[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 46 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: 1510475126267.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Is Cannon gonna die like Nikon? Are all camera manufacturers in trouble now that compact cameras are dead?
>>
>>3188011
They make shitty cameras with bad glass but people still buy them unlike Nikon because they’re the Apple of photography and a fashion statement.
>>
>>3188012
Haha yeah, no.
>>
The future is Sony and Panasonic

Canonfags and nicucks BTFO
>>
>>3188047
>The future is Sony
ahahahahaha!
>>
>>3188027
The 6d mark 2 has the dynamic range of a second gen m43 camera...
>>
File: screenshot.png (154 KB, 957x714)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
>>3188011
Dream on, faggot
>>
>>3188174
The DR on most canons are shit. The 5dm3 is on par with like the sony A-3000 ... yes, the 3000. I'm not sure why someone buys that fucking garbage? The landscape photographers who use canons must be paid to use that kind of gear.

Canon won't die because they are a diverse company that doesn't rely on their photography side. Nikon is trying to do the same with some medical imaging shit but we'll see how it works out for them.

In terms of momentum, Sony is definitely on top right now.
>>
>>3188182
Good morning Moopco
>>
>>3188181
Did you read the chart? Their growth was due to compact cameras, whose market shrinks more and more each year as camera phones implement better software.

Interchangeable lens camera --> -5%
compact camera (i.e point and shoot) --> + 15%
>>
>>3188011
>Are all camera manufacturers in trouble now that compact cameras are dead
That's cause you want the photo industry to die subconsciously
>>
>>3188181
So, they are dying.
>>
>>3188011
Is Phase One dead?
>>
>>3188182
What (((professional))) shoots landscapes with anything less than MF film or digital?
>>
>>3188173
>new canon vs 4 year old sony
Seriously embarrassing
>>
>>3188207
Do you even know what the (((echoes))) mean?
>>
>>3188209
prob thinks its like an extra exaggerated sarcastic quote rather than the juice
>>
It's pretty fucking sad that you can't even post photos from all these Canon/Nikon/etc compacts to the world's biggest photography site. That alone has doomed compacts.

>>3188208
>jpeg
absolutely disgusting, you fucking pleb.
>>
>>3188213
>>3188220
>$1800 camera vs $3300 camera
>that raw performance

Ouch!
>>
>>3188226
>dat butthurt of a Sony toy fanboi
kek
>>
File: KGNhM596.jpg (144 KB, 1060x1060)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>3188231
What's there to be butthurt about? Sony is growing, canon is shrinking. A 4 year old sony camera that costs less than half of a brand new canon camera, out performs the canon. Theres not a single thing in this thread to upset me. You on the other hand, seem quite butthurt
>>
>>3188235
I see more colors under the Canon side...how is Sony out performing the canon?
>>
>>3188242
>how is Sony out performing the canon
It isn't. Sony's a joke.
>>
File: 1509919411796.jpg (175 KB, 645x729)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>3188242
You aren't supposed to see colors on thin black lines. I know it's hard or canon brainlets to understand what moire is, but it's actually NOT a good thing
>>
>>3188235
Well, it's fine and all to have such nice iq. Too bad the whole camera becomes a useless brick when the buffer gets full after about 15 seconds.
>>
>>3188242
>>3188244
I think the anti-sony shills are worse than the sony ones. But I'm 80% sure the colors guy is jebaiting you guys.

Nikon, Sony, Olympus, etc are all coming out with great cameras. Fucking samsung had some of the best aps-c cameras and sharpest lenses.

Canon is surviving through a baseless reputation alone. The 6Dm2 is a kick in the nuts and the 5D lineup has such terrible DR that it makes me cringe that all the youtube landscape togs whose shots consist of

>lake district, moody shoreline

all primarily use Canon bodies.
>>
>>3188262
Why would a landscape photographer care about the 1 stop deficit of DR? Landscape photographers for decades used slide film with about 6 stops of DR. Having a lot of DR doesn't change bad light, and bad light is usually contrasty light when it comes to landscapes.
>>
>>3188267
Are you implying that it's better for a photographer to have 6 stops instead of 14 or 15? If the tech is there why would you not try to take advantage of it?

Also
>Having a lot of DR doesn't change bad light, and bad light is usually contrasty light when it comes to landscapes.

