[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: canon200d.jpg (181 KB, 970x728)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
I don't see some (updated) wiki anywhere, so I'll ask.

What do you think are the best entry-level cameras today? Have things changed in recent months? Is pic related now a better choice for Canon than 700D/750D?

Would you, as a beginner, choose some more popular brand like Canon and Nikon, or would you go with something else?

What about mirrorless cameras, what are good choices in the price range of 200D? A6000 still relevant?
>>
I don't what what price is on the edge of beginner or entry level. But I always recommend the 70D.

Cheap enough to buy if you've worked a day in your life, good enough that you're not just better off shooting with a phone and decent enough that you can buy some lenses and expand from there.
>>
How are nikon and canon cameras different, that are the tradeoffs of choosing one over the other?
>>
>>3135472
>entry-level camera
is not really a very specific category, do you want a decent point and shoot, do you need a dslr to impress your models or want to get a mirrorless? what are you planning to do with it?
>>
>>3135502
Just want to start taking pictures. Not really sure what the difference between a DSLR and mirrorless is. Would a point and shoot be better? What advantages would a DSLR have over it?
>>
>>3135502
I want a proper camera with manual controls, DSLR or mirrorless (not sure). Those that I mentioned are the ones I'm thinking about buying. I will use it for shooting general stills (nothing specific, I'm a beginner amateur after all), but also for some video hopefully. I also want to use it for photogrammetry.

Mirrorless would be nice especially because of its dimensions, which means I could carry it literally everywhere. 200D on the other hand is new, seems to have good ratings and a lot of features including 60FPS in 1080p, and it is the smallest DSLR from Canon, so I might not need mirrorless in that case.

I'm not sure though if 750D or something in that price range is still a better option.
>>
>>3135508
>dimensions, which means I could carry it literally everywhere.

Where can't you go with a DSLR?
>>
>>3135472
Whats a good camera for max. 500€?
>>
Just get an sl2, its tiny and cheap while still having good image quality
>>
>>3135529
I'd just prefer something which isn't huge because I'm not used to it. E.g. if I just go for a walk in a city, I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a huge camera over my neck or in a bag. I'd prefer something discreet, but that's just a bonus, I don't want to buy a weaker camera just because of that.
>>
>>3135505
then, before asking for specific models, teach yourself online about whats available, what advantages/disadvantages each system has and what suits your needs best. you will end up with 2-4 candidates and can discuss their advantages on /p/ then.
>>3135508
same for you, it will be much more effective to study the properties of mirrorless and dslr first before getting flamed by gearfags on /p/ for thinking of buying an a6000
>>
>>3135616
I know the differences between mirrorless and DSLR, though. Anyway, I might go with 200D then. Is there any reason to still choose 750D instead? If not, then I don't have to think about it anymore.
>>
>>3135472
D3300 + 35mm prime
go shoot
>>
>>3135620
I can never understand people who recommend any d3x00 series garbage for anyone. Yah it's cheap but ffs, save up a few dollars more and get at least a used d7000 (or a successor) so you're not just throwing money away.
>>
>>3135626
D3300 is a great first DSLR. At least you can take photos with it, for cheap, and that's more than enough to get started.
>>
>>3135628
Um, I mentioned that I'd like to shoot some video with it, too. I heard Canons are a bit better in that case, that's why I want to go with Canon. I just can't decide which one. Bonus points for 1080p60, wifi and bluetooth, and a built-in microphone.
>>
>>3135629
Just get an sl2 ffs
>>
>>3135640
I'm sorry I'm the biggest jew in the existence and I'm calculating pros and cons for days in order to get the best for my money. And since SL2 came out recently, I'm just a bit concerned how it compares to Txi lineup.
>>
>>3135642
you could also get a (used) a6000 and adapt some old nikon/canon/minolta/whatever primes for ~30$ and be perfectly set for stills and video.
>>
>>3135618
https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos750d&products=canon_eos200d&sortDir=ascending
Do your homework yong man
>>
>>3135629
Please don't use the built in microphone.
Buy a $2 off camera mic or hold up any decent smartphone to avoid using the built in
>>
What is better - buying a body + default 18-55mm lens, or just a body with some separate lens. What if I want an all-rounder like 18-55m, though? Is the default worth it if there is a better alternative?
>>
>>3135974
Is it worth it or is there a better alternative*
>>
>>3135974
>>3135975
TL:DR buy body and 18-55mm. Find out if you need longer or shorter lens to make you next purchase; which is the purpose of the kit lens.

