the one you could have just bought 4 months ago.
so, like i said, i'm happy that you have a hobby you like, but it's not a practical solution for most people who just want a tool.
>>
>>1393358
The handle looks ass thicc. Maybe it's just the angle.
>>
Onions latte of tools
>>
Looks like gayboy gear fag knives. If you’re going to dis out that kind of money for a knife get a damn benchmade north fork or some shit.
>>
If you're gonna buy into muh heritage lumbersexual meme, at least buy the real shit, not a Chinese-made imitation. Or instead, start by looking for the tools with the best durability and performance, then choose the most attractive option at the end, rather than approaching it ass backwards as you seem to've done.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.