What idea are you even trying to express right here?
>>
>>3188274
A landscape with 15 stops of dynamic range is going to be during broad daylight, which is not good light for landscape photography. Hence dynamic range is pretty far down the list of things that a landscape photographer cares about in a camera system.
>>
>>3188244
>>3188262
OH. im sorry, thanks. I genuinely thought that was a legitimate comparison and was confused for a second.
>>
>>3188279
Not true. I was out taking photos during a sunset the other day, with a tree in the scene. Some of the sky was poking through the clouds and it was nearly clipped. I use ettr, so it wasn't but the darkness on the tree was quite dark. I was able to recover the shadows, but only because I have that available to me
>>
File: images.png (7 KB, 231x218)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>3188208
>>3188226
>>3188242
The absolute state of Canon right now
>>
So is the only thing that Canon has over its competition dual pixel af?
>>
>>3188288
and MUH ERGOS
>>
>>3188283
Were the darkest tones of the tree 15 stops below the brightest tones of the sky?
>>
>>3188297
Not sure how to measure that exactly. This is one of the images
>>
Real time status

Fujifilm: eating glue at the corner, but damn, that's a good glue
Pentax: asking for permission to be used
Phase one/Hasselblad: IDGAF only rich fags buys me either way
Leica: ARE YOU TRYING TO BLOCK MY STYLE *directly to Fujifilm
Panasonic: *quietly making a blackmaginc fit into a DSLR Leica without a red circle in it, working like a son of a bitch
Nikon: working on a lab 24/7 trying to be flawless and bringing up monsters behind monsters and trying to not fuck with it
Sony: Woking on a lab 24/7 trying to copy Nikon to each of it's aspect and add +1 to everything. Releasing camera after camera because last camera they got something wrong that a simply firmware update can't fix. People are crying over forums trying to explain to themselves why they bought into this trap
Canon: Don't care about competition. He's selling for newbies, a lot, making it a huge hobby for everyone, even professionals. Are trying to create some courage to ask some Fujifilm's glue
>>
>>3188011
JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP JUST BECAUSE
>>
>>3188347
no one even talking about Olympus.

Just fuck my shit up.
>>
>>3188011
all im going to say is, nikon products are absolute garbage, and they deserve to die. canon lenses are still better than sony as far as build quality
>>
>>3188208
>original 5D
>new
you seem to have made an error
>>
File: 151980057-640x479.jpg (132 KB, 640x479)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Don't ever change poopco .... just fuck off somewhere else for a couple of lifetimes

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width640
Image Height479
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:11:14 08:31:48
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width640
Image Height479
>>
File: holy shit.png (242 KB, 584x312)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
>>3188226

Kek
>>
>>3188208
I believe you’ll find, if you look a bit closer at that screenshot, that you’re comparing a 4 year old Sony to a 12 year old canon at 3200. And it’s actually surprisingly not that bad.
>>
>>3188464
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_IV

The 4-year old 7R (itself btfo by 7rii and 7riii) btfos BOTH Canon's 12-year-old shitstain for a camera AS WELL AS their 1-year-old shitstain for a camera.
>>
File: fullsizeoutput_1.jpg (1.42 MB, 3603x3136)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>3188458
you're still dumb as fuck for buying as df lol

sonyfuji masterrace

Camera SoftwarePhotos 2.0
Horizontal Resolution72
Vertical Resolution72
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3603
Image Height3136
>>
>>3188011
Canon has a mirrorless system unlike Nikon. If anything it'll take far longer for them to die.
>>
>>3188497
nikon has a mirrorless system
its 1 inch, but they still have it
>>
>>3188498
okay a relevant and growing system then.
>>
>>3188496
>fuji
nah. screw x-tranny
>>
>>3188501
bayer filter is also garbage
and anything with an AA filter is garbage

at least x-trans doesnt have an AA filter
>>
>>3188510
>bayer filter is also garbage
false
>>
>>3188516
nah fuck RGBG. Id rather have WWWW. But at least compromise on RGBW or something for fuck sake

Actually I think CMYW is feasible and would blow everything else the fuck out
>>
File: square_wheels.jpg (68 KB, 452x512)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>3188533
>Muh engineering durrgree