I'm on the same boat. I think it is better to get the 18-55mm because then you'll know if you need a longer or a shorter lens. In terms of quality you only lose f stops so it will lead to higher iso or slower shutter speed. Sharpness, too, but you have to zoom like 4:1 or 8:1 to really see it. Also, if you are still undecided, I recommend buying used until you know what you need/want. Good luck with your decision.
>>
>>3136104
Adding more... A versatile lens like the 18-55mm will allow you to get the shot instead of missing it or not fitting the frame. For a prime, you'd have to know the distance for your frame like second nature so, I also recommend getting the 18-55mm and shooting at say 18mm all week, 35mm the next, 55mm the week after - to see what prime would fit you best.
>>
>>3136104
>>3136106
Also, also, I suggest you, like I did, watch video samples of your body with the 18-55mm lens to see its reach and also do 70-300mm to see if you like it so you can buy it at once since it'll be cheaper. Remember to get only what you NEED because from experience I always found the things I wanted were just a temporary feeling and those things end up collecting dust and only really use the things I needed. Anyway, watch samples or go to your local electronics store and test out cameras/lenses. Best buy sells dslrs and they have them on display for you to try.
>>
>>3135974

I'd get the 18-135 or even better the 15-85 instead of the 18-55. If you get the 15-85 you will probably only want one other lens, the 40 or 50.

I got the 15-55 with mine but I never use it and I regret not buying the body only.
>>
What's /p/ opinion on fujifilm x-t20 with 18-55mm kit lens for a beginner?

I plan to us it for my traveling (architecture, nature, museums, streets, food, family).
>>
>>3135537
>Huge

You never even saw a dsrl do you?

Mirrorles are tiny. dsrl are ok in size, except for maybe a D5 or equivalent Cannon. Wich are huge.
>>
I would personally advise against a DSLR since it's very likely that you won't take it with you nearly as often due to size and weight, but that's just my personal xp

Borrow one from a friend of yours, use it for a week or so, and then decide, that's what I did and it helped a huge lot

It doesn't matter what it is, that's the point. Learn what it can and can't do, advantages disadvantages, before you start looking for a new one to buy, you'll have a much better idea of what you want
>>
>>3136159
Best choice.
>>
>>3136269
(Other guy)
Didn't even know about xt20, I was instantly amazed by the look of it and those film filters, but when I read about negative things I got spooked away. Fucking hell. Mirrorless cameras are very interesting but I haven't found a good one for the entry level price yet. Always something breaks the deal.
>>
>>3136278

I think Sony makes the best mirrorless camera's. I would choose an a6000, a6300 or a6500 over any other mirrorless camera. The a6000 isn't that expensive anymore. But an entry level dslr is even cheaper. I think the optical viewfinder of a dslr is still superior to an evf. Also, some dslr's have a very long battery life.
>>
>>3136400
>Battery life
Even if battery life was ~300 you would still have to shoot 3 pics a minute for 18 waking hours to exhaust the life of the battery which is ridiculous so, say it was 100 shots per charge then you would shoot a picture every 10 minutes for all waking hours which is still a lot. I think battery life is no issue if you are a casual shooter. Now a pro would know what they need to get the job done. Anything over 300 shots per full charge is sufficient. Don't fall for the meme.
>>
>>3136646

I can shoot around 6 pictures per second For me it's a big selling point and the reason I will keep using dslr's.
>>
>>3136766
burst? Or you mean 6 pics per second very frequently?
>>
I'd like to get in to photography as a hobby so I originally wanted to buy a 80d but doesn't shoot. 4K so I started looking at the Sony a7ii which really catches my eye and they cost about the same. But I started doing some research and a a7iii should be released in a few months, so my question is would either of those be good for beginners? Appreciate the feed back!
>>
Can somebody explain what's up with time limits for video on some cameras? Isn't that, like, a huge problem, although almost nobody is talking about it? What if I want to shoot a performance on a classical concert? Pieces easily last for longer than 10/15 minutes. What if I want to shoot a whole short film in a one take? I know it's not usually a big problem, but it turns shooting things like I mentioned literally impossible.
>>
>>3136974
video cameras are taxed higher than stills cameras

the thirty minute limit means the camera isn't classified as a video camera
>>
>>3135508
Mirrorless and DSLR are just as thick now, their lenses are as long. If you care about size you better get into film rangefinders like Canon Canonet
>>
>>3135531
Secondhand D3400
>>
>>3136974
if you have a Canon, I think magic lantern removes the limit
>>
>>3135472
Pentax K-70 or K-3/3II
>>
>>3136974
for things like concerts, whole sport events or similar stuff, you need to get a camcorder or dedicated video camera, but if you
>want to shoot a whole short film in a one take
you could do it hitchcock style as in rope. unrelated but most short movies shouldnt take over 30min btw.
>>
>>3135974
Nikon 3x00 if you are poor, D5300 if you have a bit more cash. A used D7x00 might be worth considering but apparently they can differ insanely in price between countries. Whatever you do, do not buy the kit lens, if you want a good zoom get the Sigma 17-50 f2.8. if you just want a prime get the 35mm F1.8.
>>
>>3135472
Digital: Canon 40D
Film: Zorki 1c

Spend the rest of the money you saved on books with pictures in them.
>>
Well, /p/, really appreciate the opinions, even though it was not much helpful because literally everyone recommended another camera, hah.
I've tested some mirrorless cameras in a store - I definitely want to go mirrorless. I'm really close to buying XT20 and the only thing that worries me a bit is the grip. It really is small and I'll need to get used to it. Other than that, I like everything about it, it's not even that tiny as I thought. Sooo, only other option would probably be Sony alpha series (6000 or 6300, but the price is a bit too high). It's really tricky now, I wouldn't want to sacrifice everything else for somewhat better grip on Sony, since I can always buy a boost for it. I've heard Sony and Fuji are pretty much the best choices for mirrorless. So idk, maybe some final thoughts on those 2?
>>
Buy a a7 or a6000.
Exchangable lenses.
high quality images.
what you see is what you which is huge for a noob. DSLR what you see in the vf isnt what you get.

