[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 20170417_145509.jpg (2.02 MB, 2560x1440)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
God I love the Pacific Northwest
>>
>>995205
What part did you get to?

Here's my latest /out/ing in northern Washington.
>>
>>995224
Just some woods right outside Portland
>>
>>995224
orcas island?
>>
oh yes I too love forests covered by miles and miles of thorn bushes
>>
Some day you can upgrade to miles and miles of treeless cactus thorns.
>>
Thank God it belongs to the whites.
The northwest front will become an ethnostate check it.
>>
>>995517
Lily Lake up by Bellingham.

Did 3 nights with a buddy. It was beautiful, but reminded me of why it's always worth getting to the harder to reach places. We shared 2 of the 3 nights with other campers, amd had more day hikers than I care for.

But it was a great, easy hike in, and was no trouble with our 45lb packs. Had to do a winter load out, because it dropped below freezing every night.
>>
>>996073
White black hispanic asian, whatever I don't care. I just want the fuckheads to stay in the cities and leave nature alone
>>
File: 20170411_161433.jpg (1.93 MB, 2560x1440)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>995205
Nice. Looks better than the Atlantic northeast
>>
File: 20170331_090728.jpg (3.11 MB, 2448x2448)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>995205
One of my creeks outside of portland
>>
I would slit my wrists with all the gray weather.
I gotta have my southwest desert or I go nuts in winter .
I dont mind cold but I cant do gray
>>
File: ecoregionmap.gif (19 KB, 399x385)
19 KB
19 KB GIF
>>995205
I grew up hating Minnesota, but after getting way more into /out/ing, I've grown to love it and I can't imagine willingly leaving the state to live elsewhere. The ecological diversity is fantastic here. I'm partial to the south-east driftless area, which unfortunately there isn't much in our state, but a quick jot over to Wisconsin takes care of that. I try not to stay in Wisconsin too much though.
>>
>>996081
that's gorgeous, holy fuck. did a day hike with my ex (before she was my ex) nye morning on orcas island and it was amazing. Snowed during the trip so we couldn't catch the summit view but it was still incredible. The lake looked similar is why i asked. Your view there is spectacular.

I'd love to do a bikepacking trip from Seattle to Mexico, I feel it would be life changing.
>>
>>996135
>I dont mind cold but I cant do gray.

October to mid may is a long stretch for no sun.
Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real thing
>>
>>996143
Luke your comma splices are showing.
>>
>>996169
i know, but it's something, which i really must conquer.
>>
File: IMG_0103.jpg (90 KB, 880x580)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>996073
Take your racist crap back to /pol/.
>>
>>995205
I'm jealous. I moved from Washington State to the southeastern part of England eight years ago and have been depressed ever since. It's like an outdoorsman police state here. You have to go to Scotland in order to find anywhere to do real out stuff. I used to fly fish every weekend but that stopped because of the costs. You have to pay exorbitant fees to access the water and the affordable areas are trout farm lakes. Hunting anything but pigeons with air rifles is also heavily restricted. Even day hikes are a struggle as the trails (if you can call them that) are full of tennis shoe hikers. You feel like a Motard in normal kit. What ever you do don't leave America. You'll regret it.
>>
>>996093
Black guy from the ghetto in Brooklyn that now lives in CA and would make Muir proud with the amount of time I spend in the mountains.

As a rule, you don't really get the worst of ANY race deep in the woods. When you add in altitude, I defy you to find shitty exemplars of any ethnicity above 10,000'. It's too far off the beaten path, and requires a certain mindset to find yourself with crampons struggling your way to a summit in the dead of winter with a 50 lb pack for hours on end. Just my two cents...
>>
>>996187
Go meme somewhere else.
>>
>>996135
I left sunny SoCal for the opposite reason, perennially 70 and sunny with no seasons can also fuck with your head. I'm in Norcal, but will eventually make my way up to PNW or Vancouver
>>
>>996453
same anon you responded to .
I did five years straight in LA, my body craved winter but one winter felt like enough for another five years.
>>
>>996456
I did 6 years in LA before moving north, ironically you have WAY more options for good mountains there than the Bay. I've hiked Mt Wilson a few hundred times, Baldy at least 3 dozen, San Gorginio, Cactus to Clouds on San Jacinto, you name it I've done it. Here in the bay it's a 4 hour drive minimum for a true wilderness experience.

