[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: vid gen p2.jpg (113 KB, 1501x1080)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
Paul Thomas Anderson doesn't believe in cinematographers Edition
http://collider.com/phantom-thread-cinematographer-paul-thomas-anderson/

>STICKY - https://pastebin.com/VPXjjKqq
>Helpful books - https://pastebin.com/kG0gRmTZ

Here we discuss techniques, gear and anything else related to capturing video footage. Please don't pretend to be an expert if you don't know what you're talking about. Kindly leave your ego at the door.
Posting short films or other work you've done is encouraged.

We tend to use and recommend DSLRs/mirrorless cameras because they provide phenomenal picture quality for their price, have large sensors (ie the same size used in high-end cinema cameras and higher) and have interchangeable lenses. In contrast, consumer camcorders normally have much smaller sensors and a fixed lens.

>READ THE STICKY
>If you ask a dumbfuck question, you will be mocked
>If you pretend to be an expert, you will be mocked
>If you act like a dumbass, you guessed it, you will be mocked

>if you just want the 'best' camera available on a “budget”, buy a Blackmagic pocket cinema camera
>if you want a camera that works for not much, buy a canon 650d

Previous thread
>>3163258
>>
so I have to edit a video, im looking at after effect vs premier pro.

I like after effects more, iseem to be abel to do everything in it. and it seems to have more features. but then I aint got deep into premier pro.

what are the differences between these 2 programs?
>>
>>3188366

Everything. One is an actual fucking NLE program
>>
>>3188366
I would never edit an entire video in after effects. I wouldn't even be sure how to do it effectively.
Premiere pro is an actual nle. If you use it substantially, the differences should be beyond obvious
>>
>>3188371
well I can do all my colour editng. wb, levels, curves, I can cut, fades transitions, stabilization. some audio stuff. I don't know what more I need that premier can do?
>>
>>3188388
If AE can do everything, then go ahead and use it if it's so great. Just make sure you feel suitably retarded when you get a third of the way into your project and realize all the ways in which AE isn't set up to be used that way.
>>
>>3188388
but you can do all of that in premiere too?
>>
>tfw struggling to decide between the a6500 or the gh4

I do photography too, so it''s sad.
>>
>>3188395
Are you looking for advice? Or just complaining about choices?
>>
This is my first time putting together a test video and it has been comical to say the least in this small town where I live. Are there other sites besides CL where I can post an ad for non actors to help complete my project? Thanks for your input.
>>
>>3188420
facebook, 100% unironically
>>
>>3188401
Advice.

Love some of the capabilites on the gh4, and hate that the a6500 has shit tier screen, menus and no headphone jack.

That said, the sony seems like a more solid choice if photography is a factor, and the form factor is perfect for travel photography and havin it around all day
>>
>>3188438
>Anonymous 11/14/17(Tue)00:26:32 No.3188438▶
I think the fact that you're doing photography makes the 6500 a pretty clear choice.

However I'll go ahead and say a few other things video wise.

You can get used to any menus.

What do you want a headphone jack for? I've been shooting for 6 years and I've never used a headphone jack. If you're doing it right you're recording audio on a separate device, period.

The screens are all shit. You'll need an external monitor to get anything even approaching usable.

The a6500's IBIS is handy, and you can push the ISO higher before you run into issues.

The only thing the gh4 has that I envy is a proper waveform monitor. That's it. If we were comparing the gh5 instead then maybe you could make an argument for higher bit depth footage with better subsampling.
>>
Realtalk,
Is Paul Thomas Anderson going to go down as the greatest American director of all time?
>>
>>3188487
Phantom Thread looks gorgeous, I've been looking forward to a proper serious drama from PTA for a while
Inherent Vice wasn't my jam and The Master was almost great, but it feels like it fizzles out at the 2 hour mark
TWBB and Punch Drunk-Love are kino though

also, on topic, any advice for not breaking my wrist holding a K-3?
my arm starts falling asleep almost immediately holding the screw on handle, even with the arm rest attached
should I just man up?
>>
>>3188388
Edit the cuts in Premiere, then round trip the audio stems to Audition, then fuck it up if you need to in After Effects (which isn't great for colour - try DaVinci Resolve)
>>
best way to achieve this look without shelling out insane amounts of cash for the anamorphic adapter listed in the description or cropping in post?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJAWOK6xGQ

there’s gotta be a good anamorphic lens out there for those on a budget right?
>>
>>3188614
You frequently find vintage glass which has been modded to achieve this effect. A popular DIY method is to take a circle of black card, cut a vertical oval into it and tape a piece of transparent thread across the centre horizontally. Then put that either between your sensor and lens, in front of your lens, or ideally in the middle somewhere.