DSLR sucks for street photography lugging around a DSLR makes everyone stare at you.
as soon as you bring it up to you eye to frame a shot people stop walking around you or avoid you and it is just off putting for a newb.

DSLR is a must if you want to be a pro and shoot models no one will take you serious with a mirrorless.

GO fuji or sony if you want to actually bring your camera with you.

fuck anyone who says get a m43 camera.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (981 KB, 3264x2448)
981 KB
981 KB JPG
Just unboxed my D3400.

Excitement peaking.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 6
Camera Software10.3.3
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:08:22 13:08:24
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness-2.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: Doge.jpg (1.9 MB, 2916x1944)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>3137015
I just got a D5300 new for $509. It is sort of cumbersome, but not so much that I don't like to bring it around. Got the 18-55mm kit lens and it's pretty comfy. I'm new to this, but I think it takes good pictures of my dogs, lol.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5300
Camera SoftwareLightroom Android 3.0.1
Image Created2017:08:21 16:19:32
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
>>
>>3135486
They have different sensors and different features based on the model you choose.

If you have a friend or family member that has one or the other, just use what they use, because it won't matter much after you learn how to use it yourself.
>>
>>3136766
This is a big point for me, DLSR gets hated on a lot here by filmfags, but I shoot primarily animals and I can blast off 50 pictures in no time flat, then just purge the shit ones off my memory card.
For more slow, methodical pictures I'd probably prefer film for the hobbyist aspect of it, but when I'm trying to catch a perfect image of two elk fighting in the rut, for example, I'd prefer to not hassle with the physical limits of film.
>>
>>3137149
For 509 I would have taken it with the kitlens. Bought the body only for 480 so it is a steal if you got the lens for 30 bucks more.
>>
>>3136984
Thank you
>>
>>3135629
Nikon D5300 would do 1080p60fps, wifi and microphone jack. And microphone manual controls.

Nikon's AF isn't great, tho.
>>
>>3135472
ANY CANON RABAL IS AN EXCELLENT FIRST CAMERA. WHY IS THIS A THREAD?
>>
How much of an issue are mirrorless cameras when it comes to changing settings? I only have experience with digital snapshot cameras that require you to go through digital menus to change anything, which is a hassle. A few of the mirrorless cameras I've looked at don't have any physical buttons for changing something like the ISO quickly.
>>
>>3135486
Further, if you get the same brand as a friend, you will be able to borrow their lenses indefinitely
>>
>>3137302
i own a a6500 with arguably one of the worst menues on earth according to /p/. in full manual mode aperture and shutter are an individual dial, iso is one button push and an individual dial. if you prefer shooting A/S/P or have a manual aperture lens, you can also assign iso to one of the free dials. i have all the high tech options like enabling color peaking, manual zoom assists and image stabilization on a custom button so i never menue dive except for changing the shutter to silent before i go shoot street and suchh things
>>
I'm very new to this as well (just came over here from /wg/ actually). I wanna take half-decent stills of stuff - preferably nature stuff. My budget is $200, and I want a DSLR (for the better image quality). I was thinking about going with the Nikon L340, but you guys obviously know much more about this than I do... thoughts?
>>
>>3137382
you got memed, thats not a dslr. it also has a tiny sensor and no interchangable lense and therefore poor image quality. your budget is very tight, and only allows used entry level dslr. look up what a dslr is for and if you really want/need one.
>>
XF 18-55 lens for Fuji costs almost the same as the XT20 body only WTFFFFFFFFFF

Is this the same for other manufacturers? Why would ANYONE here tell people to buy separate body and lens in that case? Combined with body, those lenses cost only a tiny fraction of their solo price.
>>
>>3137463

>is this the same for other manufacturers

Not not really.

Fuji prices their basic hobbyist APS-C lenses at fullframe professional lens prices.

They do go on sale quite often though.
>>
>>3137463
Yeah it' kind of ridiculous. Best buy it as a kit or used for less than 300. If you compare to other lenses with similar specs, it's not that extreme. Nikon dx 16-80 2.8-4.0 is around 1k.
>>
>>3137463
just buy a used xe2 and adapt old crusty lenses.
lens turbo 2 is optional.
>>
what in the motherfuck is the currency "D"

That being said, buy a cheap mirrorless (like the a5100) and then adapt some nice vintage glass to it (adapter = $15). The price of the glass varies (you can get a nice canon/nikon 50 for $50 easily)

If you can't afford this then just get buy an old, used rx100 point and shoot or some shit because your budget is slim as fuck
>>
>>3137498
Those are names of the models, you dense fuck.