Did you ever think that maybe all the Socal time has eroded some of your winter toughness, that it might come back after a few winters? I took a trip to Reno recently to climb Mt Rose in winter, and the first gust of 50mph wind in 20 degree weather felt like a white walker grabbed me. But, I've also experienced the Summit of Mt Whitney in well below 0 degrees at midnight with no problems (besides altitude sickness) a few years back. Just hoping I'm not winter soft forever
>>
>>996199
tfw you hiked the entire jmt in tennis shoes and then some guy comes in talking shit about them

as long as the tread is good tennis shoes are fine for hiking
fite me
>>
>>996479
Personally I got too used to those three dry hot winters in a row down here in portland.
First real winter we got and I was just done with snow and rain.
>>
>>996479
>winter toughness
I can hack 20 below zero F with no trouble.
5 rainy days in a row kills me.
I can do winter in colorado just fine , its the PNW I cant take.
>>
File: IMG_0105.jpg (67 KB, 450x319)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>996533
These are the people I'm talking about. This is Snowdon and last time I was there I was packed. Even saw a woman walking in heels.
>>
>>996452
go be racist elsewhere
>>
File: 20170419_152831.jpg (2.15 MB, 2560x1440)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>
>>996081
I love that hike, Im hoping to camp there soon. When it's dryer I want to try camping in that circle of stones not far from the path.
Also wanna try Pine lake's little island site.
>>
>>996453
I tried to like CA. The sunny weather is a meme, I found it just as depressing.
>>
>>996073
Have ever been to Seattle, Portland OR Vancouver?
>>
I don't care about the gray but the rain has been a bummer this year. I usually spend a lot of time in winter and spring biking the closed mountain roads and backpacking in the ONP river valleys but this year I've just been inside the whole time.
>>
File: 1484152435082.jpg (67 KB, 668x712)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>996857
Vancouver wa is overrun by gooks
>>
File: IMG_0106.jpg (704 KB, 628x314)
704 KB
704 KB JPG
>>996947
The master race. Yeah right. Go bungee without the bungee loser.
>>
>>996199

Yep, welcome to the UK, pretty much anywhere in the south is shit for /out/, even the lakes/peaks are getting crowded, gotta go for the black mountains, brecon or scotland now if you want a slightly better experience desu

I've been thinking about moving to the US/Canada, I'm a med student so shouldn't be too hard, just thinking about states for /out/ and /k/- I quite like the look of Maine, or PNW or northern Idaho
>>
>>996955
I'm not a white supremacist. I don't think whites are better than others I just want live with only white people. Kinda like how Japanese, Koreans, Jews(Israel) kind of like sticking with their own. It's not racism or bigotry it's just a preference. It's natural. Everyone is happier that way.
>>
>>996965
You will never regret it anon. Your accent alone will make your life so much better here
>>
Just got back to Kentucky after spending 2 years in Oregon/Washington doing forestry work.

Good fucking God am I glad to be back home.

Never could I live in a place where if you leave a foot print off trail you're paranoid you'll go to prison for 10 years for hurting some endangered dirt or some other retarded shit like that.

Leave the west uninhabited. Shouldnt have people there at all.

Also the retarded ass degenerates that fill the place, you don't feel like you could trust a single stranger EVER.

I'll take my southern hospitality and fields I'm allowed to go mudding in any god damned day of the week over a law filled pansy land.
>>
>>995205
Idaho here.
South west to be specific.
High desert a shit.
Idaho a shit.
Cant even find a camping spot without going HOURS outside of town.
Cant ride my motorcycle off road most places anymore.
Camping spots closer to town charge $20 per night per tent and are 10ft from the noisy highway.