Personally I find questing after the 'anamorphic' look silly as it's much more artificial-looking than circular bokeh and no flare.
>>
>>3188395
I’ve got a GH4 and so far so good once you get beyond the learning curve. I believe every top brand has its strong points that sell and or convince you to buy it. I choose the GH Panasonic family for a few reason e.g., affordability / Budget, functions and competitive features. Francis Ford Coppola film competition involving the GH2 Panasonic that went up against Sony F65, Canon C300, Red Epic, and Arri Alexa with the GH2 outperforming it’s competition and choice of FFC. Don’t now why Nikon wasn’t a part of the competition. The info on winner on the competition wasn’t released for several months assuming the overall embarrassment of not being the choice Camera. Again, the name brands all have great functions with some drawbacks, but it is how you make the best of the tool you own. I reflect on Sean Baker and his film “Tangerine” shot on an iPhone and submitted to Sundance.

He’s doing a film title “The Florida Project” starring Wilem Defoe and a budget of a million dollars. We tend to forget these things and how they got there by using or making the best of what is available.
>>
>>3188614
I’ve searched everywhere for a good deal on an anamorphic lens with no luck. Nobody cared about them a few years and now they come at a high used price also. Shopgoodwill has an auction lens section, but goodwill has caught on the the legacy lens craze and so has everyone else for that matter. I am finding some of the Russian lenses that do interesting Bokeh fascinating and cheap, but not enough to use in film, yet.
>>
>>3188457
So with you on the “record on a separate device” I can understand if you don’t have the budget for an external recording device, but ZOOM has some cheap external devices that’ll do the job providing you have a decent mic on the other end of the boom pole. For the fun of it I test recorded using the camera mic and it was terrible. Gotta have good audio if you’re serious about filmmaking. Carry on . . .
>>
>>3188438
Hope you don’t do nighttime lapse of the Galactic core if you choose the Sony for I recently learned the Sony is a “Star Eater” I like Sony’s low light capabilities et al, but bought the GH4 for other reasons. Do a Google search “Sony Star Eater” and you’ll find plenty of info. Carry on . . .
>>
>>3188864
>>3188866
>carry on . . .
>dat waste of digits on such autistic posts
how did you find this place?
>>
>>3188873
I don’t mind if you don’t cuz I time on my day off. Gun forum
>>
>>3188873
Okay, you’re right about the autistic forum. I’ll chill . . makes me laugh now that I think about it.
>>
File: 1499695021738.jpg (30 KB, 650x365)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>3188883
>gun forum
>the dots are literally pew pew pew
back to /k/ with you killer!
nah I'm just being a dick, don't mind me anon
>>
Hey /p/

Here in my agency we are trying to film a commercial that involves a guy doing freestyle with a soccer ball on flames...

¿How can we archieve it? I mean, setting the ball on fire without risk.
>>
>>3189406
There liquids that burn at very low temperatures. Alternatively you could cgi it in post.
Finally, there's a gel you can which would make your actor pretty much impervious to burns
>>
>>3189406
>setting the ball on fire without risk.
Just hire someone who you don’t mind burning and get him to sign a contract that says it’s not your fault if he bursts into flames. Boom, risk gone.

Seriously, though, this would be more a question to ask on like a burning-man-affiliated forum rather than a photography forum.
>>
>>3188366
>reddit spacing
>not knowing the difference between adobe products
you have to go back
>>
>>3188395
GH4, hands down
>>
>>3188512
Maybe.