And your reasoning is retarded.
>>
>>3137500
OK, I guess I'm supposed to know the resell value of a camera that is 12 years old - that's a good measure to use for the OP, especially when his "price range" includes a $350 camera (a6000) and one 4-5 times as expensive (750d).
>>
>>3137508
On Amazon, the price difference is $150, sooo... It also depends on a country, e.g. in my case they cost pretty much the same.
>>
>>3137509

I'd stay away from entry/mid Canons and opt for the mirrorless. I don't necesarily want to shill for sony mirrorless (which I own), because olympus also makes great mft ones with IBIS and better weather sealing

If you get the a6k, adapt it to some vintage glass because sony lenses are overpriced for what you get (see the muddy images from the $1k 24-70)
>>
Whats the best cam I can get for about 500€?

Thanks
>>
I bought a nikon d3300 for $280 used, a 35mm f1.8 for $150, and an AF-P 18-55 kit lens for $50
>>
I've seen that Fuji lenses are like $150+ at their cheapest. Are there any cheaper lenses than those? Can some older ones work, or is the only option waiting for some discount?
>>
>>3135481
Theres always a tard in everyone of these threads.
>>3135502
>>3135626
Theres always the PROsumer who cant even relate to beginners because hes SOOOOOOOOO pro.
>>
>>3135472
DSLR'S Whatever you can buy from nikkon or canon, kit lenses are ok.
Mirrorles from any brand arent "there" yet.

Ok so let me explain, dslr's from canon and nikkon will be around from many many years to come, this mean youll have time to outgrow your kitty lens and youll be able to upgrade the glass, THEN down the road youll outgrow your body, youll keep the glass and get a better body.
Nobody on /p has never ever ever outgrown a D3300 or a T6.
Having nice gear is always usefull, but creating and understanding photography takes years and years and its always the subject behind the camera that makes the photo not the camera.

Baby steps.
>>
>>3137758
But what if someone wants a small mirrorless which is easier to bring around and which also means that he will actually use it more often?

Because what's the point of buying DSLR and then not using it as much because you're not used to carrying that shit around. Even if they are not very big and heavy, they are still much bigger than mirrorless cameras.
>>
>>3137761
>a bulky mirrorles
why not a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX220?

Form factor vs laggy "viewfinder" greasy viefinder worthless under the sun viefinder killin the battery viewfinder.
Form factor vs premium price cus muh new gimmyck
Form factor vs cost/benefit

GEEEE IDK why would you go all that trouble?!
Best to leave the phothons capturing to the pros eh?
>>
>>3137758

lol babbies first DSLR will be shit and they won't be able to take any pictures in the streets due to FUCK HUGE body and lens and no confidence. Mirrorless shits all over cheap DSLR's.
>>
File: 15btw.jpg (36 KB, 613x613)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
need a basic af DSLR for photo course around $200. Nikon D3100 seems fine. Just has to have "35mm Digital Single Lens Reflex camera with manual focus lens and exposure capabilities"

the d3100 also has 1080p video at 24 frames which i could get a long run use out of as a film student

if there's something better for that criteria hit me
>>
>>3137382
>My budget is $200
>and I want a DSLR
>>
>>3137805
So posting this is your way to gettin back at life right?
You sure show everyone in this thread what youre all about.
>>
XT2 or A6500?
>>
Friend is selling his Pentax K-S2 with Tamron 17-50/2.8 and Sigma 10-20 non-hsm (whatever that means) lenses for 400€, the only problem is the body is white. Should I be worried it gets dirty easily?
The pricing is only for friends, he will be listing the set for 650€ if no one takes it.
Shall I go for it or leave it? I'm not interested in videos btw.
>>
>>3138271
with the money you save you can buy a rag to clean it
>>
>>3136982
>Mirrorless and DSLR are just as thick now, their lenses are as long.
depends on model and lens

I bought a 35-100mm Lumix today (eqivalent to 70-200mm) and it's only about 100 gram and 5 cm long
>>
>>3137302
depends on model

this is mirrorless

Equipment MakeOLYMPUS CORPORATION
Camera ModelE-M10MarkII
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)70 mm
Image Width4608
Image Height3456
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:09:16 18:26:03
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width3474
Image Height1758
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
>>
>>3138302
Thanks, i'll go for it then. What are some good tripods for long exposure that don't cost an arm and a leg? I prefer used and also are the cheap chinese filters/holder sets worth it or just go full in for a couple of genuine cokin filters?
>>
>>3138379
honestly i use a 12$ amazon tripod and its fine, it should get the job done for long exposure. if you need to do more things with your tripod then start saving up
>>
>>3137758
So posting this is your way to gettin back at life right?
You sure show everyone in this thread what youre all about.
>>
>>3138385
He is right though
>>
>>3135472
Pentax K1000
>>
>>3138617
Do you have a calendar?
And more importantly can you use it?
>>
>>3137106
>buying a DSLR
>2017
>>
>>3138647
come back when it isn't overpriced
>>
>>3138616
>>Buying shit tier DSLR meme
>>Doesn't know