It's California tier bullshit here
>>
>>997156
>you don't feel like you could trust a single stranger EVER
This.
So muh this.
Ive even pulled over to help a person more than once and have been told to fuck off.
One was upside down in a ditch. I got him out of the car and he told me to fuck off cuz he thought i called the cops.
Which i didnt because he was conscious and not bleeding.
>>
>>997163
I'm this guy
>>997156
When I was driving back to the real america(the south) I went through Idaho, beautiful country, especially the area that connects into Utah I thought was great. Beautiful view everywhere.

But yeah, the problem with the west is unless you somehow enjoy driving 3 hours to things you're stuck in the little town you've decided to live in, and that's gay as fuck, and on top of that anything you could imagine as "fun" is fuckin illegal
>>
>>997163
>Cant ride my motorcycle off road most places anymore.

That is expecting far too much.
Those dirt bikes cause all sorts of erosion and noise problems.
There soon will be very few non private places to take those.
Same as snow machines. They really cause problems with wildlife
>>
>>997171
Bullshit hippie.
>>
Hopefully the rain keeps more people from moving here, and they don't hear about how dry it is over on the east side.

Granted, Bend and Spokane have their own issues and you're going to have a hard time finding work in any of the smaller cities, but living on in the eastern foothills of the Cascades is great.

Go west for mountains, snow, rain, foliage, trails, etc. Go east for sagebrush, canyons, and space.

>>997163
>paying to camp
Something like 60% your state is public land. I've spent weeks camping in Idaho without paying a penny except for 1 night in Craters of the Moon. I could have camped outside for free, but I like to support national parks/monuments.

If you live way down in the southwest near Dickshooter then you can just go to Nevada where essentially everything is owned by the BLM.
>>
>>997171
Gtfo dirty hippy if you feel that way then dont fuckin live there to begin with
>>
I live in MN and grew up here like this anon >>996143
I do love it here now that I can really appreciate /out/ but I do get the itching feeling of wanting to expand.

Between lets say the Maine-ish area and the Washington-Oregon ish area, what is the comfiest in terms of /out/? What will be worth moving to eventually if I want to traverse the deep lands of these states?
>>
>>997156
i'm glad a moron like you left
>>
>>997156
Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog. Law don't go around here. Savvy?
>>
>>997213
Dont live where exactly?
Its not ok to dirt bike in any wilderness
>>
>>996573
>wah wah racist
Reddit needs to leave
>>
>>997180
ever noticed how washed out jeep and mx trails are? it takes years for those places to recover.
>>
>>997354
>trail already exists
>stay on trail
Especially blm trails, animal single track, logging trails, and forest service trails.
Its not difficult.
It doesnt hurt anything.
If its washed out, its more fun.
>>
>>997344
this.

4chan is a conservative board.
>>
>>997369
>If its washed out, its more fun
washed out means damaged earth
>>
File: IMG_0109.jpg (285 KB, 1920x1080)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
>>997344
>>
>>997409
Kys hippie
>>
The PacNW is the sadest place ever. All that top tier /out/ but in all most every direction you get freaks, hipsters, Asians, far left libs, vegans, Mexicans, blacks, etc.
It's a depressing waste of God's country.
>>
>>996124
Lolno

Maine is the best /out/ state east of the Mississippi. In Canada Newfoundland and the Maritimes are just about as good as it gets anywhere on earth (unless you're into high paying jobs and sobriety)
>>
File: IMG_0181.jpg (1.03 MB, 3264x2448)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
I've lived in the Pacific Northwest (British Columbia) I've lived in the prairies near the Rockies(Alberta) I've lived in the Great Lakes region (Niagara Ontario) and also have lived in the Caribbean for 7 years.