I’m a scrawny 120lb male with very little muscle mass and I have no issues holding mine.
>>
File: Leica-TL2-1024x683.jpg (73 KB, 1024x683)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
So, I currently have about 2k$ saved up for a new camera, is the Leica TL2 a solid choice for video? I was initially going for a GH5 like almost every single /vid/rgin since my current camera is a GF3 and therefore most of my gear is Lumix / Olympus 4/3rds oriented but I've seen a bunch of anons sperging about how rad the raw in the Leica is.
>>
>>3189914
No man, just get the GH5, or Blackmagic if you want an actual film camera.
>>
>>3189914
Wait for the sony a7siii, it will be announced in like January probably.
>>
>>3188388
All your edits will be done slower and take more time. Forget about easy multicam editing, advanced audio channel mapping. You will also not reach 250+ APM needed to edit professionally.
>>
>>3189955
okay, regarding audio is there any advantage of sending the audio from premier pro to audition?
all I should need to do is, de noise, compress. maybe a couple of other stuff.
>>
I want to film my own action movie on a budget. I want a 4k camera. If it records in raw, much better.

I kinda wanted an a6300/a6500 but I heard they have terrible rolling shutter. So the A7rII.

So what do I buy for less than 4k usd? Must have close to none rolling shutter, 4k, and raw recording.
>>
>>3189988
You want 4k raw for less than $4000?
Only options are blackmagic ursa 4k, Red One, or a magic-lantern-hacked Canon 5d mkiii.
>>
>>3189998
I cant find the blackmagic ursa 4k, only ursa mini pro. Is it the same?
>>
File: DMwiObSVwAAWZB8.jpg (673 KB, 1200x799)
673 KB
673 KB JPG
What camera do they use to shoot the videos of BLACKEDRAW??

It looks amazing
>>
>>3190001
Maybe. There's this thing called "doing basic research for yourself"
Here's some help
google.com
youtube.com
>>
>>3189949
Ty, Blackmagic was also one of my first choices but I also want it to be multi-use for /p/hotography. Maybe a second hand BMPCC for the ~700$ mark can work as a competent secondary? Meanwhile, guess I'll go for the GH5.

>>3189952
>Sony
No, I'd rather fuck myself with a rake over giving money to Sony.
>>
>>3190007
He just said he couldn't find it in his own research, you arrogant retard.
>>
>>3190016
It took me five seconds to find the various cameras offered by black magic, their specifications and their prices.
If he genuinely can't find that information on his own then he lacks the basic minimum intelligence needed to function in this industry.
Fuck you for encouraging this level of hand-holding.
>>
>tfw a cheap, simple production shuts down when the house you were gonna use becomes unavailable and you can't find another one which isn't very expensive
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
I should just go back to uni where I'm surrounded by uni friends who's houses I could use...
>>
File: Smug Disney Face 2.png (300 KB, 486x454)
300 KB
300 KB PNG
>>3190072
>tfw fratbro
>tfw it pays to have friends with loyality ties
>>
>>3190003
Not sure. They're obviously using a ring light, though.
>>
>>3189960
You can handle all of that in Premiere.
>>
>>3190677
>>3189960
Doing it in Audition won't add much time to your workflow and you're going to get much better results.
>>
>>3190682
Except you're using the same plugins to do it. So not really.
>>
>>3188366
After Effects takes way longer to preview. Premiere (which is an actual NLE software) will be a much smoother process.
>>
>>3190737
What? Since when can you do spectrograph editing in Premiere?
>>
>>3190796
Since when do you need a spectrograph to do denoising, compression, or other basic stuff?
>>
File: 9000hours.png (21 KB, 1485x990)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
Hey guys, looking for a permanent "rack" for my camera and av-type equipment (mics, monitors, etc.). Basically doing a production that requires perfectly level, symmetrical shots of the stuff on the table and using a tripod is driving me fucking crazy. And it needs to clamp to the table, or be free-standing I guess.

Sorry for the noobish question, but it's just kinda hard to come up with the right search terms for this type of thing.

picrelated, illustration of the rack I'm looking for
>>
>>3190958
It could even just be the top part of a tripod, only it clamps to a table instead of sitting on three legs.
>>
>>3190802
Because the best way of getting rid of noise and artefacts is to use samples from your spectrograph? Audio cleanup is one of the most important parts of post-production, and you just can't do that in Premiere.
>>
File: Quenchiest.png (430 KB, 720x480)
430 KB
430 KB PNG
I'm a one-man documentary crew and mostly do short videos and documentaries for free to get a portfolio.
I repeatedly fuck up lighting so i thought I'd maybe get some A6 or A7 carboard cards with lighting setup diagrams to check mine. What's a good ressource on such (B&W) diagrams?