Sure, go waste your money on giant bodies
>>
>>3138647
There's no reason to buy anything else
>>
>>3135472
A used 5D
>>
I am kinda new to /p/. After lurking a few months and reading shit I decided to by a camera ( I am an Arts & Design student). I would need it to shoot decent stills and video with a array of customization . I am kinda spilt between a DSLR and a Mirrorless. I have a CANON EOS 1300D and a
OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10 Mark II. What is your opinion on the matter? Recomendation?
>>
>>3139591
I mean i have in my mind CANON EOS 1300D and a OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10 Mark II
>>
>>3139595
For video go Canon 700d (has Magic lantern) or Panasonic gx85 (native 4k)
>>
You can find k100d with kit lens for under 150 usd and Canon xti, Nikon d70, Sony a200 all with lens and under 200 USD. What do you recommend me, /p/?
>>
>>3139788
M43 all the way
>>
>>3139789
Elaborate...
>>
>>3138647
Cheap DSLRs yes, but I would take a >=0.7x optical viewfinder over every electronic viewfinder (except perhaps the newest one in the Leica that's 4k oled 0.8x magnification. That's just insanely good.)
>>
>>3137805
>and they won't be able to take any pictures in the streets
Because everyone wants to do that, right?
>>
>>3140116
>>pulls out fuck huge DSLR with kit lens out at family event. Get laughed at by iPhone snapshooters. kys
>>
>>3140137
Sounds like your family is a bunch of faggots. Congrats.
>>
>>3139788
Get the Nikon D80 with a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and maybe a tele 70-300 4-5.6 for around 300$

Maybe purchase a tripod and a wide angle lense
>>
>>3140164
1.8d, I suppose, since most DXX have focus motor in body hence no need for it in the lens. Why d80 specifically? I find the d70 to be more popular and easy to buy.
>>
File: _MG_2230.jpg (222 KB, 1000x667)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
How about a used and abused Canon 350D for $15
And the famous nifty 50 for whatever you can grab it but even new is cheap? I have this maybe $60 "setup" for 5 years now and feel zero need to upgrade.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 350D DIGITAL
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1 (Windows)
PhotographerThe Blackmetta Project
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:08:29 09:31:47
Exposure Time1/2500 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: IMG_1283.jpg (523 KB, 1000x596)
523 KB
523 KB JPG
>>3141017
Also have a 5D MK1 but rarely touch it. Its still miles better than a LOT of the new stuff, but rarely use it since its much bigger and heavier than the 350.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Image Created2012:12:06 14:18:06
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1000
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Focal Length135.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height596
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3141017
I used a 350D as a beginner camera. Finding one for 15$ is pretty lucky though, they usually go for 60-70$ here
>>
>>3141034
I said used and abused for good reason. Mine had the focus confirmation dots lit up but dim as a dying firefly, hence $15. Was just some dust covering the light source (I think), because blew some mild (15 psi) compressed air inside the viewfinder some stuff blew out through the lens mount and focus points were bright again. And the battery lasts ages whereas the 5D chews it up within 70 shots.

Point is, if the camera works, it will do you good service for years. Pointless to dump hundreds in new cameras just to find out you dont like photography or you havent got the skill or even a slight sense of direction when it comes to pp. In which case even a 5D Mark 4 wont help a lot.
Of course if you got the cash to dump, go ahead. But if youre looking for best bang for buck, nothing beats ancient generation dslr's like 350D or 5D (both over a decade old). Sensor performance wont degrade with time and the mechanism and electronics are bullet fricking proof, much less fragile than todays cameras.
>>
File: 1.jpg (192 KB, 1000x669)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>3140296
Not that guy, but I had both the D70 and the D80. Even though they both are considered ancient by today's standards, the D80 is much more modern in operation. I had to upgrade from the D70 because it started to corrupt memory cards (cf, instead of sd), and it's not unheard of with that model. So I wouldn't take the risk. D80 is still capable up to iso 1600, pic related.

I'd get the 35/1.8 G DX instead of the 50/1.8, much more usable field of view, and can be had less than $100 used.
>>
>>3135620
35? I thought the 50mm was the perfect one for beginners?
>>
>>3141123
50mm on a crop is quite narrow, more for portraits and isolating subjects. Not as good as 35mm in everyday situations.
>>
>>3141084
He's a cute. Very nice.
>>
>>3141123
>35? I thought the 50mm was the perfect one for beginners?

35mm on crop, 50mm on full frame/film. 50mm is also frequently recommended as a good second lens to buy (after the kit lens) just because it's cheap as hell and works well in low light and is one of the sharpest lenses in any camera company's lineup.
>>
>>3137805
It's the other way around. If you want cheaper and good, then DSLR, if you have bigger pile of money, then do as you please.
>>
>>3141084
Thanks for the advice. I never owned a camera other than the one in my phone so I didn't know about the d70-d80 differences.
>>
>>3137105

I have D5500 with 50 f1.8 and people rarely stare at me also I dress well enough and have decent grooming, Most them don't give a fuck since they are too busy staring at phones
>>
I needed a new hobby and I lucked out and bought a Canon T3i with the 18-55 lens for just $200 at a pawn shop.