I honestly prefer the Great Lakes too PNW due to the hotter climate in the summer, and decidicious trees.
>>
>>997414
Wow. Really fires the neurons.
>>
Liberals get out
>>
>>997156
Stop being irresponsible you massive faggot, the consequences of your actions are around for a lot longer than you are and soil loss/degradation is a very serious problem.
I'm in Arkansas and wittness the destruction ignorant assholes like you who think they are entitled to go around doing whatever the fuck they please unwittingly carry out every day.
Ecological illiteracy is the worlds most dangerous social issue
>>
>>997171
>>997180
Not to mention it completely destroys plant/soil communities and isn't even fucking fun for anyone who isnt a sociopath that is informed enough to understand what they are doing.
If you try to act like a 70 year old asshole and call me a hippie I swear to shit, it shouldn't be everyone else's problem that you know next to nothing about the life you think is fine to destory.
>>
>>997488
Point to the liberals my simple friend
>>
>>997492
>>997494
Kys.
You're insane
>>
>>997497
No you're ignorant.
Off-roading rips up soil and plant communities fracturing ecological networks and hydrological flows, it is a very serious issue with complex consequences
>>
>>997499
Prove it.
Prove that me riding on a road that already exists is damaging plants that dont exist on the road and how me rolling over dirt is hurting the planet.

Please mr. Scientist. Explain it.
Especially since i dont here you complaining about the roads, equipment, construction, and structures it takes for you to use the internet.

Go on then. Explain it.
>>
>>997501
Weren't you talking about mudding
>can't ride my motorcycle off-road
>off road
Anyways unless you are using a dirt bike trail then no, it will wear down the trail and the compacted/disturbed soil will erode the trail when rain washes down it, this has downstream effects and degrades landscape connectivity, the amount of moisture held in the forest, and the watershed. And fucking the trail up ruins everyone else's good time.
Regardless the problems caused by off trail riding are more serious
>>
>>997503
Two different people.
The issues you're describing are ridiculously insignificant compared to housing being built or roads being laid or excavation, etc etc.
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>997508
I agree, but I'm not talking about those issues now am I retard?
Something being worse doesn't make it any better
>>
>>997512
Then stop using the internet, recycle everything you own. Then kys.
Your possession are hurting the planet. Your existence is hurting the planet.
The device youre using right now is hurting the planet. The electricity your using is hurting the planet. You consuming oxygen is hurting the plant.

So you better just kys. So you can stop hurting the planet.

>retard
>Cant even explain why moving dirt hurts anything
Seriously. Leave and never come back.
>>
>>997515
Again irrelevant, are you six? That's when i was contemplating questions like those. Just fuck off if you have nothing relevant to say about my argument.
>can't even understand why moving soil hurts the soil and the things connected to it.
Ftfy
>>
>>997518
You're floundering and have zero argument.
All the things i listed are more significant than moving dirt. Yet you won't give them up.
You're a hypocrite and have a mental illness.
Pathetic excuse for a human being.
>>
>>997519
>all the things I listed
You mean your 7 strawman arguments that state obvious facts as if I haven't been aware of them for most of my life? Shit I do what I can to be as ethical as possible with my actions, but I don't need to defend myself. As this argument as nothing to do with what I do, it has to do with wether or not it's okay to ride dirt bikes off trail, and it's not okay, you have formed no relevant argument. It's like talking to an 80 year old pump hand with you.
>>
>>997531
See
>>997369
Never said off trail.
>relevent comparison is strawman
>i do what i can to be ethical
>i complain about dirt, but wont give up things that have FAR more invironmental impact
You suddenly changed the argument to suit your needs.
I'm done with you.
Hypocrite, spineless, mentally ill, pathetic pile of shit.
You should be ashamed to be alive.
>>
>>997542
>you suddenly changed the argument
>suddenly changes the argument the blames it on me
You havin a joke?
Reguardless you have no I idea what I do and it doesn't matter what I do because this is about driving dirt bikes off road and not my personal life.
Last response, nothin personal kid
>>
>>997369
>>997542
That post has nothing to do with these posts that you replied to. Don't blame me for being to retarded to know what you were responding too
>>997492
>>997494
>>
>>997551
The very first hippie post here
>>997171
Was directed at me.
Fuck off hypocrite
>>
>>997264
>>997300
>>997337
>>997492
>>997494
>>997499
>>997503
Pussies attempting to cope with being cucked into not being able to do anything but walk on the dotted fucking line
>>
>>997565
>can't ride my motorcycle off road
>off road
>>
>>997766
I go off trail all the time because I'm a field biologist. It's not hard to minimize trampling, that is impossible to do with a atv. And anyone riding an ATV off road doesn't deserve the privilege of wilderness and should be shipped off to suburbia
>>
>>997839
You moron. It's a human bias. Not an Earth bias. The Earth gives no fuck what it looks like. Humans project their egos and decide what's clean or dirty or aesthetically appealling. If it's so damn important make it completely uninhabitited. Stop pretending there is any such thing as a middle ground or a balance. There isn't.
>>
<be me, make offhand comment on how offroading is bad
<anons argue and get angry all night long