Also, what's a good portable diffusor that can be clipped or taped to barndoors? My main light is a YN216.
>>
>>3191060
Setup diagrams? Just adjust three-point lighting to whatever location you're at, man.

You can literally buy diffusion gels. Alternatively, wax paper. I don't know how much you can usefully diffuse that little light though, the output is low enough that you're probably already having difficulty competing with the natural light, no?
>>
>>3191061
I don't always have three lights with me. I need to stay very light and mobile. Most times I just have my YN216 and an Ultrapod with me. i have to work with room lighting.
>>
>>3191070
Then a diagram isn't going to help you at all, man. Set exposure for the lighting you can't control, then add your light where it's needed.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with the Godox LED36?
I barely get to use my Neweer CN-160s because they are too bulky and too weak to be worth carrying them around and they hold way more Batteries than I need, most of my shoots are much shorter. How do the Godox compare? They seem small and compact enough. I can find barely any proper review from people I trust on YT.
>>
>>3191138
Depends how you're using the light. Those little on-camera lights are going to be dim as hell.
>>
>>3191144
I wouldnt use them as mainlights except in very needy situations. I got a decent keylight, what I need is:
>something that can fit into my bag so I always have a light with me
>a decent fill light

The advantage of the smaller lights would be that I can take 2-3 with me in the same space as a Neweer CN-160 and can set them up at different positions if need be.
>>
>>3191148
I don't have any first-hand experience with anything that small. Everything in my kit is aputure, and I'm happy with it, though. Maybe look at the AL-M9? I know that one at least has some coverage on places like dslrvideoshooter.
>>
>>3191151
I looked at the AL-M9 and while it is tiny, it has next to no light output compared to the CN160, or even the Craphy 176, which i didnt get at the time because I didnt want to buy Sony batteries, but now I'm regretting it. It's so much smaller.
I do watch DLSR Videoshooter's comparisons and I really considered asking that question during a stream.
>>
>>3191156
Well, these lights are all super cheap. I guess you don't have much to lose by just choosing something and seeing what happens.

You could always spend a bunch on a lume cube if you really need small portable light sources.
>>
>>3191159
Yeah I was wondering about that.
I'd probably bounce it off a whall tho. I can barely find any specifications in Lumens, only in Watt-equivalents (which I find dodgy at best for accurate comparisons)
>>
>>3190958
>>3190959

pls respond ._.
>>
>>3191513
Go to the hardware store and buy some wood and clamps and attach a few ballheads to it. I don't know man, but this isn't something you can just buy on amazon or whatever.
>>
>>3191514
Well I appreciate the response. This is probably what I'll end up doing tomorrow.

I'm just thinking: surely there's a way that tabletop shooters line up perfectly level and symmetrical shots? I did find this

>https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1335754-REG/glide_gear_oh_100_adjustable_overhead_camera_platform.html

but I'm not trying to do an overhead shot.
>>
>>3191517
If I had to do it I would drill a hole in a length of 2x4 and use a 1/4-20 bolt to mount a ballhead or something to it. Then use some big C clamps and space it off the surface with more 2x4 pieces or whatever to get it the right height.

I think you'll find that almost no matter what you do you're going to have to be prepared to make some minor adjustments every time you remount the camera or your rig.
>>
>>3188339
How do I into recording a conversation between two people for a short film?
It's a fairly serious talk but I don't want it to be completely static and boring.
>>
>>3191615
I honestly cannot provide you with some form of decisive formula other than just suggesting to experiment with different framings and cuts yourself, there are far too many arbitrary ways on how to make a conversation visually interesting and you'll have to consider what substantiates that conversation in the context of your film. I can, however, tell you something you should wholly avoid: shot reverse shot. Because that shit is boring.
>>
>>3191615
Adding on to >>3191628, maybe we could spit out some ideas if you tell us what the conversation is about? Is it friendly or antagonistic? Does one character hold a significant position of power over the other or are they supposed to be on the same hierarchical level of importance? What are the themes of your film and how does that particular conversation relate to them?
>>
>>3191615
I typed a big long answer then accidentally hit escape so I'll just wait for more info. Seriously, what kind of stupid website design accounts for a one-button post delete? Fucksake.
>>
>>3191615
just b-roll me up senpai

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.