Any tips for a beginner? I mainly bought it to take photos of places I go to or to make short films for college.
>>
A6000, buying anything else means you're supporting the cancer that is holding back the camera industry.

You know it is the best camera when the only argument canicucks can bring up is >muh customer service
>>
>>3141525
Just bought the Canon T6 because I wanted to, and seeing this makes me happy inside knowing that you are mad about it.
>>
>>3142508
Kek no, I'm laughing my ass off because you purposely wasted your money on a piece of shit just to spite someone on the internet m8
>>
>>3142725
Nope. Didn't buy it out of spite retard. Bought it because I wanted it, and then I saw your post, and felt even better about it. M8.
>>
>>3137106
How much did you get it for? I'm eyeing one for 320. With kit lens
>>
>>3139591
definitely go for the OM-D, you'll be surprised at how much great ergonomics and small size affect how you take pictures
>>
>>3137106
Good choice, go out and have fun :)
>>
I'm looking at buying my first camera and the Canon EOS 6D is interesting to me because of how good it is for landscape photography, but it's also more than I planned to spend. I would prefer something cheaper, but the entry-level DSLRs I've looked at all seem designed for retards dropping money on a camera they'll never learn to use so they can pretend to be artists on instagram.

I can afford the 6D, but something that works well for landscapes, is passable at other stuff, and is cheaper would be preferred; what other options are there?
>>
>>3144507
Sounds like you're litterally in the same position as those retards you're making fun of
>>
>>3144657
No, see, he wants to drop money on a HIGH END camera he'll never learn to use so he can pretend to be an artist on instagram. Totally different situation.
>>
>>3135472

HOLY FUCKING MOLY!!!!!
First day i have visited /P .....
I thought, hey, id like to start taking pictures with better quality than my mobile....il go on /p see which camera they recommend to noobs. Got no idea WTF dlsr vs mirrorless means....they probably have like 4 or 5 they recommend with different perks and cons....
found a thread already made for noobs....
WHat did i get? fucking cancer....
in a thread of like 100 replies, there are like 50 different cameras with each being seconded no more than once...
>>
>>3145143
People just have different opinions, anon. Don't use this as your only source of information, though. The choice depends on your needs.
>>
figured i'd ask here so I don't make another unnecessary beginner thread:

Which one would be better for video? I plan on shooting music videos, product photos and promo photos with it. Of course I'll use it for personal stuff too which is why i am leaning towards the a6000 for weight, but career stuff first.

I have heard the pros of getting a DSLR are mainly more accessories and lenses. I am new so I dont know how severe this really is.

Also my budget is around 500 - 650 with everything I need, so please dont reply with way more expensive shit. that happened last time i made a thread like this.
>>
>>3135472
a6000
gx85
g85
eos m5
xt20
xe2
em10iii
>>
>>3145535
the sony.
a6000 can get 1080pee 60fps 50Mbit/s.
there is no flat profile, but you can get in portrait colour profile and dial contrast, saturation and sharpness down.
nikon video are junk.

if you're poor the sony is also better.
you can adapt old lenses like minolta md, canon fd.
>>
>>3145535
Not the Nikon. It's an uninteresting choice all around.

But you might consider Panasonic apart from Sony.
>>
>>3145635
panasonic gx85 or g85.
best cheap video.
>>
>>3145535
> Also my budget is around 500 - 650 with everything I need, so please dont reply with way more expensive shit. that happened last time i made a thread like this.
I figure they very much had a point, though.

You want to make professional ("career") music videos, product photos and promo photos, yet aren't willing to spend even to get to basic professional gear?

Well, you can try to make that work, but generally speaking it's a world full of photographers and videographers - standards for what looks good and professional and what doesn't are correspondingly pretty high.

Plus there are more than enough people already that aretaking photos & videos as a hobby...
>>
>>3145633
>>3145635
appreciate the advice. I am pretty poor, so adapting old lenses sounds right up my alley. As for the Panasonic, I was interested in the G7 but it's still kinda out of my price range.

>>3145637
The GX85 looks like it's in my price range, how does it compare to the a6000? Does it also fit older lenses?

>>3145638
I'm not about to get into this on a chinese fingerbox forum, but if you have no experience, having super professional gear will do absolutely nothing for you. As I make more money I'll begin buying better gear. Like I said, I'm new to this, but I know one thing: If you have the talent it takes to make it, you could be working with thrift store gear or the best stuff money can buy, it makes no difference.
>>
>>3145641
gx85 has 4k video. so better than a6000.
you can install cinelike d and get flatter profile.
but for stills, the sony is better because bigger sensor and better auto focus.
gx85 is micro four thirds.
you can get away with it if you shoot product shots.
you can adapt old lenses, but a 50mm will be 100mm.
you might want to get a zhongyi lens turbo 2.
>>
>>3145641
>but if you have no experience, having super professional gear will do absolutely nothing for you.
Yea, it will. For instance, I've let someone's kids use my secondary camera. Sure as fuck they didn't have experience (their mom even told me she basically never let them use a camera) and yet, of course, fancy TTL flash and metering and AF and "fast" glass / good ISO performance letting the camera pick faster shutter speeds when subjects were further back and all that did their job.