Stay classy /out/
>>
>>996081
Lmao I live in Bellingham, Lily lake is only 5.5miles round trip, and Oyster Dome is FULL of hikers. I'd recommend you go east to get away from population centers, not sure how you did three nights on that highway.
>>
>>997766
the cucked one can't go out in the woods without a gokart
>>
File: image.jpg (204 KB, 800x600)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>997853
>earth bias
Where did you get this from?
What? it has nothing to do with aesthetic it has to do with functioning ecological systems, which are not a human abstraction. People are not the only life on earth and we do not exist alone. It's just basic respect and common sense not to degrade the world that gives you everything
>>
>>997837
>he doesnt know what off road means
Jesus... i thought you had to be 18 to post here
>>
>>997908
>cant
Let the lad do what he wants

>>997936
Humans attach all of the values you are speaking of. They are not there to begin with. That is the bias. The earth has no concept of ecology. It's just a rock, and humans being on it is not required bud.
>>
>>997963
>all of the values
Huh?
I thought I was talking about facts, like degradation happens when you drive ATVs on top of ecological communities and trash soil structure and the watershed. And the consequential ethical postion that such actions should be avoided if you value a habitable planet and complex life on earth. If you don't hold those values that's up to you but it would be justice for you to be punished for your selfishness by those that do.
>the earth has no concept of ecology
Earth doesn't need to conceptualize ecology, it has ecology.
*Some(not you) Humans have a concept of ecology, humans are a part of the earth, the earth has a concept of ecology
>they are not there to being with.
wew
>just a rock
>just a rock
depressing to see someone be this illiterate
Really driving the point that you have no significant understanding of the world around you home.
>>
File: _20150927_110658.jpg (252 KB, 841x1002)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>>997974
>>
>>997974
Are you the same anon who was complaining about the effects of squirrel hunting on an ecosystem? The earth is a big and complex place, it is in no way permanently or seriously degraded by human activity like sustainable hunting or offroading in an ATV. Don't mistake having an impact with having a negative impact.
There's nothing wrong with taking an environmentally responsible stance, but you're so far off the rails I don't even know what to call it except some form of mental illness. You are clearly out of touch with reality and have championed your cause past the point of sanity.
>>
>>997974
I can't help that you don't have the ability to grasp that humans apply their own egoistic ideals to Earth, plants, and animals.

Do you talk to your pets? Do you really think you're grasping their opinions?

You aren't.

You simply are just dumb, and I'm actually amused you would call me dumb when the clear burden of understanding basic axioms is on you.
>>
>>996857
>Have ever been to Seattle, Portland OR Vancouver?

yeah. portland is white as fuck still compared to the rest of the country.
>>
>>998080
Yes however they are flawed in a very odd way. They hate being white. It's shameful to be white.

Of course this is because the PNW is comprised of nearly 100% middle/upper class with the transients from other places being almost all of the poor people.

It is basically a region of homogenous soccer moms. The problem with this is it causes a very warped perception of reality.

An Oregonian has no idea whatsoever that there are parts of America in 3rd world level poverty. They would outright attempt to deny it. It is an enormous bubble. Very much like many European countries.

