[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: dodger fag.gif (1.29 MB, 413x192)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB GIF
Can you tell me a situation where M43 is actually inferior to full frame? Is it literally just shooting sports?

>shooting landscapes
>most m43 cameras have a 50 mp mode, even if they don't you can just take like 20 shots and average them in light room for an effective ISO of like 5

>portraitures
You are essentially a retard if you aren't shooting these at minimum ISO anyway. Plus half the time you are shooting with a flash and lenses like the the 75mm olympus get top marks for sharpness on DXO and sites like it anyway.

>street/reporterage photos
Unless you are shooting at night with no flash, that effective 2 stop bigger DoF is an advantage.

>macro
Macro you shoot at like f/8+ anyway

>tl;dr
I don't shoot sports so what benefit would I even have getting rid of my m43 that I can fit in my pocket and is a billion times more portable than a DSLR?
>>
Four thirds looks like a toy and not a professional system camera, with the exception of the $2000 Olympus model. That is the sad state of affairs in 2017.
>>
>>3150671
IDK, I've only gotten complements on how my camera looks. I also think 99% of people I see with the DSLRs look like retards because they shoot full auto
>>
>>3150678

That's your opinion, not the public's. You also aren't shooting in a commercial capacity day to day, correct? It's a simple truth that the guy with the bigger camera will always look more "pro" to the uninitiated.
>>
>>3150671
So the price is the only justification of a camera worth buying?
>>
>>3150682
I'm also not a pro photographer so I really don't need to carry around a 5 pound camera with a 10 pound piece of glass on it
>>
>>3150667
>landscapes
Narrow angle of view.
You also lose out on detail because you're bumping into the resolving power of your glass and averaging only works if your scene is perfectly still.

>portraiture
not my field, don't care

>street/reportage bigger DoF is an advantage
...how? The only time it would be advantageous is in lower light situations when getting a useable shot at all is more important (i.e. better high ISO performance is more important) and most DoF issues at wider apertures are solved by stepping a little farther back and not focusing at your minimum focal distance.

>macro, always at f/8+
Depends on conditions and at smaller apertures again, you want better higher ISO performance.

>tl;dr
If it makes your life easier then do it. Why feel the need to justify whatever works for you to strangers on the internet? Fuck, go buy an old Uhaul, poke a hole in the side and paint emulsion on plywood if it suits what you want out of a camera.
>>
>>3150667
If you have equally sharp glass on m43 and ff, the ff image will be 4 times sharper. This is why m43 lacks the pop of ff.
>>
My pen F is fantastic for strolling around the city. It's so unintimidating and light so it makes the perfect travel camera.
Shame it's not weather sealed though...
>>
>>3150678
>I also think 99% of people I see with the DSLRs look like retards because they shoot full auto
How can you tell? You go up to random people checking their nobs?
>>
>>3150809
not him, but i do
just makes me feel bette
>>
>>3150775
I leave my pen F in p mode. Checkmate, FFags.
>>
>>3150851
I went up to some highschool girl checking her nobs, and then they called the cops. At court I told the jury it "just makes me feel better".
>>
ITT: nitpicking about pointless shit that's only impossible to work around if you're totally talentless
ITT: whining about how X camera looks better "in the public eye" as if anyone should be giving a fuck about what random people on the street think about them

You insecure fucks amaze me every time.
>>
>>3150775

Lol wut
>>
>>3150667
Is that Dodger? Fuck..
>>
>>3150890

It's not random people on the street, it's models, clients, etc.

"Hurh well it's the photos that count who cares what they think"

I agree, 100%, but the fact that using a smaller body even introduces the smallest iota of doubt into the client's mind is a disadvantage.
>>
>>3150806
shoulda went with a E-M5 desu
>>
>>3150667
pixel shift stuff isn't something you can count on. To get the most out of it you need to be shooting from a tripod, and it needs to be calm. It's worth it on a K1 because when it works it's goddamn amazing. But to have to get it to "work" just to get something on the same level as other cameras could do handheld in any weather would be very tedious.
Also very wide lenses for crop are expensive, don't exist, or suck, I can't imagine it would be better for M43

also I find myself doing portraits in all sorts of environments. Maybe in a studio where you have complete control iso 100 all the time is doable, but out in the real world it's very nice to be able to shoot at 1600 and know that as long as it is exposed right it's going to look great anyway.