Either way, just gear doesn't turn you into a star photographer or run your business, no, but it's simply covering *the basics*. Making you somewhat reliably perform better -and thus useful to hire- than most of the other people present with inferior gear.

Compensating for really, really weak gear with your talent is about as realistic as it always is when machines do most of the job and a lot of people with actual training compete in the same market. Good luck with that, eh.
>>
>>3145651
he has no gear at all.
what a eos c200 will do for him?
probably doesn't know how to use it.
>>
>>3135472
Get something like the Fuji x100(s,t)

Great picture quality, don't have to worry about buying lenses (because you can't lol), forced to learn how to shoot, low investment... if you like it and want to upgrade, then get into a system that serves your wants/needs.

The last thing you want to do is buy into a system that doesn't fit how you want to shoot.
>>
>>3145657
Are the qol and refined features of the 100t worth it over the 100s?
>>
File: 18.07 15_21_59.jpg (617 KB, 2989x1987)
617 KB
617 KB JPG
The best beginner DSLR is an old professional DSLR which forces you to learn the ropes.

I taught myself with a Dynax 7D, which can be had for $150 with the kit lens 2nd hand.

After you've learned the basics, you'll have better knowledge on what you want from your first "capable" camera. Just prepare to be disappointed by the build quality and button arrangements of modern entry- and mid tier cameras.

Equipment MakeKONICA MINOLTA
Camera ModelDYNAX 7D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)42 mm
Image Created2016:08:10 15:51:41
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/6.7
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/6.7
Brightness7.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length28.00 mm
Image Width2989
Image Height1987
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3135529
Some places ( concerts, sports events) will stop you using a DSLR because it looks " professional" regardless if it's a 550d or a 1d.

I would take a look at a second hand Fuji xe1, cheap as shit now, great images, small and looks retro enough to make chicks wet. ( Kinda joking in that last point but it's not entirely untrue)
>>
Nikon D7200 DSLR Camera is what I was considering getting. I mainly want to take photographs of large scale landscapes as well as portrait shots and architecture.

advice???
>>
I'm noob, what beginner camera+lens should i get if i want to take Clear/High quality/Sharp photos?
>>
>>3136974
Plenty of cameras pretty much hit their thermal limit even before that. There is also the market segmentation which is pure jewry for some companies.
>>
File: IMG_5712.jpg (769 KB, 5184x3456)
769 KB
769 KB JPG
I have a rebel t5i, and ive only been into photography for the last ten months. I have the kid 18-55mm lens. 70-300 lens and 50mm 1.8. I have a lot of fun playin with my camera and im just started to get into shooting in manual or av.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T5i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.12 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Image Created2017:09:07 23:26:13
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1250
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: IMG_5762.jpg (659 KB, 5184x3456)
659 KB
659 KB JPG
Here is a shot of my other dog, I recently re edited this photo. I had used gimp before and the colors were funky.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T5i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.12 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Image Created2017:09:07 23:27:23
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
I want to pick up an a6000 for video, what would you guys say are the essentials to buying it?

I could get an amazon bundle, two lens bundle, body only + a lens, 1 lens starter kit. I want to keep it under 600 ideally.
>>
File: $_1.jpg (24 KB, 400x373)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
http://m.ebay.com/itm/401262812976?epid=228169429&hash=item5d6d209f30:g:q84AAOSw241YglGF

This is my current choice for a starter camera. I've taken suggestions from as many active threads on /p/ after a few days lurking and I've decided on this. Would anyone offer any last words? Is this a bad choice?
>>
>>3148000
For the price... It's the best choice! Or a used A6000 which is a bit pricier but smaller maybe lighter.
>>
Hey /p/,

I don't usually post here and it's been years since I actually crossposted instead of just lurked, but I just made some photography mistakes so I'm trying to avoid another one.

Basically I used to own a NEX3 but thought I wanted to be a REAL photographer™ so I sold it and bought a D5300 (I'm not very rich). But after using that for a while I found out that it just wasn't fun for me to use it and the pictures would come out less nice than on my shitty NEX because I didn't want to bother with settings too much, so I sold it at a 50,000 won loss and now I'm thinking of buying the a6000 and just going back to mirrorless because I enjoyed that a lot more.

The actual question is this: on a 600,000 won ($600 equivalent considering American prices) budget, which mirrorless should I go for?
My main considerations are the a6000 and the Olympus M10 II. I like the Olympus' touchscreen, but it's so small it feels uncomfortable in my hand. The a6000 is kinda old though and it feels plastic compare to the M10. Any recommendations? Or models I haven't considered?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2016:05:26 15:32:23
Image Width698
Image Height471
>>
>>3148150

In all honestly, the a6000 is the best camera at that price point. Good sensor, nice interface, lots of lenses. An a6500 would probably be perfect for you, but is out of your price range by a whole lot.