I could go into much more detail but I can't imagine this is controversial, everybody knows it.
>>
>>998076
Ummmmm.
Wrong, I am very aware of our anthropocentric/anthropomorphic dispositions and am completly lost that you are accusing me of them. I'm a deep ecologist promoting biocentric equalitarianism.
You are claiming that ecology is a human invention?
No, it's as real as the sun or any other physical artifact that we can pragmatically understand with science.
I'm not saying ecosystems don't like what you are doing, I'm saying that harming the ecosystems we are a part of is consequentially against our self-interest. Do you really belive you understand what you are talking about? You don't.
>>
>>998012
No I ate squirrel last Tuesday.
>The earth is a big and complex place, it is in no way permanently or seriously degraded by human activity like sustainable hunting or offroading
That's why we are in the middle of a mass extinction event on the scale of the One the dinosaurs disappeared in:
Habitat fragmentation is a very serious issue espically with radically earth system change and unprecented biodiversty loss, I've personally seen the effects to be had. The in the forest understory plant communities are fucked and soil structure is too, then the disturbed ground washes out with rain slitting streams and lakes, the fragmentation serves as a point of infection for aridification and cascading, landscape level effects. This fracturing of ecological networks also fractures ecological resilience and adaptive capacity which is desperately needed if we expect to survive the anthropocene, but what do I know I'm just some retard that models ecological networks, I don't know about big and complex things.
>>
>>998179
>>998203
Brain
Damage
>>
>>998179
Okay, I'll explain it to you like this.

Atoms and electrons are perpetually finding ways to become more complex in order to be more efficient. They cannot achieve this without life cycles coming to an end.

The more often life cycles end, the .ore complex the atom's organic puppets become, and thusly energy transference becomes more efficient ovet time.

This is the entire goal of the natural laws within the universe. Destroy, and become more complex.

Humans are going completely against the grain on this.

You cannot harm an ecosystem as a dead ecosystem is only definable as dead by humans.

You seriously just cannot think deeply enough. You understandably can't break your human bias.
>>
>>998082
Are you 16? You must be, not everyone lives in your yuppie mom's neighborhood. Go back to plebbit
>>
>>998282
Nope. Lived a long life. Oregon has no clue what real poverty looks like. It really ruins the opinions of the people in the area. I've driven every inch of the state 10 times over, your poorest trailer parks are fancy for southerners.
>>
>>998284
No seriously have you ever left your mom's suburb?
>>
>>998289
My mom lives in rural kentucky

I just moved back to kentucky after 2 years of forestry work in oregon/washington

No i didnt move in with her, but i do plan to buy her a house in the next few years, she has to commute 70 miles to her job being as rural as she is
>>
>>998263
>atoms and electrons
Disreguarded but I read it anyways. Now I really think you are laughin at me because nobody is actually that much of a psued.
>brainlet thinks he understands self-organization of living systems
This makes me laugh, did I mention I'm a theoretical ecologist?
Are you talking about adaptive-renewal cycles? That has nothing to do with this.
After extinction events like this one it takes around 10-25 million years for life to start evolving at the same rate again.
Please stop saying I have a "human biais". You are the anthropocentric one if you think there is a physical separation between humans and the rest of life on earth.
We humans are sentient and it is in our self intrest to continue living on a habitable planet, reguardless of what you think about the existential reality of ecological collapse we need functioning ecosystems to live. This is about humans, which are life's best shot at achieving holistic consciousness.
Wrong about so many things and I'm disheartened to respond. Stop responding
>>
>>998350
>absolutely refuses to admit that ideals are not connected to objective reality in any form whatsoever

You poor poor delusional soul
>>
>>998368
elaborate
>>
>>998382
He can say that all these things negatively effect things

Ultimately humans define the relevance of that effect

Lifeforms are an accidental occurance of a particular pattern, they arent a sacred thing to be preserved, just a side effect of random conditions. Humans have falsely attached religion and ego to these natural forces. There will be phases of much life and phases of no life and any sort of emotion attached to that is a human bias and should not be considered. If anything, our thoughts are also part of these odd reactions and of course they would attempt to dictate a certain level of momentum however this momentum still has no connection to any sort of optimal balance or holy way to live.
>>
>>996947
I'm Korean and live in Vancouver, anon. Wanna chill?
>>
>>995205
It truly is something else over here.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.