If you like your camera just keep it bro. M43 can be lots of fun. but if you're making threads to defend it with techniques that you would quickly realize suck if you actually used them for any length of time, you're probably not actually enjoying taking pictures anymore anyway.
>>
File: 1449967137433.jpg (129 KB, 550x540)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>Can you tell me a situation where M43 is actually inferior to full frame?
All of them
>>3150966
You have never worked with a single professional model or client, so shut the fuck up lol
>>
>>3150682
>uninitiated
>commercial capacity
Pick one, posturing faggot.
>>
>>3151030

Lol wut
>>
>>3151049
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>3151050

┬┐Lol que?
>>
>>3150940
FF has 4 time the area of m43, so at the same pixel pitch it will have quadruple resolution. If the lens used resolves-pixelperfect resolution, you thus gain 4x the data.
>>
>>3151058

You're conflating spatial resolution and linear resolution. two different things, sorry mang
>>
File: greenbox.jpg (68 KB, 398x323)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>3150667
>Can you tell me a situation where M43 owners will actually stop trying to feel better by asking pointless questions?
Also the Sonys.
Jeez your inferiority everyday is showing.
>>3150678
>I also think 99% of people I see with the DSLRs look like retards because they shoot full auto
Well you must see some entry level peeps then.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePhase One
Camera ModelP 25
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width640
Image Height480
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2011:01:03 19:26:37
ISO Speed Rating50
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width398
Image Height323
>>
>>3150667
Full frame has way better lens selection.
That's the main reason to pick a certain system.

Also I don't see how a m43 with f/1.4 lens is "a billion times more portable" than a mirrorless FF with f/2.8 lens.
>>
>>3150667
They're inferior to everything when things move and when the sun starts to set. It's hard for the user to focus himself, and the camera itself is helpless at focusing.
>>
>>3150809
The flash will go off when they don't expected it, plus full auto is a different color than the rest of the settings.

You can always tell the full auto from the fact the flash is going off at times it shouldn't though
>>
>>3151058
Then why do lenses like the m43 voightlanders and 75mm olympus consistently hit the top of the resolution scales on websites that test lenses?
>>
>>3151294
shitthatdidnthappen.txt
>>
>>3151375
You're engaging the mouth-foaming retards on /p/ in a format war. No one here is going to give you a straight answer. Stop seriousposting.

HURR DURR FOUR TURDS FOOL FRAME CROP BABBY DUR DURRR

that's all /p/ is worth. that's all its for. If you want actual discussion go to fred miranda or something holy fuck
>>
>>3150667
>>3150667
The best thing about not using M43 is that you don't have to justify it to yourself or other people. You don't have to make threads and argue with people about how "it's just as good."

It's so enjoyable to use a camera and not have to worry about "is it as good as X?" Just taking pictures and enjoying the experience is something M43 users will never experience because they are riddled with insecurities.
>>
File: IMG_5492-768x432.jpg (81 KB, 768x432)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
m43 falls short when it comes to depth of field.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationUnknown
Image Width768
Image Height432
>>
>>3151475

Who cares? Shallow depth of field is lame.
>>
Everyone post M43 cameras.
Beautiful!
>>
>>3151425
Like you would know. The closest thing to street/documentary you've probably ever shot was someone's back from 20 feet away.

Maybe you've never been let down by your camera, since flower macros and bad portraits aren't exactly demanding tasks.
>>
>>3151520
Imagine being this insecure about your gear
>>
>>3151520
What aperture do you use for street?? If you shoot at F4 or smaller then M43s can match this easily. This is why M43 is often used for street.
>>
>>3151638
Post one good street/journalism photograph taken with a M4/3.
>>
>>3153784
Post one good street photograph...
>>
Started with a M43 camera but copped a FF on the cheap earlier this year. M43 falls short when it comes to
>low light performance
>lens selection
>depth of field
>overall image quality

I plike M43 however because
>portability and weight - I hike and mountaineer
>depth of field can be advantage too
>price

So despite owning a FF I still find myself using my M43 because it's fun lightweight point and shoot material that delivers generally decent image quality.
>>
>>3150851
i'll feel even better if you try to walk up to see the knobs on my d810

long story short there are no mode knobs on it so checkmate faggot
>>
>>3151638
>f8 and be there
But I prefer f16 and no focusing at all
>>
i like fuji cams cause its easiest to set to my incident light meter
>>
>>3151638
Nobody uses microdick 4/3 for street. Not anyone decent, at any rate.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.