M10 II has a somewhat small sensor. You wont notice it when using it, but you do get better low light performance off of the a6000. I would be hesitant to buy a m43, but then again I adapt all kinds of old film lenses, and the crop factor of m43 makes them hard to use.

You could also take a look at Fuji. They have a whole host of problems, but if you are just going to shoot .jpeg they are the way to go. They have their own mini VSCO-like film filters built in which give some pretty nice results. Not sure if any decent model falls in your price point though.
>>
I'm looking to get a apsc sized sensor camera. What are my cheapest option I can pick?
>>
>>3148177
If possible mirrorless as well.
>>
>>3136159
The camera is pretty good, and the Fuji 18-55 is excellent.

Be warned that Fuji isn't the most beginner-friendly system in the world, though, getting good results out of their cameras requires a decent amount of finesse in shooting and processing. None of it is hard if you're the kind of person who's willing to learn, but you can't expect the camera to do as much of the work for you as other systems do.

>>3137463
Fuji's basic kit lens equivalent of other companies' 18-55s is the XC 16-50. The Fuji 18-55 is a noticeably higher-end lens. (It's better compared to other systems' 24-70 f/4s.)

>>3137493
I wouldn't call them hobbyist lenses, but yeah, they're pricey. It's one of the many reasons I don't recommend Fuji to many people, despite being a Fuji shooter myself.
>>
>>3148000
same sensor as the d7100, just less dials

it's fine.
>>
>>3148183

I tried out Fuji's 18-55 on an XT-2 yesterday at Yodobashi camera and was not impressed.

It was slow as fuck to focus and kept missing.

Is it supposed to be like that? Or was something wrong with it? It was running 2.10 firmware if that makes a difference.
>>
>>3148160
I do love hearing my research was done well.
I thought the same when it comes to m43. Even though reviewers all say 'you can barely tell the difference' the difference in sensor size doesn't seem like a small deal.

One last thing I'm worried about is the lens..the new 16-50 doesn't come with a hood, but every third party hood on amazon has people saying it shows up in the pictures so obviously that's no good and I also heard a cheap UV filter to protect the lens is not an option either since it'll negatively impact the images.
Should I just hope nothing goes wrong and use the lens 'bare' or is there something I can do?
>>
File: 5514fa902b92a.jpg (108 KB, 700x650)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>3148368

The front element is pretty far recessed so it isn't all that much of an issue.

You could try certain hoods, but I don't bother with one.

I would certainly recommend the auto lens cap though.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:02:10 14:58:07
Image Width700
Image Height650
>>
>>3148371
Just googled this thing a bit and wow that's pretty amazing for a 15 dollar product.
Wish I didn't just spend 10 bux on a lens cap strap.
>>
>>3136159
newfag here, it's a great camera. Definitely worth the buy

>>3148183
I found the Fuji system easier to use than I did with a canon surprisingly
>>
thoughts on the AE1 for a first camera? cheap as hell and seems good to learn on
>>
Today I bought second hand:
-eos 50D + battery + 2x 64GB
-battery grip + 2 batts
-50mm f1.8
-28-80L F2.8-4
for my first setup. How bad did I do?
>>
I only have a beginner nikon D3400 right now with the AF-P 18-55 kit lens

I have some extra cash, so I'm going to buy an X-T20. Should I keep the 3400 and use it for a cheap telephoto camera since the 70-300 is super cheap for nikon, or should I sell it.
>>
>>3135472
I would tell you to get the best camera that you can afford that has at least two control dials (one for aperture and one for shutter speed, or in a priority mode, the priority (aperture or shutter) on one and exposure compensation on another. For Canon, that's typically one of the x0D cameras and Nikon one of the D7xxx or above. You're on your own to figure out other brands. I'd put this well above dynamic range or megapixels. You can chase either of those later on. Right now, having more direct control over exposure settings makes it much better for practice and it gets you more used to how controls are on the higher end bodies so there's less adjustment if you do eventually move to one.
>>
>>3145143
>tell me what to buy because I'm retarded and don't really care about this
>>
>>3150586
Depends on price.
>>
>>3150951
150 euro for the body, 60 euro for the grip
200 euro for the L lens, 70 euro for the 50mm
>>
File: IMG_3162.jpg (1.73 MB, 4032x3024)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
>>
>>3135472
Hey friends,

I am looking to buy myself an entry-level second hand DSLR camera for the price range of about 200$ - 300$. I checked out some articles, but I thought I'd consult myself with you guys aswell. What's a good beginner camera? Any help would be appreciated!
>>
>>3153267
I recently purchased a eos 50d for about 200$, and couldnt be happier. If you are willing to spend a bit more and a tilty screen is a must, a 60d is about 350. For me, I would rather spend that extra 150$ on 1 or 2 nice second hand lenses.
>>
>>3153280
Thank you, I will check it out!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.