Human vision is most sensitive to green. There's a reason bayer hasn't ever gone away. You're reinventing the wheel for no reason.
>>
>>3188542
>You're reinventing the wheel for no reason.
hey jackass, there is a reason. its called light transmission, which translates to sensitivity and low light performance

a bayer filter blocks 75% of all incoming light. bayer filters made sense when digital image sensors were invented but they bayer pattern is *not* efficient at all, it is obsolete dogshit
>>
>>3188553
CMY filtering was done in the early days of digital. Everyone moved over to some form of RGB because with CMY, it takes 2 photosites to determine a color, which means the demosaicing algorithm goes from making educated guesses to making wild-ass assumptions about what the colors should be.
>>
File: yakitorisan.jpg (12 KB, 480x360)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>3188553
You take that back, nobody insults my choice of sensory layout. I MUST DEFEND MY HONOR.
>>
>>3188563
everything you just said is bullshit. both cmy and rgb would use 3 photosites to determine color

even going from just rgbg to rgbw would bump transmission from 25% to 44%; a substantial increase.

though again, Id prefer a www option for 100% transmission
>>
>>3188012
> he thinks a camera is a sensor
> he doesn't understand the trade-offs of high DR

ITT: people who care way too much yet don't know enough
>>
>>3188542
>Human vision is most sensitive to green

OK.

But the reason isn't so we can enjoy photos more.

If you're living in the future where photos can contain live creatures that can jump out and attack you, your point would make sense.
>>
lel
>>
>>3188407
Is that from a 5d MK I?

The MK IV has been out for ages.
>>
why are you guys arguing about this

just go take some pics man
>>
>>3188569
The increase in light transmission is at the expenses of color resolution, and increases artifacts.
Monochrome sensors exist, go get one and color your photos I guess.

>>3188646
The point is that the bayer pattern is analogous to human vision is compression. Most digital photos end up as compressed formats, so having twice the green increases the data that will actually used in viewing. The first colors to be thrown away are red and blue, since human vision can be cheated.
>>
>>3188458
Reminder that you took these pictures with a Dƒ---->
>>3150010
>>3164431
>>3172284
>>3174849
>>3185646
>>
>>3188855
rgbg, rgbw, and cmyw all have the exact same color resolution. the difference between the 3, is that rgbg has the worst light transmission
>>
>>3188855
monochrome ILC cameras are virtually non-existant. I can think of only one. and its not cheap
>>
File: Aptina CFA Comparison.jpg (98 KB, 972x481)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>3188882
They don't, this is demonstrably false. I could care less about SNR on paper, visually halving the green channel will always yield less actually visible color information after interpolation, unless what you're shooting is only lit by red and blue light.

https://www.maxmax.com/shopper/category/9241-monochrome-cameras

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Camera SoftwareGoogle
PhotographerVladimir Koifman
Image Width972
Image Height481
>>
>>3188891
3 of those are 50% white, which is not what im talking about. the remaining shows "slightly worse" artifacts with benefit of improved signal to noise, while not mentioning the benefit of 20% greater transmission.

and none of it addresses cmy
>>
>>3188891
also, that appears to show rwbw is better in every way than rgbg
>>
>>3188933
I'm only talking about the RGBW you keep jerking off about.

In regards to the RBC sensor, these are not raw readouts, but post de-noising. The RBC is a subtractive model, and introduces noise from both the red and blue channels into the green. Human vision can perceive noise in the green channel the most, hence why bayer has two greens. It is indeed more sensitive, but more noisy with less color resolution in every situation but extreme low light.

>not mentioning the benefit of 20% greater transmission.
What do you think SNR is...?

Now I know for a fact you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>3188939
x-trans has even more green so i guess thats best
>>
>>3188933
I mean, not to resort to the ol’ appeal to authority, but I feel like if a color array other than RGBG gave noticeably better results, some camera company would’ve actually thought to try it by now?

Like, these guys have very clever R&D departments. If they could get 20% more light transmission without serious drawbacks, I feel like they would have done it and crushed all of their competition. By contrast, I don’t put a heck of a lot of faith into an anonymous armchair sensor designer on /p/.
>>
>>3188933
Not the other anon but you're a fucking idiot. CMY has higher light transmission because each photosite has a much broader spectral response, but each frequency is conflated across several sensor sites, making accurate color data much harder to interpolate.

There's a reason no one uses CMY filters anymore. It was tried and considered a failed experiment.
>>
>>3188954
That's the thing: camera companies tried all this shit 15 years ago. RGGB won out because it makes the best image.
>>
>>3188939
snr and transmission are not the same thing
now i know you have no idea what youre talking about
>>
>>3188954
fuji has x-trans
canon JUST patented an rgbw filter

non rgbg are used all over the place in smaller image sensors. cmy filters are still made for cell phones and other small sensors
>>
>>3188962
More transmission means more signal and less noise....

I'm done with you.
>>
>>3188968
sure, one affects the other. but to say theyre the same, is objectively wrong
>>
>>3188972
I never said they were the same, you claimed that the post didn't mention any benefit to a white pixel, whereas the picture clearly shows an increased SNR.

You're objectively retarded.
>>
>>3188955
>Until recently, however, only the RGB pattern has been employed due to issues with color fidelity and sensor manufacturing, although the CMY pattern has much better quantum efficiency and spectral response. CMY-based patterns have, in fact, been used in the
video world for years. Now, though, due to groundbreaking advancements in sensor design and a better understanding of system noise sources, CMY deployment has become
possible, bringing important advantages to the camera designer.

>The major advantage of the CMY-based filter array is sen-
sitivity. In photographic terms, this sensitivity results in
superior performance across a wide range of light expo-
sures (ISO ratings). The improvement is the result of two
main attributes of the CMY CFA: better light transmission
and a stronger color signal.

Face it, RGBG sucks.

>http://www.jayandwanda.com/dpreview/sensors/kacBetterColorCMY.pdf
>>
>>3188973
>you claimed that the post didn't mention any benefit to a white pixel,
no i didnt. i said it didnt mention transmission. then you said "what do you think SNR is"

and since theyre not the same, my statement still stands, that chart does not mention transmission, which is different than SNR
>>
File: retard.gif (878 KB, 500x396)
878 KB
878 KB GIF
>>3188978
If I scrub hard enough, I may be able to get your trolling stupidity off.
>>
>>3188984
>Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argumentative strategy whereby an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself
>>
>>3188976
Yeah, that's a press release, which is not generally the most reliable source of technical information. Not only that, it's a press release from Kodak, a company that no longer makes image sensors, so clearly it's rather old.
>>
>>3188011
What's wrong with Nikon?
>>
>>3188976
I, too, get all my information from 15 year old Kodak brochures.
>>
What the fuck is even going on in this thread? Someone explain
>>
>>3188571
/thread
>>
>>3188012
>canon
>bad glass
I'm sorry you can't afford them
>>
>>3188207
You know, the ones who are actually professionals and not just youtubers
>>
>>3188012
>[Canon cameras are] a fashion statement.
>implying that the design language of Canon is sufficiently different from Nikon, Pentax, or Sony for one to be more fashionable than the others, or even recognizable other than by the name written across the front
>>
>>3188510
Have you actually compared Fuji samples with everyone else? They’re shit. Sony actually has the best sensor performance. And this is coming from a non-Sonygger
>>
>>3188458
>>3188226
>>3188208
/p/ newfag, what site is this?
>>
>>3189081
nikon have the best, then sony, this is coming from a sonygger
>>
>>3189104
Dpreview. It’s their standard test scene widget.
>>
>>3189118
>Dpreview. It’s their standard test scene widget.
thanks. And now I loose 5 hours of my life comparing images
>>
Everyone knows that both mirrorless and dslr tech is gonna become obsolete and the smartphones will take over. It's 100% fact.
>>
>>3188011
Never because most people getting into photography are going to want to upgrade in the future. Sony had a good thing going until the fucked it up with their "star eater"
>>
>>3188352
s-shut up! camera will win [spoiler];-;[/spoiler]
>>
>>3189356
LOL
>>
>>3188011
they made an anime.
so, no.
>>
File: 1137-8241.jpg (983 KB, 932x1400)
983 KB
983 KB JPG
>>3188878

reminder that I shot this on it too and you didn't because you're poor and can't afford to travel and see the country. btw I'm in New Orleans today and 5 days ago I was staying the night in the Yakima Valley in Washington State

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON Df
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern800
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:08:19 23:14:15
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3189860
Kanon still makes me cry.
>>
>>3189959
imagine being proud of this, the absolute state of americans
>>
>>3190279
>>
>>3190339
wow a usable image with a subject and framing... are you sure you meant to post it, tripfag?
>>
File: 1499705887788.png (360 KB, 2000x1499)
360 KB
360 KB PNG
>>3190382

you probably know where you fit on here

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.